Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Ashkelon – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,682
    isam said:

Leon said:

NEVER TURN DOWN SEX OR TRAVEL

As a youngster I was far too faithful to girlfriends I knew weren’t ‘the one’, to the point of spending a summer working in Greece, and staying faithful to a girl I split up with the week I got back!

Still haunts me
    I turned down a fair amount of sex in my youth, for various silly reasons

They ALL haunt me. i did make up for it in my later, more ruthless years. But they haunt me, nonetheless
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    isam said:

Out of context, but still a tweet you’d wish you’d not typed a week later

Blunt intended to prosecute the British government for war crimes. What a tit he is.
  • Options
    isam said:

This has the makings of a nice conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,978
    Leon said:

NEVER TURN DOWN SEX OR TRAVEL

You've clearly never been offered sex in Wishaw.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,208
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Are wrong 'uns disproportionately attracted to politics, or does it simply corrupt those who are?

Or a bit of both?

Extroverts tend to be active in lots of areas of life. Do we think politicians were just better at getting away with it in the old days?
    Seem to remember a weekly MP sex scandal in the mid 90s
    Tory scandals are usually sex, Labour scandals usually money
  • Options

isam said:

This has the makings of a nice conspiracy theory.
    Add Russell Brand allegations too
  • Options
    Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in the union bar
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

I’M SORRY. WHAT WAS I THINKING
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Tory MP arrested on rape charge.

Another by election methinks.

And the worst of it is, I clicked the link expecting it to be an east London story from my old patch, but it turns out to be another Tory MP entirely. How many rotten characters do they have?

We need HYUFD to explain why their candidate selection process is so abysmal.

I can do that

The safe seats delivered by our rotten voting system enable the tiny clique of party activists to select people based on whether they are ‘sound’ on whatever their local obsessions are - hard Brexit, anti-HS2, whatever - and ignore entirely the sort of considerations the typical voter would be interested in, such as their integrity or honesty or morality.
    I think safe seats do not help, but cannot be the full explanation, since there's plenty of awful candidates in non safe seats too, and not a problem for only one party too.
    you shouldn't trust anyone who actively wants to be an MP. get people in that don't want to do it.
    I'm going to be contrarian and disagree.

I have this vague sense that we're in a an awful feedback loop where some awful types become MPs, and politics in general puts off sensible, talented people from wanting to be MPs, so only the worst try, and that means more awful types become MPs and politics even more so puts off sensible and so on and so forth.

People should want to be MPs, for the right reasons naturally. Such people do exist, and having it as an ambition could be arrogant, but would not automatically be so if the reasoning is right.

The tricky thing is how to have a system which incentivises those people to try and helps them succeed. Certainly parliament does not reward being analytical, or a good legislator, or co-operation, so those are not the skills that even the good MPs develop. The culture grinds them down.
    Increasingly, the job only seems to attract the financially corrupt or sexual offenders.
    Is there an argument for a term limit on an MP - 10 or 15 years? My local MP, Stephen Timms, will celebrate 30 years as an MP tomorrow - I yield to no one in my admiration for him as a constituency MP but 30 years? How does that provide opportunities for new MPs to get elected?
    Where people are elected and of more limited power (eg MPs not Presidents) I don't see term limits as being necessary or appropriate. If they want to do it and people still want them to, I think that takes precedence.

You are reliant on parties doing more to take action on those who are beyond their effectiveness, but if they cannot they will be punished eventually.
    I've sometimes idly wondered if 'the lords' could be reformed in such a way. "Managed to make it as a plain MP for 15 years? Now eligible to be elected to 'the lords'.". Gives regular MP's a career path outside of 'Cabinet - yes/no' and (somewhat) regulates the numbers in the lords.

I admit - I haven't given it a lot of thought as I have important things to think about like 'where did I leave the scissors?'. But still.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Pulpstar said:

Just been quoted a 35% increase in rent for a 3 bed flat in east London, zone 3

My brother recently stuck a 5 bed HOMO on the market for 290, no takers. Hes got it all rented for a 10% yield on that value now though, which covers his increased mortgage.
    so you're brother is renting out bedrooms at £483 per month?
    Averaged, yep
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Are wrong 'uns disproportionately attracted to politics, or does it simply corrupt those who are?

Or a bit of both?

