Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polls still look gloomy for Rishi – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,819
edited September 2023 in General
imageThe polls still look gloomy for Rishi – politicalbetting.com

I always think it is important to look at the polls as a block rather than just highlighting single surveys. The above from Wikipedia shows the general election voting polls so far this month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,102
    Sooner Rishi fucks off, sooner he can get back to earning $$$ on Wall Street.

Best for him, best for us. Call the election, Sunak.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,568
    2nd
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,563
    Farooq said:

He doesn't need money, that's probably why he has politics.

His problem (well, one of them), is that he was both too late and too early.

Too late because he came into his political prime (they do so earlier thesedays) at the tailend of a long period of government, which would always have been a challenge even with a very hefty majority to defend. There's so much baggage from the time in government, and so much exhaustion within the party after that time, that's its not easy to renew or achieve things.

Too early in that he lacks experience due to his rapid rise through the ranks and aytpical period for a major part of it, and so hasn't really developed any ideas on what to do.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,530
    August polling. Very little point getting overly analytical about it.

Let's see the lie of the land in a month or two.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,438
    edited August 2023
    4th like CON? :smile:

OK 5th then!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Too late because he came into his political prime (they do so earlier thesedays) at the tailend of a long period of government, which would always have been a challenge even with a very hefty majority to defend. There's so much baggage from the time in government, and so much exhaustion within the party after that time, that's its not easy to renew or achieve things.

Too early in that he lacks experience due to his rapid rise through the ranks and aytpical period for a major part of it, and so hasn't really developed any ideas on what to do.
    He doesn't need the money, but he doesn't need to be a politician, either.
    Making money is the preserve of people with some talent and no vision. That is, people like Rishi.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Those interested in theology and politics should read Michael Shellenberger's "Apocalypse Never". In chapter 12, he says: "Environmentalism today is the dominant secular relgion of the eudcated, upper-middle-class elite in most developed and many developing nations. It provides a new story about our collective and individual purpose. It designates good guys and bad guys, heroes and villains. And it does so in the language of science, which provides it legitimacy." (p. 263)

It combines a nature worship with similarities to some pagan religions with apocalyptic ideas from "Judeo-Christian beliefs".

For an example of the first, consider the worship -- and that is not too strong a word in this area -- of killer whales. For an example of the second, consider the odd beliefs of, for example, Extinction Rebellion.

The belief that the sky is falling in seems almost universal: people believe it of global warming, of woke, of Trump and/or of Biden.

Humans seem programmed to believe that the world is coming to an end.
    Of course one day they will be correct!
    What makes you think people will be there to witness it?
    Meanwhile, in other "apocalyptic destruction of pre-existing life forms" news, have we done the latest Blue Wall poll?

Labour lead the Conservatives by 1% in the Blue Wall.

Blue Wall VI (26-27 August):

Labour 33% (+1)
    Conservative 32% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 25% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 12-13 August

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1696553302077440451
    Still no sign of tactical voters showing us a hint of bosom.
    There wouldn't be, as the R&W Blue Wall poll includes both Tory/Labour and Tory/Lib Dem seats. R&W define as "For the purposes of our tracker polling, we have limited ourselves to studying constituencies which meet five criteria: 1) The constituency is in the South of England 2) The constituency elected a Conservative MP at the 2015, 2017, and 2019 General Elections 3) At least 25% of adults in the constituency have a degree 4) The Remain vote in the 2016 Brexit referendum in the constituency was greater than 42.5% 5) The Conservatives hold the constituency on a majority of less than 10,000 over Labour OR less than 15,000 over the Liberal Democrats."

So it includes Chingford, Totnes, Uxbridge and Hitchin - very different seats where tactical voting means different things.

The results could therefore conceal a very split opposition vote or one where the Lib Dems are doing well where they need to, and Labour where they need to.

They do, though, explicitly ask about tactical voting. 55% v 30% of 2019 Labour say they could see themselves voting tactically, and 65% v 14% of 2019 Lib Dems.
    A very interesting reply from you for me to think about. Thank you. You are clearly implying Labour are on course for their best success in Blue Wall since the 1940s, massively eclipsing even Blair’s landslides.

I disagree, for the recent local election maps of Blue Wall do not at all tally with the picture you paint of Labour having widespread opportunities does it?

The LLG in Blue Wall polling is huge, there’s potential for the map to be expunged of much blue, but only if it avoids the very split FPTP Constituency vote that allows many Tories to scrape home.

And all these R&W Blue Wall polls scream at me “very split opposition vote” if we don’t see any slide from Labour to Lib Dem.
    Is there a grey wall where the Conservative vote will hold up due to a preponderance of pensioners? Coastal constituencies maybe? Any others?
    That is an excellent question. I think Grey Wall voting will play a part in the coming General Election. Constituencies where Grey Vote is higher than average will buck trends and keep Conservative MPs, when the swings bring the outcome into margins of just hundreds of votes, like recent Uxbridge.

I think Uxbridge may have had an element of this, but as hypothesis, i haven’t seen any statistics that puts Grey Vote in Uxbridge higher than average.
    Personally, I think Uxbridge risks giving a massive bum steer to the Tories' General Election strategy.

