Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The strike by doctors is a huge challenge for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited April 2023

Drove past the Royal this am Intending to beep my horn in solidarity with junior doctors, nothing! What the hell is going on, is industrial action now banned in one party police state Scotland?

Question. If we have a one party police state in Scotland, why did the police state just dawn raid the one party, arrest its ex boss and confiscate huge amounts of papers and computers from its HQ?

In a police state, the state have the police dawn raid everyone else, not the party in charge...
    If you are referring to the raid on Sturgeon's house she left at 8.10 am, 20 minutes before the police arrived at the empty house

Presumably she was made aware of the situation to leave in time

Hardly a dawn raid
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,258
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

On topic. I think that the "junior doctors" will before too long run out of sympathy. There is only so long that the public sees what appear to be very well educated, charming young people, perhaps with knitted scarves and mascots on the picket line and withdrawing treatment from the poorest in society, before they think "hold on".

Class war!
    Is it only horny handed sons (& daughters) of toil who can depend on public support for industrial action?
    Everything is relative. "Junior doctors" are predominantly in the 5% if not the 1% but by all means man the barricades on their behalf.
    As I mentioned previously I’ve been searching for barricades to man but a mysterious dearth of them in Scotland,
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,863
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

The Doctors and nurses and all emergency workers need permanent no strike agreements

In that case we need independent pay boards that the government is obligated to adhere to.

That is one element that is being negotiated by the Consultants. If not making progress by May 15th, we will be balloting to strike too.

https://twitter.com/BMA_Consultants/status/1642856787341721600?t=oOpQkXhnOZQieLDJFKRMIw&s=19
    Yes, the current arrangement is independent boards which government ignores when it doesn't like the recommendation.
    Isnt the issue that its not independent in the first place? The government gives it a budget and inflation target.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

Still my favourite political attack ad.

The greatest political ad of all time was the 2015 Green Party PPB with the Cameron/Clegg/Miliband/Farage impersonators singing together.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The greatest political ad of all time was the 2015 Green Party PPB with the Cameron/Clegg/Miliband/Farage impersonators singing together.
    You are too young to remember the yogic flyers......
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

On topic. I think that the "junior doctors" will before too long run out of sympathy. There is only so long that the public sees what appear to be very well educated, charming young people, perhaps with knitted scarves and mascots on the picket line and withdrawing treatment from the poorest in society, before they think "hold on".

Class war!
    Is it only horny handed sons (& daughters) of toil who can depend on public support for industrial action?
    Everything is relative. "Junior doctors" are predominantly in the 5% if not the 1% but by all means man the barricades on their behalf.
    As I mentioned previously I’ve been searching for barricades to man but a mysterious dearth of them in Scotland,
    I hate it when that happens.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,146
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    I hate it when that happens.
    I think he means if only Scotland was independent the doctors would be on strike there too
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

kle4 said:

Oh, I lament the failure to adopt transcendental meditation as a core policy.

I think the natural law party ideas would fit in well today.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

maxh said:

ydoethur said:

maxh said:

Sunak needs several months of tumbling inflation. The lower it goes, the more outlandish the junior doctors' pay claim will look.

They should settle now for the same deal the nurses have been offered (with the cash bonus reflecting higher salaries, but with basic % increases the same).

Sunak should address the nation, saying we can afford no more for doctors than we can for nurses. Any disruption to the NHS, any deaths will be on the negotiators for the junior doctors. They have been told the offer will not be improved. And it will not.

Leveraging the nations's health for NHS pay deals is not something his government will tolerate.

As a teacher I agree that the nurses settlement sets a reasonable compromise balancing wage demands with the need to control inflation. Not sure why Keegan didn’t offer it to teachers tbh.

In fact I think the teachers union have said we’d accept that. I really don’t want to strike in the run up to exams.
    She thinks Nick Gibb is good, Amanda Spielman is fit to be Chief of OFSTED* and exams are much improved.

Therefore the balance of evidence is she's an idiot. That's one possible explanation.

But I think it much more likely the Treasury are leaning harder on education to cut costs than they are health. For a start, we have already seen that any education settlement will be unfunded.

Again, the grey vote gets what the grey vote wants while everyone else gets hammered.

*Amusingly autocorrect on my laptop changed that to 'Ousted.' Freudian foreshadowing?
    Yeah, anecdotally a lot of teachers I know voted to reject the pay offer not because it was paltry but because it was unfunded. That Keegan talked about reducing workload in the same breath was laughable.
    The DfE were committed to setting up a Taskforce...

I do wonder what planet these politicians are on, this kind of rubbish just will not wash. People aren't idiots.
    They are on planet disconnected from the reality of most people's lives.

