Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nikki Haley now clear second favourite for the GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Someone else looking after her kids all day, and she’s moaning that she can’t get out on the piss after work because of them. Bet they’ll love seeing this when they’re older

As I walk past everyone going to Christmas parties and drinks on my way to get the kids from nursery, yet again acutely aware the motherhood penalty is just a gift that keeps giving….

Not just flexible working we need but flexible networking too….

https://x.com/stellacreasy/status/1735003828775268603?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Why isn’t her partner or father of her children splitting the child collection with her? Is he an unreconstructed chauvinist? Does he actually split it so she could actually go to Christmas drinks and parties? Does he have a job that is wildly more important than being an MP and so she has to subsume her life to support his vital work? Is this a load of self pitying bollocks?
  • Options
    isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Someone else looking after her kids all day, and she’s moaning that she can’t get out on the piss after work because of them. Bet they’ll love seeing this when they’re older

As I walk past everyone going to Christmas parties and drinks on my way to get the kids from nursery, yet again acutely aware the motherhood penalty is just a gift that keeps giving….

https://x.com/stellacreasy/status/1735003828775268603?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Networking is the bloody problem. What we need is not new networking opportunities for new mums or centrist dads, it is to dismantle networks and recruit on merit. (And note she does not complain that Christmas parties might discriminate against other religions, or drinks against non-drinkers. It's all about her.)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    @NatashaC
    No10 confirm that they won't be appointing a dedicated minister for disabled people.

The brief will be handed to someone within the department already, on top of their existing responsibilities.

Comes after last week they appointed two migration ministers.

No10 deny it is a downgrade.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Networking is the bloody problem. What we need is not new networking opportunities for new mums or centrist dads, it is to dismantle networks and recruit on merit. (And note she does not complain that Christmas parties might discriminate against other religions, or drinks against non-drinkers. It's all about her.)
    Missing works Christmas parties sounds more like a motherhood perk to me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Will something like this come to the UK?

https://x.com/realchrisrufo/status/1735026560015720632

Oklahoma @GovStitt has signed an executive order abolishing the DEI bureaucracy in all public universities.

No, as it would require repeal of a number of equality laws.

Once you have these laws there needs to be a monitoring bureau to produce figures to demonstrate that an organisation is meeting the law.

Change the name if it offends you, but someone in HR needs to take the responsibility on.

Ours is very good at organising public health campaigns to engage underserved communities, which often have particular health needs.
    Eventually, they will be repealed. It will start in America; as ever, we shall lag 5 years behind
    Leon launches campaign for bigotry and discrimination.

BRACE
    The sad thing is that, like H&S, real equality work is incredibly valuable.

The people who use it as performative dance to build an empire of bullshit, should be blindfolded, and left in a building full of open elevator shafts, exposed wiring and angry leopards.

Without HiViz
    As Foxy says, any competent HR dept and overall management have to monitor things to check they're not breaching the laws. The logical implication is that anyone demanding the abolition of equality work is necessarily demanding the abolition of the discrimination legislation. Whether they realise it or not is another question. .
    It works the other way round as well. Discrimination legislation leads inexorably to an ever-expanding bureaucracy to ensure the correct level of diversity is maintained. It's not the case that this is a temporary measure until society has progressed to the point that it is no longer needed.
    That's a libertarian argument for closing down the police force, though.
    Yes why have any laws, they're too expensive to enforce.
    You don't believe that an inclusive society can be self-sustaining?
    Most people are nice and inclusive just like most people aren't murderers or rapists. Laws exist to protect people from other people's bad behaviour, even if such behaviour isn't widespread. Don't you think people deserve to be protected from discrimination?
    If eliminating discrimination is the objective then you can't elevate "diversity, equity, and inclusion" because there is an inherent conflcit between choosing purely on merit and achieving a defined level of representation.
    Yes, it's not rocket science, just hire the best well educated, middle class white man for the job.
    There’s a special noise when your mind hits the glass ceiling of your maximum IQ, a sort of dull crunch perceptible only to those with the right sensory equipment
    Possibly. But drowned out in this particular case by the sound of your (self) fabled 'sense of humour' as it wooshes out of the door.

You're very comfortable in your Speccy mindset, aren't you? For all the physical travels you rarely venture far from it.
  • Options
    isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I'm struggling to see the problem with Creasey's comment. It is hard for parents of young children to balance work and family commitments. It gets harder at this time of year when work schedules events outside of normal working hours. Because women still do more than their fair share of childcare duties, and because these after hours events matter, they do face a penalty in the workplace. All seems quite self evident and worth remarking upon.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    @DavidMills73

'This is passionate...this is tetchy. See the difference?'

