Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » EXCLUSIVE: Survation has Mark Reckless moving to a 15% lead

Comments

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    philiph said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

"Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think."

Talking of mental sickness is there no one who can put a stop to this man's prurient obsession? It's rapidly making this site unreadable.

@PBModerator Am I allowed to defend myself here?
    Whilst none of my concern, I do wonder why people bother with personal defence on an anonymous internet forum. Nobody cares about the personal insults or the defence against them.
    Just wondering if it possible to defame someone who posts under a pseudonym? I freely acknowledge you can defame known people, people known despite their usernames and third party non-posters. I am equally sure it is impossible to defame groups e.g. "Catholics"
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

Depressing. It must be a horrible thought that you share your living space with so many who share the values of UKIP.

Yep. Must be like PB, only in real life. Grubby and nasty. Yuck.
    Ugh. People who think differently. Yuck.
    Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think.
    It's similar to Sir Peter Hall hating Margaret Thatcher because she bought clothes from M & S. It's a kind of Pavlovian reaction that bien pensants have for the English lower middle and working classes.

While there's no shortage of hatred for various political parties - I make no secret of my deep dislike of Labour - people normally have a rational reason for this based on that party's actions in government.

But the visceral hatred of UKIP by much of the middle class is different. With UKIP not having been in government, either nationally or locally, there's no reason to hate them for their actions. Or at least not yet.

Instead the hatred is for what they are and who their voters are.

The wwc.

The role of class politics and the hatred of people different to you should not be underestimated.

As this becomes more apparent we're likely to see voting blocks solidify in Britain:

'progressive' & public sector middle class = Labour
    conservative & private sector middle class = Conservative
    wwc = UKIP

In Scotland the SNP will, I suspect, increasingly pick up the wwc vote.

The WWC does not equal UKIP or vice versa.

UKIP is a party led by upper middle class public schoolboys, whose last leader was on old Etonian Lord. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing to the WWC (if such labels are meaningful anymore).

I do not hate kippers whether Public School ex Tory MPs or WWC electricians, but I do dislike their views of the world and would consider a tactical vote against them if I were in a seat like Rochester.
    Was that outbreak of flatulence necessary? I think we all already know (over and over again) what you think of KIppers....
    The claim that the WWC are equal to UKIP was so risable as to require a response.

Well if that was your response I wouldn't bother. As I said it was nothing more than fetid flatulence.....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Floater said:
    If David Cameron's "cut" entails an increase of 33%, I would hate to think what a rise would have looked like.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Charles said:

MikeK said:

The big bad wolf resigns. Fiona is gone!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29855265

But who will the government attempt to put in her place?

The reality, given that there are allegations involving people in the London establishment, virtually any senior lawyer or judge (I am making the assumption that judicial experience would be useful in chairing an inquiry of this nature) will have met people tangentially or directly associated with the subject matter.

But more to the point,now that two qualified people have been dragged through the mud, who is going to let their name go forward?

This is a victory for those who want everything swept under the carpet, nothing more.
    Rubbish.

A friend of Brittan's would not have worked, for many more alleged reasons than the fact that he binned the initial report. It's an uttter farce that this lady was considered, and the editing and re-editing of her letter to distance her from the Brittans is grotesque.

The Archbishop of York is the perfect candidate. Legal background, unimpeachable good name, previous enquiry chairing experience, not from the political class.
    That depends if you want the perfect candidate to reveal the truth or the perfect candidate to produce a 'lessons have been learnt' whitewash.
    I mean the former. I speak of John Sentamu specifically, I would never recommend Justin Welby or Rowan Williams.
    If it was Sentamu it would hardly be a "WHITE"wash >:D

Nah seriously, I am no christian but he strikes me as an honest and able man, and I think would be a great fit for the job.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Socrates said:

PAW said:

Socrates - I suppose we are starting to see the "establishment" as what they are. Do they think they can ride the wave?