That's particularly true of education, where a the well off, even if their kids are at a state school (unusual for most Tory ministers), are going to be sending them to one with few of the problems facing the majority of schools.
  • Options

Drove past the Royal this am Intending to beep my horn in solidarity with junior doctors, nothing! What the hell is going on, is industrial action now banned in one party police state Scotland?

Question. If we have a one party police state in Scotland, why did the police state just dawn raid the one party, arrest its ex boss and confiscate huge amounts of papers and computers from its HQ?

In a police state, the state have the police dawn raid everyone else, not the party in charge...
    If you are referring to the raid on Sturgeon's house she left at 8.10 am, 20 minutes before the police arrived at the empty house

Hardly a dawn raid
    If you’re going to keep repeating that old guff, at least get it right.

‘Police Scotland said Ms Sturgeon was at the house when officers arrived at 07:35 to arrest her husband.’
  • Options
    eek said:

This Government has 4 unfixable issues that it can be easily attacked on (except that any Government using them won't be able to fix them).

1) Why are taxes higher now than ever before
    2) Why are public services so bad
    3) Why can we no longer do infrastructure projects (see for example HS2)
    4) Why is public sector pay so low and how is it going to be resolved in areas where

The top two are absolutely key. We pay a fortune in tax. Highest in peacetime. And yet services provided are the worst they have been since many of them were founded. We pay so much money to the government, yet it claims to have no money for front line provision of everything from education to healthcare to transport.

The money is going somewhere. Some of it will be going on interest payments for the ocean of debt the Tories have got into. But so much of this "debt" is money printed by the Bank of England, so "debt" owed by the government to a bank owned by the government.

Where is the rest of it going? Not to front line services. So I start to wonder just how deep the spivocracy have enmeshed themselves into the machinery. We watched agog as the Tories handed billions of our money to themselves in exchange for either no PPE at all or unusable junk. But you only get that egregious when you are cocky and have run out of ways to line your own pockets.

Which does suggest an ocean of cash disappearing into the right bank accounts. Consultants, middle men, advisors. Not actually delivering anything on the ground, but making a fortune advising government departments of the things they could do if their cash wasn't being spent on consultants.
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

‘Police Scotland said Ms Sturgeon was at the house when officers arrived at 07:35 to arrest her husband.’
    In that case the media reporting omitted that observation but even then hardly a dawn raid
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh, I lament the failure to adopt transcendental meditation as a core policy.

I think the natural law party ideas would fit in well today.
    Their add is genius. 60% reduction in crime in Merseyside vs none in the rest of the country. They even solved Brexit and this was back in 1994. All by jumping up and down on your knees in bed.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,704
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

The Doctors and nurses and all emergency workers need permanent no strike agreements

In that case we need independent pay boards that the government is obligated to adhere to.

That is one element that is being negotiated by the Consultants. If not making progress by May 15th, we will be balloting to strike too.

https://twitter.com/BMA_Consultants/status/1642856787341721600?t=oOpQkXhnOZQieLDJFKRMIw&s=19
    Yes, the current arrangement is independent boards which government ignores when it doesn't like the recommendation.
    How many sets of recommendations from the Independent Pay Review Body have the Govts of the Day ignored since the current remit was set up in 2007?

I think the Govt need to do what they eventually did in the pandemic (was it 2020 or 2021?) and follow a recommendation made, which will still be around 1/3 or a little more than the rhetorical demand.
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

In that case the media reporting omitted that observation but even then hardly a dawn raid
    Whatever. It wasn't an empty house. Sturgeon was there. Murrell was there. Staff at SNP HQ were there. Boxes and boxes of party stuff taken away. A one party police state doesn't do that.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,311

TOPPING said:

A claimed pay rate of £14 an hour is compelling evidence for the public to be on board with the Junior Doctors.

£99 (less VAT) an hour (in his bank account) for a tradesman (after a 12 week training course) to fix your boiler but just £14 an hour for a 7 year trained and 10 year time-served doctor to save your child's life.
    You seriously think it is a 12 week training course.? To fix a boiler you must be gas safe registered. You must do a 4 year apprenticeship and then do gas safe assessments in each individual element of gas work which then must be done again every 3-5 years (which cost thousands.)
    Maybe I should have just left it as "plumber" but as you completely missed my point anyway, no harm done.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

TOPPING said:

A claimed pay rate of £14 an hour is compelling evidence for the public to be on board with the Junior Doctors.

£99 (less VAT) an hour (in his bank account) for a tradesman (after a 12 week training course) to fix your boiler but just £14 an hour for a 7 year trained and 10 year time-served doctor to save your child's life.
    You seriously think it is a 12 week training course.? To fix a boiler you must be gas safe registered. You must do a 4 year apprenticeship and then do gas safe assessments in each individual element of gas work which then must be done again every 3-5 years (which cost thousands.)
    Maybe I should have just left it as "plumber" but as you completely missed my point anyway, no harm done.
    I think your point was that to be a qualified tradesman takes little effort and you are then very well paid.