I think the correct steer they should take from it is that, if they can find a really good issue to pin on a local non-Tory council or mayor, they should milk it for all it's worth as Labour support is wide but rather shallow. It's not terribly novel to say that you look for a good local issue if the national picture is bad, but it's no less true for being obvious.

I think the steer they will in fact take is that there is a generalised mood against green policies, and also that local hot button topics play as well at a General Election as at a by-election. My instinct is that neither of those are correct.

They won't be the only people to take a major bum steer from a success. In 2015, the Lib Dems "learned" from their Eastleigh defence that they could fight a by-election style defence in 40+ seats and hope for a good success rate. That absolutely didn't happen - they over-targeted and didn't abandon held seats that they plainly ought to have cut adrift.
    I think this is a very good point. Politicians are very bad at learning lessons after all.
  • Options
    Sir Norfolk P makes number of excellent points at tail end of last thread re: tactical voting.

The closer to the next GE, the greater the resources available to voters who which to vote tactically - resources that will be independent, or leastways NOT directly dependent, on competing party propaganda.

Also, opposition parties will have to do much more fishing or cutting bait in GE environment, than they have to do for by-elections. Indeed, by-election competition and it's results, will help establish the parameters for party GE tactical voting strategy (including ways and means of possible cooperation).
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

He doesn't need the money, but he doesn't need to be a politician, either.
    Making money is the preserve of people with some talent and no vision. That is, people like Rishi.
    The comparison is not apt, because being a politician gets him something another £100m does not. So while he does not need to be a politician, no one does, it has additional appeal for him.

Maybe he really does just want to give back to the country. Maybe he thinks he is an amazing dude and the country would be lucky to be run by him. Maybe he likes public attention, even if as with most politicians a lot of it is just hate. I doubt he'll be sad for long when he's out of office, but he will miss some of what it gave him.

I mean, you have literal billionaires who get kicks trolling people on twitter, clearly people find satisfaction in very odd ways.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,404
    edited August 2023
    Ulez. The odd but unremarked thing about today's anti-Ulez protest was its being held outside Downing Street rather than anywhere near City Hall. Will people end up blaming the government instead of the Mayor, Conservatives instead of Labour? It would be such a shame if cynical Tory politicking had blowback.
  • Options
    I'm two years behind the curve on this one, so apologies if it's been gone over a thousand times before, but here's a NYT visual investigation of the January 6th coup attempt for those like me who hadn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJVMoe7OY0

This is why I want Trump d... jailed.

(graphic violence warning on the video)
  • Options
    Best thing about "Cookie and the Eccles Cake" as a kid's book, is that you can go in a lot of different directions - including potentially totally different tomes for different audience of rug-rats.

For example, I'm assuming that most tikes in UK know what an Eccles cake is all about/

Whereas US brats wouldn't have a clue. AND they wouldn't know, at least for starters, if the leading non-cake character was what Perfidious Albionians call (with their usual charming cluelessness) a "biscuit", OR instead the cook who baking the cake?

But our Cookie would still get the glory!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,634
    FPT

Those interested in theology and politics should read Michael Shellenberger's "Apocalypse Never". In chapter 12, he says: "Environmentalism today is the dominant secular relgion of the eudcated, upper-middle-class elite in most developed and many developing nations. It provides a new story about our collective and individual purpose. It designates good guys and bad guys, heroes and villains. And it does so in the language of science, which provides it legitimacy." (p. 263)

It combines a nature worship with similarities to some pagan religions with apocalyptic ideas from "Judeo-Christian beliefs".

For an example of the first, consider the worship -- and that is not too strong a word in this area -- of killer whales. For an example of the second, consider the odd beliefs of, for example, Extinction Rebellion.

It also tends to conveniently denigrate the views of working-class and lower middle-class people. Very useful for a mostly middle-class movement.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,500

Best thing about "Cookie and the Eccles Cake" as a kid's book, is that you can go in a lot of different directions - including potentially totally different tomes for different audience of rug-rats.

For example, I'm assuming that most tikes in UK know what an Eccles cake is all about/

Whereas US brats wouldn't have a clue. AND they wouldn't know, at least for starters, if the leading non-cake character was what Perfidious Albionians call (with their usual charming cluelessness) a "biscuit", OR instead the cook who baking the cake?

Sadly, my guess is that most Brits don't have a clue what an Eccles cake tastes like. This is a terrible shame, because - when done well - an Eccles cake is a sublime thing. Utterly delicious, like a mince pie but a thousand times better
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,017
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

It also tends to conveniently denigrate the views of working-class and lower middle-class people. Very useful for a mostly middle-class movement.
    While 46% of ABC1 might vote Green, 36% of C2DE also might.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/10/22/what-do-britons-make-greens

So don't let your prejudices get too strong.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sadly, my guess is that most Brits don't have a clue what an Eccles cake tastes like. This is a terrible shame, because - when done well - an Eccles cake is a sublime thing. Utterly delicious, like a mince pie but a thousand times better
    Haven't had them in a good few years. I found them in the Tesco on the first floor of Grand Central in Birmingham New Street back in 2017 I think.
  • Options

I quite liked Rishi. He was so much of an improvement after Johnson. But is he?

