Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The strike by doctors is a huge challenge for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Surely the solution is to keep them on the same salary but agree an overtime rate. That incentives them to work more, and is fair.

We want junior doctors to work even longer hours?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138

It must be tricky for some people to argue both the following at the same time:

1. If the doctors don't get a substantial pay rise, of course they won't all leave for Australia, Ireland or wherever. This is the greatest country on earth. They're just bluffing - take no notice.

2. If Labour gets into power and raises taxes on the rich, there will be a huge exodus of our brightest and best to global low tax regimes. They're definitely not bluffing - we need to listen to them.

There is data to support both claims, to some extent.

I posted this yesterday, for example.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/10/super-rich-abandoning-norway-at-record-rate-as-wealth-tax-rises-slightly
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

On topic. I think that the "junior doctors" will before too long run out of sympathy. There is only so long that the public sees what appear to be very well educated, charming young people, perhaps with knitted scarves and mascots on the picket line and withdrawing treatment from the poorest in society, before they think "hold on".

A claimed pay rate of £14 an hour is compelling evidence for the public to be on board with the Junior Doctors.

£99 (less VAT) an hour (in his bank account) for a tradesman (after a 12 week training course) to fix your boiler but just £14 an hour for a 7 year trained and 10 year time-served doctor to save your child's life.
    You seriously think it is a 12 week training course.? To fix a boiler you must be gas safe registered. You must do a 4 year apprenticeship and then do gas safe assessments in each individual element of gas work which then must be done again every 3-5 years (which cost thousands.)
    Maybe I should have just left it as "plumber" but as you completely missed my point anyway, no harm done.
    I think your point was that to be a qualified tradesman takes little effort and you are then very well paid.

That is simply not true.
    I try not to pay tradesmen. I spent (at my wife's behest) my entire bank holiday weekend laying down a concrete slab to house a greenhouse. I can wire a light switch and a ceiling rose. I can re-route a waste pipe, I can solder and bend copper pipes. I can replace the clutch on a classic Mini. I can exchange a gearbox on a Ford Capri. All with a Haynes manual, YouTube and no training whatsoever.

If you need open heart surgery on the other hand, I am not your man.
    All those poorly paid heart surgeons
    Interested that you think the RCN will vote to reject the government offer.

It wouldn't surprise me either.
    Its what my wife and daughter are reporting. I thought the one off payment would seal the deal with experienced nurses getting over £3k, but apparently not. There are some big arguments on Nurse's Whats App groups. The union are pleading with the nurses to accept the offer as they have said if they don't the one off payment offer will be withdrawn and they cannot negotiate for anything else. Its definitely on a knife edge.
    When's the announcement of the results of the vote?

The trouble with a one-off payment is that, even if inflation falls as rapidly as is hoped (a shiny sixpence says that it won't, becuase inflation is always stickier than we'd like), the increased cost of living is permanent.
    The votiing deadline day is the 28th April. I get your one-off payment point, but I thought a decent "bonus" just before Summer would be a decent selling point. For lots of nurses its not and the Union are very worried as they have no Plan B.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

Surely the solution is to keep them on the same salary but agree an overtime rate. That incentives them to work more, and is fair.

I want them to work as many hours as they can, safely, and be paid for it. If that isn't the desired outcome, choose the desired outcome and structure pay around that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    Carnyx said:

Who do the population like and respect more, quacks or politicians? I'm betting Dr Sunak earning 30k+ a year, but saving lives and making life a little better for his patients is going to get a lot more sympathy than PM Sunak, Tory millionaire, married into a billionaire family.

We lucky people in Scotland get the best of both worlds with Sandesh Gulhane who is both a gp and MSP. That he loves to appear in scrubs probably indicates which incarnation he knows resonates with the public.

There’s something about Sandesh..