That is simply not true.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049

Hardly a dawn raid

What time was sunrise in Scotland?

Bright and cheerful here this morning. Best to all!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Hardly a dawn raid

That bit, in inverted commas, is a direct quote from the BBC ...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,522
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Not sure that doctors enjoy the same level of public support for their action, as do lower-paid public sector workers such as nurses and teachers. Presumably we should see some polling this week?

I'm not sure that people who actually depend on the NHS won't blame the government.
    I have a hospital routine appointments for a blood test and a routine haematology checkup this morning, so I'll sound a couple of people out.

My view is that the Junior Doctors are punching themselves in the head by refusing to start negotiations when their pay claim is patently rhetorical, incorporating for example an RPI inflation rate, choosing to hurt patients along the way, and could run out of sympathy in fairly short order.

I'm listening to claims on the radio now about a "hemorrhage of staff abroad", where NHS staff continue to increase. "But but but all the Doctors will go to Australia", which was exactly the same threat I recall from last time a couple of years ago. Did they all go to Australia?

I wonder if the real damage being done here is to the reputation / credibility of the BMA.

Starmer will love it as he will claim that the NHS Recovery Plan is going backwards.
    Not all doctors went to Australia. No-one seriously claimed ALL doctors would go to Australia, with or without three buts. Glad to help.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

eek said:

This Government has 4 unfixable issues that it can be easily attacked on (except that any Government using them won't be able to fix them).

4) Why is public sector pay so low and how is it going to be resolved in areas where

The top two are absolutely key. We pay a fortune in tax. Highest in peacetime. And yet services provided are the worst they have been since many of them were founded. We pay so much money to the government, yet it claims to have no money for front line provision of everything from education to healthcare to transport.

The money is going somewhere. Some of it will be going on interest payments for the ocean of debt the Tories have got into. But so much of this "debt" is money printed by the Bank of England, so "debt" owed by the government to a bank owned by the government.

Where is the rest of it going? Not to front line services. So I start to wonder just how deep the spivocracy have enmeshed themselves into the machinery. We watched agog as the Tories handed billions of our money to themselves in exchange for either no PPE at all or unusable junk. But you only get that egregious when you are cocky and have run out of ways to line your own pockets.

Which does suggest an ocean of cash disappearing into the right bank accounts. Consultants, middle men, advisors. Not actually delivering anything on the ground, but making a fortune advising government departments of the things they could do if their cash wasn't being spent on consultants.
    How easy is it to get hold of departmental figures for spending on such things - and also spending on contractors not employed by government, which seems to be a growing category, and one probably not subject to sub inflation wage restraint ?
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

What time was sunrise in Scotland?

Bright and cheerful here this morning. Best to all!
    At this time of year? Much the same as down souith.
  • Options

kle4 said:

What happened to Natural Law? Anyone here know anything about them. Was anyone here a member? Or, perish the thought, vote for them!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Fire up the quattro!
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid
    Clutching at straws there BigG.

I was more concerned by the Met explaining away why they prosecuted young Tory SPADS but didn't investigate Johnson at four of the five parties he allegedly attended? And the cynic in me might say, why was Johnson's (save for a minor infringement, which also
    unfairly in my view, enveloped his main internal opponent-Sunak) lawbreaking largely ignored whilst Currygate warranted a lengthy investigation?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Not sure that doctors enjoy the same level of public support for their action, as do lower-paid public sector workers such as nurses and teachers. Presumably we should see some polling this week?

Junior doctors' real terms pay has fallen by over a quarter in the last 15 years. They get plenty of sympathy from me.
    2% payrise in the finyear just ended with 11% inflation was just insulting. 3.5% this year is another real terms pay cut.

Barclay needs to re-open negotiations with a serious offer.

The university strikes continue too.
    And the teachers too. I'd wade through blood to get Labour in and stop the Tories destroying my kids' education.
    🤣 Love what you did there.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

"The polling agency Ipsos found that 54% of the 1,092 adults questioned said they supported the strikes, 3% more than did so when asked last month. Just over a quarter (26%) of participants said they opposed the stoppages while the other 17% had no view either way."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/10/junior-doctors-may-keep-striking-for-another-year-says-bma-insider
    While junior doctors won't get quite the level of sympathy that nurses did, they are definitely more popular than the Government, and a long standoff between Barclay and Sunak vs your local friendly doctor isn't going to end well for the Government.
  • Options

kle4 said:

What happened to Natural Law? Anyone here know anything about them. Was anyone here a member? Or, perish the thought, vote for them!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438UKM1Av1g

NLP PPB 1994 election - flying from 1:10 on.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

How easy is it to get hold of departmental figures for spending on such things - and also spending on contractors not employed by government, which seems to be a growing category, and one probably not subject to sub inflation wage restraint ?
    Well, that is one place the Juniors do go, and the nurses and ODPs too. Work locum or Agency to double your wages and work your chosen schedule.

