Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s biggest challenge could be meeting expectations – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,732
edited July 2023 in General
imageStarmer’s biggest challenge could be meeting expectations – politicalbetting.com

This YouGov polling sets out very clearly what voters think will change if Starmer does indeed become PM in the next 18 months.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,727
    Perhaps.

On a technical note, I'd wonder about the overlap between several of those categories: overall standard of living, the cost of living, income inequality and the economy might all refer to the same thing.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    Thing that occurs to me, scanning the header numbers, are the two areas where Labour scored the the lowest = small boats and defense.

Because they also show the highest numbers of "don't know" AND "no impact" along with high "worse"numbers on par with Lab scores on cost of living issues (multiple as DJL notes).

Which makes me think that there is possibility - hardly inevitable, but possible - that Starmer and his party could (maybe) improve in these areas. Based either on something good that Labour says/does, or something bad that Conservative say/do (likely more likely) or some combination.

On other hand, Cons could gain and Labs lose ground on these and/or other areas. However, my sense is that advantage is with the Opposition, mainly because it IS the Opposition.
  • Options
    The government, although I suspect not all of its supporters, will be pleased so many people think defence will be worse under Labour, given this government is cutting the army to 73,000 men, its smallest since the 18th Century.
  • Options
    No 10 ‘acting like North Korea’ to fast-track Rishi Sunak’s Brexit deal
    Ministers accused of rigging Parliament by replacing five Eurosceptic MPs from a committee with Remain voters

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/17/number-10-acting-like-north-korea-rishi-sunak-brexit-deal/ (£££)

A Conservative government divided over Europe. Has this ever happened before?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929
    I'd imagine many things will get worse before they get better.

Some quick wins for Starmer could be fixing nhs pensions mess (perhaps even offering a higher lifetime allowance for those who return), offering one-time vouchers to go private to reduce nhs waiting list (abroad if necessary), renegotiate with France to have small boat asylum processed in France...
  • Options
    Typo watch: 'Millions of emails' for US military sent to .ml addresses in error
    Good thing Mali isn't best pals with Russia right no– oh, shoot

https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/18/us_military_mali_email_typos/

US military = .mil
    Mali = .ml
    Oops.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,115
    edited July 2023

Typo watch: 'Millions of emails' for US military sent to .ml addresses in error
    Good thing Mali isn't best pals with Russia right no– oh, shoot

https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/18/us_military_mali_email_typos/

US military = .mil
    Mali = .ml
    Oops.

What really amusing, is that the admin of .ml TLD has been warning the US military about this for years, and is still collecting 1,000 mis-addressed emails every day.

It should actually be easy to send them back based on the formatting, but that requires the .ml guy to spend money. I suspect he wants the .mil guys to pay the bill, or at least to buy a load of .ml domains, and is embarrassing them into doing so.

Obviously this is external mail coming in to the military, so isn’t likely to be anything particularly secret. They have their own internal systems for that sort of communication.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038
    FPT
    Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

Reforestation. Restoration of peat bogs. This is the sort of action we need to take CO2 from the atmosphere.

Direct air capture. It's what plants do.

I like this post so much that a mere 'like' is not enough
    Reforestation is amateur hour. Trees are the ridiculous result of a beggar-my-neighbour arms race and have nothing to offer over and above ground level vegetation. Except huggability.
    Not true. They also have a massive part to play in reducing temperatures at ground level. So much so that these days this is a basic part of town and city planning.
    Yes, sure, because by a spooky coincidence the arms race pays off in towns and cities where humans, for their own reasons, want ground level to be tarmac rather than a bog or a shrubbery. In countryside which is going to be countryside anyway, trees are pointless.
    Funny how, if you leave it all to nature, they end up covering the whole place then. :)
    Yes. You just said that they have a part to play in town and city planning. So which is it?
    Erm both. They are not mutually exclusive.
    If you look at frinstance elephant seals, you will find that an alpha male has a harem of approx 50 females, leaving fuck all for the other 49 males (ignoring the statistically negligible birth-rate differential between m and f). Which clearly sucks for elephant seals, and probably isn't great for the planet in general. So why do you think that what muvva nature dictates is a good thing? What specific benefit are you arguing for, for trees vs other forms of photosynthetic life?
    Elephant Seal mating is more interesting and subtle than this implies.

Yes, a "beach master" elephant seal will control a stretch of beach with 50 or so females, defending it against male rivals.

But, male rivals do sneak in and father about 10% of pups.

The beach master controls an area, rather than a harem, and females can and do choose which bit of beach, and therefore male for mating.

Females sexually mature earlier and live longer so have multiple breeding seasons, while being "beachmaster" is such a physical strain that a male only does one year, being exhausted and is defeated and replaced the following year.

So while this seems at first look a system for "alpha males" in practice it is rather more even than it seems. This year's alpha male is next years spent force.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,252
    Anyone think CPI will go down tomorrow? 👿
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    rkrkrk said:

Some quick wins for Starmer could be fixing nhs pensions mess (perhaps even offering a higher lifetime allowance for those who return), offering one-time vouchers to go private to reduce nhs waiting list (abroad if necessary), renegotiate with France to have small boat asylum processed in France...