For them it is all about attaining and sustaining political power. They have no sense of moral duty.
    Like the MPs who jump ship when they see their personal polling?

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

The reality, given that there are allegations involving people in the London establishment, virtually any senior lawyer or judge (I am making the assumption that judicial experience would be useful in chairing an inquiry of this nature) will have met people tangentially or directly associated with the subject matter.

But more to the point,now that two qualified people have been dragged through the mud, who is going to let their name go forward?

This is a victory for those who want everything swept under the carpet, nothing more.
    Rubbish.

A friend of Brittan's would not have worked, for many more alleged reasons than the fact that he binned the initial report. It's an uttter farce that this lady was considered, and the editing and re-editing of her letter to distance her from the Brittans is grotesque.

The Archbishop of York is the perfect candidate. Legal background, unimpeachable good name, previous enquiry chairing experience, not from the political class.
    That depends if you want the perfect candidate to reveal the truth or the perfect candidate to produce a 'lessons have been learnt' whitewash.
    I mean the former. I speak of John Sentamu specifically, I would never recommend Justin Welby or Rowan Williams.

Nah seriously, I am no christian but he strikes me as an honest and able man, and I think would be a great fit for the job.
    Why on earth would he want to do it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

I'm sure that someone would complain about (a) the CofE's less than perfect record in this area and (b) the fact that he has probably encountered Brittain and others as a member of the HoL
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    edited October 2014

Please can those attacking the Survation wording come up with some of their own.

How about: "Representatives from the European Union and the US government are presently negotiating a new trade agreement called TTIP (Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership), aimed at making it easier to trade between Europe and the USA, which they estimate could bring an extra £4billion a year to the UK economy.

As part of this agreement, protection will be given to any companies from either continent engaged in contracts with the other continent such that no government could unilaterally break contract conditions freely entered into. Such protection is found in other similar agreements.

As it currently stands, this agreement covers the NHS and health sector in the UK, allowing companies to bid for the right to provide services for the Government in this sector amongst others. Some have been concerned that this would prevent the UK Government from unilaterally breaking contracts entered into under this agreement without following due legal process"

• Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

He might not, but there'd be no harm in asking him.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

R4 News Quiz. 'Ed Miliband was going to wear a T-shirt saying "This what a Prime Minister looks like". Only he got his head stuck in the arm-hole.'

LMAO
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well didn't Sentamu camp out in the nave, I worry if he would look too eccentric... Why not an Australian police chief?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

Depressing. It must be a horrible thought that you share your living space with so many who share the values of UKIP.

Yep. Must be like PB, only in real life. Grubby and nasty. Yuck.
    Ugh. People who think differently. Yuck.
    Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think.
    It's similar to Sir Peter Hall hating Margaret Thatcher because she bought clothes from M & S. It's a kind of Pavlovian reaction that bien pensants have for the English lower middle and working classes.

While there's no shortage of hatred for various political parties - I make no secret of my deep dislike of Labour - people normally have a rational reason for this based on that party's actions in government.

But the visceral hatred of UKIP by much of the middle class is different. With UKIP not having been in government, either nationally or locally, there's no reason to hate them for their actions. Or at least not yet.

Instead the hatred is for what they are and who their voters are.

The wwc.

The role of class politics and the hatred of people different to you should not be underestimated.

As this becomes more apparent we're likely to see voting blocks solidify in Britain:

'progressive' & public sector middle class = Labour
    conservative & private sector middle class = Conservative
    wwc = UKIP

In Scotland the SNP will, I suspect, increasingly pick up the wwc vote.

The WWC does not equal UKIP or vice versa.

UKIP is a party led by upper middle class public schoolboys, whose last leader was on old Etonian Lord. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing to the WWC (if such labels are meaningful anymore).

I do not hate kippers whether Public School ex Tory MPs or WWC electricians, but I do dislike their views of the world and would consider a tactical vote against them if I were in a seat like Rochester.
    Was that outbreak of flatulence necessary? I think we all already know (over and over again) what you think of KIppers....
    The claim that the WWC are equal to UKIP was so risable as to require a response.