On Ulez today he confirmed Harper's lie and embellished it by suggesting Starmer promoted Ulez expansion, whilst the Conservatives never supported it.

On lifting surface water restrictions Gove told some absolute whoppas today, and Rishi unflinchingly repeated them.

More interestingly the Conservatives had their LBC phone-in shills linking Starmer to Savile.

Sunak plays dirty doesn't he? He's as bad as Johnson.

The intent is as bad; unsurprising since his role models were Johnson and Cummings. It didn't have to be that way, but it increasingly looks like it is. Besides, it's the same people in the backroom doing the same stuff.

The saving grace, of a sort, is that Sunak isn't as good at it. Sunak doesn't have the style to lie smoothly, unlike the master, and it shows.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,489
    Leon said:

Have you had the ones at St John? Huge fat buggers served with a slice of Lancashire.
  • Options

Ulez. The odd but unremarked thing about today's anti-Ulez protest was its being held outside Downing Street rather than anywhere near City Hall. Will people end up blaming the government instead of the Mayor, Conservatives instead of Labour? It would be such a shame if cynical Tory politicking had blowback.

Mum and I have decided to sit it out and only use the car once or twice a week.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,219
    Still a long way to go for Rishi to have any chance of re election, however he has made progress in saving the Tory furniture.

The 25-30% the Conservatives are now polling is rather better than the 20-25% they were polling before Truss resigned
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,438
    HYUFD said:

Still a long way to go for Rishi to have any chance of re election, however he has made progress in saving the Tory furniture.

The 25-30% the Conservatives are now polling is rather better than the 20-25% they were polling before Truss resigned

Up til very recently I thought CON were good for 220 - 250 minimum but it all looks a bit hopeless and desperate now. 150 - 200 could really be on now!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Rishi has a net worth of £730 million, even if he never worked again if he loses power he would still be the richest ex PM in 100 years, maybe ever and his US home is in California not NYC
  • Options

I doubt it given the next Mayoral election and London Assembly election will be before the next general election
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,147

I quite liked Rishi. He was so much of an improvement after Johnson. But is he?

On Ulez today he confirmed Harper's lie and embellished it by suggesting Starmer promoted Ulez expansion, whilst the Conservatives never supported it.

On lifting surface water restrictions Gove told some absolute whoppas today, and Rishi unflinchingly repeated them.

More interestingly the Conservatives had their LBC phone-in shills linking Starmer to Savile.

Sunak plays dirty doesn't he? He's as bad as Johnson.

The Star, in another crisp as lettuce moment, call Sunak Biggles, and have a cartoon of him in his helicopter.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,382
    Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    ·
    8h
    🚨 Nadiem Amiri REJECTED a £5m move to Leeds after he flew in by private jet to look around the city with his family.

After he saw the city and the training ground, he called Leverkusen and said he didn’t want to join.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    6h
    This is the price you pay when you're Europe's largest city without a tram ;)

But seriously, compared to France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Poland....basically everywhere - Britain's large towns and non-London cities are falling way behind. Getting embarrasing.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,076

Well, Grant Shapps did order the Mayor to do it.
  • Options

Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    ·
    8h
    🚨 Nadiem Amiri REJECTED a £5m move to Leeds after he flew in by private jet to look around the city with his family.

After he saw the city and the training ground, he called Leverkusen and said he didn’t want to join.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    6h

But seriously, compared to France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Poland....basically everywhere - Britain's large towns and non-London cities are falling way behind. Getting embarrasing.

No, it's just distressed, obsessed, unpatriotic uncreconciled remainers who say that, in elitist publications like... erm... The Daily Mail;

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,458
    Is it really possible for one input error allegedly by a French airline to cause NATS to implode ? What sort of system falls apart that easily .

And in episode 377 of polishing the Brexit turd the DE is proclaiming the wonderful benefits as the UK can now ditch an EU environmental rule and pump more sewage into rivers !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,289
    nico679 said:

Is it really possible for one input error allegedly by a French airline to cause NATS to implode ? What sort of system falls apart that easily .

And in episode 377 of polishing the Brexit turd the DE is proclaiming the wonderful benefits as the UK can now ditch an EU environmental rule and pump more sewage into rivers !

If it was easy it would have happened before, given how many flights they handle each year.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,196

Ulez. The odd but unremarked thing about today's anti-Ulez protest was its being held outside Downing Street rather than anywhere near City Hall. Will people end up blaming the government instead of the Mayor? It would be such a shame if cynical Tory politicking had blowback.

In a sense it is ultimately the government's responsibility. They could always do a Thatcher and abolish City Hall if it came to it.
  • Options
    Pskov airbase in Russia was attacked by drones which the Russians are saying came from Estonia.

https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1696636257286205723
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,738
    @BartholomewRoberts sorry to hear about your new 23 mile commute. Puts you in the top 5% longest commutes in England & Wales.

My parents used to do one of similar length in Scotland but happily had the train as an option.
  • Options
    Also coordinated drone attacks at Byansk and Tula.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,500

Putin retaliates against Estonia. World War 3?