The pensions lifetime allowance has been abolished, so mostly fixed. Because this only applies from this tax year, and tax is paid 9 months after the end of the year we haven't seen its impact yet.

The private system is heavily used for straight forward stuff already, indeed makes up half or more of the work of most private hospitals at present. The problem is that they won't touch people with multiple co-morbidities, as have very little on site medical staff out of hours. So fine if you need a hip replacement but otherwise well, less so if diabetic, and on clopidogrel after a stroke. Then you get rejected, and the DGH gets the complex post op care. This is a much larger share now than previously of surgical waiting lists. The low hanging fruit is mostly gone.

I think there is some possible solution to the small boats problem by opening safe routes. The way to do this is to allow asylum applications at British embassies overseas. The asylum seeker therefore needs to keep their documents and records to substantiate a claim, is waiting overseas in the meantime, so has an incentive to not string out the process, indeed to resolve it quickly, and part of the assessment would include establishing why Britain is an appropriate site of asylum.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2023
    CIS poll in Spain gives a clear lead for PSOE/SUMAR by nearly 2 points putting them significantly out of line with all other polls - as is regularly the case. Just 6 days to find out if they are right and all the others wrong!
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    rkrkrk said:

I'd imagine that most things will get worse and then keep getting worse. Certainly the notion that Labour's prescription for putting the NHS to rights - broadly, following most Conservative policy (especially on spending restraint) to the letter and spouting vague aspirational guff about technology, whilst the population continues to both grow and age relentlessly and doctors hold endless rounds of disruptive strikes demanding enormous pay rises - is for the birds.

We're not going to get change for the better from an incoming Government that's committed to going out of its way to change as little as possible.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

I'd imagine that most things will get worse and then keep getting worse. Certainly the notion that Labour's prescription for putting the NHS to rights - broadly, following most Conservative policy (especially on spending restraint) to the letter and spouting vague aspirational guff about technology, whilst the population continues to both grow and age relentlessly and doctors hold endless rounds of disruptive strikes demanding enormous pay rises - is for the birds.

We're not going to get change for the better from an incoming Government that's committed to going out of its way to change as little as possible.
    There is no room whatsoever for optimism under a LAB government
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,436
    edited July 2023
    Good morning.

It's dubious whether Tony Blair had 'better communication skills.' If you listen to any of his speeches they are vacuous. He never said anything of real substance. His grasp of English grammar was poor, with terrible syntax. His performances in Parliament were often weak. He had a second class mind. Starmer is much brighter than Blair.

Perhaps Mike means that he was more telegenic.

And I've no idea what this comment means: 'The last LAB leader to win a majority was better prepared politically.' This is meaningless.

Will Starmer be any good? It's certainly going to take a long time. The country is in a considerably worse condition than when Blair took over.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Has Sir Kid Starver u turned on his u turn yet.

Very politically damaging either way
  • Options
    pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

Surely Starmer is just saying all that to appease the Right?

In reality the NHS etc. will improve under people who actually believe in it.

We had all this 'nothing much will change' before 1979. Incredible to think but it's true.
  • Options
    However, my sense is that advantage is with the Opposition, mainly because it IS the Opposition.

Normally but in this case is it actually what is it opposing?

• Options
    edited July 2023

Oh look Big John posts an anti-Starmer message ;)

Let's be frank. If Keir Starmer turned out to be a Sheffield Wednesday fan and invested £1bn in your club, you'd still be critical.

It comes across as somewhat myopic. Just as Sunak is not all bad, neither is Starmer. I hope in time, mainly for your own sake, that you will come to acknowledge the good in him.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

We had all this 'nothing much will change' before 1979. Incredible to think but it's true.
    SKS,Cooper, Streeting all funded by private sector health interests. NHS is not safer under Labour for the first time in my lifetime than under the blue Tories
  • Options

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

Nonsense.

There's plenty of room for optimism, unless you are a diehard Conservative.

However, and it's a big however, it's going to take a long time to turn things around. That they will is extremely likely.

The biggest place for pessimism comes not from the centre or the right, but for those of us who have more left leanings. Here, I fear, Starmer may prove to be disappointing.
  • Options
    Question before I go, how is putting "Sir Kid Starver" either clever or gracious?

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

There are, broadly, two possibilities:

(1) Starmer is in thrall to the very rich and to the wealthy grey vote, whose deep pockets he must pick if he's to make real progress in solving the nation's omnicrisis (notably in dealing with the health and social care needs of our ever-increasing burden of decrepit and elderly people, and constructing heroic numbers of new homes) - hence the near-total lack of ambition
    (2) Starmer is lying about everything in order to lull these groups into a false sense of security, peddling a Conservative manifesto which he intends to dump in favour of a social democratic redistributive platform as soon as the dumb saps have been conned into voting him into office

Neither scenario is particularly encouraging; Occam's razor suggests that the first is more likely to prove correct.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Oh look Big John posts an anti-Starmer message ;)

Let's be frank. If Keir Starmer turned out to be a Sheffield Wednesday fan and invested £1bn in your club, you'd still be critical.

