Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson rated as a just 3.4% chance to be election leader – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited June 2023 in General
imageJohnson rated as a just 3.4% chance to be election leader – politicalbetting.com

For all his hopes the betting markets give Johnson. a very small chance of actually being the election leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Boris is over. It is done. Can we move on?

It is actually getting quite boring, TBH (no offence intended to the mods who have to find new subjects so often). And the Boris-haters are doing their best to keep this story going just as much as the Boris-defenders

ENOUGH!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Based on the Tory Red Wall WhatsApp chats I'm a part of, Boris still has his fanantical supporters.

He is political herpes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

It is actually getting quite boring, TBH (no offence intended to the mods who have to find new subjects so often). And the Boris-haters are doing their best to keep this story going just as much as the Boris-defenders

ENOUGH!

Indeed, if he isn't even an MP going forward how can be be Conservative leader at the next general election?

There is a slim chance if Sunak and Hunt lose the next general election heavily and Starmer's government becomes unpopular, Boris as Prince across the Water will be begged by the Party faithful to return in a by election in a safe Conservative seat to lead the party in opposition to try and make a triumphant return like his hero Churchill in 1951 but that is it
  • Options
    Now that the blob have got rid of Boris Johnson can they do the same for Brexit please.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Based on the Tory Red Wall WhatsApp chats I'm a part of, Boris still has his fanantical supporters.

He is political herpes.

He certainly puts the chicken into chickenpox.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Now that the blob have got rid of Boris Johnson can they do the same for Brexit please.

One step at a time. The blob still has Suella and Rees-Mogg to attend to.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

He is political herpes.

Can confirm. When I was in Mariupol on the North Sea last year they loved him and didn't give a fuck how many lockdown rules he broke or many 6/10 (London Over 30 Division) posh women he tupped.
  • Options
    Given his descent into Trump like whining and paranoia, storming Parliament or Matthew Parker Street cannot be ruled out by him and his supporters.

Unlike the Yanks, we will be swift and decisive in dealing with insurrection.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,629
    FPT - "The Roman Catholic church doesn't recognise non Catholic marriages"

More freaking FAKE NEWS from PB's very own Chat-Bot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_the_Catholic_Church

The Catholic Church recognizes as sacramental, (1) the marriages between two baptized non-Catholic Christians or between two baptized Orthodox Christians, as well as (2) marriages between baptized non-Catholic Christians and Catholic Christians, although in the latter case, consent from the diocesan bishop must be obtained, with this termed "permission to enter into a mixed marriage".
  • Options
    SNP Depute leader Keith Brown says SNP MSPs agreed at their meeting today to send flowers to Nicola Sturgeon

https://twitter.com/BBCDavidWL/status/1668610751945396224
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,046
    @HYUFD

In the Bible it is stated that only 144,000 people will be saved (Revelation 7:4-8 and Revelation 14:1-5), so you need to have been pretty bloody good to get into heaven.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Yes. We should continue to devote all threads to you, your trips, your photos, and your monothematic obsessions.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Given his descent into Trump like whining and paranoia, storming Parliament or Matthew Parker Street cannot be ruled out by him and his supporters.

Unlike the Yanks, we will be swift and decisive in dealing with insurrection.

Boris and Nads on an electric bike, popped open under a red London bus, blue lights 500 metres behind.
  • Options
    The University of Nottingham says two of the three people killed in this morning’s attacks were students at the university.

https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1668637305752485890
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

In the Bible it is stated that only 144,000 people will be saved (Revelation 7:4-8 and Revelation 14:1-5), so you need to have been pretty bloody good to get into heaven.

So that explains why there's a stairway to heaven and a highway to hell.

All to do with anticipated traffic.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

"Can we move on?" Tell that to Boris!

Dan Hicks - "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9-FOLG-iA

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Nottingham Police statement:

https://news.nottinghamshire.police.uk/news/update-on-city-centre-investigation-after-three-people-killed-468413

They’re not looking for anyone else, and believe the town is safe.

The original two deaths are believed to be students at the university, which has cancelled the graduation ball.
  • Options

SNP Depute leader Keith Brown says SNP MSPs agreed at their meeting today to send flowers to Nicola Sturgeon

Moonpig had sold out of the basket of figs with asp.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Yes. We should continue to devote all threads to you, your trips, your photos, and your monothematic obsessions.
    Perhaps those threads could surprise on the upside?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Indeed, if he isn't even an MP going forward how can be be Conservative leader at the next general election?

