Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A note from Mike Smithson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,820
    Inciting violence again.

Donald Trump: “I don't think the people of this country are going to stand for it...This is a disgrace. And you ought to go after this attorney general.”
    https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1708850019623670259
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427

So we've got Sunak's speech, the Labour conference, and three by elections coming up in the next 10 days or so.

SNP Tamworth and Tories gain Rutherglen nailed on.

Plus a referendum in Australia, elections and referendum in Poland, and elections in Argentina.
    Just needs Trump up in court to complete the full se... Ah.
    Last stint as guest editor saw in the space of 48 hours

1) Trump charged on a national security case

2) The Privileges Committee recommending Boris Johnson be suspended for 90 days

3) Boris Johns resigning as an MP because of 2)

4) Sunak denying Nadine Dorries and others peerages

5) Nigel Adams resigning as an MP with immediate effect because of 4)

6) Nadine Dorries resigning as an MP with immediate effect* because of 4)

7) Nicole Sturgeon arrested

*With caused epistemological problems which the English language is yet to recover from

Seems you have your work cut out to maintain your reputation... :smile:
  • Options

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

@montie
    I walked into Conference earlier with
    @Nigel_Farage
    . He got quite the reception. I'm convinced party members would choose him as leader if they could.

Think it's quite possible he will try to become a Tory MP soon.
    Someone was asking on here the other day, might have been DavidL, about what happened to Cameron’s lovely green, centrist, hug-a-hoodie non-nasty party Tories?

Well, Brexit happened. The loons metastasized. The chimera of a pain free Brexit, the expelling of sane voices counselling caution, it’s led to the shambles we’re witnessing now. Levelling up is dead. HS2 is dead. Taxes are high, inflation is high. Brexit is costing us billions. We are poorer, we have fewer rights, we have a Telegraph columnist(!) bemoaning how useless their British passport is - fortunately for the columnist in question they managed to finagle themselves an EU passport. I should be so lucky.

And now the lunatics want Farage to be their leader.

At this point, they deserve each other.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,526
    Ave atque vale Mike Smithson

A worthy servant of the God-Emperor: Lib Dem bar charts

Hasten ye back, OGH
  • Options
    Telegraph start a new series where our readers let us peek inside their weekly finances.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/23-year-old-banking-analyst-80000-salary-how-spend-it/

Cost of living crisis, what cost of living crisis.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396

Trump has his knokers..

Caps lock was definitely to full on there.

Are there caps on the fines he faces?

Or will he just get locked?
  • Options

Telegraph start a new series where our readers let us peek inside their weekly finances.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/23-year-old-banking-analyst-80000-salary-how-spend-it/

An esteemed former PBer once did a similar piece for the Guardian on half a million quid a year.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,460
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

Donald Trump: “I don't think the people of this country are going to stand for it...This is a disgrace. And you ought to go after this attorney general.”

I imagine he wants to be jailed. A few weeks just before the primaries would do wonders for his notoriety.

PB medics I've the itch again. The pre-Brexit, 2016 election itch. I think he's going to win again.
  • Options

An esteemed former PBer once did a similar piece for the Guardian on half a million quid a year.
    Did they bemoan how £500k a year just doesn't go that far these days?
  • Options

So we've got Sunak's speech, the Labour conference, and three by elections coming up in the next 10 days or so.

Plus a referendum in Australia, elections and referendum in Poland, and elections in Argentina.

*With caused epistemological problems which the English language is yet to recover from

"Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride."
    Woke nonsense! We want the freedom to drive fast without baby harnesses!

Serious question for those who know this world better than me (suburban science master, remember, which gives one an excellent insight into human frailty)...

Have we got Rishi all wrong? Thinking about the bits of his City experience we know about, aren't hedge funds the epitome of the high stakes gambling end of things? And he now has the confidence of someone who got lucky a few times, thanks to spreadsheets.

Hence an enthusiasm for Brexit because it allows for even bigger gambles with the safety rails removed.

Maybe he is just as bonkers as his predecessors.
  • Options
    Sanna Marin, the ex-PM of Finland, is 37 years old.