Who said they were ?

But its the way the trends are heading.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

I am pretty sure he wouldn't want to. But he might think that God wants him to. Unlike most of our clergy, I'm pretty sure Sentamu is a Christian.

• Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

The campaigners really want Mansfield or Kennedy but that's not going to happen.
  • Options

Please can those attacking the Survation wording come up with some of their own.

How about: "Representatives from the European Union and the US government are presently negotiating a new trade agreement called TTIP (Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership), aimed at making it easier to trade between Europe and the USA, which they estimate could bring an extra £4billion a year to the UK economy.

As part of this agreement, protection will be given to any companies from either continent engaged in contracts with the other continent such that no government could unilaterally break contract conditions freely entered into. Such protection is found in other similar agreements.

As it currently stands, this agreement covers the NHS and health sector in the UK, allowing companies to bid for the right to provide services for the Government in this sector amongst others. Some have been concerned that this would prevent the UK Government from unilaterally breaking contracts entered into under this agreement without following due legal process"

Good! A little complex, but much more objective that the version which OGH claims is "Fair and Balanced" (TM)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    My phone has been blowing up for the last hour with freeze and wind warnings.

It will fall below freezing tonight! Two days ago it was 85
  • Options
    PAW said:

Well didn't Sentamu camp out in the nave, I worry if he would look too eccentric... Why not an Australian police chief?

I think Commonwealth is probably the way to go.

I believe a recently retired Canadian general is the traditional choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_de_Chastelain
  • Options
    Charles said:

Good! A little complex, but much more objective that the version which OGH claims is "Fair and Balanced" (TM)
    Fair and balanced - have you shot his 'fox'? :-)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Where's yer global warming now? :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

I'm sure that someone would complain about (a) the CofE's less than perfect record in this area and (b) the fact that he has probably encountered Brittain and others as a member of the HoL
    No, they wouldn't. It's not a PB debate, these families want justice, not to score points.

• Options
    This TTIP far from sounding like a free trade agreement, sounds like a rick for the likes of Baker & McKenzie and Pfizer to completely stitch up the UK Gov't. Our blessed civil servant public sector middle class couldn't even negotiate decent PFI deals for themselves, let alone be able to swim with these sharks.

No thanks !
  • Options

Its rather amusing to read that UKIP made a huge effort in South Yorkshire.

Can anyone claiming that please provide some evidence ?

From within South Yorkshire the UKIP campaign seemed, bar one leaflet received, pretty invisible. An unimpressive effort with a unimpressive candidate.

On the other hand there's been reports of Labour bringing in activists all week, organising postal votes etc.

I'll take your word for it, as you're the man on the spot.

UKIP are, of course, fighting a rather important by-election in Kent at the moment. I also note that zinger of a poster was on a mobile billboard.

Also, South Yorkshire is a vast constituency. Did the Liberals ever manage to win one of the old Euro constituencies?

UKIP did well in Rotherham itself, which augurs well for future council elections and GE2015.

I think UKIP will lead with the child abuse issue in Rotherham, Rochdale and places still to be revealed, but not nationally, unless the other parties play up and decide to play dirty.

Interesting that Labour had to throw resources into a super safe heartland. That means they can't elsewhere, which is possibly the big takeaway from this by-election. Very similar to Heywood and Middleton (Rochdale), it appears Labour are being pinned back to defending supposedly "safe" seats.
  • Options
    Charles said:

PAW said:

I think Commonwealth is probably the way to go.

I believe a recently retired Canadian general is the traditional choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_de_Chastelain
    On the economic front, Mark Carney is also Canadian.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

No, they wouldn't. It's not a PB debate, these families want justice, not to score points.