It comes across as somewhat myopic. Just as Sunak is not all bad, neither is Starmer. I hope in time, mainly for your own sake, that you will come to acknowledge the good in him.
    U haven't answered the question.
  • Options
    Does anyone think Thur by elections will change anything? CON have been losing by elections huge since 1931.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Question before I go, how is putting "Sir Kid Starver" either clever or gracious?

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx

Diddums
  • Options
    I bet LAB turns out to be a bit useless 😈👿
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    p.s. Quick one. Things at Hoylake for The Open this weekend look pretty 'interesting,' or 'ghastly,' depending on your perspective. Not much better for the cricket either if it's still going on days 4 and 5. But it's the golf that looks spikey. This from the latest UK Met Office output:

Saturday rain:

Sunday wind:

• Options

I have pretty low expectations of Starmer, but the economy will start to grow again next year, and that will create some leeway for him.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,742
    Foxy said:

I have pretty low expectations of Starmer, but the economy will start to grow again next year, and that will create some leeway for him.
    Are you bullish or bearish regarding stock market at the moment?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,291
    Heathener said:

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx

I don't particularly like it, in the same way I don't like all the snide comments about Sunak's height.

But I suppose it's all in the long and rather sad tradition of political 'discourse' ...
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 863
    pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

(1) Starmer is in thrall to the very rich and to the wealthy grey vote, whose deep pockets he must pick if he's to make real progress in solving the nation's omnicrisis (notably in dealing with the health and social care needs of our ever-increasing burden of decrepit and elderly people, and constructing heroic numbers of new homes) - hence the near-total lack of ambition
    (2) Starmer is lying about everything in order to lull these groups into a false sense of security, peddling a Conservative manifesto which he intends to dump in favour of a social democratic redistributive platform as soon as the dumb saps have been conned into voting him into office

Neither scenario is particularly encouraging; Occam's razor suggests that the first is more likely to prove correct.
    Or:
    (3) Once the election is called, Labour publish a manifesto that is as radical as it can be given the finances. It surprises everyone in its ambition, especially given how little was leaked beforehand. It tests the new-found loyalty of the grey vote, but swiftly passes a vague societal basic fairness test, and so is hard for people to publicly oppose. By this point Labour have been established in the public mindset as the party to be trusted economically, as well as the party offering a change, so the grey vote reluctantly (mostly) still go for it.

One can but hope pigeon!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Are you bullish or bearish regarding stock market at the moment?
    Fairly bearish.

Rising interest rates will be a problem for a lot of firms, and growth likely to be flat this year.
  • Options
    maxh said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

Or:
    (3) Once the election is called, Labour publish a manifesto that is as radical as it can be given the finances. It surprises everyone in its ambition, especially given how little was leaked beforehand. It tests the new-found loyalty of the grey vote, but swiftly passes a vague societal basic fairness test, and so is hard for people to publicly oppose. By this point Labour have been established in the public mindset as the party to be trusted economically, as well as the party offering a change, so the grey vote reluctantly (mostly) still go for it.

One can but hope pigeon!
    May tried to 'surprise' the electorate with her social care package. It did not work out well for her - despite the desperate need for change in that area.

Sometimes policies need the groundwork put in place long before an election; a constant stream of narrative backed up by soundbites. Plucking something out of thin air at election time makes it appear as though you do not believe in it, and that it is ill-considered.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx

I don't particularly like it, in the same way I don't like all the snide comments about Sunak's height.

But I suppose it's all in the long and rather sad tradition of political 'discourse' ...
    Totally agree with you.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,251

Thing that occurs to me, scanning the header numbers, are the two areas where Labour scored the the lowest = small boats and defense.

Because they also show the highest numbers of "don't know" AND "no impact" along with high "worse"numbers on par with Lab scores on cost of living issues (multiple as DJL notes).

Which makes me think that there is possibility - hardly inevitable, but possible - that Starmer and his party could (maybe) improve in these areas. Based either on something good that Labour says/does, or something bad that Conservative say/do (likely more likely) or some combination.

On other hand, Cons could gain and Labs lose ground on these and/or other areas. However, my sense is that advantage is with the Opposition, mainly because it IS the Opposition.

