Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so to New Hampshire where one of the primaries won’t count – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,979
    Why doesn’t the spineless gimp test the will of the people and call a general election .

No one voted for his Rwanda plan so he needs to stfu about the Lords .

It wasn’t in the last Tory manifesto so they are under no requirement to pass his moronic Bill .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Why doesn’t the spineless gimp test the will of the people and call a general election .

No one voted for his Rwanda plan so he needs to stfu about the Lords .

It wasn’t in the last Tory manifesto so they are under no requirement to pass his moronic Bill .

Even better - the plan to break international law is *against* the manifesto. The Lords are going to gut the bill and so in a few months time we are back to square one in the Commons.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

I see most Britons are wrong:

Do Britons believe more migrants come to the UK legally or illegally?

All Britons
    More come illegally: 45%
    More come legally: 34%
    About the same: 8%

2019 Con voters
    More come illegally: 56%
    More come legally: 27%

2019 Lab voters
    More come illegally: 33%
    More come legally: 44%
    About the same: 7%

yougov.co.uk/topics/politic…

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1748021240009273784?t=wypuofuiGxaCltT5c08dTw&s=19

The enormous overestimate of illegal migration is presumably fed by the government talking about little else.
    I don't think it's that. Recent polling showed people think total migration levels are way way lower than they actually are - below 100k per year. The real issue is the enormous UNDERestimate of legal migration.

It's another reason I don't get the sense migration is directly and noticeably affecting people's day to day lives now in the way it did - in certain areas - before the referendum. Otherwise they would be coming up with much higher estimates of legal migration.

Utter shite. People are noticing. And that noticing is about to surge
    They're evidently not noticing the actual numbers of legal migration. They think total migration is below 100k
    Just because some blithe midwit vineyard-owning lefty twat like you doesn’t care about immigration and doesn’t want his compatriots to care does NOT mean people less rich than you don’t care

They are now beginning to twig. You can sense it. The influx is so vast

The reason there is a delay between reality and political opinion is because Brexit. Voters assumed they’d pulled the lever on mass immigration and stopped it. They forgot that politicians are all venal liars

They are now waking up to this
    I am looking at what polling says at the moment. Maybe it will move and we'll be in rivers of blood territory in a year's time but that's not what the surveys are saying now.
    What happens when Reform start trumpeting the 1.3 million? This could well sink Rishi.
    Precisely

And, when Labour takes over this year, the Tories will shamelessly blame all the migration on Labour

And it will work. Because voters are only just waking up now to the scale of what is happening in Britain and to Britain. We are set for a massive right wards shift on this issue, under PM Starmer. What will he do?!

The Tories are lying bastards but in this instance their utter mendacity will work for them

I see no reason - none at all - why the UK will not follow the rest of the western world towards a hard/far right form of governance

It will be anti migrant, nativist, and belligerent. It will shift money towards defence spending over welfare. It will be tax light as that is the only way to attract capital. It’s coming and it’s not going to be pretty
    I’m pretty confident that the Tory opposition to the incoming government isn’t going to get any traction any time soon.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I miss the days when we were assured Sweden didn’t want anything to do with NATO, although they need to come up with better Operation names, it’s no Able Archer or ReForGer.

Nato members will send 90,000 troops to the alliance’s largest military exercise since the Cold War.

Britain is deploying 20,000 soldiers to Operation Steadfast Defender 2024, which starts next week and will continue until the end of May.

Gen Christopher Cavoli, Nato’s most senior commander, said the exercises would demonstrate the alliance’s ability to quickly “reinforce” its territory in the event of an attack.

Exercises will take place in Germany, Poland and the Baltic States in what is widely expected to be a simulation of war with Russia.

Troops from all 31 Nato members and Sweden, a candidate for membership, are taking part.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/01/18/ukraine-russia-war-live-st-petersburg-drone-strike/

Red Storm?
    Was there ever a good alt-hist where NATO were the aggressors? "Red Storm Rising" and "By Dawn's Early Light" both had faked NATO attacks as the initiator, but otherwise it was always the Soviets as bad guys
    The Soviet warplans claimed to assume a NATO surprise attack.

Invariably, though, the "Surprise NATO attack" was assumed to have conquered not an inch of Warsaw Pact Territory and destroyed nothing. And the Warsaw pact units were all assumed to be at maximum readiness. And raring to go, on the border....
    Ah, nostalgia. Warsaw Pact, Reforger, Fulda Gap, Cheyenne Mountain, rotate your key, jumpers for goalposts... :)
    Operation Jumpers for Goalposts would confuse our dear American friends 😄
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1748021240009273784?t=wypuofuiGxaCltT5c08dTw&s=19

The enormous overestimate of illegal migration is presumably fed by the government talking about little else.
    I don't think it's that. Recent polling showed people think total migration levels are way way lower than they actually are - below 100k per year. The real issue is the enormous UNDERestimate of legal migration.

It's another reason I don't get the sense migration is directly and noticeably affecting people's day to day lives now in the way it did - in certain areas - before the referendum. Otherwise they would be coming up with much higher estimates of legal migration.

They're evidently not noticing the actual numbers of legal migration. They think total migration is below 100k
    Just because some blithe midwit vineyard-owning lefty twat like you doesn’t care about immigration and doesn’t want his compatriots to care does NOT mean people less rich than you don’t care

The reason there is a delay between reality and political opinion is because Brexit. Voters assumed they’d pulled the lever on mass immigration and stopped it. They forgot that politicians are all venal liars

I am looking at what polling says at the moment. Maybe it will move and we'll be in rivers of blood territory in a year's time but that's not what the surveys are saying now.
    What happens when Reform start trumpeting the 1.3 million? This could well sink Rishi.
    Precisely

And, when Labour takes over this year, the Tories will shamelessly blame all the migration on Labour

And it will work. Because voters are only just waking up now to the scale of what is happening in Britain and to Britain. We are set for a massive right wards shift on this issue, under PM Starmer. What will he do?!