Then why did they force out Butler Sloss?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Floater said:
    If David Cameron's "cut" entails an increase of 33%, I would hate to think what a rise would have looked like.
    Its worse than that:

Last four years = £35bn net payment
    Four years before that = £14bn net payment
    Four years before that = £11bn net payment
  • Options
    PAW said:

What do you think he's going to do, sky dive in with the final report? Too much charisma is a farcical objection.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

more.
    Rubbish.

As the new South Yorkshire PCC is an Anglican clergyman, you can point out your scathing posts telling of his unsuitability for the position because I can't for the life of me recall them.

Either that or you've pulled that "argument" out of your derriere.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Charles said:

"A cabal of global businesses fronted by the USA are negotiating a deal to prevent democratically elected governments from restricting their activities. The negotiations are being carried out in secret"
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

Are you seriously disagreeing with that point? Yuck.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

You can be stunning naive at times.

It's not the families that have been driving the outrage bus that has forced Butler-Sloss and Wolff to step back. Both are honorable women, who are extremely talented and would do a very good job as Chairman of the Inquiry, without fear or favour.

But that wasn't enough.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    philiph said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

"Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think."

Talking of mental sickness is there no one who can put a stop to this man's prurient obsession? It's rapidly making this site unreadable.

@PBModerator Am I allowed to defend myself here?
    Whilst none of my concern, I do wonder why people bother with personal defence on an anonymous internet forum. Nobody cares about the personal insults or the defence against them.
    Well, both have been told to lay off the personal stuff, one abides by the rules the other does not.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Tim_B said:

The global warming is here at present: 21 Centigrade at Halloween in Leics tonight.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

more.
    Rubbish.

As the new South Yorkshire PCC is an Anglican clergyman, you can point out your scathing posts telling of his unsuitability for the position because I can't for the life of me recall them.

You've missed my point.

++York would, I'm sure, make a fine chairman (I don't know him). But people who want to find reasons to stop the inquiry will find reasons as spurious as the accusations against Butler-Sloss and Wolff.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

more.
    Rubbish.

You've missed my point.

++York would, I'm sure, make a fine chairman (I don't know him). But people who want to find reasons to stop the inquiry will find reasons as spurious as the accusations against Butler-Sloss and Wolff.

I think there may be an additional problem in finding the perfect candidate, the potential for abuse if your report didn't fulfil the expectations of a vociferous minority.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

The global warming is here at present: 21 Centigrade at Halloween in Leics tonight.
    70 degrees - for once I'm jealous of your weather!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

more.
    Rubbish.

You don't seem to have developed a theory of mind - something most children manage by the age of 3 to 4. "Charles believes that person A believes that x is the case" does not materially imply "Charles believes that x is the case".

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

The objections against Lady Butler-Sloss and Fiona Woolf were frivolous, and ought to have been rejected.

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

It's not the families that have been driving the outrage bus that has forced Butler-Sloss and Wolff to step back. Both are honorable women, who are extremely talented and would do a very good job as Chairman of the Inquiry, without fear or favour.

But that wasn't enough.
    We can all be naive at times. Mine appears to extend to the victims of paedophilia, and yours appears to favour the political establishment -an establishment that we now know responded to child abuse within its ranks with a slap on the wrist from the Whips and a note in Ted Heath's useful book.

These allegations are wide ranging and refer to people who are alive, active, and often in positions of power. Even those who are no longer with us are totemic to current political events. It is essential that whomever chairs this enquiry must be utterly incorruptible, fearless, and prepared to acknowledge and expose the rotten core of our politics. That isn't someone whose brother was Attorney General at the time, it isn't someone who dines with the Brittans, and to be honest I don't think it's some Colonial with epaulettes and smattering of medals.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Would now be a good time to point out that the temperature in Laguna is expected to vary by almost 10% (between 73 and 80) over the next 10 days?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

The objections against Lady Butler-Sloss and Fiona Woolf were frivolous, and ought to have been rejected.

I agree. And both of them have the character to deliver a fearsomely independent report.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

But that wasn't enough.
    A bit pompous, possibly? How would you know whether they are honorable or not?