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited December 2023

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I'm struggling to see the problem with Creasey's comment. It is hard for parents of young children to balance work and family commitments. It gets harder at this time of year when work schedules events outside of normal working hours. Because women still do more than their fair share of childcare duties, and because these after hours events matter, they do face a penalty in the workplace. All seems quite self evident and worth remarking upon.
    Of course you agree with her, I didn’t have to,read past who was replying to know

The Motherhood Penalty - missing out on Christmas drinks because you have to spend a couple of your waking hours with the kids; those couples struggling to conceive don’t know how lucky they are
  • Options
    Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

My advice to people who hate office Christmas parties is to man up (or woman up) because it's just one day; make an excuse to leave early; and next year get on the organising committee and change it to *free* plant-based turkey pizza *in office hours*.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

This was her reply to a man who good-naturedly replied that he was looking after the children while his wife was at a Christmas party:

https://x.com/stellacreasy/status/1735039408561091026

Do you want a medal for looking after them in this context? It’s not a competition but a reflection of a working environment built on idea of one breadwinner …
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

She's a rich, privileged upper middle class woman. From her Wiki

Creasy was born on 5 April 1977 in Sutton Coldfield,[n 1][2] and is the daughter of Corinna Frances Avril (née Martin) and Philip Charles Creasy; her father is a trained opera singer and her mother a headteacher of a special needs school.[2][3] Her elder brother, Matthew Henry Creasy (born 1974), is an academic.[4] Creasy's mother described her own parents as "very aristocratic" and herself as "enormously privileged", which contributed to her decision to join the Labour Party.[2]

She can easily afford child care. She can shove her whining up her "aristocratic" XXXXXX
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@NatashaC
    No10 confirm that they won't be appointing a dedicated minister for disabled people.

The brief will be handed to someone within the department already, on top of their existing responsibilities.

Comes after last week they appointed two migration ministers.

No10 deny it is a downgrade.

It's that political tin ear again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Me too - but neither of us are politicians.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Oklahoma @GovStitt has signed an executive order abolishing the DEI bureaucracy in all public universities.

Once you have these laws there needs to be a monitoring bureau to produce figures to demonstrate that an organisation is meeting the law.

Change the name if it offends you, but someone in HR needs to take the responsibility on.

Ours is very good at organising public health campaigns to engage underserved communities, which often have particular health needs.
    Eventually, they will be repealed. It will start in America; as ever, we shall lag 5 years behind

BRACE

The people who use it as performative dance to build an empire of bullshit, should be blindfolded, and left in a building full of open elevator shafts, exposed wiring and angry leopards.

Without HiViz
    As Foxy says, any competent HR dept and overall management have to monitor things to check they're not breaching the laws. The logical implication is that anyone demanding the abolition of equality work is necessarily demanding the abolition of the discrimination legislation. Whether they realise it or not is another question. .
    It works the other way round as well. Discrimination legislation leads inexorably to an ever-expanding bureaucracy to ensure the correct level of diversity is maintained. It's not the case that this is a temporary measure until society has progressed to the point that it is no longer needed.
    Most people are nice and inclusive just like most people aren't murderers or rapists. Laws exist to protect people from other people's bad behaviour, even if such behaviour isn't widespread. Don't you think people deserve to be protected from discrimination?
    If eliminating discrimination is the objective then you can't elevate "diversity, equity, and inclusion" because there is an inherent conflcit between choosing purely on merit and achieving a defined level of representation.
    Yes, it's not rocket science, just hire the best well educated, middle class white man for the job.
    There’s a special noise when your mind hits the glass ceiling of your maximum IQ, a sort of dull crunch perceptible only to those with the right sensory equipment
    Possibly. But drowned out in this particular case by the sound of your (self) fabled 'sense of humour' as it wooshes out of the door.

You're very comfortable in your Speccy mindset, aren't you? For all the physical travels you rarely venture far from it.
    For me to endure a sense of humour failure, in response to one of your posts, you'd need to say something humorous, for the first time in recorded history. Herein lies the problem with your otherwise interesting thesis
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    Taz said:

Labour loses key councillor in London in defection to the Greens over failures

"She said her confidence faded further when she lobbied her local chapter to speak out against the conflict in Sudan and said no one replied to her request. The “final straw”, cllr Adam said, came two months ago when she was asked to sign what she said was a statement calling on councillors to highlight the October 7 attack on Israelis by Hamas when asked about the conflict in Gaza. She also expressed concern about the party not calling for a ceasefire."

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/west-london-councillor-quits-labour-28273594

SKS please explain ?

Councillor joins Green Party over issues that have bugger all to do with environmentalism.

A proper Green Party would tell them to bugger off.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    A
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

BRACE

Without HiViz
    That is also best practice (or, at least, current practice) in rocket science, I believe :wink:
    Best not to dwell on the hiring practices at the start of the US rocket programme...
    Good, solid diversity hiring, I'd say. Recent immigrants, with political views under-represented in American - indeed, decent - society :smiley:
    When SpaceX were starting out, they faced some rather aggressive behaviour in certain NASA centres. Apparently some middle aged Southern white guys had a problem with SpaceX employees being younger and more diverse.
  • Options

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

This was her reply to a man who good-naturedly replied that he was looking after the children while his wife was at a Christmas party:

https://x.com/stellacreasy/status/1735039408561091026

Do you want a medal for looking after them in this context? It’s not a competition but a reflection of a working environment built on idea of one breadwinner …
    Charming

What business is it of children to expect their parents to look after them anyway?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

My advice to people who hate office Christmas parties is to man up (or woman up) because it's just one day; make an excuse to leave early; and next year get on the organising committee and change it to *free* plant-based turkey pizza *in office hours*.
    Our Christmas bash coincided with a rail strike. I wasn't going to attend anyway, but it gave me a valid excuse.