The Tories are lying bastards but in this instance their utter mendacity will work for them

I see no reason - none at all - why the UK will not follow the rest of the western world towards a hard/far right form of governance

It will be anti migrant, nativist, and belligerent. It will shift money towards defence spending over welfare. It will be tax light as that is the only way to attract capital. It’s coming and it’s not going to be pretty
    Could be like Germany where the government polling is in freefall over migration iirc.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

Trying to conflate the Commons refusal to implement the result of the referendum with the Lords thwarting the Rwanda bill is straw clutching from Rishi I think. I don’t remember explicitly voting for it, and neither does anyone else

Coming across like a poor man’s Theresa May

Do not frustrate the will of the people'

In a press conference this morning @RishiSunak urged members of the House of Lords to 'do the right thing' after his Rwanda Bill passed through the Commons
    itv.com/news/2024-01-1…

https://x.com/itvnewspolitics/status/1747930712110498127?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Indeed.

If Rishi underperforms vs expectations in the same way as Mrs May did, the Tories could be down to 50 odd seats....
    Sunak & Sir Keir are so devoid of any charisma, if there were a charismatic, straight talking, non Tory or Labour politician out the conditions are ripe for a Cleggasm. I’d say Farage but is he too well known?
    We're looking at a non-charismatic landslide victory. Nothing like 1997 in that sense.
    Who thought Attlee was charismatic, in 1945?

The trouble with - but also the (short-term) advantage for, Starmer, is that it is so easy to project onto him whatever is is that you would like to believe.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,549
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Precisely

Though if we talking mendacity, bear in mind that net numbers will fall a fair bit automatically; student numbers are currently showing a net inflow because there were fewer 2020/1 starters who would otherwise be leaving now.

As for the rest... Of course we could have fewer foreigners coming here to work. I'm a bit busy, so who should we have taking up that slack?

Meanwhile, I'm sure some will continue to froth and frot about a fairly small part of the total.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Precisely

The next political wave may well be anti migrant and "nativist" as you call it but it will be pro welfare especially for poor locals and pro tax rises especially on foreign tax domiciles and businesses. They will also ask (with some justification) how so much of Britain's infrastructure came to be in foreign ownership and will seek to repatriate it back into British hands.

It will be strongly pro local business and strongly anti big business especially multinationals.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    edited January 18
    FPT: There is no economic reason why Britain can't import housing, if you want to.

In the US, RVs are often used as homes. For example, I've been told about a friend of a friend, who retired and is doing just that, right now. He and his wife sold their home, bought an RV, and are now touring the US. There are now about a million Americans who have become "digital nomads", so that couple has plenty of company.

About 20 million Americans are now living in trailers. If automobiles and trucks can be shipped across oceans, profitably, so can RVs and trailers.

And then there are the new manufactured homes, such as those built by Boxabl, which might be even cheaper to ship. (The cheapest was selling for about 50 thousand dollars, last I checked.) https://www.boxabl.com/

(A sharp British businessman might start by importing one of these three options, and then use the profits to build a factory in Britain to make more, or at least assemble more, there.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,753
    Immigration is one of a number of politically salient issues but it waxes and wanes in salience, a long term decline in concern about it since the end of empire being overlaid by shorter periods of rapid rise and fall.

The migration observatory is an excellent resource and full of good stats

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/uk-public-opinion-toward-immigration-overall-attitudes-and-level-of-concern/

It's worth reading all of it but the key chart is figure 3. Salience, as we all know, increased through the noughties up to the referendum with a brief pause while everyone did the financial crisis. It then plunged, but has been rising again since 2021.

Whether we're at the cusp of Leon's apocalypse when the streets will run red with the blood of idiotic vineyard owners or in a bit of a bump while Rishi bangs on about boats remains to be seen. My guess is probably somewhere between the two, but we'll see.

Also interesting how much "defence / terrorism" has plummeted in the last year as Ukraine fades from consciousness. Clearly the Gaza upheaval and Houthis shooting across the Red Sea isn't worrying people much here yet.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Too late for the previous thread but this post addresses in considerable detail a rather interesting flaw in the government's approach to Rwanda.
    https://readmemyrights.blog/2024/01/16/73/

Put shortly (and it is well worth the read) the SC decision was based upon very detailed reports from the UNHCR who have the not inconsiderable advantage of having over 300 staff working in the country. The conclusions that the SC came to in light of this information were:
    (1) Rwanda has, in fact a very poor record in dealing with refugees.
    (2) Their Human rights record is abysmal.
    (3) Their assurances are not worth the paper they are printed on.

The theory of Parliamentary Sovereignty is that Parliament can declare white is black and, in law, it is. But this is really through the looking glass. As the article points out the Evidence produced by the government at the end of the last year really doesn't address the points made by the SC or the conclusions they made. So we are going to have an Act of Parliament stating that Rwanda is a safe country when the overwhelming and largely uncontradicted evidence is that it is not. Bluntly, this makes the PO's assurances that the Horizon computer system was reliable seem both credible and reasonable. And it makes the UK look ridiculous. Which is embarrassing enough but if people end up dying for this nonsense it will be little short of credible.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    Lab leak has been proved, btw. Not that anyone cares anymore. Nonetheless, it came from the lab

https://x.com/r_h_ebright/status/1747874378170167435?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

“The most important thread this year, s1/s2 FCS & confirmation of the @WashburneAlex & @VBruttel hypothesis on six segment assembly of sarscov2 is a damning confirmation of DEFUSE or a DEFUSE-adjacent project as the proximal origins of sarscov2.”

https://x.com/virologyanon/status/1747837936148910558?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

“Game over. The latest revelations provide precise confirmation that all the many suspicious features of sars-cov-2 which imply it was man made were set out in exhaustive detail in the DEFUSE proposal to which Wuhan institute of virology was a partner. twitter.com/vbruttel/statu…”

https://x.com/mattwridley/status/1747885852905050593?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

Sadiq Khan ‘pauses’ English language requirements for private hire drivers in London.

https://x.com/sadiqkhan/status/1747646645825622219

Surely no longer needed, now that most private hire is via Uber.

