Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Swingers Club News – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,866

Jonathan said:

At some point, one nation and Business/Thatcherite conservatives need to start to fight for control of the right, rather than bowing down to and toying with Trumpian populists. Today, they look like a dying breed.

Who on the right can stand up to Braverman, Farage and the divisive menagerie.

Who on the left can?

It will keep happening - indeed, it will grow - until someone in office gets a grip on migration.

This will shortly become Labour's problem. And putting your fingers in your ears isn't a strategy.

Immigration is an issue that largely concerns Tory and Reform voters. It is far less of a primary concern for everyone else. There was a very good piece on this in the FT at the end if last week.

Over half the public think its too high and should be reduced: https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/uk-public-opinion-toward-immigration-overall-attitudes-and-level-of-concern/

Labour need to have answers to this, or you might find those Tory and Reform voter numbers grow rather quickly.
    Why would the Tory numbers grow, given their immigration track record?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904

Have SKS Fans explained?

@BritainElects
    ·
    3h
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (-3)
    CON: 27% (+1)
    LDEM: 11% (-)
    REF: 9% (-)
    GRN: 7% (+1)

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 13 - 15 Dec

KEIR still HUUUUUGE majority based on that!
    Well i am on NOM at what i think are generous odds considering SKS cant answer a single off script question without appearing to be the Lettuce;s 2nd coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqrfv8QkmYA
    You might have a point 😊.

Hope you are on at 10-1 minimum though 👍
    Not got 10/1 but am on average on at circa 6/1

I see LDs getting lots of the Tory seats making it harder for LAB to get over 50% of the seats.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    Eabhal said:

Starmer acted for extremist Islamist group in bid to overturn ban
    Labour leader applied to European Court of Human Rights to reverse Germany's prohibition of Hizb ut-Tahrir

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/12/16/keir-starmer-represented-extremist-islamist-group/ (£££)

Harking back to the last thread, it looks like the right is searching for and trialling negative material or smears (delete as appropriate) for the election campaign.

Yep. Tricky, on the face of it.

If SKS spams "I will always defend the Rule of Law" as a response throughout the campaign the Tories will give up.
    This not a story, just as 'barrister defends person accused of terrorist murder' or 'doctor performs life saving operation on convicted terrorist killer' is not a story.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,959
    edited December 2023
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Ian Wright us stepping down from Match of the Day. Can it be hoped that the ghastly Lineker will leave too.?

That is a shame. I rather like Ian Wright. He wears his heart on his sleeve, which I rather like.

Re Lineker - He is rather good at his job. What is your objection? Is it the money he costs or the fact that he tweaks the noses of politicians or that you don't think he should be allowed to while presenting on BBC? They seem to be the main reasons people object to him. Haven't seen anyone complain about the fact that he does a good job.
    Lineker is a tad too smarmy for me, made worse by the ridiculous salary so not surprised he grates with those who don't like his politics, even if the level of their objection tends to the absurd.
    I have a feeling that Lineker isn't particularly left wing. He's so familiar with the wind up merchant aspect of football, he simply can't resist baiting the gammons.

That dopamine rush hits hard. I've been taking notes.
    But, if you get your kicks from winding up other people, it normally points to deeper rooted issues.
    It's hard not to tbh. You make a detailed analysis of Rwanda/20mph/Israel and everyone loses their minds. Might as well embrace it.
    On the subject of 20mph, I take it we've all accepted Vaughan Gething will be the next FM of the rotten Borough of Cymru?

Am I right in thinking he doesn't speak Welsh? If so, he would be the first First Minister not to speak it fluently.
    It's a dead language, speaking Latin is more relevant and useful.
    You ought ot have a holiday in Wales sometime. Listen to the bairns on the school run train up the coast from the Dovey and Barmouth estuaries. They seem very alive to me ...
    I love hearing Gaelic when I visit Scotland but not Welsh in Wales.
    Depends where you have your holiday home.
    BTW, did you see the legislation has been passed to permit (not require) double council tax on second homes, but also be a bit more sensible about new buyers of empty homes to give them a chance to renovate/repair?

https://www.scottishlegal.com/articles/legislation-to-double-tax-second-homes-passed
    I shall have a read.

If it's anything like the latest pavement parking legislation there will be an exception for "people who have owned the land since before the Wars of Independence".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I was expecting the article to be by @NickPalmer given the headline...

An interesting analysis, but drawing a conclusion rather different from mine. Because swings of such magnitude are very rare, I would say Labour is unlikely to get an overall majority. Not impossible, but unlikely.

A couple of other points:

1) It's not worth considering elections before 1885 for swing, due to the restricted electorate, and in many ways it isn't worth considering elections before 1918 due to the limited number of seats actually contested. In 1900, for example, 243 seats were returned unopposed.

2) This also solves the problem with 1918!

3) I would also note the swing in 1931 was fiendishly complicated as well, due to splits, electoral pacts and the economic crisis. So that swing is not much use as a comparison.

4) The 1945 general election was not only the only election since 1900 held in wartime* but brought an end to the longest parliament since the dissolution of the Long Parliament in 1660. It was also the last election at which multiple voting was allowed. I don't think the swing there tells us much either.

5) That means that there is only one election where there was a swing which - if replicated - would give Starmer's Labour a majority. The election concerned was 1997. That swing would give Starmer a majority of one.

That's a formidable task. It's remarkable it's even possible, but even allowing for Rishi Sunak being more deluded than a Republican Senator it seems to me in the words of Lord Peter Wimsey an improbable-possible.

*Technically 1918 was too but there was a ceasefire in effect, so I'm not counting that.

All very good points.

I sway between thinking a) Labour can't possibly win a majority given the swing required, and b) the Conservatives can't possibly stop them given the past two years' poll and the ineptitude of the current leadership.

Truth is, none of us knows. A real-life drama will unfold next year.
    True, but if we gave up speculating how would @TSE know where to put his money to pay for more pairs of shoes?

(I enjoyed the header, by the way - was it you or TSE wrote the headline?)
    Me; TSE would probably have remembered to put an apostrophe after swingers.

(Although there's an arguable case against the apostrophe.)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    "So how rare is a big swing of this proportion? "

How rare is a government and a party that has been so stupid, so damaging and so shamelessly dishonest?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,349
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Ian Wright us stepping down from Match of the Day. Can it be hoped that the ghastly Lineker will leave too.?

That is a shame. I rather like Ian Wright. He wears his heart on his sleeve, which I rather like.