There is a slim chance if Sunak and Hunt lose the next general election heavily and Starmer's government becomes unpopular, Boris as Prince across the Water will be begged by the Party faithful to return in a by election in a safe Conservative seat to lead the party in opposition to try and make a triumphant return like his hero Churchill in 1951 but that is it
    Your 2nd para is the plan aiui. I imagine he's already seeing himself as a "Prince across the Water".
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

How can you have monothematic obsessions PLURAL?

I have multiple obsessions. I am diverse in my manias
  • Options

Bouquet of Venus flytraps with sprigs of stinging nettles?
  • Options
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Can we stop talking about how Boris shat the bed? It's over, done.
    But he's literally just this minute left the room!
    Exactly, all the bed shitting is finished.
    But the bed is still full of shit!
    Oh, you're just trying to keep the story going...
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    edited June 2023

The University of Nottingham says two of the three people killed in this morning’s attacks were students at the university.

https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1668637305752485890

Huh, that's made me really sad for some reason.
  • Options

The only way to make the psychological burden of Brexit 'go away' is to accept it as a permanent reality.
    Much as you Brexiteers would love us to live in a monocultural society without freedom of speech or political opinion, one doesn’t accept something that has cost one so much and can be reversed as “permanent”. As soon as you accept you were wrong, apologise for duping the nation, and put forward realistic options for mitigating the catastrophe you have created, preferably involving reparations, we might be able to accept Brexit. Until then many will continue to seek to correct the grievous error you have shamefully sold the country.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited June 2023
    Awkward:

I’ve had my suspicions for a long time. My family would like to request privacy over this difficult time. It has been a shock but ultimately only wish for his happiness. Thank you 🙏

https://twitter.com/mercer_felicity/status/1668586935500013571

Prick News…..never right for long…..
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Your 2nd para is the plan aiui. I imagine he's already seeing himself as a "Prince across the Water".
    More like "Pimp over the water"?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Perhaps those threads could surprise on the upside?
    Well, I'm looking forward to the Ukraine one
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    edited June 2023
    FPT

Keyu Jin is a Chinese economist teaching at the LSE.

Is the west getting China wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeIXR8vcnXw

She comes across in this interview with Gideon Rachman as bright, eloquent and knowledgeable. However I left it feeling distinctly uneasy. One of the comments underneath the video highlights all the things she fails to mention in her remarks. A couple of the things she did say left me a little flabbergasted. On the issue of democracy in China she thought that many young people had been put off by the 'chaos' in Hong Kong. I suppose chaos is one word you could use to describe it. As for tensions between the US and China she very much takes the 'both sides' approach, ignoring China's consistent wolf warrior diplomacy and belligerence. What of all the other countries in south east Asia and the threats they feel from the CCP? In her view the best way to resolve the conflict in the Taiwan strait is between the parties on both sides (suggesting that it is US involvement that is making war more likely). She mentions the one child policy in China and how the only child in her class at school who had a sibling was a Uighur. That was the last mention of Uighurs in the discussion.

This is one of our top universities but I've always felt there was something odd about the LSE. Remember Colonel Gaddafi's son? And it does seem to be the Labour Party's university of choice. Perhaps because it is more classless than Oxbridge seems to be?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Awkward:

I’ve had my suspicions for a long time. My family would like to request privacy over this difficult time. It has been a shock but ultimately only wish for his happiness. Thank you 🙏

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/yt/bj8hntg4gnpu.jpeg" alt="" />

Maybe it’s all just cover for sexually grooming a teenager working for him? < / Scofield >
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

“Monothematic” means having a dominating theme. So a trilogy of movies could have a single theme, or movements in a composition. Similarly your rants have a golden thread running through them.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Sandpit said:

Awkward:

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/yt/bj8hntg4gnpu.jpeg" alt="" />

Best edit that
    Best edit that -
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376

He is political herpes.

Britain Trump?
  • Options
    Huge thunderstorm over the North-west Highlands!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Awkward:

Best edit that
    Best edit that -
    It was a Schofield joke, in reply to another obvious joke from Mrs Mercer. Not intending to be offensive.

