Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What is terrorism – a personal definition. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited October 2023 in General
imageWhat is terrorism – a personal definition. – politicalbetting.com

The Oxford Reference dictionary defines terrorism as:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    This is why I love PB. Thank you, Richard.

I think the definition you have here is a legal definition rather than a dictionary definition. The latter should draw on the etymology -- reflecting on the terror aspect. The former can rightly be framed in the way you suggest.
    Of course, the distinction is not unusual: "murder" has a dictionary definition (in common usage it would include many cases of manslaughter) which is broader than the legal definition.

And therein lies a slight difficulty. Language is something that a skilled communicator (such as an orator) can use to provoke/inspire/etc -- and part of that often involves stretching definitions to make an emotional appeal. The word "terrorist" is always going to be subject to some elasticity in its definition in the hands of a politician or other persuader.

There's a second, bigger difficulty though... reflecting on your WWII example, what about cases where the end justifies the means? Your definition would include a Polish resistance fighter who didn't take enough care to protect German civilians. I don't want to catch them in the same definition as al-Qaeda...
  • Options
    But whilst I quibble a little, I agree with the idea. And defining the act not the person -- amen to that!!
  • Options
    ...and your definition wouldn't cover the case of Lee Rigby...

...but the hard cases make bad law (or less-than-perfect legal definitions, perhaps)
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited October 2023
    It is always tricky to define abstract concepts. However, I think the definition proposed is a bit broad:

"any specific targeting of civilians either with the intent of doing them harm ..." - I punch another civilian in a bar when he insults my girlfriend. He is a civilian, I am specifically targeting him and I intend to do him harm. Am I a terrorist, or just a drunken thug? I'd suggest the latter, not the former.

I think any definition of terrorism needs to incorporate the ideas of inducing wider terror (hence the "terror") and it being a political act (hence the "-ism"). An act of violence can, in my view, be an atrocity, if it targets civilians, but not terrorism if isn't aimed at inspiring panic.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    In my mind, terrorism is the commissioning of acts of indescriminate violence towards the general public, in furtherment of a political cause, with the aim of engendering wider fear in the community.
  • Options

...and your definition wouldn't cover the case of Lee Rigby...

...but the hard cases make bad law (or less-than-perfect legal definitions, perhaps)

The killers of Lee Rigby were specifically not charged with terrorist offences, but with old-fashioned murder.

If avoided needing to discuss where to draw the line, enabled a fast trial based on the facts (they were caught literally red-handed), and the judge had the ability to send the perpetrators down for life anyway.
  • Options
    FPT:
    Andy_JS said:

Still no serious analysis by liberals/moderates as to why Trump is so popular in the United States.

One of the very few, was from Michael Moore back in 2016.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vMm5HfxNXY4 - Warning, he uses a few F-words.

Basically, it started with the hollowing out of the middle class and the offshoring of manufacturing with little social safety net, not helped by initiatives aimed at helping “minorities” which completely bypass poor white people, and there’s millions of Americans for whom the dream isn’t working, who can no longer afford housing for a family on a working man’s salary, if they can even find the work in the first place.

Since 2020, things have got even worse for this group, many of whom lost their jobs during the pandemic, see 7m illegal immigrants now depressing unskilled and semi-skilled wages further, an opioid epidemic literally killing people in these communities, and a government which comes across as being happy to spend money in Ukraine and Israel, but not on fixing the problems in their own communities or responding to their own disasters.

There’s some recent polling that suggests black support for Trump is actually increasing (slightly, and from a very low base), as his various legal difficulties resonate with the way that the ‘justice’ system comes after them.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Your regular warning not to ever write down something in a work context, that you wouldn’t want to read on the front page of a national newspaper.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/23/natwest-staff-gloated-over-farage-debanking/

NatWest staff gloated about the closure of Nigel Farage’s bank accounts and suggested they had “single-handedly driven him out of the country”, The Telegraph can reveal.

Workers reacted to news that the former Ukip leader had been debanked by NatWest subsidiary Coutts by saying: “Hope that knocked him down a peg or 2.”

Internal messages handed over to Mr Farage by NatWest also show that staff suggested he had “dodgy Russian connections”, and was involved in fraud. Another described him as “sketchy”.

Staff also referred to him as a “crackpot” and an “awful human being”, while one said: “The money I’d have paid to have been the agent ringing him to tell him [that he had been debanked].”

Mr Farage described the comments as “vile” and called on NatWest to reconsider the £11.3 million payout its board is expected to approve this Thursday for Dame Alison Rose, who resigned as chief executive of the bank in July following revelations in The Telegraph about Mr Farage’s treatment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Offtopic - My colleague's son has just completed a powerlifting competition, his lifts were 180kg bench, 300 Kg squat and 280 kg deadlift. He is doing his GCSEs next year; and is about 12 1/2 stone.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    On topic, if a nation has a general call up of say all 18 - 49 yr old men is a partisan act against any (or many) 18 - 49 yr old man/men of that nation then an act of terrorism ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    Sandpit said:

In my mind, terrorism is the commissioning of acts of indescriminate violence towards the general public, in furtherment of a political cause, with the aim of engendering wider fear in the community.

Which would include Israels current policy in Gaza.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,034

In my view it is a mistake for so many to have got bogged down in how the BBC described the Hamas terrorists, with customary opponents of the BBC piling in. This fuss served only to distract from the horror of what was perpetrated against men, women and children, and babies, in that 7th October bloodbath.

Actually, I think it's important. Hamas *are* terrorists, and the act they committed in Israel was a terrorist act, including under Richard's definition above. They are not the cuddly, oppressed people that some seem keen to make them out to be. In fact they are genocidal terrorists; hey want to kill an entire race. In that way, they are little different from ISIS.

Why not call them what they are?

Besides, plenty of people are distracting from the horror of what is happening. I don't see the people so keen to dismiss beheaded Israeli babies spreading details the Israeli government came out yesterday, even as they try to blame Israel for the hospital car park incident.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Of course, that definition captures the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Do we exclude states at war ? Iran ? North Korea, Russia ? (Well North Korea is de jure at war but not de facto; and Russia de facto but not de jure). Where is the line between war crime & terror. & Is one worse than the other ?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Or Bomber Commands Operation Gomorrah in 1943 against Hamburg.