I am old enough to remember when Tories believed in Market Forces.
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

I was more concerned by the Met explaining away why they prosecuted young Tory SPADS but didn't investigate Johnson at four of the five parties he allegedly attended? And the cynic in me might say, why was Johnson's (save for a minor infringement, which also
    unfairly in my view, enveloped his main internal opponent-Sunak) lawbreaking largely ignored whilst Currygate warranted a lengthy investigation?
    Durham has a competent police force, unworried by political considerations?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

The only way to stop inflation is to control spending - big pay rises are not going to cut it! Many of us are old enough to have been here before. Applies to all governments.

So how large of a real terms pay cut do you think should be imposed ?
    When any economy takes a big external hit like Ukraine or COVID a bill eventually lands on the doorstep. There can be a significant loss to GDP. Income levels , ability to spend are all affected and will fall either directly through wage and spending cuts or indirectly as inflation will always exceed pay rises. The trick comes in spreading the pain. Of course you know this but part of the fallout is political attacks, mostly on the government of the day. I'm watching a similar scenario playing out in Spain over the past 18 months with the incumbent left wing parties paying the price. All the rest is the usual hyperbolic froth and tribalism. On your specifics I would guess 3-5% may be the ballpark figure for the current one. Either way there's not a lot anyone can do about it beyond temporary mitigation.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Hardly a dawn raid
    I thought that the "Sturgeon left first" story had been debunked.

Example:
    It is now understood Mr Murrell was arrested around 7.35am by plainclothes officers with Ms Sturgeon leaving after 8am before uniformed officers arrived on the scene. Since then, cops have been seen searching the couple's home and garden.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-breaks-silence-after-29641057

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    The Scots did give the Nurses a decent (though still sub CPI) payrise. There is an increasing pay divide between English and Scottish Nurses.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

I'm probably wrong! But we're tipping record amounts in via tax at the top, and getting ever poorer and more threadbare services out the bottom. So the money is going somewhere.

This is a live electoral issue. An awful lot of people live in places that are visibly tatty. Councils with no money no longer sweep the streets or have flower displays or fund anti-social behaviour teams. Schools and hospitals and doctors where they are obviously tatty with poor service delivery. Rampant out of control crime and no effective policing.

They voted Brexit because they were offered a solution to the mess. Then Tory for the first time ever because lets get it done and give the other lot a go. And yet everything just keeps getting crappier and more expensive.

The Tory plan appears to be a tax cut budget then an election. Look at the shiny farthing we just gave you, aren't we kind, vote us back in. But more than a farthing is needed. A bazooka of cash is needed. And we have shown that we can deploy bazookas for Covid and Ukraine so it can be done. And not doing so costs its own bazooka of cash as the economy contracts and the costs of clearing up the societal mess rises.

The real sad bit is that Labour won't actually fix any of this. They will just be less mendacious and corrupt.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Hardly a dawn raid

She was probably out the back gardening....
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Small update.

Remember the famous Belgian footballer who jumped his Mercedes off a roundabout through a gym wall at first floor level?

Turns out he was doing an estimated 120mph on an urban road, and the cause of the 'crash' "is being investigated".

https://www.brusselstimes.com/442703/an-accident-is-no-accident-when-speeding-is-involved

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131
    edited April 2023

Hardly a dawn raid

I was more concerned by the Met explaining away why they prosecuted young Tory SPADS but didn't investigate Johnson at four of the five parties he allegedly attended? And the cynic in me might say, why was Johnson's (save for a minor infringement, which also unfairly in my view, enveloped his main internal opponent-Sunak) lawbreaking largely ignored whilst Currygate warranted a lengthy investigation?
    Did the Met have jurisdiction over Currygate?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    The Scots did give the Nurses a decent (though still sub CPI) payrise. There is an increasing pay divide between English and Scottish Nurses.
    So they're not going to go to Australia after all. The Junior Doctors will go to Auchtermuchty.
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

I was more concerned by the Met explaining away why they prosecuted young Tory SPADS but didn't investigate Johnson at four of the five parties he allegedly attended? And the cynic in me might say, why was Johnson's (save for a minor infringement, which also unfairly in my view, enveloped his main internal opponent-Sunak) lawbreaking largely ignored whilst Currygate warranted a lengthy investigation?
    Did the Met have jurisdiction over Currygate?
    I thought that was BigG?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think your point was that to be a qualified tradesman takes little effort and you are then very well paid.

That is simply not true.
    I try not to pay tradesmen. I spent (at my wife's behest) my entire bank holiday weekend laying down a concrete slab to house a greenhouse. I can wire a light switch and a ceiling rose. I can re-route a waste pipe, I can solder and bend copper pipes. I can replace the clutch on a classic Mini. I can exchange a gearbox on a Ford Capri. All with a Haynes manual, YouTube and no training whatsoever.

