Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » EXCLUSIVE: Survation has Mark Reckless moving to a 15% lead

Comments

• Options

Charles said:

Sorry, OGH, this is garbage.

If you asked voters to explain what TTIP is, and the impact on the NHS, I bet that less than 5% would have a clue.

What the pollsters have asked is the following.

"I am going to ask you about something. By definition that makes it interesting. If it is interesting it is controversial. Hmmh. And it affects the NHS. The NHS is a good thing. A controversial thing affecting the NHS. Sounds like a bad idea. Should that nice Mr Cameron exclude the NHS from TTIP? I don't know what it is. But I'm smart, so I need to have an opinion. What should I say? Well, it's a bad thing. And the NHS is a good thing. Should it be excluded? Of course it should!"

Survation provided an explanation of what TTIP was (see page 3)

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Rochester-Strood-TTIP-tables.pdf

Is it any wonder that people are turning their back on the Tories when they make such contemptible judgements about people?
    Ha! Brilliant! Have you actually read their 'explanation'? It's one of the most ludicrous pieces of tendentious nonsense I've ever seen in a question asked by a leading pollster.
    So what should it say then to suit your 'objective' viewpoint?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033
    chestnut said:

AndyJS said:

I think Reckless could end up receiving around 50-53% because the trend is in that direction and there are almost three weeks still to go.

Look at Survation's level of error in previous Tory held seats.

The overstated gap in Newark 1 (just one week before the election ) was 11 points, in Clacton it was 9.

Both suggest that the gap on the day will be about 5.
    They don't suggest that in the slightest
  • Options
    Speedy said:

And yet Betfair over the day so far has seen the Tory price come in quite handily ... so far...

Hmm.

Some one put a bait before the poll was released, no one took it, and now the price is going out quickly.
    nothing's been traded since the buy at 8.2 so I don't know why you'd say that?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

This ain't quite over until Lord A says it is.

Desperate business.
  • Options

Hugh said:

NHS important, Labour losing votes.

Interesting.

Labour have their feet up, munching on popcorn, enjoying watching the blue on bluer cat-fight.
    And there, in a nutshell, is Labour's problem.

Although it's actually a bacon sandwich.

You can't get bacon in Dubai. What does it taste like?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29857182
    'In-flight anomaly' on Virgin SpaceShipTwo

Sad news from the private sector in space travel and exploration. Two pilots believed lost.
    Virgin Galactic spacecraft lost during test flight and location of the two pilots is not known - statement
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    deleted
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    R4 News Quiz. 'Ed Miliband was going to wear a T-shirt saying "This what a Prime Minister looks like". Only he got his head stuck in the arm-hole.'
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    chestnut said:

AndyJS said:

I think Reckless could end up receiving around 50-53% because the trend is in that direction and there are almost three weeks still to go.

Look at Survation's level of error in previous Tory held seats.

The overstated gap in Newark 1 (just one week before the election ) was 11 points, in Clacton it was 9.

Both suggest that the gap on the day will be about 5.
    Given the Clacton polls were all over a month before the by-election I'd be wary of making any assumptions about their accuracy in relation to a result so far ahead. After all will you be judging the General election result next May on polls produced at the end of March?

As for Newark it seems likely the Tories had the momentum which would explain that. At this time they clearly do not have the momentum in Rochester
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Hugh said:

Roger said:

Depressing. It must be a horrible thought that you share your living space with so many who share the values of UKIP.

Yep. Must be like PB, only in real life. Grubby and nasty. Yuck.
    Ugh. People who think differently. Yuck.
    Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think.
  • Options

It's hard to describe in a couple of sentences, but saying it is a mechanism for allowing US multinationals to sue the NHS is about as leading as they come. Survation should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their name to be put to such a ridiculous piece of partisan spin. It's equivalent to a healthcare company running a poll where the explanation is something like 'TTIP is an agreement which would allow the NHS to give people better care at a lower cost', and then asking whether that was a good idea.
  • Options

Speedy said:

And yet Betfair over the day so far has seen the Tory price come in quite handily ... so far...

Hmm.