Exactly. He looks like the sort of fella old lady's would coo over as he's checking their pulse. Put him in a sharp suit, with a political rosette on and they'd do a runner!
    Yes, blue scrubs (perhaps not coincidentally matching the Saltire) trump a royal blue Tory rosette any day.
    I'm not (touch wood) a regular attendee of my surgeries past and present but I've never seen a gp wear scrubs in my life. Unkind sorts have suggested that Sandesh is a bit over fond of the cos play.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354

It must be tricky for some people to argue both the following at the same time:

1. If the doctors don't get a substantial pay rise, of course they won't all leave for Australia, Ireland or wherever. This is the greatest country on earth. They're just bluffing - take no notice.

2. If Labour gets into power and raises taxes on the rich, there will be a huge exodus of our brightest and best to global low tax regimes. They're definitely not bluffing - we need to listen to them.

The "rich" in number 2 includes Doctors
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    https://news.sky.com/story/ultra-low-interest-rates-set-to-return-imf-says-12854853

Ultra-low interest rates are set to return with inflation due to tumble in the near future, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

On topic. I think that the "junior doctors" will before too long run out of sympathy. There is only so long that the public sees what appear to be very well educated, charming young people, perhaps with knitted scarves and mascots on the picket line and withdrawing treatment from the poorest in society, before they think "hold on".

A claimed pay rate of £14 an hour is compelling evidence for the public to be on board with the Junior Doctors.

£99 (less VAT) an hour (in his bank account) for a tradesman (after a 12 week training course) to fix your boiler but just £14 an hour for a 7 year trained and 10 year time-served doctor to save your child's life.
    You seriously think it is a 12 week training course.? To fix a boiler you must be gas safe registered. You must do a 4 year apprenticeship and then do gas safe assessments in each individual element of gas work which then must be done again every 3-5 years (which cost thousands.)
    Maybe I should have just left it as "plumber" but as you completely missed my point anyway, no harm done.
    I think your point was that to be a qualified tradesman takes little effort and you are then very well paid.

That is simply not true.
    I try not to pay tradesmen. I spent (at my wife's behest) my entire bank holiday weekend laying down a concrete slab to house a greenhouse. I can wire a light switch and a ceiling rose. I can re-route a waste pipe, I can solder and bend copper pipes. I can replace the clutch on a classic Mini. I can exchange a gearbox on a Ford Capri. All with a Haynes manual, YouTube and no training whatsoever.

Its what my wife and daughter are reporting. I thought the one off payment would seal the deal with experienced nurses getting over £3k, but apparently not. There are some big arguments on Nurse's Whats App groups. The union are pleading with the nurses to accept the offer as they have said if they don't the one off payment offer will be withdrawn and they cannot negotiate for anything else. Its definitely on a knife edge.

The trouble with a one-off payment is that, even if inflation falls as rapidly as is hoped (a shiny sixpence says that it won't, becuase inflation is always stickier than we'd like), the increased cost of living is permanent.
    The votiing deadline day is the 28th April. I get your one-off payment point, but I thought a decent "bonus" just before Summer would be a decent selling point. For lots of nurses its not and the Union are very worried as they have no Plan B.
    Unions can be quite fraught. My BiL is in the RMT and he said that people were threatening to leave it over the strikes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Sandpit said:

Still my favourite political attack ad.

Fire up the quattro!
    Labour isn't working is still the gold standard.

Although Ed Miliband in Alex Salmond's pocket was probably the ad that had most cut through in my time of delivering leaflets.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

Carnyx said:

Who do the population like and respect more, quacks or politicians? I'm betting Dr Sunak earning 30k+ a year, but saving lives and making life a little better for his patients is going to get a lot more sympathy than PM Sunak, Tory millionaire, married into a billionaire family.

We lucky people in Scotland get the best of both worlds with Sandesh Gulhane who is both a gp and MSP. That he loves to appear in scrubs probably indicates which incarnation he knows resonates with the public.