I am not sure how far I can take this point here, but just look at the competing drafts of the "how well I know the Brittans" letter. I wouldn't know whom to back out of Woolf and Tony Blair if they went head-to-head in a telling-the-truth contest.

• Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Would now be a good time to point out that the temperature in Laguna is expected to vary by almost 10% (between 73 and 80) over the next 10 days?
    That's what it should be here.

Maybe the fact that gasoline prices have dropped by $0.60 a gallon over the last few days is god's way of telling me to drive there :-)
  • Options

These allegations are wide ranging and refer to people who are alive, active, and often in positions of power. Even those who are no longer with us are totemic to current political events. It is essential that whomever chairs this enquiry must be utterly incorruptible, fearless, and prepared to acknowledge and expose the rotten core of our politics. That isn't someone whose brother was Attorney General at the time, it isn't someone who dines with the Brittans, and to be honest I don't think it's some Colonial with epaulettes and smattering of medals.

It also needs to be someone with the experience and wisdom to be even handed and deliver justice to those accused of these heinous crimes as well as the victims, in a highly politicised environment.

I am doubtful whether anyone who intends to continue to operate in the UK will be perceived to be unbiased enough. Hence the recommendation of a Canadian.

And having dinner with someone who lives on your street 5 times in 10 years doesn't make you close buddies.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Do we usually get a YouGov on Friday nights?
  • Options

Would Citizen Khan be racist if it was exactly the same, except all the Asian parts were played by white actors in make-up?

Man - "How was Pakistan?"
    Citizen Khan - "Just like Birmingham, only less Pakistanis!"

Isn't that racist? Hello?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

I agree. And both of them have the character to deliver a fearsomely independent report.
    Fiona Woolf didn't even have the character to deliver a fearsomely independent letter.

She allowed her letter to be edited by the Home Office 7 times, changing 'there were no other guests' at the dinners, to 'there were at least 4 other guests'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11199936/Fiona-Woolf-letter-how-it-changed-over-seven-re-writes.html
  • Options
    Speaking of global warming, apparently the White House released a report today documenting how almost 40 government agencies would be adversely affected by global warming.
  • Options
    Re: child abuse inquiry.

I know a fearless enemy of paedophiles.

Someone who is resistant to all personal attack.

Someone who tells the truth to power.

Someone who isn't scared to take on authority.

The person to lead the inquiry is.....

Socrates!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

It will dip below 50 Fahrenheit by Tuesday! (that's 10 degrees in Celsius)
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Would Citizen Khan be racist if it was exactly the same, except all the Asian parts were played by white actors in make-up?

It should be fewer...

You could construe "I hate Pakis" as racist.

Merely commenting on their geographic distribution is hardly racist.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It also needs to be someone with the experience and wisdom to be even handed and deliver justice to those accused of these heinous crimes as well as the victims, in a highly politicised environment.

I am doubtful whether anyone who intends to continue to operate in the UK will be perceived to be unbiased enough. Hence the recommendation of a Canadian.

And having dinner with someone who lives on your street 5 times in 10 years doesn't make you close buddies.
    That's clearly not what the Home Office thought.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,915
    Ninoinoz said:

Re: child abuse inquiry.

I know a fearless enemy of paedophiles.

Someone who is resistant to all personal attack.

Someone who tells the truth to power.

Someone who isn't scared to take on authority.

The person to lead the inquiry is.....

Socrates!

Less appropriate than Sean Wright!!
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

But that wasn't enough.

I am not sure how far I can take this point here, but just look at the competing drafts of the "how well I know the Brittans" letter. I wouldn't know whom to back out of Woolf and Tony Blair if they went head-to-head in a telling-the-truth contest.

My aunt knows Lady Butler Sloss extremely well (they served in the Family Court together for many years). My cousins have worked closely with Fiona Wolff during her term as Lord Mayor. I respect their judgement on people.

Do you have a link to the various drafts?
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

Fiona Woolf didn't even have the character to deliver a fearsomely independent letter.