Life comes fast etc...

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    THE TRUSS IS BACK
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,816

Serious question for those who know this world better than me (suburban science master, remember, which gives one an excellent insight into human frailty)...

Have we got Rishi all wrong? Thinking about the bits of his City experience we know about, aren't hedge funds the epitome of the high stakes gambling end of things? And he now has the confidence of someone who got lucky a few times, thanks to spreadsheets.

Hence an enthusiasm for Brexit because it allows for even bigger gambles with the safety rails removed.

Did he use a spreadsheet to find his wife?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,561
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2023

I think its far simpler than that. He has basically zero experience in government during "normal" times, he got a rapid promotion because of being a chosen one by Big Dom and then spent it firefighting economic disaster of COVID.

Then it is clear he doesn't really have any clear vision of what he wants to achieve (or should be trying to achieve) and is actually totally out of his depth when it comes to day to day politics...and now is just being guided by a core vote strategy to energise the base.

Hunt is not much better and he doesn't have the excuse of not knowing how to be a senior minister (and has business experience).

They said Cameron / Osborne didn't have any real vision, but they both done the SpAd / research party jobs when younger, so at very least they knew how the game was played and had been MPs for 10 years before getting into power.
  • Options

... --- ...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,024
    GIN1138 said:

I keep contrasting the Cameron era of Tory government - how on earth have we got to this UKIP version of the party. Presumably the answer is Brexit

I think it's just because they know they're losing power next year so they're retreating to their base as party's at the end of their time in government and while they're in Opposition tend to do.

Whoever becomes leader and LOTO will have to move back to the center pretty sharpish if they want to have a chance of winning in 2029.
    When Bozo become Prime Minister I commented on here that he would be the last ever Tory PM...

The only reason that statement is incorrect is because Bozo didn't last the full length of this Parliament but it's obvious now that the Tory party has both a death wish and no idea what it's purpose is...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

I imagine he wants to be jailed. A few weeks just before the primaries would do wonders for his notoriety.

PB medics I've the itch again. The pre-Brexit, 2016 election itch. I think he's going to win again.
    I'm afraid you are right.

Biden is too old (it pains me to say) and it will all unravel during the campaign enough to just edge it for Trump.

No one in government across the western world should not be frantically preparing for the chaos of Trump 2.0.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Given his recent tweets, can I just say that I hope Musk ends up like Maxwell, in reputation of not physical health?

He is an utter sh*t, ridiculing Zelenesky and doing the bidding of those who gave him the money to buy Twitter. Too many people look up to him as some form of hero, working for the future of humanity. In reality, he is only interested in himself.

https://twitter.com/NatalkaKyiv/status/1708711776571760642
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2023
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

Dreadful BBC News at 6pm for the Tories .

Everytime Truss gets shown Sunak must weep .

Rish should throw her out.
    On what basis?
    Being a complete and utter moron? The voters of South West Norfolk deserve better...
    I admit I haven't read the disciplinary code for Tory MPs but, simply based on observed evidence, I hardly think being a complete and utter moron is likely to be included as a disqualifying matter.

Also, I've been to Thetford, and I'm not totally sure you're right.
  • Options

From the piece, about a leading investment bank:

"My job is quite intense and I regularly don’t leave the office until midnight. As a result, my firm allows us to expense evening meals up to £30 and taxis home which reduces my day-to-day expenses during the week significantly."

Up to £30 in central London?

Isn't that basically a kebab?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Given his recent tweets, can I just say that I hope Musk ends up like Maxwell, in reputation of not physical health?

He is an utter sh*t, ridiculing Zelenesky and doing the bidding of those who gave him the money to buy Twitter. Too many people look up to him as some form of hero, working for the future of humanity. In reality, he is only interested in himself.

If X just becomes his plaything, I don’t think many people will bother with it going forward
  • Options
    Roger said:

Best wishes Mike from one of your earliest posters. Hope this is a temporary break not a full retirement. There's still no one who writes headers better than yours

On a betting website, I wonder if some of your Oscars tips have made us more money than OGH's political tips, or DavidL's doorstep revelations in ?2017?, or the infamous SPREADSHEET.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

This thread says something similar.