Exactly. He looks like the sort of fella old lady's would coo over as he's checking their pulse. Put him in a sharp suit, with a political rosette on and they'd do a runner!
    Yes, blue scrubs (perhaps not coincidentally matching the Saltire) trump a royal blue Tory rosette any day.
    I'm not (touch wood) a regular attendee of my surgeries past and present but I've never seen a gp wear scrubs in my life. Unkind sorts have suggested that Sandesh is a bit over fond of the cos play.
    Local GP makes home visits ….. at least to me, who lives close to the surgery ….. in her scrubs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,993

They don't work such long hours any more, though do have rather rigid and antisocial hours.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Unions can be quite fraught. My BiL is in the RMT and he said that people were threatening to leave it over the strikes.
    Membership of the BMA has gone up by 17 000 this year.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949

Them were the days :D

Good morning PB
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

There used to be a Labour MP, Howard Stoate, who was a GP. He represented his local area IIRC, and used to do regular surgeries….. GP ones …… at his old practice.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

Quite right too. Who wouldn't want a well-organised group agitating for better pay and conditions. Although Kate whoever it was this morning on R4 interviewed by Martha Kearney was getting herself in a tizzy about their negotiating tactics.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286

Why does Vanilla keep deleted unposted comments? Its very annoying and is why so many posts start with three saved dots.

it saves them as drafts, which you can delete at the top of the vanilla page
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

That is simply not true.

NEU saw a surge in membership when it was the only teaching Union to strike.
    The others getting in on the act soon it may transpire.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    ydoethur said:

Go into tyre place to get a deflating tyre checked. Find my tracking is so far out both front tyres are about to burst.

An ‘ouch’ moment financially but I suppose cheaper than a blowout at 70…

You ought to have been able to see the uneven wear if it was that bad.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561

https://news.sky.com/story/ultra-low-interest-rates-set-to-return-imf-says-12854853

Ultra-low interest rates are set to return with inflation due to tumble in the near future, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

What Talleyrand said.

Good news for those of us who own our own houses, disaster for everyone else.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,510
    ydoethur said:

Go into tyre place to get a deflating tyre checked. Find my tracking is so far out both front tyres are about to burst.

I didn’t think you were that old…
  • Options
    edited April 2023

ydoethur said:

It was on the inner side of the inner edge. Not easy to see unless you take the wheel off.

Turned out one wheel was badly buckled due presumably to a pothole which is doubtless why it was losing air and the tracking was less true than a Cummings press release.

So I’ve now got the spare on. Fortunately it’s a proper wheel not one of those 50mph jokes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I didn’t think you were that old…
    40 last week.

And I’m told I don’t look a day over 67.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

Carnyx said:

It depends whether the gp also does some hours in a minor injuries unit or other clinic, as many do where we are.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    Yer carnt even have some innocent fun with dusky hued toys and make jokes about lynching without being arrested nowadays.

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1645717098516160515?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was on the inner side of the inner edge. Not easy to see unless you take the wheel off.

Turned out one wheel was badly buckled due presumably to a pothole which is doubtless why it was losing air and the tracking was less true than a Cummings press release.

So I’ve now got the spare on. Fortunately it’s a proper wheel not one of those 50mph jokes.
    That 50mph is bollocks. I've done 105mph on one. (hired Mondeo)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,642
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,221
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Not sure that doctors enjoy the same level of public support for their action, as do lower-paid public sector workers such as nurses and teachers. Presumably we should see some polling this week?

Junior doctors' real terms pay has fallen by over a quarter in the last 15 years. They get plenty of sympathy from me.
    Someone who was a junior doctor 15 years ago, now earns how much on average? I’ll take a guess at £65k.
    But someone who is a junior doctor now earns three quarters of what a junior doctor earned fifteen years ago. I can't for the life of me figure out why young people aren't voting Tory, it really is one of life's great mysteries.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good. And was it a sensible thing to do...?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited April 2023

This makes me question the economic competence of the IMF - or the reporting that is accompanying it at least:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65237286
    However, in a blog the IMF said that "recent increases in real interest rates are likely to be temporary".