Re Lineker - He is rather good at his job. What is your objection? Is it the money he costs or the fact that he tweaks the noses of politicians or that you don't think he should be allowed to while presenting on BBC? They seem to be the main reasons people object to him. Haven't seen anyone complain about the fact that he does a good job.
    Lineker is a tad too smarmy for me, made worse by the ridiculous salary so not surprised he grates with those who don't like his politics, even if the level of their objection tends to the absurd.
    I have a feeling that Lineker isn't particularly left wing. He's so familiar with the wind up merchant aspect of football, he simply can't resist baiting the gammons.

But, if you get your kicks from winding up other people, it normally points to deeper rooted issues.
    It's hard not to tbh. You make a detailed analysis of Rwanda/20mph/Israel and everyone loses their minds. Might as well embrace it.
    On the subject of 20mph, I take it we've all accepted Vaughan Gething will be the next FM of the rotten Borough of Cymru?

Am I right in thinking he doesn't speak Welsh? If so, he would be the first First Minister not to speak it fluently.
    Not in North Wales, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, and Pontcanna it isn't.
    Corrected that post for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Jonathan said:

At some point, one nation and Business/Thatcherite conservatives need to start to fight for control of the right, rather than bowing down to and toying with Trumpian populists. Today, they look like a dying breed.

Who on the left can?

It will keep happening - indeed, it will grow - until someone in office gets a grip on migration.

This will shortly become Labour's problem. And putting your fingers in your ears isn't a strategy.

Immigration is an issue that largely concerns Tory and Reform voters. It is far less of a primary concern for everyone else. There was a very good piece on this in the FT at the end if last week.

Over half the public think its too high and should be reduced: https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/uk-public-opinion-toward-immigration-overall-attitudes-and-level-of-concern/

Labour need to have answers to this, or you might find those Tory and Reform voter numbers grow rather quickly.
    A lot depends on the Right Wing Press and which side they come down on and how hard they attack SKS's record during a GE.

It appears Lab have thrown everything to get Murdoch on SKS's side which would be good for him but the Mail/Express will be harder to persuade.

Under pressure i think Lab lead could plummet and hence the gains for LDs exceeding expectations.

Blue Tories cant win a Majority from here unless they abolish income tax!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,849
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

An interesting analysis, but drawing a conclusion rather different from mine. Because swings of such magnitude are very rare, I would say Labour is unlikely to get an overall majority. Not impossible, but unlikely.

1) It's not worth considering elections before 1885 for swing, due to the restricted electorate, and in many ways it isn't worth considering elections before 1918 due to the limited number of seats actually contested. In 1900, for example, 243 seats were returned unopposed.

3) I would also note the swing in 1931 was fiendishly complicated as well, due to splits, electoral pacts and the economic crisis. So that swing is not much use as a comparison.

4) The 1945 general election was not only the only election since 1900 held in wartime* but brought an end to the longest parliament since the dissolution of the Long Parliament in 1660. It was also the last election at which multiple voting was allowed. I don't think the swing there tells us much either.

5) That means that there is only one election where there was a swing which - if replicated - would give Starmer's Labour a majority. The election concerned was 1997. That swing would give Starmer a majority of one.

That's a formidable task. It's remarkable it's even possible, but even allowing for Rishi Sunak being more deluded than a Republican Senator it seems to me in the words of Lord Peter Wimsey an improbable-possible.

*Technically 1918 was too but there was a ceasefire in effect, so I'm not counting that.

Your thesis is that historical precedent (or lack thereof) trumps polling. I am sceptical. I think polling trumps historical precedent.

There’s no magic about historical precedent. It’s just what has happened to happen. There isn’t a mechanism of action by which what has happened before constrains what will happen next time. If very large numbers of people are saying they will vote Labour, and only small numbers say Conservative, I think we have to believe them.
    I think you're misunderstanding historical precedent. The point is not that 'because it was ever thus, it ever will be.' That's legal precedent. Historical precedent is, 'this is how our structures play out in the real world.' That incidentally includes polling precedent. You will notice we don't use that much and never from before 1992 because so many changes to methodology have taken place since then. (If we were, I'd point out that Labour had far larger leads than now in 1963 and came within an ace of losing the 1964 election. Even allowing for that, if memory serves Labour were frequently 16-20 points behind in the polls from 2008-10 and the electoral system helpfully still delivered them a hung Parliament on a mere 29% of the vote, although the Tories would be fools to expect a similar result on a similar share.)

It's also why I'm saying we should discount elections before 1945 in considering likely outcomes. I am pointing out that if we do such swings are extremely rare, and such seat gains as Labour require for a majority equally rare. Our system militates against it.

That doesn't mean such an outcome is impossible, merely that it shouldn't be favourite. Don't look at just the polls, look at the practicalities too.
    I think your case is that such swings HAVE BEEN extremely rare, which isn’t the same as saying they ARE extremely rare. The world can change.

If we take the polling at face value, then this analysis of historical swings suggests the next election will have a record swing. That could be because we’ve had an unusual period of politics (Brexit, the oddities of 2017/9, the rise of the Brexit Party/Reform), including other unprecedented events (COVID-19, PM turnover, PM law-breaking, tax levels, immigration levels).

But maybe also people’s voting behaviours have changed. The idea that you can’t have large swings comes down to the idea that most people won’t change how they vote. The “practicalities” of which you speak are of getting people to vote for a different party than last time. Maybe, in the modern era, after some unprecedented referendums, in a world of social media, people are just much more changeable in how they vote. I note that two out of the three highest ever Conservative->Labour swings in by-elections have been in this Parliament, and three out of the four highest Conservative->LibDem swings too. Isn’t that evidence that the electorate has become “swingier”?
    Yes, by definition because they have been rare they are rare. There is very little evidence that swings will be greater (although Scotland 2015 may be a canary in the coal mine, but we still need actual evidence).

Just to put your reply in a way I think you might appreciate, what you have effectively said is that because perpetual motion machines haven’t worked up to now doesn’t mean AI may not be about to change it.
    No, that’s a terrible argument for why perpetual motion machines don’t work. Perpetual motion machines don’t work because of physics. We can show that without ever having to look at their track record in history.

That’s the difference here. There is no psephological principle equivalent to the laws of thermodynamics that mean double digit swings can’t happen.
  • Options

Have SKS Fans explained?