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. It was always thus. We may well be appalled that around the world, including our own country, there are people who regard Hamas as freedom fighters, but we have to accept reality. Their reasons vary from the appalling anti-semitism of Islamism to sympathy for the oppressed.

It isn't really worth getting bogged down with definitions, they do not really progress any resolution.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Do we exclude states at war ? Iran ? North Korea, Russia ? (Well North Korea is de jure at war but not de facto; and Russia de facto but not de jure). Where is the line between war crime & terror. & Is one worse than the other ?
    As Israel regarded the atrocities of October 7th as an act of war, then that definition would exclude Hamas being terrorists.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    The legal definition of Terrorism under the 2000 Act is as follows:

Terrorism: interpretation.
    (1)In this Act “terrorism” means the use or threat of action where—
    (a) the action falls within subsection (2),
    (b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government [F1or an international governmental organisation] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
    (c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious [F2, racial] or ideological cause.
    (2) Action falls within this subsection if it—
    (a) involves serious violence against a person,
    (b) involves serious damage to property,
    (c) endangers a person’s life, other than that of the person committing the action,
    (d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or
    (e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
    (3)The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.
    (4)In this section—
    (a) “action” includes action outside the United Kingdom,
    (b) a reference to any person or to property is a reference to any person, or to property, wherever situated,
    (c) a reference to the public includes a reference to the public of a country other than the United Kingdom, and
    (d) “the government” means the government of the United Kingdom, of a Part of the United Kingdom or of a country other than the United Kingdom.

I think that this does capture the key elements required; The use of serious force to cause substantial harm for a designated purpose.
    A further complication in the Israel situation is that their response has been to declare war against the Palestinian state in Gaza. If you regard Hamas as state actors that you can declare war against are they terrorists?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

As Israel regarded the atrocities of October 7th as an act of war, then that definition would exclude Hamas being terrorists.
    Hamas and Israel were not 'at war' when the attack was comitted though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

All wars have to start somewhere.

Russia wasn't at war with Ukraine on Feb 24th 2022 either.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Being at war legitimatises being able to kill the combatants of the other side, but shouldn’t enable indiscriminate killing of civilians. That some of the allied actions during WWII were close to or went over, according to view, that line is the nub of the problem.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    ICC consider scrapping ODIs:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/mens-world-cup-2023-premium/icc_review_future_world_cup_format.html

I'm just relieved they haven't considered making the World Cup another Blundred tournament.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

They've been 'at war' in the east of Ukraine since February 2014. True, in Russia's case it was through proxies, but it was still a war.

Actually, that's another issue with such definitions: how do proxy actors fit into above definitions? Was the shootdown of MH17 by Russian-backed separatists in the Donbass, using a loaned Russian SAM system, a terrorist act, or the result of a mistake during an act of war?
  • Options
    Whatever your views on Avanti this is hilariously unselfaware:

Avanti West Coast: Union hits out at Christmas rail service cuts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67192282
  • Options
    In the most unexpected news ever, now he has safely secured re-election by Kurd bashing xenophobia, Erdogan has effectively greenlit Swedish membership of NATO.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/23/turkey-submits-bill-to-ratify-sweden-nato-membership
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,941
    O/T but does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to the Today programme for morning news and analysis. This morning is the last straw of their bullshit attempts to be a magazine programme and they are doing their millionth f-ing piece on “Free Brittney” interspersed with clips of her music.

There is loads of serious shit for R4 to cover and there are Radio 1 and 2 where they can waste their listeners time on such nonsense. The final straw was nearly last week with Nick Robinson creaming himself about Man Utd and Eric Cantona as they did vital coverage of Eric Cantona being a singer now.

It’s becoming as moronic as morning TV.

All recommendations, apart from Radio 5, welcome.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

In my view it is a mistake for so many to have got bogged down in how the BBC described the Hamas terrorists, with customary opponents of the BBC piling in. This fuss served only to distract from the horror of what was perpetrated against men, women and children, and babies, in that 7th October bloodbath.

Have we seen an updated list of Israeli fatalities by age range? The one issued 2 days ago had zero in the 0-6 category but it only had 763 listed?

Obviously from reports there were fatalities in that age range so no idea why they weren't included in an official tally issued over 2 weeks after the atrocities were carried out.

BTW I am not trying to deny babies weren't killed but curious at the reason for them not being listed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

This is why I love PB. Thank you, Richard.

I think the definition you have here is a legal definition rather than a dictionary definition. The latter should draw on the etymology -- reflecting on the terror aspect. The former can rightly be framed in the way you suggest.
    Of course, the distinction is not unusual: "murder" has a dictionary definition (in common usage it would include many cases of manslaughter) which is broader than the legal definition.

And therein lies a slight difficulty. Language is something that a skilled communicator (such as an orator) can use to provoke/inspire/etc -- and part of that often involves stretching definitions to make an emotional appeal. The word "terrorist" is always going to be subject to some elasticity in its definition in the hands of a politician or other persuader.

There's a second, bigger difficulty though... reflecting on your WWII example, what about cases where the end justifies the means? Your definition would include a Polish resistance fighter who didn't take enough care to protect German civilians. I don't want to catch them in the same definition as al-Qaeda...

Therein lies the problem.
    Point is that the word is capable of many definitions.
    Legally, different jurisdictions have different legal definitions of terrorism (if they have it at all).
    In the sphere of ordinary language, it is yet more confused. Richard's definition is as good as any; better than most, but it's anything but universal.
    Few on here would hesitate to call Hamas's recent atrocities terrorism - but what, for example, of Bush's 'war on terrorism' ?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    boulay said:

O/T but does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to the Today programme for morning news and analysis. This morning is the last straw of their bullshit attempts to be a magazine programme and they are doing their millionth f-ing piece on “Free Brittney” interspersed with clips of her music.

There is loads of serious shit for R4 to cover and there are Radio 1 and 2 where they can waste their listeners time on such nonsense. The final straw was nearly last week with Nick Robinson creaming himself about Man Utd and Eric Cantona as they did vital coverage of Eric Cantona being a singer now.