We're having two sessions of lunchtime food followed by after work drinks, just for our team. Much more convivial.
  • Options

Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Duly noted :smile:

They're mostly fine (I wouldn't go further than that!) to be fair, but this year's includes both parties of an acrimonious break-up, together with the cheerleaders and groupies on each side and the rumoured 'other man' (well, he's definitely the new man now, on one side, but the chronology of that with regard to the break up is unclear).

On second thoughts, with sufficient popcorn it could be one of the most interesting Christmas parties in years...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,301

Taz said:

Selebian said:

Pagan2 said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Just had to go to the post office to collect a card.

The card had a counterfeit stamp on it because the person who sent it bought them from Amazon

Hefty claim against Amazon to be made?
    • Cost of postage recovery fee
    • Cost of fake stamps
    • Cost of time to re-tender procurement for replacement stamps
    • Responsible desposal costs for rest of fake stamps
    • Replacement cards for all items sent using counterfeit stamps (as some recipients may not collect)
    • Damage to relationship with recipients due to undelivered/late cards
    • Time dealing with Royal Mail and pursuing the claim against Amazon
    • Damage to your and sender's reputation for being associated with counterfeit goods
    • Legal fees related to all the above
    Get to four figures at least pretty quickly, I should think? :wink:
    Needs an inquiry. Six Four figures will be a rounding error then.
    Actually, my estimate was far too small anyway. 'Desposal' is much more expensive than disposal, requiring as it does the disposal to be carried out by a fully qualified despot. :blush:
    Worth noting that the stamps may not actually be fake at all as well as the post office seems to be having some issues and declaring stamps as fake when evidence suggests its their fake detection at fault

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/nov/11/royal-mail-stamp-swap-customers-were-sent-warnings
    "[Royal Mail] told Guardian Money that customers must produce receipts and the name and address of the retailer to prove that their confiscated stamps were bought legitimately."

Sure, everyone keeps receipts for a book of stamps, don't they? 🤦‍♂️
    The old budget airlines ploy of making it so hard to claim people don't bother.

Wankers
    Rip-off Britain is as bad as it was prior to 1997. Had to go through drop off at Gatwick to get to the Sofitel. Paid for the Sofitel car park then got a ticket from NCP for overstaying drop off. If I paid immediately the £100 penalty dropped to £15. Also got done over in a similar fashion in Heathrow. £6 for less than 5 minutes in drop off. NCP must think I'm made of money.
    Private Parking, private parking excess charges, are an absolute scam. One good thing the coalition did was getting rid of clamping on private land when they brought in POFA.

Obscure rules which charges for minor breaches and swingeing penalties when there is no real loss to them. It is outrageous.

Some places introduce a system where you have to log your reg when you get there. Forget to do it, even if you had been there and spent your money there, you still get charged.

We dropped the inlaws off for a flight in Newcastle. It is £4 just to go in and drop someone off and leave within 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Creasy was born on 5 April 1977 in Sutton Coldfield,[n 1][2] and is the daughter of Corinna Frances Avril (née Martin) and Philip Charles Creasy; her father is a trained opera singer and her mother a headteacher of a special needs school.[2][3] Her elder brother, Matthew Henry Creasy (born 1974), is an academic.[4] Creasy's mother described her own parents as "very aristocratic" and herself as "enormously privileged", which contributed to her decision to join the Labour Party.[2]

She can easily afford child care. She can shove her whining up her "aristocratic" XXXXXX
    You're quite into identity politics for a woke-finder.
  • Options

Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Our Christmas bash coincided with a rail strike. I wasn't going to attend anyway, but it gave me a valid excuse.

We're having two sessions of lunchtime food followed by after work drinks, just for our team. Much more convivial.
    Same here, and I had the Go North East bus strike chucked in too.

Most people, according to polling and I am one, would rather have a bit of extra cash anyway.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Of course you agree with her, I didn’t have to,read past who was replying to know

The Motherhood Penalty - missing out on Christmas drinks because you have to spend a couple of your waking hours with the kids; those couples struggling to conceive don’t know how lucky they are
    And they say nurses have it tough.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Selebian said:

Pagan2 said:

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Just had to go to the post office to collect a card.