She allowed her letter to be edited by the Home Office 7 times, changing 'there were no other guests' at the dinners, to 'there were at least 4 other guests'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11199936/Fiona-Woolf-letter-how-it-changed-over-seven-re-writes.html
    She could certainly set up shop in Melton Mowbray.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Do we usually get a YouGov on Friday nights?

No - Monday to Thursday in the Sunil, I mean Sun, and then the Sunday Times.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Maybe the fact that gasoline prices have dropped by $0.60 a gallon over the last few days is god's way of telling me to drive there :-)
    Just a point the difference betwwen 73F and 80F is the difference between 296 and 300 Kelvin (Absolute scale) - or 1.3% approximately.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

We get a coastal breeze, as well, which you don't outside of Savannah.

• Options
    The poll I'm looking forward to is Lord Ashcroft's Rochester survey. Maybe the fieldwork for that is about to start.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

We get a coastal breeze, as well, which you don't outside of Savannah.

I live 280 miles outside of Savannah :-)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Does in the normal world !
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

Virtually every important letter gets drafted and redrafted.

I doubt that anything that appeared in the final version was factually incorrect, so presumably more evidence was uncovered as she went through her records.

I usually have about 6 guests at my dinners at home but would struggle to remember who attended each specific one.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm just back in from dinner out in Shoreditch with a friend. I have to say that it's quite difficult differentiating between those in Halloween fancy dress and those that are just wearing their usual Shoreditch clothes.
  • Options
    Charles said:

My aunt knows Lady Butler Sloss extremely well (they served in the Family Court together for many years). My cousins have worked closely with Fiona Wolff during her term as Lord Mayor. I respect their judgement on people.

No, but the edits, and the content, are a matter of public knowledge, and disclosed by Woolf herself to the Select Committee. Whilst I am sure that both are fine women, I feel even you must acknowledge that starting an investigation into Whitehall cover up, with... a Whitehall cover up, is hardly the most propitious of beginnings.
  • Options

Charles said:

No, but the edits, and the content, are a matter of public knowledge, and disclosed by Woolf herself to the Select Committee. Whilst I am sure that both are fine women, I feel even you must acknowledge that starting an investigation into Whitehall cover up, with... a Whitehall cover up, is hardly the most propitious of beginnings.
    "A matter of public knowledge"

"Disclosed by Woolf herself"

"A Whitehall cover up"

I'm missing a connection here...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_X said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

But that wasn't enough.

God, how beautifully and unspoofably that post shoots itself in the foot. The fear is of a cosy establishment stitch-up, and the answer is that you know that these people are solid to the core because your aunt knows one of them and your cousin knows another. Probably someone involved somewhere was your fag at Eton, too.

Link - sorry, heard the excerpts on the radio but see Luckyguy's post.

• Options
    Elected senate would replace House of Lords under Labour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29857849

When read carefully, it is more about shoring up power than distributing it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I doubt that anything that appeared in the final version was factually incorrect, so presumably more evidence was uncovered as she went through her records.

I usually have about 6 guests at my dinners at home but would struggle to remember who attended each specific one.

I'm not sure why you're adopting this mealy mouthed tripe with me -I'm not James Naughtie trying to trip you up on the Today programme. One does not confuse an intimate dinner with one other couple with dinner with at least four others. As you, I, and the rest of PB knows, this letter was altered, by the Home Office, to minimise this ladies association with a key figure in this investigation.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

I beg to differ.

Most "Pakistanis" in Birmingham re, of course, British nationals, either by duration of stay or birth. Refer to their ethnicity or religion if you must, but they're as British as I am.
  • Options

Charles said:

I'm not sure why you're adopting this mealy mouthed tripe with me -I'm not James Naughtie trying to trip you up on the Today programme. One does not confuse an intimate dinner with one other couple with dinner with at least four others. As you, I, and the rest of PB knows, this letter was altered, by the Home Office, to minimise this ladies association with a key figure in this investigation.
    Tinfoil hat time.

