Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak’s way out line with opinion with his 20 MPH pledge – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Holiday homes in Conwy about to experience large council tax increases, which I would suggest is largely supported by the residents of the County:-

One North Wales council could soon be charging the highest second homes tax in the country. Councillors on Conwy council will be asked in the coming weeks to decide on the level of Council Tax Premium on second homes and long term empty homes for 2024/25.

The rate is currently 50% but the recommendation is to move to 100% by April 2024. This move is fairly in line with some other counties and below the 150% charged in Gwynedd.

But members will also be asked to recommend an indicative level of premium of 200% on second and empty homes from April 1 2025. The maximum that can be charged under Welsh Government rules is 300%.

What’s the rate in Ynys Mon?
    As far as I am aware +75% this year rising to +100% in 2024
  • Regardless of the merits or otherwise of 20mph on residential streets, what business is it of Sunak's? If local councils (or the Welsh government) impose them, then voters can exercise their views via the ballot box (as they did in Brighton recently, to an extent).
    Democracy is a key British value, Rishi.

Yes. What is local democracy for? Does Britain need to have Whitehall deciding on whether a residential road is 20mph or 30mph?

It's the smallest of small beans when the deficit is so large, the NHS waiting lists so long, there's a major war in Europe, inflation is still high, there's a chronic shortage of housing and myriad other problems and opportunities.

But, yeah, the Prime Minister is setting the speed limit on Acacia Avenue, and ensuring that the pothole on the way to Tesco is filled. Rishi's priorities.
    This post reminds me of so many others mocking right-wingers for 'obsessing about the culture wars', which translated accurately means 'Please step aside and let our side win the culture wars'.

20mph limits, LTNs, Ulez, ICE bans etc. are not spontaneous strokes of genius on the part of local councils; they are part of a wide ranging and powerful campaign against car ownership specifically and personal freedom more generally. I'm glad that the PM is taking a stand against it, whether or not it's a totally synthetic grab for red wall votes.
  • From a very strong lead for Yes at the start it looks like The Voice is going down to a very strong defeat by No in Australia, showing the dangers and unpredictability of referendum campaigns - even those with initial massive leads.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,491

rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

Lennon said:

Andy_JS said:

Dianne Feinstein, Oldest Senator and a Fixture of California Politics, Dies at 90

NY Times

RIP. What's the procedure for selecting a new senator?
    "Gov. Gavin Newsom, who will chose someone to fill her seat." NY Times
    That is going to be interesting given how many their put their names forward
    It's separate to the regular election which is going on at the moment. Newsom has already said he'll appoint a black woman, and that he doesn't want to influence the eventual election; so that almost certainly means a caretaker who'll serve out the remainder of the term (until end of next year) and then step aside.
    Cue appointing Kamala Harris and giving Biden an excuse to replace her on the ticket next year?
    No way, it’s time for Markle to sparkle.
    That's actually a brilliant plan.

If Meghan Markle were to become the Junior Democratic Senator for California then Donald Trump would have an aneurism, thus taking him out of the race for next US President, and saving American democracy.

Governor Newsom, you know it makes sense.
    Or they could appoint Trump's niece who sees him for what he is or for the laughs Stormy Daniels.
    I once worked with Stormy Peters and, given its not a very common name, still do a double take when I see Stormy Daniels mentioned.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,384

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Sunak is hopeless.

At least Boris had drive, pun intended.

He must be gutted to be so hopeless. He’s just a millionaire who married a billionaire and became PM after a successful career and a high achieving university education. I guess as he looks down from his helicopter a tiny tear rolls down his tiny face thinking he could have achieved the state of keeping boiled water in a thermos and haranguing people with his stick in supermarkets. What a loser he is.
    Your spirited defence of our worst ever PM is touching. They certainly seem to breed them loyal at your school, if managing to impart few other skills.
    You have to support a jun man when he is troubled. Keep the criticism in house. I’m just gutted that I can’t whip support behind John Whittingdale or fillet the critics of Marcus Fysh and tell people Alex Chalk is whiter than white. As Bingo Little would say, “but we were at school together Bertie”.