BRACE
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Rishi has a net worth of £730 million, even if he never worked again if he loses power he would still be the richest ex PM in 100 years, maybe ever and his US home is in California not NYC
    The point wasn't about how wealthy he is or how much money he may or many not need, but that he is a vapid loser and needs to sling his fucking hook.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 979
    Eabhal said:

@BartholomewRoberts sorry to hear about your new 23 mile commute. Puts you in the top 5% longest commutes in England & Wales.

My parents used to do one of similar length in Scotland but happily had the train as an option.

Is 23 miles really that un-typical a commute outside of cities?
    I'm currently doing exactly that distance to my work. Very rare it takes as much as 30 minutes, 65-70mpg from my old diesel car means it only costs about £5 a day even at current bonkers fuel prices.
    It's amazing how great the UK is as soon as you get away from the bits in the south with too many people in them.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,363
    edited August 2023

Leon said:

Haven't had them in a good few years. I found them in the Tesco on the first floor of Grand Central in Birmingham New Street back in 2017 I think.
    Have them regularly. They are our go to treat. Not good for a diet though. If well made even the raisins are soaked in butter (or non dairy butter alternative of your choice). All the big supermarkets still sell a version of them
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    theProle said:

Eabhal said:

I'm currently doing exactly that distance to my work. Very rare it takes as much as 30 minutes, 65-70mpg from my old diesel car means it only costs about £5 a day even at current bonkers fuel prices.
    It's amazing how great the UK is as soon as you get away from the bits in the south with too many people in them.
    23 miles doesn't sound that long to me. It is a bit longer than average in the countryside, but not hugely so. For example, lots of people who live outside provincial cities like Birmingham or Sheffield would commute 23 miles to get there.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

We were talking about this sort of thing a few months ago. Occasionally you get a one in a billion computer error that brings down the system.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Depends on how you do your urban/rural split. In very rural areas, perhaps. But even in spots like Gwynedd or Northumberland, there are roughly an equal number of commutes more or less than 10km (6 miles).
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

23 miles doesn't sound that long to me. It is a bit longer than average in the countryside, but not hugely so. For example, lots of people who live outside provincial cities like Birmingham or Sheffield would commute 23 miles to get there.
    Very rare. That's 37 km.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Census 2021 stats:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/traveltoworkenglandandwales/census2021#distance-travelled-to-work

The majority of people who travelled to work travelled less than 10 kilometres
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Census 2021 stats:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/traveltoworkenglandandwales/census2021#distance-travelled-to-work

To be fair Stuart, we've tried data before but we haven't got anywhere. I'm sure BR will be along to explain why it's been measured wrong or something.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,384

Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    ·
    8h

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    6h

Nothing to do with Leeds as a city it seems, and all about the negotiations.

More generally, tired of those pandering takes on "X" that the UK can be cost-free wealthier while working less. Large French towns and non-Paris cities were literally on fire for much of the summer. As for Italy surging ahead - Bastani, don't make me laugh
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,300
    Leon said:

BRACE
    Apparently, WW3 would be totally worth it for Donbas to be under the heel of a different set of oligarchs that might otherwise be the case.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,632
    edited August 2023
    EPG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

BRACE
    Apparently, WW3 would be totally worth it for Donbas to be under the heel of a different set of oligarchs that might otherwise be the case.
    Some think it would be worth it to hand over everywhere as far as Bergen because a bad man is saying a scary thing.
    Yes, we should.

That’s entirely because, once I’ve finished my Violet Club 1-in-1 scale replica, I am going to demand a large chunk of Europe for my new living room. I expect all the realists here to support me.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,631
    I'll put in a word for the Chorley cake. Good night.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I'll put in a word for the Chorley cake. Good night.

Heresy raising its ugly head!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,691

Pskov airbase in Russia was attacked by drones which the Russians are saying came from Estonia.

Um, that's worrying. I'd be very surprised if it factually came from Estonia, because they're not insane. If Putin's doing a false-flag, we are in trouble.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,463
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Census 2021 stats:

To be fair Stuart, we've tried data before but we haven't got anywhere. I'm sure BR will be along to explain why it's been measured wrong or something.
    Thanks for your sympathy, but I don't need it.

I'd rather do a 28 minutes, 23 mile commute in the comfort of my own car, listening to my own music as I drive down the motorway, than a 10km, 1 hour commute in public transport being stuffed into tin cans full of sweaty individuals that I have no business being in their personal space of. Thanks but no thanks.

Hell, ignore the debate of cars and everything else for one second and just think about how people here react to their own transportation. @CorrectHorseBat doesn't like cars but is always moaning about the state of public transportation that he uses.

I don't grumble if I have issues with my car, I fix them and move on.

The majority of people may have smaller than 10km commutes, I don't dispute that figure. I also don't recognise its relevance. A 9km commute can be done in a car in the fraction of the time, and much more comfort, and all-round more efficiently in direct point-to-point private transportation than using public transportation. Many people's sub-10km commute distance will take longer than my 23 mile one, not to forget of course not everyone is in the "majority" - approximately half of people are in the minority.