Find some podcasts that you like? For me, I used to be R5 through and through, but in the last year I’ve moved to podcasts for much of my listening time (mainly the commute). For lighter stuff Elis James and John Robbins (actually the pod of the R5 weekly show, but it’s a million miles from most R5 content). Also recently the Al Murray and James Holland we have ways podcasts (all you ever wanted to know about the Second World War). I am generally less annoyed when I get to work now!

We are surrounded by news. I have a sneaky suspicion that it’s not healthy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The legal definition of Terrorism under the 2000 Act is as follows:

Terrorism: interpretation.
    (1)In this Act “terrorism” means the use or threat of action where—
    (a) the action falls within subsection (2),
    (b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government [F1or an international governmental organisation] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
    (c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious [F2, racial] or ideological cause.
    (2) Action falls within this subsection if it—
    (a) involves serious violence against a person,
    (b) involves serious damage to property,
    (c) endangers a person’s life, other than that of the person committing the action,
    (d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or
    (e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
    (3)The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.
    (4)In this section—
    (a) “action” includes action outside the United Kingdom,
    (b) a reference to any person or to property is a reference to any person, or to property, wherever situated,
    (c) a reference to the public includes a reference to the public of a country other than the United Kingdom, and
    (d) “the government” means the government of the United Kingdom, of a Part of the United Kingdom or of a country other than the United Kingdom.

I think that this does capture the key elements required; The use of serious force to cause substantial harm for a designated purpose.
    A further complication in the Israel situation is that their response has been to declare war against the Palestinian state in Gaza. If you regard Hamas as state actors that you can declare war against are they terrorists?

It's a definition, though. Not the definition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_terrorism
    ...Various legal systems and government agencies use different definitions of terrorism, and governments have been reluctant to formulate an agreed-upon a legally binding definition. Difficulties arise from the fact that the term has become politically and emotionally charged. A simple definition proposed to the United Nations Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ) by terrorism studies scholar Alex P. Schmid in 1992, based on the already internationally accepted definition of war crimes, as "peacetime equivalents of war crimes", was not accepted..
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

It was, and had been since 2014.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

Still no serious analysis by liberals/moderates as to why Trump is so popular in the United States.

Basically, it started with the hollowing out of the middle class and the offshoring of manufacturing with little social safety net, not helped by initiatives aimed at helping “minorities” which completely bypass poor white people, and there’s millions of Americans for whom the dream isn’t working, who can no longer afford housing for a family on a working man’s salary, if they can even find the work in the first place.

Since 2020, things have got even worse for this group, many of whom lost their jobs during the pandemic, see 7m illegal immigrants now depressing unskilled and semi-skilled wages further, an opioid epidemic literally killing people in these communities, and a government which comes across as being happy to spend money in Ukraine and Israel, but not on fixing the problems in their own communities or responding to their own disasters.

There’s some recent polling that suggests black support for Trump is actually increasing (slightly, and from a very low base), as his various legal difficulties resonate with the way that the ‘justice’ system comes after them.
    There is Good News for these voters - tens of millions of people also agree with them that the American Dream is broken. A lie. A means of oppression. They're mad as hell and they're not going to take it any more. And by reelecting Trump they can finally smash the system for good.

We can see where the GOP has gone and continues to go. Once handed power they will - like the Nazis - never hand it back. They will - like the nazis - promote a fictionalised ideal whilst oppressing and surppressing all who disagree or do not fit the mould. And like the nazis, they will end democracy and blame it for all the ills of the past.

Trump isn't a fascist like the GOP. He isn't interested in banning women from having access to contraception or abortion or travel. He isn't anti-foreigner. He just wants to be the Biggest Thing Ever. So as a convicted mobster he has found himself the talisman which will dismantle the old America and bring about the new righteous America.

This new world will consume him, canonising his virtues as a saint whilst burying and ignoring his massive sins. The irony doesn't matter - the criminal womanising demoagogue as figurehead of their pseudo Old Testament "Christian" nation.

Good news for Michael Moore who gets some smashing documentary content. Bad News for the world. We've already seen that Trump and the GOP would have given in to Putin (whilst making idle threats they don't mean about nuclear defence against him). Would likely have told Netanyahu to wipe Gaza off the map and had the good old boys run up a number 6 against any American muslim they could find. Whilst baiting China to take Taiwan so that he can stoke anti-chink hatred at home.

This is the world which awaits us.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

Have we seen an updated list of Israeli fatalities by age range? The one issued 2 days ago had zero in the 0-6 category but it only had 763 listed?

Obviously from reports there were fatalities in that age range so no idea why they weren't included in an official tally issued over 2 weeks after the atrocities were carried out.

BTW I am not trying to deny babies weren't killed but curious at the reason for them not being listed.
    Perhaps you didn’t read PB during COVID?

Getting distributed medical and other systems to report data to a central system, with anything approaching reliability, takes time.

Hence Murder Tuesday. Which managed to surprise Robert Peston for months.
  • Options

Yeah, you're really not trying to deny that (/sarcasm mode)
  • Options

boulay said:

Find some podcasts that you like? For me, I used to be R5 through and through, but in the last year I’ve moved to podcasts for much of my listening time (mainly the commute). For lighter stuff Elis James and John Robbins (actually the pod of the R5 weekly show, but it’s a million miles from most R5 content). Also recently the Al Murray and James Holland we have ways podcasts (all you ever wanted to know about the Second World War). I am generally less annoyed when I get to work now!

Thanks, I already have plenty of podcasts I listen to but wanted something to start the day with a good round up of news overnight and interviews with key people or interesting people regarding those news stories. Have been listening to Today for 30 plus years and just fed up with the evolution over the last year or so.

I don’t watch tv news and duck in and out of the newspaper websites, here, other news sites through the day but want to be able whilst waking up and getting the day going to be able to listen to someone intelligent interview, say the head of MI6, about the issue of the day and not have some absolute shit about music crammed in (it’s different if a major star has died of course) or other nonsense.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Note also, that the originators of the term - the revolutionaries of the French National Convention - embraced the term as a means of imposing 'justice'.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    ydoethur said:

In the most unexpected news ever, now he has safely secured re-election by Kurd bashing xenophobia, Erdogan has effectively greenlit Swedish membership of NATO.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/23/turkey-submits-bill-to-ratify-sweden-nato-membership

The Swedish Correspondent will be upset.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    It's a good stab at a definition but ultimately I think you're right with "our side won" and hence "this" is terrorism for any value of this that our side opposes. The word terrorism is pretty meaningless.

