Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

However hard LAB presses Rishi is the one who’ll decide the date – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Is there anything more delicious than a fried egg? Just a little salt and pepper on top... Perfection!

A poached egg - less grease
    Two poached eggs on hot toasted Borough sourdough with a dash of soy, cracked kampot pepper and seasalt, and a few chill flakes

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Great, fhe hunger is back. I’d better have some black tea
    I'm mentally replacing the soy with a really good, sharp, homemade hollandaise. One that you essentially want to spoon directly out of the pan into your face.
    MSG shortcuts all that wholesome homemade goodness and just gives you pure yum. Cheap too - a packet at our local corner shop is 50p and it lasts a couple of months. That plus citric acid crystals for acidulating sauces without the danger of splitting.
    Interesting. Is it bad for you? How much do you use, just a pinch? What sot of meals are you adding it to?
    The literature now suggests MSG bring bad for you was a 1980s panic with little or no grounding in reality. It does of course contain sodium so has some of the same implications as salt if overused, but most of the Far East chugs it down in vast quantities. Taiwan I think being the biggest consumer per head.

It's revelatory. Makes eggs eggier, tomatoes tomatoier, gravies and sauces yummier, adds flavour sprinkled on a steak, and adds immediate umami to any kind of oriental cooking, especially broths, ramen etc. I always put it in the Sunday roast gravy.

I wouldn't add it to anything sweet, most salads (except tomato), anything mediterranean or Middle Eastern, or anything South Asian.

I put just a pinch in egg or on tomato, a level teaspoon in a main meal for 4, and a heaped teaspoon in something like soup noodles.
    MSG seems to raise my heart rate and stop me sleeping if I eat it. I don't think this is psychosomatic because there have been times when I've only realised afterwards, when I'm lying in bed for hours with a racing pulse unable to sleep, that what I've eaten contains it.
    Yes, I get something like that, too.
    For most people, it's not an issue, though, and there's a fair amount of research which has completely failed to demonstrate any harm from it.

It's a strange one, as dietary glutamate doesn't affect the levels in the brain.
    I'm the same in that I get a buzzing sensation in my head after a Chinese carry out which has had MSG in it. It makes it difficult to sleep but I am not aware of any longer term effects.
  • Options

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Is there anything more delicious than a fried egg? Just a little salt and pepper on top... Perfection!

Two poached eggs on hot toasted Borough sourdough with a dash of soy, cracked kampot pepper and seasalt, and a few chill flakes

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm mentally replacing the soy with a really good, sharp, homemade hollandaise. One that you essentially want to spoon directly out of the pan into your face.
    MSG shortcuts all that wholesome homemade goodness and just gives you pure yum. Cheap too - a packet at our local corner shop is 50p and it lasts a couple of months. That plus citric acid crystals for acidulating sauces without the danger of splitting.
    Interesting. Is it bad for you? How much do you use, just a pinch? What sot of meals are you adding it to?
    MSG leads to migraines for my wife, so its a no go for us, sadly. I think the mechanism is based just on dehydration as there is no other reason that i have found to link the two.
    Yes, a dry mouth the morning after is definitely a feature too.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not one to bash the BBC needlessly [yes I am] but this is genuinely bizarre, nay unbelievable

An entire and quite long BBC article about Sir Nicholas Winton - who famously rescued hundreds of Jewish kids from the Nazis - which doesn’t once mention that he was Jewish. Nor that the kids were Jewish. Nor that the woman used as an example is Jewish

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-67876587

That can only be deliberate. I cannot otherwise explain it

The headline describes Winton as "Holocaust hero" so isn't it obvious that the kids he saved were Jewish?
    No, it’s not. Absolutely not

Polls show that kids in the west are growing up with much less knowledge of the Holocaust. This article NEEDS to say “Jewish” at least once. It’s fairly outrageous
    You will notice that most BBC news stories nowadays are attributed to two authors. One will be a normal, educated person like you or I. The other will be a woke chaperone employed with a roaming brief to extirpate any errors.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not one to bash the BBC needlessly [yes I am] but this is genuinely bizarre, nay unbelievable

An entire and quite long BBC article about Sir Nicholas Winton - who famously rescued hundreds of Jewish kids from the Nazis - which doesn’t once mention that he was Jewish. Nor that the kids were Jewish. Nor that the woman used as an example is Jewish

The headline describes Winton as "Holocaust hero" so isn't it obvious that the kids he saved were Jewish?

Polls show that kids in the west are growing up with much less knowledge of the Holocaust. This article NEEDS to say “Jewish” at least once. It’s fairly outrageous
    Agreed - though see the earlier BBC article I linked.

The film reviews, FWIW, are mixed:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/jan/01/nicholas-winton-saved-my-father-from-the-nazis-heres-how-one-life-betrays-him
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

MSG leads to migraines for my wife, so its a no go for us, sadly. I think the mechanism is based just on dehydration as there is no other reason that i have found to link the two.
    I love curries but feel dire (nauseous and loose) the day after. Every time.

This is only after dining at an Indian restaurant - never when we make curries at home.

IS MSG to blame for this??
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,413
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

This is only after dining at an Indian restaurant - never when we make curries at home.