Extroverts tend to be active in lots of areas of life. Do we think politicians were just better at getting away with it in the old days?
    Possibly. I wonder if a formal HR/disciplinary process hanging over your head, and using it from time to time, is essential to get (some) adults to behave in most organisations- which politicians don't have, and that's one side of the equation.

The other is the power and ego going to their heads so easily, and people fawning over them, combined with alcohol, attention and (quite frankly) far too many backbenchers not having anything meaningful or constructive to do.

It's a toxic mix.
    I wonder if also there's a generational changing of the guard. A shift in what's accepted and what is beyond the pale. And some MPs just don't keep up.

The sort of stuff that did for Bone, for example, would probably have been accepted as how things are when he was a lad. Maybe even when he became an MP in 2005. Bosses abused their minions into shape and the minions were grateful.

No doubt The Youth are wrong in other ways.
    I doubt it would have been considered acceptable, but he must have got away with it.

I think most people like Bone do get away with it, until the point where they think they’re untouchable. Then, they do something too outrageous to cover up. Weinstein is a more extreme example.

When I was much younger and better looking, a Conservative area agent warned me never to be on my own with Peter Morrison (sound advice). But, I’ll bet that similar advice is given in relation to some MP’s today.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/KieranPAndrews/status/1717620663454753009

Great flood of Kew, revisited. An electronic Covid trail has gone missing in Scotland.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,401
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Or a bit of both?

LibDem scandals usually involve penalty points
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,109

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Or a bit of both?

Or s******g on somebody's chest, IIRC.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.
    If they looked like Ann Widdecombe I would not be sitting here, in my Siracusa roof terrace, feeling like someone stabbed me in the lung. Sexual regret - as in: regret at sex you could have had but didn’t - is significantly painful. I am talking pretty-to-beautiful girls in their twenties

My problem was I was good at chatting up girls, or charming then some way, but then I would get nervous or lazy or fastidious or prefer to carry on drinking with friends, and I missed out when it was offered on a plate

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i want to go back and give myself a pretty fierce slap

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

And the worst of it is, I clicked the link expecting it to be an east London story from my old patch, but it turns out to be another Tory MP entirely. How many rotten characters do they have?

I can do that

The safe seats delivered by our rotten voting system enable the tiny clique of party activists to select people based on whether they are ‘sound’ on whatever their local obsessions are - hard Brexit, anti-HS2, whatever - and ignore entirely the sort of considerations the typical voter would be interested in, such as their integrity or honesty or morality.
    I think safe seats do not help, but cannot be the full explanation, since there's plenty of awful candidates in non safe seats too, and not a problem for only one party too.
    you shouldn't trust anyone who actively wants to be an MP. get people in that don't want to do it.

I have this vague sense that we're in a an awful feedback loop where some awful types become MPs, and politics in general puts off sensible, talented people from wanting to be MPs, so only the worst try, and that means more awful types become MPs and politics even more so puts off sensible and so on and so forth.

People should want to be MPs, for the right reasons naturally. Such people do exist, and having it as an ambition could be arrogant, but would not automatically be so if the reasoning is right.

The tricky thing is how to have a system which incentivises those people to try and helps them succeed. Certainly parliament does not reward being analytical, or a good legislator, or co-operation, so those are not the skills that even the good MPs develop. The culture grinds them down.
    Increasingly, the job only seems to attract the financially corrupt or sexual offenders.
    Is there an argument for a term limit on an MP - 10 or 15 years? My local MP, Stephen Timms, will celebrate 30 years as an MP tomorrow - I yield to no one in my admiration for him as a constituency MP but 30 years? How does that provide opportunities for new MPs to get elected?
    Where people are elected and of more limited power (eg MPs not Presidents) I don't see term limits as being necessary or appropriate. If they want to do it and people still want them to, I think that takes precedence.

You are reliant on parties doing more to take action on those who are beyond their effectiveness, but if they cannot they will be punished eventually.
    I've sometimes idly wondered if 'the lords' could be reformed in such a way. "Managed to make it as a plain MP for 15 years? Now eligible to be elected to 'the lords'.". Gives regular MP's a career path outside of 'Cabinet - yes/no' and (somewhat) regulates the numbers in the lords.