That does not mean you can't pick a side morally, however, where the word can be used as shorthand for acts we as a society with our values disagree with and this is where the furore over the Beeb kicks in.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

There is Good News for these voters - tens of millions of people also agree with them that the American Dream is broken. A lie. A means of oppression. They're mad as hell and they're not going to take it any more. And by reelecting Trump they can finally smash the system for good.

We can see where the GOP has gone and continues to go. Once handed power they will - like the Nazis - never hand it back. They will - like the nazis - promote a fictionalised ideal whilst oppressing and surppressing all who disagree or do not fit the mould. And like the nazis, they will end democracy and blame it for all the ills of the past.

Trump isn't a fascist like the GOP. He isn't interested in banning women from having access to contraception or abortion or travel. He isn't anti-foreigner. He just wants to be the Biggest Thing Ever. So as a convicted mobster he has found himself the talisman which will dismantle the old America and bring about the new righteous America.

This new world will consume him, canonising his virtues as a saint whilst burying and ignoring his massive sins. The irony doesn't matter - the criminal womanising demoagogue as figurehead of their pseudo Old Testament "Christian" nation.

Good news for Michael Moore who gets some smashing documentary content. Bad News for the world. We've already seen that Trump and the GOP would have given in to Putin (whilst making idle threats they don't mean about nuclear defence against him). Would likely have told Netanyahu to wipe Gaza off the map and had the good old boys run up a number 6 against any American muslim they could find. Whilst baiting China to take Taiwan so that he can stoke anti-chink hatred at home.

Alternatively, very little could happen like last time he was President.
  • Options
    On the continuing utter uselessness of this government.

£1bn fund to expand EV charging network still not open after three years
    Rishi Sunak unveiled funding pot for expanding charging facilities at motorway services in 2020 but it is not yet accepting bids
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/24/1bn-fund-to-expand-ev-charging-network-still-not-open-after-three-years
  • Options
    Lets be clear - a state of war does not preclude terrorism. Foxy has argued that Israel's actions in Gaza are terrorism. Perhaps. Certainly both the blitz and our firebombing campaigns were terrorism.

The truth is that you cannot adopt a universal definition and apply it universally. The Terrorist / Freedom Fighter / Soldier boundary is flexible depending on your perspective.

Nor can an international community apply its definitions and rules absolutely. The world doesn't work like that, there is always interpretation and context.

Personally I maintain that there is a huge difference in intent between invading a town and then cold-bloodedly shooting little girls and in calling for the civilians to leave a town so that you can bomb out the terrorists and then little girls being killed in the attack when it comes.

But in practice? Two dead girls, both of whom were of equal value and equal innocence.
  • Options

Perhaps you didn’t read PB during COVID?

Getting distributed medical and other systems to report data to a central system, with anything approaching reliability, takes time.

Hence Murder Tuesday. Which managed to surprise Robert Peston for months.
    To be fair, the sun rising every morning surprises Robert Peston. ;)
  • Options
    In short, the winner takes it all, the loser has to fall. It's simple and it's plain. (Why should I complain.)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

A great deal happened last time. A great deal has happened during the Biden interregnum. Some people support a fascist America. I get that. The rest of us look on in horror and point to the path ahead. They won't need anything as clumsy as the failed coup next time.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,963
    boulay said:

Thanks, I already have plenty of podcasts I listen to but wanted something to start the day with a good round up of news overnight and interviews with key people or interesting people regarding those news stories.

Have you tried Times Radio ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

On the continuing utter uselessness of this government.

£1bn fund to expand EV charging network still not open after three years
    Rishi Sunak unveiled funding pot for expanding charging facilities at motorway services in 2020 but it is not yet accepting bids
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/24/1bn-fund-to-expand-ev-charging-network-still-not-open-after-three-years

I recall a certain PBer very excited by the Solemn Promise to spend £1bn to electrify the North Wales Main Line. Definitely going to happen with no caveats or concerns. Just like the billion for EV charging happened.

If a Tory is speaking, you know it is a lie. They can't run for reelection on their record because they haven't actually done anything.
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Thanks, I already have plenty of podcasts I listen to but wanted something to start the day with a good round up of news overnight and interviews with key people or interesting people regarding those news stories. Have been listening to Today for 30 plus years and just fed up with the evolution over the last year or so.

I don’t watch tv news and duck in and out of the newspaper websites, here, other news sites through the day but want to be able whilst waking up and getting the day going to be able to listen to someone intelligent interview, say the head of MI6, about the issue of the day and not have some absolute shit about music crammed in (it’s different if a major star has died of course) or other nonsense.
    I listen to Today on and off. I like Amol and the team for that matter. I don't listen enough to get the full range of Brittany or Eric but the 8.10 interview is usually unmissable and plenty of good content there aside from that. I dislike those "fluffy" items, they introduced a lighter topic a few years ago at, was it, 8.40, but can live with it.

Better than anything else although I do love a bit of Nick Ferrari.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,278
    boulay said:

boulay said:

I would try the World Service.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited October 2023
    This is somewhat awkward - the Office for National Statistics no longer trusts the workforce surveys

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/october2023

the workforce survey is one of the prime drivers for interest rate changes.

So they are going to experiment with a new one based on claimant and HMRC RTI information which means it won't be picking up self employment at all.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

I listen to Today on and off. I like Amol and the team for that matter. I don't listen enough to get the full range of Brittany or Eric but the 8.10 interview is usually unmissable and plenty of good content there aside from that. I dislike those "fluffy" items, they introduced a lighter topic a few years ago at, was it, 8.40, but can live with it.

But even R5 Live is to be preferred to Thought For the Day.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Yep Thought for the Day is a shocker.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Strangely, being completely non religious, I find “prayer for today” earlier more enlightening than “thought for the day”.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Our railways have a rather good track record with safety, with only one fatal crash involving passengers since Grayrigg in 2007.

