Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polls still look gloomy for Rishi – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

On the North Korea is a monarchy debate.

Is North Korea preparing crown princess Kim Ju-ae as successor?
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=358090
    North Korea again directed the media spotlight on Kim Ju-ae, the daughter of leader Kim Jong-un, running a video footage of its navy commander saluting the presumed 10-year-old, rekindling a debate over whether the North is preparing to make her the rightful heir to the regime.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Aug. 29 that Kim made a congratulatory visit to the Naval Command of the North Korean People's Army (KPA) with his daughter on Aug. 27. The television network also released a video image of KPA Navy Commander Adm. Kim Myong-sik saluting Ju-ae, further fueling speculation about her elevated status.

"When the respected Comrade Kim Jong-un arrived at the Navy Command together with his beloved daughter, the officers and men of the Navy there broke into enthusiastic cheers, full of the emotion and joy of coming to high glory and privilege on its significant foundation day," the KCNA wrote. ..

Which other modern dictatorships have managed to establish rule by hereditary principle ?

Monarchy is deeply ingrained in Korean national identity.

Syria, and Cuba until recently. And Cromwell passed on to his son here.

Dictatorships often like to keep it in the family, if they can.
    Cromwell refused the Crown but became Lord Protector and Charles II quickly restored royal blood as he was invited to become King at the Restoration soon after Richard Cromwell took over
    Don't you mean, 'soon after Richard Cromwell was deposed?'
    Richard Cromwell was Lord Protector for less than a year
    The Liz Truss of Puritan dictators, so to speak
    Unfair.

Richard Cromwell didn't cause the crisis that deposed him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346
    edited August 2023
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

On the North Korea is a monarchy debate.

Is North Korea preparing crown princess Kim Ju-ae as successor?
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=358090
    North Korea again directed the media spotlight on Kim Ju-ae, the daughter of leader Kim Jong-un, running a video footage of its navy commander saluting the presumed 10-year-old, rekindling a debate over whether the North is preparing to make her the rightful heir to the regime.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Aug. 29 that Kim made a congratulatory visit to the Naval Command of the North Korean People's Army (KPA) with his daughter on Aug. 27. The television network also released a video image of KPA Navy Commander Adm. Kim Myong-sik saluting Ju-ae, further fueling speculation about her elevated status.

"When the respected Comrade Kim Jong-un arrived at the Navy Command together with his beloved daughter, the officers and men of the Navy there broke into enthusiastic cheers, full of the emotion and joy of coming to high glory and privilege on its significant foundation day," the KCNA wrote. ..

Which other modern dictatorships have managed to establish rule by hereditary principle ?

Monarchy is deeply ingrained in Korean national identity.

Syria, and Cuba until recently. And Cromwell passed on to his son here.

Dictatorships often like to keep it in the family, if they can.
    Cromwell refused the Crown but became Lord Protector and Charles II quickly restored royal blood as he was invited to become King at the Restoration soon after Richard Cromwell took over
    Don't you mean, 'soon after Richard Cromwell was deposed?'
    Richard Cromwell was Lord Protector for less than a year
    The Liz Truss of Puritan dictators, so to speak
    Rishi not quite Charles II however
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,679

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

I quite liked Rishi. He was so much of an improvement after Johnson. But is he?

On Ulez today he confirmed Harper's lie and embellished it by suggesting Starmer promoted Ulez expansion, whilst the Conservatives never supported it.

On lifting surface water restrictions Gove told some absolute whoppas today, and Rishi unflinchingly repeated them.

More interestingly the Conservatives had their LBC phone-in shills linking Starmer to Savile.

Sunak plays dirty doesn't he? He's as bad as Johnson.

The Star, in another crisp as lettuce moment, call Sunak Biggles, and have a cartoon of him in his helicopter.

Biggles is a clever line. If Sunak were up against Trump that’s what he’d be calling him.
    Not so sure. Has anyone under 50 heard of Biggles?

I have! I only read one or two but remember them as pretty darn exciting. My older sister was obsessed and has read most of them.
    My brother has over 100, though some are duplicates.

They are an interesting insight into British mentality up to the 1960s and were widely popular.

Biggles was a hero full of derring do, not really a Sunak figure. Very much a fixed wing aircraft man as I remember too.
    Biggles, along with Dan Dare and Dick Barton, stirred my understanding of class differences.
    I was more a fan of the Jennings books, and didn't pick up the class issues. Somewhat ironic given my dislike of elitist education.
    Did it not occur to you that Charles Edwin Jeremy Darbishire might just be a posh private school boy?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,975
    Andy_JS said:

"Sir Iain Duncan Smith backs 'blade runner' ULEZ vandals: Tory MP says he is 'happy' for residents of his east London constituency to destroy cameras because they have been 'lied to'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12458065/Sir-Iain-Smith-ULEZ-vandals-Tory-MP.html

Err, he does know that is his own party, very occassionally, might present policies in a manner which might mislead just a tad too?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714

Andy_JS said:

"Sir Iain Duncan Smith backs 'blade runner' ULEZ vandals: Tory MP says he is 'happy' for residents of his east London constituency to destroy cameras because they have been 'lied to'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12458065/Sir-Iain-Smith-ULEZ-vandals-Tory-MP.html

Err, he does know
    That would be a dramatic break with tradition on any given subject.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,267
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

The key question is is the nation sick and tired of the Conservatives. As they were in 1997.