Sadly I missed producing a word salad in support of Giles Radice or explaining the “why” about Howe. Gow has gone and Cripps is in his crypt., Gaitskell’s skills were for nothing so I must take vicarious joys from one old wykehamist.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,260

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of 20mph on residential streets, what business is it of Sunak's? If local councils (or the Welsh government) impose them, then voters can exercise their views via the ballot box (as they did in Brighton recently, to an extent).

Yes. What is local democracy for? Does Britain need to have Whitehall deciding on whether a residential road is 20mph or 30mph?

It's the smallest of small beans when the deficit is so large, the NHS waiting lists so long, there's a major war in Europe, inflation is still high, there's a chronic shortage of housing and myriad other problems and opportunities.

But, yeah, the Prime Minister is setting the speed limit on Acacia Avenue, and ensuring that the pothole on the way to Tesco is filled. Rishi's priorities.
    This post reminds me of so many others mocking right-wingers for 'obsessing about the culture wars', which translated accurately means 'Please step aside and let our side win the culture wars'.

20mph limits, LTNs, Ulez, ICE bans etc. are not spontaneous strokes of genius on the part of local councils; they are part of a wide ranging and powerful campaign against car ownership specifically and personal freedom more generally. I'm glad that the PM is taking a stand against it, whether or not it's a totally synthetic grab for red wall votes.
    [Pedantic counterpoint deleted.]
  • Andy_JS said:

Dianne Feinstein, Oldest Senator and a Fixture of California Politics, Dies at 90

NY Times

And can Newsom appoint himself?
    It's all a bit arguable. Governors have stepped in as Senator before, but not at the same time and I think the mechanism they tend to use is to step down as Governor on the basis their Lieutenant Governor (who'd succeed them in those circumstances) immediately appoints them Senator.

The incompatibility clause in the US Constitution isn't terribly clear on whether you can do both jobs at the same time. It's never been tested and I very much doubt Newsom would be the one to do so in that it could be rather embarrassing, and he's said he'd appoint a black female caretaker. It also isn't really a promotion, and the logistics of doing both on opposite sides of the country are a bit silly. So it won't happen.
  • Jim Pickard 🐋
    @PickardJE
    ·
    2h
    Boris Johnson takes a massive swipe at Rishi Sunak’s plan to axe the northern part of Hs2

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1707790854881001937
  • I'm guessing the Mail did not want Johnson's copy this afternoon.

Doesn't fit their worldview.

• Jim Pickard 🐋
    @PickardJE
    ·
    2h
    Boris Johnson takes a massive swipe at Rishi Sunak’s plan to axe the northern part of Hs2

Who ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,989

Jim Pickard 🐋
    @PickardJE
    ·
    2h

Is there a projected popcorn shortage for this conference, or extra supplies laid on?
  • Regardless of the merits or otherwise of 20mph on residential streets, what business is it of Sunak's? If local councils (or the Welsh government) impose them, then voters can exercise their views via the ballot box (as they did in Brighton recently, to an extent).

Please don't misrepresent me. My argument is that this is a proper topic for debate at a local level and local elections. Let the Tories, or independents, or whoever else, advocate for faster road speeds in their local area. If they can win the debate then that's democracy.

The Prime Minister has more important things to do. The sale of new ICE cars is properly within his ambit, and though I disagreed with his policy decision on that I didn't say it wasn't.
  • AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Selebian said:

On topic, that's very outdated polling. There was a big polling majority for staying in the EU 2000-2009, wasn't there? Hell, there was a polling majority in favour of Labour governments for much of that period, too.

I think I've seen more up to date polling on 20mph limits (and in favour) so it's an odd graph to use.