But it's often a close-run thing. Below is a long report into an incident in Derbyshire, where a mis-wired signal led to the wrong aspect (colour) to be shown. Thanks to the signalmen and drivers of both trains involved, there was no collision. But it was a close-run thing.

Very nearly shades of Clapham Junction...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/653688e1e839fd0014867377/R112023_231023_South_Wingfield.pdf
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

boulay said:

Thanks, I already have plenty of podcasts I listen to but wanted something to start the day with a good round up of news overnight and interviews with key people or interesting people regarding those news stories.

Have you tried Times Radio ?
    Thanks, will try. Do they get good quality commentators on, or rather do they have the same reach as the BBC to get on top gov and military, civil service, academics?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On topic, if a nation has a general call up of say all 18 - 49 yr old men is a partisan act against any (or many) 18 - 49 yr old man/men of that nation then an act of terrorism ?

If it was against just the one man I'd call it overkill rather than terrorism.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    One could include attacks on the security forces as acts of terrorism if carried out in a democracy.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    We treat “terrorism” as particularly abhorrent. To label something as terrorism is to say it is in this class of especially bad acts. People are murdered in the UK all the time. (696 per year in the most recent figures, nearly 2 a day.) However, a single terrorist killing dominates the headlines and can lead to massive security clampdowns.

And yet we can also treat terrorism more leniently. The Good Friday Agreement released terrorists (albeit it called them paramilitaries) from prison early, while those who had murdered for more personal reasons stayed inside.
  • Options
    Thanks for the interesting header, Richard.

I suppose the next question must be: Is terrorism ever justified?

In the cases of the French Resistance, the Polish Underground and, as your photo implies, the ANC, I'm sure many would say yes. In an asymmetric war, terrorism may be the only avenue of resistance remaining to the weaker side.
  • Options

In the cases of the French Resistance, the Polish Underground and, as your photo implies, the ANC, I'm sure many would say yes. In an asymmetric war, terrorism may be the only avenue of resistance remaining to the weaker side.

It is up to the winner and the contemporary values that "our" society holds.

Plus as your post suggests, we can also decide not to use the word terrorism in a pejorative sense.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

Very little? Abortion outlawed in much of the country. A violent insurrection attacking Congress. Military aid withheld from Ukraine. US troops withdrawn from Syria, and the process started to withdraw them from Afghanistan. Significant excess deaths among one political group because of misinformation around COVID…
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

It is massively variable. Sam Wells, Richard Harries, Giles Fraser, Angela Tilby are all capable of top quality stuff on a good day (my Anglican bias may be showing here).

But perhaps the better TFTD this morning was the all too short (and should have been done by a science editor) interview with Carlos Frenk, physics professor at Durham, on shifts in understanding cosmology. As Frenk is a practising Catholic perhaps he should have a regular gig on TFTD.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342

Yes, and perhnaps it's partly a subconscious desire to avoid thinking about babies being murdered and focus on an intellectual debate. But the debate is worth having unless it actually does distract from being aware of the horrors.
  • Options

Interesting article. I remember a similar analysis in the long-defunct Marxism Today (which was basically a eurocommunist attempt to discuss how communism would work without dictatorship), trying to answer when armed insurgency was acceptable. The litmus test suggested was the absence of a realistic peaceful way in which the majority of the population could achieve political change - that meant that the ANC insurgency was acceptable since the majority were banned by law from voting, while the IRA insurgency was not since democratic means were available (and, as has subsequently proved the case, Sinn Fein could win influence that way). The article also suggested a scale of legitimate insurgency, which the minimum violence and impact on civilians that had a realistic chance of achieving change - thus blowing up telecommunications wires and sabotaging the economy was OK, blowing up shopping centres was not.

All kinds of judgment questions there, but as a general approach it felt about right.
    Though of course the communist model would be Stalin's Great Terror.
  • Options
    In 2078 when we are controlled by our AI overlords, will human armed struggle vs the machines count as terrorism?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    boulay said:

I fled to the world service.

If you listen on the internet you can pick up some of their overnight programmes when you wake in the morning

• Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2023

Interesting article. I remember a similar analysis in the long-defunct Marxism Today (which was basically a eurocommunist attempt to discuss how communism would work without dictatorship), trying to answer when armed insurgency was acceptable. The litmus test suggested was the absence of a realistic peaceful way in which the majority of the population could achieve political change - that meant that the ANC insurgency was acceptable since the majority were banned by law from voting, while the IRA insurgency was not since democratic means were available (and, as has subsequently proved the case, Sinn Fein could win influence that way). The article also suggested a scale of legitimate insurgency, which the minimum violence and impact on civilians that had a realistic chance of achieving change - thus blowing up telecommunications wires and sabotaging the economy was OK, blowing up shopping centres was not.

All kinds of judgment questions there, but as a general approach it felt about right.
    There's also the question of what exactly constitutes a civilian. In our society, the roles of soldier and civilian are generally well defined, but this is of course not always the case. Richard has mentioned the example of police, but what about, for example, conscripts or militias? And what about the political figures who command armies, or those who provide aid, support or information to soldiers? Should attacks on these people also be considered to be terrorism?
  • Options

Off-topic:

Our railways have a rather good track record with safety, with only one fatal crash involving passengers since Grayrigg in 2007.

But it's often a close-run thing. Below is a long report into an incident in Derbyshire, where a mis-wired signal led to the wrong aspect (colour) to be shown. Thanks to the signalmen and drivers of both trains involved, there was no collision. But it was a close-run thing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/653688e1e839fd0014867377/R112023_231023_South_Wingfield.pdf

My God, a wrong side failure is the gateway to hell. Happily there was nothing in front of the first train when it sailed through the unexpected red at speed, and that the signaller and train behind were on it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Being at war legitimatises being able to kill the combatants of the other side, but shouldn’t enable indiscriminate killing of civilians. That some of the allied actions during WWII were close to or went over, according to view, that line is the nub of the problem.
    Which is why its good that Israel are not indiscriminately killing civilians.

If they were there'd be hundreds of thousands or millions of dead Gazans.