Given the many versions of the Conservatives over the past decade I'm tempted to say not in the same way.

That said, largely, and for a number of reasons some exogenous and others endogenous, things are pretty shit right now so I expect the current government to get booted out at the next election but not with the same kind of Blair fervour.

My sense is that people think the country is going the wrong way. The Daily Mail article linked above is an example. They don't have a good idea how to fix it.

1979 is better comparator than 1997. Not least because Keir Starmer, strangely has a lot in common with early Thatcher. It's not necessarily a happy comparison for Starmer as Thatcher struggled in the early years and was only rescued politically by an Argentinian general invading the Falkland Islands.
    Wilson 1964 is a better comparison for Starmer although he does seem to be moving more towards New Labour policy wise
    If you told Starmer he was Labour's new Wilson he would be delighted!
    Though Wilson did lose a general election unlike Blair
    ...but won it back. Twice. (Feb 74, Oct 74).
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

The key question is is the nation sick and tired of the Conservatives. As they were in 1997.

Given the many versions of the Conservatives over the past decade I'm tempted to say not in the same way.

That said, largely, and for a number of reasons some exogenous and others endogenous, things are pretty shit right now so I expect the current government to get booted out at the next election but not with the same kind of Blair fervour.

My sense is that people think the country is going the wrong way. The Daily Mail article linked above is an example. They don't have a good idea how to fix it.

1979 is better comparator than 1997. Not least because Keir Starmer, strangely has a lot in common with early Thatcher. It's not necessarily a happy comparison for Starmer as Thatcher struggled in the early years and was only rescued politically by an Argentinian general invading the Falkland Islands.
    Wilson 1964 is a better comparison for Starmer although he does seem to be moving more towards New Labour policy wise
    If you told Starmer he was Labour's new Wilson he would be delighted!
    Though Wilson did lose a general election unlike Blair
    ...but won it back. Twice. (Feb 74, Oct 74).
    Though in Feb 1974 Heath won the popular vote
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,267
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Um, that's worrying. I'd be very surprised if it factually came from Estonia, because they're not insane. If Putin's doing a false-flag, we are in trouble.

malcolmg said:

It is brilliant , hopefully we see lots more of it.

I doubt it's a false-flag given that it seems to have destroyed a number of Russian military transport planes, but the drones from Estonia explanation may be wrong.

@malcolmg, @williamglenn

Re: characterising https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1696636257286205723 as a "false-flag"

You may have misunderstood what I was saying. A "false-flag operation" is an operation carried out by one country posing as/blamed on another. I was implying that Russia did the explosions on its own soil and blamed it on the Estonians. Such ruses have been used, both in the real world and in fiction. The Russians did it in WW2.

There seem t be some significant drone strikes from Ukraine that happened last night, across multiple areas - including NW Russia.

Is part of that this one?
    I don't know. My remark was directed at those Russia blamed on Estonia, a scenario so weird I though a false-flag was plausible
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,006
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

On Ulez today he confirmed Harper's lie and embellished it by suggesting Starmer promoted Ulez expansion, whilst the Conservatives never supported it.

On lifting surface water restrictions Gove told some absolute whoppas today, and Rishi unflinchingly repeated them.

More interestingly the Conservatives had their LBC phone-in shills linking Starmer to Savile.

The Star, in another crisp as lettuce moment, call Sunak Biggles, and have a cartoon of him in his helicopter.

Biggles is a clever line. If Sunak were up against Trump that’s what he’d be calling him.

Me.

Edit - incidentally, on checking quite a lot of them are still in print. Not all of them, because most of the later ones were of course pretty naff, but the WW1 and WW2 ones are still very easy to get hold of.
    I'm not sure 'Biggles' is quite the slur the Star intends it to be. Older readers will surely remember him as a bit of a swash-buckling hero, harking back in a rose-tinted view to an era when Britain was a world power; younger readers probably have no idea who Biggles is.
    We - or some of us - had a similar Bigglesian discussion some years back on PB. One key point made was how grim some of the WW1 novels could be. Dulce et decorum erat to be burnt alive for the glory of the Empire.
    Edit: a key piece of context which not everyone might realise is that no parachutes were provided in the RFC/RAF (and I think also the RNAS). To encourage fighting spirit. Bit shit if your plane went on fire and you couldn't escape.

Grub Street publish some rather good memoirs from the Great War in the air, and I have been slowly working through them. This one - as the title suggests - was still bitter many, many years later.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Parachute-Classic-Account-War/dp/1909166049
    I thought it was more that parachutes had not been sufficiently developed to operate with any reliability?
    They were in use. Balloon crews in the RFC/RAF, and German Luftstreitkrafte, had them well before the end of the war. One H. Goering was saved by his parachute.

Sure, the reliability of the plane ones was poor, but a hell of a lot better chance then staying with a burning plane of oil-soaked nitrate- and varnish-covered linen and wood with a leaking petrol tank.