I've done cycling, its fun. I've done public transport, not so much. And I've done cars, they're simply the most efficient of all. Nothing wrong with that - but if others want to use less efficient transportation, they should absolutely feel free to.

PS according to the TUC the average commute time is 59 minutes per day. So my 56 minutes per day puts me at better than average, for a top 5% commute distance apparently. So what does that tell you?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

We've been discussing the "EU environmental rule" all day today.

Long story short, yes its absolutely fantastic that the UK can drop an absurd, ridiculous rule that prevents house building and does not reduce pollution whatsoever.

Overcrowded housing creates the same amount of water pollution as the same people managing to have their own homes. Forcing people to live in overcrowded HMOs whose shit still needs processing should never have been considered an appropriate alternative to building more houses, it is a disgusting and disgraceful policy that you should be embarrassed to be associated with.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Um, that's worrying. I'd be very surprised if it factually came from Estonia, because they're not insane. If Putin's doing a false-flag, we are in trouble.
    I doubt it's a false-flag given that it seems to have destroyed a number of Russian military transport planes, but the drones from Estonia explanation may be wrong.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I doubt it's a false-flag given that it seems to have destroyed a number of Russian military transport planes, but the drones from Estonia explanation may be wrong.
    I feel almost offended that we're not getting the credit this time.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I feel almost offended that we're not getting the credit this time.
    Give it time. It was too late for the TV shows. We’ll have to see what their scriptwriters come up with tomorrow.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

BRACE
    :innocent:

• Options
    gonatasgonatas Posts: 14
    OT
    It is a lovely still and moonlit night here in Herefordshire. Sleep surprisingly elusive and not even a read through this thread is going to send me back to the land of nod so I have been pondering.
    To get a handle on the scale of the Tory defeat at the next GE we need to form a view as to where their disgruntled former voters are going to put their cross, if they do.
    I would guess that a lot of them are decent folk who are so disgusted with the present iteration of the natural party of government - a combination of meanness incompetence and bonkers - that they will not vote for it.
    Will they really go the whole hog and vote against the party that has, in general, served them so well for the last forty years?
    Somehow I doubt it.
    I would factor in mass abstention leading to a low turnout and a not quite fifth mass extinction event. 147 seats max.
    But what do I know?
    Night night.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,269
    gonatas said:

OT
    It is a lovely still and moonlit night here in Herefordshire. Sleep surprisingly elusive and not even a read through this thread is going to send me back to the land of nod so I have been pondering.
    To get a handle on the scale of the Tory defeat at the next GE we need to form a view as to where their disgruntled former voters are going to put their cross, if they do.
    I would guess that a lot of them are decent folk who are so disgusted with the present iteration of the natural party of government - a combination of meanness incompetence and bonkers - that they will not vote for it.
    Will they really go the whole hog and vote against the party that has, in general, served them so well for the last forty years?
    Somehow I doubt it.
    I would factor in mass abstention leading to a low turnout and a not quite fifth mass extinction event. 147 seats max.
    But what do I know?
    Night night.

That’s the sense I get. Rather like 1997

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,472
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Census 2021 stats:

A few percent is, of course, still "lots of people", which accounts for the anecdata.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    "Britain can no longer be described as a Christian country, three quarters of Church of England priests believe"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/
  • Options

viewcode said:

"May be" ?
    The chances of Estonia launching an attack on Russia are pretty well zero.

That they have supplied drones to Ukraine is well known.
    https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2023/06/tallinns-tally-estonias-weapons.html?m=1
    No attack drones of that range, I think ?
  • Options
    Graphic account from a mortuary near the front line.

'Dying by the dozens every day' - Ukraine losses climb
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66581217
  • Options
    On the North Korea is a monarchy debate.

Is North Korea preparing crown princess Kim Ju-ae as successor?
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=358090
    North Korea again directed the media spotlight on Kim Ju-ae, the daughter of leader Kim Jong-un, running a video footage of its navy commander saluting the presumed 10-year-old, rekindling a debate over whether the North is preparing to make her the rightful heir to the regime.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Aug. 29 that Kim made a congratulatory visit to the Naval Command of the North Korean People's Army (KPA) with his daughter on Aug. 27. The television network also released a video image of KPA Navy Commander Adm. Kim Myong-sik saluting Ju-ae, further fueling speculation about her elevated status.

"When the respected Comrade Kim Jong-un arrived at the Navy Command together with his beloved daughter, the officers and men of the Navy there broke into enthusiastic cheers, full of the emotion and joy of coming to high glory and privilege on its significant foundation day," the KCNA wrote. ..

Which other modern dictatorships have managed to establish rule by hereditary principle ?

Monarchy is deeply ingrained in Korean national identity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,769
    theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Most people do live in cities and larger towns, though. So, while 23 miles is far from unusual, that means that you are driving at least 15,000 miles per year which puts you in about the 90th percentile.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I suspect the reality is that Russia is sparsely populated, Ukrainians are not easily distinguishable from the native population, and drones are pretty small.

Your truck pulls up away from major population areas, and the drones fly off and perform their mission.

If you feel safe waiting for their return, great. If not, you simply disappear and the authorities have nothing to go on.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,595
    Leon said:

BRACE
    Nope.