Let's talk about what Reality TV Show actor Donald Trump has accomplished at the fraud trial he already lost today so far.

He told his cult going into the trial the judge that the judge was rogue and the prosecutor was racist. Few outlets reported on his slurred words...

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1708916237885968546

The BBC did exactly the same - they didn't report that a fraudster was in court; they reported Trump's account only.

FWIW, I'm still betting the crook will be unable to avoid justice.

• Options

THE TRUSS IS BACK

Are you Donald Trump in disguise?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

I keep contrasting the Cameron era of Tory government - how on earth have we got to this UKIP version of the party. Presumably the answer is Brexit

I think it's just because they know they're losing power next year so they're retreating to their base as party's at the end of their time in government and while they're in Opposition tend to do.

Whoever becomes leader and LOTO will have to move back to the center pretty sharpish if they want to have a chance of winning in 2029.
    When Bozo become Prime Minister I commented on here that he would be the last ever Tory PM...

The only reason that statement is incorrect is because Bozo didn't last the full length of this Parliament but it's obvious now that the Tory party has both a death wish and no idea what it's purpose is...
    But the voters, who are advised by the client media seem to gel with the idiocy. Despite some of the worst, most incompetent weeks of government in living memory the polls are closing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

THE TRUSS IS BACK

I AM DONALD TRUMP!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,561
    No barbequed babies? Standards really are slipping.
  • Options

No oven ready deals either...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

Biden is too old (it pains me to say) and it will all unravel during the campaign enough to just edge it for Trump.

No one in government across the western world should not be frantically preparing for the chaos of Trump 2.0.

You confidently predicted with similar certainty he would win last time.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996

Life comes fast etc...

She can try for President of the United States in about 50 years from now.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840

Mark Harper transport secretary has just said Tories will stop the "misuse of 15 minute cities" …
    "what is sinister is the idea of local councils deciding how often you can go to the shops".
    It is sinister. It’s also not remotely true…

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1708792200329372089

It’s not quite on the scale of the GOP embracing “Trump won in 2020”, but the Conservatives endorsing a frankly nutty conspiracy theory about 15 minute cities is very disheartening. Either they’re stupid enough to believe this nonsense, or they’re being incredibly cynical and playing with fire.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

THE TRUSS IS BACK

I AM DONALD TRUMP!
    Fake News! I am Donald Trump
  • Options

"My job is quite intense and I regularly don’t leave the office until midnight. As a result, my firm allows us to expense evening meals up to £30 and taxis home which reduces my day-to-day expenses during the week significantly."

He quotes a salad for £24 so I imagine it's something Delverooed. Anyway if he's not leaving the office until midnight, he's not going to a standard restaurant.

It's laughable that the Telegraph thinks anyone gives a shit about 'how he spends it'.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2023

I used to like Musk, but he's gone completely batshit crazy now. Spent too much time drinking koolaid with conspiracy theories and gone completely wacky, he's a good advert for the dangers of social media and extremism.

Not just that image mocking Zelensky, but also this ridiculous antivax one too: https://nitter.net/elonmusk/status/1708632465282150796
    There is a definitely a PhD in investigating the effect of social media on middle aged famous people which turns them into crazed nutter tw@ttering nonsense all day like some crack addict....
  • Options

He quotes a salad for £24 so I imagine it's something Delverooed. Anyway if he's not leaving the office until midnight, he's not going to a standard restaurant.

It's laughable that the Telegraph thinks anyone gives a shit about 'how he spends it'.
    The funny bit is that he does not mention once spending £3 or whatever buying a copy of the paper!!!
  • Options

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

But the voters, who are advised by the client media seem to gel with the idiocy. Despite some of the worst, most incompetent weeks of government in living memory the polls are closing.
    Attention seeking, bed wetting or reverse psychology?

In any case, mathematically I guess you will claim you are right.