(I got into an Uber the other day here in LA, and my app said "Your driver is hearing impaired. If you wish to contact her, please reach out via the app.")
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Here is the very basic problem. Millions of people have been whipped to dislike immigrants. And muslims. And lefties. And so on. So migration is now a pretty visceral issue, especially in left behind communities who blame the forrin for all of cuts to services.

But - the Tories have focused obsessively on Stop The Boats. Those are visible. But lets assume that their wildest dreams come true and the boats do stop. Will that make people happy?

No - because they assume that Stop The Boats means less foreigners. And there is a growing tide of legal migration that the Stop The Boats party are letting in (rightly). Rather than Stop The Boats delivering, it will infuriate. Why are there more and more migrants? Didn't we Stop The Boats to get rid of them?
    It's noticable that the people who like to bang on about threats to democracy are the most contemptuous of the average person's abilty to known their own mind and understand their own interests. Any opinion they hold contrary to the prevailing orthodoxy can only be the result of nefarious actors whipping them up into a frenzy.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 400
    Interesting data point from the YouGov.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    DM_Andy said:

So 25% of voters are really quite shockingly naive?
  • Options
    gonatasgonatas Posts: 12
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

Is that really surprising?

45% saw the Angles, Saxons and Jutes risking treacherous sea crossings in small, poorly equipped boats, and just wading ashore. And so, naturally, they answer that they came here illegally. Whereas the minority of subscribers to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle knew that Hengist and Horsa had been invited over by Vortigern, and hence had arrived legally.
    Didn't they come over on a valid work permit - but then overstay?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

Trying to conflate the Commons refusal to implement the result of the referendum with the Lords thwarting the Rwanda bill is straw clutching from Rishi I think. I don’t remember explicitly voting for it, and neither does anyone else

In a press conference this morning @RishiSunak urged members of the House of Lords to 'do the right thing' after his Rwanda Bill passed through the Commons
    itv.com/news/2024-01-1…

https://x.com/itvnewspolitics/status/1747930712110498127?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Indeed.

If Rishi underperforms vs expectations in the same way as Mrs May did, the Tories could be down to 50 odd seats....
    Sunak & Sir Keir are so devoid of any charisma, if there were a charismatic, straight talking, non Tory or Labour politician out the conditions are ripe for a Cleggasm. I’d say Farage but is he too well known?
    We're looking at a non-charismatic landslide victory. Nothing like 1997 in that sense.

The trouble with - but also the (short-term) advantage for, Starmer, is that it is so easy to project onto him whatever is is that you would like to believe.
    Big set piece interview with SKS at 2030 on ITV1.

If you can stay awake...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,841

FPT: There is no economic reason why Britain can't import housing, if you want to.

In the US, RVs are often used as homes. For example, I've been told about a friend of a friend, who retired and is doing just that, right now. He and his wife sold their home, bought an RV, and are now touring the US. There are now about a million Americans who have become "digital nomads", so that couple has plenty of company.

About 20 million Americans are now living in trailers. If automobiles and trucks can be shipped across oceans, profitably, so can RVs and trailers.

And then there are the new manufactured homes, such as those built by Boxabl, which might be even cheaper to ship. (The cheapest was selling for about 50 thousand dollars, last I checked.) https://www.boxabl.com/

(A sharp British businessman might start by importing one of these three options, and then use the profits to build a factory in Britain to make more, or at least assemble more, there.)

No thanks for lots of obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,518
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

itv.com/news/2024-01-1…

Indeed.

Sunak & Sir Keir are so devoid of any personality, if there were a charismatic, straight talking, non Tory or Labour politician out there, the conditions are ripe for a Cleggasm. I’d say Farage but is he too well known?
    No.

If he gets himself on to the TV debates, and renames Reform 'Nigel Farage's Reform Party', they stand to do very well. They should do the renaming thing now and see it it affects the polls actually.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sadiq Khan ‘pauses’ English language requirements for private hire drivers in London.

https://x.com/sadiqkhan/status/1747646645825622219

Surely no longer needed, now that most private hire is via Uber.

(I got into an Uber the other day here in LA, and my app said "Your driver is hearing impaired. If you wish to contact her, please reach out via the app.")
    Who wants a lecture from an Albanian on how the country is going to the dogs anyway?
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

My perfect storm scenario isn't impossible.

If Reform start polling close to the Tories and Farage gets on board, the election could end up with similar dynamics to 2017 but with Keir Starmer in the role of Theresa May and Nigel Farage in the role of Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Remember that “the science” not only told you that it “surely came from the wet market” but they explicitly told you that any other idea - like, say, this new creepy bat virus came from the official “creepy bat virus lab 20 feet away” was nonsense, and more than that: a “racist conspiracy theory”

So successfully did “the science” do this, they managed to persuade Twitter and Facebook to take down, for a year, any comment that even suggested the bat virus might have come from the bat virus lab, not the market which never sold bats

That is what happened
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

Cicero said:

Good afternoon from Gatwick. Sensational business meeting this morning, so well worth the trip. But. Roads were unpleasant for a chunk of the drive to the airport yesterday, and today can best be described as snowmageddon.

I wonder if I will actually make it home tonight? Back to Aberdeen, no problem. Beyond that, not sure...

It could be a bit of a Dyce-y journey.
    The Glens will be a bit tricky. Check before you leave Dyce.
    I just got the train back into Aberdeen from Dyce. All the trains on the Inverness line are running late and there are a lot of cancellations - amusingly the anouncements say because of 'predicted severe weather' rather than because of actual severe weather. There is still about 4 inches of snow on the ground at Dyce and I presume it gets worse as you move out of the immediate environs of Aberdeen.

I willl be spending the weekend waiting on choppers in Aberdeen. I was supposed to fly up to the Shetlands tomorrow and then on from there ouit into the Atlantic for 3 weeks on the Ocean GreatWhite - the largest semi-submersible drilling rig in the world. Unfortunately (particularly for my back to back) the weather has been so bad that no choppers have made it to the rig this week. Lots of people who already spent Christmas and New Year offshore now not able to get home.