Putin is a classic bully. He only picks on the weak, which NATO isn't.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,371
    rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Most people do live in cities and larger towns, though. So, while 23 miles is far from unusual, that means that you are driving at least 15,000 miles per year which puts you in about the 90th percentile.
    46x230=10580 why at least 15000?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,751
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

BRACE
    The problem with that is that Russia does not want *just* Donbass. It wants to either politically or territorially control large swathes of Eastern Europe.

Just giving Russia Donbass does fuck-all to guarantee peace in the medium or long term. You are essentially Chamberlain waving a piece of paper in the air.

It also puts Russia and Ukraine on the same moral footing. I'd argue that we've seen that as being *very* wrong.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

I'm assuming the car will also be used for non work purposes from time to time. But you know what... Even 10,000 miles per year gets you into the 78th percentile.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

I'm assuming the car will also be used for non work purposes from time to time. But you know what... Even 10,000 miles per year gets you into the 78th percentile.
    10k miles commuting is also 90th percentile for commuting.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,751
    viewcode said:

Russian media spouts loads of rubbish, often contradictory. The reality will be somewhat different, and more worrying for Russia:

*) Ukraine have actually got very long-range drones that Russia did not detect as they took a detour around their territory.
    *) There are squad(s) of Ukrainian special forces launching these from within Russia.

I quite like the latter option, especially as it will cause Russian security services issues. But then the question becomes how the Ukrainians are getting the drones (which are not small, even in flatpack) across the border and into Russia. But as we saw earlier in the year, the Russian border can be more poroous than anyone expected.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,252
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/10/22/what-do-britons-make-greens

And they won't.

We used to see polling like this under Charles Kennedy with maps of how yellow the UK would look like if everyone did it.

The Greens are LDs to the max: they are anti-development NIMBYs and conservationists favouring lower taxes on small businesses in rural areas, and radical left-wing activists in urban areas.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

You only work 5 days a week, 46 weeks a year? Pah!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,252
    Nigelb said:

On the North Korea is a monarchy debate.

Is North Korea preparing crown princess Kim Ju-ae as successor?
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=358090
    North Korea again directed the media spotlight on Kim Ju-ae, the daughter of leader Kim Jong-un, running a video footage of its navy commander saluting the presumed 10-year-old, rekindling a debate over whether the North is preparing to make her the rightful heir to the regime.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Aug. 29 that Kim made a congratulatory visit to the Naval Command of the North Korean People's Army (KPA) with his daughter on Aug. 27. The television network also released a video image of KPA Navy Commander Adm. Kim Myong-sik saluting Ju-ae, further fueling speculation about her elevated status.

"When the respected Comrade Kim Jong-un arrived at the Navy Command together with his beloved daughter, the officers and men of the Navy there broke into enthusiastic cheers, full of the emotion and joy of coming to high glory and privilege on its significant foundation day," the KCNA wrote. ..

Which other modern dictatorships have managed to establish rule by hereditary principle ?

Monarchy is deeply ingrained in Korean national identity.

Syria, and Cuba until recently. And Cromwell passed on to his son here.

Dictatorships often like to keep it in the family, if they can.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,066
    Nigelb said:

I repeat a comment I made about 10 days ago. Ukraine is almost all in on this offensive. It is either going to achieve a decisive breakthrough or dreams of victory are going to die. Russia seem fully extended too and it remains possible they will break. But one way or another this war is going to be decided in the next couple of months and the cost is going to be severe.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

And they won't.

We used to see polling like this under Charles Kennedy with maps of how yellow the UK would look like if everyone did it.

The Greens are LDs to the max: they are anti-development NIMBYs and conservationists favouring lower taxes on small businesses in rural areas, and radical left-wing activists in urban areas.
    I am not surprised that you are hostile to Green politics, but the party does get support across a wide range of demographics and is generally seen positively by voters. In PR elections such as the Euros it does well.

I think unlikely to hold even a single seat in the next parliament, but like UKIP in the past the Greens may well have a lot of influence on how our politics works.

People don't want shit in all our rivers and beaches. That appeals to all classes and ages, except of course those running the Tory Party.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,922
    edited August 2023

gonatas said:

OT
    Somehow I doubt it.
    But what do I know?
    Night night.

Me too.

Events can and will change things, maybe for the better, maybe not. For the moment I'm sticking with my very broad prediction of somewhere 100 and 250, so Gonatas's guess of 147 strikes me as being as good as any.

I agree with his sleepless analysis though. Massive Tory abstentions much more likely than going the whole hog and voting for a Party with which they have nothing in common.
  • Options
    Interesting piece about the very rapid evolution of drone technology under war time conditions in Ukraine: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/29/2190293/-Ukraine-Update-The-future-is-disposable-as-Ukraine-showcases-a-world-of-cheap-and-plentiful-drones

If I was in charge of security, anywhere in the world, looking after a fixed target, these stories would be giving me nightmares. It is surely just a matter of time before these cheap, hard to detect, easy to operate drones become the weapon of choice of every terrorist group on the planet.
  • Options

gonatas said:

OT
    Somehow I doubt it.
    But what do I know?
    Night night.