The card had a counterfeit stamp on it because the person who sent it bought them from Amazon

Hefty claim against Amazon to be made?
    • Cost of postage recovery fee
    • Cost of fake stamps
    • Cost of time to re-tender procurement for replacement stamps
    • Responsible desposal costs for rest of fake stamps
    • Replacement cards for all items sent using counterfeit stamps (as some recipients may not collect)
    • Damage to relationship with recipients due to undelivered/late cards
    • Time dealing with Royal Mail and pursuing the claim against Amazon
    • Damage to your and sender's reputation for being associated with counterfeit goods
    • Legal fees related to all the above
    Get to four figures at least pretty quickly, I should think? :wink:
    Needs an inquiry. Six Four figures will be a rounding error then.
    Actually, my estimate was far too small anyway. 'Desposal' is much more expensive than disposal, requiring as it does the disposal to be carried out by a fully qualified despot. :blush:
    Worth noting that the stamps may not actually be fake at all as well as the post office seems to be having some issues and declaring stamps as fake when evidence suggests its their fake detection at fault

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/nov/11/royal-mail-stamp-swap-customers-were-sent-warnings
    "[Royal Mail] told Guardian Money that customers must produce receipts and the name and address of the retailer to prove that their confiscated stamps were bought legitimately."

Sure, everyone keeps receipts for a book of stamps, don't they? 🤦‍♂️
    The old budget airlines ploy of making it so hard to claim people don't bother.

Wankers
    Rip-off Britain is as bad as it was prior to 1997. Had to go through drop off at Gatwick to get to the Sofitel. Paid for the Sofitel car park then got a ticket from NCP for overstaying drop off. If I paid immediately the £100 penalty dropped to £15. Also got done over in a similar fashion in Heathrow. £6 for less than 5 minutes in drop off. NCP must think I'm made of money.
    Private Parking, private parking excess charges, are an absolute scam. One good thing the coalition did was getting rid of clamping on private land when they brought in POFA.

Obscure rules which charges for minor breaches and swingeing penalties when there is no real loss to them. It is outrageous.

Some places introduce a system where you have to log your reg when you get there. Forget to do it, even if you had been there and spent your money there, you still get charged.

We dropped the inlaws off for a flight in Newcastle. It is £4 just to go in and drop someone off and leave within 10 minutes.
    Same happened to me recently. Apparently I parked on some surveilled land in the Wye Valley in September. Never even noticed any signs - and I am alert to these things, having been stung before

A parking fine arrived by post and got missed, by the time I found the reminder this week, the original £60 had escalated to £170 and was about to go to the bailiffs. I had no choice but to pay

£170! For parking in some grassy area in rural England with no obvious parking charges (which I would have gladly paid if I had noticed them)

GRRRR
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

It's more about class politics.

She wants society to be organsied so that she can have it all without any trade-offs, but it's clearly impossible for everyone to have it all, so in effect she's demanding privileges for herself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

BRACE

Without HiViz

For me to endure a sense of humour failure, in response to one of your posts, you'd need to say something humorous, for the first time in recorded history. Herein lies the problem with your otherwise interesting thesis
    Hmm, it could be I never post anything remotely funny. Or it could be you sometimes struggle to 'get' things if they're off your piste. The latter seems fav. Course I would say that, wouldn't I.

Still, no probs, there's much to be said for staying in lane. So I'll do my little jokes like that last one, and you carry on with your 'lol' stuff on Nicola Sturgeon's moustache or how hard it is these days to get it right when referring to black people.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

BRACE

Without HiViz

Hmm, it could be I never post anything remotely funny. Or it could be you sometimes struggle to 'get' things if they're off your piste. The latter seems fav. Course I would say that, wouldn't I.

Still, no probs, there's much to be said for staying in lane. So I'll do my little jokes like that last one, and you carry on with your 'lol' stuff on Nicola Sturgeon's moustache or how hard it is these days to get it right when referring to black people.
    See, that's you trying to do humour again, isn't it?

Best I shuffle away in awkward silence
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912

Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I got out of mine by coughing at the wrong time.

Though I'm pretty sure I'd have preferred a few hours of a Christmas do to being laid out on a bed with sciatica.

Typing uʍop ǝpᴉsdn is not that easy.

I don't know what exactly Stella is complaining about. There's lots of people who have restricted lifestyles and most of those aren't restricted by their own choices.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I realise all your comments are about you, but it might just be possible she was trying to make a general point ?

After all, if we base all this stuff solely on our own experience, you probably ought not to be commenting on this anyway.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I realise all your comments are about you, but it might just be possible she was trying to make a general point ?

After all, if we base all this stuff solely on our own experience, you probably ought not to be commenting on this anyway.
    Try again, with syntax and a point? Thanks
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Try again, with syntax and a point? Thanks
    Engage that massive brain of yours.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

BRACE

Without HiViz

See, that's you trying to do humour again, isn't it?