Sure, but the results have been pretty stable over time. This question is now part of the National Transport Attitudes survey rather than BSA, and the most recent data I easily found was from 2020:

I don't see any reason why it would have changed significantly since then.
    That’s a pretty leading question
    "To what extent are you in favour of having speed limits of 20 miles per hour in residential streets?"

How is that leading?
    By calling the streets residential. Which is not what the law applies to.

A cul de sac on a residential estate is what I'd call a residential street.

Main arterial through roads through town are not what I'd consider a residential street.
  • The idea Gen Z are all vegetarian and vegan is bullshit.

I've just seen a sign-up list of 65 of them for an event I'm running that asks about special dietary requirements and only 9 are vegetarian or vegan (only 4 are vegan).

Everyone else? Normal.

Best not to get into the habit calling meat-eaters 'normal', therefore insinuating that veggie/vegan people are, in some way, abnormal.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,239

From a very strong lead for Yes at the start it looks like The Voice is going down to a very strong defeat by No in Australia, showing the dangers and unpredictability of referendum campaigns - even those with initial massive leads.

I predict that it will be blamed on hate speech and misinformation by 'NO', heavily influenced by Russia.
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Sunak is hopeless.

He must be gutted to be so hopeless. He’s just a millionaire who married a billionaire and became PM after a successful career and a high achieving university education. I guess as he looks down from his helicopter a tiny tear rolls down his tiny face thinking he could have achieved the state of keeping boiled water in a thermos and haranguing people with his stick in supermarkets. What a loser he is.
    Your spirited defence of our worst ever PM is touching. They certainly seem to breed them loyal at your school, if managing to impart few other skills.
    You have to support a jun man when he is troubled. Keep the criticism in house. I’m just gutted that I can’t whip support behind John Whittingdale or fillet the critics of Marcus Fysh and tell people Alex Chalk is whiter than white. As Bingo Little would say, “but we were at school together Bertie”.

Sadly I missed producing a word salad in support of Giles Radice or explaining the “why” about Howe. Gow has gone and Cripps is in his crypt., Gaitskell’s skills were for nothing so I must take vicarious joys from one old wykehamist.
    They seem to have ruined him sending him there tbh. He should have gone to Eton to do unspeakable things to pigs. Would have given him that oily confidence and a less odd, brittle vibe.

Jim Pickard 🐋
    @PickardJE
    ·
    2h

Who ?
    You know. Did HIGNFY a couple of times. Matt Lucas impersonated him. Likes cake. Was popular a few years ago. Was he an influencer or something?
  • Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of 20mph on residential streets, what business is it of Sunak's? If local councils (or the Welsh government) impose them, then voters can exercise their views via the ballot box (as they did in Brighton recently, to an extent).

I'm fairly sure Lancashire County Council (which covers a population not that much smallet than that of Wales) introduced something similar a few years back to almost no reaction whatsoever.
    But then, Lancashire County Council don't have Mark Drakeford.
    They did?

News to me if so, and I drive a lot in Lancashire.

Maybe if they did it was in cul de sacs only and not through roads, which is entirely reasonable. Or maybe you've got wrong end of the stick?
    https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/council/strategies-policies-plans/roads-parking-and-travel/20mph-areas/

I don't know how all-pervasive this is. But then I also don't know how all-pervasive it is in Wales.
    The 20mph limits have been put in place in main residential areas and outside schools and not on major through-routes so traffic can keep moving efficiently.

So they've done it sensibly.

Schools? Fair enough.
    Residential areas? Fair enough.
    Through roads? Don't be silly.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,653
    AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Selebian said:

On topic, that's very outdated polling. There was a big polling majority for staying in the EU 2000-2009, wasn't there? Hell, there was a polling majority in favour of Labour governments for much of that period, too.

I think I've seen more up to date polling on 20mph limits (and in favour) so it's an odd graph to use.

Sure, but the results have been pretty stable over time. This question is now part of the National Transport Attitudes survey rather than BSA, and the most recent data I easily found was from 2020:

"To what extent are you in favour of having speed limits of 20 miles per hour in residential streets?"