Me too.

Events can and will change things, maybe for the better, maybe not. For the moment I'm sticking with my very broad prediction of somewhere 100 and 250, so Gonatas's guess of 147 strikes me as being as good as any.

I agree with his sleepless analysis though. Massive Tory abstentions much more likely than going the whole hog and voting for a Party with which they have nothing in common.
    I made the point the other day that between 1992 and 1997 turnout fell by 6 percentage points, almost all of it disaffected Tories who just didn't vote. Given the general competence of the Major government once Ken Clark was in the Treasury they have so much more to be disaffected about this time. I will vote and I will vote Tory because of the independence thing we have going on up here but if it wasn't for that I am really not sure I could hold my nose hard enough.
  • Options

gonatas said:

OT
    Somehow I doubt it.
    But what do I know?
    Night night.

Me too.

Conservative abstentions combined with a lack of enthusiasm (or hostility*) for Starmer suggests a low turnout election.

The modern era low of 59.4% was achieved in 2001: could that be "beaten" next time around?

* Except for BJO, obviously
  • Options

gonatas said:

OT
    Somehow I doubt it.
    But what do I know?
    Night night.

Me too.

I agree with his sleepless analysis though. Massive Tory abstentions much more likely than going the whole hog and voting for a
    Party with which they have nothing in common.
    I observe trends rather than predict details like seat numbers. I agree on the abstention point.

(As a complete aside I had dinner last night with some Georgian politicians… oh man Trump’s in trouble…)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

I repeat a comment I made about 10 days ago. Ukraine is almost all in on this offensive. It is either going to achieve a decisive breakthrough or dreams of victory are going to die. Russia seem fully extended too and it remains possible they will break. But one way or another this war is going to be decided in the next couple of months and the cost is going to be severe.
    Your conclusion does not follow from your premise though.

I absolutely hope that Ukraine make a decisive breakthrough this time, but if they fail to do so that doesn't mean there can't be a decisive breakthrough next year, or even the year after. Wars, even total wars, can often last years before the decisive breakthrough.

I will repeat a comment I made about 18 months ago - long, heavy wars are won on logistics, not battles. If Ukraine can repair or replace its losses better than Russia can over the winter, then even if weakened by their current attacks they could be in a much healthier relative position than Russia is come next spring.

Ukraine is consistently gaining new NATO-level equipment. They haven't even got their F16s in the field yet.
    Russia is continually reaching further and further back in their Cold War stockpile.

NATO has better logistics than Russia. In the claim by Russian pundits that they're fighting NATO, that element is actually reasonable to consider.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

And yet the majority of those polled in Ukraine think the war will continue for at least a year.

They're not happy about that - but support for fighting the invasion does not seem to have waned.
    I don't think you have any more idea than I do if what will happen, but I'd note those looking on have consistently underestimated Ukrainian will to fight.

It also seems that the very high casualty rates from the start of the counteroffensive have dropped significantly as they've learned from their mistakes.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Very rare. That's 37 km.

My commute is 10k, I do it by bike most of the time and train/tube otherwise. It's quite pleasant either way although I WFH two days a week and appreciate the time savings.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

And yet the majority of those polled in Ukraine think the war will continue for at least a year.

They're not happy about that - but support for fighting the invasion does not seem to have waned.
    I don't think you have any more idea than I do if what will happen, but I'd note those looking on have consistently underestimated Ukrainian will to fight.

It also seems that the very high casualty rates from the start of the counteroffensive have dropped significantly as they've learned from their mistakes.
    The French were very up for the fight until Verdun. This is an existential war for Ukraine and their choices are limited but the cost in terms of their young men, their very future, is terrible. I really want them to win but stories such as that on the BBC show the terrible cost they are enduring.

The best hope is that someone gets rid of Putin and the new ruler decides that they have bigger fish to fry at home rebuilding a shattered economy.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,889
    The key question is is the nation sick and tired of the Conservatives. As they were in 1997.

Given the many versions of the Conservatives over the past decade I'm tempted to say not in the same way.

That said, largely, and for a number of reasons some exogenous and others endogenous, things are pretty shit right now so I expect the current government to get booted out at the next election but not with the same kind of Blair fervour.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Very rare. That's 37 km.

My commute is 10k, I do it by bike most of the time and train/tube otherwise. It's quite pleasant either way although I WFH two days a week and appreciate the time savings.
    My commute this week is a round trip of 160 miles. I made a serious mistake commenting on how long juries take on here. Back again this morning for a verdict I hoped to have, one way or another, yesterday.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,455
    I cant really fathom the Tory strategy except to hope that something turns up in time to deliver a GE victory... with another 15 months to go is it me or is it painful watching this slow burn to a GE that may just return a hung Parliament or at a small majority Govt... I dont buy a landslide a la 1997 BREXIT may just rally the Tory vote as those undecideds are targetted and a split Lab/LibDem/Green vote save a fair few Tory seats
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Very rare. That's 37 km.

On average, if you don't mind me asking, how long does it take to do the commute either by cycling or via train/tube?