I admit - I haven't given it a lot of thought as I have important things to think about like 'where did I leave the scissors?'. But still.
    On the other hand I've given it far too much thought, and my conclusion is the opposite, that MPs should be forced to wait several terms before they get to go the Lords, to end the practice of parties buying off people they want to shift out with Peerages.

Whether there could be an exception for dutiful constituency MPs who have not sought out the greasy pole I'm not sure, though prior to 2015 that would have mean Jeremy Corbyn could have been elevated.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Or a bit of both?

Or Great Danes.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Or a bit of both?

It's good to have range.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I can do that

On the other hand I've given it far too much thought, and my conclusion is the opposite, that MPs should be forced to wait several terms before they get to go the Lords, to end the practice of parties buying off people they want to shift out with Peerages.

Whether there could be an exception for dutiful constituency MPs who have not sought out the greasy pole I'm not sure, though prior to 2015 that would have mean Jeremy Corbyn could have been elevated.
    15 years doesn't count as several terms? Not an automatic bump - but just 'eligible' is what I was imagining.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I can do that

15 years doesn't count as several terms? Not an automatic bump - but just 'eligible' is what I was imagining.
    I mean wait several terms between being an MP or being a Lord. So 8-10 years between the two. The Lords should not be (though may currently resemble) a retirement home. Or a convenient way for parties to oust someone so someone else can get a turn in a safe seat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.
    If they looked like Ann Widdecombe I would not be sitting here, in my Siracusa roof terrace, feeling like someone stabbed me in the lung. Sexual regret - as in: regret at sex you could have had but didn’t - is significantly painful. I am talking pretty-to-beautiful girls in their twenties

My problem was I was good at chatting up girls, or charming then some way, but then I would get nervous or lazy or fastidious or prefer to carry on drinking with friends, and I missed out when it was offered on a plate

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do regret missing the opportunity to have an affair with a very attractive lecturer at uni, out of shyness and embarrassment.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I can do that

The safe seats delivered by our rotten voting system enable the tiny clique of party activists to select people based on whether they are ‘sound’ on whatever their local obsessions are - hard Brexit, anti-HS2, whatever - and ignore entirely the sort of considerations the typical voter would be interested in, such as their integrity or honesty or morality. Or even basic competence.
    As far as I can see none of these allegations came before Crispin Blunt was first selected as a candidate. Whether they are true or not we don't yet know, he has only been arrested not charged or convicted.

Of course the Tory MP for Reigate before Blunt was famous anti Maastricht rebel Sir George Gardiner who
    defected to the Referendum Party before the 1997 general election and stood against Blunt campaigning with a donkey he called Crispin

"Donkey Referendum Partys George Gardiner Campaigning Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock" https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/donkey-referendum-partys-george-gardiner-campaigning-reigate-1124345a
    It's worth noting that, in his statement, he claims to have been a victim of extortion.

Doesn't mean he's innocent, but I thought I'd mention it since no one else seems to have done.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I can do that

The safe seats delivered by our rotten voting system enable the tiny clique of party activists to select people based on whether they are ‘sound’ on whatever their local obsessions are - hard Brexit, anti-HS2, whatever - and ignore entirely the sort of considerations the typical voter would be interested in, such as their integrity or honesty or morality. Or even basic competence.
    As far as I can see none of these allegations came before Crispin Blunt was first selected as a candidate. Whether they are true or not we don't yet know, he has only been arrested not charged or convicted.

Of course the Tory MP for Reigate before Blunt was famous anti Maastricht rebel Sir George Gardiner who
    defected to the Referendum Party before the 1997 general election and stood against Blunt campaigning with a donkey he called Crispin

"Donkey Referendum Partys George Gardiner Campaigning Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock" https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/donkey-referendum-partys-george-gardiner-campaigning-reigate-1124345a
    It's worth noting that, in his statement, he claims to have been a victim of extortion.

Doesn't mean he's innocent, but I thought I'd mention it since no one else seems to have done.
    Certainly we know even a charge and trial doesn't mean someone is guily. We've seen that with MPs as well.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    dr_spyn said:

Great flood of Kew, revisited. An electronic Covid trail has gone missing in Scotland.