Some one put a bait before the poll was released, no one took it, and now the price is going out quickly.
    nothing's been traded since the buy at 8.2 so I don't know why you'd say that?
    Latest price 9.55.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

This ain't quite over until Lord A says it is.

You can still rescue ten pence in the pound on Betfair.
  • Options

It's hard to describe in a couple of sentences, but saying it is a mechanism for allowing US multinationals to sue the NHS is about as leading as they come. Survation should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their name to be put to such a ridiculous piece of partisan spin. It's equivalent to a healthcare company running a poll where the explanation is something like 'TTIP is an agreement which would allow the NHS to give people better care at a lower cost', and then asking whether that was a good idea.
    Is it true though? Unite are not going to pay for something that damages their interests. Perhaps the Tories should get one of their healthcare companies to run a poll in response?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sad news from the private sector in space travel and exploration. Two pilots believed lost.
    Virgin Galactic spacecraft lost during test flight and location of the two pilots is not known - statement

Look private businesses have a tendency to cut corners to reduce costs, if a single bolt is defected due to cost cutting then a spacecraft can disintegrate.

The Challenger disaster is a prime example of cost cutting pressures leading to catastrophic failure.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Farage is a tadger and always will be.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    MikeK said:

The big bad wolf resigns. Fiona is gone!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29855265

But who will the government attempt to put in her place?

To lose one judge may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Labour should probably "go large" on it at the GE at any rate. What's UKIP's policy on this ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2014

Charles said:

If you asked voters to explain what TTIP is, and the impact on the NHS, I bet that less than 5% would have a clue.

"I am going to ask you about something. By definition that makes it interesting. If it is interesting it is controversial. Hmmh. And it affects the NHS. The NHS is a good thing. A controversial thing affecting the NHS. Sounds like a bad idea. Should that nice Mr Cameron exclude the NHS from TTIP? I don't know what it is. But I'm smart, so I need to have an opinion. What should I say? Well, it's a bad thing. And the NHS is a good thing. Should it be excluded? Of course it should!"

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Rochester-Strood-TTIP-tables.pdf

Is it any wonder that people are turning their back on the Tories when they make such contemptible judgements about people?
    Survation should be ashamed of themselves.

This isn't poll: it's not even a leading question. This is a push poll.

Quote from the introductory statement: "If the NHS is included as part of this trade agreement, TTIP would provide a mechanism to allow American multinationals, or any firm with American investors, new powers to sue the government if it ever attempted to take privatised health services back into public ownership"

@OGH Perhaps you can invite someone from Survation on to comment / write a header on how they can justify that introductory statement?

EDITL:

@OGH Have now seen your comment at 6:34 that you regard the introductory statement as broadly objective can you explain your views?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2014
    Horrible news: Virgin Galactic has crashed due to an "in-flight anomaly".

One dead, one seriously injured.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164
    MikeK said:

Not the first people that project has killed - three sadly died a few years back during a ground test of a rocket engine.

I've said my piece on this project in the past on here, and now's not the time to rehash it. But it just so happens that our friendly rocket engineer is staying with us tonight, and he is both sad and angry.

RIP.

http://www.knightsarrow.com/rockets/scaled-composites-accident/
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Quote from the introductory statement: "If the NHS is included as part of this trade agreement, TTIP would provide a mechanism to allow American multinationals, or any firm with American investors, new powers to sue the government if it ever attempted to take privatised health services back into public ownership"

@OGH Perhaps you can invite someone from Survation on to comment / write a header on how they can justify that introductory statement?

EDITL:

@OGH Have now seen your comment at 6:34 that you regard the introductory statement as broadly objective can you explain your views?
    It may be a leading question but it is hardly a push poll.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MikeK said:

Look private businesses have a tendency to cut corners to reduce costs, if a single bolt is defected due to cost cutting then a spacecraft can disintegrate.

The Challenger disaster is a prime example of cost cutting pressures leading to catastrophic failure.
    Challenger and Columbia were both ultimately caused by a stupid design that was trying to meet too many requirements, civilian and military. Both losses can be traced to the compromised design, which lacked even a launch-abort system.