One of the biggest difference I think between the efficiency of cars and t he lower efficiency of public transport, is that cars can go direct whereas many people's commute requires not 1 but 2 buses or trains. If you need to change buses or trains then you need to wait at the platform twice to get picked up and that is extra dead time in your commute.

That's I guess part of the reason why my commute, although longer than average, is more importantly to me faster than average. Distance isn't as big a problem if you have speed.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    As an alternative to the ULEZ set up, why not allow each Borough or neighbourhood to set up their own clean air company. The company would have a statutory duty to deliver air that meets WHO air quality guidelines and it could be sued by any resident if it failed in that duty. This would establish clean air as a resource that could then be sold to polluters with the price set such that demand equalled supply. The revenue would then be delivered to residents in the form of an annual dividend - basically a rent payment for the common resource of clean air. The price would vary by neighbourhood - it would be highest in areas where demand to pollute was greatest. Vehicles would all be fitted with trackers that would show which neighbourhood the car had driven in and for what distance and at what time of day. If necessary the price could fluctuate so that it would be highest in the busiest periods as well as the busiest areas. The price would also vary by type of vehicle, essentially set on a per weight of particulate emitted basis - so zero for electric vehicles. Any car without a tracker entering the zone would have to pay a flat fee that would be shared among the neighbourhoods and hence residents. Fees and dividends would be highest in inner London and lowest in outer suburbs. Any neighbourhood where air quality already meets WHO guidelines could set their tariff at zero. All tariffs would be publicly available to view at all times and could easily be incorporated into Google maps etc for planning routes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,382
    Eabhal said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Depends on how you do your urban/rural split. In very rural areas, perhaps. But even in spots like Gwynedd or Northumberland, there are roughly an equal number of commutes more or less than 10km (6 miles).
    Quite a lot of rural workers live where they work, of course. Farmers. Tourist site managers. Shopkeepers if any are left. Etc...

That may be skewing the stats a bit.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,345
    edited August 2023
    TOPPING said:

The key question is is the nation sick and tired of the Conservatives. As they were in 1997.

Given the many versions of the Conservatives over the past decade I'm tempted to say not in the same way.

That said, largely, and for a number of reasons some exogenous and others endogenous, things are pretty shit right now so I expect the current government to get booted out at the next election but not with the same kind of Blair fervour.

Question is, does that matter?

Johnson's 2019 win wasn't because he was particularly well regarded, it's just that Corbyn was seen as far worse. A resigned shrug "can't have him, so he'll have to do" win can still be a landslide when converted into Commons seats.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 717
    edited August 2023
    DavidL said:

Interesting piece about the very rapid evolution of drone technology under war time conditions in Ukraine: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/29/2190293/-Ukraine-Update-The-future-is-disposable-as-Ukraine-showcases-a-world-of-cheap-and-plentiful-drones

If I was in charge of security, anywhere in the world, looking after a fixed target, these stories would be giving me nightmares. It is surely just a matter of time before these cheap, hard to detect, easy to operate drones become the weapon of choice of every terrorist group on the planet.

I saw a piece yesterday about this: the ultimate in cheap and disposable. They'll be ubiquitous oon
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,382
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

Very rare. That's 37 km.

My commute this week is a round trip of 160 miles. I made a serious mistake commenting on how long juries take on here. Back again this morning for a verdict I hoped to have, one way or another, yesterday.
    Ouch.

Mine is a bit of a puzzle. It's 24 miles, door to door by the shortest route. In the real world, it's about 35 because the shortest route is through rush-hour Wolverhampton.

Which category should I go into?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

I absolutely hope that Ukraine make a decisive breakthrough this time, but if they fail to do so that doesn't mean there can't be a decisive breakthrough next year, or even the year after. Wars, even total wars, can often last years before the decisive breakthrough.

I will repeat a comment I made about 18 months ago - long, heavy wars are won on logistics, not battles. If Ukraine can repair or replace its losses better than Russia can over the winter, then even if weakened by their current attacks they could be in a much healthier relative position than Russia is come next spring.

Ukraine is consistently gaining new NATO-level equipment. They haven't even got their F16s in the field yet.
    Russia is continually reaching further and further back in their Cold War stockpile.

NATO has better logistics than Russia. In the claim by Russian pundits that they're fighting NATO, that element is actually reasonable to consider.
    It's also much easier to sustain a defence than an offensive.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think so. More likely that the Ukranian offensive peters out as the weather deteriorates, and a lower level of attrition carries on over the winter, but without much movement.

A good article here on how the summers battles are evolving. Particularly well evidenced on the rate of loss of Russian artillery over the last couple of months. The Ukranians seem to have become really quite effective at counterbattery fire. As more than half of battle casualties are from artillery, that bit of attrition seems to be going Ukraines way.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/08/30/ukrainian-counteroffensive-genocide-of-russian-artillery/

• Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

If a Republican becomes US President in January 2025 and Ukraine has no decisive advantage by then, the entire equation changes.

• Options

Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    ·
    8h

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    6h

This is true. And Dirty Leeds doubly so. They have spent an awful lot of money redeveloping the riverside and its impressive! The rest is awful, and the lack of decent roads or a public transport network makes it hard to get around.
This discussion has been closed.