@BritainElects
    ·
    3h

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 13 - 15 Dec

Well i am on NOM at what i think are generous odds considering SKS cant answer a single off script question without appearing to be the Lettuce;s 2nd coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqrfv8QkmYA
    You might have a point 😊.

Hope you are on at 10-1 minimum though 👍
    Not got 10/1 but am on average on at circa 6/1

I see LDs getting lots of the Tory seats making it harder for LAB to get over 50% of the seats.
    Something big and new would have to transpire for Lab to miss a majority now imo. It could happen but I suspect it would have to be something we have no sight of yet.

Certainly the points you criticise Starmer for won't be enough, they are already baked into the polls.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    edited December 2023

Jonathan said:

Who on the left can?

Given the record high immigration has happened under the Conservatives, why would people worried about the levels of immigration move to the Tories?

I think some of the routes that have led to high immigration are going to reduce whoever is in power. Student numbers will level out. The Ukraine and Hong Kong schemes will see fewer coming.
    Yes, I can’t see how the Tories can win votes on immigration when they are responsible for increasing it to record levels, especially as they are the first govt in a long while not hamstrung by FOM. It will surely just play into Reform’s hands to give the issue much prominence. And of course, (I’m not going to browbeaten into not saying what I want to say), whether his supporters like it or not, Sir Keir has dropped his leadership pledge to support FOM down the memory hole & is talking tough on immigration too nowadays, equating low migration with higher wages

In short, making immigration a big issue will only really help Farage and Reform; I’m relieved I didn’t have the bet I fancied on the Greens to outpoll them now
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464

ydoethur said:

One thing that jumps out is that this exact argument could have been made in early 1997 to show that the chances of Blair getting a huge landslide majority in the then-imminent election were actually really tiny.
    After all, other than the elections you rule out, the largest prior comparable swing was just over 5%, in 1979.
    What are the odds of not only equaling or exceeding that... but near-doubling it?
    A straight swing from 1992 of 5% (which would be arguably at the top end of what Blair could expect) would see him with a majority of somewhere in the upper-thirties, and the Tories with 255-260 seats retained.

We have a small statistical sample (arguably too small for statistical conclusions to be reached), all of which have specific circumstances that could make them special in one way or another.
    And were.

But again I remind you, even a gain like Blair's, an epochal event, would give Starmer a majority of 1. Even a seat gain of similar proportions gives a majority of just 30.

I think we're all looking at the polls and forgetting just how weak a position Labour are in right now.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Who on the left can?

A lot depends on the Right Wing Press and which side they come down on and how hard they attack SKS's record during a GE.

It appears Lab have thrown everything to get Murdoch on SKS's side which would be good for him but the Mail/Express will be harder to persuade.

Under pressure i think Lab lead could plummet and hence the gains for LDs exceeding expectations.

Blue Tories cant win a Majority from here unless they abolish income tax!
    In completely unrelated news this morning

'Labour backs away from press reforms after Prince Harry’s phone-hacking court victory'

"The party has made it clear that Keir Starmer had no intention of reviving the second stage of the Leveson inquiry"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,974
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

You ought ot have a holiday in Wales sometime. Listen to the bairns on the school run train up the coast from the Dovey and Barmouth estuaries. They seem very alive to me ...
    I love hearing Gaelic when I visit Scotland but not Welsh in Wales.
    Depends where you have your holiday home.
    Don't you mean, where he *had* it?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Your thesis is that historical precedent (or lack thereof) trumps polling. I am sceptical. I think polling trumps historical precedent.

There’s no magic about historical precedent. It’s just what has happened to happen. There isn’t a mechanism of action by which what has happened before constrains what will happen next time. If very large numbers of people are saying they will vote Labour, and only small numbers say Conservative, I think we have to believe them.
    I think you're misunderstanding historical precedent. The point is not that 'because it was ever thus, it ever will be.' That's legal precedent. Historical precedent is, 'this is how our structures play out in the real world.' That incidentally includes polling precedent. You will notice we don't use that much and never from before 1992 because so many changes to methodology have taken place since then. (If we were, I'd point out that Labour had far larger leads than now in 1963 and came within an ace of losing the 1964 election. Even allowing for that, if memory serves Labour were frequently 16-20 points behind in the polls from 2008-10 and the electoral system helpfully still delivered them a hung Parliament on a mere 29% of the vote, although the Tories would be fools to expect a similar result on a similar share.)

It's also why I'm saying we should discount elections before 1945 in considering likely outcomes. I am pointing out that if we do such swings are extremely rare, and such seat gains as Labour require for a majority equally rare. Our system militates against it.

That doesn't mean such an outcome is impossible, merely that it shouldn't be favourite. Don't look at just the polls, look at the practicalities too.
    I think your case is that such swings HAVE BEEN extremely rare, which isn’t the same as saying they ARE extremely rare. The world can change.

If we take the polling at face value, then this analysis of historical swings suggests the next election will have a record swing. That could be because we’ve had an unusual period of politics (Brexit, the oddities of 2017/9, the rise of the Brexit Party/Reform), including other unprecedented events (COVID-19, PM turnover, PM law-breaking, tax levels, immigration levels).

But maybe also people’s voting behaviours have changed. The idea that you can’t have large swings comes down to the idea that most people won’t change how they vote. The “practicalities” of which you speak are of getting people to vote for a different party than last time. Maybe, in the modern era, after some unprecedented referendums, in a world of social media, people are just much more changeable in how they vote. I note that two out of the three highest ever Conservative->Labour swings in by-elections have been in this Parliament, and three out of the four highest Conservative->LibDem swings too. Isn’t that evidence that the electorate has become “swingier”?
    Yes, by definition because they have been rare they are rare. There is very little evidence that swings will be greater (although Scotland 2015 may be a canary in the coal mine, but we still need actual evidence).

Just to put your reply in a way I think you might appreciate, what you have effectively said is that because perpetual motion machines haven’t worked up to now doesn’t mean AI may not be about to change it.
    No, that’s a terrible argument for why perpetual motion machines don’t work. Perpetual motion machines don’t work because of physics. We can show that without ever having to look at their track record in history.

That’s the difference here. There is no psephological principle equivalent to the laws of thermodynamics that mean double digit swings can’t happen.
    Sigh.

We do however have this thing called the laws of mathematics.

(Actually I was quoting the editor of a scientific journal on FROG.)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    On the subject of swings, when gathering figures for the table in the header, I was struck by the 1865 election.

Palmerston's Liberals lost 6.3% of the vote to the Tories and... saw their seat numbers increase by 13, while the Tories lost 9 seats (4 additional seats had been created).

