Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Elites – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

TimS said:

BBC - New Malden ex-postmistress aims to stand against Sir Ed Davey

An ex-deputy postmistress from London says she will stand against Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey at the next general election, as he faces criticism over his role in the Post Office scandal.

Yvonne Tracey worked at New Malden post office for more than 30 years and said Sir Ed's attitude "must be challenged".

Sir Ed, MP for Kingston and Surbiton, initially refused to meet campaigner Alan Bates when he was a minister.

He has now said he was "deeply misled" by Post Office executives. . . .

A Lib Dem spokesperson told the BBC: "Ed's heart goes out to the families caught up in this scandal and his focus is on getting justice and compensation for those impacted.

"He bitterly regrets that the Post Office was not honest with him at the time and will fully cooperate with the inquiry to get to the bottom of what went wrong."

They added: "Ed has earned the reputation as a hardworking and tireless local MP, who helps thousands of residents, businesses and community groups every year, which has resulted in him serving the constituency for 30 years."

A public inquiry into the Post Office affair, which was launched in 2021, resumed this week. The Post Office said it aims to get to "the truth of what went wrong".

A spokesperson for Fujitsu, the tech company that developed the Horizon system, said the company recognised the "devastating impact on postmasters' lives and that of their families" and had "apologised for its role in their suffering".

I don’t know who advising him but that’s almost up at Priti levels of non apology apology. Come on Ed, you’re better than that.
    Has he actually provided any details about:
    - who lied to him
    - when
    - what the lies were
    - when he realised he had been lied to
    - what he did when he realised he was being or had been lied to?

Is he going to provide such details?

Otherwise it's just another "I'm a gullible moron so you can't blame me" defence?

A5nd if he was lied to, did he perhaps make it easy for civil servants to do this to him? He might want to reflect on that.
    His only get out now I think is a really full and frank disclosure, exactly as you suggest above. Otherwise he looks like he’s hiding. I say this as a - frustrated - Lib Dem who has a lot of time for Davey.
    We need a frank disclose on VET bills. My dog cut her leg one inch cut quite deep was a few stitches a few ml of metacam and an antibiotic jab plus a few in tablet firm. Total bill 500 quid. Frankly I think its extortionate. It wasn't even a General anaesthetic, it was sedation . It would have probably have been 600. . What can we do? We have to pay and they know it.
    It’s a fascinating phenomenon, as I can attest as a cat owner and recent victim.

Veterinary practices used to be one of the most decentralised, unconsolidated industries. They had little pricing or buying power. In the last few years, as with their close cousins dentists, they have consolidated massively. Most vets are now large chains and franchises. It means they have more buying power with their suppliers, and vastly more selling power with customers and insurance companies.
    We switched away from Vets4Pets to a local independent vet practice - Hall Court. They're of a large enough size to run their own in house out of hours service & they run a drive up and wait service (Like your GP used to)
    We've found them much better than vets4pets and their out of hours service is miles better than VetsNow, which is disgustingly expensive
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

viewcode - Since you are interested in these questions, you might want to read two American classics, C. Wright Mills' "The Power Elite", and Robert Dahl's "Who Governs", which can be read as a refutation of Mills.

In my opinion Dahl was far more right than Mills, but has lost the political argument in many American colleges and universities.

(Some will prefer Richard Rovere's half-Joking essay, "The American Establishment" to either book.)

My Ph.D was based on this argument although in the context of English local politics. My conclusion was mostly in line with Dahl - political power is largely exercised through political institutions ( which can however be taken over by other elites, mostly economic, although sometimes cultural).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

If we take a few contemporaneous examples:

Rishi Sunak: respectable middle class parents, but can a provincial GP and pharmacist really be considered elite?

Keir Starmer: Father a Surrey toolmaker, mother a nurse. Once again respectable middle class but hardly elite.

To move away from politics, perhaps Paula Vennells? Manchester Grammar School, Bradford University then management trainee at Unilever. Not sure what her parents did, but being born in a coalfield town now incorporated into Manchester doesn't seem elite, so mich as middle class.

Perhaps the CEO of the National theatre? Indhi Rabinsingham, born in Sheffield to Sinhalese Tamil immigrant parents. Doesn't sound particularly elite.

Or the CEO of the National Gallery? Gabriele Finaldi brought up in Barnet and Catford, to a Neapolitan father and Anglo-Polish mother. Doesn't really whiff of elite privilege doesn't it?

How about the CEO of the NHS? Amanda Pritchard was Comprehensive schooled in Somerset, daughter of an Anglican priest who later became a Bishop.

Just to pick a few fairly randomly.

So none from an elite background, but all elite now. All from middle class backgrounds but none obviously benefiting from insider connections.

So is there really a mysterious elite of mutual benefit? Or just a bunch of people with successful careers from a wide variety of middle class backgrounds?

It seems we are define elite as the people in charge, a meaningless circular definition.

Paula Vennells was at Manchester Grammar? Are you sure? Given it's boys only that seems unlikely.
    Sorry, Manchester High School for Girls. It doesn't really invalidate my point though.

If you define elite as anyone ambitious who had a successful post University career then it is a pretty useless concept.

If you define it more narrowly as the Notting Hill Set or friends of the Spectator editor then you might have a point, but they have only fairly narrow bounds of elite privilege.
    I think it might more usefully be argued that it's anyone who got into a 'top' uni and had a successful career despite never showing the slightest sign of basic competence.

Many of them did indeed go to private school. Indeed, some of these schools must be astonishingly good at getting teenagers through exams, judging by the results, but unfortunately they don't seem to have thought critical thinking, intellectual curiosity or personal humility en route.
    So to stick with Paula Vennals:

Was Bradford University a top university when she went there in the late 1970's, or even now?

Is there any evidence that she was incompetent in any of her jobs prior to the Post Office? Or was she pretty good at them?

She was responsible for covering up massive criminality when she could have exposed it, leaving her at risk of a charge of perverting The course of justice.

She is also accused of leading an organisation that indulged in false accounting due to not understanding the rules around compensation.

That sounds like incompetence to me.
    Sure, she has been incompetent at the PO, but you did claim that she had been incompetent previously and fell upwards.

