Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wagner turns his troops around “to avoid bloodshed” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Anyone watching Glasto? Couldn't get tickets this year but thought the Arctic Monkeys were decent, shame Lewis Capaldi lost his voice, poor chap

Mixed feelings about Glastonbury.
    On one hand, £350 for a ticket to hang around in the smuggest place in the country for a line up which is considerably more mainstream than it was in my day (Elton John?).

On the other hand, now wife and sister-in-law have turned the coverage on, I've genuinely enjoyed it, and would have paid good money to watch Rick Astley and the Blossoms* perform an entire set of Smiths songs.

*the only band, to my knowledge, named after a pub I have been in.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,360

Well do not complain about other posters when you are much the same, if not worse

I didn't, I just asked why BJO has such a hatred of Keir Starmer.

You are not the forum moderation team however much you would like to be and how often you dream of it.

Back to ignoring each other before we both get banned, see ya
    I can promise you I will not be banned

Indeed posting since 2014 and not a swear word once
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,237

Well do not complain about other posters when you are much the same, if not worse

You are not the forum moderation team however much you would like to be and how often you dream of it.

Would you like some sort of medal for that?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,231

Anyone watching Glasto? Couldn't get tickets this year but thought the Arctic Monkeys were decent, shame Lewis Capaldi lost his voice, poor chap

Watching Chvrches on catchup. Fun.

As for today, I said this morning there was a not insignificant chance this was all theatre, and not convinced that isn’t entirely the case. Prigozhin may get what he wanted; removal of Shoigu and Gerasimov. And Putler got some insight into his enemies,
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,649
    NYT - The Kremlin spokesman, Dmitri S. Peskov, announced that the criminal case against the Wagner leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, would be dropped. Prigozhin will go to Belarus, Peskov said, and the fighters who rebelled with him would not be prosecuted by law given their "service at the front." Wagner fighters who did not participate in the mutiny will sign contracts with the Russian Ministry of Defense, he said.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 44% (+3)
    CON: 26% (-3)
    REF: 10% (+3)
    LDEM: 8% (-3)
    GRN: 7% (-)

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

Tory A Team fans please explain

Reform on 10% now just 2% off of UKIP's voteshare in 2015, Farage may be tempted to return to lead them if that becomes consistent.

However plenty of time for Sunak and Hunt to win back voters from Reform with tax cuts and reductions in immigration
    To be fair, it's one poll and well out of line with other polls including Omnisis whose fieldwork was a day later (Thursday - Friday).

IF Redfield & Wilton show a big gain for Reform in their polling on Monday, we may have a trend to consider but until then it looks like an outlier from Opinium.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

On one hand, £350 for a ticket to hang around in the smuggest place in the country for a line up which is considerably more mainstream than it was in my day (Elton John?).

On the other hand, now wife and sister-in-law have turned the coverage on, I've genuinely enjoyed it, and would have paid good money to watch Rick Astley and the Blossoms* perform an entire set of Smiths songs.

I went in 1992 after my A-Levels and got to see Tom Jones. Morrissey pulled out. It was considerably cheaper than £350 even accounting for inflation
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    DougSeal said:

Would you like some sort of fucking medal for that?
    Fixed that for you
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Not at all but to be honest you should be able to make your case without resorting to unnecessary language
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Would you like some sort of fucking medal for that?
    Fixed that for you
    Thanks. I have to say that phrasing did cross my mind…
  • Options
    NYT - Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, seemed surprised by the Wagner leader's decision to turn his forces back from their advance on the Russian capital. “You almost nullified Putin, took control of the central authorities, reached Moscow and suddenly ... you retreat. Because one very specific intermediary with a dubious reputation (#Lukashenko) promised security guarantees from the person (#Putin) who ordered to destroy you in the morning,” he wrote on Twitter.

Still, Podolyak noted that the move was “not without benefit”; he said the Wagner leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, had “humiliated” Putin and the Russian state and shown there was “no longer a monopoly on violence.”
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Yeah, more than usual. You've gone a bit barmy the last few days.

I absolutely have not.