Mods can delete it if they wish.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

“Monothematic” means having a dominating theme. So a trilogy of movies could have a single theme, or movements in a composition. Similarly your rants have a golden thread running through them.
    Thankyou

“Man was made for Joy & Woe
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the World we safely go
    Joy & Woe are woven fine
    A Clothing for the soul divine
    Under every grief & pine
    Runs a joy with silken twine”
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Awkward:

Best edit that
    Best edit that -
    It was a Schofield joke, in reply to another obvious joke from Mrs Mercer. Not intending to be offensive.
    Prick News got their Plymouth MPs mixed up - Luke Pollard spoke in the debate.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,690
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Be fair, Mr Leon. Some of us have disliked and despised Johnson ever since he was editor of the Spectator. He has destroyed the reputation of everybody and everything he has come into contact with.

Please let us savour his removal from the political scene for just a bit longer.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

Revelation is the words of John the Elder, not Jesus nor God. It is a great read though and as it sets out a post apocalypse world hardly surprising not that many are still around to be saved anyway
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

That's true, Leon also has UFO's, which I also find interesting.

Talking of which, as I mentioned earlier, we have a very bizarre situation today. There has been *no official denial* from the US inspectorate of intelligence, on the quote that they find Grusch's absolutely breathtaking claims "credible and urgent" , a Senator has confirmed today that hearings will be held as a result, and most of the media are still not touching the story for fear of being seen as nutters, and the stigma surrounding this sort of topic. Very, very odd indeed.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    Eabhal said:

Ouch. So there is.

I hope nobody has been caught out on the Kintail or Mullardoch hills.

Whiteouts / blizzards I can deal with, but thunderstorm risk is the one thing I'm paranoid about.

Perhaps I spent too long speaking to the Professor who documented UK lightning incidents.
  • Options

FPT

She comes across in this interview with Gideon Rachman as bright, eloquent and knowledgeable. However I left it feeling distinctly uneasy. One of the comments underneath the video highlights all the things she fails to mention in her remarks. A couple of the things she did say left me a little flabbergasted. On the issue of democracy in China she thought that many young people had been put off by the 'chaos' in Hong Kong. I suppose chaos is one word you could use to describe it. As for tensions between the US and China she very much takes the 'both sides' approach, ignoring China's consistent wolf warrior diplomacy and belligerence. What of all the other countries in south east Asia and the threats they feel from the CCP? In her view the best way to resolve the conflict in the Taiwan strait is between the parties on both sides (suggesting that it is US involvement that is making war more likely). She mentions the one child policy in China and how the only child in her class at school who had a sibling was a Uighur. That was the last mention of Uighurs in the discussion.

This is one of our top universities but I've always felt there was something odd about the LSE. Remember Colonel Gaddafi's son? And it does seem to be the Labour Party's university of choice. Perhaps because it is more classless than Oxbridge seems to be?

What do you expect? If she goes in studs up on the CCP they will sling her relatives in a Hubei prison hospital and start harvesting their organs. They take both corneas, bladder and one kidney on admission.

The old order is dying and this is a time of monsters. Gramsci.
  • Options

FPT

There is a traditional rivalry between my alma mater, UCL, and LSE

They once stole the head of our founder Jeremy Bentham. Bastards

Also, the only real bar brawl I have ever seen was between UCL and LSE students when all of us in Ramsay Hall of residence went drinking in their hall next door. It was the proper stuff. Hurled glasses and broken mirrors and waist coated barmen ducking the flying bottles

I confess I simply hid
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Awkward:

Best edit that
    Best edit that -
    Ah lol. I still got flagged though, so no offence intended.

I shall now depart the pub and go home, and perhaps return here in the morning!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,284
    Boris won't be leader of the Conservative Party again. That is certain - the headbangers are too small in number to force that through.

But - the people's princess is still beloved by so many. And headbangers are up for the chop at the election unless something radical happens.

As I keep posing, there is a scenario where Boris! leads a breakaway from the Tory party to ensure there is conservative representation at the GE. If you are Jonathan Gullis and Scott Benton et al you barely know what day it is, but you do know that the constituents you haven't blocked are hopping mad about the Brexit.

They won't vote for you. But they might vote for you if they are voting for Boris! Its a personal vote for Boris! and they are not Conservative voters anyway so the party doesn't matter. They want Boris! and they want what they were promised from Brexit.

So time for the New Party. Amalgamate the remains of UKIP, the SDP, ReFUK and that Fox wazzock. Mould them into the English equivalent of Forza Italia, led by Mr Bunga Bunga no honestly she was just a minor aid and not my bastard daughter himself, Boris!