Can you cite anything in support of that allegation?
    She worked at Argos, then was headhunted for a role in the post office that she held for five years before being made CEO.

Then she oversaw a highly controversial report on the Church of England's future and was a director at Dunelm as the group's profits collapsed.

Yup, I'm happy with 'serial incompetence.'
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,690
    edited January 13
    Marchers out and about today chanting pro-Houthi slogans.

The Houthis being of course such poor innocent victims of unprovoked US and UK aggression. The poor dears, with their slavery, Taliban-style gender politics and oh I almost forgot, their lobbing of missiles and drones at international shipping.

Perhaps media outlets should start prefacing mediaevalist groups like this with “right wing” or “far right”. Because they are.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

A passenger plane has returned to its departure airport in Japan after a crack was found on the cockpit window of the Boeing 737-800 aircraft mid-air.

When I used to fly in the 80s I was always reassured when the plane was a Boeing and not a TriStar or a DC10.

These days the first thing I look for is the safety card. If it states A310, A321 for example, I am good to go. This happened on Delta last month. Blessed relief that the doors are unlikely to shut fast or fall off.On a later flight on BA and I was scratching my head, which is the dodgy one, 737 or 777?
    Of course Airbus wings are all made here in North Wales, so you have every right to feel safe with Airbus
    It's the bits in between not made in Cymru that you need to worry about, then?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

A passenger plane has returned to its departure airport in Japan after a crack was found on the cockpit window of the Boeing 737-800 aircraft mid-air.

When I used to fly in the 80s I was always reassured when the plane was a Boeing and not a TriStar or a DC10.

These days the first thing I look for is the safety card. If it states A310, A321 for example, I am good to go. This happened on Delta last month. Blessed relief that the doors are unlikely to shut fast or fall off.On a later flight on BA and I was scratching my head, which is the dodgy one, 737 or 777?
    Of course Airbus wings are all made here in North Wales, so you have every right to feel safe with Airbus
    But can you assure use, that these superior Cambrian wings, are assembled right-side up, by the non-Welshers who (hopefully) are attaching them to the air frame?

In latest aeronautical mishap, no one is saying there was anything wrong with the door/window/whatever was fabricated in Witchitq.

But clearly a BIG problem with the way it was NOT bolted down correctly in Seattle by Boeing, allegedly the last time before the damn thing was covered up (inside main cabin).

Until that is it fell off at 16k feet altitude, that is. Another half-hour would have been at 30k feet.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Interesting header. But to repeat a comment I made in response to the NU10K stuff. The real elite (in old marxist terms, the owners of the means of production) must be laughing their socks off at stuff like this and Goodwin's nonsense, because it distracts from the enormous corporate power they still hold in most Western countries (and, increasingly, globally). Think about the immense power of the huge corporations - the Amazons, Googles, oil and gas companies, Tesco - I could go on and on.

I don't deny that there is (as Weber predicted a long, long time ago) a bureaucratic elite, and that elite has significant failings. But to focus entirely on them and ignore the continuing power of big business, corporate greed, the military and so on is to miss a huge wedge of the source of power. Maybe I should write an alternative header.

Indeed you should write a header.

The idea that the U.K. military has any significant political pull is belied by the way that every government since the end of the Cold War has tried to cut military spending as the politically cheap option.

In the U.K. we have a Medical Industrial Complex and a Social Protection Industrial Complex.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/UK_Government_spending_for_2023-24.png
    Not quite sure who the 10K elite is restricted to. If you add up all the people behind the royal box at Wimbledon, blazered swells in the Pimms tent at Henley, chaps in black tie quaffing Pol Roger on the lawn at Glyndebourne, it comes to much more than 10K. From the point of view of a Marxist insurrectionary (retired) 10K does rather underestimate the scale of the problem.
    The old Upper 10,000 was more than 10,000 actual people.

The NU10K are roughly defined as combination of

- important, well paid roles in public, private or third sector
    - when a scandal hits, the worst they suffer is moving to another job. Often with compensation
    - while apparently meritocratic, those who gain entry meet certain criteria. Mostly about having the attitude of protecting others at that level.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine reading a 2,453 page report which says nothing – for ever.”
  • Options

isam said:

I assume this clip of Sir Keir on BBC Breakfast yesterday has been edited to make him look bad. Ed Davey-esque

Maybe they read my posts on here and their confidence is blown?

https://x.com/esthermcvey1/status/1746154516137849077?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Maybe but the same stupid counter keeps clacking everytime Starmer opens his mouth. By over-egging, it ultimately becomes ineffective.

A bit like your posts.
    Boy who cried wolf! > man who cries Keir?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Most notable in the Taiwan presidential election is that a third party, founded in 2019, got 26.5%:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Taiwanese_presidential_election

There was no third party in 2020; in 2016 a different third party got 12%.
  • Options

isam said:

I assume this clip of Sir Keir on BBC Breakfast yesterday has been edited to make him look bad. Ed Davey-esque

Maybe they read my posts on here and their confidence is blown?

https://x.com/esthermcvey1/status/1746154516137849077?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Maybe but the same stupid counter keeps clacking everytime Starmer opens his mouth. By over-egging, it ultimately becomes ineffective.

A bit like your posts.
    Boy who cried wolf! > man who cries Keir?
    Donkey
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,521
    Pulpstar said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

TimS said:

An ex-deputy postmistress from London says she will stand against Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey at the next general election, as he faces criticism over his role in the Post Office scandal.

Yvonne Tracey worked at New Malden post office for more than 30 years and said Sir Ed's attitude "must be challenged".

Sir Ed, MP for Kingston and Surbiton, initially refused to meet campaigner Alan Bates when he was a minister.

A Lib Dem spokesperson told the BBC: "Ed's heart goes out to the families caught up in this scandal and his focus is on getting justice and compensation for those impacted.

"He bitterly regrets that the Post Office was not honest with him at the time and will fully cooperate with the inquiry to get to the bottom of what went wrong."

They added: "Ed has earned the reputation as a hardworking and tireless local MP, who helps thousands of residents, businesses and community groups every year, which has resulted in him serving the constituency for 30 years."

A public inquiry into the Post Office affair, which was launched in 2021, resumed this week. The Post Office said it aims to get to "the truth of what went wrong".