I posted this morning that I'd run a 10K and was told I was lying, I don't know you think is going barmy but it's not me!
    I didn't see anyone call you a liar, I did ask if you'd run 2 as you posted you'd just finished a 10k twice. You need to calm down fella, it's the internet, it don't mean a thing.
    I did. I was taking the piss because Horse pretended he was a high-rolling gambler some time ago and got caught out. It was a reference to that.
    I stand corrected. He should still calm down, though!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    Prigozhin is going to Belarus, no sign of Putin.

Interesting.,.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

NYT - The Kremlin spokesman, Dmitri S. Peskov, announced that the criminal case against the Wagner leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, would be dropped. Prigozhin will go to Belarus, Peskov said, and the fighters who rebelled with him would not be prosecuted by law given their "service at the front." Wagner fighters who did not participate in the mutiny will sign contracts with the Russian Ministry of Defense, he said.

Prigozhin definitely lost then.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,516

"⚡️#BREAKING Prigozhin accepted Lukashenka's proposal to stop the movement of PMC "Wagner" — TASS"

It looks like he may be running things, at least to some extent. TASS usually faithfully reports everything around what Putin says, or does, and they also reported him leaving for St Petersburg earlier, which wasn't too good for his image.

I’m not sure I subscribe to the view of Lukaschenko being some form of political mastermind. More likely I suspect Putin needed someone to negotiate and a) it couldn’t be him, because he couldn’t be seen to be engaging at the same level and b) Belarus is the weak link and any sign of destabilisation in Russia could be even more catastrophic in Minsk. So maybe giving Lukaschenko some points was the best play.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Not at all but to be honest you should be able to make your case without resorting to unnecessary language
    Huh? I used no such language. Thought about it and in retrospect I should indeed have used @farooq ‘s formulation. Get off your high horse.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,983

Labour leads by 31 points amongst mortgage owners. End days.

Very noticeably the impact of the rate rise - Labour up 9 among people with mortgages. Little movement among outright owners (who still like the Tories, +9 over Labour) and renters (who still hate them, -37). Starmer winning the (un)popularity contest by 8 points. And the Scottish subsample... OK, never mind.
    I thought we weren't doing subsamples anymore.

What did outright owners win by in 2019, 2017 and before? What is the swing there?
    Nick has a PhD in maths if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    Glastonbury is good on the telly.

Was cheaper (free) in my day.

But not necessarily better for it.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,300
    https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1672696221780123651?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

BREAKING: Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin and his fighters will not be prosecuted for their attempted revolt, and he will move to Belarus, the Kremlin has said
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Huh? I used no such language. Thought about it and in retrospect I should indeed have used @farooq ‘s formulation. Get off your high horse.
    I wasn't referring to you though horse comes into it
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,900
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

Reform on 10% now just 2% off of UKIP's voteshare in 2015, Farage may be tempted to return to lead them if that becomes consistent.

However plenty of time for Sunak and Hunt to win back voters from Reform with tax cuts and reductions in immigration
    Except in reality... neither of those works, does it?

There is less than no money. So tax cuts are out of the question- the frozen thresholds means that taxes are going up, if anything. And immigration is the only thing keeping health, social care and the economy moving.

So what does Rishi do?
    If inflation falls through the government's tight control of spending then that would allow for a cut in the basic rate especially, perhaps promise of raising the IHT threshold to £1 million for all estates if the Tories are re elected.

Economic migrants are certainly not all working in the NHS and migration remains a key concern for Tory to RefUK swing voters
    If strawberry plants achieve sentience and send intergalactic starships to the Magellanic Clouds, and if Boris Johnson solves the P versus NP problem, the Tories might be re-elected.

Edit: ... and in any case most estates are 1m free of IHT, if they are of the Tory-approved nuclear family un-woke variety. So why bother changing?
  • Options

Latest Westminster voting intention (20-21 Jun)

Con: 22% (-2 from 15-16 Jun)
    Lab: 47% (+4)
    Lib Dem: 11% (=)
    Green: 8% (=)
    Reform UK: 7% (=)
    SNP: 3% (-1)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1672532010231902208

Which of the following do you think would make the best prime minister? (20-21 Jun)

Rishi Sunak: 21% (-2 from 6-7 Jun)
    Keir Starmer: 32% (+2)
    Not sure: 42% (-1)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1672532012383584256

BJOFPX
  • Options
    edited June 2023

"⚡️#BREAKING Prigozhin accepted Lukashenka's proposal to stop the movement of PMC "Wagner" — TASS"

It looks like he may be running things, at least to some extent. TASS usually faithfully reports everything around what Putin says, or does, and they also reported him leaving for St Petersburg earlier, which wasn't too good for his image.