And yes, I will now always type Boris! with an exclamation mark going forward.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Awkward:

Best edit that
    Best edit that -
    And what's his wife's reaction? :wink:
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Be fair, Mr Leon. Some of us have disliked and despised Johnson ever since he was editor of the Spectator. He has destroyed the reputation of everybody and everything he has come into contact with.

Please let us savour his removal from the political scene for just a bit longer.
    Fair enough

Tho I do wonder if the Boris haters will actually miss him in a masochistic way. They so loved to loathe him. They enjoyed their sense of righteous repulsion

It’s quite hard to hate Rishi Sunak, at best you can find him laughable or hypocritical but he is not the brilliant panto villain like Bozza
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Ouch. So there is.

Whiteouts / blizzards I can deal with, but thunderstorm risk is the one thing I'm paranoid about.

Perhaps I spent too long speaking to the Professor who documented UK lightning incidents.
    I hate them. Got caught out in California once, ears ringing, and then you have to deal with the flooding and landslides.

My friends have come off the hill safely - phew!
  • Options

https://twitter.com/JamesDFMellor/status/1668614826128707588/photo/1
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    DougSeal said:

The only way to make the psychological burden of Brexit 'go away' is to accept it as a permanent reality.
    Much as you Brexiteers would love us to live in a monocultural society without freedom of speech or political opinion, one doesn’t accept something that has cost one so much and can be reversed as “permanent”. As soon as you accept you were wrong, apologise for duping the nation, and put forward realistic options for mitigating the catastrophe you have created, preferably involving reparations, we might be able to accept Brexit. Until then many will continue to seek to correct the grievous error you have shamefully sold the country.
    Have you seen the ONS jobs report which shows the level of employment hitting a record high with unexpectedly strong pay growth? Whatever you think about Brexit, the way the UK economy is outperforming expectations requires an explanation.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/june2023
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,824
    Looks like Berlusconi's party has got a sympathy vote in the latest opinion poll.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    ·
    6h
    Italy, Winpoll poll:

FdI-ECR: 29% (+3)
    PD-S&D: 21% (+2)
    M5S-NI: 14% (-1)
    FI-EPP: 13% (+5)
    LEGA-ID: 7% (-2)
    A-RE: 4% (n.a.)
    AVS-LEFT|G/EFA: 3% (-1)
    IV-RE: 2% (n.a.)
    +E-RE: 2% (-1)

+/- vs. 2022 election

Fieldwork: 12 June 2023
    Sample size: 1,000
    https://europeelects.eu/italy"
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

FPT

Also, the only real bar brawl I have ever seen was between UCL and LSE students when all of us in Ramsay Hall of residence went drinking in their hall next door. It was the proper stuff. Hurled glasses and broken mirrors and waist coated barmen ducking the flying bottles

I confess I simply hid
    Wasn’t it the Strand Poly knobs who took the head of Jeremy Bentham?

I was also in Ramsay and nicked their (LSE) bar blackboard from their hall over the road which they were thrilled about. Whenever they had a fire alarm at night we would throw water on them from the balcony on our floor because we were very mature.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Agreed. We should 'move on' and we'll be able to when every PBer signs up to the correct and final assessment of him as a total clownfuck and pisstake with not a single redeeming feature who should never have been allowed near a UK government let alone at the head of it.

You can help by here and now resiling from what unless I've missed something (unlikely but possible) was your most recent take on him as a 'flawed colossus' whose downfall was a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions because it was self-inflicted and he 'could have been great'.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

In answer to Leon's question, I'd tend to agree.
    He thrives on attention; ergo forget him. (Which reminds me, I need a new avatar.)

Time enough to rake over his dubious legacy in the runup to the next election.
  • Options
    Leon said:

FPT

I confess I simply hid
    Very similar to story my father told me, from back when he was serving in USMC.

For some reason, the official song of his Marine regiment was "When the Caissons Go Rolling Along" - the traditional theme song of the US Army.

My Daddy Dearest and some buddies where having a few beers in an off-base bar near Camp Lejeune, when someone put a nickel in the jukebox and requested the Dogface anthem.

At which point my father and his friends got up and stood to attention (as per regulations). Causing Marines from other units to start hooting and heckling.