A spokesperson for Fujitsu, the tech company that developed the Horizon system, said the company recognised the "devastating impact on postmasters' lives and that of their families" and had "apologised for its role in their suffering".

I don’t know who advising him but that’s almost up at Priti levels of non apology apology. Come on Ed, you’re better than that.
    - who lied to him
    - when
    - what the lies were

Otherwise it's just another "I'm a gullible moron so you can't blame me" defence?

A5nd if he was lied to, did he perhaps make it easy for civil servants to do this to him? He might want to reflect on that.
    His only get out now I think is a really full and frank disclosure, exactly as you suggest above. Otherwise he looks like he’s hiding. I say this as a - frustrated - Lib Dem who has a lot of time for Davey.
    We need a frank disclose on VET bills. My dog cut her leg one inch cut quite deep was a few stitches a few ml of metacam and an antibiotic jab plus a few in tablet firm. Total bill 500 quid. Frankly I think its extortionate. It wasn't even a General anaesthetic, it was sedation . It would have probably have been 600. . What can we do? We have to pay and they know it.
    It’s a fascinating phenomenon, as I can attest as a cat owner and recent victim.

Veterinary practices used to be one of the most decentralised, unconsolidated industries. They had little pricing or buying power. In the last few years, as with their close cousins dentists, they have consolidated massively. Most vets are now large chains and franchises. It means they have more buying power with their suppliers, and vastly more selling power with customers and insurance companies.
    We switched away from Vets4Pets to a local independent vet practice - Hall Court. They're of a large enough size to run their own in house out of hours service & they run a drive up and wait service (Like your GP used to)
    We've found them much better than vets4pets and their out of hours service is miles better than VetsNow, which is disgustingly expensive
    Does lead to the question who benefited from the change (see also the takeover of all the Yourtown Building Societies).

But it's another example of reducing the number of opportunities to exercise genuine independent leadership.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    edited January 13
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Rishi Sunak: respectable middle class parents, but can a provincial GP and pharmacist really be considered elite?

Keir Starmer: Father a Surrey toolmaker, mother a nurse. Once again respectable middle class but hardly elite.

To move away from politics, perhaps Paula Vennells? Manchester Grammar School, Bradford University then management trainee at Unilever. Not sure what her parents did, but being born in a coalfield town now incorporated into Manchester doesn't seem elite, so mich as middle class.

Perhaps the CEO of the National theatre? Indhi Rabinsingham, born in Sheffield to Sinhalese Tamil immigrant parents. Doesn't sound particularly elite.

Or the CEO of the National Gallery? Gabriele Finaldi brought up in Barnet and Catford, to a Neapolitan father and Anglo-Polish mother. Doesn't really whiff of elite privilege doesn't it?

How about the CEO of the NHS? Amanda Pritchard was Comprehensive schooled in Somerset, daughter of an Anglican priest who later became a Bishop.

So none from an elite background, but all elite now. All from middle class backgrounds but none obviously benefiting from insider connections.

So is there really a mysterious elite of mutual benefit? Or just a bunch of people with successful careers from a wide variety of middle class backgrounds?

It seems we are define elite as the people in charge, a meaningless circular definition.

Paula Vennells was at Manchester Grammar? Are you sure? Given it's boys only that seems unlikely.
    Sorry, Manchester High School for Girls. It doesn't really invalidate my point though.

If you define elite as anyone ambitious who had a successful post University career then it is a pretty useless concept.

If you define it more narrowly as the Notting Hill Set or friends of the Spectator editor then you might have a point, but they have only fairly narrow bounds of elite privilege.
    I think it might more usefully be argued that it's anyone who got into a 'top' uni and had a successful career despite never showing the slightest sign of basic competence.

Many of them did indeed go to private school. Indeed, some of these schools must be astonishingly good at getting teenagers through exams, judging by the results, but unfortunately they don't seem to have thought critical thinking, intellectual curiosity or personal humility en route.

Was Bradford University a top university when she went there in the late 1970's, or even now?

Is there any evidence that she was incompetent in any of her jobs prior to the Post Office? Or was she pretty good at them?

She was responsible for covering up massive criminality when she could have exposed it, leaving her at risk of a charge of perverting The course of justice.

She is also accused of leading an organisation that indulged in false accounting due to not understanding the rules around compensation.

Sure, she has been incompetent at the PO, but you did claim that she had been incompetent previously and fell upwards.

She worked at Argos, then was headhunted for a role in the post office that she held for five years before being made CEO.

Then she oversaw a highly controversial report on the Church of England's future and was a director at Dunelm as the group's profits collapsed.

We're those before our after she became PO CEO, if after then they are irrelevant to her being appointed.

Wasn't the controversial bit of her CoE report that there were too many expensive under utilised (albeit often historic and interesting) churches that should be closed and sold off rather than be a financial burden? Her point may well be valid!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

But can you assure use, that these superior Cambrian wings, are assembled right-side up, by the non-Welshers who (hopefully) are attaching them to the air frame?

In latest aeronautical mishap, no one is saying there was anything wrong with the door/window/whatever was fabricated in Witchitq.

But clearly a BIG problem with the way it was NOT bolted down correctly in Seattle by Boeing, allegedly the last time before the damn thing was covered up (inside main cabin).

Until that is it fell off at 16k feet altitude, that is. Another half-hour would have been at 30k feet.
    My son in law held a senior position in Airbus until he retired 2 years ago, and it is a huge employer of a highly skilled Welsh workforce

They are manufactured in jigs which are amazing engineering constructs and ensure correct alignment and construction

They have recently received huge new orders
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    I’m kind of angry and how badly Davey has managed / is managing this “scandal”.

Why the hell didn’t he just apologise?
    It is not necessary to personally culpable to apologise, and nor does - I think - open one up to prosecution or litigation.

Berk.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,516
    Both of these can be true, at once:

1. Boeing should be doing better work on their airplanes.
    2. Commercial air travel is significantly safer than it was as little as 20 years ago.

And both of them are.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

The airbus safety record speaks for itself, as does the 737 Max!
  • Options
    Hi Viewcode

I've never actually read any Pareto - he was so unfashionable when I was at University - but I sense a similarity between his 'circulation of elites' and your ideas, and Malmesbury's.