I’m not sure I subscribe to the view of Lukaschenko being some form of political mastermind. More likely I suspect Putin needed someone to negotiate and a) it couldn’t be him, because he couldn’t be seen to be engaging at the same level and b) Belarus is the weak link and any sign of destabilisation in Russia could be even more catastrophic in Minsk. So maybe giving Lukaschenko some points was the best play.
    The thing is, all these official statements so far are seeming.to put Lukashenka at the centre of things; and no public address from Putin before that, either, to contextualise and frame things, and reaffirm that he is still in charge.

In dictatorships, one has to say that these sort of things are not usually coincidental.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,435
    Cookie said:

Exactly a week ago, I was at Twickenham watching Depeche Mode :)
  • Options

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

I've been surprised that Reform haven't been on 10% earlier to be honest.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

I am glad some bloodshed was saved, any life lost is too much.

Did you say that to Putin before he invaded Ukraine?
    Did you say it to Blair before he invaded Iraq?

Or are you a hypocrite?
    Genuine question, did you leave the Labour Party over Iraq and Afghanistan?
    Nah back then BJO was still Labour as he's told us many times. Apparently SKS isn't real Labour but Blair was.

Let's be honest, he just hates Starmer for no rational reason. Very odd.
    What's with all this aggression CHB?
    You're just going to let BJO's constant posts go? He's been aggressive with me and others for months.
    No idea - BJO seems as fine as any poster on PB. Both a low and high standard - deeply wise being on PB, and then we all let ourselves down.

But I was rather more observing that you're lashing out a bit at all and everyone. It seems rather out of character.
    Not any more than usual
    You see if you had been (say) MalcolmG I'd have expected your every word to diminish my soul (and deter me from PB), but I didn't expect such things from you.
    Horse struggles with his mental health and it seems like he's going through one of his difficult phases again where he craves and needs lots of attention - lashing out, spamming and saying controversial things (with no particular consistency) is one way to get it and more likely to illicit a response. Praise and reassurance would be much better, but that's harder to obtain.

Best thing to do is log-off, of course, and talk it through with someone.

Elicit not illicit.
  • Options

Depends what his goal really was. Or is. Or will be?

Was it Boris Johnson (or some cheap-jack pre-quel) who observed, Russia is a riddle wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma?
  • Options
    Tonight's news does weaken Putin but what does it do for the war in Ukraine?
  • Options

Glastonbury is good on the telly.

Was cheaper (free) in my day.

But not necessarily better for it.

It started off as a counter-cultural festival. Now it's the opposite of that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,148
    @soph_husk

What a story by @mikeysmith

Snapshots of people’s watches show the time the bombshell Partygate video was shot and a separate time stamped video of Shaun Bailey PROVES he was at CCHQ at the time the lockdown-busting video was filmed (despite him saying he wasn’t!)

@mikeysmith
    STORY

Partygate Tory Shaun Bailey admits he WAS in CCHQ until long after bombshell video was filmed

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1672693714869706752
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

Was it Boris Johnson (or some cheap-jack pre-quel) who observed, Russia is a riddle wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma?
    And now it’s a clown wrapped in a clown car inside a circus tent.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Exactly a week ago, I was at Twickenham watching Depeche Mode :)
    Who knew THAT would be the trigger for the March on Moscow aka Unquiet Flows the Don?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,378

The thing is, all these official statements so far are seeming.to put Lukashenka at the centre of things. And no public address from Putin before that, either, to contextualise and frame things, and reaffirm that he is still in charge.

In dictatorships, one has to say that these sort of things are not usually coincidental.
    Certainly Putin has not shown himself to best advantage today. He's dithered, fled, failed to do any useful work and had to have his chestnuts pulled out of the fire by a geriatric discredited old fool who can barely control his own country.

The only thing we can say in his favour tonight is he doesn't look in quite such imminent danger as at lunchtime.