Result was a bar room brawl . . . but without waistcoated barmen . . .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Is Lorna Slater the most incompetent and stupidest minister in the history of the UK? https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1668557032671137792

We can only pray that the answer is yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

Revelation is the words of John the Elder, not Jesus nor God. It is a great read though...
    Quintessential HYUFD.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Have you seen the ONS jobs report which shows the level of employment hitting a record high with unexpectedly strong pay growth? Whatever you think about Brexit, the way the UK economy is outperforming expectations requires an explanation.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/june2023
    Pay growth below that of prices. That's not Mr Micawber's recipe for prosperity and happiness.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is Lorna Slater the most incompetent and stupidest minister in the history of the UK? https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1668557032671137792

Sadly not.

I raise you Sir Gavin Williamson, who in December 2020 took local education authorities to court to stop them closing because of Covid then a few weeks later closed the schools himself.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    Andy_JS said:

Looks like Berlusconi's party has got a sympathy vote in the latest opinion poll.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    ·
    6h
    Italy, Winpoll poll:

FdI-ECR: 29% (+3)
    PD-S&D: 21% (+2)
    M5S-NI: 14% (-1)
    FI-EPP: 13% (+5)
    LEGA-ID: 7% (-2)
    A-RE: 4% (n.a.)
    AVS-LEFT|G/EFA: 3% (-1)
    IV-RE: 2% (n.a.)
    +E-RE: 2% (-1)

+/- vs. 2022 election

Fieldwork: 12 June 2023
    Sample size: 1,000
    https://europeelects.eu/italy"

Broken, sleazy... ooops, wrong country!
  • Options
    Leon said:

ClippP said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Fair enough

Tho I do wonder if the Boris haters will actually miss him in a masochistic way. They so loved to loathe him. They enjoyed their sense of righteous repulsion

It’s quite hard to hate Rishi Sunak, at best you can find him laughable or hypocritical but he is not the brilliant panto villain like Bozza
    Not me. As with Donald Trump my dearest wish is for the amount I see and hear of him to approximate to zero.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Agreed. We should 'move on' and we'll be able to when every PBer signs up to the correct and final assessment of him as a total clownfuck and pisstake with not a single redeeming feature who should never have been allowed near a UK government let alone at the head of it.

You can help by here and now resiling from what unless I've missed something (unlikely but possible) was your most recent take on him as a 'flawed colossus' whose downfall was a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions because it was self-inflicted and he 'could have been great'.
    Nah
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

ClippP said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Fair enough

There is also great snobbery value in hating Boris, after all he is most popular with Sun reading working class white van man. And you really don't want to have to vote the same way as the man who uses the tradesman's entrance (albeit you mostly did in 2019 with a peg on your nose to keep Corbyn out if the LDs didn't have a chance in your seat).

However while it is now unacceptable to say you like Boris at upper middle class London and Home Counties dinner parties, it is acceptable to even say you will vote for Rishi at such events
  • Options
    Terf Island strikes again:

I believe the world witnessed the first open parliamentary debate on sex and gender in the world yesterday - in the UK. For years, gender identity enthusiasts have used a variety of techniques to suppress this debate. It will not work any more.
    https://youtu.be/7-9MsJo6-Uo /1

https://twitter.com/BevJacksonAuth/status/1668562192583516160?s=20

Meanwhile, across the pond;

After calling for an adherence to facts, US Assistant Secretary for Health Rachel Levine calls gender-affirming care “literally suicide prevention,” despite the fact that researchers have not proven such care prevents death by suicide.

https://twitter.com/benryanwriter/status/1668453261077106689?s=20

“Live son or dead daughter” is the reprehensible rhetoric used by some “affirmative care” (sic) advocates.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Perhaps Boris will return to writing for The Spectator - perhaps some travelogues - the current ones are a bit meh to be honest.

Seriously, there are two tragedies at work here - there's Boris's own tragedy where, having manoeuvred and schemed for 20 years to become Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister and won an election, the prize he sought was undermined by a microscopic virus.

The second tragedy is those who engaged in politics because of Boris Johnson - those who had neither voted not engaged in politics but did so because of Brexit and Boris Johnson. They will presumably withdraw to the margins with only their contempt for politicians and the political system enhanced.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    Can I just check something before we begin, because it feels as though we’re dealing with a weight of irony that defies all known physics? Is Boris Johnson leaving British politics absolutely howling with anger because someone supposedly told him a lie? Is Boris Johnson wetting his pants thrice daily over the injustice of him being supposedly misled? Is Boris Johnson now appalled at someone else’s supposedly casual relationship with the truth? It seems, incredibly, that he is. In which case I honestly don’t think I could take this story more seriously. It’s too perfect. Boris Johnson has been Boris Johnsonned.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/13/boris-johnson-nadine-dorries-tory-infighting
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

In answer to Leon's question, I'd tend to agree.
    He thrives on attention; ergo forget him. (Which reminds me, I need a new avatar.)