Israel is following the rules of proportionality in trying to go after Hamas, while trying to minimise civilian casualties. Its difficult as Hamas use civilians as human shields, it ties one hand behind their back, but its also the civilised way to behave so we should be congratulating them for being so civilised in the face of such horror.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

Very little? Abortion outlawed in much of the country. A violent insurrection attacking Congress. Military aid withheld from Ukraine. US troops withdrawn from Syria, and the process started to withdraw them from Afghanistan. Significant excess deaths among one political group because of misinformation around COVID…
    Only because the woke pesky doctors wouldn't give the injected bleach a fair go.
  • Options

Oh well I should have assumed you would think that.

FFS you really have no clue about me.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Here's a question on this topic. Was the attempted extermination by the Nazis of occupied Europe's Jews (and gypsies and other minorities) terrorism? Under the definition in the header, it was, at least unless those Jews happened to be soldiers. I would argue, however, that, though an unspeakable set of atrocities, it wasn't terrorism, because it was done in about as much secrecy as possible. It wasn't an attempt to breed fear in a population to achieve a political end, but the mass murder of that population as a political end in itself.

However, Stalin's persecutions of political opponents in Russia in the 1930s does amount to state terrorism, because it was clearly done to maximise terror in the population, with show trials of the more notable given maximum publicity. Of course few of the victims actually got that much airtime, but the intent was clear. This was, therefore, terrorism as well as a set of atrocities.

But arguing about the greatest crimes of the last century as an academic exercise on semantics can get distasteful so I'll stop.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,808
    edited October 2023
    Um Richard

I genuinely enjoyed the article but in WWII the British Bomber Command adopted area bombing and "dehoming" was a specific aim of this.

In early/mid WWII bomb accuracy was measured in miles. They could not accurately bomb small targets. But attacking the ground with bombs was more feasible than, say, invading France, so they had to work out what to do. So they tried to work out what would be the most efficient use of British bombers and after some debate area bombing and dehousing was adopted instead of, say, logistics bombing to attack railways/hubs or developing a longer-distance bomber to attack ships

Since this policy was specifically designed to target civilians and no realistic means available to reduce civilian casualties, it meets your definition of terrorism.

Details of the dehousing policy can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehousing . If you have a taste for military history you might want to try Bomber Command by Max Hastings, which is in turn inspiring thru his depiction of how to ramp up production from ten to thousand bomber raids, and deeply depressing in his depiction of the casualties thus produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehousing
    https://archive.org/details/bombercommand0000hast
  • Options

You'd rather Labour lose the election than take steps to win it.

You'd rather minimise any attacks on Israel and magnify any Israeli response to keep up the pretension that Israel is the "bad guy" here.

You have more contempt for moderate Labour than for the Tories.

A former Labour leader was a two time election loser is better than a probable Labour election winner in your eyes.

Have I got any of that wrong, or is it in the general ballpark?
  • Options

Off-topic:

My God, a wrong side failure is the gateway to hell. Happily there was nothing in front of the first train when it sailed through the unexpected red at speed, and that the signaller and train behind were on it.
    Incidentally, one of my favourite stories was from the 1980s, and I was told about it first-hand by one of the people sent out to investigate. An HST was going at nearly 100MPH when a signalman flicked the wrong switch and sent it into exchange sidings at a power station - rated at 25MPH or so. Somehow it did not come off the tracks, and the driver saw the route was set incorrectly in plenty of time to somewhat reduce speed. Also, the exchange sidings were very well maintained. Annoyingly, I cannot remember which power station it was.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

In 2078 when we are controlled by our AI overlords, will human armed struggle vs the machines count as terrorism?

Presumably not if the AI originated from the military
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Presumably not if the AI originated from the military
    It all started to go wrong on an obscure political blog that experimented with AI chat bots in 2024.....
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Here's a question on this topic. Was the attempted extermination by the Nazis of occupied Europe's Jews (and gypsies and other minorities) terrorism? Under the definition in the header, it was, at least unless those Jews happened to be soldiers. I would argue, however, that, though an unspeakable set of atrocities, it wasn't terrorism, because it was done in about as much secrecy as possible. It wasn't an attempt to breed fear in a population to achieve a political end, but the mass murder of that population as a political end in itself.

However, Stalin's persecutions of political opponents in Russia in the 1930s does amount to state terrorism, because it was clearly done to maximise terror in the population, with show trials of the more notable given maximum publicity. Of course few of the victims actually got that much airtime, but the intent was clear. This was, therefore, terrorism as well as a set of atrocities.

But arguing about the greatest crimes of the last century as an academic exercise on semantics can get distasteful so I'll stop.

The Nazis certainly came to power, and ruled through terror.
    Kristallnacht, and the persecution of Jews were very public acts; their mass murder was an extension of that (though perhaps, for them, 'plausibly deniable').

• Options
    viewcode said:

Um Richard

I genuinely enjoyed the article but in WWII the British Bomber Command adopted area bombing and "dehoming" was a specific aim of this.

In early/mid WWII bomb accuracy was measured in miles. They could not accurately bomb small targets. But attacking the ground with bombs was more feasible than, say, invading France, so they had to work out what to do. So they tried to work out what would be the most efficient use of British bombers and after some debate area bombing and dehousing was adopted instead of, say, logistics bombing to attack railways/hubs or developing a longer-distance bomber to attack ships

Since this policy was specifically designed to target civilians and no realistic means available to reduce civilian casualties, it meets your definition of terrorism.

Details of the dehousing policy can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehousing . If you have a taste for military history you might want to try Bomber Command by Max Hastings, which is in turn inspiring thru his depiction of how to ramp up production from ten to thousand bomber raids, and deeply depressing in his depiction of the casualties thus produced.

As I say in the article, we have an alternative term we use for the acts you describe - war crimes. I think this is a better definition not least because , in the modern circumstance, it is supposed to be defined and judged independently of winners and losers. You can win a war and still be guilty of war crimes in the eyes of the international community.