(There appear to have been no other parties at that time because in 1865 it seems:

That every boy and every gal
    That’s born into the world alive
    Is either a little Liberal
    Or else a little Conservative
    )
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

One thing that jumps out is that this exact argument could have been made in early 1997 to show that the chances of Blair getting a huge landslide majority in the then-imminent election were actually really tiny.
    After all, other than the elections you rule out, the largest prior comparable swing was just over 5%, in 1979.
    What are the odds of not only equaling or exceeding that... but near-doubling it?
    A straight swing from 1992 of 5% (which would be arguably at the top end of what Blair could expect) would see him with a majority of somewhere in the upper-thirties, and the Tories with 255-260 seats retained.

We have a small statistical sample (arguably too small for statistical conclusions to be reached), all of which have specific circumstances that could make them special in one way or another.
    And were.

But again I remind you, even a gain like Blair's, an epochal event, would give Starmer a majority of 1. Even a seat gain of similar proportions gives a majority of just 30.

I think we're all looking at the polls and forgetting just how weak a position Labour are in right now.
    Labour were weak at the 2019 election, but that doesn’t mean they have a weak position now.

When people go into the polling booth, they’re not given a slip of paper saying how they voted last time. It’s not more physically arduous to vote for a different party than the party you voted for last time. Elections are memoryless. It doesn’t matter how many you got last time; it matters how many people vote for you this time. And polling tell us how people are intending to vote this time.

I still think you are ascribing some mythical power to the last result that just isn’t there.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,032

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

You have not lived until you have tried to check a Welsh relative's Maths homework.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Not in Wales it isn't.
    The Welsh language was invented by somebody who was shit at Scrabble.
    The bag had no "x"s and too many "l"s and "y"s
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    edited December 2023
    It’s just struck me that, in Dec 19, people on here who misheard Boris say ‘People of talent’ as ‘people of colour’ used that misunderstanding as evidence of his true colours - to restrict the immigration of non whites to the UK, all part of the secret fascist ideology.

Four years hence and we’ve seen the biggest annual influx of immigrants from non white countries of the world on record! Just goes to show, you can’t believe everything you misread
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

There is no law of mathematics being applied here. There is maybe a law of statistics, but you’d be torturing it to apply it here. Your sample size is way too small.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

Labour were weak at the 2019 election, but that doesn’t mean they have a weak position now.

When people go into the polling booth, they’re not given a slip of paper saying how they voted last time. It’s not more physically arduous to vote for a different party than the party you voted for last time. Elections are memoryless. It doesn’t matter how many you got last time; it matters how many people vote for you this time. And polling tell us how people are intending to vote this time.

I still think you are ascribing some mythical power to the last result that just isn’t there.
    No, I'm not, I'm talking about probabilities and statistics. Which you seem unable to grasp.

I think you and many others are guilty of wishful thinking.

I have repeatedly said it is POSSIBLE that Labour could win a majority but for a host of reasons it is UNLIKELY. I have also demonstrated the claims made for 2019 being unreliable are flawed and therefore should not be used as the basis for a betting strategy.

I could be wrong. This could be a 97 style reversal. Heck, it could be like Canada '93 if the Tories keep screwing up. But none of the reasons advanced make that probable.

See if you can make a good argument and I'll consider it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

This is what makes the coming year so fascinating.

I think I'm going to make a few posts explaining how a Labour landslide is nailed on, and a few setting out why I have a sneaking suspicion the Tories will win again.

That way I will be able to point to my stupendous Leonesque powers of prediction, by reference to the relevant posts.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

I have to disagree, Uniform swing is unlikely to happen, more likely tactical voting in blue areas and the return to labour in large numbers in red wall. The averages may turn out like the polling.
  • Options

Any thoughts on the Mone interview? Aside from it being very funny?

I am sure our hearts go out to her and her husband.

What will an incoming Lab Govt do about it?
    Welcome her back?

'Mone says she previously supported the Labour Party, as did her family, but withdrew her support in 2009 after the prime minister, Gordon Brown, increased the top income tax rate to 50%'
    The volte face on here when previously staunch Tory supporters, criticised in the most lurid terms, are suddenly commended for seeing the light and embracing Labour once it's back comfortably in office will be a wonder to behold.
    Agreed but thats what SKS Fans are like

No principles at all

Would you refer yourself to Clause 1 of the Labour Party constitution? Quite simply they need to be elected to be able to do anything. Not declaring war on newspapers out of "principles" is one of the smarter things Starmer has done.

The hard left hate Starmer because he has made the party electable again. Getting elected is what the hard left hate the most, because the real world is about compromise and they equate compromise to selling out.

Consensus, not division.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

No, I'm not, I'm talking about probabilities and statistics. Which you seem unable to grasp.

I have repeatedly said it is POSSIBLE that Labour could win a majority but for a host of reasons it is UNLIKELY. I have also demonstrated the claims made for 2019 being unreliable are flawed and therefore should not be used as the basis for a betting strategy.

I could be wrong. This could be a 97 style reversal. Heck, it could be like Canada '93 if the Tories keep screwing up. But none of the reasons advanced make that probable.

It's a good challenge but requires consideration. I might have a go myself some time.

But one quick point: The only current evidence we have is the opinion polls, and how people have actually voted in recent by-elections and local elections. All of that points to a big Labour majority.

Why would any previous election or previous swing trump that?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

What’s the best evidence for how people are going to vote at the next election? I suggest it’s polling. What does the polling say? Massive Labour victory.

What’s the second best evidence for how people are going to vote at the next election? By-elections and local election results. What do these say? Massive Labour victory (and a good LD performance).

I’m happy to concede that historical trends suggest a large swing is unlikely. A note of caution has been sounded. Is that compelling evidence in the face of the polling and election evidence? No. Someone suggested upthread that they’d take NOM at 10:1. I can see that being maybe worthwhile. However, the actual odds for NOM are currently 9:2 and that seems foolhardy to me. But you can bet how you want.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595

In the past the main dividing line between conservative and Labour was class based. Hence swings tended to be small as there were two basic monolithic voting blocks.

Today the class based system has broken down into several voting blocks, for example the seven segments used by More in Common https://www.britainschoice.uk/segments/

As such both Conservatives and Labour have to appeal to a significantly bigger tent of voters to form a majority which brings its stresses and strains when trying to appeal specifically to one segment whilst not putting off another.