(When I were a lad, I finished one of those balsa, tissue and dope flying model planes and when ti was all done, and dried, hung it from the ceiling to keep it out of the way. Friend comes alongn and playfully threatens to set it on fire with a match. He got a little too close and suddenly it went woomph - in a second there was nothing but the piano wire for the undercarriage falling to the floor. I would not want to be in a large scale version of one of those with a German firing tracer at me.)
    Balloon parachutes couldn't be used in aircraft.

Aircraft parachutes really became a thing in 1918 - Herman Goring used his then.

The Collett parachute was typical of the design attempts - you can understand why that wasn't adopted after looking at the design for about 15 seconds.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain can no longer be described as a Christian country, three quarters of Church of England priests believe"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/

We are still a nation of Christian heritage though as most priests believe. However Latin America, the USA, southern Africa, the Philippines, Poland, Ireland, Greece, even Italy, Germany and Canada are now more
    Christian than the UK.

Interestingly 80% of Church of England priests would support the next Archbishop of Canterbury being female too
    Or: One-in-five CofE priests are sexist.
    Well a somewhat better ratio than the Roman Catholic church where a woman cannot even become a parish priest let alone Pope.

Depends how much emphasis you put on St Paul
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

I have! I only read one or two but remember them as pretty darn exciting. My older sister was obsessed and has read most of them.

They are an interesting insight into British mentality up to the 1960s and were widely popular.

Biggles was a hero full of derring do, not really a Sunak figure. Very much a fixed wing aircraft man as I remember too.
    Biggles, along with Dan Dare and Dick Barton, stirred my understanding of class differences.
    I thoroughly recommend "Biggles flies undone" and "Biggles and Algy nip behind the hangar for a quick one".

Old ones, I know, but still goodies.
    I have never ready any of them and assume they are crap. By the time I could read English with any level of proficiency I was too old for them and went straight to Moorcock.
    Did you inherit the love of Moorcock from your mother?

Terrible I know, I’ll get my coat etc, but with a set up like that I just couldn’t resist.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD Thanks for that link last night. It is a clever reconciliation of Genesis and Evolution at least as far as Adam and Eve goes. My apologies for not remembering. You had provided this previously when we discussed it. It also explains another criticism of Genesis which is when other humans suddenly appear in the bible. It is quite imaginative.

My question however was slightly different, which was the use of 'In the beginning'. Is this just put down to interpretation or translation because it is inconsistent.

Ask Rowan Williams, he is a much better theologian than me and trained as such
    Have you got his number?
    He was Master at Magdalene College Cambridge and is now an honorary Theology Professor there where you can contact him
    https://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/user/williams
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,215
    edited August 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Me.

Edit - incidentally, on checking quite a lot of them are still in print. Not all of them, because most of the later ones were of course pretty naff, but the WW1 and WW2 ones are still very easy to get hold of.
    I'm not sure 'Biggles' is quite the slur the Star intends it to be. Older readers will surely remember him as a bit of a swash-buckling hero, harking back in a rose-tinted view to an era when Britain was a world power; younger readers probably have no idea who Biggles is.
    We - or some of us - had a similar Bigglesian discussion some years back on PB. One key point made was how grim some of the WW1 novels could be. Dulce et decorum erat to be burnt alive for the glory of the Empire.
    Edit: a key piece of context which not everyone might realise is that no parachutes were provided in the RFC/RAF (and I think also the RNAS). To encourage fighting spirit. Bit shit if your plane went on fire and you couldn't escape.

Grub Street publish some rather good memoirs from the Great War in the air, and I have been slowly working through them. This one - as the title suggests - was still bitter many, many years later.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Parachute-Classic-Account-War/dp/1909166049
    I thought it was more that parachutes had not been sufficiently developed to operate with any reliability?
    They were in use. Balloon crews in the RFC/RAF, and German Luftstreitkrafte, had them well before the end of the war. One H. Goering was saved by his parachute.

Sure, the reliability of the plane ones was poor, but a hell of a lot better chance then staying with a burning plane of oil-soaked nitrate- and varnish-covered linen and wood with a leaking petrol tank.

(When I were a lad, I finished one of those balsa, tissue and dope flying model planes and when ti was all done, and dried, hung it from the ceiling to keep it out of the way. Friend comes alongn and playfully threatens to set it on fire with a match. He got a little too close and suddenly it went woomph - in a second there was nothing but the piano wire for the undercarriage falling to the floor. I would not want to be in a large scale version of one of those with a German firing tracer at me.)
    Balloon parachutes couldn't be used in aircraft.

Aircraft parachutes really became a thing in 1918 - Herman Goring used his then.

The Collett parachute was typical of the design attempts - you can understand why that wasn't adopted after looking at the design for about 15 seconds.
    Sure, but Gould Lee was there at the time and very much of the opinion that the British didn't get their collective digit out quickly enough. And he did do some research into the archives before finishing his memoir.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

I think London may well see a swing below the national average, as Uxbridge suggested.

In 2019 of course London had the lowest Labour to Conservative swing of any region in the UK as it had little enthusiasm for Boris as PM or Brexit, I suspect it is more pro Rishi relatively than the rest of the UK and ULEZ will be an issue the Tories can use too
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,080
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

I thoroughly recommend "Biggles flies undone" and "Biggles and Algy nip behind the hangar for a quick one".