I have absolutely no doubt that, in modern terms, the area bombings of WW2 by all sides would be defined as war crimes - the equivalent of state enacted terrorism.
  • Options
    Has much changed since Robespierre ?
    "If the basis of popular government in peacetime is virtue, the basis of popular government during a revolution is both virtue and terror; virtue, without which terror is baneful; terror, without which virtue is powerless. Terror is nothing more than speedy, severe and inflexible justice; it is thus an emanation of virtue; it is less a principle in itself, than a consequence of the general principle of democracy, applied to the most pressing needs of the patrie.."

"Virtue" being whatever those in charge of the mob say it is.
  • Options

You'd rather Labour lose the election than take steps to win it.

You'd rather minimise any attacks on Israel and magnify any Israeli response to keep up the pretension that Israel is the "bad guy" here.

You have more contempt for moderate Labour than for the Tories.

A former Labour leader was a two time election loser is better than a probable Labour election winner in your eyes.

Have I got any of that wrong, or is it in the general ballpark?
    True ( I would rather it had principles)/ false ( but you should look in the mirror) all lives are equal is my view but not yours / false (equal contempt)/ true
  • Options

viewcode said:

Um Richard

As I say in the article, we have an alternative term we use for the acts you describe - war crimes. I think this is a better definition not least because , in the modern circumstance, it is supposed to be defined and judged independently of winners and losers. You can win a war and still be guilty of war crimes in the eyes of the international community.

I have absolutely no doubt that, in modern terms, the area bombings of WW2 by all sides would be defined as war crimes - the equivalent of state enacted terrorism.
    Very probably. But those actions were necessary, in the eyes of the perpetrators, in order to win the war and defeat the Germans.
  • Options

Will vandalism be the new terrorism?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

Um Richard

Very probably. But those actions were necessary, in the eyes of the perpetrators, in order to win the war and defeat the Germans.
    True. But many perpetrators of war crimes see their actions as necessary. The same can be said of torture and the execution of prisoners

More to the point, it was some of these actions which were legally acceptable at the time which led to the creation of the laws covering actions in war after WW2.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Israel is following the rules of proportionality in trying to go after Hamas, while trying to minimise civilian casualties. Its difficult as Hamas use civilians as human shields, it ties one hand behind their back, but its also the civilised way to behave so we should be congratulating them for being so civilised in the face of such horror.
    That is one view. Amnesty International, on the other hands, thinks some Israeli actions can be classed as war crimes. Maybe both are true.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    I know that we shouldn't read very much into individual polls.

Nonetheless, it is striking that since the by-elections last week we have seen a run of four successive polls, all by different polling companies, all of which put SNP GE support at 2% across GB. To put that in context, across October 2022 the SNP support was averaging exactly 4% across all polling companies, and even in June/July this year it was typically 3% and sometimes edging up to 4%..
  • Options

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

Um Richard

True. But many perpetrators of war crimes see their actions as necessary. The same can be said of torture and the execution of prisoners

More to the point, it was some of these actions which were legally acceptable at the time which led to the creation of the laws covering actions in war after WW2.
    And we return to the point we have discussed throughout the Israel/Gaza issue. It is problematic for someone, a power, arbitrarily to draw a line under a mode of behaviour because they, that power, believes itself to be safe and unlikely to need it again.

In times of perceived existential crisis a very great deal of behaviour is "acceptable". The alternative is to follow the "rules" and cease to exist.

If people had sat down in 1906 or 1926 and pondered, say, firebombing, the Allied Powers might very well have deemed it illegal. But it was used in times of perceived existential crisis.

There are few eternal rules and precious few in times of war.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

That is one view. Amnesty International, on the other hands, thinks some Israeli actions can be classed as war crimes. Maybe both are true.
    Or maybe not. Amnesty have an agenda.

Either way though, Israel are definitely not bombing indiscriminately, are they? Even the discredited Hamas-supplied Gazan death figures which tried to claim 500 deaths from a fictional "Israeli" bombing haven't claimed that hundreds of thousands are dying from indiscriminate bombing - which would be the case if it were actually happening in an area as densely populated as Gaza.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    This is a really useful thread header. I agree with a lot of it, but I think the overall thrust is wrong. Understandably the topic is quite emotionally loaded and the header seems to be coming from a desire to define terrorism based on whether it is justified/unjustified or to put it in simpler terms, right or wrong. To me, this question is an orthogonal one (and a hard one to answer a lot of the time) to a definitional question of what terrorism is. In my view it is important to focus on the word "terror" - terrorism should be seen as a form of psychological warfare, designed to achieve specific political goals through acts of violence. The IRA's goal was to make the British public question the British state's involvement in Ireland. Al Qaeda's goal was to make the West disengage from the Middle East. Hamas's goal is to make the Israeli public question their state's actions in Gaza and the West Bank, and to inflame Arab opinion against Israel to keep the issue on the front page and prevent Arab states from concluding peace deals with Israel that don't address the Palestinians' concerns.
    Terrorism tends to be carried out by non state actors because it is a form of asymmetrical warfare that tends to be carried out by the weaker partner in the conflict. The stronger partner has other means at their disposal. Israeli attacks on Gaza are therefore not terrorism. Similarly, the bombing of Hamburg or Hiroshima are not terrorism. Whether they are war crimes is a different issue.
    Whether any of these things are right or wrong is a third question altogether, and one I'm always surprised at how many people feel themselves qualified to answer. In many conflicts it's hard to divide the two sides into good guys and bad guys. Rather than seeking elusive moral clarity we should focus our efforts on helping both sides to de-escalate and find a lasting peace that removes the underlying causes of the conflict.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    eek said:

This is somewhat awkward - the Office for National Statistics no longer trusts the workforce surveys

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/october2023

the workforce survey is one of the prime drivers for interest rate changes.

So they are going to experiment with a new one based on claimant and HMRC RTI information which means it won't be picking up self employment at all.

Do they explain why? I couldn't see an obvious explanation for what was wrong with the previous method in the blurb on that page.

I would have thought that the gold standard approach would be to continue with both sets of figures in parallel for a year or two, so that they can do some proper analysis of why they are getting different numbers from different places.