No, it’s the curries
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/jan/01/nicholas-winton-saved-my-father-from-the-nazis-heres-how-one-life-betrays-him
    It’s like an article about the horrors of apartheid not actually mentioning race
  • Options

Leon said:

Were all of the children Jewish? While the vast majority of the victims of the Holocaust were of course Jewish, other groups, such as the Roma, were also slaughtered by the Nazis. Is it possible that children from these groups were also among those rescued?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Given Gordon Brown waited a full 5 years after the 2005 GE until he called the May 2010 GE, Labour can hardly have many complaints Sunak is doing the same

Similarly, like Brown, Sunak will hardly be able to complain if the electorate punish this delay in appointing a government capable of addressing the issues of the day by taking over 90 seats off the party of government.
    Actually, on reflection, I think if the Conservative Party were offered 90 seat losses at the next election right now they (not Sunak obvs) would probably bite your hand off. From the 2019 election (ie ignoring by election losses etc) that would leave them on 275, very well placed for the GE in 2028/9 and it may very well leave Labour short of a majority. It is yet another indication of the size of the mountain Starmer has to scale, something that is often under estimated.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sir Howard Davies: Not that difficult to buy a home, says NatWest chair"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67890334

"Torsten Bell, boss of the Resolution Foundation think tank which focuses on improving living standards for those on low to middle incomes, tweeted prior to Sir Howard's comments that the most common living arrangement for an adult aged between 18 and 34 in 1997 was "being in a couple with children".

"Today the most common is... living with your parents""
    That is a pretty damning indictment of the opportunities on offer to young people today. I left home in 1994 aged 18 and haven't lived with my parents (other than during Uni holidays) since. We bought our first home aged 26, the year we got married, and had our first child at 30. Not many of today's young adults will have the chance to follow that kind of trajectory. And the Tories wonder where all their voters have gone!
    I bought my first home (by myself - no partner) when I was 21. Just a tiny flat - but still. Got me on my way. And I was not a big earner at the time. I saved money like heck from my first day at work at 16 - hardly any expenses and no social life back then.
    I posted on twitter earlier - that when house prices were 4 times earnings you could save 25% of your salary for 4 years at after 4 years have a 25% deposit

At 8 times earnings you need to save for 8 years but so much more money will be going in rent that you will only be able to save 10% not 25% so that 25% deposit is going to take 20 years to achieve.

Eek twin a is planning to buy something in the summer - a £150,000 or so property with a £25,000 or so deposit she has saved for.

Eek twin b having been at uni has no savings and a debt of £50,000 she will start paying as soon as she earns £27,600 a year
  • Options

Leon said:

Were all of the children Jewish? While the vast majority of the victims of the Holocaust were of course Jewish, other groups, such as the Roma, were also slaughtered by the Nazis. Is it possible that children from these groups were also among those rescued?
    So you say “largely Jewish”. That’s not hard

And the woman being used as an example of a rescued child is herself Jewish - that too is unmentioned

You really have to contort yourself journalistically not to use the J word here

• Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s like an article about the horrors of apartheid not actually mentioning race
    Well, yes. But as noted, other articles this year had no such omission.
    Accident, or something to do with current events in Gaza ? It's not altogether clear - especially as the film publicity predated those events.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    TimS said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

The literature now suggests MSG bring bad for you was a 1980s panic with little or no grounding in reality. It does of course contain sodium so has some of the same implications as salt if overused, but most of the Far East chugs it down in vast quantities. Taiwan I think being the biggest consumer per head.

It's revelatory. Makes eggs eggier, tomatoes tomatoier, gravies and sauces yummier, adds flavour sprinkled on a steak, and adds immediate umami to any kind of oriental cooking, especially broths, ramen etc. I always put it in the Sunday roast gravy.

I wouldn't add it to anything sweet, most salads (except tomato), anything mediterranean or Middle Eastern, or anything South Asian.

I put just a pinch in egg or on tomato, a level teaspoon in a main meal for 4, and a heaped teaspoon in something like soup noodles.
    For sweet items (eg in baking), to bring out flavour, try a teaspoon of malted milk powder.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    See New Hampshire latest poll has Trump 37%, Haley 33%, she is surely going to win that primary. Interesting Biden on 58% and Phillips now 21%.
    I have a sneaking feeling there will be a shock for Trump[ in the Iowa Republican primary, I keep going back to those Iowa Republican voters in the CNN focus groups after each debate, when Haley garnished considerably more support than Trump.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Accident, or something to do with current events in Gaza ? It's not altogether clear - especially as the film publicity predated those events.
    My best and kindest guess is that this is two nervous bbc journalists feeling that the whole “Jewish” angle is too controversial right now, so they are trying to avoid it, so as to personally evade contention - better to simply omit?

I have less charitable interpretations
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

On topic, Mike is half-right and half-wrong.

Yes, the public does understand that the PM isn't going to commit electoral suicide before he has to. On the other hand, the public does want an election now and calling for one - even if it's unlikely to happen - won't go down badly.

Whether 'bottled it' is the right phrase to use I'm doubtful about. 'Frit', or some variant, might be better. But the gist is right.

Isn’t there an argument the Tory strategists, who they pay lot of money to, have wargamed this, modelled this, and come to the conclusion it needs a cheerful, turned a corner, springlike election? Absolutely everything is screaming at us it’s May rather than gathering gloom of a recession hit autumn,, not least the timing of tax cuts and budget and using recent drop in inflation, and sensible avoiding of issues later in the year such as predicted surge in channel crossings, technical recession, business bankruptcies. Tax cuts in spring can actually increase inflation.

Whilst telling us it’s an election from July onward yesterday, Sunak was specifically asked to rule out May and wouldn’t.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Leon said:

I think all the children Sir Nicholas Winton rescued were Jewish, from Czechoslovakia.

I am not aware that there were any attempts to save Roma children before the war, though you are of course right that they were one of the groups persecuted by the Nazis.

The point is that the reason he saved these children was because, being Jewish, they were in severe danger. Their Jewishness was not incidental to that danger but central to it. It is or should be central to the story (and not just in relation to the children but also in relation to Winton himself) and ignoring it is a sort of ethical dishonesty by omission.

• Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900
    edited January 5
    Leon said:

Leon said:

And the woman being used as an example of a rescued child is herself Jewish - that too is unmentioned

But "largely Jewish" would also be wrong if they were, in fact, all Jewish. Perhaps it isn't known for sure if all the children were Jewish or not.

You have a point about the example though. It would have been better to have mentioned her being Jewish, given that she is a representative of the main persecuted group.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717

Leon said:

Most of the children Winton helped rescue were Jewish, but, indeed, Wikipedia says a few were not. However, I don't think that has much implication for how the article was worded.

Winton was born to German-Jewish parents who had moved to the UK and converted to Christianity. They had him baptised. However, he said he abandoned all religion during the war.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515
    a
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

My best and kindest guess is that this is two nervous bbc journalists feeling that the whole “Jewish” angle is too controversial right now, so they are trying to avoid it, so as to personally evade contention - better to simply omit?

Since we are Woke finding - we should sue the Nazis for not being completely inclusive in the groups they persecuted?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 5
    IanB2 said:

A small ray of hope from the i:

From 4 March, Americans will see Trump having to sit in a Washington Federal Courthouse for six to seven hours a day. Court attendance by the accused is obligatory in criminal cases. He might have to do this for two months and keep his mouth shut the entire time.

IANAL but I can Google and as far as I can tell this isn't true: They have to be there for the initial appearance and some subsequent events, but they're not obliged to sit through the whole thing. He'd have to be there if it was a capital crime, but in this case it's not, it's a capitol crime.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

It really dehydrates you, best avoided except in small doses.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    DavidL said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I find about half an hour after eating MSG food, I get really thirsty even though I am usually drinking something with my meal. I'm convinced this is MSG related, because I don't get this at home or at MSG free restaurants, and I can identify a "taste", maybe a mouth feel would be a better way to describe this, which is probably what triggers my desire to drink.

Per Se I'm not against MSG, but I'm prepared to argue against those who claim the only effect of MSG is to make the food taste better.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Miso soup is great for hangovers though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Declaration of interest: I have Ajinomoto stock
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Miso soup is great for hangovers though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Declaration of interest: I have Ajinomoto stock
    Fry up is far superior
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"Torsten Bell, boss of the Resolution Foundation think tank which focuses on improving living standards for those on low to middle incomes, tweeted prior to Sir Howard's comments that the most common living arrangement for an adult aged between 18 and 34 in 1997 was "being in a couple with children".

That is a pretty damning indictment of the opportunities on offer to young people today. I left home in 1994 aged 18 and haven't lived with my parents (other than during Uni holidays) since. We bought our first home aged 26, the year we got married, and had our first child at 30. Not many of today's young adults will have the chance to follow that kind of trajectory. And the Tories wonder where all their voters have gone!
    I bought my first home (by myself - no partner) when I was 21. Just a tiny flat - but still. Got me on my way. And I was not a big earner at the time. I saved money like heck from my first day at work at 16 - hardly any expenses and no social life back then.
    I posted on twitter earlier - that when house prices were 4 times earnings you could save 25% of your salary for 4 years at after 4 years have a 25% deposit

At 8 times earnings you need to save for 8 years but so much more money will be going in rent that you will only be able to save 10% not 25% so that 25% deposit is going to take 20 years to achieve.

Eek twin a is planning to buy something in the summer - a £150,000 or so property with a £25,000 or so deposit she has saved for.

Eek twin b having been at uni has no savings and a debt of £50,000 she will start paying as soon as she earns £27,600 a year
    And that is why I believe many are making a mistake in going to university rather than working (perhaps through apprentice degree). It's not just the graduate tax for 40 years, it's also the loss of earnings while at university.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,475
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Declaring victory on refugee processing and inflation (etc) seem like tactical moves before an election... these claims won't survive through till autumn but simply compromise a later campaign where recession and summer boat crossing will change the scenario. In other words they are acting like a GE is imminent

It depends what you think Sunak values more... a) Being PMOTUK for another 6 months or b) the post-Sunak tories having 0-100 more seats because he went for an election at the optimum time.

Somebody needs to get a grip on the off-topic bollocks about doing the Bobby Sands diet and fucking eggs before this website dies.
    Off topic posts are just nature's way of filling the vacuum left by the lack of meaty political stories. We had an entire day of speculating on the date of the next GE yesterday so that one's exhausted.

There is little new in Ukraine or Gaza, the Wellingborough byelection is a while off, there are no letters currently going into the 1922 committee and nobody is currently on I'm a celebrity or publishing fan-fiction books about the conspiracy to topple Boris.

Perhaps time to introduce something on fast cars?
    Surely @Dura_Ace can furnish us with more on topic commentary about his souped-up Kawasaki GKKV 100CC with special teen-o-whine
    megadecibel exhaust cans which actually sits parked in his garage while he sits indoors with a nice slice of Battenberg cake and rewatches Are You Being Served, volume 7?
    Acceptable Political Betting topics:

perfumery
    stationery and leather goods
    wigs and haberdashery
    kitchenware and food

Going up.
    His Right Honourable Lordship David Cameron's other half aka SamCam works for Smythson and sells vastly overpriced stationery and leather goods to people with more snobbery than sense.
    https://www.smythson.com/uk/
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

IanB2 said:

A small ray of hope from the i:

From 4 March, Americans will see Trump having to sit in a Washington Federal Courthouse for six to seven hours a day. Court attendance by the accused is obligatory in criminal cases. He might have to do this for two months and keep his mouth shut the entire time.