If you need open heart surgery on the other hand, I am not your man.
  • Options
    Who do the population like and respect more, quacks or politicians? I'm betting Dr Sunak earning 30k+ a year, but saving lives and making life a little better for his patients is going to get a lot more sympathy than PM Sunak, Tory millionaire, married into a billionaire family.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    So they're not going to go to Australia after all. The Junior Doctors will go to Auchtermuchty.
    Increasingly both Doctors and Nurses simply leave the profession. Teachers, University staff, Civil Servants, Social Care staff too.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    Same with the teachers - 8.5k difference at some points on main scale.

For comparison, teachers in England were offered approx 650 quid after tax, as a one off, and unfunded - meaning a funding cut for schools. I can only assume Keegan is doing this deliberately, or she is incredibly stupid.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hardly a dawn raid
    I thought that the "Sturgeon left first" story had been debunked.

Example:
    It is now understood Mr Murrell was arrested around 7.35am by plainclothes officers with Ms Sturgeon leaving after 8am before uniformed officers arrived on the scene. Since then, cops have been seen searching the couple's home and garden.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-breaks-silence-after-29641057

Apparently 'digging up the garden' was a media myth as well! THough the wording here in the quote seems to be correct - they were poking around the shed etc.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.
    I try not to pay tradesmen. I spent (at my wife's behest) my entire bank holiday weekend laying down a concrete slab to house a greenhouse. I can wire a light switch and a ceiling rose. I can re-route a waste pipe, I can solder and bend copper pipes. I can replace the clutch on a classic Mini. I can exchange a gearbox on a Ford Capri. All with a Haynes manual, YouTube and no training whatsoever.

All those poorly paid heart surgeons
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,146

The money is going somewhere.

*cough*BREXIT*cough*
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Cancelled
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

kle4 said:

Gone - retreated to the spiritual realm.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Probably not the best example I could have cited, but when you are determined not to see the wood for the trees, there is no point suggesting an alternative.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Interested that you think the RCN will vote to reject the government offer.

It wouldn't surprise me either.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    For the sake of transparency I believe Scottish junior doctors are being balloted until May 1st on whether to pursue strike action, but there certainly doesn’t seem to be any sense of urgency on going toe to toe with the SG. No doubt this will be seen by the Yoonerati as a symptom of Useless and the SNP being soft on standing up to the Marxist unions.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Well, that is one place the Juniors do go, and the nurses and ODPs too. Work locum or Agency to double your wages and work your chosen schedule.

I am old enough to remember when Tories believed in Market Forces.
    Yes, of course - something common to all government departments, I think.
    But how easy is it to get an analysis of the spending ? You essentially have two classes of workers, and it would be interesting to get a grasp of the actual numbers.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    edited April 2023

Hardly a dawn raid

There is also the issue of a very expensive

110k touring motorised vehicle taken from the drive of Murrel's 92 yr old mother .. Why one wonders????

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/12fzhe2/exclusive_police_have_seized_a_110000_luxury/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!
    Increasingly both Doctors and Nurses simply leave the profession. Teachers, University staff, Civil Servants, Social Care staff too.
    If we take it that the number of training places is both limited and oversubscribed then it shouldn't matter. Because those who don't want to join because the pay and conditions are so dreadful will go into teaching and those who are happy to accept the privations of being a doctor in the NHS will take up those places.

There may be a gap before this normalises.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    edited April 2023
    Sodding Vanilla formatting arse deleted
    Scott_xP said:

*cough*BREXIT*cough*
    It isn't Brexit. That has added cost to business and shrunk the size of the economy. Taxes are still at a record peacetime high and the shrinking economy doesn't mean there is insufficient cash to pay for things.

The Tory answer is always "we are spending record amounts on the NHS / Education". And yet it gets worse and worse as a lived experience. So the money is being tipped in and not reaching the places it is needed. It is being syphoned out. Going into pockets rather than headteacher budgets.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

I think that's a little unfair on the trades. I'm currently doing up an old timber building by the river to be our permanent home. I'm doing most of the work myself, but that's because I've had 40 years of doing stuff. Helping mates who have a trade as a labourer, doing my own houses up (learning and making mistakes as I went along), being too skint to afford a mechanic to fix or replace parts on a car. The fire service taught me a lot of practical skills too. Getting an apprenticeship, working hard for crap pay while you learn the skills and gain a reputation isn't the road to riches, but can set you up with a trade for life. I've tried to get all my lads hands on with the tools, but only the youngest can wield a Dewalt with any panache,
  • Options

Who do the population like and respect more, quacks or politicians? I'm betting Dr Sunak earning 30k+ a year, but saving lives and making life a little better for his patients is going to get a lot more sympathy than PM Sunak, Tory millionaire, married into a billionaire family.