Predictions are 70 - 80 mile an hour winds over the next week so not sure I will be going anywhere for a while.
    I'm due to land just after 9pm. Main roads are ok around Aberdeen. Its north of Ellon where it gets exciting. An awful lot of places where the snow is being blown off the fields onto the road. But all my routes home are plowed and gritted, and they are out again now to do them all again.

We will see! Otherwise I will be in an airport hotel...
    A lot of the airport hotels are full of rig workers waiting to get offshore. It is better in town.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Precisely

The next political wave may well be anti migrant and "nativist" as you call it but it will be pro welfare especially for poor locals and pro tax rises especially on foreign tax domiciles and businesses. They will also ask (with some justification) how so much of Britain's infrastructure came to be in foreign ownership and will seek to repatriate it back into British hands.

It will be strongly pro local business and strongly anti big business especially multinationals.
    Yes, that’s possible
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

And a graph where the peak positive response is just 12% tells us what, exactly? Except that few of us trust any of them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    Biden of course conveniently won SC in 2020 but lost NH in the primaries.

Haley really has to run Trump close in NH having come third in Iowa to have a chance, it is a state which is more moderate than the US average, with an electorate more educated and wealthier too than the US overall. It is also full of Independents
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Here is the very basic problem. Millions of people have been whipped to dislike immigrants. And muslims. And lefties. And so on. So migration is now a pretty visceral issue, especially in left behind communities who blame the forrin for all of cuts to services.

But - the Tories have focused obsessively on Stop The Boats. Those are visible. But lets assume that their wildest dreams come true and the boats do stop. Will that make people happy?

No - because they assume that Stop The Boats means less foreigners. And there is a growing tide of legal migration that the Stop The Boats party are letting in (rightly). Rather than Stop The Boats delivering, it will infuriate. Why are there more and more migrants? Didn't we Stop The Boats to get rid of them?
    It's noticable that the people who like to bang on about threats to democracy are the most contemptuous of the average person's abilty to known their own mind and understand their own interests. Any opinion they hold contrary to the prevailing orthodoxy can only be the result of nefarious actors whipping them up into a frenzy.
    See earlier poll about people banging on about immigrants. They are woefully misinformed. Not accidentally but deliberately by design by politicians and media. Not sure why that is controversial on a political betting site. Just basic anaylsis.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

And a graph where the peak positive response is just 12% tells us what, exactly? Except that few of us trust any of them.
    Farage has the most cult-like following.
  • Options
    edited January 18

Static caravans are already available here. Sites vary in whether they allow permanent or just holiday residence.

One of my oldest friends was* a farm worker's son brought up in one in the corner of a field, with no heating or plumbing. It was pretty horrible in winter.

*now RIP, lung cancer

• Options

DM_Andy said:

If Reform start polling close to the Tories and Farage gets on board, the election could end up with similar dynamics to 2017 but with Keir Starmer in the role of Theresa May and Nigel Farage in the role of Jeremy Corbyn.
    I’d absolutely vote for Farage over Starmer

I will not vote for Sunak
  • Options

isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

itv.com/news/2024-01-1…

Indeed.

Sunak & Sir Keir are so devoid of any personality, if there were a charismatic, straight talking, non Tory or Labour politician out there, the conditions are ripe for a Cleggasm. I’d say Farage but is he too well known?
    No.

If he gets himself on to the TV debates, and renames Reform 'Nigel Farage's Reform Party', they stand to do very well. They should do the renaming thing now and see it it affects the polls actually.
    The problem though is that the Reform vote is strongest where the Conservative vote is strongest - we saw in the Clacton poll last weekend it would require Farage to be the candidate for Reform to win but without him they are third and while their vote is 18%, Labour's vote was up 15 points so the Conservative vote was peeling off to both Reform and Labour leaving the fifth safest Conservative seat looking like a marginal.

One way to ensure a Labour landslide is to have Reform running at 10-20% across a swathe of Conservative constituencies in the Midlands and Eastern England.
  • Options
    edited January 18

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Lots of support but a low ceiling too, which is why no UKIP parliamentary candidate apart from the Clacton defector ever got elected.
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

See earlier poll about people banging on about immigrants. They are woefully misinformed. Not accidentally but deliberately by design by politicians and media. Not sure why that is controversial on a political betting site. Just basic anaylsis.
    The way you've framed that is an example of what I mean. It's not necessary to pass a test on numbers like that to have a valid political opinion.

If you did a survey among attendees of COP28 about the composition of the atmosphere, how many would give answers in the right ballpark? I would guess shockingly few.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Lots of support but a low ceiling too, which is why no UKIP candidate apart from the Clacton defector ever got elected.
    How much is the low ceiling down to the expectations the Tories will poll 2x or more than refuk/ukip so the latter is the wasted vote. If the gap narrows further they have a realistic shot to slingshot past into the low twenties.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

There is already a significant static caravan industry. There is a loophole whereby they are exempt from planning and building regs as they are temporary structures. You can buy one for as little as £40k new or second hand for a fraction of that. It is a depreciating asset though so not a good investment compared with constructing a permanent house. Any new entrant needs to get around the regulatory issues which make it advantageous to go down the static caravan route if you want to build and sell a cheap modular house.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I thought you were educated so I’m surprised you’ve fallen for his bullshit.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

According to Leon the average person is such an imbecilic bigot that a far right government is going to be elected soon.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Lots of support but a low ceiling too, which is why no UKIP parliamentary candidate apart from the Clacton defector ever got elected.
    Do we not count the Traitorous Pig Dog in Rochester and Strood?
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

No no, this is just adding. The opinion that the “average person” holds is incorrect. Wrong. In error. It isn’t up for debate, it’s just adding.

So we get to why their opinion is wrong? It’s because someone has lied to them.

I have no problem with people holding ideas and views that are opposite to my own. This is a democracy. But how can we have a genuine debate and make real world decisions when voters are lied to and made to believe the opposite of what reality is?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

It’s different this time, with the genuine possibility that the Tories might absolutely implode to sub-100 seats

Britain is not suddenly a pro-Labour, pro-Starmer country. It is a country desperate for an alternative to the pathetic rabble of shysters that is the Tory government

Farage would tempt a lot of people. Me included. I don’t think he is a particularly nice man and certainly not a great political intellect - but maybe he could shake things up. Change the trajectory of decline

I don’t see Starmer doing that
  • Options
    Well.