Old ones, I know, but still goodies.
    I have never ready any of them and assume they are crap. By the time I could read English with any level of proficiency I was too old for them and went straight to Moorcock.
    The early ones set in WW1 are quite gritty stories, with Biggles showing features of PTSD at times. It was later on that they became more "Boys Own".
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,074

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Me.

Biggles is not intended as a slur. Biggles is to remind us that Rishi Sunak flies everywhere.
    It’s effective because Sunak is so obviously not a swashbuckling flying ace, but does have a liking for private air transportation. Like Pocahontas, because Elizabeth Warren’s claims to Native American ancestry were so ludicrous.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Ah, the party of law and order.
    It's an "interesting" doctrine, especially when one considers what else it covers.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,074
    Idalia still deepening and now a Category 4. First major hurricane to hit the Florida big bend coast in recorded history.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,259
    TimS said:

Idalia still deepening and now a Category 4. First major hurricane to hit the Florida big bend coast in recorded history.

It's OK, global warming is a hoax so this isn't happening.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,080
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I think London may well see a swing below the national average, as Uxbridge suggested.

In 2019 of course London had the lowest Labour to Conservative swing of any region in the UK as it had little enthusiasm for Boris as PM or Brexit, I suspect it is more pro Rishi relatively than the rest of the UK and ULEZ will be an issue the Tories can use too
    I think a smaller swing than nationally, but mostly a ceiling effect as down to the base in London.

Worth noting too that a Uxbridge swing still means PM Starmer.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Incredible to think this man once led the Tory party, and is now inciting people to criminal acts. How low the Tory party has sunk.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

A smaller London swing than the national average is pretty much guaranteed. Different starting points and Labour sharing the incumbancy burden by having the Mayor.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IDS also accuses the Foreign Secretary of 'appeasement' as Cleverly holds talks with Chinese officials in Beijing and the Chinese VP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66656443
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

IDS also accuses the Foreign Secretary of 'appeasement' as Cleverly holds talks with Chinese officials in Beijing and the Chinese VP

Wow the quiet man is really turning up the volume!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I think a smaller swing than nationally, but mostly a ceiling effect as down to the base in London.

Yes but without a majority
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

A smaller London swing than the national average is pretty much guaranteed. Different starting points and Labour sharing the incumbancy burden by having the Mayor.
    IDS must be sniffing that he might just... whisper it quietly... hold Chingford.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Why would anyone lie to a camera?
    Apparently this is a thing. There is a whole sect of them lying to the camera all the time to deceive us. Call themselves actors apparently. 25 years ago they told me Cindy Beale was dead, now it appears she is back, although sometimes these things are just a dream, and they are really dead....

Anyway, I shall follow the advice of IDS, off to Walford for a bit of petty vandalism, just need to find it on the map first.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,679
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

What do we want?
    War with China!
    War with Sadiq Khan!
    When do we want it?
    Now!
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I suspect so too.
    I also wonder if Labour has almost fully tapped potential support in the Capital? You simply can't see the drift to Labour (relative to the rest of the country) that began in the Eighties continuing indefinitely.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Incredible to think this man once led the Tory party, and is now inciting people to criminal acts. How low the Tory party has sunk.
    Indeed.

Find the contrast in tone between coverage of the disruptive activities of Just Stop Oil and those vandalising ULEZ infrastructure ever so slightly jarring, especially from those that are normally staunch supporters of law and order.

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1696797081174749263
    There is a very simple way to resist ULEZ. Just pretend it doesn't exist and refuse to pay the fines. By April there was already almost £400m of unpaid fines. Add in the new zone and the number of people staunchly opposed if they don't pay en masse, the scheme becomes almost de facto voluntary.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Duncan Smith is clearly nuts.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Duncan Smith is clearly nuts.
    His comments today are a bit salty and he is well due a roasting for them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Apparently this is a thing. There is a whole sect of them lying to the camera all the time to deceive us. Call themselves actors apparently. 25 years ago they told me Cindy Beale was dead, now it appears she is back, although sometimes these things are just a dream, and they are really dead....

Anyway, I shall follow the advice of IDS, off to Walford for a bit of petty vandalism, just need to find it on the map first.
    Easy enough to find, and if you happen to go past it there are huge warning signs saying 'THE NORTH'.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,141
    Everybody (below flag rank) said moving the SSNs to Faslane from Devonport would be a retention and hence availability disaster. And, lo, it came to pass.

The problem is being exacerbated by the the fact that the Australians are now offering laterals with much improved terms of service for any Sundodger with a pulse.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Wasn't he a sort of warm-up act for Truss?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,395
    Dura_Ace said:

Everybody (below flag rank)...
    So only a minority opinion, then ?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,142
    edited August 2023

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

Find the contrast in tone between coverage of the disruptive activities of Just Stop Oil and those vandalising ULEZ infrastructure ever so slightly jarring, especially from those that are normally staunch supporters of law and order.