It's hard to see how Labour would run the defence department more incompetently than has been done for the last decade (though there's no compelling evidence they'd be any better).
  • Options
    The following tweet reminds me of the posts a certain poster made at the time of the MH17 shootdown.

https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1680869355913895936
  • Options
    Looking at those polling numbers, it's a bit of a stretch to describe the public as having "high hopes" for anything at all from a Starmer government.
    Unless he proves completely incompetent, he's more likely to surprise on the upside.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571

Anyone think CPI will go down tomorrow? 👿

Yes, but not by much, a few tenths of a percent.
  • Options
    Not any family holidays I've taken. Or, I suspect, 90% of the electorate.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1680954500100640768
    .@GillianKeegan: “Most of our private schools are nothing like Eton or Harrow, they’re far smaller and they charge a lot less. Many cost the same as a family holiday abroad”

I know averages can be deceptive but how many families who use private schools *don't* have a hol abroad?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Nigelb said:

It's hard to see how Labour would run the defence department more incompetently than has been done for the last decade (though there's no compelling evidence they'd be any better).
    "Reputation in the world" should improve, I'd think. The current view of most governments of the Conservatives seems to be a mixture of amusement and irritation.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

.@GillianKeegan: “Most of our private schools are nothing like Eton or Harrow, they’re far smaller and they charge a lot less. Many cost the same as a family holiday abroad”

I know averages can be deceptive but how many families who use private schools *don't* have a hol abroad?

Rather reminiscent of those average middle class folk struggling to pay for their nannies or their second homes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601
    Nigelb said:

Looking at those polling numbers, it's a bit of a stretch to describe the public as having "high hopes" for anything at all from a Starmer government.
    Unless he proves completely incompetent, he's more likely to surprise on the upside.

I think we’ve all had our fill of surprises on the upside, thank you very much!
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

My view is that Starmer thinks that the economic position is such a mess that only a small number of actions that cost money are possible in the first couple of years, both because they'd alarm voters and because they'd damage the medium term. He'll therefore look for 2-3 things to highlight nearer the election. A good deal of the current lack of commitment is to avoid those balance sheet leaflets which top up every promise made over the last 5 years to give the impression of either irresponsibility or unreliability.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,047
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. B, I went to a private secondary school. During my time there I think I had one foreign holiday.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

More than you might think.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

My view is that Starmer thinks that the economic position is such a mess that only a small number of actions that cost money are possible in the first couple of years, both because they'd alarm voters and because they'd damage the medium term. He'll therefore look for 2-3 things to highlight nearer the election. A good deal of the current lack of commitment is to avoid those balance sheet leaflets which top up every promise made over the last 5 years to give the impression of either irresponsibility or unreliability.
    He's heavily under Mandelson's influence at the moment, do you agree?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,883
    Heathener said:

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx

Starmer rightly has a question to answer here. Not to Conservatives who presumably are quite content to starve kids. But to the population, and to those kids, he does.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

In answer to the second question, a very large number. It was one of the things you noticed in the mid-level private schools I worked in and with, that many of the children talked about their camping holidays in Devon.

I don't take foreign holidays myself very often (I haven't left the country since Covid hit) so I don't know how much they cost these days. However, prep school fees often hover around the £5-6,000 mark which doesn't sound ridiculously out of line for a family holiday in a tourist hotspot in say Spain.

Keegan is an idiot but she isn't making a stupid point here. Far too much discourse about private schools is skewed towards the top end, not considering the cheaper end.

That has rather different problems of its own that need addressing but they never get talked about.
    When my kids were at Dundee High School the fees were something like £8k a year, increasing faster than inflation throughout. Even that was about double the cost of a family holiday for 4 or 5 and when I had 2 kids at the school we struggled to have a week somewhere relatively cheap. It was a major commitment but I think it was worth it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,455
    Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

Nonsense.

There's plenty of room for optimism, unless you are a diehard Conservative.

However, and it's a big however, it's going to take a long time to turn things around. That they will is extremely likely.

The biggest place for pessimism comes not from the centre or the right, but for those of us who have more left leanings. Here, I fear, Starmer may prove to be disappointing.
    Surely if you are a diehard Conservative there would be plenty of optimism in a Labour government. The corruption of the Tory party into whatever the hell it is now would have been thrown out of office.

That creates the space for non-mentaliat true Tories (ones who haven't voted for PC) to take control from the crooks and spivs and remaining mince and steer their party back towards actual Conservatism.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Heathener said:

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx

Starmer rightly has a question to answer here. Not to Conservatives who presumably are quite content to starve kids. But to the population, and to those kids, he does.
    I can understand not wanting to take on financial liabilities that will be depicted as a "tax bombshell" as per 1992. It was that poster, more than the Sheffield rally or Major's soapbox that did for Kinnock.

There does have to be some sense of purpose though, even if more vaguely stated in terms of "a fair deal for young families" or some such.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,720
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Rather reminiscent of those average middle class folk struggling to pay for their nannies or their second homes.
    Median disposable family income for non retired people is about £34000. (Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2022). It's the sort of figure the government likes to latch onto when curtailing public sector pay.

Spending £5000 of that on either a holiday or school fees seems ambitious. I'm sure there are people who sacrifice foreign holidays for school fees, but you have to be pretty comfortable to do either.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,426
    Cunning plan: give people absolutely no expectations except the single one that you’re nor the fcking Tories.
    Wheels come of said plan when you become indistinguishable from the fcking Tories,
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

In answer to the second question, a very large number. It was one of the things you noticed in the mid-level private schools I worked in and with, that many of the children talked about their camping holidays in Devon.