Best I shuffle away in awkward silence
    That was actually me trying to get you to do a joke. One of your really funny ones. Never mind. I suppose it has to be spontaneous. Bit like singing. You can be a great singer but if somebody collars you in public and says, "c'mon, give us a tune then," you bridle and refuse. Least I do.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

She wants society to be organsied so that she can have it all without any trade-offs, but it's clearly impossible for everyone to have it all, so in effect she's demanding privileges for herself.
    She's saying that there are ways of ordering things around work that could make things easier to balance childcare and work responsibilities. You could call that her requesting privileges or you could call it a reasonable suggestion for making things easier for a whole load of people.
    I do find it weird that people on the right complain about immigration and falling birth rates but also seem to be against improving work-life balance, which would help on both fronts. So much easier just to tell women to shut up I suppose.
  • Options

Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I find you don’t even need to make an excuse. Wait until the food is served and consumed, once that’s over with you can just quietly vanish. Anyone else who is looking for an early exit will probably also be leaving around that time, and anyone who is staying out to the bitter end isn’t going to remember when you left anyway.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I want to be polite and respond to this but I can't really understand what point you're trying to make here, sorry.
  • Options

Selebian said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I once took the whole of December off (and went nowhere, just sat around at home) rather than face any of it. Then again other times I've thrown myself into it and been the life and soul, even dressing up as Santa. It really does depend on your mood.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

isam said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

I want to be polite and respond to this but I can't really understand what point you're trying to make here, sorry.
    Condescension accepted
  • Options
    7C and grey

I do believe this is my least favourite weather on earth. I would prefer if it was -15C and grey, I would definitely prefer if it is was -15C and sunny, with lying snow. At least that would be life-threatening and exciting (and pretty with the snow)

7C and grey is just..... nothing. It is the weather of nullity. It is a forecast from the Meh Office. Gawd elp us all
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

She's saying that there are ways of ordering things around work that could make things easier to balance childcare and work responsibilities. You could call that her requesting privileges or you could call it a reasonable suggestion for making things easier for a whole load of people.
    I do find it weird that people on the right complain about immigration and falling birth rates but also seem to be against improving work-life balance, which would help on both fronts. So much easier just to tell women to shut up I suppose.
    Aren’t office parties planned well in advance? I’d have thought it would have been easy to arrange a childminder for one evening with sufficient notice.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    edited December 2023
    I can't quite believe todays rant is about being performatively upset on behalf of kids whose politician mum fancies a party they can't attend. Whats in store for tomorrows Old Man Moaning Advent Calendar?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Aren’t office parties planned well in advance? I’d have thought it would have been easy to arrange a childminder for one evening with sufficient notice.
    When you’ve got young children, you just can’t go out as much as you could when you had none.

My partner & I have two preschool age children and as a result have been out together about twice in three years! I used to like going and getting drunk sometimes, but never drink enough to get a hangover now, because I’ve got two young Kids. My girlfriend went out last week for a drink with friends for the first time since before the pandemic! Because we’ve got young kids.

It’s not societies fault, it’s the result of decisions we made knowing the consequences, and the good outweighs the bad.

And here is someone on big money, who doesn’t even look after the kids during the day, moaning about missing a Christmas jolly because she’s got to pick her children up??? If I even thought it I’d tell myself off
  • Options

I can't quite believe todays rant is about being performatively upset on behalf of kids whose politician mum fancies a party they can't attend. Whats in store for tomorrows Old Man Moaning Advent Calendar?

We're all BORED

Do feel free to offer up some exciting controversy. PLEASE
  • Options

It wasn't even a specific party, unless she's accusing the Labour party of arranging things in a way that discriminates agianst her.

She was just upset to see other people having a good time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We're all BORED

A general election will be along soon to provide us all with some excitement 😈
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

We all love a working class hero like Leon.

Creasy is already on social services' radar. A voter from Leicester who disliked her woke politics contacted Essex social services and they launched a safeguarding inquiry on behalf of her children. They found nothing because the claim was fictional, and the police did not prosecute his malicious, fictional complaint because the argument was "if he suspected an offence, he was entitled to make an allegation up" or somesuch.

Do you live in Leicester?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    Leon said:

We're all BORED

BLACK FRIDAY? Why do the French not translate it? They translate nearly everything. I was hardly aware of it until I saw it in EVERY clothes shop in Nice,
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

We're all BORED

BLACK FRIDAY? Why do the French not translate it? They translate nearly everything. I was hardly aware of it until I saw it in EVERY clothes shop in Nice,
    Don't start him off, will be moaning about the lack of a White Friday not to mention how mean it is to Tuesdays. All days are equal.
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

When you’ve got young children, you just can’t go out as much as you could when you had none.

My partner & I have two preschool age children and as a result have been out together about twice in three years! I used to like going and getting drunk sometimes, but never drink enough to get a hangover now, because I’ve got two young Kids. My girlfriend went out last week for a drink with friends for the first time since before the pandemic! Because we’ve got young kids.

It’s not societies fault, it’s the result of decisions we made knowing the consequences, and the good outweighs the bad.

And here is someone on big money, who doesn’t even look after the kids during the day, moaning about missing a Christmas jolly because she’s got to pick her children up??? If I even thought it I’d tell myself off
    Are you dumbfounded by the gall of it? Does it reach that bar?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584
    Stella Creasy moaning about not being able to attend a Christmas party just proves that PB Tories were right all along.

Labour are unfit to govern.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912

As the Old Man Moaning Advent Calendar will tomorrow bring PB rants about PB rants about something not very important, it looks like you have opend tomorrow's door one day too early.
  • Options
    OT - Note that in New Hampshire, Gov. Chris Sununu has endorsed Nikki Haley for POTUS in the upcoming (January 8, 2024) NH Republican presidential Primary.