How is that leading?
    Well it doesn't mention what the alternative is. Is it no speed limits? That's why I was interested to see the same question for 30 miles per hour.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,502
    @KateEMcCann

NEW: A group of 30+ Tories have signed a pledge refusing to “vote for or support any new taxes that increase the overall tax burden” putting pressure on the PM and Chancellor on the eve of Tory conference -

Don't forget the £10k grants for new chessboards.

I do find it ironic that those who accused Johnson of lying, cheating, and not suitable for the office of PM ( which was a fair judgment) are now quoting him against Sunak

Politics hey

Well Johnson does have a point about cutting HS2 being a mad idea.
  • Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

NEW: A group of 30+ Tories have signed a pledge refusing to “vote for or support any new taxes that increase the overall tax burden” putting pressure on the PM and Chancellor on the eve of Tory conference -

Too right. Who hasn't signed it is my question.

I've just seen a sign-up list of 65 of them for an event I'm running that asks about special dietary requirements and only 9 are vegetarian or vegan (only 4 are vegan).

Everyone else? Normal.

Best not to get into the habit calling meat-eaters 'normal', therefore insinuating that veggie/vegan people are, in some way, abnormal.
    Something common to 86% of a population is pretty much the definition of normal.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,975
    edited September 2023

I do find it ironic that those who accused Johnson of lying, cheating, and not suitable for the office of PM ( which was a fair judgment) are now quoting him against Sunak

Politics hey

I still think Johnson is all those things but he is right on this issue . And of course if he causes trouble for Sunak all the better .
  • RobD said:

Politics hey

It depends on the details but Sunak should not have got into the position of being ambiguous

He and Downing Street have little or no political nous
  • Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

30+ Tories? That must be pretty much all of them, surely?
  • Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

I simply do not see Sunak or Hunt imposing any more taxes even though they are poor at politics
    It’s funny how the government is trying to walk away from the HS2 fiasco as if it’s nothing to do with them . They’ve been doing this for years . They act as if all those previous Tory administrations were nothing to do with them .

Oh for goodness sake.

It's not some multi-tentacled conspiracy against the driver to think it's all just a bit demeaning and basically f***ing stupid for the PM of an important country with a seat on the G8 and UN Security Council to be d1cking about with how fast people can drive down Runcorn high street, how strictly box junction infringements are enforced in High Wycombe, and the finer details of traffic management orders introducing a one way system in Portmeirion.

Indeed, it's perfectly possible to take the view that traffic should be less restricted in a local area, but still to think it's more sensible for that to be something to call up the town hall about and rant at Cllr Bob Nobody over, rather than making it a thing for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

You sound like one of those loons who insists on cc-ing in the Home Secretary, Archbishop of Canterbury, Chairman of the BBC, and David Attenborough when you're making a complaint about slightly inadequate autumn gully clearance by the Council on Acacia Avenue.
  • Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

I simply do not see Sunak or Hunt imposing any more taxes even though they are poor at politics
    Let us hope not. Finding some savings would be good!

boulay said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Sunak is hopeless.

They seem to have ruined him sending him there tbh. He should have gone to Eton to do unspeakable things to pigs. Would have given him that oily confidence and a less odd, brittle vibe.
    I don’t understand his brittleness to be honest. From day one you are mercilessly attacked, over breakfast, lunch, dinner, in the dorms. You say something and you are ripped if it’s your day to be ripped. You find yourself being pummelled in an argument from a veggie that eating meat is correct.

Every day for five years he should have been used to people arguing just for the sake of arguing and especially arguing in favour of something you don’t believe so he should be absolutely used to it. The moment you lose your cool you lose. He was in a really wet nothing house.