Time enough to rake over his dubious legacy in the runup to the next election.
    But before I dismiss him entirely, here's the executive summary of the Commons committee report.

..."A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, super-serviceable finical rogue..."
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Talking of which, as I mentioned earlier, we have a very bizarre situation today. There has been *no official denial* from the US inspectorate of intelligence, on the quote that they find Grusch's absolutely breathtaking claims "credible and urgent" , a Senator has confirmed today that hearings will be held as a result, and most of the media are still not touching the story for fear of being seen as nutters, and the stigma surrounding this sort of topic. Very, very odd indeed.
    You're obviously not worried about being seen as a nutter then?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Funnily enough this is almost exactly what Mrs PtP said to me earlier today. 'Boris has become boring', quite possibly for the first time in his life.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

FPT

I confess I simply hid
    Wasn’t it the Strand Poly knobs who took the head of Jeremy Bentham?

I was also in Ramsay and nicked their (LSE) bar blackboard from their hall over the road which they were thrilled about. Whenever they had a fire alarm at night we would throw water on them from the balcony on our floor because we were very mature.
    You’re right I think - it was KCL that nicked Jeremy

However the rivalry was (is?) definitely with LSE. Because they are a big world class institution like UCL. Kings College not so much

How brilliant that you also experienced the Ramsay-Carr Saunders altercations. Ramsay is also where I lost my virginity. Room 247
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    @christopherhope

Exclusive: Get ready for super-Thursday!
    CCHQ is considering holding three 'Boris by-elections' on the same day next month 👇
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Fear of deep and silent contemplation. And of the Truth. This is the thread.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

DavidL said:

Sadly not.

I raise you Sir Gavin Williamson, who in December 2020 took local education authorities to court to stop them closing because of Covid then a few weeks later closed the schools himself.
    it wasn't weeks later it was days...

I think Greenwich went to court on December 14/15 https://www.lgcplus.com/services/children/greenwich-backs-down-in-school-closure-dispute-with-government-15-12-2020/

And on the 19th Bozo announced the Xmas lockdown. https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/timeline-lockdown-web.pdf
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

12,000 per tribe

In a time when “30” (as in “thirty days and thirty nights”) was a synonym for “many”
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

You're obviously not worried about being seen as a nutter then?
    No. I've followed this story quite carefully. This Grusch character seems to have been one of many people coming forward to the US inspectorate of intelligence for about two years, and on which they've no denial. His story is that and he and they have shared much more comprehensive details with the US IG, and that this will all be able to come out in the congressional hearings anounced today, if it's legally possible.

Meanwhile, the approach of most of the British and American media this week has been "nothing to see here, possibly lone nutter".

This is essentially not because of the stage the process is at, but purely because the claims are so outlandishly bizarre.

It's all very, very odd, as I mentioned.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

More like "Pimp over the water"?
    'Under' the water would be better imo.
  • Options
    All perfectly normal.
    Former President Donald Trump’s arraignment in federal court in Miami, Florida.
    https://twitter.com/MrOlmos/status/1668628864510349312

Anyone know the significance of the pig's head on a stick ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sadly not.

An outrageous slur. Boris! and his cabinet definitely got the vaccine right and that means Covid with it. Rishi is taking his own enquiry to court to stop them having the audacity to ask to see messages like Sir Gavin's undoubtedly erudite and well-reasoned explanation for this perfectly reasonable taking of LAs to court. It's irrelevant and damaging and it would be much better if we could blame the truly guilty person with regards to the government and Covid - Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    Hello. I’d like to talk to you about a woman I met recently. Let’s call her “Nadine”. She came to us with a story that we hear all too often. Nadine had been living a respectable life as a romantic novelist and member of parliament when she fell under the spell of an unscrupulous conman. We’ll call him “Boris”.

https://thecritic.co.uk/The-Stroppy-Appeal/
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sadly not.