Personally think this endorsement has some heft with Granite State voters, more so than endorsement by Iowa Gov of Ron DeSantis in the upcoming (January 15, 2024) Iowa Republican precinct caucuses.

Perhaps worth noting that, back in 1988, it was endorsement and active support of then-Gov. John Sununu, the current gov's father, of George Bush (nobody called him "George Herbert Walker Bush" back then) that saved Bush the Elder's campaign after he lost the Iowa precinct caucus vote to Bob Dole.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Also note that New Hampshire Democrats led by former Gov. and current US Senator Jeanne Shaheen have just launched their campaign of support for Joe Biden as a WRITE IN candidate for POTUS in the Democratic presidential primary.

Because due to DNC rule change, advocated by Biden, New Hampshire was replaced (officially anyway) as initial primary of the 2024 nomination season by South Carolina. A decision greeted with virtually universal condemnation, dismay, etc., etc. by New Hampshireites of all political persuasion besides anarchist.

Why? Because the New Hampshire presidential primary is not just a beloved state institution and one of the few things the state is known for (beside it's "Live Free or Die" license plate motto) but also because the NH Primary is an important quadrennial cottage industry.

So much so, that it's "First in the Nation" status is enshrined in state law - a statute that only the most foolhardy of NH secretaries of state would dare to violate.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Well said. It is not the biggest issue in history, but the sense of whiny entitlement oozes from her tweet

A trillion parents go through and have gone through what she is going through - and without her money and privilege, and they don't mewl like her

It is a middle class feminist thing. They are so used to society bending to their every complaint about UNFAIRNESS, they just can't stop complaining about how UNFAIR it all is, even when it isn't
  • Options
    Govt likely to ban gas and hydrogen enabled boilers in new builds from 2025.

Listen to the eco loons and you’d think this govt does nothing on climate change. Mind you to the fanatics nothing will ever be enough.

Hope the capacity is there to make the heat pumps.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/13/uk-government-backs-plan-ban-gas-hydrogen-ready-boilers-newbuilds-2025
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

Roger said:

Leon said:

We're all BORED

Don't start him off, will be moaning about the lack of a White Friday not to mention how mean it is to Tuesdays. All days are equal.
    Why isn’t there a Trans Woke Illegal Alien AI Friday?
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Don't worry - I've got a sh1te social life too, and I don't even have kids.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Some may be, ours rarely are. Summer and winter party usually announced a month out.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912
    edited December 2023

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Creasy is already on social services' radar. A voter from Leicester who disliked her woke politics contacted Essex social services and they launched a safeguarding inquiry on behalf of her children. They found nothing because the claim was fictional, and the police did not prosecute his malicious, fictional complaint because the argument was "if he suspected an offence, he was entitled to make an allegation up" or somesuch.

Whilst I said I didn't know what she was complaining about earlier, this business is a bit of a disgrace.

I now take 'known to social services' with the massive pinch of salt it requires.

Apparently, even though the claim was fictional the record cannot be removed.

We had a care agency in helping with my mother in law. They couldn't cope with her moods (dementia) and raised a completely spurious safeguarding concern, probably so they could then drop the contract without losing their supposed 'dementia friendly' status for council contracts.

We thus had the social services Stasi round, who interviewed father in law and Mrs Flatlander under the cover of a visit for another purpose. They declined to look at the patient or justify their accusations and we are now 'known to social services'.

Furious doesn't cover it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

No, it’s par for the course from whiny, rich lefties
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Well said. It is not the biggest issue in history, but the sense of whiny entitlement oozes from her tweet

A trillion parents go through and have gone through what she is going through - and without her money and privilege, and they don't mewl like her

It is a middle class feminist thing. They are so used to society bending to their every complaint about UNFAIRNESS, they just can't stop complaining about how UNFAIR it all is, even when it isn't
    Almost all parents with young kids *do* complain about it most of the time, just not usually on twitter.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    edited December 2023
    Another Section 114 in the offing

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/14/cheshire-east-council-says-it-faces-bankruptcy-due-to-hs2-link-cancellation

"Cheshire East council says it faces bankruptcy due to HS2 link cancellation
    Local authority covering some of richest areas in England says it spent £11m preparing for rail line

A council in one of the wealthiest parts of the UK has warned it faces potential bankruptcy due to the “devastating” impact of cancelling the northern leg of HS2.

Leaders of Cheshire East council in north-west England said the authority had spent £11m preparing for the high-speed rail link, and this would now have to be written off. Most of this money – £8.6m – had been funded by borrowing and would now have to be funded from the council’s already stretched revenue budget.

As a result, the council, which is a unitary authority covering Crewe and Macclesfield, could be forced to trigger a section 114 notice, in effect declaring bankruptcy, according to a report by council officers.
    "
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    CatMan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/14/cheshire-east-council-says-it-faces-bankruptcy-due-to-hs2-link-cancellation

Local authority covering some of richest areas in England says it spent £11m preparing for rail line

Josh Halliday North of England correspondent
    Thu 14 Dec 2023 13.35 GMT
    A council in one of the wealthiest parts of the UK has warned it faces potential bankruptcy due to the “devastating” impact of cancelling the northern leg of HS2.