But I do think he’s clearly intelligent in a way where you can nail exams and especially maths but just lacks guile and nastiness. He must have managed to hide for five years at school as he’s a bit un-Wykehamist, he’s not a weird freaky intellectual or a nasty bitch. I’m obviously the former.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,696

rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

Lennon said:

Andy_JS said:

NY Times

"Gov. Gavin Newsom, who will chose someone to fill her seat." NY Times
    That is going to be interesting given how many their put their names forward
    It's separate to the regular election which is going on at the moment. Newsom has already said he'll appoint a black woman, and that he doesn't want to influence the eventual election; so that almost certainly means a caretaker who'll serve out the remainder of the term (until end of next year) and then step aside.
    Cue appointing Kamala Harris and giving Biden an excuse to replace her on the ticket next year?
    No way, it’s time for Markle to sparkle.
    That's actually a brilliant plan.

If Meghan Markle were to become the Junior Democratic Senator for California then Donald Trump would have an aneurism, thus taking him out of the race for next US President, and saving American democracy.

Governor Newsom, you know it makes sense.
    Or they could appoint Trump's niece who sees him for what he is or for the laughs Stormy Daniels.
    Thats actually a good idea. The first one that is. Mary Trump is incendiary about uncle Donald. The family fratricide would be quite a spectacle.

Everyone else? Normal.

But meat eaters are normal. And natural too, we evolved canines for a reason.

I didn't think it was polite to call vegans freaks anymore?
  • Next on the Tory agenda: a campaign to reverse the change in the Highway Code giving pedestrians priority crossing side roads.

It undermines the right of "Motorists" to scare the shit out of pensioners on their way to the Post Office.

Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

No need as fiscal drag is taxing more people with existing taxes.
  • darkage said:

Sunak probably spends £10k on his cheeseboard.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Selebian said:

How is that leading?
    By calling the streets residential. Which is not what the law applies to.

A cul de sac on a residential estate is what I'd call a residential street.

Main arterial through roads through town are not what I'd consider a residential street.
    But they're asking the question as part of an ongoing effort to track people's attitudes to local road management and conditions. They're not asking about any specific law or the application of it.

In law, a 20 mph street is one that has a designated speed limit of 20 mph. And, sure, perhaps they might also have asked "To what extent are you in favour of having speed limits of 20 miles per hour on streets which have a designated speed limit of 20 miles per hour", but I don't think it would be nearly so useful!

As for cul de sacs, it happens that they also asked a question about those - but they're much less popular:

(The question asked was "To what extent are you in favour of closing residential streets to through traffic?")
  • darkage said:

To be accurate, he's not that generous - it's capped at £2,500.

All Councils need to do is simply ensure they are one of the local authorities eligible for the Levelling Up Parks Fund, read the prospectus carefully, assess the most appropriate location from a range of options locally, complete the EOI form in triplicate, sign the funding agreement, then await news of whether they are getting a few hundred quid. Then it's just a question of installing it, submitting relevant receipts, going through a straightforward audit process, and Rishi's your uncle.
  • RobD said:

Politics hey

It depends on the details but Sunak should not have got into the position of being ambiguous

He and Downing Street have little or no political nous
    HS2-curious?
    @MrHarryCole

NEW: PM on future of HS2:

"I've got under the bonnet. I've seen what works, what doesn't work and what I want to do differently. That's the phase we're in.

If do this job, you're got to be fine with criticism ... But I'm doing what I think is right.."

Everyone else? Normal.

IMO it's not really polite to call anyone 'freak' any more, at least on such a wide basis.

I'd argue meat eating is *not* 'normal'; at least in the way many of us eat meat nowadays. Even going back 100 years, meat was a treat once a week for many in this country; and when we did eat meat, we'd eat much more of the animal (*). Yes, we have evolved to eat meat *occasionally*; but instead, for many of us, every meal has to have meat. And you can, with just a little care, be perfectly healthy as a vegetarian.

(*) Poor-quality sausages aside...

Everyone else? Normal.

Especially on "Hug a Vegan Day"!