Yes, he was wrong to close the schools. But we have another contender:
    https://wingsoverscotland.com/kirsty-blackmans-genitals/#more-137957

It is really worth watching the 2 pieces of video in this piece, if only to see Joanna Cherry's responses behind her. It is seriously funny.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Isn’t that the same thing?

You have an obsession with COVID labs

You have an obsession with UFOs

You don’t believe that COVID was spread by UFOs to soften us up for an alien invasion (I think. I hope.)

Hence all your obsessions (plural) are monothematic

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited June 2023
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Ouch. So there is.

I hate them. Got caught out in California once, ears ringing, and then you have to deal with the flooding and landslides.

Good news.

Looks like upper Mullardoch was worst hit. Lightning tracker shows 100+ strikes on Mullach na Dheiragain alone
    and the north side of the loch is no better. Beinn Dearg (Ullapool) also seems to have been picked out.

Fingers crossed there were no incidents.

I did get caught out on Am Basteir once, which was a hair raising experience...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

ClippP said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Fair enough

There is also great snobbery value in hating Boris, after all he is most popular with Sun reading working class white van man. And you really don't want to have to vote the same way as the man who uses the tradesman's entrance (albeit you mostly did in 2019 with a peg on your nose to keep Corbyn out if the LDs didn't have a chance in your seat).

However while it is now unacceptable to say you like Boris at upper middle class London and Home Counties dinner parties, it is acceptable to even say you will vote for Rishi at such events
    Is he? Polls don't actually show that, and the dripping sneer of "white van man believes whatever The S*n tells them" doesn't really endear them to vote Tory.
  • Options

Awkward:

That’s a hell of dignified response by his wife. fair play to her.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

One step at a time. The blob still has Suella and Rees-Mogg to attend to.
    The blob is going on my bedroom wall if they manage that.
  • Options

Awkward:

best to read down the thread...

https://twitter.com/mercer_felicity/status/1668612947713617920
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

DougSeal said:

What sticks out to me is that it's men aged 50-64 who are "long term sick" in the inactivity numbers. The same gammons who probably spend all day calling anyone under 40 lazy and accuse us all of never having done a hard day of work. It's time to ramp up benefit sanctions on these "sick" just as Labour and the coalition governments did for the same kind of "long term sick" young people from 2005-2015 that put an extra million young people into work.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Carnations?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

12,000 per tribe

In a time when “30” (as in “thirty days and thirty nights”) was a synonym for “many”
    "In my father's house there are many mansions. If it were not so I would have told you. "

Or, to put it another way, God doesn't seem overly inhibited by planning regulations.
  • Options

Awkward:

best to read down the thread...

https://twitter.com/mercer_felicity/status/1668612947713617920
    "Firstly, are you ok?"

"Thrilled - saves me a job😉"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Pay growth below that of prices. That's not Mr Micawber's recipe for prosperity and happiness.
    At the bottom of the market pay is rising at about 10-11% vs 8.7% CPI inflation, or 7.8% CPIH. It's people in the upper middle income bands that are being squeezed by tax thresholds being frozen and pay rises around 5-8%.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Ouch. So there is.

Good news.

Looks like upper Mullardoch was worst hit. Lightning tracker shows 100+ strikes on Mullach na Dheiragain alone
    and the north side of the loch is no better. Beinn Dearg (Ullapool) also seems to have been picked out.

Fingers crossed there were no incidents.

I did get caught out on Am Basteir once, which was a hair raising experience...
    Static electricity will do that...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

Awkward:

Different MP.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

Awkward:

Not sure it's true somehow....

https://twitter.com/mercer_felicity
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

All perfectly normal.
    Former President Donald Trump’s arraignment in federal court in Miami, Florida.
    https://twitter.com/MrOlmos/status/1668628864510349312

Anyone know the significance of the pig's head on a stick ?

Trump's Florida counsel of record?

Though generally spekaing, his legal advisors end up with their heads on a pike AFTER rather before commencing representation. Getting ahead of the curve?
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 237
    Johnson is not coming back this side of a general election, it wouldn't surprise me in the event of Labour winning a small majority, in four years time, he comes back in a by-election, and the Tory Party who lost their moral compass years ago, make him leader again, and who knows if he can think of some vacuous 3 word slogan, that the right wing media can get behind, he defeats labour in 2029

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ENOUGH!

Why? - the essence of the Boris tragedy lies in his extraordinary ability to win coupled with no idea whatsoever what to do next.
This discussion has been closed.