There's a surprise (not). Humza's been under pressure for not providing info to the Holyrood Covid inquiry. Not sure what this portends. But there's certainly an air of mystery about the SNP these days.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do regret missing the opportunity to have an affair with a very attractive lecturer at uni, out of shyness and embarrassment.
    It’s a definite pang. A short, sharp, painful twinge. Oddly like the remorse you feel when you belatedly realise you treated someone badly, in retrospect
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

There's a surprise (not). Humza's been under pressure for not providing info to the Holyrood Covid inquiry. Not sure what this portends. But there's certainly an air of mystery about the SNP these days.
    Lord only knows what is happening with that whole accounting stuff, though my assumption is nothing will come from it.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
    Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Or a bit of both?

Or Great Danes.
    Tame compared to Cyril and Clement
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,776
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

(Not with Ann Widdecombe, I hasten to add)
  • Options

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Yes, and it hurts. Not in a major way, not like grief, but a definite needling regret

There should be a word for it. The brief stab of nostalgic regret at sexual opportunities foolishly turned down or mislaid
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,978
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Yes, and it hurts. Not in a major way, not like grief, but a definite needling regret

There should be a word for it. The brief stab of nostalgic regret at sexual opportunities foolishly turned down or mislaid
    We regret the things we didn't do, not the things we did.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

As Dominic Cummings pointed out last week, Singapore has managed to hold an inquiry, publish a report and implement recommendations while Westminster and Holyrood are still at the hearings stage.
    https://www.gov.sg/article/covid-19-white-paper
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Unfortunately not. You can regret both.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437

dr_spyn said:

As Dominic Cummings pointed out last week, Singapore has managed to hold an inquiry, publish a report and implement recommendations while Westminster and Holyrood are still at the hearings stage.
    There is no good outcomes for the respective governments from the inquiries. Not because they botched everything - they didn’t. They made choices, often with limited information and got some things right and some wrong. But the narrative is set. Johnson locked down too late, EOTHO caused a big rise in cases, etc. These tropes are not, in fact as clear cut as commonly held. The latter for instance occurred at the same time as the huge importation of new covid strains and cases from Europe with the resumption of holidays.
    But it won’t matter.

So the inquiries are designed to be slow, and definitely NOT report until after the election, if ever.
  • Options

So the EU is calling for "pauses" instead of a ceasefire. Why? Because a ceasefire would have to involve Hamas agreeing not to fire rockets into Israel, and they know the chances of that happening are nil. So instead they'll be asking for "pauses" from Israel.

It's grotesquely one-sided.

I can't be the only one who's noticed lots of hyperventilating paid-for ads on Facebook recently by the likes of Save The Children, Oxfam and Christian Aid, and their ilk.

I heard far less from them in the aftermath of the Hamas attacks in Israel.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Or a bit of both?

Or the occasional alleged conspiracy to murder, at least from the Liberal side
  • Options
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,336

So the EU is calling for "pauses" instead of a ceasefire. Why? Because a ceasefire would have to involve Hamas agreeing not to fire rockets into Israel, and they know the chances of that happening are nil. So instead they'll be asking for "pauses" from Israel.

What a strange and totally wrong interpretation.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

As someone who has swallowed battery acid, I dispute that.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

It's like the UK Conservatives copied the concept of the "corrupt right-wing aiming for permanent power" bit whilst entirely overlooking the "be efficient" bit.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

dr_spyn said:

I suspect that it was much easier for Singapore.

1) experience of SARS virus in the past
    2) competent government
    3) population who will accept the need for lockdowns

whereas this country had the opposite for all three.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,719

BREAKING: Health Professionals Paint Dinosaur Orange

🦕 A senior physiotherapist and a consultant gastroenterologist have sprayed orange cornstarch over the Titanosaur skeleton in @NHM_London

https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1717545878448189592

So that's what doctors get up to on strike days.

Funnily enough, JSO also tweeted they were missing the usual condemnation from Conservative MPs and had something happened?

Makes a change from doctors so chemically incompetent that they thought road flares and lots of petrol equaled a Jerry B. movie.

Mind you they were looking for 72 virgins in Glasgow…
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437
    spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

2) competent government

So you’ve got 1 and 3 bang on, but go straight to the old tropes for 2. Which is why the inquiries are gonna be slow.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Yes. My friend at school who once ate a packet of cigarettes “for a dare” would concur

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/what-happens-if-you-eat-pack-cigarettes/
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,978
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

To borrow from Frasier: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." "But dad, not everyone makes it into that second category..."