IANAL but I can Google and as far as I can tell this isn't true: They have to be there for the initial appearance and some subsequent events, but they're not obliged to sit through the whole thing. He'd have to be there if it was a capital crime, but in this case it's not, it's a capitol crime.
    Just a crime in the Capitol ;)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it’s the curries
    There must be something in the restaurant curries which is not in a homemade curry.
  • Options

a

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Since we are Woke finding - we should sue the Nazis for not being completely inclusive in the groups they persecuted?
    I think they were pretty comprehensive by the end....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Nigelb said:

Just over a week to go to the Taiwan presidential election.
    Anyone betting (& if so, where) ?

Almost everybody.
    Small bars, KTV's, hostess bars , brothels and cafes down discreet lanes and alleys. Bring huge amounts of cash.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

But "largely Jewish" would also be wrong if they were, in fact, all Jewish. Perhaps it isn't known for sure if all the children were Jewish or not.

You have a point about the example though. It would have been better to have mentioned her being Jewish, given that she is a representative of the main persecuted group.
    Calling them “Central Europeans” is even more sinister. They were threatened because they were Jewish, not because they came from somewhere near Vienna. Six million of their relatives died BECAUSE they were Jewish, not because they were unlucky in their locale

Perturbing
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    theakes said:

See New Hampshire latest poll has Trump 37%, Haley 33%, she is surely going to win that primary. Interesting Biden on 58% and Phillips now 21%.
    I have a sneaking feeling there will be a shock for Trump[ in the Iowa Republican primary, I keep going back to those Iowa Republican voters in the CNN focus groups after each debate, when Haley garnished considerably more support than Trump.

Latest Iowa GOP poll average Trump 50%, DeSantis 18%, Haley 15%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-r/2024/iowa/
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it’s the curries
    There must be something in the restaurant curries which is not in a homemade curry.
    Cat?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it’s the curries
    Serious guess: ghee?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,344
    Sky reporting Derek Draper has died
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it’s the curries
    Well, when I cook curries at home I always use ghee - by which I mean that I clarify butter. I think the ghee used commercially is slightly different? So maybe.
  • Options

Declaring victory on refugee processing and inflation (etc) seem like tactical moves before an election... these claims won't survive through till autumn but simply compromise a later campaign where recession and summer boat crossing will change the scenario. In other words they are acting like a GE is imminent

When challenged to clearly rule out May, Sunak wouldn’t. 😇

You are right, the war gaming is not just focussed on good news, but avoiding election on bad news, such as the predicted surge in channel crossings this year. Last year was helped by the Albanian agreement, but that agreement was like picking low hanging fruit of the problem. A surge in boat crossings pulls rug from under the Rwanda policy, whether there’s flights or not it clearly won’t be working!

And fighting an election on increase in boat crossings - at least avoiding having to do that - is they key part of the election timing, it’s the smoking gun than proves the election is May 2nd, because the better election result of the Conservatives from here is less about their fight with old foe Labour and all about reversing the votes they are shedding to Reform. 11% in most recent poll Tories need at least 6% of that back in their own total as difference between 140 seats or 200+ seats.

Everything is screaming at us that it’s May. We are UKs premier political betting site, surely we should be telling the world it’s definitely May 2nd?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    "This winter it was revealed by the National Audit Office that the number of properties to receive better protection from flooding by 2027 has been cut by 40%, and 500 of 2,000 new flood defence projects have been abandoned. The government claims the cuts are unavoidable due to high inflation, but it is likely to be more costly to rebuild flood-devastated areas than to protect them in the first place."
    Short term savings, long term costs.
    A potential Tory GE slogan?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

theakes said:

Latest Iowa GOP poll average Trump 50%, DeSantis 18%, Haley 15%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-r/2024/iowa/
    Seems like nobody's bothered polling Iowa for 2 weeks?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it’s the curries
    I cook my home made curries with ghee. I get through jars of the stuff in next to no time.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I agree the article should mention that the kids were Jewish. I disagree that it is some sinister plot by the BBC, on the basis that it has the word "Holocaust" in big letters at the top, which provides the context. Kids may well not know enough about the holocaust - it is starting to fade from our collective memory with the passage of time, which it shouldn't for multiple reasons - but I think that the vast majority of people who read this article will know that the Holocaust refers to the murder of European Jews by the Nazis and their allies during WW2.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I agree the article should mention that the kids were Jewish. I disagree that it is some sinister plot by the BBC, on the basis that it has the word "Holocaust" in big letters at the top, which provides the context. Kids may well not know enough about the holocaust - it is starting to fade from our collective memory with the passage of time, which it shouldn't for multiple reasons - but I think that the vast majority of people who read this article will know that the Holocaust refers to the murder of European Jews by the Nazis and their allies during WW2.
    Except this seems to be a theme extending beyond the BBC

'One Life' is a moving film about the heroic Sir Nicholas Winton. But its UK distributor @WarnerBrosUK is now calling the children he rescued "Central Europeans" instead of Jews.

This is erasure of Jewish identity. Presumably to appease anti-Jewish racists. Deeply unimpressive.“

https://x.com/holocaustcentuk/status/1742961106795069527?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515

a

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think they were pretty comprehensive by the end....
    Nope. There is some interesting scholarship on the differing behaviour of the Nazis in various countries. In Norway the locals were protected, to a considerable extent, by their top of the line Aryan status.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526

You are right, the war gaming is not just focussed on good news, but avoiding election on bad news, such as the predicted surge in channel crossings this year. Last year was helped by the Albanian agreement, but that agreement was like picking low hanging fruit of the problem. A surge in boat crossings pulls rug from under the Rwanda policy, whether there’s flights or not it clearly won’t be working!

And fighting an election on increase in boat crossings - at least avoiding having to do that - is they key part of the election timing, it’s the smoking gun than proves the election is May 2nd, because the better election result of the Conservatives from here is less about their fight with old foe Labour and all about reversing the votes they are shedding to Reform. 11% in most recent poll Tories need at least 6% of that back in their own total as difference between 140 seats or 200+ seats.