The one thing I would say is that they don't have an answer for how Trump is so popular. Perhaps his popularity is not entirely because of Russian trolls; the approach to debate and free speech from the left may also have something to do with it.

• Heathener said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Sunak is hopeless.

Rather an unnecessarily snide response, if I may say but de rigueur for the macho posturing on here, which is why I seldom frequent the site after my morning cuppa.

I have had huge success in my life if we assess a life by such measures as public profile, influence, impact etc. but you know nothing of this because I never talk about it, and remain behind a VPN.

Of course, I didn't marry a husband with millions upon millions and nor did I become a member of parliament. But, then, I have little but contempt for both. They do not bring happiness.

Nevertheless, we must judge people according to what they set out to achieve. As a Prime Minister (if not as a husband, father, wealth inheritor, wealth creator, Wykehamist, mathematician, headboy) Rishi Sunak is an abysmal failure. One of the worst Prime Ministers of my lifetime, even by recent low standards. An unelected Prime Minister who is utterly useless at the one job by which we, the ordinary voter, must assess him.

On the only thing which actually now matters: the job for which he will be marked, he gets 0/100.

Why on earth include that parentheses? It looks like that’s exactly what are are saying in a snide and unpleasant way

Everyone else? Normal.

Especially on "Hug a Vegan Day"!
    They're surely a bit brittle bonewise for that to be a good idea. Perhaps just give them a gentle affirming touch on the arm.

Everyone else? Normal.

Lion: "That's not a canine"
    [opens mouth] "THAT'S a canine!"
    There is going to be an actual cones hotline...

@MrHarryCole

First look at the "Plan for Drivers":

Councils in England face clampdown on;
    - new LTNS
    - blanket 20mph zones
    - using traffic offences to boost budgets with “over zealous” enforcement
    - charges hiked on utility firms who dig up roads in peak times
  • I do find it ironic that those who accused Johnson of lying, cheating, and not suitable for the office of PM ( which was a fair judgment) are now quoting him against Sunak

Politics hey

Didn't have you down as a Boris fan!
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

- new LTNS
    - blanket 20mph zones

Given that the charges seem to already exist, surely it would just be a simple change of the rate?

Everyone else? Normal.

IMO it's not really polite to call anyone 'freak' any more, at least on such a wide basis.

I'd argue meat eating is *not* 'normal'; at least in the way many of us eat meat nowadays. Even going back 100 years, meat was a treat once a week for many in this country; and when we did eat meat, we'd eat much more of the animal (*). Yes, we have evolved to eat meat *occasionally*; but instead, for many of us, every meal has to have meat. And you can, with just a little care, be perfectly healthy as a vegetarian.

Evolution had set in long before the Victorian poor couldn't afford meat very often. We'd have eaten a lot of meat every time we managed to take down a mammoth, and precious little of anything in between. Feast or famine. Keto with intermittent fasting would be the nearest modern diet.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,407
    edited September 2023
    Heathener said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Sunak is hopeless.

Rather an unnecessarily snide response, if I may say but de rigueur for the macho posturing on here, which is why I seldom frequent the site after my morning cuppa.

I have had huge success in my life if we assess a life by such measures as public profile, influence, impact etc. but you know nothing of this because I never talk about it, and remain behind a VPN.

Of course, I didn't marry a husband with millions upon millions and nor did I become a member of parliament. But, then, I have little but contempt for both. They do not bring happiness.

Nevertheless, we must judge people according to what they set out to achieve. As a Prime Minister (if not as a husband, father, wealth inheritor, wealth creator, Wykehamist, mathematician, headboy) Rishi Sunak is an abysmal failure. One of the worst Prime Ministers of my lifetime, even by recent low standards. An unelected Prime Minister who is utterly useless at the one job by which we, the ordinary voter, must assess him.

On the only thing which actually now matters: the job for which he will be marked, he gets 0/100.