Netanyahu says he opposes Palestinian state in any postwar scenario

Benjamin Netanyahu has said he informed the US that he opposes the establishment of a Palestinian state as part of any postwar scenario.

Israel will only agree to a deal that would see the country gain security control over the entire Gaza Strip, the Israel prime minister said at a news conference on Thursday. He said:

In any future arrangement … Israel needs security control all territory west of the Jordan. This collides with the idea of sovereignty. What can you do?

Netanyahu added that he had “told this to the Americans”, adding:

The prime minister needs to be capable of saying no to our friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/jan/18/middle-east-crisis-live-updates-latest-news-us-military-strikes-houthi-rebels-yemen-pakistan-attack-iran
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

I miss the days when we were assured Sweden didn’t want anything to do with NATO, although they need to come up with better Operation names, it’s no Able Archer or ReForGer.

Nato members will send 90,000 troops to the alliance’s largest military exercise since the Cold War.

Britain is deploying 20,000 soldiers to Operation Steadfast Defender 2024, which starts next week and will continue until the end of May.

Gen Christopher Cavoli, Nato’s most senior commander, said the exercises would demonstrate the alliance’s ability to quickly “reinforce” its territory in the event of an attack.

Exercises will take place in Germany, Poland and the Baltic States in what is widely expected to be a simulation of war with Russia.

Troops from all 31 Nato members and Sweden, a candidate for membership, are taking part.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/01/18/ukraine-russia-war-live-st-petersburg-drone-strike/

Able Archer II - let's go.

Still, you'd have thought with that level of effort and 31 nations involved NATO could put clearly over 100,000 ground troops into it.

That's the level of mass you'd need to stop Russia absolutely.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/24060090.scottish-government-raises-availability-food-concerns-brexit/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=180124

One for @RochdalePioneers I think.

'The scheme sets new rules for how imported goods arriving in Britain from abroad are processed – introducing new digital health certificates for the likes of live plant and animal products.

It is due to come in this month but Rural Affairs Secretary Mairi Gougeon (below) said information on how it should be implemented at Scottish ports had not been “forthcoming” from the UK Government, in a letter seen by The National.'
  • Options

Well.

Benjamin Netanyahu has said he informed the US that he opposes the establishment of a Palestinian state as part of any postwar scenario.

Israel will only agree to a deal that would see the country gain security control over the entire Gaza Strip, the Israel prime minister said at a news conference on Thursday. He said:

In any future arrangement … Israel needs security control all territory west of the Jordan. This collides with the idea of sovereignty. What can you do?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/jan/18/middle-east-crisis-live-updates-latest-news-us-military-strikes-houthi-rebels-yemen-pakistan-attack-iran

So he wants to add Gaza and the West Bank to Israel? No chance of any peace deal on that grounds then, even if he defeats Hamas others will then replace them
  • Options
    Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

So the rest of us now know what to do.
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

The way you've framed that is an example of what I mean. It's not necessary to pass a test on numbers like that to have a valid political opinion.

If you did a survey among attendees of COP28 about the composition of the atmosphere, how many would give answers in the right ballpark? I would guess shockingly few.
    Please define “valid political opinion.” If someone says “there are 100,000 people coming in legally and I think it’s too high” then that is valid. Based on reality, honestly held. We don’t have that. We have people saying “100,000 illegals are here and I think that’s too high.” That isn’t valid because they people they think are too high don’t actually exist.
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Lots of support but a low ceiling too, which is why no UKIP candidate apart from the Clacton defector ever got elected.
    How much is the low ceiling down to the expectations the Tories will poll 2x or more than refuk/ukip so the latter is the wasted vote. If the gap narrows further they have a realistic shot to slingshot past into the low twenties.
    Low twenties is not enough, you need low thirties to win a seat, even with split opposition. That's what I mean by low ceiling.

We have a couple of byelections next month. I expect Reform to lose their deposits in both.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

itv.com/news/2024-01-1…

Indeed.

The test of him will come in government. As for now I'm not sure how he could do much better. Would a charismatic Labour leader be 30 pts ahead? Perhaps but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Leon said:

https://x.com/charles_lister/status/1747806854585934121

In the past week alone, the Middle East has seen an insane scale of cross-border conflict:

Pakistan <-> Iran
    Houthi -> Red Sea shipping
    Iran -> Syria
    Iran -> Iraq
    Hezbollah -> Israel
    US/UK -> Yemen
    Turkey -> Syria
    Jordan -> Syria
    Iran proxies in Iraq -> Israel

Does feel quite world war-ish
    Ah, fuck it. Just NUKE Iran and Syria.
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

I wouldn't have a scooby about the composition of the atmosphere so I would listen to the experts if I needed an opinion about it. I wouldnt expect any view I held about it to be of equivalent merit or substance as that as of a climate scientist.

The problem with your suggested approach of all views need to be treated as valid is it simply doesnt work.

If people want to stop migration and think they can do that by stopping the boats it is nonsense because the vast majority of migration has nothing to do with the boats.

Lets imagine the Rwanda policy works magically (it will fail abysmally as normal but lets pretend) and all illegal migration is wiped out. There would still be several hundreds of thousands net migration and the same underlying issues and problems.

What we need to do is have politicians and media be honest about migration and government to build housing and infrastructure to match it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

It’s different this time, with the genuine possibility that the Tories might absolutely implode to sub-100 seats

Britain is not suddenly a pro-Labour, pro-Starmer country. It is a country desperate for an alternative to the pathetic rabble of shysters that is the Tory government

Farage would tempt a lot of people. Me included. I don’t think he is a particularly nice man and certainly not a great political intellect - but maybe he could shake things up. Change the trajectory of decline

The man is a drunkard pub bore, so I see why you feel some affinity.