Thus it is possible now to have a larger swing if one segment moves party because of a particular focus (or non focus) on issues which they approve/disapprove.

It also makes the task of remaining in government more difficult as there are different political pressures as a result of the fragmentation.

Historic analysis of swings I would argue are not particularly relevant given the changing social and political dynamics of the population.

I think that's spot on. The old class-based analysis of voting led by people like Butler & Stokes is well past its sell-by date. Party loyalties (largely class-based) back in the seventies and before accounted for as much as 75% of voting habits; off the top of my head, I'd guess that's well below 50% now. The electorate is in a permanent state of flux, so pretty much anything is possible. And that's obviously not just a UK phenomenon - look at France over the last 10 years.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,296

Have SKS Fans explained?

@BritainElects
    ·
    3h

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 13 - 15 Dec

Labour do seem to have trimmed their sails to about 40% in a few polls recently, though.

It's not far off where Cameron was in December 2009, the year before the election, which led to a hung parliament.

The difference is that the Conservatives are in a worse position. Not that Labour are doing miles better.
    But in 2010 the Lib Dems got 23%.
    If the LDs somehow surged to that level by the GE, there probably would be a hung parliament,
    with the Tories in third place!
    There is a none zero chance of that happening. It would be interesting to calculate odds for that...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

This is what makes the coming year so fascinating.

I think I'm going to make a few posts explaining how a Labour landslide is nailed on, and a few setting out why I have a sneaking suspicion the Tories will win again.

That way I will be able to point to my stupendous Leonesque powers of prediction, by reference to the relevant posts.
    Always good to keep your options open!

2024 is full of uncertainty.

However at the moment LAB are huge favourites to win.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

Err there's no such thing as the "laws of mathematics". Theorems and proofs are built on definitions and axioms.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    edited December 2023

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Like Gaels on a smaller scale, Welsh speakers only learn their dead language to make tourists paranoid.
    Sorry but that's complete rubbish. People want to speak it because it is their native tongue. How is it a dead language? The numbers have been declining but it is still something like 20% of people who are fluent. I always refused to learn as a child much to my Grandmother's disappointment. I remember Richard Osman's House Of Games asking some very well educated guests how many welsh speakers there were and the answers were in the ten of thousands!

Now I do have issues with Welsh language policy which can be a pain and you have parents wanting their kids to speak Welsh so they can access jobs that require people to be bilingual in the public sector. I also worry about kids not being educated through their mother tongue. But how can a language be dead if nearly a million people speak it?

As for the future I'm less sure. Pretty much everyone speaks English and if you are brought up bilingual there is less of a emotional reason to want it to survive. I do detect a certain envy among Scottish nationalists that the Welsh have a language of their own.
  • Options
    Calling PB Rocketeers. Surely Shetland's a terrible place to launch rockets from - too far north, too little ocean to the east?

What am I missing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-67741864
  • Options

In the past the main dividing line between conservative and Labour was class based. Hence swings tended to be small as there were two basic monolithic voting blocks.

Today the class based system has broken down into several voting blocks, for example the seven segments used by More in Common https://www.britainschoice.uk/segments/

As such both Conservatives and Labour have to appeal to a significantly bigger tent of voters to form a majority which brings its stresses and strains when trying to appeal specifically to one segment whilst not putting off another.

Thus it is possible now to have a larger swing if one segment moves party because of a particular focus (or non focus) on issues which they approve/disapprove.

It also makes the task of remaining in government more difficult as there are different political pressures as a result of the fragmentation.

Historic analysis of swings I would argue are not particularly relevant given the changing social and political dynamics of the population.

I think that's spot on. The old class-based analysis of voting led by people like Butler & Stokes is well past its sell-by date. Party loyalties (largely class-based) back in the seventies and before accounted for as much as 75% of voting habits; off the top of my head, I'd guess that's well below 50% now. The electorate is in a permanent state of flux, so pretty much anything is possible. And that's obviously not just a UK phenomenon - look at France over the last 10 years.
    Agreed. I think voters are more volatile than 50 years ago. Big swings are thus commoner.

Which is why I would be cautious about the possibility of some black swan event at the next election. Polling today can’t tell us about future events. But a big shift in polling wouldn’t have to be a Tory recovery. It could be a LD surge, a RefUK surge, a Green surge, a brand new party surge, an Alba surge… Those might make NOM more likely (although a RefUK surge would probably make a Lab majority more likely).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Not in Wales it isn't.
    The Welsh language was invented by somebody who was shit at Scrabble.
    The bag had no "x"s and too many "l"s and "y"s
    Ll is a tile in Scrabble Cymraeg. So, IIRC, is dd.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,630
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in PB.com is the law of PB.com
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Cicero said:

Have SKS Fans explained?

@BritainElects
    ·
    3h

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 13 - 15 Dec

Labour do seem to have trimmed their sails to about 40% in a few polls recently, though.

It's not far off where Cameron was in December 2009, the year before the election, which led to a hung parliament.

The difference is that the Conservatives are in a worse position. Not that Labour are doing miles better.
    If the LDs somehow surged to that level by the GE, there probably would be a hung parliament,
    There is a none zero chance of that happening. It would be interesting to calculate odds for that...
    I don’t think the LDs will poll 23% at the GE but I think there’s a decent chance they end up getting 16-17% with the vast majority of those votes distributed very efficiently in relation to Labour’s.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Have SKS Fans explained?

@BritainElects
    ·
    3h

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 13 - 15 Dec

It would be a major scientific breakthrough* if you could calculate the odds for that.

(*Involving time-travel)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    To be clear Welsh is not a dead language. It is a language who's speakers fear it may well die.
  • Options
    Actually I'm fascinated. @Ydoethur can you give me an example of a law of mathematics ?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Actually I'm fascinated. @Ydoethur can you give me an example of a law of mathematics ?

How about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_cosines?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

Err there's no such thing as the "laws of mathematics". Theorems and proofs are built on definitions and axioms.
    Maybe it's better to ask for a statement of these "laws of mathematics" and then evaluate them on that basis.

Sunak is reportedly a fan of mathematics. Maybe mathematics will reciprocate by keeping him in power. (That was a joke.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

The analogy with laws of thermodynamics is interesting. People do come up with systems that appear to break thermodynamics. The answer is always that there's some energy store that was missing from the initial analysis.

So what's the new energy store that breaks the law of swing dynamics? I'd go with the utter awfulness of the present government- I'd say they have failed more than Major or Brown, and I'm too young to do a Callaghan vs. Sunak comparison.