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (-)
    CON: 29% (+1)
    LDEM: 12% (-1)
    REF: 7% (-1)
    GRN: 4% (-1)

via @RedfieldWilton, 01 Oct
  • Options

Mark Harper transport secretary has just said Tories will stop the "misuse of 15 minute cities" …
    "what is sinister is the idea of local councils deciding how often you can go to the shops".

It’s not quite on the scale of the GOP embracing “Trump won in 2020”, but the Conservatives endorsing a frankly nutty conspiracy theory about 15 minute cities is very disheartening. Either they’re stupid enough to believe this nonsense, or they’re being incredibly cynical and playing with fire.
    It makes me wonder what he thinks "15 minute cities" means.

15 minutes before your first-born is executed in a secret WOKE ceremony to progress WOKE plans to install a permanent LABOUR hegemony in Britain?

In which case, the current Conservative party are doing that job very, very well...
  • Options

I'm tending towards latter.
  • Options

Roger said:

Best wishes Mike from one of your earliest posters. Hope this is a temporary break not a full retirement. There's still no one who writes headers better than yours

On a betting website, I wonder if some of your Oscars tips have made us more money than OGH's political tips, or DavidL's doorstep revelations in ?2017?, or the infamous SPREADSHEET.
    Think you mean David Herdson, not David L.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Life comes fast etc...

She can try for President of the United States in about 50 years from now.
    That's good. Chapeau.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

No. You can get a decent feed for that. Some PBers’ perceptions of London life are completely off the wall.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2023

I remember posting a couple of years back that Musk reminded me of no one more than Maxwell. Ridiculed at the time but it's exactly how he's turning out.

(just found the comment in fact - four years ago)
  • Options
    Tory quotes from today.

"@maitlis

Mark Harper transport secretary has just said Tories will stop the “ misuse of 15 minute cities “ …
    “what is sinister is the idea of local councils deciding how often you can go to the shops “. It is sinister. It’s also not remotely true… #cpc23"

"@AdamBienkov

"The penny is dropping among people in Westminster that the Government doesn't run the Government," says Conservative MP Danny Kruger #CPC2023"

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1708778412150534226
  • Options

I used to like Musk, but he's gone completely batshit crazy now. Spent too much time drinking koolaid with conspiracy theories and gone completely wacky, he's a good advert for the dangers of social media and extremism.

Not just that image mocking Zelensky, but also this ridiculous antivax one too: https://nitter.net/elonmusk/status/1708632465282150796
    Indeed. I used to like Musk until I read Ashley Vance's hagiography of him. That was a warning sign. After the cave rescue debacle, I decided he was just another high-functioning idiot. Since then, I've amended that to him just being an idiot who takes in the gullible (as he did me, for a few years).

I *really* want to know who financed the Twitter buyout. Because it wasn't all Musk's money...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Tory quotes from today.

"@maitlis

Mark Harper transport secretary has just said Tories will stop the “ misuse of 15 minute cities “ …
    “what is sinister is the idea of local councils deciding how often you can go to the shops “. It is sinister. It’s also not remotely true… #cpc23"

"@AdamBienkov

"The penny is dropping among people in Westminster that the Government doesn't run the Government," says Conservative MP Danny Kruger #CPC2023"

Tories are heading into UK version of Trump whacko world of Q Anon unless saner heads, like William Hague, get a grip.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Apparently the Tories plan to ban the barbecuing of babies:

A senior spokesman has just said Tories will stop the "misuse barbecues in this manner to avoid the proposed meat tax, a tax which we have also banned."
  • Options

Indeed. I used to like Musk until I read Ashley Vance's hagiography of him. That was a warning sign. After the cave rescue debacle, I decided he was just another high-functioning idiot. Since then, I've amended that to him just being an idiot who takes in the gullible (as he did me, for a few years).

I *really* want to know who financed the Twitter buyout. Because it wasn't all Musk's money...
    Saudi's have a big chunk invested.
  • Options
    Is the Tory dislike for 15 minute cities that they are too convenient or too inconvenient? Would they prefer 20 minute cities or 10 minute cities? Help!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    I wish you the best Mike - from the bar of The Swan in Bedford. I may have a report from Mid-Bedfordshire tomorrow.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Tory quotes from today.