He couldn't even manage a party (UKIP had endless fall outs with each other) let alone a programme for government.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/24058233.yougov-second-poll-finds-support-royal-family-50-per-cent/

Specially for @TSE

I won't bother HYUFD, out of the goodness of my heart. But

'In Scotland, just 33% of people prefer the royal family – the lowest figure out of all the UK nations - according to the pollster's data.'
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I’d like a bit of…. Hope. Hope that things might really change

I get none of that vibe from Starmer. He is the definition of Carry On As Normal. Ffs he kept his knighthood. Sir Keir royale. He’s another fucking idiot who wont change anything. As he and his friends are doing fine, thanks, they all live in £1m+ north london houses

Farage is a wealthy stockbroker city boy with some ludicrous opinions and even stupider shorts. But he might just change things. He is our Javier Milei

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Low twenties is not enough, you need low thirties to win a seat, even with split opposition. That's what I mean by low ceiling.

We have a couple of byelections next month. I expect Reform to lose their deposits in both.

Low twenties with a good geographic split could be interesting. They could wipe out the Tories and complete the Bluekipper takeover.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I get none of that vibe from Starmer. He is the definition of Carry On As Normal. Ffs he kept his knighthood. Sir Keir royale. He’s another fucking idiot who wont change anything. As he and his friends are doing fine, thanks, they all live in £1m+ north london houses

Farage is a wealthy stockbroker city boy with some ludicrous opinions and even stupider shorts. But he might just change things. He is our Javier Milei

I cannot imagine what first attracted you the chap with the well known antisemtic tropes and conspiracy theories.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/28/jewish-groups-and-mps-condemn-nigel-farage-for-antisemitic-dog-whistles
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

He couldn't even manage a party (UKIP had endless fall outs with each other) let alone a programme for government.
    On the other hand, Farage is not a tedious sexless autistic provincial quack with no friends, so I can see why he doesn’t appeal to you
  • Options
    edited January 18

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

I wouldn't have a scooby about the composition of the atmosphere so I would listen to the experts if I needed an opinion about it. I wouldnt expect any view I held about it to be of equivalent merit or substance as that as of a climate scientist.

The problem with your suggested approach of all views need to be treated as valid is it simply doesnt work.
    Then perhaps we should scrap universal suffrage and accept that the arguments against it were well founded all along.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24058233.yougov-second-poll-finds-support-royal-family-50-per-cent/

Specially for @TSE

'In Scotland, just 33% of people prefer the royal family – the lowest figure out of all the UK nations - according to the pollster's data.'

Be still my beating heart.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411

Leon said:

https://x.com/charles_lister/status/1747806854585934121

In the past week alone, the Middle East has seen an insane scale of cross-border conflict:

Pakistan <-> Iran
    Houthi -> Red Sea shipping
    Iran -> Syria
    Iran -> Iraq
    Hezbollah -> Israel
    US/UK -> Yemen
    Turkey -> Syria
    Jordan -> Syria
    Iran proxies in Iraq -> Israel

Does feel quite world war-ish
    Ah, fuck it. Just NUKE Iran and Syria.
    "It's the only way to be sure..." ?
  • Options
    edited January 18

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Then perhaps we should scrap universal suffrage and accept that the arguments against it were well founded all along.
    It is probably better than the alternative. But of course, we should recognise that it is far from perfect and that when the public are ill informed they are unlikely to make coherent and sensible judgements.

It is the job of politicians to lead and inform, not merely follow opinion polls.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24060090.scottish-government-raises-availability-food-concerns-brexit/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=180124

One for @RochdalePioneers I think.

'The scheme sets new rules for how imported goods arriving in Britain from abroad are processed – introducing new digital health certificates for the likes of live plant and animal products.

It is due to come in this month but Rural Affairs Secretary Mairi Gougeon (below) said information on how it should be implemented at Scottish ports had not been “forthcoming” from the UK Government, in a letter seen by The National.'

As we currently understand it, the new regime finally starts at the end of the month after repeated delays. And immediately goes into shadow operation where even if you don’t have the required paperwork they are letting you in anyway for 3 months.

It’s an utter farce again. We demanded sovrinty but we are too shit to implement our own deal. The only saving grace being that not implementing it is better for the country than actually imposing self harm on ourselves as planned.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

On the other hand, Farage is not a tedious sexless autistic provincial quack with no friends, so I can see why he doesn’t appeal to you
    Ah didums!

Fetch @Leons "special medicine" please nurse!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,307
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Do we not count the Traitorous Pig Dog in Rochester and Strood?
    Enough of your Reckless commentary!
  • Options

Well.

called it. I said at the start he would try to use this crisis to eliminate Gaza and annex the West Bank.

Didn't expect him to be quite so blatant as this though.

Hopefully as soon as the war ends (and I note he's prolonging it) this dozy old crook will be tossed in a jail cell where he richly deserves to be.

Like his fellow mad populist crook Trump.
  • Options

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I cannot imagine what first attracted you the chap with the well known antisemtic tropes and conspiracy theories.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/28/jewish-groups-and-mps-condemn-nigel-farage-for-antisemitic-dog-whistles
    My god, Farage used the words “globalist” and “cultural Marxism”. Someone call the Irgun brigade
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

All Britons

2019 Con voters

2019 Lab voters

Precisely

This 'right' agenda is a bit short on detail. And if you think cutting welfare will appeal to its supporters think again. Its ranks depend on pensions, free stuff, subsidised housing, sickness and invalidity benefits, NHS, state provision generally as much as any; (cutting welfare for the nameless others would be popular, but actually hard to do).