I don't take foreign holidays myself very often (I haven't left the country since Covid hit) so I don't know how much they cost these days. However, prep school fees often hover around the £5-6,000 mark which doesn't sound ridiculously out of line for a family holiday in a tourist hotspot in say Spain.

Keegan is an idiot but she isn't making a stupid point here. Far too much discourse about private schools is skewed towards the top end, not considering the cheaper end.

That has rather different problems of its own that need addressing but they never get talked about.
    One of the odd benefits of private schools is their weird terms can make family holidays much cheaper. Though Devon is far less déclassé than e.g. the more expensive Magaluf or Marmaris

£5-6k is about right for Spain, Greece or Portugal for a decent hotel and all-inclusive for a family of four (2 weeks in summer hols). Turkey is cheaper.

Re. Cost for this vs private fees (or indeed other outgoings - doing up house, better car, etc) for a big chunk of the population the summer holiday is a huge priority over any of these. The annual fortnight of carefree comfort and good weather with the family is more valuable to most than the marginal gains of a prep school or granite tops in the kitchen.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,455
    Do have to giggle at "Sir Kid Starver." It's like Trot bingo - name a policy and demand that it must be overturned on day 1 of a Labour government. If they agree name another policy. Then another. Then another.

Until you get to one where they say "hang on, we're going to be pretty busy and need to prioritise" and then it's "AHA HE'S A TORY".

If BJO was a progressive, he would back the incoming Labour government and the progress it will undoubtedly make. Progress. Not revolution. Not reactionist demands from a self-styled people's collective.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,877

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

I disagree with the tenor of the header. Look at those expectations of Labour. they are not high, they are on the floor, so much so that I think this is the worst polling I have seen for Labour in a long time.

People expect Labour to be barely better that this omnishambles of a government.

It's a bad situation, sure, but Wilson and Blair sold optimism in fair times (certainly by 1964, 1997) and Attlee sold a radical reshaping of society in the bad times (albeit at a lot of short term cost). Starmer by cutting his offer back so much risks selling neither. Never mind Wilson, he needs to find a little of his inner Attlee, because society needs reshaping now, not just the TLC to public services that sufficed in 97.

Starmer is on the very cusp of overdoing the hands tied schtick and reducing the Labour offer to near nothing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Are you sure about your figure of £5k-£6k? From what I can see that is the typical average PER TERM. In which case £15k would get you a good holiday in Europe.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

The extent to which the Tories have fucked our economy and infrastructure with austerity’s false economies in particular leading to the Johnsonian magic money tree (i.e. debt and deficit) leaves Starmer in a very difficult spot, and barring a few economic historians and counterfactualists I suspect posterity will not be kind to him.

He really needs to have a strong media discipline to maintain the line that he is coming in to fix a decade of mismanagement, and like a head-shaking plumber be clear that this is a costly and difficult mess that will take some time to fix.

I’m quite glad he’s not promising the moon on a stick.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Median disposable family income for non retired people is about £34000. (Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2022). It's the sort of figure the government likes to latch onto when curtailing public sector pay.

Spending £5000 of that on either a holiday or school fees seems ambitious. I'm sure there are people who sacrifice foreign holidays for school fees, but you have to be pretty comfortable to do either.
    Indeed. And with the cost of mortgages going up, neither is more likely.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Are you sure about your figure of £5k-£6k? From what I can see that is the typical average PER TERM. In which case £15k would get you a good holiday in Europe.
    £15k = Florida!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,140
    Interesting anecdote from elsewhere. The North Yorkshire Mayoral election candidate selection has finished for the Tory Party.

Across the entire county only 194 people were bothered to vote for a candidate...
  • Options

Do have to giggle at "Sir Kid Starver." It's like Trot bingo - name a policy and demand that it must be overturned on day 1 of a Labour government. If they agree name another policy. Then another. Then another.

Until you get to one where they say "hang on, we're going to be pretty busy and need to prioritise" and then it's "AHA HE'S A TORY".

If BJO was a progressive, he would back the incoming Labour government and the progress it will undoubtedly make. Progress. Not revolution. Not reactionist demands from a self-styled people's collective.

There isn’t much cringier than contrived puns made on politician’s names; ‘Bliar’ etc. See also ‘Liebour’, ‘Lib Dumbs’ and so on.

Sir Keith was kind of funny though, I guess - and Cruella was amusing for a five minutes.

It’s true that the Corbynites are almost as allergic to compromise as they are to winning elections (a comorbidity of the extremes). And democracy means compromise and slow progress.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I went to both state and private schools. I did not go abroad once until I was an adult. My parents spent most of their money running a business and keeping three kids at good schools, and we took holidays on some beloved family land in Devon.