No he isn't. Since he became PM Rishi has cut inflation, grown the economy, got a deal with the EU to remove checks on goods coming to and from NI and slightly improved the Tory poll rating.

Even if he loses Sunak will still be far from the worst PM in my lifetime even if obviously no Thatcher, Blair, Attlee or Churchill.

By the way Heathener, you aren't Carol Vorderman by any chance?
  • AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Selebian said:

How is that leading?
    It gives no point of reference - the implication is that the alternative is no speed limit

(Leading was probably the wrong technical term but I think it could well give a distorted answer which was my actual point)

• Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

- new LTNS
    - blanket 20mph zones

So unimpeded progress through 30mph rat runs, and no ticket if you do 40.

Splendid.

Everyone else? Normal.

Something common to 86% of a population is pretty much the definition of normal.
    Only uncivilised savages eat meat! :trollface:
    Farooq said:

The idea Gen Z are all vegetarian and vegan is bullshit.

Everyone else? Normal.

Huh? Gorillas and chimpanzees are largely* herbivorous and insectivorous and they have large canines than we do.

Our canines can't bite through raw hide and are really not well adapted to flesh. On top of that, we lack other traits of meat-eating animals like claws that can tear through muscle. I've a couple of ex girlfriends who could give a nasty scratch but no more so even than a cat that weighs a tenth of the average human.

*Chimps do eat a small quantity of meat, up to 2%.
    Also we didn’t “evolve canines” as they are something we haven’t had enough time to “devolve” since they were a requirement for long distant ancestors. They are a hangover rather than an evolutionary development as humans (in various forms) developed.

Everyone else? Normal.

What do civilised savages eat?

Everyone else? Normal.

We evolved to be able to eat meat, but we also evolved to be able not to eat meat. We're evolved NOT to be obligate carnivores but to have the choice as to how we get our nutrients.

The specialism of humans - our evolutionary niche - is to be flexible and adaptable - we're evolved to have options and the mental capacity to exercise them. As such, we can survive in diverse environments including places with varying sources of food, and in cultures with different views on what is appropriate to eat.

As such, it's equally "natural" to be a vegetarian or not.

I'm not, by the way, I just think you're wrong in a philosophical sense about what it means to be able (but crucially not required) to include meat in our diet in terms of what is "natural".

Everyone else? Normal.

Uncivilised savages? Hence making them uncivilised savages? ;)
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

- new LTNS
    - blanket 20mph zones

FFS. First as tragedy then as farce...

Everyone else? Normal.

Evolution had set in long before the Victorian poor couldn't afford meat very often. We'd have eaten a lot of meat every time we managed to take down a mammoth, and precious little of anything in between. Feast or famine. Keto with intermittent fasting would be the nearest modern diet.
    Do you have decent sources for that claim?
    edited September 2023

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

- new LTNS
    - blanket 20mph zones

So unimpeded progress through 30mph rat runs, and no ticket if you do 40.

Splendid.
    Maybe Sunak will be introducing Death Race 2023. There can be a weekly prize for how many pedestrians you kill or maim. You get a bonus if you can take out two pedestrians in one go or a baby in a buggy !

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Sunak is hopeless.

No he isn't. Since he became PM Rishi has cut inflation, grown the economy, got a deal with the EU to remove checks on goods coming to and from NI and slightly improved the Tory poll rating.

Even if he loses Sunak will still be far from the worst PM in my lifetime even if obviously no Thatcher, Blair, Attlee or Churchill.

By the way Heathener, you aren't Carol Vorderman by any chance?
    Can’t be Carol Vorderman as otherwise there would be loads of social media of Carol going up to random strangers for an hour long discussion about politics every day whilst they are shopping and eating cake and declaring a Tory wipeout over a nice slice of lemon drizzle. And if Carol started hitting people with her stick for not wearing a mask it would be news.
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

"I've got under the bonnet. I've seen what works, what doesn't work and what I want to do differently. That's the phase we're in.