Am I wide of the mark?
  • Options

It is not necessary to personally culpable to apologise, and nor does - I think - open one up to prosecution or litigation.

Berk.

It was exactly my point yesterday

It was crazy to refuse 10 times to say sorry on an ITV news programme, when he could have calmed the issue down

Sky just interviewed the post mistress standing against him at the GE
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

Pulpstar said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

TimS said:

- who lied to him
    - when
    - what the lies were

Does lead to the question who benefited from the change (see also the takeover of all the Yourtown Building Societies).

But it's another example of reducing the number of opportunities to exercise genuine independent leadership.
    Same with dentists and GPs - many of the former and some of the latter noiw being big corporations.
  • Options
    Good news transportation wise, is that Big G can rely on something more reassuring, and comfortable, than modern air travel, for HIS upcoming transport needs -

By lifeboat. With perhaps a complementary tot of RNLI rum?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    edited January 13
    What a good finish by Izac.

Sorry Viewcode, I was reading your header when that happened. It is very readable.
    Hasn’t taught me anything yet though.
  • Options

Berk.

It was crazy to refuse 10 times to say sorry on an ITV news programme, when he could have calmed the issue down

It is dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Almost Prince-Andrew levels of stupidity.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Well that is the French's responsibility
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Toon!
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Most notable in the Taiwan presidential election is that a third party, founded in 2019, got 26.5%:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Taiwanese_presidential_election

There was no third party in 2020; in 2016 a different third party got 12%.

Pro-democracy party, dissatisfied with two-party system.
  • Options
    edited January 13

Interesting header. But to repeat a comment I made in response to the NU10K stuff. The real elite (in old marxist terms, the owners of the means of production) must be laughing their socks off at stuff like this and Goodwin's nonsense, because it distracts from the enormous corporate power they still hold in most Western countries (and, increasingly, globally). Think about the immense power of the huge corporations - the Amazons, Googles, oil and gas companies, Tesco - I could go on and on.

I don't deny that there is (as Weber predicted a long, long time ago) a bureaucratic elite, and that elite has significant failings. But to focus entirely on them and ignore the continuing power of big business, corporate greed, the military and so on is to miss a huge wedge of the source of power. Maybe I should write an alternative header.

The idea that the U.K. military has any significant political pull is belied by the way that every government since the end of the Cold War has tried to cut military spending as the politically cheap option.

In the U.K. we have a Medical Industrial Complex and a Social Protection Industrial Complex.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/UK_Government_spending_for_2023-24.png
    Not quite sure who the 10K elite is restricted to. If you add up all the people behind the royal box at Wimbledon, blazered swells in the Pimms tent at Henley, chaps in black tie quaffing Pol Roger on the lawn at Glyndebourne, it comes to much more than 10K. From the point of view of a Marxist insurrectionary (retired) 10K does rather underestimate the scale of the problem.

- when a scandal hits, the worst they suffer is moving to another job. Often with compensation
    - while apparently meritocratic, those who gain entry meet certain criteria. Mostly about having the attitude of protecting others at that level.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine reading a 2,453 page report which says nothing – for ever.”
    So as I said, a very circular and therefore useless definition.

Why not just say that people who are both privately educated and been to University are the new elite?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Toon!

Amazing game and wonderful goals
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

We're those before our after she became PO CEO, if after then they are irrelevant to her being appointed.

Wasn't the controversial bit of her CoE report that there were too many expensive under utilised (albeit often historic and interesting) churches that should be closed and sold off rather than be a financial burden? Her point may well be valid!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Well that is the French's responsibility
    So you're throwing your economic partners under the Airbus? Theoretically, that is!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

She’s a marketing expert, brought into the Post Office when it was wanting to expand its services into banking and broadband and currency and the like.

Her mistake was taking the top job when her senior managerial experience was in one specialist discipline only. One promotion too far, as is often the case (yes, you, Rishi).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080

There certainly is an elite in the UK.
    They are primarily privately-educated, they primarily live in London, and they are susceptible to the same sort of groupthink.

There is a left-wing elite, who run the civil service, the public sector, the universities, broadcasting and the arts. There is a right-wing elite, who run the finance industry and certain influential news outlets.

All countries have elites, Britain’s issue is that they are primarily drawn from the same class, universities, and geography.

The elite certainly comprise the administrative, professional and managerial classes in both public and private sectors.

However, while more than average, only about 39% come from private school.
    https://www.suttontrust.com/our-research/elitist-britain-2019/

In most nations of course the elite tend to come from the upper middle classes, were educated at top universities and work and live in or close to major cities. So the UK is no major exception to that
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

At that time though was there any evidence of failure? Or rather of financial recovery?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

At that time though was there any evidence of failure? Or rather of financial recovery?
    You mean, apart from the decay of Argos and the terrible reputation it built up while she was working for it? Well, that probably wasn't all her fault, but...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Hi Viewcode

I've never actually read any Pareto - he was so unfashionable when I was at University - but I sense a similarity between his 'circulation of elites' and your ideas, and Malmesbury's.

Am I wide of the mark?

You only need to read some of it to get the gist.
  • Options

An interesting piece Viewcode.

I was drawn to Goodwin's theory. Russell Group, Managerial and Liberal. That sums me up. I wouldn't get invited onto the Board of a any panel or Board, despite 50 years in business.

Wherever I look, all roads lead to and from Tufton Street. COVID, Post Office/Jujitsu rammed full of Tories. Has anyone noticed the symmetry between Dido Harding/ John Penrose and Michael Keegan/ Gillian Keegan.

Even in Labour Wales, the Welsh National Opera, Dwr Cymru, Natural Resources Wales, and others besides were/are manned by links to CCHQ. There was a time if your name was Nicholas Edwards, Roe-Beddow or Inkin, the invites to join even more ranks of the great and the good must have given the local postie a hernia.

Only because we have a Tory government, once Labour get back in quangos will be packed with Labour supporters again as they were in the New Labour years
  • Options

Both of these can be true, at once:

1. Boeing should be doing better work on their airplanes.
    2. Commercial air travel is significantly safer than it was as little as 20 years ago.