I don't think I was that unusual either, especially in my private primary school.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,991
    Those numbers don’t say high expectations to me. There is no overall majority in any category for improvement. I’m in the opposite camp to Mike here: if Labour does take power, low expectations could be the new government’s best friend. Perhaps along with how the Tories react.
  • Options
    agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 88
    Political leader attacked by opponents; how astonishing.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,931
    edited July 2023

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I went to both state and private schools. I did not go abroad once until I was an adult. My parents spent most of their money running a business and keeping three kids at good schools, and we took holidays on some beloved family land in Devon.

I don't think I was that unusual either, especially in my private primary school.
    I am not an economist, but isn't a business supposed to generate money?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

Not that I'm aware of - Mandelson has been invited to give advice but it's about the same level as Blair - clearly worth a listen, but not decisive. I think Starmer has made his own calculation - keep expectations and fear low, win, do better than expected.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,115

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

£15k is now about average day school fees. Inflation in school fees has been running a lot higher than inflation in holidays for quite some time. Back in my day(!) three decades ago, a week in Majorca for a family was about the same as the year’s school fees.

Add me to the list of PBers who had one foreign holiday in seven years while attending a private secondary school. It’s a decision made by many, many parents in that boat.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

p.s. Quick one. Things at Hoylake for The Open this weekend look pretty 'interesting,' or 'ghastly,' depending on your perspective. Not much better for the cricket either if it's still going on days 4 and 5. But it's the golf that looks spikey. This from the latest UK Met Office output:

Saturday rain:

Sunday wind:

A few players that like the wind include Lowry, Fleetwood and Herbert.

I'm still working on my shortlist. Wyndham Clark will be on it. Probably Koepka.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,174
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

On the other hand, there are foreign holidays and foreigh holidays. Package hols in the Med can be a LOT cheaper than a UK holiday, except perhaps a camping holiday. And a cheapo foreign holiday is still a foreign holiday whether in Magaluf or not. Which tends to devalue its value as a marker of proleness and oikity as opposed to private prudence and potential poshery.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Pro_Rata said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

I disagree with the tenor of the header. Look at those expectations of Labour. they are not high, they are on the floor, so much so that I think this is the worst polling I have seen for Labour in a long time.

People expect Labour to be barely better that this omnishambles of a government.

It's a bad situation, sure, but Wilson and Blair sold optimism in fair times (certainly by 1964, 1997) and Attlee sold a radical reshaping of society in the bad times (albeit at a lot of short term cost). Starmer by cutting his offer back so much risks selling neither. Never mind Wilson, he needs to find a little of his inner Attlee, because society needs reshaping now, not just the TLC to public services that sufficed in 97.

Starmer is on the very cusp of overdoing the hands tied schtick and reducing the Labour offer to near nothing.
    I still hold to the view that if you shape shift your principles so as not to frighten the horses you reach a point where those principles are forgotten. Not being able to see that sticking with the two child welfare cap was an impending car crash is a symptom of that.

I’m reminded of that episode of Colditz where a pow (Michael Bryant?) pretends to be insane so he could be repatriated to the UK. Lo and behold by the time he was repatriated..
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,617

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.

Again, we come back to people are obsessed with the high end.

Also, I said 'prep school' which tend to have lower fees. Not so many staff to pay, you see.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,720

Those numbers don’t say high expectations to me. There is no overall majority in any category for improvement. I’m in the opposite camp to Mike here: if Labour does take power, low expectations could be the new government’s best friend. Perhaps along with how the Tories react.

Would be interesting to see the same figures for a continuation of Conservative government under Rishi.

One take on all this is that the UK faces a hangover after decades of doing various sorts of dumb stuff, hangovers aren't meant to be fun, but Starmer is the man to lead us through the hangover with some competence and decency.

Basically the good dad teenagers need after a bender. Then, once the headache has gone away, we can write a letter to all those people we were so rude to whilst pissed out of our minds.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

£15k is now about average day school fees. Inflation in school fees has been running a lot higher than inflation in holidays for quite some time. Back in my day(!) three decades ago, a week in Majorca for a family was about the same as the year’s school fees.

Add me to the list of PBers who had one foreign holiday in seven years while attending a private secondary school. It’s a decision made by many, many parents in that boat.
    Is there a list of PBers who never set foot outside the UK until they turned 20 and whose parents would never even have considered sending them to private school? (State grammar and a week camping in Wales for me)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make, but yes, businesses should generate money. Much of that goes back in investment, and school costs for three kids - even back then, when private schools were cheaper - were considerable.

My parents invested in us kids. At least two of the investments worked out well... ;)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,765
    Further proof that Australia will soon be a republic.

The Australian state of Victoria has pulled out of hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games due to projected cost overruns, placing the future of the quadrennial event in doubt.

The Premier of Victoria, Dan Andrews, said the cost of the Games, which would have been held in four regional hubs, could blow out to more than A$7 billion (about £3.7 billion) from a budgeted A$2.6 billion (£1.4 billion) if they went ahead.