If you want to make this into a private vs public argument, then I will mention SpaceX, who seem to be going about things in just the right way. Even Orbital Sciences, who had their Antares rocket explode earlier in the week, have a fairly good track record with their other two launchers.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

Depressing. It must be a horrible thought that you share your living space with so many who share the values of UKIP.

Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think.
    Not being PC is the greatest crime of all to the left.
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin seriously questions Cameron's judgment:

"Cameron should never have personally aligned himself to the Rochester&Strood result. And too many Tories said to me "it will be like Newark"
    6:32pm - 31 Oct 14"

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Speedy said:

MikeK said:

“I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.”
    ― John Glenn
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    One pilot has survived the explosion.
  • Options
    Live video from the crash scene.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/live-video/
  • Options
    Our red friends such as @Speedy Eager to find fault in a private company on one of the frontiers of knowledge, simply because it's private. What bolt, Speedy? Have you any special data to hand where you can make such an accusation?
  • Options
    Looks crushed, how did a pilot survive?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    The main story from S Yorks PCC poll is the poll itself. Turnout at 14.88% down from another measley 14.93% !!!!

So, the public are craving for this kind of democracy. What a waste of public funds !

Oh, and Labour stuffed everyone else despite them equating the child abuse with Labour !

And, UKIP were going to win in the North ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour should probably "go large" on it at the GE at any rate. What's UKIP's policy on this ?
    They oppose the inclusion of the NHS in TTIP
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Charles said:

Charles said:

EDITL:

It's a push poll and the question is based on a lie. Feel to disagree while referencing investment treaties and international arbitration.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

Or they have no infant children or grandchildren.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Ejected?
  • Options
    Ah surbiton, they will look after you when you get old and do the jobs you don't want to do. You have been promised by the same people who promised that children in care would be looked after.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

EDITL:

Trying to associate TTIP with wicked Americans (boo, hiss) suing the government because they want a privatised NHS?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

EDITL:

Oh for goodness sake. Seriously do you think this 'Outraged of Kensington & Chelsea' act is making you look good? Pollsters do this sort of stuff all the time. Get over it!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Please can those attacking the Survation wording come up with some of their own.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PAW said:

Ah surbiton, they will look after you when you get old and do the jobs you don't want to do. You have been promised by the same people who promised that children in care would be looked after.

I see. First, I heard that the people will teach Labour a lesson for the child abuse. When they didn't, it's their fault !
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Big movements on the Betfair UKIP share market for Rochester.

Punters now think UKIP polling 50-55% is more likely than <40%:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.115925336
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

EDITL:

Oh for goodness sake. Seriously do you think this 'Outraged of Kensington & Chelsea' act is making you look good? Pollsters do this sort of stuff all the time. Get over it!
    Credible pollsters shouldn't.

I'm not ashamed to say I don't have a detailed view on the NHS and TTIP. In general, I'm a fan of trade treaties, but I haven't researched the details here.

But if you believe the face results of this poll given the intro you'd be making a mistake
  • Options
    PAW said:

*If* the reports of a pilot surviving are correct, it *may* refer to the pilot of the launcher aircraft. SS2 is unusual in that there is a specially-designed and rather beautiful launcher aircraft that carries the rocketplane to altitude, before dropping it. I've been out to fetch some food so haven't been able to keep track of reports, but it could be that the launcher aircraft has landed successfully, and it's the rocket place itself that has crashed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_White_Knight_Two
  • Options
    Rochester poll. Tactically-minded Labour supporters supporting UKIP to beat the Conservatives? So much for anti-UKIP voting.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited October 2014
    @JosiasJessop
    apparently the "mother ship" landed safely, it was the high altitude vehicle that crashed.Pilot ejected, but injured, co pilot....
  • Options
  • Options

Rochester poll. Tactically-minded Labour supporters supporting UKIP to beat the Conservatives? So much for anti-UKIP voting.