And both of them are.

3. Commercial air travel is significantly less pleasant for passengers that it was 20 years ago.

So you fly safer (at least re: airplane accidents) but arrive feeling sorrier.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They are primarily privately-educated, they primarily live in London, and they are susceptible to the same sort of groupthink.

There is a left-wing elite, who run the civil service, the public sector, the universities, broadcasting and the arts. There is a right-wing elite, who run the finance industry and certain influential news outlets.

All countries have elites, Britain’s issue is that they are primarily drawn from the same class, universities, and geography.

The elite certainly comprise the administrative, professional and managerial classes in both public and private sectors.

In most nations of course the elite tend to come from the upper middle classes, were educated at top universities and work and live in or close to major cities. So the UK is no major exception to that
    The UK is better than some countries, and worse than others. It could be better.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited January 13
    The best description I have seen recently of this new elite (which is simply a reformation of the old elite to all intents and purposes) came from the Bishop of Liverpool in his Hillsborough report as quoted today by the Guardian

“The patronising disposition of unaccountable power”.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Nominative determinism: A politician called Lai.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Berk.

I think it's lazy interviewing to ask the same question 10 times. Ask it twice, make the point that it's not been answered, and move on - 10 times is irritating "gotch" stuff.
  • Options

Richardr said:

"The British State currently consists of a Prime Minster and a Cabinet who take all the blame, and a network of central and local government, quangos, charities, pressure groups, support structures, third sector orgs, etc who make all the decisions."

The PM and the Cabinet also try to take the praise when something works well, whilst blaming others when it doesn't [inflation is just a recent example, nothing to do with the PM if it rises, all,down to him when it falls].

To my mind, at least some of the issue here is due to the over-centralization of the UK (English) state. The PM and Cabinet take all of the power, including for matters they have no chance of controlling, and the net result is that things that they should be on top of are low down the list. When we have a PM interested in potholes in streets, then there is no chance he is as interested in the major issues that he should be. As a result, many issues, from the NHS to the Post Office are inevitably run by the central bureaucracy. There is no reason why health, most transport, and many other services shouldn't be devolved from central government at least regionally to democratically elected representatives. It is how most other medium to large sized countries work.

And if anything, the long run trend is to more centralisation. A lot of local government is now delivering what central government demands from an income central government constrains and praying that the latter is enough to do the former. Or the gutting of professional local media, whether that's papers, TV or radio. Or the reduced autonomy for the local bank manager, headteacher et cetera. Or the decay of theatres in second tier and below cities.

We chose to do this to ourselves, either because we thought it would be cheaper and more efficient, or because of fear of a postcode lottery, or because we don't want more politicians. And maybe it is better, but it does put power in fewer hands.
    We did it to ourselves because those who rightly decry the Nanny State principle failed to notice they were enacting exactly that. Thatcher, for all that she did a lot of good things, had a complete blind spot about letting people (or at least middle class people) suffer the consequences of their actions. She looked at examples of bad local Government and decided that people should be protected from their own electoral choices and gtherefore the only safe way to do that was to centralise as much as possible.

Either you treat people like adults - including allowing them to make bad choices and suffer the consequences - or you treat them like big kids and make sure their choices are only symbolic.

We need genuine decentralisation and to trust people to make decisions for themselves, for better or worse.
    Yes, Thatcher's abolition of the GLC was a vindictive, anti-democratic act of political spite. She didn't like the way Londoners voted, so she abolished it.
    Though the GLC was effectively restored by New Labour in the form of the London Assembly
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    I've just seen this.

Geoff Mulgan warned Blair Horizon was a problem.

I'm so old I actually remembered when Geoff was the Guru of the Times.

Where is he now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67941495
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So as I said, a very circular and therefore useless definition.

Why not just say that people who are both privately educated and been to University are the new elite?
    Including Donald Trump. Though do NOT believe DJT's mis-education credentials, military school (posh Borstal for you Brits) and Wharton Skooool of Bidnes, really relevant in his case(s).
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited January 13

Good news transportation wise, is that Big G can rely on something more reassuring, and comfortable, than modern air travel, for HIS upcoming transport needs -

Actually I am still waiting for my conducted tour of the Shannon AWB promised by my son and the cox, but then I have had more important and on going health issues that I and my family will hopefully see addressed on the 6th Feb with my pacemaker operation

Indeed it was only a few days ago my son took me into A & E at 2.00am with chest pains, but after urgent tests and ECGs I was sent home by the doctor and consultant to take it easy and not drink coffee, but to return anytime I had issues

My son told me today he has a week's training in Poole in March and is hoping he will gain his helm certification shortly after, which will be his first command position after just 2 years

It is factual I will not fly again, but after all our world travels over the last 20 years, my wife and I have been left with so many memories and gratitude that we were able to see so much of our wonderful world while we could
  • Options

Berk.

I think it's lazy interviewing to ask the same question 10 times. Ask it twice, make the point that it's not been answered, and move on - 10 times is irritating "gotch" stuff.
    Made Paxman a star though.
  • Options
    Tim Miller
    @Timodc
    Trump's PAC is sending mail to undeclared voters in NH about how Nikki Haley is MAGA unlike Christie, trying to tamp down crossover voters.
  • Options

Berk.

That maybe so, but Davey was stupid to think ITV was going to do him any favours.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    TimS said:

The Houthis being of course such poor innocent victims of unprovoked US and UK aggression. The poor dears, with their slavery, Taliban-style gender politics and oh I almost forgot, their lobbing of missiles and drones at international shipping.

Perhaps media outlets should start prefacing mediaevalist groups like this with “right wing” or “far right”. Because they are.

Have they killed 20,000 civilians yet? :lol:
  • Options

TimS said:

I'm sure if you were to focus on what they have done in Yemen, the answer would be yes.
  • Options

Berk.

Suspicion.

Jeremy Paxman, brilliant in many ways, started a process that killed the tough political interview, and possibly Newsnight as a programme.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    edited January 13

I've just seen this.

Where is he now?

We looked at this a day or two ago. The BBC are working hard to pin it all on Labour.

Patriots to the core!
  • Options

I've just seen this.

Where is he now?