Good point. Because the barriers to entry for MPs is very high. You need a pulse. And we know how much those cost.
  • Options

We lucky people in Scotland get the best of both worlds with Sandesh Gulhane who is both a gp and MSP. That he loves to appear in scrubs probably indicates which incarnation he knows resonates with the public.

There’s something about Sandesh..

• Options

The irony is that with erosion of GP and pharmacist pay rates, Dr and Mrs Sunak probably couldn't send little Rishi to Winchester any more.

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD136742/Unprecedented-closures-Pharmacy-leaders-press-Sunak-for-cash-injection#.Y9o5rhoZ0Fo.twitter
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Probably not the best example I could have cited, but when you are determined not to see the wood for the trees, there is no point suggesting an alternative.
    The point is that "Junior Doctors" know the way their industry is structured. Doing the graft at the beginning and then far better than average riches to follow. Perhaps crazy levels if they do private work also.

I know we had a thing about the doxxed departed on here but look at @Foxy. No idea their identity but doing very well thank you, pondering retiring. Was once a junior doctor. That's how it works.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566

Hardly a dawn raid
    In many one party states, it is traditional to arrest/imprison the outgoing Maximum Leader, the moment they leave office.

Corruption charges are standard operating procedure for this.

The similarity to the ritual sacrifice of the Sacred King, to cast off sins and failures, has long been noted.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Nigelb said:

eek said:

I'm probably wrong! But we're tipping record amounts in via tax at the top, and getting ever poorer and more threadbare services out the bottom. So the money is going somewhere.

This is a live electoral issue. An awful lot of people live in places that are visibly tatty. Councils with no money no longer sweep the streets or have flower displays or fund anti-social behaviour teams. Schools and hospitals and doctors where they are obviously tatty with poor service delivery. Rampant out of control crime and no effective policing.

They voted Brexit because they were offered a solution to the mess. Then Tory for the first time ever because lets get it done and give the other lot a go. And yet everything just keeps getting crappier and more expensive.

The Tory plan appears to be a tax cut budget then an election. Look at the shiny farthing we just gave you, aren't we kind, vote us back in. But more than a farthing is needed. A bazooka of cash is needed. And we have shown that we can deploy bazookas for Covid and Ukraine so it can be done. And not doing so costs its own bazooka of cash as the economy contracts and the costs of clearing up the societal mess rises.

The real sad bit is that Labour won't actually fix any of this. They will just be less mendacious and corrupt.
    The "somewhere" is to the lockdown debt.

Your penultimate sentence seems to be correct. I wouldn't be so sure about the last one.
  • Options
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

The only way to stop inflation is to control spending - big pay rises are not going to cut it! Many of us are old enough to have been here before. Applies to all governments.

When any economy takes a big external hit like Ukraine or COVID a bill eventually lands on the doorstep. There can be a significant loss to GDP. Income levels , ability to spend are all affected and will fall either directly through wage and spending cuts or indirectly as inflation will always exceed pay rises. The trick comes in spreading the pain. Of course you know this but part of the fallout is political attacks, mostly on the government of the day. I'm watching a similar scenario playing out in Spain over the past 18 months with the incumbent left wing parties paying the price. All the rest is the usual hyperbolic froth and tribalism. On your specifics I would guess 3-5% may be the ballpark figure for the current one. Either way there's not a lot anyone can do about it beyond temporary mitigation.
    If that's government policy, then government should be honest about it and tell us how much poorer they believe the country to be.

At the moment it's all smoke, mirrors and spin.

I wouldn't disagree that economies have taken large external hits - plus for us, the self inflicted one from Brexit - but we have a government which pretends that we aren't poorer as a nation.

Labour ought to do the same - and have an opportunity to frame it in a way not advantageous for the government.
    Occasionally, voters appreciate honesty.
  • Options

Sodding Vanilla formatting arse deleted

Scott_xP said:

*cough*BREXIT*cough*
    It isn't Brexit. That has added cost to business and shrunk the size of the economy. Taxes are still at a record peacetime high and the shrinking economy doesn't mean there is insufficient cash to pay for things.

The Tory answer is always "we are spending record amounts on the NHS / Education". And yet it gets worse and worse as a lived experience. So the money is being tipped in and not reaching the places it is needed. It is being syphoned out. Going into pockets rather than headteacher budgets.
    Ever heard of population growth and population ageing?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

If that's government policy, then government should be honest about it and tell us how much poorer they believe the country to be.

At the moment it's all smoke, mirrors and spin.

I wouldn't disagree that economies have taken large external hits - plus for us, the self inflicted one from Brexit - but we have a government which pretends that we aren't poorer as a nation.