Depends on the type of voter. Liberal, middle-class Labour supporters voted Conservative in Newark to stop Helmer. Working-class Labour supporters in Rochester are moving to UKIP.
  • Options
    Re the TTIP questions whilst they may not cover the entirety of TTIP they do reflect the concerns of the polls sponsor and from what I can see do not misrepresent the issue regarding the Investor State Dispute Settlement (ISDS):

Wiki's overview of TTIP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership

The EU's view of ISDS

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/october/tradoc_151791.pdf

Unite's View of ISDS

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/new-poll-shows-nhs-is-the-top-priority-in-rochester--strood/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

It's similar to Sir Peter Hall hating Margaret Thatcher because she bought clothes from M & S. It's a kind of Pavlovian reaction that bien pensants have for the English lower middle and working classes.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Would Citizen Khan be racist if it was exactly the same, except all the Asian parts were played by white actors in make-up?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

EDITL:

Trying to associate TTIP with wicked Americans (boo, hiss) suing the government because they want a privatised NHS?
    UKIPs position to exclude the NHS from the treaty shows an interesting protectionist side. Does their opposition also cover similiar privatised services in social care, childrens homes, police, prisons etc?

It is also a very long way from Carswells libertarian vision of free trade with the world.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Charles

Credible pollsters shouldn't.

I'm not ashamed to say I don't have a detailed view on the NHS and TTIP. In general, I'm a fan of trade treaties, but I haven't researched the details here.

But if you believe the face results of this poll given the intro you'd be making a mistake

There is no such thing as 'credible pollsters' by your seeming standards

I've posted some relevant stuff on TTIP and ISDS but you crying foul over this is absurd.

How many times have pollsters misrepresented people's views about the EU by giving a simplistic in or out headline to a poll (as Mori did last week) when in reality the situation is far more nuanced. How many times have pollsters falsely implied that options preferred by voters are attainable whilst remaining members of the EU when in reality they are not and never will be?

You can't have it all ways.
  • Options
    O/T:

"British savers are 'worst in Europe'
    We save just 9.9 per cent of everything we earn – less than half the proportion in France and below the levels in troubled nations such as Spain and Portugal "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/savings/11202098/British-savers-are-worst-in-Europe.html
  • Options
    Heres a piece that should get some PBers foaming at the mouth:
    http://ukipdaily.com/british-art-british-decadence/

British Art and British Decadence, a view.
  • Options
    Sean_F - I have often read here that a public school education should not be held against the man, but a crappy state education is always your own fault.
  • Options
    According to CNN the spacecraft exploded just 6 seconds after ignition and disintegrated at an altitude of 50000 feet.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS - are mortgage payments and pension payments in there somewhere?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I don't know what it is. But I'm smart, so I need to have an opinion. What should I say? Well, it's a bad thing. And the NHS is a good thing. Should it be excluded? Of course it should!"

EDITL:

UKIPs position to exclude the NHS from the treaty shows an interesting protectionist side. Does their opposition also cover similiar privatised services in social care, childrens homes, police, prisons etc?

It is also a very long way from Carswells libertarian vision of free trade with the world.
    I don't think Carswell will lose much sleep over UKIP's position because he doesn't think much of TTIP full stop.

Dig a little deeper, and what is envisaged might be better described as a mercantilist arrangement, drawn up by officaldom on both sides of the Atlantic. Far from free trade with mutual standard recognition, the small print is all about common standards, which define under what conditions transatlantic trade is permitted.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/douglascarswellmp/100222214/what-could-be-better-than-an-eu-us-trade-deal-free-trade-actually/
  • Options

I wonder if UKIP losing the PCC election might be a blessing for them in the long run. Any minor screw ups would be pounced upon by the media and some of the blame would be deflected from Labour.

Also reinforces the view that you can put a chimp in a red rosette up North and they'd still get voted in.

As I've said several times the UKIP candidate was very poor so I would agree with your first statement.

I predicted a Labour win because there's still enough of the heritage "our family's always been Labour, they're the party of the working class" vote left.

But I underestimated the amount of middle class hatred in Sheffield for UKIP.

The irony is that Labour's working class voters still vote Labour because they think its the party of the working class.