Also: "How do you know if you don't try it?" "I didn't have to get shot in the hip with a .38 to know I wouldn't like it..."
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

2) competent government

So you’ve got 1 and 3 bang on, but go straight to the old tropes for 2. Which is why the inquiries are gonna be slow.
    everything we've heard about how Johnson ran #10 screams incompetent. It was worse than most of late. the last truly competent government was Cameron (probably in the coalition)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Did it leave you feeling energised?
  • Options

Indeed:

Israeli dead 1,410
    Palestinian dead 7,028
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Never done that but one of my recent batches of home brewed ginger beer was pretty rank.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Almost terminal.
  • Options

Man Utd plan astonishing bid to bring David de Gea back on free transfer three months after releasing star
    Andre Onana could miss a huge number of games when he goes to the Africa Cup of Nations

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24524030/man-utd-de-gea-free-transfer-onana/

So it is not just the public sector with a revolving door.

Excellent. Delighted to see the Glazers continue to preside over an absolute circus.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Yes. My friend at school who once ate a packet of cigarettes “for a dare” would concur

Nicotine poisoning is not a pleasant way to die.
  • Options
    Israeli TV lampooning the BBC. How others see us.

https://twitter.com/MarcherMedia1/status/1717591597867512279

I do think the Beeb has incurred reputational damage. Maybe not entirely it's fault. But there we are.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

As that article rightly says, you vomit long before you die. But boy, did he vomit. He was horribly sick for a week
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

I can't be the only one who's noticed lots of hyperventilating paid-for ads on Facebook recently by the likes of Save The Children, Oxfam and Christian Aid, and their ilk.

Ok, I’ll bite:

None of those charities are really set up to rescue hostages, nor are they noted for expressing views on the evils of terrorism, nor taking sides in international disputes. They exist to help people in extreme situations lacking basic needs: water, food, shelter, healthcare.
  • Options

I do think the Beeb has incurred reputational damage. Maybe not entirely it's fault. But there we are.

That’s… terrible TV. Could they not find two actors with remotely British accents?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,542

Ok, I’ll bite:

None of those charities are really set up to rescue hostages, nor are they noted for expressing views on the evils of terrorism, nor taking sides in international disputes. They exist to help people in extreme situations lacking basic needs: water, food, shelter, healthcare.
    Or, just as likely, all those charities are staffed almost entirely by people who at the very least have very much the same worldview as the Guardian and the BBC and in many cases are out and out Corbynists.
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    What on earth is "nitter"?
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s… terrible TV. Could they not find two actors with remotely British accents?
    It's not hilarious is it? But I think the poncey affected accents is the point. How others see us. And hear us.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Ok, I’ll bite:

How about the children who were kidnapped or gunned down? The hostages who were abducted and are now in extreme situations and lack basic needs?

These charities are all of the left-wing love-in wankathon type.

And I haven't seen a single one go out of its way to condemn the Hamas attacks.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,456
    Leon said:

Blimey I thought our comedy was bad.
  • Options

viewcode said:
    I assume one of the many alternatives to X (or twitter) created since Musk bought it
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bibi's Broadcasting Corporation :lol:
  • Options

Leon said:

It's not hilarious is it? But I think the poncey affected accents is the point. How others see us. And hear us.
    London Silly-Nannies on "Family Guy" :lol:
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Ok, I’ll bite:

Or, just as likely, all those charities are staffed almost entirely by people who at the very least have very much the same worldview as the Guardian and the BBC and in many cases are out and out Corbynists.
    Well, possibly both things are true but the important point is area of competence.

There is as much chance of those charities commenting on terrorist acts as there is of the Met Office commenting on the stock market for the simple reason that in both cases the subject is out of the organisation’s remit.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Cookie said:

Ok, I’ll bite:

Well, possibly both things are true but the important point is area of competence.

There is as much chance of those charities commenting on terrorist acts as there is of the Met Office commenting on the stock market for the simple reason that in both cases the subject is out of the organisation’s remit.
    There are hundreds of thousands of displaced people in Israel right now due to continued rocket fire from Gaza, and a massive worldwide operation underway to ensure they have continued access to housing, clothing, food and other essentials. Absolutely no shortage of opportunities for those charities to get involved and do good work.