Notice Mandelson persuaded Blair to go ahead.

I wonder how that will play out if it gains more attention.
  • Options

Berk.

A simple and genuine I am sorry would have been the right thing to do, and would have closed down the interview
  • Options

Berk.

A simple and genuine I am sorry would have been the right thing to do, and would have closed down the interview
    If he is toast, it's him that pressed the button and turned the dial to 6.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    HYUFD said:

If 39% of the elite come from private school, and 61% from state school, whilst only 7% of kids overall go to private school (at some stage), then the multiplier is that an individual privately educated child is around 8.5x more likely to enter the elite than a state educated child.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited January 13
    The selection of our 'managerial elite' seems to be pretty random, it is people that just somehow find themselves in the position of being a manager, mainly because they think going upwards in an organisation is automatically a good idea. I work in the public sector in a professional role and my main objection is that management is too poorly paid. If you have the choice between being left by yourself to get on with your work uninterrupted and logging off at 5 and being a manager on teams chats all night about some catastrophe/scandal (all recorded forever on some server and potentially discosable) and earning about £200 a month more then what is really the point? Out of every 10 people that go on the journey, about 3 burnout completely, 5 just about manage but hate their job, 2 will be able to actually do the job and occasionally you will get someone who can actually run an organisation. But actually running an organisation involves dealing with crisis after crisis some of which blow up to post office proportions. In my experience the type of people that end up there are completely random.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited January 13

I've just seen this.

Where is he now?

Notice Mandelson persuaded Blair to go ahead.

I wonder how that will play out if it gains more attention.
    Persuading Blair to use Horizon, then staying at Jeffrey Epstein’s place whilst Epstein was in prison might make you think Mandy isn’t the wisest of owls. But Sir Keir’s made him his senior advisor, so he must have something about him
  • Options

Actually I am still waiting for my conducted tour of the Shannon AWB promised by my son and the cox, but then I have had more important and on going health issues that I and my family will hopefully see addressed on the 6th Feb with my pacemaker operation

Indeed it was only a few days ago my son took me into A & E at 2.00am with chest pains, but after urgent tests and ECGs I was sent home by the doctor and consultant to take it easy and not drink coffee, but to return anytime I had issues

My son told me today he has a week's training in Poole in March and is hoping he will gain his helm certification shortly after, which will be his first command position after just 2 years

It is factual I will not fly again, but after all our world travels over the last 20 years, my wife and I have been left with so many memories and gratitude that we were able to see so much of our wonderful world while we could

Berk.

Agree.

But what should Ed Davey have handled the situation?

Bill Clinton (for example) would have repeated same basic response, just kept changing it up via his gift of gab.

Like mentioning, did you know my aunt was a postmaster? And how he'd once defended her against a rogue postal inspector? And he'd been endorsed by Letter Carriers Union five times? And . . .

NOT saying that ED needs to match Bill Clinton standard of political gamespersonship.

Right now he's not achieving even Al Gore standard.
  • Options

Nominative determinism: A politician called Lai.

Pincher called Pincher :lol:
  • Options

Berk.

Suspicion.

Jeremy Paxman, brilliant in many ways, started a process that killed the tough political interview, and possibly Newsnight as a programme.
    A lot of the best interviews are a lot softer, like the Blue Peter one with Mrs T where she admitted supporting "the reasonable elements" of the Khymer Rouge. I don't think an aggressive interview would have got that admission.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited January 13
    Oh dear, Theresa May may have to resign.

Theresa May’s government pushed through a CBE for Paula Vennells, the disgraced former Post Office boss, despite concerns raised on the honours committee about the Horizon IT scandal.

Sir Ian Cheshire, now chairman of Channel 4, chaired the sub-committee that recommended Vennells for the most prestigious honour below a knighthood or damehood.

Sources said she was nominated by the Department for Business, although Greg Clark, then business secretary, was not involved. Her name was discussed by the main honours committee, chaired by Sir Jonathan Stephens — then the civil servant responsible for Northern Ireland — in October 2018....

...At least one member of the main honours committee questioned the wisdom of making Vennells a CBE, alluding to the growing noise surrounding the organisation’s mistreatment of sub-postmasters and pointing out that she was still in the role, whereas honours candidates tend to have retired...

...A source close to Cheshire, a former chairman of Debenhams and boss of the DIY chain Kingfisher, said that both the economy sub-committee and the main honours committee decided to recommend Vennells for her CBE after there was “quite a lot of push for her” from the government. The source said that while the committees were aware of the litigation brought by the sub-postmasters at the time, Whitehall officials advised that it was not enough to warrant blocking the honour because a judgment had not yet gone against the Post Office. “That decision turned out to be wrong.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paula-vennells-cbe-post-office-theresa-may-wcsxh6lqk
  • Options
    Ugh.

The sports agent jailed over the Pakistan cricket spot-fixing scandal has become a significant figure in professional boxing and is working with the promoter who has the exclusive contract to deliver shows for Sky Sports.

An investigation by The Sunday Times can reveal that payments well into six figures were made to a company linked to Mazhar Majeed by Boxxer, the promoter which in 2021 signed a four-year, £32 million deal with Sky.

Majeed, who first entered the sport before the formation of Boxxer, is one of the most controversial figures in cricket history. The 48-year-old was sentenced to 32 months in prison in November 2011 for his role in the corruption of a Test match between England and Pakistan at Lord’s that was broadcast live on Sky in August 2010.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pakistan-cricket-fixing-scandal-agent-jailed-boxing-mfzgl32h3
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

If 39% of the elite come from private school, and 61% from state school, whilst only 7% of kids overall go to private school (at some stage), then the multiplier is that an individual privately educated child is around 8.5x more likely to enter the elite than a state educated child.
    I think the advantage is smaller, as would have to control for parental income and education, but probably still substantial.

Though we are now at the point of regarding 5-10% of the population as "elite" so around 3-6 million of us.
  • Options
    edited January 13

Theresa May’s government pushed through a CBE for Paula Vennells, the disgraced former Post Office boss, despite concerns raised on the honours committee about the Horizon IT scandal.

Sir Ian Cheshire, now chairman of Channel 4, chaired the sub-committee that recommended Vennells for the most prestigious honour below a knighthood or damehood.