While Labour's middle class supporters vote Labour because they hate UKIP for being the wwc party.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited October 2014

Would Citizen Khan be racist if it was exactly the same, except all the Asian parts were played by white actors in make-up?

In the BBC's eyes, depends if the parts where played by David Willaims and Matt Lucas. If so, its fine. However, if Mike Reid, was in a role, definitely racist.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Sean_F - I have often read here that a public school education should not be held against the man, but a crappy state education is always your own fault.

Thereby hangs a tale. We've had two detailed reports recently suggesting that privately educated graduates earn more than their State-educated counterparts - but, the extra earnings don't outstrip the fees that the parents pay.

The cunning well-off parent surely shops around for the best State schools, buys private tuition as necessary, and saves the fees.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448
    AndyJS said:

Horrible news: Virgin Galactic has crashed due to an "in-flight anomaly".

One dead, one seriously injured.

Apart from the unusual altitude, how is this any more or less horrible than other traffic accidents that over the world probably kill thousands every day?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    MikeK said:

Curious article. I also like British narrative painting of the 19th century, and as he acknowledges it's well represented in Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool. I'd also add Newcastle's Laing Gallery. Noone sane, though, wd regard these works as more important than Picasso or Rothko. So, I don't really understand what his problem is.
  • Options
    MikeK - perhaps art could be reset by torching the old masters, to let new artists thrive.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Labour won Rochester at previous election; now they are down to 16%. Tories at 33% is far better. Reckless won't win by 10%. I bet a tenner on that
  • Options

MikeK said:

Curious article. I also like British narrative painting of the 19th century, and as he acknowledges it's well represented in Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool. I'd also add Newcastle's Laing Gallery. Noone sane, though, wd regard these works as more important than Picasso or Rothko. So, I don't really understand what his problem is.
    Against that, the Newlyn School (a branch of narrative painting that was the forerunner of Impressionism was an incredibly important and under-rated strand of international (and very British) art.

There was a tremendous exhibition on this theme in London a couple of years ago.

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/exhibitions/brian-sewell-on-amongst-heroes-the-artist-in-working-cornwall-two-temple-place-8455061.html
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

It's similar to Sir Peter Hall hating Margaret Thatcher because she bought clothes from M & S. It's a kind of Pavlovian reaction that bien pensants have for the English lower middle and working classes.

While there's no shortage of hatred for various political parties - I make no secret of my deep dislike of Labour - people normally have a rational reason for this based on that party's actions in government.

But the visceral hatred of UKIP by much of the middle class is different. With UKIP not having been in government, either nationally or locally, there's no reason to hate them for their actions. Or at least not yet.

Instead the hatred is for what they are and who their voters are.

The wwc.

The role of class politics and the hatred of people different to you should not be underestimated.

As this becomes more apparent we're likely to see voting blocks solidify in Britain:

'progressive' & public sector middle class = Labour
    conservative & private sector middle class = Conservative
    wwc = UKIP

In Scotland the SNP will, I suspect, increasingly pick up the wwc vote.

• Options
    PAW said:

AndyJS - are mortgage payments and pension payments in there somewhere?

It's not clear from the article and I'm not an expert on the subject.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Dixie said:

Labour won Rochester at previous election; now they are down to 16%. Tories at 33% is far better. Reckless won't win by 10%. I bet a tenner on that

Do you want to arrange a private bet on that?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

The reality, given that there are allegations involving people in the London establishment, virtually any senior lawyer or judge (I am making the assumption that judicial experience would be useful in chairing an inquiry of this nature) will have met people tangentially or directly associated with the subject matter.

But more to the point,now that two qualified people have been dragged through the mud, who is going to let their name go forward?

This is a victory for those who want everything swept under the carpet, nothing more.
    Rubbish.

A friend of Brittan's would not have worked, for many more alleged reasons than the fact that he binned the initial report. It's an uttter farce that this lady was considered, and the editing and re-editing of her letter to distance her from the Brittans is grotesque.