"@maitlis

"@AdamBienkov

Tories are heading into UK version of Trump whacko world of Q Anon unless saner heads, like William Hague, get a grip.
    Who are the Conservative voices that the party is in any mood to listen to?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Taz said:

Pro_Rata said:

Of course, TSE in charge signals the collapse of civilization as we know it.....

Italian media been reporting that the Campi Flegrei supervolcano has been grumbling more than at any time over the last few decades...
    Has it also confirmed Pineapple goes on a Pizza ?
    Careful - you might cause a VEI 7 eruption in PB Towers which will disrupt Global Warming for a little while.

It might be worth worrying if you are in Pozzuoli. There were about 80 quakes last Wednesday, it seems.
    The volcano in the Campi Flegrei is under the sea. So if it explodes it will be a tsunami which will destroy a large part of Campania and Southern Italy. And if Vesuvius goes ....

• Options
    I think we are currently seeing a physics experiment: Schrödinger's HS2. we won't know whether it is alive or dead until Sunak opens his box on the stage at the conference.

And on that thought, I bid you good nightmares...
  • Options

He was high functioning once upon a time.

Whether he still is, is very questionable. It seems more coasting now on what he had achieved, but he certainly achieved a lot before going crazy.

But he's absolutely going crazy.

Its not an entirely modern social media phenomenon, though social media doesn't help.

The person in history he most reminds me of is Howard Hughes.

One is a high functioning businessman and innovator, somewhat manic, who becomes increasingly eccentric and is ultimately known more for his eccentricities and how weird he became than what he had achieved and the other ...
  • Options

The funny bit is that he does not mention once spending £3 or whatever buying a copy of the paper!!!
    Well that's to his credit, I guess. Apart from that he sounds like an utter arse.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,618

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

The possibility is plain. Trump is (just) the favourite. Second favourite is aged 112. All other candidates out of sight in the betting.

Stuff is happening all the time you could not make up. Truss or Johnson could be Tory leader by the end of next year. With Trump as POTUS.
  • Options

I think we are currently seeing a physics experiment: Schrödinger's HS2. we won't know whether it is alive or dead until Sunak opens his box on the stage at the conference.

And on that thought, I bid you good nightmares...

It's certainly turning into a political catastrophe.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

The possibility is plain. Trump is (just) the favourite. Second favourite is aged 112. All other candidates out of sight in the betting.

Stuff is happening all the time you could not make up. Truss or Johnson could be Tory leader by the end of next year. With Trump as POTUS.
    Sure, there’s a possibility, but it’s the certainty of his prediction that rankles with me - especially as Rotten, a generally great poster, was wrong about this last time around!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,021
    The Tories are becoming GOPUK .

Paranoid , conspiracy theories etc . Unfortunately they won’t get the deserving wipe out at the next GE as they will ensure their pensioner vote is well looked after .

The UK has failed its younger people, burdened with debt if they go to university , priced out of buying a house , soaring rents .

And it’s not just the UK , other countries to a degree have equally let down this group .

What really annoys me is when older folk lecture younger people about why don’t they save more , and that in their day blah, blah, blah ...

Now the dream of a home becomes elusive , even if you try and save , the next year the cost of a deposit inches further away .
  • Options

Is the Tory dislike for 15 minute cities that they are too convenient or too inconvenient? Would they prefer 20 minute cities or 10 minute cities? Help!

Yes.

No problem with 15 minute towns or cities so long as its done without restricting people.

Places like Oxford have been putting in inconvenient restrictions in roads against driving to facilitate the 'convenience' of walking/cycling to a location.

Its the same discussion I've had before with Eabhal. If its done right, without restrictions, absolutely no qualms with that. If you start converting roads, blocking paths, trying to restrict people - then we have a problem.

Being able to walk to one shop in 15 minutes is no alternative to being able to drive to dozens of different shops of your choice within 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak has failed to hand over his WhatsApp messages from his time as chancellor to the Covid inquiry despite the high court ruling that ministers should disclose their communications for scrutiny.