He has twelve months to go to pass Stalin. I would now be very surprised to see him get that far.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I went in 1992 after my A-Levels and got to see Tom Jones. Morrissey pulled out. It was considerably cheaper than £350 even accounting for inflation
    I went in 97 (muddiest Glasto in 20 years) and 98 (wettest Glasto in 20 years). £80, or thereabouts, it was. I don't think I'd risk £350 on another year like those.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894

Latest Westminster voting intention (20-21 Jun)

Con: 22% (-2 from 15-16 Jun)
    Lab: 47% (+4)
    Lib Dem: 11% (=)
    Green: 8% (=)
    Reform UK: 7% (=)
    SNP: 3% (-1)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1672532010231902208

Which of the following do you think would make the best prime minister? (20-21 Jun)

Rishi Sunak: 21% (-2 from 6-7 Jun)
    Keir Starmer: 32% (+2)
    Not sure: 42% (-1)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1672532012383584256

BJOFPX
    The England sub sample on You Gov is Labour 48%, Conservative 23%, Liberal Democrat 12%. At the 2019 GE, the numbers were Conservative 47%, Labour 34% and LD 12% so that's a 19% swing from Conservative to Labour and a 12% swing from Conservative to Liberal Democrat.

Just a bit of fun but UNS on those numbers would mean more than 260 Conservative seat losses.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I went in 97 (muddiest Glasto in 20 years) and 98 (wettest Glasto in 20 years). £80, or thereabouts, it was. I don't think I'd risk £350 on another year like those.
    Were you then a Wet Tory, if not (necessarily) a Tory Wet?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,221
    Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

This sort of thing - concerts, sports events etc - always runs well ahead of inflation.

In 1980 I believe you could have got First Division tickets - equivalent to Premier League today for younger viewers - for £1. £5 today allowing for inflation.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,435

Nein! Nein! Nein!

He said "The Lib Dems are not just empty. They are a void within a vacuum surrounded by a vast inanition."
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    So, all in all a damp squib …
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Can’t remember how much it was but I think £50 and I got my ticket from Richard’s Records in Canterbury High Street. And not a drop of rain. In fact IIRC we were asked to converge water. V hot.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,221

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

This sort of thing - concerts, sports events etc - always runs well ahead of inflation.

In 1980 I believe you could have got First Division tickets - equivalent to Premier League today for younger viewers - for £1. £5 today allowing for inflation.
    To clarify a 1980 £1 = £5 today. To get in a Premier League game today is £50+.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    edited June 2023

He's lost control of Wagner, which is being broken up, and exiled to Belarus, presumably with a dubious promise that he won't be quietly assassinated.

He didn't need to march on Moscow and kill 13 Russian pilots to achieve that outcome.
  • Options

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

My season ticket for Man Utd in 1990 was £135

I think they are between £500 and £1,000 now if you can get one
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,533
    Cookie said:

I jumped the fence in 2000 - the last year you could do it - and spent five days totally off my rocker. Some bloke near where we were camped was punting banging pills.

I’d love to go back. Minus the class A’s, far too undignified at my age. It’s so much more than the headliners and main stages. There’s absolutely loads of stuff going on away from what gets shown on TV. I didn’t see any of the headliners, it was always too busy around the main stages. Thanks to scrotes like me jumping the fence.

Though I did miss Bowie, to my shame.

I should pull my finger out of my arse and go back, but I just cannot bothered with the whole ticket lottery thing.

Looking forward to Gn’R tonight mind. Loved them when I was 13/14. Axl’s voice isn’t the fearsome beast it once was though, sadly. Thought the Monkeys were a bit meh. Lightning Seeds are on iplayer they were good. Been listening to it on 6 all day they’ve been playing good stuff - Young Fathers, The Comet is Coming, stuff like that.

My missus is currently loving Texas in the iplayer. She once shared a lipstick with Sharlene Spiteri in the women’s toilets backstage when they supported Beautiful South - true story.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Certainly a very strange day. Several thousand men get within 100 miles of Moscow, with apparently very little support for Putin from the air force, or local military.

Meanwhile Prigozhin then turns tail and moves to Lukaschenko's country, who many Russian media outlets are bigging up as the hero of the hour today, not Putin.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited June 2023

He's lost control of Wagner, which is being broken up, and exiled to Belarus, presumably with a dubious promise that he won't be quietly assassinated.