Can't have any complaints if the Tyre Extinguishers advance to angle grinders too.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,898
    TimS said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

The big difference I think being Starmer won’t be administering tough medicine and austerity as early Thatcher did. The 2010-2015 experiment is too recent.
    If people think things have gone the wrong way, they won't reward you if you aren't seen to change anything. That's a big risk for Starmer. At least Thatcher changed things, even if many people didn't think it was for the better.
  • Options
    Well

• Options

Well

Not Democrats, but believe in democracy.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Everybody (below flag rank) said moving the SSNs to Faslane from Devonport would be a retention and hence availability disaster. And, lo, it came to pass.

The problem is being exacerbated by the the fact that the Australians are now offering laterals with much improved terms of service for any Sundodger with a pulse.
    Noted a US submarine prowling round Skye a few weeks ago. I'd have thought Faslane > Devonport as a place to live, but I appreciate not everyone is infatuated with the west coast of Scotland.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TimS said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

The big difference I think being Starmer won’t be administering tough medicine and austerity as early Thatcher did. The 2010-2015 experiment is too recent.
    If people think things have gone the wrong way, they won't reward you if you aren't seen to change anything. That's a big risk for Starmer. At least Thatcher changed things, even if many people didn't think it was for the better.
    And inflation is likely to remain relatively high when, as is likely, he becomes PM
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I suspect so too.
    I also wonder if Labour has almost fully tapped potential support in the Capital? You simply can't see the drift to Labour (relative to the rest of the country) that began in the Eighties continuing indefinitely.
    Yes, London in 2019 saw the highest Labour voteshare of any region in the UK.

Whereas in the 1980s London was the key swing region along with the Midlands
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,749
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD Thanks for that link last night. It is a clever reconciliation of Genesis and Evolution at least as far as Adam and Eve goes. My apologies for not remembering. You had provided this previously when we discussed it. It also explains another criticism of Genesis which is when other humans suddenly appear in the bible. It is quite imaginative.

My question however was slightly different, which was the use of 'In the beginning'. Is this just put down to interpretation or translation because it is inconsistent.

Ask Rowan Williams, he is a much better theologian than me and trained as such
    Have you got his number?
    He was Master at Magdalene College Cambridge and is now an honorary Theology Professor there where you can contact him
    https://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/user/williams
    I was only joking. My question was just for interest and I was dancing on a pin head because it could easily be put down to interpretation/translation anyway.

The reconciliation of Adam and Eve with Evolution is quite clever. It is a question posed many times and which I have never seen even a slightly credible explanation of before, except for yours.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

There is a very simple way to resist ULEZ. Just pretend it doesn't exist and refuse to pay the fines. By April there was already almost £400m of unpaid fines. Add in the new zone and the number of people staunchly opposed if they don't pay en masse, the scheme becomes almost de facto voluntary.
    There is an extensive trade in stolen number plates, relating to both ULEZ and congestion charging.

For a while, there was a mobile unit thing, where the police would stop cars based on plates not matching the vehicle or reported stolen, or the car being a polluting, non-roadworthy banger.

This was stopped, IIRC, because of complaints of targeting certain groups. The mini cab drivers were especially vociferous.
  • Options
    The upcoming Polish election is also going to be an interesting moment for democracy.

Poland fills prisons with white-collar crime suspects
    Crackdown on business people denounced as ‘catastrophe’ comparable to communist-era repression
    https://www.ft.com/content/445140ab-fd7d-4433-b7ad-96959e739e7f
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

There is an extensive trade in stolen number plates, relating to both ULEZ and congestion charging.

For a while, there was a mobile unit thing, where the police would stop cars based on plates not matching the vehicle or reported stolen, or the car being a polluting, non-roadworthy banger.

This was stopped, IIRC, because of complaints of targeting certain groups. The mini cab drivers were especially vociferous.
    And people wonder why car insurance premiums are so high.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Anecdotal stuff from mid-Beds as usual but the 30K steps/day does sound impressive.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/29/labour-look-to-seize-moment-after-nadine-dorries-finally-resigns

I see Betfair's odds are converging on the 2.5 for all three parties that I've been suggesting was a best guess from the start.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.215148472

I think the Tory odds there are still a bit too long. They will hold the seat unless someone convinces floating voters that they are the challenger. (I've no further personal insight so DYOR.)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,764

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

I was more a fan of the Jennings books, and didn't pick up the class issues. Somewhat ironic given my dislike of elitist education.
    Did it not occur to you that Charles Edwin Jeremy Darbishire might just be a posh private school boy?
    State educated north London middle class, I was brought up on Jennings too, in the 1960s. In those far off days the world was seen differently. We all loved the books, and the fact that there were differences was just the way it was to an extent that would be incomprehensible now. This was not all good, but not all bad either. None of us aspired to go to boarding school, but the 'boys only, no parents, collectively feral but never evil' world was essential to its literary form.

Harry Potter uses all the same devices.

BTW, Buckeridge's short state school series, Rex Milligan, was also good stuff.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,112
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

“I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking. Recording the man shaving at the window opposite and the woman in the kimono washing her hair. Some day, all this will have to be developed, carefully printed, fixed.”
    ― Christopher Isherwood, Goodbye to Berlin

The Buggles' song inspired by the above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT3-DLFfLQY
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

For a very long period of time - going back long before the 1990s, the country has worked on two levels.