Assuming that the Conservatives lose to the extent that they deserve, how do Labour not get a chunky majority?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Keir Starmer > Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

What’s the best evidence for how people are going to vote at the next election? I suggest it’s polling. What does the polling say? Massive Labour victory.

What’s the second best evidence for how people are going to vote at the next election? By-elections and local election results. What do these say? Massive Labour victory (and a good LD performance).

I’m happy to concede that historical trends suggest a large swing is unlikely. A note of caution has been sounded. Is that compelling evidence in the face of the polling and election evidence? No. Someone suggested upthread that they’d take NOM at 10:1. I can see that being maybe worthwhile. However, the actual odds for NOM are currently 9:2 and that seems foolhardy to me. But you can bet how you want.
    Large swings are historically rare.

Because the conditions for large swings are rare.

However, we can observe that the current conditions are those that favour large swings. Which means that simply looking at all past elections is actually the wrong data.

We have a long running, very tired government. Which is polling on core vote for a substantial period m, across multiple polling companies.

The next biggest indicator is tactical voting - are we seeing that in by-elections? If so, that means a massive increase in the efficiency of opposition votes.

Then comes the stay-at-home factor - Tory voters just not voting. This is harder to detect in by-elections.

If we see evidence of those 2, then it’s is 1997 time. Nailed on.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

NB: The Labour leads in 1963 ranged from 8 to 20.5 points. This year they have ranged from 10 points to 30 points.
    Over 30% of the Labour leads this year have been in excess of the greatest Labour lead recorded in 1963.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And were.

Large swings are historically rare.

Because the conditions for large swings are rare.

However, we can observe that the current conditions are those that favour large swings. Which means that simply looking at all past elections is actually the wrong data.

We have a long running, very tired government. Which is polling on core vote for a substantial period m, across multiple polling companies.

The next biggest indicator is tactical voting - are we seeing that in by-elections? If so, that means a massive increase in the efficiency of opposition votes.

Then comes the stay-at-home factor - Tory voters just not voting. This is harder to detect in by-elections.

If we see evidence of those 2, then it’s is 1997 time. Nailed on.

1997 didn't really have tactical voting the way I expect it to play out in the next election.

Which means that I can easily see the Tories with less than 100 seats at the next election as some unexpected places return Lib Dem MPs...
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,104
    Jonathan said:

In the long run they will win

The brand is too powerful

Think of this like being the 1840s-1860s period.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,855
    edited December 2023
    Did we do this yet ?

Rishi Sunak intervened to stop officials scrapping £40 million contract that provides him with “VIP” helicopter rides

MoD planned to spend cash elsewhere

But head of RAF Squadron which runs choppers says this was “reversed at the request” of the PM

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1736286797749993540

"...source confirmed reversal came at Sunak’s request shorty after Grant Shapps replaced Ben Wallace. "
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,643
    On topic. Many thanks for a concise, clear and fun header.

But can I cast doubt on “Even for Labour to emerge with a bare majority at the next General Election…it would require a Labour lead of over 5% on the new boundaries according to Electoral Calculus, thus a swing of more than 8.5%” with the theory, if tactical voting is precise to sneak over the line where needed, bigger swings to Labour here, lesser swings to Labour where not needed, the full 8.5% national swing won’t be required?
  • Options

But can I cast doubt on “Even for Labour to emerge with a bare majority at the next General Election…it would require a Labour lead of over 5% on the new boundaries according to Electoral Calculus, thus a swing of more than 8.5%” with the theory, if tactical voting is precise to sneak over the line where needed, bigger swings to Labour here, lesser swings to Labour where not needed, the full 8.5% national swing won’t be required?

Thanks, and yes, fair point.

I never quite know how to use the Electoral Calculus 'tactical voting' feature, so I generally don't. What tactical voting percentages to put in, and what do they mean?

Also, my whole adult life tactical voting has been the dog that didn't bark.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Theorem defined from the axioms of Euclidean geometry.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Calling PB Rocketeers. Surely Shetland's a terrible place to launch rockets from - too far north, too little ocean to the east?

What am I missing?

Polar orbits

UK is a terrible place to launch from. Because of the direction the earth spins it's best to launch in an easterly direction and go for an equatorial orbit. But east of UK is Russia (and China) and they get miffed if you launch missile-y things at them. So that doesn't fly (hah!).

But if you want a polar orbit and to launch North, Shetlands is ideal: it's water or ice all the way to the Pacific[1]. And if you want to surveil high-north or high-south latitudes, a polar orbit is good.

So it's a good little niche and we can exploit it. It's one of the only good things the Tories have done (see also small new railway stations).

[1] https://www.pinterest.com/pin/map-centered-on-the-north-pole--694258098783861034/
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Like Gaels on a smaller scale, Welsh speakers only learn their dead language to make tourists paranoid.
    Sorry but that's complete rubbish. People want to speak it because it is their native tongue. How is it a dead language? The numbers have been declining but it is still something like 20% of people who are fluent. I always refused to learn as a child much to my Grandmother's disappointment. I remember Richard Osman's House Of Games asking some very well educated guests how many welsh speakers there were and the answers were in the ten of thousands!

Now I do have issues with Welsh language policy which can be a pain and you have parents wanting their kids to speak Welsh so they can access jobs that require people to be bilingual in the public sector. I also worry about kids not being educated through their mother tongue. But how can a language be dead if nearly a million people speak it?

As for the future I'm less sure. Pretty much everyone speaks English and if you are brought up bilingual there is less of a emotional reason to want it to survive. I do detect a certain envy among Scottish nationalists that the Welsh have a language of their own.
    I didn't think the irony was that oblique.
    I was satirising whiny tourists going on about Gaelic road signs and 'rude' locals speaking their own language in pubs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100

What am I missing?

From memory, it's complex to launch from there, and also inefficient, but okay for polar orbits. IIRC there have to be a couple of zigzags to avoid oilfields. There's also a planned one on the mainland to the east of Durness.

Also from memory, I think Lockheed Martin are heavily involved with the Shetland one.

Given the increasing importance of space infrastructure / observation, a native launch site could become fairly important. Perhaps.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sigh.

Maybe it's better to ask for a statement of these "laws of mathematics" and then evaluate them on that basis.

Sunak is reportedly a fan of mathematics. Maybe mathematics will reciprocate by keeping him in power. (That was a joke.)
    I have to say that I have severe doubts about Sunak having much grasp of mathematics at all. (Maybe he enjoys doing arithmetic, but that's really not the same thing.)