Leaders of Cheshire East council in north-west England said the authority had spent £11m preparing for the high-speed rail link, and this would now have to be written off. Most of this money – £8.6m – had been funded by borrowing and would now have to be funded from the council’s already stretched revenue budget.

As a result, the council, which is a unitary authority covering Crewe and Macclesfield, could be forced to trigger a section 114 notice, in effect declaring bankruptcy, according to a report by council officers.
    "

It would be entirely typical of Sunak if his bungled and incoherent attempt to get rid of HS2 ended up costing more than building the railway itself would have done.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

You missed out two n's in the middle of Leon.

• Options

Roger said:

Leon said:

We're all BORED

Why isn’t there a Trans Woke Illegal Alien AI Friday?
    Trans Woke AI Thursday makes a better acronym!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Almost all parents with young kids *do* complain about it most of the time, just not usually on twitter.
    Yes… and if they put it on social media they’d get slaughtered like she is too
  • Options
    Also, of course, the government's favoured solution of unitarising bankrupt authorities won't work with Cheshire East...
  • Options
    CatMan said:

"

£100k Council tax surcharge for Premier League players only should sort it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Moanin' mewling wimmin. They've got all this Equality now and still they're as sour as lemons.

That 'old school feminism' of yours is something to behold.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Listen to the eco loons and you’d think this govt does nothing on climate change. Mind you to the fanatics nothing will ever be enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/13/uk-government-backs-plan-ban-gas-hydrogen-ready-boilers-newbuilds-2025

Makes sense. The (valid) criticisms are all around costs of retrofit and the inability, in a poorly insulated home, to run anywhere near peak efficiency (so they become costlier than gas in energy use). In a new build none of that applies.

There's no way I'd install a gas boiler in a new build now - at 300%-400% efficiency the maths makes sense even at current energy prices and before considering an capability to offset with solar etc.

As for capacity, the big boiler makers are going to have a need to plug the gap in their boiler sales - they're already making heat pumps and will simply ramp that up, plus there are many new suppliers.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Birds, eh?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Steven Yaxley-Leon?

Anti-woking class hero.

Or

John Leon; " ... and you're still ******* peasants as far as I can see".

Probably the latter.
  • Options
    Gary Lineker has never given the Tories a six-figure donation, set up an £800,000 loan for Boris Johnson or stood as a Conservative council candidate. But the people who did are lecturing him on the need for impartiality at the BBC.
    https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1734992127497490873
  • Options

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Don't worry - I've got a sh1te social life too, and I don't even have kids.
    The Norfolk Penalty?
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Steven Yaxley-Leon?

Anti-woking class hero.

Or

John Leon; " ... and you're still ******* peasants as far as I can see".

Probably the latter.
    I was wondering whether Aaron Lennon was either playing really well or forcing the government to make another u-turn.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

No, it’s par for the course from whiny, rich lefties
    To be both wealthy and left wing is to win life's lottery and so any irritations felt by such people should be kept to themselves - would this be a fair summary of your feelings here?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Moanin' mewling wimmin. They've got all this Equality now and still they're as sour as lemons.

Whatevs. I've now stopped caring coz I have a title for my latest flint. These are not easy to find
  • Options

Gary Lineker has never given the Tories a six-figure donation, set up an £800,000 loan for Boris Johnson or stood as a Conservative council candidate. But the people who did are lecturing him on the need for impartiality at the BBC.

Hasn't Lineker gone yet? How dare he accuse Grant Shapps of using multiple names.
  • Options

Hasn't Lineker gone yet? How dare he accuse Grant Shapps of using multiple names.
    Grant Shapps is great for gamblers though. All Green.
  • Options

Lineker should stay scrupulously above the fray like the late Queen did. You never heard her, our monarch for over 70 years, opining on political matters yet this two bit football presenter is forever doing so. Put a sock in it Gaz!
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Whatevs. I've now stopped caring coz I have a title for my latest flint. These are not easy to find
    Great news. If it's "Moaning Mewling Women" I want a credit and royalties.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Its all gone to the dogs since he entered cabinet.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

It's "The Earth Mother", isn't it... :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Now you're just taking the Michael
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

It’s a follow up biography “Millions of women are waiting to moan and mewl at you”.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Whilst I said I didn't know what she was complaining about earlier, this business is a bit of a disgrace.

I now take 'known to social services' with the massive pinch of salt it requires.

We had a care agency in helping with my mother in law. They couldn't cope with her moods (dementia) and raised a completely spurious safeguarding concern, probably so they could then drop the contract without losing their supposed 'dementia friendly' status for council contracts.

We thus had the social services Stasi round, who interviewed father in law and Mrs Flatlander under the cover of a visit for another purpose. They declined to look at the patient or justify their accusations and we are now 'known to social services'.