Everything is screaming at us that it’s May. We are UKs premier political betting site, surely we should be telling the world it’s definitely May 2nd?
    May 2nd is definitely the sensible date to get the most Conservative MPs elected. And, as yesterday's deep dive showed, the logistics of most dates in the autumn are pretty horrid.

Set against, that, a May 2nd election means that Rishi stops being Prime Minister sometime on May 3rd. An awful lot of Conservative MPs (inculding a lot of awful Conservative MPs) stop being MPs six months earlier than strictly necessary.

Question is who should be doing this analysis. Sherlock Holmes (who would spot the clues and evidence point to May) or Father Brown (who would spot the human frailty pointing to November/December)?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,237
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Most Indian restaurants (and this includes Bangladeshi, Nepalese etc) do not use MSG, but it is common in Chinese food. However its not impossible that the restaurant food is just generally a lot saltier than you would make at home.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I think all the children Sir Nicholas Winton rescued were Jewish, from Czechoslovakia.

I am not aware that there were any attempts to save Roma children before the war, though you are of course right that they were one of the groups persecuted by the Nazis.

The point is that the reason he saved these children was because, being Jewish, they were in severe danger. Their Jewishness was not incidental to that danger but central to it. It is or should be central to the story (and not just in relation to the children but also in relation to Winton himself) and ignoring it is a sort of ethical dishonesty by omission.

Most of them, rather than all - I think some were children of political prisoners.
    And there's only the sketchiest of detail for a couple of hundred, who were never traced after the war.

But that doesn't really alter you point.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717

May 2nd is definitely the sensible date to get the most Conservative MPs elected. And, as yesterday's deep dive showed, the logistics of most dates in the autumn are pretty horrid.

Set against, that, a May 2nd election means that Rishi stops being Prime Minister sometime on May 3rd. An awful lot of Conservative MPs (inculding a lot of awful Conservative MPs) stop being MPs six months earlier than strictly necessary.

Question is who should be doing this analysis. Sherlock Holmes (who would spot the clues and evidence point to May) or Father Brown (who would spot the human frailty pointing to November/December)?
    May 2nd may be the best date to get the most Conservative MPs elected, but we don't know that. We can't know that! Sunak has to believe in himself. It is not irrational for him to believe that his policies will see the country improve and, therefore, a later date will see more Tory MPs elected.
  • Options
    Britain's decaying Royal Navy: Warships decommissioned because there's no sailors to sail them
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britain-s-decaying-royal-navy-warships-decommissioned-because-there-s-no-sailors-to-sail-them/ar-AA1muW5B

Four decades of Tory defence cuts.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I find about half an hour after eating MSG food, I get really thirsty even though I am usually drinking something with my meal. I'm convinced this is MSG related, because I don't get this at home or at MSG free restaurants, and I can identify a "taste", maybe a mouth feel would be a better way to describe this, which is probably what triggers my desire to drink.

Per Se I'm not against MSG, but I'm prepared to argue against those who claim the only effect of MSG is to make the food taste better.
    For a rather long diversion on MSG I found this article fascinating - https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n17/daniel-soar/the-sixth-taste

Spoiler - read the letters at the end. Is there genuinely a Chinese Restaurant syndrome, or was it all a hoax?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    After some faff, have agreed with Halifax to pay a reduced Liz Truss tax on my mortgage from next month.

Like the "tax cut" that Sunak is claiming, I will be paying a chunk more in mortgage payments, albeit not as big a chunk as it could have been.

Are the Tories really expecting that people paying a bigger tax bill and bigger mortgage bill will be appreciative enough to change their mind about kicking them out?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Most Indian restaurants (and this includes Bangladeshi, Nepalese etc) do not use MSG, but it is common in Chinese food. However its not impossible that the restaurant food is just generally a lot saltier than you would make at home.
    Definitely heavy handed on the salt
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,517
    edited January 5
    Off topic: From Niven's Laws:
    "13) The World's Dullest subjects, in order:
    A) Somebody else's diet,
    B) How to make money for a worthy cause,
    C) Special Interest Liberation

His 16th law is one we should all remember:
    "There is no cause so right that one can not find a fool following it."

For those who don't follow science fiction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

'One Life' is a moving film about the heroic Sir Nicholas Winton. But its UK distributor @WarnerBrosUK is now calling the children he rescued "Central Europeans" instead of Jews.

This is erasure of Jewish identity. Presumably to appease anti-Jewish racists. Deeply unimpressive.“

https://x.com/holocaustcentuk/status/1742961106795069527?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    I agree that that seems very odd, I guess that's a question for Warner Bros to answer.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Whether one blames it on Labour, Conservatives, or anybody else, there is no doubt we have really, really fucked up the post-Cold-War generation. A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimS said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it’s the curries
    Well, when I cook curries at home I always use ghee - by which I mean that I clarify butter. I think the ghee used commercially is slightly different? So maybe.
    You can get vegetable ghee, which may be what restaurants tend to use
  • Options

May 2nd may be the best date to get the most Conservative MPs elected, but we don't know that. We can't know that! Sunak has to believe in himself. It is not irrational for him to believe that his policies will see the country improve and, therefore, a later date will see more Tory MPs elected.
    “ It is not irrational for him to believe that his policies will see the country improve” But that’s the whole point, it would be irrational! He’s surrounded by modelling and strategists telling him it’s irrational - economic modelling, boat crossing modelling, everyone hanging around for it and fed up with waiting, modelling.