They just don't want to.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Ok, I’ll bite:

How about the children who were kidnapped or gunned down? The hostages who were abducted and are now in extreme situations and lack basic needs?

You're becoming the gammon's gammon.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Twitter points out that the Rachel Reeves actually has its moments. Her description of the average male British economist:

• Options
    edited October 2023

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

Ok, I’ll bite:

I’ve explained why but it’s clearly beyond your ability to comprehend.

For the avoidance of doubt, and because I don’t want to get into an argument with you about the underlying issue on which I hope we largely agree: I utterly condemn the Hamas and the bastards who fund them; I feel deeply for the plight of those killed, injured or kidnapped by Hamas. I don’t know what the long term solution is but I very much doubt if Israel’s (understandable) actions will achieve much beyond adding to the misery. I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:
    I assume one of the many alternatives to X (or twitter) created since Musk bought it
    Nitter is a way of reading twitter/X without signing up to Twix, after Musk stopped people reading without logging in.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:
    Nitter is a way of reading twitter/X without signing up to Twix, after Musk stopped people reading without logging in.
    cheers. good to know
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,669
    edited October 2023
    deleted
  • Options

It is extremely tedious to see the PB gammonati jump on the BBC/charities/venison eaters are anti semitic bus.

That a fact? Sorry to hear you're bored.

I think many people (perhaps not you) hugely underestimate the immense hurt, anxiety and fear felt by the Jewish community here in the UK and elsewhere.

Lord Wolfson, so far as I know,is not a member of the PB gammonati. But he's more worried about his daughter going into London wearing a Star of David necklace than he is about his son serving in the IDF. And he's not very impressed by the BBC.

https://twitter.com/DXW_KC/status/1717211376874127369
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,227
    carnforth said:

Twitter points out that the Rachel Reeves actually has its moments. Her description of the average male British economist:

It sounds like she’s describing an ex-boyfriend.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

It is extremely tedious to see the PB gammonati jump on the BBC/charities/venison eaters are anti semitic bus.

They’ve seen their beloved Tory party make right horlicks of running the country and they know the party faces a near-extinction event. Alongside which, Brexit has proved an utter failure.

So they’ll jump on any anti-progressive bandwagon that’s going, trying to make a culture war from perceived slights.

It’s a kind of distraction therapy for them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,528
    Glen O'Hara
    @gsoh31
    ·
    2h
    Now 16 Independent MPs in the Commons.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Come on, it’s not like there’s a long and deep history of Jewish comedy.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    edited October 2023

That a fact? Sorry to hear you're bored.

I think many people (perhaps not you) hugely underestimate the immense hurt, anxiety and fear felt by the Jewish community here in the UK and elsewhere.

Lord Wolfson, so far as I know,is not a member of the PB gammonati. But he's more worried about his daughter going into London wearing a Star of David necklace than he is about his son serving in the IDF. And he's not very impressed by the BBC.

https://twitter.com/DXW_KC/status/1717211376874127369
    I live on the UWS of Manhattan, which I think has the highest density of Jews in the world outside Tel Aviv.

I can only imagine the trauma of Jews as they are confronted once more with the exterminatory horror unleashed by Hamas. I have a lot of sympathy with Lord Wolfson’s fears but I think he is grossly overestimating the dangers of anti-semitism in London versus - you know - actual military service in a war zone. I can understand how he’s got there, but I think he’s wrong and I’d even argue he risks trivialising the real dangers.

I don’t know what the gammonati’s excuse is.
  • Options

They’ve seen their beloved Tory party make right horlicks of running the country and they know the party faces a near-extinction event. Alongside which, Brexit has proved an utter failure.

So they’ll jump on any anti-progressive bandwagon that’s going, trying to make a culture war from perceived slights.

It’s a kind of distraction therapy for them.
    It’s pathetic.

It follow hot on the heels of the ULEZ nonsense, which nobody cares about, save we all have to live with the effects of Rishi’s anti-public-transport spasm at Conference.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Come on, it’s not like there’s a long and deep history of Jewish comedy.
    If you haven't watched it (recently) 'Comedians' is worth a watch and ticks a few 'Jewish Comedy' boxes in various senses. There's a fairly LQ version on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmHFDVM4k_4
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Is it Vanilla or PB that's resizing images to 'unimaginably small' mode? I had to use the accessibility tools to read that :-/
  • Options
    edited October 2023

viewcode said:
    THE LONG RANTY VERSION

It used to be that twitter was free to view even if you hadn't joined up. But as part of the General Enshittification of the Internet, now you have to log on to read the tweet/the thread/the user.