Measuring workforce labour rates without reference to self employment seems nuts, especially because as I understand it, self employment is often the result of times of particular churn in the labour market (people get made redundant/take voluntary redundancy and go and work self employed rather than take another job).
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited October 2023

This is a really useful thread header. I agree with a lot of it, but I think the overall thrust is wrong. Understandably the topic is quite emotionally loaded and the header seems to be coming from a desire to define terrorism based on whether it is justified/unjustified or to put it in simpler terms, right or wrong. To me, this question is an orthogonal one (and a hard one to answer a lot of the time) to a definitional question of what terrorism is. In my view it is important to focus on the word "terror" - terrorism should be seen as a form of psychological warfare, designed to achieve specific political goals through acts of violence. The IRA's goal was to make the British public question the British state's involvement in Ireland. Al Qaeda's goal was to make the West disengage from the Middle East. Hamas's goal is to make the Israeli public question their state's actions in Gaza and the West Bank, and to inflame Arab opinion against Israel to keep the issue on the front page and prevent Arab states from concluding peace deals with Israel that don't address the Palestinians' concerns.
    Terrorism tends to be carried out by non state actors because it is a form of asymmetrical warfare that tends to be carried out by the weaker partner in the conflict. The stronger partner has other means at their disposal. Israeli attacks on Gaza are therefore not terrorism. Similarly, the bombing of Hamburg or Hiroshima are not terrorism. Whether they are war crimes is a different issue.
    Whether any of these things are right or wrong is a third question altogether, and one I'm always surprised at how many people feel themselves qualified to answer. In many conflicts it's hard to divide the two sides into good guys and bad guys. Rather than seeking elusive moral clarity we should focus our efforts on helping both sides to de-escalate and find a lasting peace that removes the underlying causes of the conflict.

While in many conflicts it is surprisingly easy to divide the two sides into good guys and bad guys. plus in those situations the "source of the conflict" is the fact that the bad guys want conflict. Eg Ukraine was at peace, before Russia invaded. Eg Israel had stopped occupying Gaza and was helping the Palestinians build the Port of Gaza to aid their development before Hamas took over. We can divide some conflicts by saying democratic Ukraine good, authoritarian Russia bad. Similarly democratic Israel good, Islamofascist Hamas bad.

Rather than seeking elusive "de-escalation" in those situations, we should be seeking to aid victory for our allies who are good over those who would do them harm and in victory they can maybe have a lasting peace.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

And every time such language is used by maintream and establishment Amercian politicians and media, a few more votes end up firmly in the Trump column.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    edited October 2023
    Wittgenstein suggests that the meaning of a word is in how it is used in practice.

Lewis Carroll — 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less"

I hope that helps.
  • Options

There's also the question of what exactly constitutes a civilian. In our society, the roles of soldier and civilian are generally well defined, but this is of course not always the case. Richard has mentioned the example of police, but what about, for example, conscripts or militias? And what about the political figures who command armies, or those who provide aid, support or information to soldiers? Should attacks on these people also be considered to be terrorism?
    I am reminded of the 1982 Regent's Park IRA bombing of a bandstand that killed 6 bandsmen who were playing show tunes. Yes, they are soldiers, but they're bandsmen: they play music and, in war, generally provide first aid. Are they really combatants?
  • Options

I think to some extent that misunderstands what I have written. It is not an attempt to base the definition on justified/unjustified. Exactly the opposite in fact. What I have said is that there are certain acts - specifically in this instance the targeting of civilians - which are wrong irrespective of whether or not they might be justified or necessary. This is why I talk in terms of defining the act not the perpetrator. The aim would be to say that, even if necessary, even if you are on the wining side, even if you are on the side of the angels as far as the ultimate conflict goes, there are certain acts which are not acceptable irrespective of need, cause or justifiation.

Good people sometimes do bad things.

And I see terrorism and war crimes as equivalent acts, requiring similar condemnation and punishment but which, due to the aplicatio of law against states, require slightly different approaches in how they are prosecuted.
  • Options

I know that we shouldn't read very much into individual polls.

Nonetheless, it is striking that since the by-elections last week we have seen a run of four successive polls, all by different polling companies, all of which put SNP GE support at 2% across GB. To put that in context, across October 2022 the SNP support was averaging exactly 4% across all polling companies, and even in June/July this year it was typically 3% and sometimes edging up to 4%..

When the Holyrood government is seen to be doing a Good Job, when the prospect of independence is a burning platform, then lots of disengaged people will vote SNP. But now? The government looks like a tired rabble and independence has become a sarcastic photo op for Alba. Why vote SNP now?

Its the same in Norniron. The reason why the DUP refuse to govern is because the DUP have lost. And the longer they refuse the bigger the coming defeat when the frit UK government forces an election. At least we have the opportunity to vote out the SNP in Scotland.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Wow, just from the summary that’s horrific, and much, much closer to a major accident than anyone wants to see. Well done to all involved, who were paying attention when the theoretically impossible happened.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

Um Richard

And we return to the point we have discussed throughout the Israel/Gaza issue. It is problematic for someone, a power, arbitrarily to draw a line under a mode of behaviour because they, that power, believes itself to be safe and unlikely to need it again.

In times of perceived existential crisis a very great deal of behaviour is "acceptable". The alternative is to follow the "rules" and cease to exist.

If people had sat down in 1906 or 1926 and pondered, say, firebombing, the Allied Powers might very well have deemed it illegal. But it was used in times of perceived existential crisis.

There are few eternal rules and precious few in times of war.
    I which case there is no point having either war crimes or anti-terrorism laws. Because either side can claim that a conflict is an existential crisis on some level.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255

MarkHertling
    @MarkHertling
    ·
    8h
    All wars are horrific. Some more intense than others.

The conditions of this battlefield is the worst I’ve ever seen. The things we will likely see in the days & weeks ahead will assault all our senses.

It is the worst of the human condition. 6/

There are no quick or easy solutions, as both sides are aggrieved.

A few more hostages will be released, but that’s part of a playbook to provide hope when hope isn’t there.

Thousands of innocents caught in the middle will suffer & is little that can be done to avoid it. 7/

There will be an IDF incursion. Hamas will prove better than many expect in repelling the IDF advance.

Unfortunately, I also believe the fight will last a long time, will result in thousands of casualties, and neither side will achieve their strategic objectives. 8/

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1716607287278649448
This discussion has been closed.