Sources said she was nominated by the Department for Business, although Greg Clark, then business secretary, was not involved. Her name was discussed by the main honours committee, chaired by Sir Jonathan Stephens — then the civil servant responsible for Northern Ireland — in October 2018....

...At least one member of the main honours committee questioned the wisdom of making Vennells a CBE, alluding to the growing noise surrounding the organisation’s mistreatment of sub-postmasters and pointing out that she was still in the role, whereas honours candidates tend to have retired...

...A source close to Cheshire, a former chairman of Debenhams and boss of the DIY chain Kingfisher, said that both the economy sub-committee and the main honours committee decided to recommend Vennells for her CBE after there was “quite a lot of push for her” from the government. The source said that while the committees were aware of the litigation brought by the sub-postmasters at the time, Whitehall officials advised that it was not enough to warrant blocking the honour because a judgment had not yet gone against the Post Office. “That decision turned out to be wrong.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paula-vennells-cbe-post-office-theresa-may-wcsxh6lqk

Is she still PM? I think she's safe.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    Scott_xP said:

I come here for brutal empirical analysis about the electoral landscape - not this ephemeral theory 🤷

How is the weather is St Petersburg?
    Not sure why this is your takeaway 🤷
  • Options

TimS said:

I'm sure if you were to focus on what they have done in Yemen, the answer would be yes.
    "With friends like these, who needs Yemenis?" - Boris in the FT, 2017.
  • Options
    Sunak’s domestic problems will get worse when detailed seat-by-seat polling is published showing that Labour is on course to win even previously safe Tory seats. The MRP poll, funded by a wealthy Tory donor, will be released in stages and is expected to cause panic on the backbenches when MPs with huge paper majorities learn that they are on course to lose their seats.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-uk-strikes-yemen-relationship-election-year-25qx7rvz0
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Berk.

Agree.

Bill Clinton (for example) would have repeated same basic response, just kept changing it up via his gift of gab.

Like mentioning, did you know my aunt was a postmaster? And how he'd once defended her against a rogue postal inspector? And he'd been endorsed by Letter Carriers Union five times? And . . .

NOT saying that ED needs to match Bill Clinton standard of political gamespersonship.

If he wasn’t going to apologise, and he doesn’t have to if he doesn’t think he should, he should have just said “I haven’t got anything to apologise for, I did my best with the information I was given. I met Alan Bates, listened to what he had to say, then relayed his concerns to the relevant people”

But the halfway house of repeating “I regret…” whilst pretending he’d not been asked the question before looked so bad.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited January 13

She should stand down as an MP and from the Privy Council as a minimum.
  • Options

Sunak’s domestic problems will get worse when detailed seat-by-seat polling is published showing that Labour is on course to win even previously safe Tory seats. The MRP poll, funded by a wealthy Tory donor, will be released in stages and is expected to cause panic on the backbenches when MPs with huge paper majorities learn that they are on course to lose their seats.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-uk-strikes-yemen-relationship-election-year-25qx7rvz0

Wealthy Conservative Donor, you say?

I wonder who and to what end?

You don't release a poll like this in stages as an innocent seeking of truth.
  • Options

Don't you think a combination of falling inflation, stopping the boats in December, low petrol prices, falling fixed term mortgages, 2% tax cuts, the Opposition Leaders' Post Office debacle and the war in Yemen will shift the dial?
  • Options
    Note sure how NFL players & coaches feel about academic elite theory (or is it elite academic theory)? However . . .

AP (via Seattle Times) Bills-Steelers playoff game moved to Monday amid forecast for dangerous winter weather

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The Buffalo Bills’ wild-card playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers that was scheduled for Sunday was moved to Monday amid a forecast for dangerous winter weather, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Saturday.

Hochul and other officials said they were making the change for safety’s sake. “We want our Bills to win, but we don’t want 60,000 to 70,000 people traveling to the football game in what’s going to be horrible conditions,” Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said at a news conference in the Buffalo suburbs.

Officials advised residents to stay off the roads starting at nightfall on Saturday, with a driving ban taking effect at 9 p.m. The game will now be played at Highmark Stadium at 4:30 p.m. Monday instead of 1 p.m. Sunday.

Hochul said she started talking with the NFL on Thursday about the possibility of having to reschedule the game. From her hometown of Buffalo, she closed her news conference by saying, “Go, Bills.”

The NFL and Bills issued a statement citing “public safety concerns” as the reason to push back the game by a day.

The forecast for the Buffalo area called for heavy snow and winds gusting as high as 65 mph (105 kph) Saturday, with 1 to 2 feet or more of snow eventually piling up. The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning lasting through 7 a.m. Monday, saying that “travel will be very difficult to impossible at times,” with the combination of snow and very strong wind causing near-zero visibility. . .

SSI - Here is weather forecast for Monday for Des Moines, Iowa

Bitterly cold. Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. High near 0 F (-18 C). Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Good news is forecast UVI index only 1 of 11, so little risk of sunburn! But different story re: frostbite.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Newcastle 2
    Man City 1
    55 mins
  • Options

She should stand down as an MP and from the Privy Council as a minimum.
    No she shouldn't. Compare that very minor issue to Johnson and Truss's disgraceful honours outrage. Vennells has given her gong back so all's well.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758

Berk.

General question. Should people with a public profile apologise when they think they haven't done anything wrong? My personal rule is not to. I do apologise quite freely when I do think I'm at fault and I show empathy when others have been hurt and are frustrated.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

In which case, the right decision would have been to wait until the judgment. Not least because there was plenty of evidence coming out of the hearing suggesting serious concerns about the Post Office's behaviour.

Aren't these civil servants meant to be Top People? Why is their judgment so utterly shit?

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited January 13

Note sure how NFL players & coaches feel about academic elite theory (or is it elite academic theory)? However . . .

AP (via Seattle Times) Bills-Steelers playoff game moved to Monday amid forecast for dangerous winter weather

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The Buffalo Bills’ wild-card playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers that was scheduled for Sunday was moved to Monday amid a forecast for dangerous winter weather, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Saturday.