His assertion that encouraging social mixing in the Summer of 2020 (i.e. pre-vaccination) was fine - which he still claims to believe - suggests that he has no comprehension at all of the basic "Susceptible-Infected-Removed" model of epidemiology (which is obviously a simple practical example of applied mathematics).

Not quite on a level with Boris Johnson's inability to understand doubling-time as "the time it takes for something to double", but still placing Sunak pretty squarely among the innumerate majority of politicians.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

Rishi Sunak intervened to stop officials scrapping £40 million contract that provides him with “VIP” helicopter rides

But head of RAF Squadron which runs choppers says this was “reversed at the request” of the PM

"...source confirmed reversal came at Sunak’s request shorty after Grant Shapps replaced Ben Wallace. "

Rishi is sooo important he deserves his own helicopter squadron. In RishiWorld the cost is a mere trifle.
  • Options

Btw, thanks for the interesting piece, Ben.

Has it occurred to you that it will probably cause a spike in visitors to the Site? Imagine all those people googling Swingers Clubs and being directed here. Ah well, it will make a change from Russian Trolls.

They will be busy trying to figure out the secret code
  • Options

Jonathan said:

In the long run they will win

The brand is too powerful

Think of this like being the 1840s-1860s period.
    That's probably what the Liberals said in 1918.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

What am I missing?

Polar orbits

UK is a terrible place to launch from. Because of the direction the earth spins it's best to launch in an easterly direction and go for an equatorial orbit. But east of UK is Russia (and China) and they get miffed if you launch missile-y things at them. So that doesn't fly (hah!).

But if you want a polar orbit and to launch North, Shetlands is ideal: it's water or ice all the way to the Pacific[1]. And if you want to surveil high-north or high-south latitudes, a polar orbit is good.

So it's a good little niche and we can exploit it. It's one of the only good things the Tories have done.

[1] https://www.pinterest.com/pin/map-centered-on-the-north-pole--694258098783861034/
    And not getting on board the Branson hype train. Which upset some people.
  • Options

Has it occurred to you that it will probably cause a spike in visitors to the Site? Imagine all those people googling Swingers Clubs and being directed here. Ah well, it will make a change from Russian Trolls.

Just wait till we start talking about gardening and what to plant out front. Now that really will confuse people.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

Rishi is sooo important he deserves his own helicopter squadron. In RishiWorld the cost is a mere trifle.
    Though not so trifling that he is willing to pay it himself.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Just wait till we start talking about gardening and what to plant out front. Now that really will confuse people.
    Pampas grass, shirley?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

theProle said:

I don't think that the government is either willing or able to do this, but imagine that every single illegal who enters the UK goes on a plane to Rwanda the following day, without fail.

That's not the plan, but even if it was it doesn't work.

The whole argument is that putting some people on a plane will stop all people getting in a boat.

One person from a plane getting on a boat nullifies the entire argument.
    Not really

Let’s say that it stops 99 out of a hundred. Is that really a failure?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

It will be interesting to see whether Labour goes on the offensive or if Starmer fancies flying about the place too.
  • Options

What am I missing?

From memory, it's complex to launch from there, and also inefficient, but okay for polar orbits. IIRC there have to be a couple of zigzags to avoid oilfields. There's also a planned one on the mainland to the east of Durness.

Also from memory, I think Lockheed Martin are heavily involved with the Shetland one.

Given the increasing importance of space infrastructure / observation, a native launch site could become fairly important. Perhaps.
    Personally, I can’t see any downsides to launching east from Southern England.

There’s a perfectly good country, there, to crash/land first stages on.

On a serious note - it seems likely that within a decade of 2, first stages will be like airliners - not a deadly missile, but a reliably reusable machine that needs a landing port.

Which changes the whole launch site positioning equation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'll take your word for it.

At what point does a theorem become a proven law - or does that not happen in Mathematics? (In which case aren't we simply talking semantics?)
  • Options
    edited December 2023

What am I missing?

Oddly enough, I've been to that very spot - Lamba Ness - on a Shetland holiday, long before UK space was thought of as having a future. Must have been in one of the most northerly B&Bs in the UK ... we were having a walk and the old WW2 remains caught my eye so of course we went onto the Ness and had a look around. Turns out to have been a WW2 Chain Home radar site, the northernmost of them all. I suppose much the same reasons - clear views, nothing much more to the north, etc. etc.
    https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/hes/web/f?p=1505:200:::NO:RP:SEARCH_UNDERWAY:1
    https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13097
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,413

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

It will be interesting to see whether Labour goes on the offensive or if Starmer fancies flying about the place too.
    Are you offering a book on this? I know where my money is.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pampas grass, shirley?
    That was so 1960s. Like pineapple hedgehogs. It's different now, I expect. Not that I know what it is.
  • Options
    TimS said:

The best Twitter thread of the weekend has just dropped:

Ofcom has published a list of swearwords by degree of offensiveness, which really is a f****** great service for non-native speakers. So here it is (thread)
    https://x.com/hhesterm/status/1736293337689182593?s=46

There was one swear word so offensive it didn’t even make the list

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,687

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

At what point does a theorem become a proven law - or does that not happen in Mathematics? (In which case aren't we simply talking semantics?)
    Oh for once something I know about. A theorem in mathematics is derived or to be derived. Only Axioms are assumptions of which there are very very few in maths.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,031
    edited December 2023

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

Starmer ought to say he won't use private jets or helicopters unless it's an emergency situation.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,126

What am I missing?

weather as well, though it is the best location from a location perspective for getting into orbit etc, seemingly. Plus liek nucleur weapons , they woudl prefer to blow up Scottish than take chance of blowing up English people.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,413
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Pampas grass, shirley?
    That was so 1960s. Like pineapple hedgehogs. It's different now, I expect. Not that I know what it is.
    I remember pineapple and cheese hedgehogs. Height of sophistication at your soiree even in the early 1970s!