Labour ought to do the same - and have an opportunity to frame it in a way not advantageous for the government.
    Occasionally, voters appreciate honesty.
    And the misery isn't evenly spread. It is for the workers, not the mortgage free retired Tory client vote.
  • Options

We lucky people in Scotland get the best of both worlds with Sandesh Gulhane who is both a gp and MSP. That he loves to appear in scrubs probably indicates which incarnation he knows resonates with the public.

Exactly. He looks like the sort of fella old lady's would coo over as he's checking their pulse. Put him in a sharp suit, with a political rosette on and they'd do a runner!
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid
    In many one party states, it is traditional to arrest/imprison the outgoing Maximum Leader, the moment they leave office.

The similarity to the ritual sacrifice of the Sacred King, to cast off sins and failures, has long been noted.
    Also traditionally those one parties tend to control the media, electoral process and armed forces while not depending on other parties for coalitions with which to govern.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,344

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!

For comparison, teachers in England were offered approx 650 quid after tax, as a one off, and unfunded - meaning a funding cut for schools. I can only assume Keegan is doing this deliberately, or she is incredibly stupid.
    Since she’d have to be pretty stupid anyway to do that, you’ve come up with a false dichotomy.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

The point is that "Junior Doctors" know the way their industry is structured. Doing the graft at the beginning and then far better than average riches to follow. Perhaps crazy levels if they do private work also.

I know we had a thing about the doxxed departed on here but look at @Foxy. No idea their identity but doing very well thank you, pondering retiring. Was once a junior doctor. That's how it works.
    That is how social exclusion works in law and medicine. Only those from wealthy backgrounds can afford to stick out the lean years.
    Isn't "lean years" = more than wages of many in society?
  • Options

I’m so old I remember when Tories used to cheer inflation busting pay increases, it was wait fewer than two years ago.

So dim that they had forgotten they were the largest employer in the country.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,344
    Go into tyre place to get a deflating tyre checked. Find my tracking is so far out both front tyres are about to burst.

An ‘ouch’ moment financially but I suppose cheaper than a blowout at 70…
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

Also traditionally those one parties tend to control the media, electoral process and armed forces while not depending on other parties for coalitions with which to govern.
    {The Polish People’s Party has entered the chat}
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,526
    edited April 2023
    felix said:

No, that's not the only way to stop inflation - increasing supply is another and far better way to do it. Energy supply especially, as this is at the basis of everything. This Government has not just been ineffective in this regard: their policies on domestic hydrocarbons have been actively harmful.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,390

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Class war!

For comparison, teachers in England were offered approx 650 quid after tax, as a one off, and unfunded - meaning a funding cut for schools. I can only assume Keegan is doing
    this deliberately, or she is incredibly stupid.
    Replace the last 'or' with an 'and'
  • Options
    edited April 2023

I’m so old I remember when Tories used to cheer inflation busting pay increases, it was wait fewer than two years ago.

So this is what a high wage economy looks like. Hurrah!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

I think that's a little unfair on the trades. I'm currently doing up an old timber building by the river to be our permanent home. I'm doing most of the work myself, but that's because I've had 40 years of doing stuff. Helping mates who have a trade as a labourer, doing my own houses up (learning and making mistakes as I went along), being too skint to afford a mechanic to fix or replace parts on a car. The fire service taught me a lot of practical skills too. Getting an apprenticeship, working hard for crap pay while you learn the skills and gain a reputation isn't the road to riches, but can set you up with a trade for life. I've tried to get all my lads hands on with the tools, but only the youngest can wield a Dewalt with any panache,
    Invaluable DIY tip and off topic

I couldn't agree more. With tradesman you are not paying for what they do, but what they know. I had spent days trying to solder an elbow onto a copper pipe, but it wouldn't seal because I couldn't keep it dry. A plumber friend sealed the pipe to keep the joint dry using a piece of bread. The joint kept dry and the solder took, and the bread shot out under pressure of the water. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years, and for that alone he was worth his £60 an hour or part- thereof. I am not dismissing the very expensive skills of tradesman, my point is that their skills are sometimes easily transferable to the untrained. Less so the knowledge of a skilled clinician.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

That is how social exclusion works in law and medicine. Only those from wealthy backgrounds can afford to stick out the lean years.
    Isn't "lean years" = more than wages of many in society?
    The world has changed outside the NHS - in most jobs, flogging the juniors until moral improves is no longer The Way.
  • Options

Hardly a dawn raid

Tollund Man?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Its what my wife and daughter are reporting. I thought the one off payment would seal the deal with experienced nurses getting over £3k, but apparently not. There are some big arguments on Nurse's Whats App groups. The union are pleading with the nurses to accept the offer as they have said if they don't the one off payment offer will be withdrawn and they cannot negotiate for anything else. Its definitely on a knife edge.
  • Options

Exactly. He looks like the sort of fella old lady's would coo over as he's checking their pulse. Put him in a sharp suit, with a political rosette on and they'd do a runner!
    Yes, blue scrubs (perhaps not coincidentally matching the Saltire) trump a royal blue Tory rosette any day.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

I couldn't agree more. With tradesman you are not paying for what they do, but what they know. I had spent days trying to solder an elbow onto a copper pipe, but it wouldn't seal be
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

It really shouldn't be that way. We have posters on here celebrating their own £150k p a salaries for posting here 24/7 and arguing Junior Doctors deserve no more than a 5% uplift on £14 an hour. That's b*ll*cks!