In his witness statement to the public inquiry, seen by the Guardian, the prime minister claimed that he does “not have access” to the messages during the period running the Treasury because he had changed his phone several times and failed to back them up.

The inquiry, which begins hearing evidence on Tuesday for its second stage examining the government’s handling of the pandemic, had requested key communications sent during the pandemic, from the end of January 2020 to the end of February 2022.

Sunak became chancellor in February 2020 and his messages could include details of crucial pandemic decisions made by the Treasury including ‘eat out to help Out’, bounce back loans and the furlough scheme.

Boris Johnson faced fierce criticism when he said that he would hand over his pandemic WhatsApp messages only once government officials assessed the safety of the device he was forced to discard in April 2021 for security reasons. In July, his spokesperson said that the messages had now been retrieved and given to the inquiry.

However, the Guardian understands that Johnson has told the inquiry that he has been unable to access messages between 31 January and 7 June 2020, key dates in the first wave of the pandemic during which thousands of people died, despite the phone being in action until the following spring.

In the former prime minister’s witness statement, he suggests that other key players in the government at the time – which could include Sunak, Michael Gove and Matt Hancock – could hand over their phones with WhatsApp or Signal messages on them instead. It is unclear whether Johnson has yet handed over his diaries.

Matt Fowler, co-founder of Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice, said: “If Johnson and Sunak don’t provide the inquiry with the messages it has asked for, they need to face the full force of the law.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/sunak-fails-to-hand-whatsapp-messages-from-time-as-chancellor-to-covid-inquiry
  • Options
    Sunak: Today I will repeal the ban on it taking longer than 15 minutes to buy a pint of milk.
  • Options

Trump has his knokers..

I've been on t'Internet since 1988. Even back then, people who wrote in ALL CAPS were seen as a *certain* type of person... ;)
    Programmers?
    Nah that was pre-1983, on coding sheets. At least, for me it was.
    Is a coding sheet something like a punch card only bigger?
  • Options

Rishi Sunak has failed to hand over his WhatsApp messages from his time as chancellor to the Covid inquiry despite the high court ruling that ministers should disclose their communications for scrutiny.

In his witness statement to the public inquiry, seen by the Guardian, the prime minister claimed that he does “not have access” to the messages during the period running the Treasury because he had changed his phone several times and failed to back them up.

The inquiry, which begins hearing evidence on Tuesday for its second stage examining the government’s handling of the pandemic, had requested key communications sent during the pandemic, from the end of January 2020 to the end of February 2022.

Sunak became chancellor in February 2020 and his messages could include details of crucial pandemic decisions made by the Treasury including ‘eat out to help Out’, bounce back loans and the furlough scheme.

Boris Johnson faced fierce criticism when he said that he would hand over his pandemic WhatsApp messages only once government officials assessed the safety of the device he was forced to discard in April 2021 for security reasons. In July, his spokesperson said that the messages had now been retrieved and given to the inquiry.

However, the Guardian understands that Johnson has told the inquiry that he has been unable to access messages between 31 January and 7 June 2020, key dates in the first wave of the pandemic during which thousands of people died, despite the phone being in action until the following spring.

In the former prime minister’s witness statement, he suggests that other key players in the government at the time – which could include Sunak, Michael Gove and Matt Hancock – could hand over their phones with WhatsApp or Signal messages on them instead. It is unclear whether Johnson has yet handed over his diaries.

Matt Fowler, co-founder of Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice, said: “If Johnson and Sunak don’t provide the inquiry with the messages it has asked for, they need to face the full force of the law.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/sunak-fails-to-hand-whatsapp-messages-from-time-as-chancellor-to-covid-inquiry

Poundshop Boris?
  • Options

Sunak: Today I will repeal the ban on it taking longer than 15 minutes to buy a pint of milk.

At this rate, he'll either until it's curdled.

Then he'll be cheesed.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,980
    Leon said:

Ave atque vale Mike Smithson...

I know what you meant to say, but he's taking a bit of a break, not setting off into The Land Beyond. ("Ave atque vale" - "hail and farewell" - is usually used for the dead)
  • Options

Yes.