Have you met Tapestry?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Just looking in after a busy day - had a fun evening canvassing in streets full of trick-or-treaters. Two thirds of the residents answered the door warily, thinking I'd demand sweets, the other third were dressed as skeletons and zombies - indeed one bloke with a demonic mask opened the door and screamed "Waaaah!" I won't make any jokes about how the zombies were voting...

FWIW, among the more sober citizens, we actually seemed to be doing well, even gaining some former Tories. Perhaps relief that I wasn't a skeleton played a part? Brilliant new differentiation strategy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    While I understand what Charles is saying and I have no doubt that either of the two previous proposed chairs are women of impeccable judgement and character, I do feel strongly that on this occasion the chair should be someone who is demonstrably an outsider.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Didn't see the "man gives money to a homeless person" bombshell on the news anywhere.

Perhaps the dismal PBTories/SamCoates/Guido rabble got a little silly. Again.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

Are you seriously disagreeing with that point? Yuck.

Yes. It's one great big political football. Urgh.
  • Options

Rubbish.

Don't wish to disagree Charles but this is a hugely important inquiry into exactly what has gone on for the last 40 years or so. Anyone remotely connected with the Establishment should not be allowed anywhere near this inquiry.

The victims deserve justice for the way they have been abused over the years, from Savile through to Rotherham.

This is far too important for you to get upset about someone your Aunt knows, anyone remotely connected to Brittan should never have been considered.

This country at last has a chance to smash the establishment and their cosy cartel, also from a political point of view that is happening too.

For the ordinary man this moment in time is momentous.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

The reality, given that there are allegations involving people in the London establishment, vi

Rubbish.

Do your homework, Charles. Read the letters, and listen to the Pienaar radio 5 interview.

• Options
    antifrank said:

While I understand what Charles is saying and I have no doubt that either of the two previous proposed chairs are women of impeccable judgement and character, I do feel strongly that on this occasion the chair should be someone who is demonstrably an outsider.

Sentamu fits the bill.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

Of that I have no doubt. But one is the brother of a former Law Officer and the other moved in the same circles as a former Home Secretary, both of whom may have their judgment questioned as a result of the enquiry. It's about there being an apparent conflict of interest. We also have the dubious affair of the Home Office apparently having a view about who should conduct the inquiry (the Home Office needs to be investigated, so it should be neutral) and trying to massage the way for her. All very murky.

Personally as this inquiry is, inter alia, into the actions of the UK Government, I think the chair should be appointed by the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

It's implying, surely, there are too many Pakistanis in Birmingham...
  • Options
    On the occasional topic of whos's watching what on TV, I think I've said on here before that I'm a big fan of WKRP in Cincinnati. It's based on WQXI in Atlanta - QXI in Dixie.

The show has had a complicated history of music rights restrictions (it's set in a rocknroll radio station) so has never been available complete on dvd until now. The first series was issued with all the original music replaced, but now as of this week all 4 series are available for the first time with the original music in a 13 dvd box set.

Amazon had it at $99 so I put in my cart. Over at Costco today getting Heidi's food and dog biscuits, it was on sale at $57.99. Yay Costco!!!!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

I doubt that anything that appeared in the final version was factually incorrect
    I take it you have never worked in the Civil Service then.

• Options

Charles said:

Tinfoil hat time.

Have you met Tapestry?
    The evidence that the letter was altered by the Home Office, is that Woolf said today on national radio that it was altered by the Home Office. I cannot imagine any motive for the alteration, other than the one offered by Luckyguy. What is your point?

• Options

Charles said:

Tinfoil hat time.

Have you met Tapestry?
    Hahahaha - argument barrel truly scraped.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Ninoinoz said:

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

I beg to differ.

Most "Pakistanis" in Birmingham re, of course, British nationals, either by duration of stay or birth. Refer to their ethnicity or religion if you must, but they're as British as I am.
    Which cricket team do they support?