If do this job, you're got to be fine with criticism ... But I'm doing what I think is right.."

He's taking ownership of this muddle, then.

I suppose that's good in a way - he's not blaming others, or saying that it's a trial balloon that's got out of hand, or claiming that the media have invented it, or any of the other excuses that people have floated on his behalf.

On the other hand, there's the sheer arrogance of it!

15 years of planning and reports and debates. A Public Inquiry. Three sets of legislation, two of which have already been passed and are now law. Contracts signed, capital equipment bought, and preparatory work undertaken. The Oakervee Review, which provided final advice on whether and how to proceed on the eve of the main phase of construction. Construction underway, rolling stock purchase agreed, production lines being built. Tunnelling 82% complete.

And Risible Rishi sits alone one evening, taps some numbers into a spreadsheet, and decides to upend the whole fucking thing!
    @RobDotHutton

"Actually, Red Wall voters hate being able to walk to the shops."
    Farooq said:

Conservatives: Sadiq Khan spent so long thinking about cars that a 15 year old girl was stabbed or something

also Conservatives: cars cars cars cars cars cars cars cars CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS

Gary Newman endorses this message.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,373
    edited September 2023
    Another one:

"A man in his 60s has been arrested by officers investigating the felling of the world-famous Sycamore Gap tree, police say"

World-famous stretching it a bit, but the BBC love a story like this.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,654

Politics hey

It's that notion of a stopped clock being correct twice a day.
    carnforth said:

Another one:

"A man in his 60s has been arrested by officers investigating the felling of the world-famous Sycamore Gap tree, police say"

Could be worse - imagine if in December some vandal in Norway chops down a fucking huge pine and rubs it in everyone’s face by sticking it in Trafalgar Square as a big two fingers to the environment.
    AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

He's taking ownership of this muddle, then.

I suppose that's good in a way - he's not blaming others, or saying that it's a trial balloon that's got out of hand, or claiming that the media have invented it, or any of the other excuses that people have floated on his behalf.

On the other hand, there's the sheer arrogance of it!

15 years of planning and reports and debates. A Public Inquiry. Three sets of legislation, two of which have already been passed and are now law. Contracts signed, capital equipment bought, and preparatory work undertaken. The Oakervee Review, which provided final advice on whether and how to proceed on the eve of the main phase of construction. Construction underway, rolling stock purchase agreed, production lines being built. Tunnelling 82% complete.

And Risible Rishi sits alone one evening, taps some numbers into a spreadsheet, and decides to upend the whole fucking thing!
    And again, where is the Secretary of State for Transport? He was in Peterborough two days ago to op GBRailfreight's maintenance hub. His previous outing was two weeks before, to complain about ULEZ.

Has he nothing to say about this? This is by far the biggest project that his department is responsible for - the most important thing it's done this century. But fuck 'em, Rishi has a pivot table.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,598

boulay said:

carnforth said:

Another one:

Could be worse - imagine if in December some vandal in Norway chops down a fucking huge pine and rubs it in everyone’s face by sticking it in Trafalgar Square as a big two fingers to the environment.
    Don't pine for spruce

• ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,581

The idea Gen Z are all vegetarian and vegan is bullshit.

Everyone else? Normal.

Pineapple on pizza.
  • New thread

• carnforth said:

Another one:

Perhaps we were right to wonder how a 16 year-old was an experienced tree feller, and also managed to drive himself to the middle of nowhere, and wasn't it convenient that at his age he'd get a slapped wrist.
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

Conservatives: Sadiq Khan spent so long thinking about cars that a 15 year old girl was stabbed or something

also Conservatives: cars cars cars cars cars cars cars cars CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS

Gary Newman endorses this message.
    Gary Oldman (born 21 March 1958) is younger than Gary Numan (born 8 March 1958).

Everyone else? Normal.

People

“If God hadn’t meant us to eat people he wouldn’t have made them of meat”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjAHw2DEBgw

This discussion has been closed.