This is bad

Whenever this happens to a platform a culture springs up around it to produce a workaround. In this case, the "nitters" have been produced to enable free viewing. The one I am most familiar with is "nitter.net". If you take a tweet and change "twitter.com" to "nitter.net" you can read it as normal.

That is good.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Is that supposed to be Rachel Reeves?
    I’ve seen that before and I don’t think it was Reeves.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    The Palestine Solidarity Campaign, PSC for short. Someone has done some digging.

Scottish PSC leader Mick Napier called the 7 October attacks amazing, inspiring resistance fighters of paragliders.

Manchester PSC called the attack heroic in a written statement.

Co-founder of Palestine Action Richard Barnard called on 8 October for the actions to be repeated over the whole world.

There is a great deal of violent or antisemitic belief behind these pro Palestine movement.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Is it Vanilla or PB that's resizing images to 'unimaginably small' mode? I had to use the accessibility tools to read that :-/
    It's not actually resampling them, just showing them small.

(Vanilla does resample, but only for really big images)
  • Options

carnforth said:

Someone sent to this to me a year or so ago and tried to claim it described me, but only some of the details are correct, like Cafe Oto and the LRB.

Lol.
  • Options

viewcode said:
    THE SHORT VERSION

It's a free twitter viewer

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Claire Davis
    Louise Hopley
    Catherine Meliere
    That girl in Barbados
    “Jenny”

Ann Widdecombe.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We've all done that.

I knew a guy who lived off 'espresso' (1980s - instant coffee with the min.required water) for months before his exams. Saw him in a special unit afterwards trying to chew the walls.
  • Options

What a strange country...

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    5m
    The U.S. has suffered 565 mass shootings in 299 days this year, per the Gun Violence Archive.

Republicans say if we talk about gun reform in the aftermath of a shooting, that's "politicizing" it.

That means we can never discus it. There's almost never a day without a shooting.

More killed by gun violence in the USA this year, even excluding suicides, than by Hamas and Israel combined. It's that old saying about tragedies and statistics.
    https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/
  • Options

carnforth said:

Someone sent to this to me a year or so ago and tried to claim it described me, but only some of the details are correct, like Cafe Oto and the LRB.

Lol.
    It's very tempting to treat it as a kind of middle aged, middle class, middlebrow purity test.

(Are potted plants really an indicator?)

(I was a Chris Morris fan when he was doing weird stuff on the provincialest of BBC Local Radio.)
  • Options
    carnforth said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

It's very annoying - whatever the cause. You'd think they'd be vaguely aware of the a11y implications.
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    At first glance I misread that as Rachel Riley and assumed yet another antisemitic social media row.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Is that supposed to be Rachel Reeves?
    I’ve seen that before and I don’t think it was Reeves.
    I initially sped read that as by Rachel Riley which blew my mind just a little bit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,363
    edited October 2023

viewcode said:
    At first glance I misread that as Rachel Riley and assumed yet another antisemitic social media row.
    Ha, snap-ish!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,877

Pulpstar said:

Just been quoted a 35% increase in rent for a 3 bed flat in east London, zone 3

My brother recently stuck a 5 bed HOMO on the market for 290, no takers. Hes got it all rented for a 10% yield on that value now though, which covers his increased mortgage.
    so you're brother is renting out bedrooms at £483 per month?
    Sounds cheap for london tbh, even in slough a room was costing 120 a week
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

It's very annoying - whatever the cause. You'd think they'd be vaguely aware of the a11y implications.
    They haven't fixed the rotation of camera phone pictures in over a year, so I don't hold out hope.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Lol.
    It's very tempting to treat it as a kind of middle aged, middle class, middlebrow purity test.

(Are potted plants really an indicator?)

(I was a Chris Morris fan when he was doing weird stuff on the provincialest of BBC Local Radio.)
    If you enjoy Chris Morris stuff - the episodes of the Adam Buxton podcast with him are worth a go :

https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts
This discussion has been closed.