The Archbishop of York is the perfect candidate. Legal background, unimpeachable good name, previous enquiry chairing experience, not from the political class.
  • Options
    I saw that the government arties have bought a crushed polystyrene coffee cup - what would we do if we didn't have them to tell us what art is.
  • Options
    What the NHS/TTIP question tells us is that peole like the NHS and don't trust David Cameron with it. Perhaps we knew that already. But it could be quite important when it comes to the election.
  • Options
    Its rather amusing to read that UKIP made a huge effort in South Yorkshire.

Can anyone claiming that please provide some evidence ?

From within South Yorkshire the UKIP campaign seemed, bar one leaflet received, pretty invisible. An unimpressive effort with a unimpressive candidate.

On the other hand there's been reports of Labour bringing in activists all week, organising postal votes etc.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    How long have the Cons had a candidate in the fight for R&S?

While this poll looks poor for them, it could easily be a lot worse. Still 20 days for UKIP to increase the lead or for the Cons to peg them back. Much too early to draw conclusions.
  • Options

What the NHS/TTIP question tells us is that peole like the NHS and don't trust David Cameron with it. Perhaps we knew that already. But it could be quite important when it comes to the election.

No, people like health care. They like it free at the point of delivery. They expect it to be better, to improve year on year. The NHS is a delivery option. No more.
  • Options
    Why we need to reverse the defence cuts, in one chart:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1MnCY2IMAAip_3.png
  • Options
    Roger said:

"Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think."

Talking of mental sickness is there no one who can put a stop to this man's prurient obsession? It's rapidly making this site unreadable.

@PBModerator Am I allowed to defend myself here?
  • Options

Charles said:

MikeK said:

The reality, given that there are allegations involving people in the London establishment, virtually any senior lawyer or judge (I am making the assumption that judicial experience would be useful in chairing an inquiry of this nature) will have met people tangentially or directly associated with the subject matter.

But more to the point,now that two qualified people have been dragged through the mud, who is going to let their name go forward?

This is a victory for those who want everything swept under the carpet, nothing more.
    Rubbish.

A friend of Brittan's would not have worked, for many more alleged reasons than the fact that he binned the initial report. It's an uttter farce that this lady was considered, and the editing and re-editing of her letter to distance her from the Brittans is grotesque.

The Archbishop of York is the perfect candidate. Legal background, unimpeachable good name, previous enquiry chairing experience, not from the political class.
    That depends if you want the perfect candidate to reveal the truth or the perfect candidate to produce a 'lessons have been learnt' whitewash.
  • Options
    "Talking of mental sickness is there no one who can put a stop to this man's prurient obsession? It's rapidly making this site unreadable" - it almost worked, I thought twice about defending Socrates - but Christ in all these years nothing has been fixed. It is the cover up that is upsetting people. It is not the same as the music teacher buggering little boys.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Roger said:

"Some people seem to get more upset at living near decent UKIP supporters than living near child molesters. It's a sign of some sort of mental sickness I think."

Talking of mental sickness is there no one who can put a stop to this man's prurient obsession? It's rapidly making this site unreadable.

@PBModerator Am I allowed to defend myself here?
    Whilst none of my concern, I do wonder why people bother with personal defence on an anonymous internet forum. Nobody cares about the personal insults or the defence against them.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I am actually I favour of reversing defence cuts, but not because of people getting their knickers in a twist over evil uncle Vlad. Nor is simply 'reversing cuts' going to make the required difference -there is no quicker way of losing a few million than giving it to the MOD.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Your own views on Polanski were pretty disturbing.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

A previous Archbishop of York resigned from his current post today, and Welby has recently launched a wide investigation into deviant clergy.

The Church is part of the problem.
  • Options
    PAW said:

"Talking of mental sickness is there no one who can put a stop to this man's prurient obsession? It's rapidly making this site unreadable" - it almost worked, I thought twice about defending Socrates - but Christ in all these years nothing has been fixed. It is the cover up that is upsetting people. It is not the same as the music teacher buggering little boys.