No problem with 15 minute towns or cities so long as its done without restricting people.

Places like Oxford have been putting in inconvenient restrictions in roads against driving to facilitate the 'convenience' of walking/cycling to a location.

Its the same discussion I've had before with Eabhal. If its done right, without restrictions, absolutely no qualms with that. If you start converting roads, blocking paths, trying to restrict people - then we have a problem.

Being able to walk to one shop in 15 minutes is no alternative to being able to drive to dozens of different shops of your choice within 15 minutes.
    I’m still unclear: are 15 minute cities too convenient or too inconvenient?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,915

Carnyx said:

Andy Street promises to fight against the cancellation of HS2 (and uses the appalling policy-wonk expression “grip”).

https://x.com/andy4wm/status/1708882135715664345

Not policy-wonk but Army. Get a grip, gripped as by a new-broom commanding officer, etc.
    That's surely a different usage. It's one thing to 'get a grip on the costs', but another to 'grip the costs'.
    No, that *is* the Army usage. One talks of an "idle" and "dirty" soldier being "gripped".

At a certain level of functioning, those are almost the only three adjectives a NCO, or officer, needs.
  • Options

Yes.

Yes.
  • Options

Poundshop Boris?
    Nah, Sunak's next job, aide to Rebekah Vardy.
  • Options
    What has happened to the Tories ?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,618

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

Sure, there’s a possibility, but it’s the certainty of his prediction that rankles with me - especially as Rotten, a generally great poster, was wrong about this last time around!
    Maybe being certain about that which is in fact only possible is the mental state of those who bet on anything at all. Every time you are right merely confirms the fallacy.

FWIW I have no sense of certainty at all about USA 2024. Just a very faint sense that the winner will be neither Biden nor Trump. But an equally compelling case, more or less, can be made for the three possibilities: Trump, Biden, ANOther.

And markets suggests more or less that - they are a fairly close three way split.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

If X just becomes his plaything, I don’t think many people will bother with it going forward
    I can barely use it any more. I was linked to a 'thread' yesterday and can only see the opening post which read along the lines of 'Interesting thing - a thread.'. But no way to view the thread as I can no longer see replies or comments on a post.

If I visit a profile I just see random tweets scattered across the years - no way to view what they've posted recently.

Sometimes I can't see anything and just get a 'Sign up!' page.

Which makes it extra annoying when people post copy
    n'paste @twitter_handle posts here and I have now literally zero chance of finding the tweet.
  • Options

THE TRUSS IS BACK

Is that because she got lost trying to find the front?
  • Options
    Sunak: Today I will repeal the ban on Harvester chain pubs on soulless retail estates in the arse-end of nowhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

THE TRUSS IS BACK

Sudden thoughts of 1960s medical appliance and rubber equipment shops in the sooty brick back streets of still-industrial cities.

Presumably because we'd end up back in that era, only without cash. Or industry.
  • Options

Wonder what happened to that probe NASA just returned to earth from it's trip to the mysterious asteroid. "OSIRIS-REX" was such a cuddly name too...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,305

Yes.

As long as you can use cash they’re fine.
  • Options

Yes.

Yes.
    I’m still confused. Unsurprisingly, some might say.
  • Options

Trump has his knokers..

I've been on t'Internet since 1988. Even back then, people who wrote in ALL CAPS were seen as a *certain* type of person... ;)
    Programmers?
    It's what you wrote the program on before it was keyed on to punched cards by the data prep ladies:

Respect. I retired from the fray after a brief exposure to Fortran.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2023
    The Tories, in their current incarnation, are missing almost everything.

* Coherence

* Competence

* Principles, or Consistency

* Moral Authority

* Professionalism

* Historical Awareness

* Innovative Thinking

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

Wonder what happened to that probe NASA just returned to earth from it's trip to the mysterious asteroid. "OSIRIS-REX" was such a cuddly name too...
    Should have been Osiris-Basileus anyway. Osiris was very definitely Hellenized rather than Romanized
  • Options

Trump has his knokers..