One is the legal world. You are supposed to be legit. The other is blatant criminality.

So, for example, you have building sites for domestic work. The inspectors visit the legal ones. And solemnly count the number of green first aid boxes.

Across the road, on a site without proper planning permission, on manifestly unsafe scaffolding, workers scurry around without safety gear. All cash in hand. The inspectors don't go there. Otherwise they would have an accident. Bit like the workers, really.

EDIT: on car premiums. Yes, checking insurance was part of the Police stops. Guess what they found, typically?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I have never seen the issue of women, rape victims, rape and rapists covered in quite this way. Clearing a shift has been occurring, but this style of action and reportage, which is carefully curated, deserves a new name all to itself. On the whole I think it may do good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66634382

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,749
    edited August 2023

Anecdotal stuff from mid-Beds as usual but the 30K steps/day does sound impressive.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/29/labour-look-to-seize-moment-after-nadine-dorries-finally-resigns

I see Betfair's odds are converging on the 2.5 for all three parties that I've been suggesting was a best guess from the start.

I think the Tory odds there are still a bit too long. They will hold the seat unless someone convinces floating voters that they are the challenger. (I've no further personal insight so DYOR.)

I agree it is currently impossible to call across the 3 parties.

In terms of the anecdotes, sadly we are all going to be able to produce stuff churned out by each party to prove they are in the lead (or knocking on the door). The one from the LDs last night was they had knocked on 42,000 doors which presumably is the whole constituency.

The initial posterboard count will be the first indication, in my opinion, as that will sway the floating voter as to whom is best to eject the Tory. After that it is the leaflet count. Heaven help our trees.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I agree it is currently impossible to call across the 3 parties.

In terms of the anecdotes, sadly we are all going to be able to produce stuff churned out by each party to prove they are in the lead (or knocking on the door). The one from the LDs last night was they had knocked on 42,000 doors which presumably is the whole constituency.

The initial posterboard count will be the first indication, in my opinion, as that will sway the floating voter as to whom is best to eject the Tory. After that it is the leaflet count. Heaven help our trees.
    The poster (someone remind me who?) that suggested that the Independent candidate was on good odds, was onto something, I think.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

For a very long period of time - going back long before the 1990s, the country has worked on two levels.

One is the legal world. You are supposed to be legit. The other is blatant criminality.

So, for example, you have building sites for domestic work. The inspectors visit the legal ones. And solemnly count the number of green first aid boxes.

Across the road, on a site without proper planning permission, on manifestly unsafe scaffolding, workers scurry around without safety gear. All cash in hand. The inspectors don't go there. Otherwise they would have an accident. Bit like the workers, really.

EDIT: on car premiums. Yes, checking insurance was part of the Police stops. Guess what they found, typically?
    The thing that freaks me out is the number who are on drugs.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    algarkirk said:

I have never seen the issue of women, rape victims, rape and rapists covered in quite this way. Clearing a shift has been occurring, but this style of action and reportage, which is carefully curated, deserves a new name all to itself. On the whole I think it may do good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66634382

Something different is needed. As most PB'ers are probably aware I am not really a sports fan, but even I am aware of the Spanish football issue that is going on. As another piece on the BBC website puts it...

... "The irony is that women are so often told an allegation is meaningless without evidence," says Ms Bates.

"But what we can see from this case is that even when the evidence is iron-clad the woman is disbelieved anyway, so we really can't win.

"This happened on an international stage, witnessed by millions... and yet both Rubiales and the entire football institution told her she was wrong."

She says the message that sent to Hermoso, and the wider world, was "horrifying".

"It doesn't matter who you are or what you achieve, even at the very pinnacle of your career, even with all the evidence and witnesses: we will still crush you if you dare to stand up against a powerful man."...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66632652
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

When I need to do a bit of road test and tune with an otherwise illegal vehicle, I just go on Autotrader and find the same model/year/colour at a dealer and copy those plates.

All pearl clutchers can fuck themselves before they start.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

The thing that freaks me out is the number who are on drugs.
    Strangely, the number of drivers they stopped, driving an unsafe vehicle with bogus plates, that also had no insurance *and* were driving while on drugs/drink. And often having no license at all.

It's almost as is there was a correlation.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,851
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

When I need to do a bit of road test and tune with an otherwise illegal vehicle, I just go on Autotrader and find the same model/year/colour at a dealer and copy those plates.

You are a horrible person
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

I'm trying to remember which country it was that tried the following about egregious stuff like false plates.

1) Confiscate the vehicle.
    2) Proceed to address of the offender. Confiscate all motor vehicles registered to that address, or present at the address.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes but without a majority
    As long as that fetid party you support is ejected from power, it is still a win for the country.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

I'm trying to remember which country it was that tried the following about egregious stuff like false plates.

2) Proceed to address of the offender. Confiscate all motor vehicles registered to that address, or present at the address.