Take the reasons experts give for the increase in boat crossings this year - the huge Mediterranean surge last year now working their way to the French Channel coast. It would be irrational to think you could fight an election after a summer surge of boat crossings, would it not? 🙂
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Calling them “Central Europeans” is even more sinister. They were threatened because they were Jewish, not because they came from somewhere near Vienna. Six million of their relatives died BECAUSE they were Jewish, not because they were unlucky in their locale

Perturbing
    And Vienna was not in Czechoslovakia. Note Warner Bros is also under fire for not using the word Jewish so either there is a global conspiracy to cover up the rescue of Jewish children by the people who made a film about the rescue of Jewish children or they thought it was blindingly obvious.

Only a cynic would suggest Winton rescued largely Jewish children because largely Jewish adult refugees were denied visas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Warner Bros amends description of Holocaust film One Life to include ‘Jewish’ following backlash
    https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/warner-bros-amends-description-of-holocaust-film-one-life-to-include-jewish-following-backlash-vh5c96s6
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

"This winter it was revealed by the National Audit Office that the number of properties to receive better protection from flooding by 2027 has been cut by 40%, and 500 of 2,000 new flood defence projects have been abandoned. The government claims the cuts are unavoidable due to high inflation, but it is likely to be more costly to rebuild flood-devastated areas than to protect them in the first place."

It's costing my neighbours everything, and that's also true of a large part of Loughborough, mainly the less well off estates.
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

The problem has been worse than you said as when house prices have for the past couple of decades been going up so much faster than earnings, then even if you do save the rampant inflation (in house prices) in recent decades erodes your savings to not mean as much.

Saving for four years, or eight years, means your savings from eight years ago aren't worth very much when inflation is so high.

But we've had the Bank of England pretending inflation is low, by refusing to include house prices in its basket of prices.

Inflation has been so out of control that even if house prices halved from where they are, they'd still be overvalued relative to earnings.

• Options
    MoonwalkMoonwalk Posts: 4
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I

Leon said:

Official 2024 Leon Water Fast Sitrep

40 hours. Am in ketosis. Feel light headed and sleepy and weird

Mate, what are you doing? Stop with the dieting fads. Eat a regular, balanced diet. Ease up on the booze, do some simple exercise plan like Couch to 5K. It ain't rocket science.
    I actively LIKE fasting

I feel cleansed. I lose weight. I stop boozing. I detox my liver

And - as Dr @Foxy nofes - there is now an ample literature on the many benefits of fasting. Autophagy!

See also the literature on increased longevity in animals with severely reduced calorific intake

We aren’t meant for a life of easeful plenty with three square sugary meals a day. We are built for a life on the savage plains - eat an antelope once every 3 days. Go without at other times
    Daily fasting is good, but 18 or so hours at a time. You just bounce about from one quick fix to the next!
    Cutting out ultra processed shite is definitely a wise strategy, though.
    As I have said upthread this is totally wrong. Intense fasting plus exercise plus sensible whole foods was how I permanently (for 15 years) lost 30kg

I’m now trying to repeat that

Hello and welcome to PB Weight Watchers (with Fasters Anonymous)
    I'm in the whole foods, condensed eating hours, sensible exercise camp.I'm fitter, healthier, lift more, run and walk further and mentally happier than I'd say I've ever been in my life. At 57! Just means I mustn't waste the next 57!
    I wish I could say the same, as a fellow fifty-something! It sounds as if retirement has been good for you.

I suspect that hospital life is not very conducive to a healthy diet, a bit like fire station life. Hectic times with random lulls while waiting for something to happen, often with calorific snacks about to tempt a primate.

My bones ache now, my skin on my hands looks horrible from decades of handwashing and alcohol rubs, and time passes so fast. I have burnt the candle at both ends all my life, and it is beginning to show. On tablets for blood pressure, and threatened with statins now.

Am doing both dry January and Vegetarian (not vegan) and not missing either alcohol nor meat, particularly after the holiday surfeit of both.
    Sorry to hear about your health problems foxy
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Whether one blames it on Labour, Conservatives, or anybody else, there is no doubt we have really, really fucked up the post-Cold-War generation. A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s.

"A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s."

Cobblers.

In my parents' generation, 60% of the population couldn't buy a house in their 20's - or at any other point in their lives. Not a single family in my neighbourhood when I left it for university in the late1960s owned their own house. And, btw, nothing Thatcher did changed things for people renting privately: when we moved my parents into sheltered accommodation in the 1990s, no-one in the neighbourhood owned their house.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877

dixiedean said:

It's costing my neighbours everything, and that's also true of a large part of Loughborough, mainly the less well off estates.
    I was looking at the news this morning and wondering if this, and climate change more generally, is going to be the black swan which seems to have been omitted from the recent discussion of Tory election chances. Both in terms of immediate defences, and in the sense of wider climate policy - to which Mr Sunak has conspicuously given two fingers, notably at COP.
  • Options
    However you may want to consider that the health problems you have may have been caused by the dangerous covid infections you took and indeed mandated for others.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Even if they could more women in the workplace, more going to university etc would still likely see the average age of a mother's first child not much different from the 30.9 it is now.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/birthcharacteristicsinenglandandwales/2021#:~:text=1.,fathers remained at 33.7 years.

Even in 1991 only 36% of under 25s owned a house

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/articles/housingandhomeownershipintheuk/2015-01-22#:~:text=In 1991, 67% of the,increased among older age groups.
  • Options
    Thank god #excessdeaths are finally getting some sort of stage. They have been ignoring all of us for far too long. When will they answer the questions?

https://x.com/TheConWom/status/1742916521717027162?s=20
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    RIP I will most remember him for the excellent Hitchens and Draper panel on Talkradio though he played a key part in New Labour too
  • Options
    Joe Rogan & Dr. Aseem Malhotra on Celebrities Keeping Their Vaccine Injuries Private

“A lot of them have stories…people that I know that have come up to me privately to tell me about their own vaccine injury”

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

https://x.com/TheChiefNerd/status/1652491028316708864?s=20
  • Options
    edited January 5

“ Set against, that, a May 2nd election means that Rishi stops being Prime Minister sometime on May 3rd. An awful lot of Conservative MPs (inculding a lot of awful Conservative MPs) stop being MPs six months earlier than strictly necessary.”