“Frankly A$6-A$7 billion for a 12-day sporting event, we’re not doing that,” Andrews said. “I will not take money out of hospitals and schools to fund an event that is three times the cost as estimated and budgeted for last year.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/australian-commonwealth-games-victoria-pulls-out-of-hosting-2026-event-z9jljhq57
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

At your private primary school, maybe not - but by almost by definition that's atypical.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

There's certainly an argument that parents make sacrifices to send children to private school, but those numbers aren't credible.

Prep school fees are £3-4k per term aren't they ? That's ignoring the top end of the market.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make, but yes, businesses should generate money. Much of that goes back in investment, and school costs for three kids - even back then, when private schools were cheaper - were considerable.

My parents invested in us kids. At least two of the investments worked out well... ;)
    You wrote that your "parents spent most of their money running a business". Most people, unless they have another source of income, don't spend money running a business; they run the business in order to generate money!
  • Options

Stocky said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

rkrkrk said:

Not that I'm aware of - Mandelson has been invited to give advice but it's about the same level as Blair - clearly worth a listen, but not decisive. I think Starmer has made his own calculation - keep expectations and fear low, win, do better than expected.
    He's clearly calculating victory in everything he does (which involves not scaring the horses); jettisoning honesty and principle along the way. His focus is 100% on the win.

I don't like the bloke, I admit, but I see what he is up to and in a way admire it. I said from the start that Starmer is the Tories' worst nightmare.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

At your private primary school, maybe not - but by almost by definition that's atypical.
    I was there from about 1977 to 1983. I'd argue that foreign holidays were not as common then as they are now. Also, school costs were less.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,656
    edited July 2023
    Starmer's focus is entirely on winning the next election: nothing else matters to him. Everything he says needs to be interpreted through that prism. Having defeated the Corbynistas/anti-semitic tag, he sees two huge risks remaining, that the Tories will campaign on and that must be dealt with now, well before the GE campaign kicks off:

1. Labour is soft on immigration/wants open borders/Brexit etc.
    2. Labour is fiscally incontinent; as PB Tories remind us frequently, very good at spending other people's money.

So, all Starmer (and Reeves) is doing is a zero-risk strategy to neutralise these attack lines. It's not attractive to those of us on the left, but it seems to be working. Once in power, I expect Starmer to surprise on the upside. Unlike Truss.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Is there a list of PBers who never set foot outside the UK until they turned 20 and whose parents would never even have considered sending them to private school? (State grammar and a week camping in Wales for me)
    It's a bit four Yorkshiremen on here this morning.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,883
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Heathener said:

Think on these things.

Have a good day all.

xx

I can understand not wanting to take on financial liabilities that will be depicted as a "tax bombshell" as per 1992. It was that poster, more than the Sheffield rally or Major's soapbox that did for Kinnock.

There does have to be some sense of purpose though, even if more vaguely stated in terms of "a fair deal for young families" or some such.
    Yes. I think Labour will be stuck defending the indefensible until the election. Starmer won't want to be seen to U Turn on this when he already has a reputation for changing his mind.

It's an unnecessary place to have put himself into, assuming he does actually care about child poverty. He's not good at rhetoric, which is a politician's necessary tool. See also "making Brexit work".
  • Options

Starmer's focus is entirely on winning the next election: nothing else matters to him. Everything he says needs to be interpreted through that prism. Having defeated the Corbynistas/anti-semitic tag, he sees two huge risks remaining, that the Tories will campaign on and that must be dealt with now, well before the GE campaign kicks off:

1. Labour is soft on immigration/wants open borders/Brexit etc.
    2. Labour is fiscally incontinent; as PB Tories remind us frequently, very good at spending other people's money.

So, all Starmer (and Reeves) is doing is a zero-risk strategy to neutralise these attack lines. It's not attractive to those of us on the left, but it seems to be working. Once in power, I expect Starmer to surprise on the upside. Unlike Truss.

Hence the ridiculous, clearly engineered, "I hate tree-huggers" bollocks the other day.
  • Options
    Still far too high.

Grocery price inflation has fallen at the fastest rate since its peak in March but remains high, new figures show.

Inflation fell to 14.9 per cent in the four weeks to July 9, down from 16.5 per cent over the previous month, according to data from the market researcher Kantar.

It is the fourth month in a row that grocery inflation has fallen after hitting a high of 17.5 per cent in March.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/food-price-inflation-falls-at-fastest-rate-since-march-zzv9pczx5
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,617
    edited July 2023
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

There's certainly an argument that parents make sacrifices to send children to private school, but those numbers aren't credible.

Prep school fees are £3-4k per term aren't they ?
    It depends on the prep school! Not all of them are. Indeed, not even most of them in my experience.

Again, we come back to people talk about 'private schools' as though they were a homogenous lump. They're not. They're very, very different even within small areas.

The real problem which any useful organisation would grapple with - but the DfE do not - is how badly run most of them are. There is a school within easy driving distance of me where one of the senior staff is under constant investigation by the police for threatening violence to staff and parents. Nothing can ever quite be proved but the pattern is itself disturbing.