What will occur in respect of hard policy and practice and putting belligerent rhetoric aside?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296
    Leon said:

Lab leak has been proved, btw. Not that anyone cares anymore. Nonetheless, it came from the lab

https://x.com/r_h_ebright/status/1747874378170167435?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

“The most important thread this year, s1/s2 FCS & confirmation of the @WashburneAlex & @VBruttel hypothesis on six segment assembly of sarscov2 is a damning confirmation of DEFUSE or a DEFUSE-adjacent project as the proximal origins of sarscov2.”

https://x.com/virologyanon/status/1747837936148910558?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

“Game over. The latest revelations provide precise confirmation that all the many suspicious features of sars-cov-2 which imply it was man made were set out in exhaustive detail in the DEFUSE proposal to which Wuhan institute of virology was a partner. twitter.com/vbruttel/statu…”

https://x.com/mattwridley/status/1747885852905050593?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Proved by publishing data on that well known peer reviewed journal X?
  • Options
    I read this posters like @williamglenn and quietly boggle. The issue isn’t me trying to dismiss legit views of voters. The issue is that when you think most migration is illegal and have been promised it will stop, you aren’t going to be happy when Stop The Boats finally happens and find there are still a hundred thousand more of them arriving every year.

It is basic expectation management. When you lie to people you can’t then sell them reality- they want the lie.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    It's quite amazing how many scenarios mooted for the next election seem to tally with everyone eventually coming around to the poster's own opinions.
  • Options

I read this posters like @williamglenn and quietly boggle. The issue isn’t me trying to dismiss legit views of voters. The issue is that when you think most migration is illegal and have been promised it will stop, you aren’t going to be happy when Stop The Boats finally happens and find there are still a hundred thousand more of them arriving every year.

It is basic expectation management. When you lie to people you can’t then sell them reality- they want the lie.

I do agree with you there. The Tories have stuffed themselves completely over this issue and the Rwanda bill won't save them.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I think Starmer is playing it too safe and seem obsessed with avoiding Tory attacks . He’s going to get attacked anyway .

As for Farage you know my opinions on him. All those politicians who facilitated Brexit should be jailed and sentenced to hard labour.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Well.

called it. I said at the start he would try to use this crisis to eliminate Gaza and annex the West Bank.

Didn't expect him to be quite so blatant as this though.

Hopefully as soon as the war ends (and I note he's prolonging it) this dozy old crook will be tossed in a jail cell where he richly deserves to be.

Like his fellow mad populist crook Trump.
    My prediction, likewise

I don’t think people understand how the Israeli mindset has changed since October 7

They are going to destroy “Palestine” as an idea and, largely, as a demographic and geopolitical fact. And America won’t be able to stop them

It is going to be hellish
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I think Starmer is playing it too safe and seem obsessed with avoiding Tory attacks . He’s going to get attacked anyway .

As for Farage you know my opinions on him. All those politicians who facilitated Brexit should be jailed and sentenced to hard labour.

Fuck it. Shall we just have a civil war and be done with it? In a way I’m totally up for that

See you on Marston Moor
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

It's why (thus far) we're not heading for Canada '93. Their Reform had a regional base, which meant they smashed that part of the country and got a decent block of seats. So they were able to take over the "party of the right" mantle from the Progressive Conservatives and, eventually, take the party over.

RefUK doesn't really have a similar base- the biggest concentration is along the east coast, but even that is too diffuse to be useful in FPTP. So as things stand, the Reform effect is to gift seats from Conservatives to Labour.

It's also what distinguishes the UK from continental Europe- PR would give much more opportunity for a more forceful right party to build strength.

Anyone know what sort of national poll ratings are needed for RefUK to win a meaningful number of seats?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It's quite amazing how many scenarios mooted for the next election seem to tally with everyone eventually coming around to the poster's own opinions.

It really is quite hard to make a case for anything other than a Labour landslide on current polling and trends.

Will Starmer disappoint in power? Almost certainly, for such is the nature of the job. Will there be a mass move to bring back the blue meanies who broke everything first? Almost certainly not.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411
    Leon said:

I get none of that vibe from Starmer. He is the definition of Carry On As Normal.

:innocent:

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Low twenties with a good geographic split could be interesting. They could wipe out the Tories and complete the Bluekipper takeover.
    ...a Bluekipper takeover of a wiped out party with no seats.

Meanwhile, the LDs will mop up the orphaned One Nation Tory vote.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    Carnyx said:

Specially for @TSE

The monarchy needs to just quietly carry on. In the long run the issue would be: What is the better way that would, with mass support, replace it? There is no candidate.

By comparison, disestablishment of the CoE would be easy. But no-one wanting to be the government will touch it.

No party seeking government will put this in a manifesto. It is worth a couple of million votes lost, and few gained. Those numbers swing elections. So it can't happen, barring a series of black swans.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Carnyx said:

Specially for @TSE

Oh I see you have found the second Republic commissioned poll as they continue their agenda of pushing polls, which include elected head of state rather than republic v monarchy as it polls slightly better.

Republic are doing this of course because they are too cowardly to stand for election on their pro Republic agenda so we must continue to ignore their agenda.

Even then the fact this Republic commissioned Yougov poll finds just 31% of UK voters want an elected head of state is pathetic for them. If Republic cannot even get all the 32% who voted for Corbyn even in 2019 to support them and a comfortable majority of Scots for a republic, who can they get?
  • Options
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I don't get Farage's appeal at all. He's good at telling you what's wrong but any halfwit can point out the problems. I've never heard him articulate a coherent solution to anything. As I recall, he's an economic Thatcherite so there's nothing in that for most people.

Beyond that, he doesn't seem to like immigrants but I've never heard him offer anything on health, housing, transport or the environment apart from pandering to the angry.

Rather like Sunak, he chases public opinion wherever it takes him and agrees with whatever the angriest and loudest are shouting about. Oddly enough, one of my recollections of Thatcher was she would be calm and clear and happy to tell the public when they were wrong and she was right.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Possibly. Not sure. The elimination of the Clarke/Stewart wing of the party hasn't led to any significant change in LD support so far. Maybe the nail in the coffin moves a big lump of them across, or maybe they just disperse into a broad range of votes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

Fuck it. Shall we just have a civil war and be done with it? In a way I’m totally up for that

See you on Marston Moor
    You’re a strange character ! Who is the real Leon ?

• Options

Your problem is that you often don’t write very well and your debating points are all garbled and shapeless

Generally there is a decent idea behind the
    gibberish, even if wrong, but it is guised by the malformed prosody
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

algarkirk said:

eek said:

Thoughts and prayers for Michelle Mone and Douglas Barrowman.