Absolutely take issue with anyone thinking that. A lot of them already decided on new life and new career ages ago, been hanging around more than a year already to start it.

They can start cashing in on their contacts book on May 3rd. Arn’t Raab and Hunt and Jav in that category?

And all those who want to win the leadership once Sunak is thrashed, like why does Braverman want to wait for the leadership election?

And you are telling us Sunak is having the time of his life, the choppers, the government cars? Like every PMQ and media interview isn’t excruciating for him? and he definitely hasn’t got his new life and new job all mapped out yet?

It’s Labour who don’t want 2nd May as they will get worse result smaller majority than October/November election. Size does matter now to Starmer, majority 25 or less and it gives power to his left wing awkward squad.
  • Options

Leon said:

I see it’s a day for persuading folk that The Telegraph (& its attached wart, The Spectator) is a noble, shining, independent jewel in the crown of British journalism.

Good luck with that.

And the Middle East is a bastion of press freedom.
    Fairly philosophical about Alien and Predator taking chunks out of each other and not much bothered by the outcome tbh. The UK is already in hock to the ME and them replacing the likes of the Barclay brothers and Murdoch doesn’t seem a huge downward move. Almost needless to say but I’ve given up on expecting upward moves in the media landscape.
    You’ve always got The National as that last final bastion of total press liberty. I understand that if you give them a call they will print an extra copy for you
    The National is necessary if only for the Yoon screeches it induces.
    Always interesting how the Yoons try to say "not our fault, your lot's fault" when they made it necessary in the first place, by wrecking the Herald and then having to rush it out to try and recapture some of the lost circulation.

Personally I'd rather have the Herald and Scotsman back of old before they were terminally Yoonized.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Damn, I was about to ask how long they’d last.
  • Options
    New Year, quite a few new posters. Always welcome, of course, although I wonder how many (if any) are not just random wierdos like the rest of us!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Damn, I was about to ask how long they’d last.

Leon has to last longer than 5 spambots before he is allowed food...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

After some faff, have agreed with Halifax to pay a reduced Liz Truss tax on my mortgage from next month.

Like the "tax cut" that Sunak is claiming, I will be paying a chunk more in mortgage payments, albeit not as big a chunk as it could have been.

Are the Tories really expecting that people paying a bigger tax bill and bigger mortgage bill will be appreciative enough to change their mind about kicking them out?

On the one hand, Happiness = expectation vs reality

On the other, I was constantly surprised (and expressed this on here) over the last 14 months as to the levels of eating out, pub occupancy etc that I witnessed as I travel around the country (I'm away up to 1/4 of the year on business). I predicted that we'd avoid recession on that basis.

Since Christmas, it seems dead. Now, I know it is only Jan 5th, but what I'm seeing is drastic - and much lower than last year. So I'm expecting a pretty big drop in consumer spending over the next few months.
  • Options
    Well there is the answer...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

Britain's decaying Royal Navy: Warships decommissioned because there's no sailors to sail them
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britain-s-decaying-royal-navy-warships-decommissioned-because-there-s-no-sailors-to-sail-them/ar-AA1muW5B

Four decades of Tory defence cuts.

The two big missed opportunities (apart from not doing Mrs Werrity's 2010 5,000 RN redundancies in the first place) were not opening recruitment to EU nationals and not doing direct entry Petty Officers in technical trades until it was a full blown crisis.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 5
    viewcode said:
    Quite an incredible article from the BBC...for what it is missing....

"Draper, who was from Chorley in Lancashire, was a Labour Party lobbyist for almost a decade.

He left politics in 1998 after being involved in the "Lobbygate" scandal in which he was caught on record boasting of his ability to sell access to government ministers. He retrained as a psychotherapist and wrote regularly in magazines and newspapers on psychotherapy issues. He is the author of two books, Blair's 100 Days and Life Support.

In 2009 he founded the LabourList website, a news website supportive, but independent of, the Labour Party."

.....AND...no....nothing...nothing at all about the massive scandal he was involved in that was absolute filth. Its up there with Gay was a victim of the culture war headline.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

On the other, I was constantly surprised (and expressed this on here) over the last 14 months as to the levels of eating out, pub occupancy etc that I witnessed as I travel around the country (I'm away up to 1/4 of the year on business). I predicted that we'd avoid recession on that basis.

Since Christmas, it seems dead. Now, I know it is only Jan 5th, but what I'm seeing is drastic - and much lower than last year. So I'm expecting a pretty big drop in consumer spending over the next few months.
    The weather has been awful - that won't have helped. I also have the suspicion that a l of workplaces are shut until monday, or at least many staff have booked holidays till then.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Plenty of reports of retail and restaurant woe in the lead up to Christmas. And I've already read industry stuff suggesting a significant slowdown in foodservice business with outlets shuttered.

This is Sunak's problem. He's claiming a tax cut when he's put taxes up. He's claiming lower bills as bills go up. He's spinning economic recovery when at best its flat and at worst in recession already. And seems cornered into pledges on small boats with a flood on its way this summer. Meanwhile large chunks of shire England are under flood waters, with cuts to river defence budgets and Tory MPs AWOL.

His only chance is a wide frontal assault on reality. Use the media to smash home messages about tax cuts over a short period then cut and run before more people realise its a lie.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s."

Cobblers.