There's another where every year parents complain their deposits have been wrongly withheld.

Another where a female boarding house has only male staff on duty three days a week.

A friend of mine described it as a 'Wild West.' And it is.

That does, indeed, itself beg the question whether for half these schools the fess are worth it anyway. Disturbingly, the answer often remains 'yes' still due to the difference in class sizes, however bad the school or however low the salary paid to teachers (which doesn't often attract the best).

Again, this is much stronger ground to attack Keegan on than her claim here which is not in itself unreasonable.

And then, we come back to the need to fix things (properly, not a la Gove, Gibb, Cummings and Freedman) in the state sector.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I was there from about 1977 to 1983. I'd argue that foreign holidays were not as common then as they are now. Also, school costs were less.
    Probably not, but they simply got cheaper to the point where it didn't cost *that* much more to head to the Costa Blanca than to Margate or Skeggy.
  • Options
    Blimey, did Boris Johnson write this?

A Crown Jewels guide in which a racist term appeared more than 40 times has been removed by the Royal Collection Trust from its website.

The catalogue, published in 2008, was removed from the charity’s website last week after repetition of the outdated expression was brought to its attention.

The book Ancient and Modern Gems and Jewels, which had remained on the RCT’s website since its publication, contains dozens of mentions of the derogatory term.

It was mainly used in the guide to describe people of African origin who appear on the catalogued jewels.

One brooch was described as: “Head of a negro in three-quarter profile to the right, with drop-pearl earring. This type of a negro’s head is found on several 16th-century cameos.”

Another description of an item depicting a Caucasian person said: “Although it uses the dark layers of the stone for the profile, the features are not negroid.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/crown-jewels-guide-used-racist-term-more-than-40-times-tsslh6cdn
  • Options
    On topic, this is why the Tories are doomed and why Sunak is reportedly going to fire Steve Barclay.

More than one million patients a month are having to wait four weeks to see their GP, with rural areas the worst affected.

NHS data reveals there were 1.3 million appointments in May which had been booked at least four weeks earlier — up from 912,000 in May 2022.

It means one in 20 people now endure waits of at least 28 days after contacting their GP surgery to get an appointment, putting them at risk of delayed or missed diagnosis.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-gp-wait-times-nhs-doctors-appointment-2023-525xlm3q5
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,592
    edited July 2023

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

You can add me. I was (thinks...) 21 when I first left the UK (and state comp for me). By the time I was 30 I'd been to all the pre-2004 EU countries and all the non-baltic pre-2007 countries, plus Chile. Quite a turn around and probably about half of those through work (ticked off a lot of the smaller ones as part of an FP7 project).

ETA: My eldest sone first went abroad aged ~18 months. The younger two haven't yet, mainly due to Covid and then the arrival of number three - plane/ferry not super fun with a baby. They'll probably all go overseas next year as we have some friends in the Netherlands overdue a visit.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,174

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Yeah, "Mum and Dad sent me to Ampleforth/Sedbergh and all we could afford to stay in was a coffin in Whitby and battered cods' heads for dinner". "Ay, happen you were lucky lad, we only had plain batter!"
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,931
    edited July 2023

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

You tell PBers today you didn't go to a private school or have a foreign holiday. They won't believe you.
  • Options

Further proof that Australia will soon be a republic.

The Australian state of Victoria has pulled out of hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games due to projected cost overruns, placing the future of the quadrennial event in doubt.

The Premier of Victoria, Dan Andrews, said the cost of the Games, which would have been held in four regional hubs, could blow out to more than A$7 billion (about £3.7 billion) from a budgeted A$2.6 billion (£1.4 billion) if they went ahead.

“Frankly A$6-A$7 billion for a 12-day sporting event, we’re not doing that,” Andrews said. “I will not take money out of hospitals and schools to fund an event that is three times the cost as estimated and budgeted for last year.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/australian-commonwealth-games-victoria-pulls-out-of-hosting-2026-event-z9jljhq57

Once Ukraine joins the Commonwealth (©️PB weirdos) that’ll steady the ship.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I went to a genuinely rubbish school (in Yorkshire, for extra credit).

However my dad was a a great lover of travel - he hitchhiked all round Europe in the sixties and never stopped enjoying it. Despite not being well off, we managed trips all over Europe, to the western US, Peru and even a month in Chile (we stayed with the family of a colleague of his who had been exiled under Pinochet and become a social worker in Doncaster).

Plenty of roughing it; sleeping tents and cars for much of it. But I saw a lot of the world.

So sorry to break the 4 Yorkshireman tropage. There again, both my parents are from St. Helens...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.

Again, we come back to people are obsessed with the high end.

Also, I said 'prep school' which tend to have lower fees. Not so many staff to pay, you see.
    You must be getting a very good deal in your area! Can't find anything around here that is less that £4.5k per term...and then there's the extra £50 per week or so for the extracurricular activities.
This discussion has been closed.