And baked Alaska for desert. Those were the days.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595
    edited December 2023
    On helicopters, Sunak is planning GE 24 to be like the great scene from Goodfellas, isn't he?
    Henry Hill (Starmer) drives around desperately trying to seal the deal, while Sunak tracks him menacingly in a helicopter trying to bring him down before it's done.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,126

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

what an absolute tosser Sunak is, if anything worse than Boris and a bigger grifter.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh for once something I know about. A theorem in mathematics is derived or to be derived. Only Axioms are assumptions of which there are very very few in maths.
    A theorem that has yet to be proved is just a conjecture, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Some points I hadn't appreciated about the £38K limit:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/17/legal-action-planned-over-uk-cruel-income-threshold-visa-rules

'Meanwhile, new analysis shows the doubling of the threshold means most people in large parts of the UK will no longer earn enough to live with a partner from abroad, creating a new north-south divide. Three-quarters of people can afford to bring a loved one from abroad, but under the new threshold, more than 60% will not be able to afford it, rising to 75% in the north-east of England.

People in the north-east, Yorkshire and the Humber, the north-west, east Midlands, Wales and Northern Ireland will be worst affected and the south-east will be least affected.

[...]

The government has left open the possibility that even families already living together in the UK under the existing rules could be split up or have to move abroad if they do not meet the new criteria when their visa comes up for renewal. The Home Office said it “will confirm more details in due course”.

Pardon my French, but I thought PBers who complained about immigration complained most about the Southeast and housing shortage etc. etc. there?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It's semantics.
    An axiom is, in one sense of 'law', a law - though perhaps the latter is sufficiently imprecise a term to be inappropriate in maths ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

what an absolute tosser Sunak is, if anything worse than Boris and a bigger grifter.
    Wrong! He's a very much smaller grifter.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/17/legal-action-planned-over-uk-cruel-income-threshold-visa-rules

'Meanwhile, new analysis shows the doubling of the threshold means most people in large parts of the UK will no longer earn enough to live with a partner from abroad, creating a new north-south divide. Three-quarters of people can afford to bring a loved one from abroad, but under the new threshold, more than 60% will not be able to afford it, rising to 75% in the north-east of England.

People in the north-east, Yorkshire and the Humber, the north-west, east Midlands, Wales and Northern Ireland will be worst affected and the south-east will be least affected.

[...]

The government has left open the possibility that even families already living together in the UK under the existing rules could be split up or have to move abroad if they do not meet the new criteria when their visa comes up for renewal. The Home Office said it “will confirm more details in due course”.

Pardon my French, but I thought PBers who complained about immigration complained most about the Southeast and housing shortage etc. etc. there?

There's one thing I haven't quite understood about this idea of £38k being the minimum a couple needs to live on.

Is the state pension going to be raised to £19k per person? Did I miss that?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Pampas grass, shirley?
    I remember pineapple and cheese hedgehogs. Height of sophistication at your soiree even in the early 1970s!

And baked Alaska for desert. Those were the days.
    When British tanks and armoured cars and things were shiny green, too.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Carnyx said:

[...]

There's one thing I haven't quite understood about this idea of £38k being the minimum a couple needs to live on.

Me neither. Perhaps it is to do with them paying for medical and social stuff, what with not being proper Brits in the view of the Tories, or something.
  • Options

Laws can’t target individuals and government’s shouldn’t

This government is doing the right thing by pursuing her in the courts and an incoming Labour government should continue with that approach
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

The Albanian PM towers over him.

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It's semantics.
    An axiom is, in one sense of 'law', a law - though perhaps the latter is sufficiently imprecise a term to be inappropriate in maths ?
    I would say theorems are the mathematical equivalent to laws, and axioms are even more fundamental than that - perhaps the definitions that the laws need to state upfront in order to mean anything.

But anyway, laws are made to be broken, and mathematicians are generally not big fans of (for example) "exceptions that prove the rule".
  • Options
    Something else for Tories to Mone about.

To all those who used the pandemic to get rich quick:

We want our money back.

Labour will appointment a Covid Corruption Commissioner to come after you.

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1736354518181327017
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

Is that Meloni in the middle? She’s exactly the right height for him.
  • Options

Laws can’t target individuals and government’s shouldn’t

This government is doing the right thing by pursuing her in the courts and an incoming Labour government should continue with that approach
    Wasn't the punitive rate of VAT on sailing stuff in the 1970s aimed at Ted Heath, or is that an urban myth?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

He looks like a cardboard cut out
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

[...]

Me neither. Perhaps it is to do with them paying for medical and social stuff, what with not being proper Brits in the view of the Tories, or something.
    The new Tory criterion of Brits being "rich people"?

The old one used to be "white people".

I don't much like either.
  • Options

Thanks, and yes, fair point.

I never quite know how to use the Electoral Calculus 'tactical voting' feature, so I generally don't. What tactical voting percentages to put in, and what do they mean?

Also, my whole adult life tactical voting has been the dog that didn't bark.
    Strong TV (third party squeezed to near zero) hasn't been a thing, sure. But one of my fave electoral facts is that the Conservative share of the vote barely moved between '79 and '92, or across '15 to '19. What did change was the distribution of non-Conservative voters; pretty efficient in '92 and '17, horrible in '83 and '19.

Even before the blues started going really Tonto, I reckon we were looking at LibLabNat fighting the opposition, not each other.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Did we do this yet ?

Is that Meloni in the middle? She’s exactly the right height for him.
    No wonder they see eye to eye.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

[...]

I really hate to think what it is doing to the universities, for instance. Especially with this malicious reluctance to say whether existing families are still OK.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

[...]

I really hate to think what it is doing to the universities, for instance. Especially with this malicious reluctance to say whether existing families are still OK.
    Look, 17.4 million people voted to send the forrin home. If they only earn £37k. It was literally on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    Republican strategist Jeff Roe quits pro-DeSantis super PAC amid turmoil

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/16/republican-strategist-jeff-roe-quits-pro-desantis-super-pac-amid-turmoil-00132164
    Jeff Roe, a top strategist for the main super PAC supporting Ron DeSantis’ presidential campaign, announced his resignation from the group late Saturday — the latest in a string of departures from the organization.

The pro-DeSantis group, Never Back Down, has been enveloped in turmoil in recent weeks. Two weeks ago, it fired three of its top officials, including the super PAC’s chief executive officer. The board chairman, former Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt, also left, as did the organization’s president, Chris Jankowski...

• Options

TimS said:

The best Twitter thread of the weekend has just dropped:

Ofcom has published a list of swearwords by degree of offensiveness, which really is a f****** great service for non-native speakers. So here it is (thread)
    https://x.com/hhesterm/status/1736293337689182593?s=46

There was one swear word so offensive it didn’t even make the list

Blimey! Crikey! Bloomin' heck! That is a ruddy short list.
This discussion has been closed.