Programmers?
    It's what you wrote the program on before it was keyed on to punched cards by the data prep ladies:

Respect. I retired from the fray after a brief exposure to Fortran.
    We still have simulations running at work using Fortran'77.
  • Options
    Amol Rajan doing his Rishi impression on University Challenge - he needs a higher chair!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Best wishes and thank you Mike.
  • Options
    I was not on earlier so just responding to some of the comments on my header, specifically this from @148grss

"If people were previously hindered due to their race, there will have to be a period where they are prioritised to bring them to equity with others. You cannot just remove the hinderance and leave it be, because what is left is still what was created by the existence of the barriers. You do need to actively tackle those issues.

We can say the same for gender, class, sexuality, disability etc."

This is exactly what S.1 of the Equality Act seeks to do. So there is no need for a separate Race Equality Act. So my question remains unanswered.

Oh - and gender is not a protected characteristic. Sex is. I note that you do not list it. Women as a class have faced and face long-standing structural inequalities which need dealing with quite as much as for any other group. But Labour say nothing about them.

I know the focus atm is on HS2 and the Tories' implosion. But since Labour will almost inevitably become the next government some hard questions need to be asked now about their proposals. And I intend doing this from time to time.

I have some serious concerns about their approach to the Equality Act and women's rights. If anyone is interested you can read about this here -

https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/is-the-equality-act-safe/

and

https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/questions-questions/

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Inciting violence again.

Or vice versa ?
  • Options

They got taken over by UKIP and have turned into the same rabble that UKIP was.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    HYUFD said:

@montie
    @Nigel_Farage
    . He got quite the reception. I'm convinced party members would choose him as leader if they could.

The Tory membership is UKIP lite.

Until the Tory leadership deal with it as Starmer has, or Kinnock did, the Tories are destined for a long spell in opposition.

Ordinary decent Tories could help by joining or rejoining the party.
  • Options
    Tres said:

In further news from the bat-shit craziness from Manchester:

'Not all renters are "bad people" who smoke weed or are in gangs, the housing minister has said as she defended plans to strengthen renters' rights.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66978108

Genuine WTF?

That's 3 bizarre quotes from Tory MPs today.
  • Options

Imagine a political party as fentanyl addict...
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,168

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

@montie
    @Nigel_Farage

Think it's quite possible he will try to become a Tory MP soon.
    Someone was asking on here the other day, might have been DavidL, about what happened to Cameron’s lovely green, centrist, hug-a-hoodie non-nasty party Tories?

Well, Brexit happened. The loons metastasized. The chimera of a pain free Brexit, the expelling of sane voices counselling caution, it’s led to the shambles we’re witnessing now. Levelling up is dead. HS2 is dead. Taxes are high, inflation is high. Brexit is costing us billions. We are poorer, we have fewer rights, we have a Telegraph columnist(!) bemoaning how useless their British passport is - fortunately for the columnist in question they managed to finagle themselves an EU passport. I should be so lucky.

And now the lunatics want Farage to be their leader.

Suppose in 2010 Brown managed to hang on and do a deal with the Lib Dems. A few months later David Miliband becomes PM and in 2015 he wins an overall majority at the General Election.
    Unfortunately the left of the party have become quite rebellious, so Miliband decides to try and appease them by having a referendum on bringing back Clause 4 - and rather than it being just limited to Labour members, he opens it out to the entire electorate. Because I kind of like the idea of the railways being brought back into public ownership, and can't imagine that if Labour bring it back it will literally mean a Labour government will try and nationalise literally everything. A bunch of Labour moderates try to warn me what will happen, but I ignore them and vote for the old Clause 4 to be brought back. It narrowly wins and David Miliband resigns as PM....
    Seven Years Later
    I watch in horror as PM Richard Burgon announces that M&S is to be brought under public ownership, that the UK will leave NATO, and Ukraine should secede everything east of Lviv to appease Putin. The party is heading for deserved electoral annihilation and I wonder how on earth it has fallen so low...

A lot of centre-right PB Tories really should have known better and realised what would have happened to the moderate wing of the party if they voted for Brexit.
This discussion has been closed.