Just asking for a friend.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Sentamu fits the bill.
    Sadly he's from The Church which is also the subject of a wide ranging investigation into child abuse. The headlines write themselves.

If you rule out Butler Sloss and Woolf for 'connections', you'll have to strike Sentamu off the list too. Same arguments for unsuitability.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Hugh said:

Didn't see the "man gives money to a homeless person" bombshell on the news anywhere.

Partisans always do. Personally that sort of thing makes me more well disposed toward Ed M, for all he does look awkward as hell in the photos. For similar reasons, although usually its more silliness toward something he supposedly said (or it is implied was implied by what he said, given he generally takes a slightly better photo, if not universally), it's one of the reasons I've been inclined to give Cameron more a benefit of the doubt about some things, until his incompetence overshadowed it. Ed M is almost fortunate in that while many people may suspect he is going to be crap, we don't have definitive proof no matter how man awkward photos and poor ideas are stated, not until he is actually PM.

• Options

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

It's a cheap laugh. If that's racist then so is the guy on The Kumars saying "Let's go out for an English."

When I was at school in Yorkshire in the 60s, everyone thought there were too many Pakistanis in Bradford. That's merely an opinion. If you decide you want to do something about it, or encourage others to do so, or discriminate, now you have a case.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

Citizen Khan reminds me of Mind your language
  • Options
    Uh oh - Mary Landrieu plays the race and sexist card....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwz-neNZd_I
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Ninoinoz said:

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

I beg to differ.

Which cricket team do they support?

Just asking for a friend.
    Warwickshire/Birmingham Bears?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

It's a cheap laugh. If that's racist then so is the guy on The Kumars saying "Let's go out for an English."

When I was at school in Yorkshire in the 60s, everyone thought there were too many Pakistanis in Bradford. That's merely an opinion. If you decide you want to do something about it, or encourage others to do so, or discriminate, now you have a case.

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

I preferred Goodness Gracious Me!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

I preferred Goodness Gracious Me!
    That was funny Citizen Khan is purile
  • Options
    Sevenoaks — main party candidates:

Con: Michael Fallon
    Lab: Chris Clark
    LD: Alan Bullion
    UKIP: Steve Lindsay
    Greens: Amelie Boleyn
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Tim_B said:

It should be fewer...

When I first saw it I did wonder if it was a clever post modern spoof of a a seventies race based sitcom.

But it isn't.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Wasn't Sevenoaks the place where John Lennon (a member of a 60s group called The Beatles) bought the circus poster which was the inspiration for "Being for the benefit of Mr.Kite"?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Sentamu fits the bill.
    Sadly he's from The Church which is also the subject of a wide ranging investigation into child abuse. The headlines write themselves.

If you rule out Butler Sloss and Woolf for 'connections', you'll have to strike Sentamu off the list too. Same arguments for unsuitability.
    There is absolutely no equivalence. None. We are talking about someone who had 7 shades of the proverbial beaten out of him in a prison cell for criticising Idi Amin. You couldn't get further from the cosy Westminster elite than that, and the victims would recognise that.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Wasn't Sevenoaks the place where John Lennon (a member of a 60s group called The Beatles) bought the circus poster which was the inspiration for "Being for the benefit of Mr.Kite"?
    I don't know. Must be online somewhere.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Well bugger me backwards with a splintered fiddle - it is.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/being-for-the-benefit-of-mr-kite/
  • Options
    Hugh said:

I think Ed is crap paid the media off -Tuppence all round.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242
    antifrank said:

Our leaders have no concept of what to do beyond appointing one of us to investigate ourselves. Which has been rumbled. Given the lack of tory hermits, I suggest a foreigner. Possibly Irish, given their expertise in the area.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Well bugger me backwards with a splintered fiddle - it is.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/being-for-the-benefit-of-mr-kite/
    Damn beat me to it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_for_the_Benefit_of_Mr._Kite!
This discussion has been closed.