No idea. Was the aim to corrupt the police because it seems a good way to elicit bribes?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,451

Andy_JS said:

He was pretty keen on an illegal war all those years ago, so the clues were always there.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Noted a US submarine prowling round Skye a few weeks ago. I'd have thought Faslane > Devonport as a place to live, but I appreciate not everyone is infatuated with the west coast of Scotland.
    It's not entirely to do with the relative merits of the two locations. They people they really needed to move were mid-career senior technical types with families and partners with their own careers, etc.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also long-established family and support networks, esp. if recruited from a Navy or service family in the Westcountry. And Guz being easier to get to from much of the UK (in population terms).
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

No idea. Was the aim to corrupt the police because it seems a good way to elicit bribes?
    Since it was probably America - probably, yes.

Asset confiscation has become criminal there - as was foretold, by among others, myself.

Police officers have been discovered to target property for seizure to match what they personally want. So they are literally stealing property to order.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,895

As I said last night, it looks like Labour are going for it, for reasons that are very LD in nature.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour a 48% chance of winning the new seat at a GE, barely changed from present. But that is based on current polling, and I don't think our central expectation here is for Labour to lead by 17% nationally on GE day, nor for tactical LD voting not to come more to the fore in this kind of seat as GE day approaches.

In other words, Bedfordshire Mid is not really a Labour target seat at GE24, just as Shropshire North and Tiverton are not really LD targets at GE24. There would be a defence put up for sure, but they'd never be central to the respective parties' definition of success.

So, a Labour victory, or even a narrow Uxbridge margin defeat, would be all about sending a message to lots of other Southern seats in particular, along the lines of "Labour Winning Here".

It is about convincing more of those voters in Southern seats with Con 45-55, Lab 20-25, LD 15-20 that Labour is the way to swing. And indeed to drive votes more heavily to the red side where southern Labour are already the more obvious challenger.

The rewards are potentially great. Baxter, again perhaps overplaying it, has Labour gaining 62 seats in Southern England outside London. Even if you land half of them, it gives Labour more routes to victory if some regions - London, the Midlands, Scotland are a bit weaker than hoped for.

Kellogg's are known for having the largest illuminated letter in Europe, a red 'K', in Manchester (is it still there). Keir wants a larger red 'K' beaming out Bedfordshire Mid across the whole of southern England.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,311
    edited August 2023
    Is Iain Duncan Smith now advocating vigilante vandalism of the public realm? Can the Tory Party stoop any lower?
  • Options
    Because under the Tories we've cut defence spending so hard that we can't get boats out of the water for maintenance...
  • Options

Is Iain Duncan Smith now advocating vigilante vandalism of the public realm? Can the Tory Party stoop any lower?

Not even vigilante, because no natural law has been broken.

"Wreck the physical apparatus of the state because politician X lied to you" is a remarkable doctrine. I'm not even going to suggest what it might be applied to on an open source discussion.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,080

What about a mass rally of the most polluting vehicles through the Chingford constituency, to show the residents what they will be missing with ULEZ?
  • Options
    Sounds like the coup in Gabon is not wholly unpopular.

Shortly after army officers appeared on national television to say they had taken power, large crowds of people went on to the Boulevard Triomphal Omar Bongo, the main street of Gabon's capital, Libreville - according to a local journalist who spoke to BBC Afrique.

Ali Bongo under house arrest, son of Omar Bongo a man with 70 bank accounts, 39 flats and a swathe of luxury cars.
  • Options

An open question.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

As I said last night, it looks like Labour are going for it, for reasons that are very LD in nature.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour a 48% chance of winning the new seat at a GE, barely changed from present. But that is based on current polling, and I don't think our central expectation here is for Labour to lead by 17% nationally on GE day, nor for tactical LD voting not to come more to the fore in this kind of seat as GE day approaches.

In other words, Bedfordshire Mid is not really a Labour target seat at GE24, just as Shropshire North and Tiverton are not really LD targets at GE24. There would be a defence put up for sure, but they'd never be central to the respective parties' definition of success.

So, a Labour victory, or even a narrow Uxbridge margin defeat, would be all about sending a message to lots of other Southern seats in particular, along the lines of "Labour Winning Here".

It is about convincing more of those voters in Southern seats with Con 45-55, Lab 20-25, LD 15-20 that Labour is the way to swing. And indeed to drive votes more heavily to the red side where southern Labour are already the more obvious challenger.

The rewards are potentially great. Baxter, again perhaps overplaying it, has Labour gaining 62 seats in Southern England outside London. Even if you land half of them, it gives Labour more routes to victory if some regions - London, the Midlands, Scotland are a bit weaker than hoped for.

Kellogg's are known for having the largest illuminated letter in Europe, a red 'K', in Manchester (is it still there). Keir wants a larger red 'K' beaming out Bedfordshire Mid across the whole of southern England.

I think Labour are right to push this one hard, a Lib Dem win is probably more damaging for their prospects in south-east England than a Tory hold.
  • Options

Because under the Tories we've cut defence spending so hard that we can't get boats out of the water for maintenance...
    Armed forces headcount 2% down from this time last year but don't forget to worry about the Russians.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's not entirely to do with the relative merits of the two locations. They people they really needed to move were mid-career senior technical types with families and partners with their own careers, etc.
    The gap between Kinloss closing and Poseidon starting up at Lossie caused a lot of bother for the RAF for the same reason.
  • Options

What about a mass rally of the most polluting vehicles through the Chingford constituency, to show the residents what they will be missing with ULEZ?
    I assume he would support vigilante action vandalising those cars? Or perhaps his constituency office?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

The gap between Kinloss closing and Poseidon starting up at Lossie caused a lot of bother for the RAF for the same reason.
    Not to mention the UK's defence capabilities. It's not as if they didn't know decades before that they needed to replace Nimrod MR.1 with something sensible.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Not even vigilante, because no natural law has been broken.