Anyway off to make my millions.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,557
    edited April 2023

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Its what my wife and daughter are reporting. I thought the one off payment would seal the deal with experienced nurses getting over £3k, but apparently not. There are some big arguments on Nurse's Whats App groups. The union are pleading with the nurses to accept the offer as they have said if they don't the one off payment offer will be withdrawn and they cannot negotiate for anything else. Its definitely on a knife edge.
    When's the announcement of the results of the vote?

The trouble with a one-off payment is that, even if inflation falls as rapidly as is hoped (a shiny sixpence says that it won't, becuase inflation is always stickier than we'd like), the increased cost of living is permanent.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

"The polling agency Ipsos found that 54% of the 1,092 adults questioned said they supported the strikes, 3% more than did so when asked last month. Just over a quarter (26%) of participants said they opposed the stoppages while the other 17% had no view either way."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/10/junior-doctors-may-keep-striking-for-another-year-says-bma-insider
    Ha! Polling vs PB Tory anecdote (h/t @tim)
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 786
    eek said:

Worth saying that the BMA Ads are hard to argue against..

While I agree Doctors should be paid a decent wage, and I hope they get the 35%, I really don't like it when salaried professionals convert their yearly salary into an hourly wage. It feels like a statistical sleight of hand to me and anyone that works in a pretty well-paid job, but one that requires long hours, tends to come out pretty poor on that metric.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Invaluable DIY tip and off topic

I couldn't agree more. With tradesman you are not paying for what they do, but what they know. I had spent days trying to solder an elbow onto a copper pipe, but it wouldn't seal because I couldn't keep it dry. A plumber friend sealed the pipe to keep the joint dry using a piece of bread. The joint kept dry and the solder took, and the bread shot out under pressure of the water. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years, and for that alone he was worth his £60 an hour or part- thereof. I am not dismissing the very expensive skills of tradesman, my point is that their skills are sometimes easily transferable to the untrained. Less so the knowledge of a skilled clinician.
    You can also use bread to remove a transmission pilot bearing if you don't have a puller.
  • Options

It must be tricky for some people to argue both the following at the same time:

1. If the doctors don't get a substantial pay rise, of course they won't all leave for Australia, Ireland or wherever. This is the greatest country on earth CURRENTLY. They're just bluffing - take no notice.

2. If Labour gets into power and raises taxes on the rich, there will be a huge exodus of our brightest and best to global low tax regimes. They're definitely not bluffing - we need to listen to them.

Fixed it for you.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

I couldn't agree more. With tradesman you are not paying for what they do, but what they know. I had spent days trying to solder an elbow onto a copper pipe, but it wouldn't seal be
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

It really shouldn't be that way. We have posters on here celebrating their own £150k p a salaries for posting here 24/7 and arguing Junior Doctors deserve no more than a 5% uplift on £14 an hour. That's b*ll*cks!

Anyway off to make my millions.
    Why does Vanilla keep deleted unposted comments? Its very annoying and is why so many posts start with three saved dots.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,526
    Surely the solution is to keep them on the same salary but agree an overtime rate. That incentives them to work more, and is fair.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    I wonder if RefUK supporters generally share Farage's enthusiasm for Trump?

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1644646938447339521?cxt=HBwWgoCzsajr-tItAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw==&refsrc=email

There's right-wing, and there's nuts. That said, Farage is right to point out that Trump is doing well in GOP terms.
  • Options
    And lest we forget if you stick a slice of bread in a Dualit 2 Slice Lite Toaster for 3 mins and then put butter and marmite on it you have yourself a tasty breakfast.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Which is where some honesty from government might help.

As it is, the relentless spin (spending a record amount on x, y, z, etc) means no one believes the spending constraints claimed by government.
  • Options

I wonder if RefUK supporters generally share Farage's enthusiasm for Trump?

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1644646938447339521?cxt=HBwWgoCzsajr-tItAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw==&refsrc=email

There's right-wing, and there's nuts. That said, Farage is right to point out that Trump is doing well in GOP terms.

Sample size: 368 registered (not likely) voters, so not sure it's proof he's "doing well". Though Alvin Bragg is doing his best for him.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,300

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

When do,they announce the result ?
This discussion has been closed.