In my parents' generation, 60% of the population couldn't buy a house in their 20's - or at any other point in their lives. Not a single family in my neighbourhood when I left it for university in the late1960s owned their own house. And, btw, nothing Thatcher did changed things for people renting privately: when we moved my parents into sheltered accommodation in the 1990s, no-one in the neighbourhood owned their house.
    But a much increased private renting sector now, far smaller council/social sector. Mrs T started that shift, so in that sense she did change things.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    deleted
  • Options

Mortimer said:

The weather has been awful - that won't have helped. I also have the suspicion that a l of workplaces are shut until monday, or at least many staff have booked holidays till then.
    Guilty! I'm at work but I let my staff have an extra few days.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,364
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:
    RIP I will most remember him for the excellent Hitchens and Draper panel on Talkradio though he played a key part in New Labour too
    No he will be remembered for his infamous and nasty ply along with MCbride to spread malicious gossip about David Cameron and others via the Red Rag website

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/06/derek-draper-labour-list-editor
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,031

Leon said:

Leon said:

No-one, or at least very few people, have ever helped the Roma.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Plenty of reports of retail and restaurant woe in the lead up to Christmas. And I've already read industry stuff suggesting a significant slowdown in foodservice business with outlets shuttered.

This is Sunak's problem. He's claiming a tax cut when he's put taxes up. He's claiming lower bills as bills go up. He's spinning economic recovery when at best its flat and at worst in recession already. And seems cornered into pledges on small boats with a flood on its way this summer. Meanwhile large chunks of shire England are under flood waters, with cuts to river defence budgets and Tory MPs AWOL.

His only chance is a wide frontal assault on reality. Use the media to smash home messages about tax cuts over a short period then cut and run before more people realise its a lie.
    December seemed booming, frankly. In Dorset, Devon and London.

I think economically the situation could well look very very bad indeed if the election is delayed.

I still think we'll see a GE on May 2nd.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Hospitality always sees an incredible drop in January, which is part of the reason why I completely despise the concept of "dry January" and whoever came up with that - and will never cheer on, encourage or otherwise celebrate anyone engaging in that.

I pity those who work in hospitality at this time of year, and for people to organise "charitable" aims to make their life harder at this time of year, I find it despicable.

If you feel like you can't get through the day without alcohol, you need serious help. If you can, then don't go out of your way and encourage others to do so to make time even harder for others.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,738
    Of course Labour are going to play the 'frit' card, because it's plainly true. Sunak is frightened to go early because he knows he would lose badly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:
    No he will be remembered for his infamous and nasty ply along with MCbride to spread malicious gossip about David Cameron and others via the Red Rag website

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/06/derek-draper-labour-list-editor
    Sadly Lord Ashcroft has proven much more successful in the spreading malicious gossip about David Cameron stakes.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Draper was not a nice man, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I would not wish his last few years on my worst enemy (if I have one, I'd have to think about that). For all his sins may he rest in peace.
    I feel very sorry for his family. They must have been an incredible ordeal over the past 3 years.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Hospitality always sees an incredible drop in January, which is part of the reason why I completely despise the concept of "dry January" and whoever came up with that - and will never cheer on, encourage or otherwise celebrate anyone engaging in that.

I pity those who work in hospitality at this time of year, and for people to organise "charitable" aims to make their life harder at this time of year, I find it despicable.

If you feel like you can't get through the day without alcohol, you need serious help. If you can, then don't go out of your way and encourage others to do so to make time even harder for others.
    As I said, I travel a lot every month. This year seems far worse than usual.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Talking about scumbags....Joey Barton appears to be another that is having the social-media fuelled mid-life crisis...

Addressing Aluko, he wrote on X: 'How is she even talking about Men's football. She can't even kick a ball properly. Your coverage of the game EFC last night, took it to a new low. Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward, the Fred and Rose West of football commentary.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12929489/Joey-Barton-attacks-ITVs-FA-Cup-round-punditry-team-sick-taunt-Eni-Aluko-commentator-Lucy-Ward-claims-coverage-reached-new-low.html
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

Mortimer said:

I actually think Sunak's current "RefUK Lite" policies of flegs, pretending Brexit was a good idea competently executed and being horrible to reffos, etc. is the least worst of a range of terrible options. They have to keep the RefUK vote down to avoid a Pasoking. Chasing votes in the reality based community of the centre can't work at this stage.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Flanner said:

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Cobblers.

But a much increased private renting sector now, far smaller council/social sector. Mrs T started that shift, so in that sense she did change things.
    She also enabled people to buy their council homes, ensuring that by the late 1980s a clear majority of the UK population owned their own home with or without a mortgage for the first time
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Warner Bros amends description of Holocaust film One Life to include ‘Jewish’ following backlash
    https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/warner-bros-amends-description-of-holocaust-film-one-life-to-include-jewish-following-backlash-vh5c96s6
    It’s a thorny issue, if Egyptian Queens should be played authentically by Greeks, Jews, like Shylock, should be played by Jews and not need prosthetic noses. Black people can’t be played by white people anymore. but this line is great
    ““At some point, we have to acknowledge that our whole function as artists is to try and step into the consciousness of someone else and find compassion and find something of emotional power in doing that.”
    However he then casts a Black person otherwise the point of racism wouldn’t work.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/armageddon-time-james-gray-casting-anthony-hopkins-jewish-character-1235251705/
  • Options
    Is consumer spending really in the khazi?

“Service sector ends year on a high
    Recovery in consumer spending eases recession fears”

- Times, yesterday
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    Flanner said:

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Cobblers.

I know that. But consider the implications of what you just said
    • i) Your parents were born around the 1930/40s ("...left it for university in the late1960s...")
    • ii) Your parents had at least one child (you) in their teens/20s.
    • iii) Your parents had a better life outcome (they had you) than the teens/twentysomethings of today

This discussion has been closed.