It's only thousands and thousands of kids raped, and hundreds and hundreds of serial rapists and child torturers walking freely in the streets. National responses and independent inquiries should be restricted for really important stuff, like voicemail hacking. Minor stuff like this should be left to local authorities to investigate their own past failings. That will surely turn over all the stones.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

You realise the Russians are responding in kind to the US exercise 'Global Thunder'?
  • Options

Socrates said:

You realise the Russians are responding in kind to the US exercise 'Global Thunder'?
    Does that entail rushing US fighter planes up to the Russian border?
  • Options

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

A previous Archbishop of York resigned from his current post today, and Welby has recently launched a wide investigation into deviant clergy.

Irrelevant nonsense.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JosiasJessop
    apparently the "mother ship" landed safely, it was the high altitude vehicle that crashed.Pilot ejected, but injured, co pilot....

Thanks. So unutterably sad. I will read the report (if they actually release it this time) with interest.

I wonder if it'll be anything as basic as the ulmer leather explosions that plagued the X1 and X15 flights at the cost of two lives? The leather was impregnated, and could explode when in contact with liquid oxygen and jarred.
  • Options
    Roger, since you've been warned before about this and ignored it, enjoy an enforced break from the site for the next 24 hours. And then behave when you come back or we'll have to extend it
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Does that entail rushing US fighter planes up to the Russian border?
    It involves practising a nuclear attack, involving a fleet of bombers and support aircraft in international air space. The USAF have been winding up their friends in the East with surveillance flights too.

The Russkies are behaving no differently.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

While there's no shortage of hatred for various political parties - I make no secret of my deep dislike of Labour - people normally have a rational reason for this based on that party's actions in government.

But the visceral hatred of UKIP by much of the middle class is different. With UKIP not having been in government, either nationally or locally, there's no reason to hate them for their actions. Or at least not yet.

The wwc.

The role of class politics and the hatred of people different to you should not be underestimated.

As this becomes more apparent we're likely to see voting blocks solidify in Britain:

wwc = UKIP

The WWC does not equal UKIP or vice versa.

UKIP is a party led by upper middle class public schoolboys, whose last leader was on old Etonian Lord. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing to the WWC (if such labels are meaningful anymore).

I do not hate kippers whether Public School ex Tory MPs or WWC electricians, but I do dislike their views of the world and would consider a tactical vote against them if I were in a seat like Rochester.
  • Options

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

That depends if you want the perfect candidate to reveal the truth or the perfect candidate to produce a 'lessons have been learnt' whitewash.
    I mean the former. I speak of John Sentamu specifically, I would never recommend Justin Welby or Rowan Williams.
  • Options
    In the Survation poll the LD actually get 0.7%, taking in mind that the Monster Raving Loonies had 0.4, 0.4, 1.2 and 0.8% in the last 4 by-election they standed, I would love to see the odds for the Loonies to beat a governing party at an election for the first time, I say 50/50.
  • Options
    Socrates - I suppose we are starting to see the "establishment" as what they are. Do they think they can ride the wave?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

considering what is happening in France no doubt you no longer visit there.

oh......
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

The wwc.

wwc = UKIP

UKIP is a party led by upper middle class public schoolboys, whose last leader was on old Etonian Lord. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing to the WWC (if such labels are meaningful anymore).

I do not hate kippers whether Public School ex Tory MPs or WWC electricians, but I do dislike their views of the world and would consider a tactical vote against them if I were in a seat like Rochester.
    Was that outbreak of flatulence necessary? I think we all already know (over and over again) what you think of KIppers....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Roger said:

The wwc.

wwc = UKIP

Was that outbreak of flatulence necessary? I think we all already know (over and over again) what you think of KIppers....
    The claim that the WWC are equal to UKIP was so risable as to require a response.

• Options

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Rubbish.

One can find examples of C of E clergy who molested children. But, I doubt if there has been a huge cover-up about child molestation. Clergy in the Diocese of Chichester have been prosecuted as a result of the Church presenting its internal findings to the police.

Archbishop Sentamu would probably be a good choice.

• Options
    PAW said:

Socrates - I suppose we are starting to see the "establishment" as what they are. Do they think they can ride the wave?

For them it is all about attaining and sustaining political power. They have no sense of moral duty.
This discussion has been closed.