He didn't need to march on Moscow and kill 13 Russian pilots to achieve that outcome.
    If a private military contractor with thousands of personnel was driving towards DC, threatening to kill the Chairman of the JCS and Defense Secretary, and depose the President, and then it was settled by giving them immunity and exiling their leaders in Mexico, only an actual madman would claim that Biden was strengthened by it. What will happen is hard to say, but clearly Putin is losing control, even if he survives for today.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,001
    On to other matters.
    Schools, and in particular the Special Intervention Sector, are a shitshow, it has been confirmed.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/24/disruptive-behaviour-leaves-excluded-pupils-units-in-england-full-to-bursting
  • Options

Cookie said:

I jumped the fence in 2000 - the last year you could do it - and spent five days totally off my rocker. Some bloke near where we were camped was punting banging pills.

I’d love to go back. Minus the class A’s, far too undignified at my age. It’s so much more than the headliners and main stages. There’s absolutely loads of stuff going on away from what gets shown on TV. I didn’t see any of the headliners, it was always too busy around the main stages. Thanks to scrotes like me jumping the fence.

I should pull my finger out of my arse and go back, but I just cannot bothered with the whole ticket lottery thing.

Looking forward to Gn’R tonight mind. Loved them when I was 13/14. Axl’s voice isn’t the fearsome beast it once was though, sadly. Thought the Monkeys were a bit meh. Lightning Seeds are on iplayer they were good. Been listening to it on 6 all day they’ve been playing good stuff - Young Fathers, The Comet is Coming, stuff like that.

My missus is currently loving Texas in the iplayer. She once shared a lipstick with Sharlene Spiteri in the women’s toilets backstage when they supported Beautiful South - true story.
    The Comet is Coming are one of my favourite acts I’ve been introduced to for a long time thanks to Glastonbury.
  • Options

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

On the other hand, I got into the final day of the Ashes test at Edgbaston for £25.
  • Options
    Casting sorted for the Prigozhin film.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

If you have one, you can get one. If you don't have one...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,516
    edited June 2023
    glw said:

If a private military contractor with thousands of personnel was driving towards DC, threatening to kill the Chairman of the JCS and Defense Secretary, and depose the President, and then it was settled by giving them immunity and exiling their leaders in Mexico, only an actual madman would claim that Biden was strengthened by it. What will happen is hard to say, but clearly Putin is losing control, even if he survives for today.
    And meanwhile, Putin has a war to fight…

Prediction: this time next year there will be a different Russian President. We are witnessing the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    glw said:

Interesting how January 2021 and July 2023 each have some similarity to October 1922 - March on Rome.

And to each other.
  • Options

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I had one for decades but tempus fugit and I surrendered it some years ago

The 190 mile round trip, especially on Wednesday nights, took its toll
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

So you lived closer to the ground than most of their fans.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,897
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

On the other hand, I got into the final day of the Ashes test at Edgbaston for £25.
    £145 2nd day at Lords £95 2nd day at Leeds
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,997
    glw said:

Imagine Trump with a private army
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,015
    edited June 2023

Certainly a very strange day. Several thousand men get within 100 miles of Moscow, with apparently very little support for Putin from the air force, or local military.

Meanwhile Prigozhin then turns tail and moves to Lukaschenko's country, who many Russian media outlets are bigging up as the hero of the hour today, not Putin.

Bonnie Prince Prigozhin, sadly.
  • Options

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

How does a United fan get to Old Trafford?

Well, first you take the M25 ...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    darkage said:

The current regime has no succession plan so regime change would just be heading in to the dark with unknown consequences.

That's a problem in all dictatorships.
    The Great Leader is great leader until he dies, then if you're lucky, you get someone else who can slowly lead your country to ruin for the next thirty years.
    Or you can have a power struggle and a civil war.