"Wreck the physical apparatus of the state because politician X lied to you" is a remarkable doctrine. I'm not even going to suggest what it might be applied to on an open source discussion.
    Vigilantism is taking the law into your own hands, right? This is just criminality with a political edge.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain can no longer be described as a Christian country, three quarters of Church of England priests believe"

Excellent news
    No it is not excellent, though 46% on the latest census in England and Wales are still Christian. Even if no longer a majority that is still a plurality and still higher than the 31% globally who are Christian.

Just the rest of the world overall has more Muslims than England and Wales, 25% to 6.5% but fewer non religious than England and Wales, 16% to 37% with no religion in England and Wales
  • Options
    I expect that HY will come along shortly to actually insist that actually the Tories are spending more actually than ever on Defence and that actually we can't trust Labour because if they get in we'd be in a ludicrous position where all our fast attack subs are tied up unable to defend us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Excellent news
    No it is not excellent, though 46% on the latest census in England and Wales are still Christian. Even if no longer a majority that is still a plurality and still higher than the 31% globally who are Christian.

Just the rest of the world overall has more Muslims than England and Wales, 25% to 6.5% but fewer non religious than England and Wales, 16% to 37% with no religion in England and Wales
    Surprised you haven’t (as is your wont) recruited the don’t knows to your cause.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Excellent news

You mean, the average person who only comes to a C of E church to be married and then to be buried, is Christian? Just the same as your actual Free Church or Plymouth Brethren? A remarkably catholic doctrine on your part (pun intended).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Excellent news

Surprised you haven’t (as is your wont) recruited the don’t knows to your cause.
    Those are the Partick Thistle supporters?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,115
    I’m amazed the IDS comments haven’t received more media attention.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095
    Pulpstar said:

Sounds like the coup in Gabon is not wholly unpopular.

Shortly after army officers appeared on national television to say they had taken power, large crowds of people went on to the Boulevard Triomphal Omar Bongo, the main street of Gabon's capital, Libreville - according to a local journalist who spoke to BBC Afrique.

Ali Bongo under house arrest, son of Omar Bongo a man with 70 bank accounts, 39 flats and a swathe of luxury cars.

Wasn't Ali Bongo a kids TV magician?
    He certainly magicked up some wealth.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Cyclefree said:

I received this bunch of flowers from one of my children today - completely out of the blue (no birthday or anything else) - with a card simply saying:

"All this, and more, simply because you're my mother xx"

I am feeling really quite tearful.

That's lovely.

Good morning, everyone. (Still lurking occasionally. )
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Excellent news

You mean, the average person who only comes to a C of E church to be married and then to be buried, is Christian? Just the same as your actual Free Church or Plymouth Brethren? A remarkably catholic doctrine on your part (pun intended).
    It is entirely impossible to enumerate the religious state of the UK or anywhere without first detailing your boundaries as to what counts in which category. Crude quantitative figures are more or less useless you are reasonably clear what they are quantifying.

It's perfectly sensible to count as Christian only those who at least go regularly to church and belong to one in terms of membership and who believe stuff. This number is of course small - a few million at most.

It is equally sensible to count those who self identify as Christian, or those who use any church's ministry in some way (hatch, match dispatch, Christmas etc). This figure is of course greater.

It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you clearly label it.

FWIW data in recent years suggests a very substantial collapse among younger punters, both generally and the the established churches in particular.

I think the days are numbered for the CoE (and perhaps CoS) to really have national coverage at a realistic level. They will carry on for some time as congregations in areas of strength.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Excellent news

Those are the Partick Thistle supporters?
    Agnostics for God and the Union!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Um, that's worrying. I'd be very surprised if it factually came from Estonia, because they're not insane. If Putin's doing a false-flag, we are in trouble.

malcolmg said:

It is brilliant , hopefully we see lots more of it.

I doubt it's a false-flag given that it seems to have destroyed a number of Russian military transport planes, but the drones from Estonia explanation may be wrong.

@malcolmg, @williamglenn

Re: characterising https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1696636257286205723 as a "false-flag"

You may have misunderstood what I was saying. A "false-flag operation" is an operation carried out by one country posing as/blamed on another. I was implying that Russia did the explosions on its own soil and blamed it on the Estonians. Such ruses have been used, both in the real world and in fiction. The Russians did it in WW2.

Sure it was Ukranians but not from Estonia
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,743

Thanks for that - have you a feel for the effect the independent candidate may have?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Excellent news

Yes of course, if they declare themselves to be Christian on the census. Part of the role of the established church is to marry and bury everyone who lives in the Parish who wants a marriage and burial in the church, even if they rarely attend church every week
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    Is IDS going to be in trouble?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,592

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

I realised they were at boarding school, but at eight years old had no notion of what this meant politically. I was very socially unaware as a primary schoolboy in North Worcestershire
This discussion has been closed.