Utter fnckers.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

Birds, eh?
    Yep. Women

Can't live with 'em.... pass the beer nuts
  • Options
    Guardian pick of Xmas movies.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/dec/14/the-25-best-christmas-films-ranked

Couple of them I might actually hunt out.
    Die Hard is only at 15.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

You're in Donny, I believe? We are doing the Alzheimer's 'journey' with my mum up there. That sounds like an agency to avoid like the plague.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The peroration of Kenneth Clarke’s Civilisation is quite something

“All living things are our brothers and sisters”. Amen

This simple speech is actually pretty good: as an entire philosophy of life

https://x.com/durhamwasp/status/1679272195627917313?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

An uplifting thought for the day. Thanks.
    I find myself increasingly Green - in the old fashioned sense - as I age. The damage we do to nature, our mother planet, distresses me intensely. Two weeks ago I was on a near-wilderness Cambodian island - probably the most beautiful beach was destroyed by plastic litter

Ugh

And the cruelty we inflict on animals: eeesh. They are our brothers and sisters, born at the same moment of Creation. I now eschew red meat unless it can be absolutely and ethically sourced, otherwise I eat sustainable fish, game, veg

On the other hand I’m all up for a hard right populist government ready to deport everyone to Burundi. So it’s swings and roundabouts
    You have no idea how ethical the grub you're eating is. That dog you were chowing down on a couple of weeks ago, how ethically sourced was that poor fucker?
  • Options

CatMan said:

"

£100k Council tax surcharge for Premier League players only should sort it.
    Reading the story, it is one of those where it feels like a lot has been left out. What isn't clear is:

1) Why a local council had to spend money on a national transport project?
    2) Why the money was spent years in advance of the railway being built?
  • Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The Motherhood Penalty!

It’s a follow up biography “Millions of women are waiting to moan and mewl at you”.
    I don't think I'd buy that. It sounds rather tawdry.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Guardian pick of Xmas movies.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/dec/14/the-25-best-christmas-films-ranked

Couple of them I might actually hunt out.
    Die Hard is only at 15.

The Silent Partner I have to see, if only for this:
    ...The only ever dramatic theatrical feature film to be scored by Jazz pianist and composer Oscar Peterson who, coincidentally, was a schoolmate of lead actor Christopher Plummer...
  • Options
    https://www.brusselstimes.com/829066/municipalities-ordered-to-strip-palestinian-children-of-belgian-nationality

Belgium's Foreigners' Office has instructed dozens of municipalities to strip children born in Belgium to Palestinian parents of their Belgian nationality, L'Echo reports.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

https://x.com/durhamwasp/status/1679272195627917313?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

I find myself increasingly Green - in the old fashioned sense - as I age. The damage we do to nature, our mother planet, distresses me intensely. Two weeks ago I was on a near-wilderness Cambodian island - probably the most beautiful beach was destroyed by plastic litter

Ugh

And the cruelty we inflict on animals: eeesh. They are our brothers and sisters, born at the same moment of Creation. I now eschew red meat unless it can be absolutely and ethically sourced, otherwise I eat sustainable fish, game, veg

On the other hand I’m all up for a hard right populist government ready to deport everyone to Burundi. So it’s swings and roundabouts
    You have no idea how ethical the grub you're eating is. That dog you were chowing down on a couple of weeks ago, how ethically sourced was that poor fucker?
    I wrote about this earlier today

The dog restaurant I went to is known for going to rural villages outside the capital and either capturing strays or buying pets, so the dog almost certainly had a better life than most industrially farmed animals in the UK

Cambodia doesn't have the dog farm industry of Korea, it is a much more niche taste (and dying out)
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,017
    Taz said:

It’s a cunning plan to reduce the demand for and therefore the price of new houses.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    kinabalu said:

Lineker should stay scrupulously above the fray like the late Queen did. You never heard her, our monarch for over 70 years, opining on political matters yet this two bit football presenter is forever doing so. Put a sock in it Gaz!
    Er, you - or at least many folk - did. HMQEII did opine on Scottish indepedence, at Mr Cameron's behest, as the latter gleefully recorded in his memoirs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    ydoethur said:

Also, of course, the government's favoured solution of unitarising bankrupt authorities won't work with Cheshire East...

Cheshire?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ugh

I wrote about this earlier today

The dog restaurant I went to is known for going to rural villages outside the capital and either capturing strays or buying pets, so the dog almost certainly had a better life than most industrially farmed animals in the UK

Cambodia doesn't have the dog farm industry of Korea, it is a much more niche taste (and dying out)
    Peak PB. Arguing how to eat dogs ethically.

Mind, they are at the higher end of the trophic chain, so ecologicall unsounds for that alone (and, also, concentrating pollutants in themselves, like tuna and whale and so on).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Er, you - or at least many folk - did. HMQEII did opine on Scottish indepedence, at Mr Cameron's behest, as the latter gleefully recorded in his memoirs.
    I ask that people think very VERY carefully before throwing away centuries of tradi ... sorry before voting.
This discussion has been closed.