There are no elections in Russia, Putin can't be removed except by force of arms, so when he does go, the state will go throug a period of turmoil.
    Should that have happened today? No idea, but its going to happen.
  • Options

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I was born within 5 miles of OT and my father supported both United and City as they were both Manchester clubs
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I once met a Mancunian who supported United, but it was a long time ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

As a seasoned campaigner of away trips to the North West, I can tell you that Warwick services has a many Liverpool fans in it after trips to Anfield as Man Utd fans after games at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    Putin: Wagner are treasonous and we must rise up to defeat them
    Hours later: It's all good.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Axel Rose looks like a rocked up Christopher Hitchens!
  • Options
    Taz said:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1672696221780123651?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

BREAKING: Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin and his fighters will not be prosecuted for their attempted revolt, and he will move to Belarus, the Kremlin has said

Found a new paymaster to help crush local dissent in another place I guess, depending on how many fighters are allowed to go with him.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    kle4 said:

And Putin is famous for forgiving those who have defied him.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    According to Peskov's statement :

1) Moscow appreciates Lukashenka's mediation efforts

2) Putin's new televised address is not planned

3) Personnel changes in the Ministry of Defense are the prerogative of the President of the Russian Federation.

It's always all about Lukashenka, again.

I do think there's reasonable reason to think there's something afoot, there.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

As a seasoned campaigner of away trips to the North West, I can tell you that Warwick services has a many Liverpool fans in it after trips to Anfield as Man Utd fans after games at Old Trafford.
    Including @TSE?
  • Options

Bonnie Prince Prigozhin, sadly.
    Speed, bloody plane, like a buzzard in flight
    Hurry, the mutineer does insist
    Carry the cad that rattled Mad Vlad
    Over the marsh to Minsk!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Including @TSE?
    I think you're more likely to find TSE travelling back to the other side of the Peak District.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,020
    boulay said:

So much for the hard-man act.
  • Options
    glw said:

Quite. Putin does not seem to have been in charge of events, even if practically everyone's initial reaction was that Prigohzin surely couldn't overthrow him. He had to face the embarrassment of responding personally to what was going on, admit that there was rebellion, and it was apparent that the army was ill prepared to respond at best.

It's all worked out in that a disloyal figure will lose influence, but Putin does not look very strong.
  • Options

3) Personnel changes in the Ministry of Defense are the prerogative of the President of the Russian Federation.

If they want to formally unify Russia and Belarussia more, and they do appear to as Lukashenko has had some wobbles in recent years, then perhaps they want to raise his profile as a hero of Russia?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

Cookie said:

I truly wish I'd gone at least once. Too old now. 62.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited June 2023
    Let there be no doubt that Yevgeny Prigozhin has admirably sized testicles. He is a courageous man. More than that, he is bound to go down in Russian history and he will probably have songs written about him. For his sake, I am pleased that he has binned the idea of sneaking across the Moscow ring road while nobody's looking, scaling the Kremlin walls, bursting into Vladimir Putin's office and giving the former KGB man a bloody good talking to.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,113
    EPG said:

boulay said:

Being hard doesn't mean being stupid.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    EPG said:

boulay said:

Wot?
  • Options

Putin has had less control of events than Lukashenko, the numpty that disclosed the invasion plan by mistake on TV. My God he is pathetic.
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

And Putin is famous for forgiving those who have defied him.
    Putin won't be in power for long enough to do anything about it.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    dixiedean said:

On to other matters.
    Schools, and in particular the Special Intervention Sector, are a shitshow, it has been confirmed.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/24/disruptive-behaviour-leaves-excluded-pupils-units-in-england-full-to-bursting

This is largely, though not entirely, a consequence of the way in which children were treated during the pandemic. Schools and nurseries ought never to have been shuttered.
  • Options

Putin has lost too. The only battle in Ukraine the Russians won was the capture of Bakhmut, achieved by Wagner. The winners in this situation are Zelensky and Ukraine.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    EPG said:

boulay said:

Even a hard-man knows when the risk of being a dead man is not worth it
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

There is less than no money. So tax cuts are out of the question- the frozen thresholds means that taxes are going up, if anything. And immigration is the only thing keeping health, social care and the economy moving.

So what does Rishi do?
    If inflation falls through the government's tight control of spending then that would allow for a cut in the basic rate especially, perhaps promise of raising the IHT threshold to £1 million for all estates if the Tories are re elected.