Why? They are getting just what they (especially he) deserves
    We need a sarcasm symbol though I really spend less time fantasying thinking about Michelle Mone in a women’s prison.
    Easier just to keep your Irony Tracker switched to 'On'. It works when there is no mobile signal.
    Easier to assume that everything that @TSE posts is as sarcastic as his taste in shoes is loud.
    I am meeting JohnO on Saturday and I’ve bought new trainers for the occasion.
    Not just because it’s a Saturday ?
  • Options

No thanks for lots of obvious reasons.
    Not wanting to be thought a member of the SNP?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

It's why (thus far) we're not heading for Canada '93. Their Reform had a regional base, which meant they smashed that part of the country and got a decent block of seats. So they were able to take over the "party of the right" mantle from the Progressive Conservatives and, eventually, take the party over.

RefUK doesn't really have a similar base- the biggest concentration is along the east coast, but even that is too diffuse to be useful in FPTP. So as things stand, the Reform effect is to gift seats from Conservatives to Labour.

It's also what distinguishes the UK from continental Europe- PR would give much more opportunity for a more forceful right party to build strength.

Anyone know what sort of national poll ratings are needed for RefUK to win a meaningful number of seats?
    At least 15%. That's about what UKIP got when they won their single seat (Clacton).

If they get up to 20% you are probably looking at about 40 seats. That would also imply a virtual wipeout for the Tories.

FPTP is wicked.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,987
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

itv.com/news/2024-01-1…

Indeed.

When the voters see Sir Keir in action they’ll surely be put off by what a pillock he is. Saying that, there’s what seems like a nice advert for him on itv tonight at 830

Re our bet, let’s leave it as £100@3/1 as if the email never happened. I’m sorry but I don’t believe your attempt to make it look like it was a misunderstanding, I think you played a snide trick by saying you’d void it and have gone back on your word. If when I mailed you, you’d have insisted on keeping the bet I’d have accepted that, and that’s where we are so it doesn’t matter much.

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

And therein lies the question.

There's almost certainly a decent vote for "You know what, 2010-15 wasn't so terrible. Shame Dave went bad, I liked 2010 Dave." I don't know how usefully large it is, and I'm too close to judge objectively. But it's there.

Are the Lib Dems ruthless and flexible enough to scoop it up? It means Orange Book Plus probably, which won't be without cost. But there's an opportunity there... recast our 2.5 party system as (Socialist+Social Democrat) vs. (Liberal+One Nation) vs. (Conservative Nationalist); FPTP is unforgiving to the smallest party of three.

I'd want decent odds against, but the opportunity is there.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Putting some rough numbers into electoral calculus getting:

Reform 22% = 24 seats with Tories 15% = 35 seats. (LDs official opposition).

Other way around is

Tory 22% = 121 seats Refuk 15% = 0 seats (Tory official opposition).

No idea how much thought has gone into their modelling for such a scenario though, probably little to none.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

I know of a political leader who was pretty good at parties....
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

DM_Andy said:

Oh dear really !

I don't get Farage's appeal at all. He's good at telling you what's wrong but any halfwit can point out the problems. I've never heard him articulate a coherent solution to anything. As I recall, he's an economic Thatcherite so there's nothing in that for most people.

Beyond that, he doesn't seem to like immigrants but I've never heard him offer anything on health, housing, transport or the environment apart from pandering to the angry.

Rather like Sunak, he chases public opinion wherever it takes him and agrees with whatever the angriest and loudest are shouting about. Oddly enough, one of my recollections of Thatcher was she would be calm and clear and happy to tell the public when they were wrong and she was right.
    I agree with much of this. As I say, I certainly don’t see Farage as some intellectual giant. He’s barely a midget

However I do think he has a basic political cunning, some actual political rizz, and he’s a proven winner (Brexit) and he’s willing to tackle issues others won’t, especially culture wars or immigration

That said, I suspect his time is past. He can’t take over the Tory party before the GE and by the next election he’ll be knocking on in years and likely won’t fancy the hassle. Starmer will win, then fuck everything up even more, in a polite way

I will make this prediction. A younger right wing populist will emerge in the coming decade. And this person WILL want power, and will quite likely seize
    it

Its happening across the West, we are not uniquely immune
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

I know of a political leader who was pretty good at parties....
    Are these the wild korma parties?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Using EC, with LD on 8 and Green 3, and Con, Lab and Reform tied on 28, they'd win only 78.
    With Con and Lab tied on 28, Reform 25 and LD 9, Green 3, a mere 16.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Your problem is that you often don’t write very well and your debating points are all garbled and shapeless

Generally there is a decent idea behind the
    gibberish, even if wrong, but it is guised by the malformed prosody
    We are supposed to be doing our posts in blank verse?

Wow.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

And therein lies the question.

There's almost certainly a decent vote for "You know what, 2010-15 wasn't so terrible. Shame Dave went bad, I liked 2010 Dave." I don't know how usefully large it is, and I'm too close to judge objectively. But it's there.

Are the Lib Dems ruthless and flexible enough to scoop it up? It means Orange Book Plus probably, which won't be without cost. But there's an opportunity there... recast our 2.5 party system as (Socialist+Social Democrat) vs. (Liberal+One Nation) vs. (Conservative Nationalist); FPTP is unforgiving to the smallest party of three.

I'd want decent odds against, but the opportunity is there.
    That is largely want French politics looks like now, ie Melenchon's left block v Macron's liberal centrist block v Le Pen's Nationalist block. Canadian politics too ie the social democrat NDP v Trudeau's centrist Liberals v Polievre's rightwing Conservatives (plus regional nationalists in Quebec like we have in Scotland)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

DM_Andy said:

Using EC, with LD on 8 and Green 3, and Con, Lab and Reform tied on 28, they'd win only 78.
    With Con and Lab tied on 28, Reform 25 and LD 9, Green 3, a mere 16.
    If Reform come through to twenties, Cons are polling teens.
This discussion has been closed.