Hochul and other officials said they were making the change for safety’s sake. “We want our Bills to win, but we don’t want 60,000 to 70,000 people traveling to the football game in what’s going to be horrible conditions,” Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said at a news conference in the Buffalo suburbs.

Officials advised residents to stay off the roads starting at nightfall on Saturday, with a driving ban taking effect at 9 p.m. The game will now be played at Highmark Stadium at 4:30 p.m. Monday instead of 1 p.m. Sunday.

Hochul said she started talking with the NFL on Thursday about the possibility of having to reschedule the game. From her hometown of Buffalo, she closed her news conference by saying, “Go, Bills.”

The NFL and Bills issued a statement citing “public safety concerns” as the reason to push back the game by a day.

The forecast for the Buffalo area called for heavy snow and winds gusting as high as 65 mph (105 kph) Saturday, with 1 to 2 feet or more of snow eventually piling up. The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning lasting through 7 a.m. Monday, saying that “travel will be very difficult to impossible at times,” with the combination of snow and very strong wind causing near-zero visibility. . .

SSI - Here is weather forecast for Monday for Des Moines, Iowa

Bitterly cold. Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. High near 0 F (-18 C). Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Good news is forecast UVI index only 1 of 11, so little risk of sunburn! But different story re: frostbite.

Buffalo Bills. The only NFL team anywhere in New York State. And an advertisement for building a roof if there ever was one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    FF43 said:

Berk.

General question. Should people with a public profile apologise when they think they haven't done anything wrong? My personal rule is not to. I do apologise quite freely when I do think I'm at fault and I show empathy when others have been hurt and are frustrated.
    Government ministers used to resign when something went wrong in their department, even if they hadn't done anything wrong personally.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,450

This is exactly the same in France. In fact, it's worse.
  • Options

Berk.

It is dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Almost Prince-Andrew levels of stupidity.
    And look what happened to him.

He's toast.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

That makes it okay then?
  • Options
    Question I have re: Paula Vennells ex-gong, is WHO(M) in the May govt was so eager for her to get it? - and WHY??

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Excellent thread header. Thanks @viewcode
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

FF43 said:

Berk.

Government ministers used to resign when something went wrong in their department, even if they hadn't done anything wrong personally.
    "You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The UK is better than some countries, and worse than others. It could be better.
    You'd never have just 7% from private schools in "the elite" under any scenario.

State education is compulsory and includes those who go into unskilled jobs and no jobs, who would be unlikely to show up in any elite very often, whereas those who invest in private education would not do so for the same.

I'd say the practical par is about 25-30%. It's always going to be higher than the raw average rate, and is not a sign of discrimination.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462

Berk.

Suspicion.

John Humphrys on the wireless with the candelabra imo.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

That makes it okay then?
    The contention was that Britain had a unique issue.

It doesn't.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Andy_JS said:

FF43 said:

Berk.

I can only think of one example.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Berk.

Agree.

Yes, I think that if he doesn't want to apologise he needs to say so - "You keep asking the same question, but I think it goes way beyond individuals being pressed to apologise personally. The problem is that senior people have been too ready to assume that computer systems are always right, and that's something all we need not only to apologise for but make sure we don't do it again."
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575

Perhaps this is true, but it feels unlikely that the panic is new. Even Tory backbenchers can, like me, do the most primitive form of Baxtering on their abacus. and I am sure at the moment they do little else. As the latest YouGov poll Baxters to roughly the Tories losing 299 seats (leaving 77) one would think there is little new to panic about. Except that Gavin Williamson is among the Gallant 77. Rishi only loses by a bit. Tories should take comfort from the fact that on these figures Labour fall short of the 500 seat target, but not by much.

Tories will not be cheered by my view that, despite all that, NOM remains the value bet.
  • Options
    edited January 13

Usually when a wealthy conservative donor does polling it’s Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    If you mix whisky with sugar and Tesco double cream does it taste like Baileys?

I think I might give it a try.
  • Options
    darkage said:

The selection of our 'managerial elite' seems to be pretty random, it is people that just somehow find themselves in the position of being a manager, mainly because they think going upwards in an organisation is automatically a good idea. I work in the public sector in a professional role and my main objection is that management is too poorly paid. If you have the choice between being left by yourself to get on with your work uninterrupted and logging off at 5 and being a manager on teams chats all night about some catastrophe/scandal (all recorded forever on some server and potentially discosable) and earning about £200 a month more then what is really the point? Out of every 10 people that go on the journey, about 3 burnout completely, 5 just about manage but hate their job, 2 will be able to actually do the job and occasionally you will get someone who can actually run an organisation. But actually running an organisation involves dealing with crisis after crisis some of which blow up to post office proportions. In my experience the type of people that end up there are completely random.

I've heard a number of people say either they have turned down promotion or wish they had. The rise of multinationals means more demand for late night or early morning meetings, and the internet and mobile phones make them possible.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

FF43 said:

Berk.

I can only think of one example.
    Wasn't the last Lord Carrington?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Berk.

Agree.

Yes, I think that if he doesn't want to apologise he needs to say so - "You keep asking the same question, but I think it goes way beyond individuals being pressed to apologise personally. The problem is that senior people have been too ready to assume that computer systems are always right, and that's something all we need not only to apologise for but make sure we don't do it again."
    There are lots of sensible answers he could have given, Nick. He is by no means the main person to blame here and may indeed not have that much to be blamed for, not by comparison with others. I - for instance - would be asking some really tough questions of the Post Office's Chairs during this period.

But he didn't. He chose to give an interview but was woefully unprepared for it. Or he thought the way he handled it was the right way to do it.

So he looks either incompetent or lacking in judgment.
  • Options
    edited January 13

Berk.

Suspicion.

John Humphrys on the wireless with the candelabra imo.
    A bit "everybody did it" trope, perhaps.

But creating an idiom where the interviewee can, at best, draw, the whole thing stops being useful.

See also: BoJo ducking an Andrew Neil interview in 2019. A Bad Thing, but very rational from Bozza's point of view.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Usually when a wealthy conservative donor does polling it’s Lord Ashcroft.
    Lord Ashcroft releases polls under his own name. This must be a new wealthy donor who is panicking or who wants revenge on behalf of Boris.
This discussion has been closed.