Economic migrants are certainly not all working in the NHS and migration remains a key concern for Tory to RefUK swing voters
    If strawberry plants achieve sentience and send intergalactic starships to the Magellanic Clouds, and if Boris Johnson solves the P versus NP problem, the Tories might be re-elected.

Edit: ... and in any case most estates are 1m free of IHT, if they are of the Tory-approved nuclear family un-woke variety. So why bother changing?
    Only the main property of married couples via transfer, not assets beyond the main property or for children of divorced couples or where one died before Osborne's tax reform.

The IHT threshold is still £325k, it should be raised to £1 million in my view and that should be in the Tory manifesto next year as a promise if they are re elected
  • Options
    Taz said:

Most pathetic coup in histoy
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

No, that would be this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2010/jan/07/michael-white-why-hoon-hewitt-plot-failed
  • Options
    pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

On to other matters.

This is largely, though not entirely, a consequence of the way in which children were treated during the pandemic. Schools and nurseries ought never to have been shuttered.
    Outdoor playgrounds was the most spiteful closure. Our 2 year old child went crazy if we visited the local park at not being allowed to go the playground, so effectively could not go out the house.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

So what does Rishi do?

Only the main property of married couples via transfer, not assets beyond the main property or for children of divorced couples or where one died before Osborne's tax reform.

The IHT threshold is still £325k, it should be raised to £1 million in my view and that should be in the Tory manifesto next year as a promise if they are re elected
    They are not going to get elected
  • Options
    glw said:

Putin has handled this well. I agree though that his end is in sight. He probably won't stand in next year's elections. But if you think he's losing control, who is gaining it? Russia doesn't seem about to break up, much as it would please some if it did,.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,380
    kinabalu said:

Axel Rose looks like a rocked up Christopher Hitchens!

Whoever made the comment about his voice wasn’t kidding. Not sure I would have recognised him.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Westie said:

glw said:

Putin has handled this well. I agree though that his end is in sight. He probably won't stand in next year's elections. But if you think he's losing control, who is gaining it? Russia doesn't seem about to break up, much as it would please some if it did,.
    It does get a bit tedious to keep repeating, but the only person who has emerged from today enhanced is the dictator Luka.

No sign of Putin on TV, and Peskov even said, further to that, that a new address from him wasn't planned. After he'd just called Prigozhin the biggest threat to Russia in decades, a traitor ? The traitor now has immunity, and is heading to Belarus, Lukashenko's domain. How can Putin credibly survive this ? I can't see what narrative you could credibly spin from it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

This hasn't been anywhere near a coup.

One interesting question is where does this leave the Russian war effort against the Ukraine.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

So what does Rishi do?

They are not going to get elected
    Maybe not but a promise to raise the IHT threshold to £1 million would be very popular in the Tory heartlands and bluewall in West London and the Home Counties in particular and also with owners of detached properties and those with sizeable assets elsewhere in the UK. It could save a number of Tory seats
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    5m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 21 - 23 Jun

So what does Rishi do?

Wise politically. Aged owner-occupiers and their expectant heirs are your core support, and constitute the bulk of that minority of voters who are still relatively well-disposed towards the Conservative Party. Selective bribery to help shore up their support makes complete sense.

Indeed, Hunt might as well go all-in, abolish child benefit and use the cash to fund a fresh bung for pensioners as well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,380
    If this becomes a decision for L&P a withdrawal becomes a serious possibility.
  • Options
    Westie said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

This hasn't been anywhere near a coup.

One interesting question is where does this leave the Russian war effort against the Ukraine.
    Well, fewer mercenaries to call upon later. Presumably they hope it means less infighting amongst military factions, but given what Wagner were able to do today, I should think plenty of backbiting and infighting will be going on, and hopefully increasing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,373

Westie said:

glw said:

It does get a bit tedious to keep repeating, but the only person who has emerged from today enhanced is the dictator Luka.

No sign of Putin on TV, and Peskov even said, further than that, that a new address from him wasn't planned. After he'd just called Prigozhin the biggest threat to Russia in decades, a traitor ? The traitor now has immunity, and is heading to Belarus, Lukashenko's domain. How can Putin credibly survive this ? I can't see what narrative one could credibly spin from it.
    "immunity"??

LOL.

He's dead as a doornail.
This discussion has been closed.