Real interest rates are currently negative. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Of course, the fucking oil pump sounded like a jam jar full of molars. I had to get it back to Avis before it blew up.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,248

This makes me question the economic competence of the IMF - or the reporting that is accompanying it at least:

However, in a blog the IMF said that "recent increases in real interest rates are likely to be temporary".

I'm not sure we will see interest rates coming down significantly any time soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's a legal limit, isn't it ?
    So doesn't apply to you anyway. (De facto, not de jure, obvs.)
  • Options
  • Options

I'm not sure we will see interest rates coming down significantly any time soon.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they come down in a few years time, not necessarily any time soon.

But by the time they do, real interest rates will still be higher than they are today.
  • Options
    After so many recent scandals, I think we need a new formulation.
    "Fell short of that expected" doesn't really provide an accurate description any more.

CBI dismisses director general Tony Danker after conduct complaints
    UK business lobby group says conduct ‘fell short of that expected’ of its leader
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/11/cbi-dismisses-director-general-tony-danker-after-conduct-complaints
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Of course, the fucking oil pump sounded like a jam jar full of molars. I had to get it back to Avis before it blew up.
    Plea in mitigation, or did you get off again ?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

ydoethur said:

I once had an Audi Quattro as a company car. Really wide wheels on it. I had noticed it felt a little odd when touching white lines in the wet. One day when I turned in tight for a parking space I noticed that although I had plenty of tread on the outer part of the tyre the inner part was down to metal and canvas (or whatever they are made of). Obviously something seriously wrong somewhere but there was no way of seeing the tread on the inner side on that car unless the wheel was on full lock. Rather scared me.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Nigelb said:

After so many recent scandals, I think we need a new formulation.
    "Fell short of that expected" doesn't really provide an accurate description any more.

CBI dismisses director general Tony Danker after conduct complaints
    UK business lobby group says conduct ‘fell short of that expected’ of its leader
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/11/cbi-dismisses-director-general-tony-danker-after-conduct-complaints

Indeed.
    Makes it sound as if he didn't engage enthusiastically in the expected levels of sexual harassment, drunkenness and offensive "banter".
  • Options

I think they are talking about real interest rates based on index linked debt, which for the US at least have risen sharply and are positive. It doesn't help that the blog itself is illustrated using ex post realised rates from a number of countries, which, while they have risen significantly in recent months, are still negative as you say. The WEO chapter itself has the chart showing real rates based on index linked debt, which matches the argument in the text. Still, sloppy of the WEO team I think.
  • Options

It depends where in the world you are.

In China inflation is 1.8%, and much of Asia, Africa and Latin America below 5%.

China has a real interest rate of 2.5% or so.

• Options
    Nigelb said:
    The US recently banned all "morale" patches as the humour was getting a tad dark.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    I just read about the reason why Dunker got fired from the CBI. No 'resignation', just an immediate dismissal.
    The reason is "unwanted contact" that a female employee viewed "as sexual harassment".
    I do think that sexual harrassment is a very serious problem that should be tackled but it seem to me like a career destroying dismissal is a nuclear response generated by reputational panic on the part of the employer.
    This form of "revolutionary justice" is ultimately in no ones interest and we need to move away from it.
    From a practical point of view if you look at what fuels the popularity of masculine counter cultural figures like Andrew Tate, it is events like this.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I just read about the reason why Dunker got fired from the CBI. No 'resignation', just an immediate dismissal.
    The reason is "unwanted contact" that a female employee viewed "as sexual harassment".
    I do think that sexual harrassment is a very serious problem that should be tackled but it seem to me like a career destroying dismissal is a nuclear response generated by reputational panic on the part of the employer.
    This form of "revolutionary justice" is ultimately in no ones interest and we need to move away from it.
    From a practical point of view if you look at what fuels the popularity of masculine counter cultural figures like Andrew Tate, it is events like this.

I don't know the details, but if he's been engaging in unwanted contact then that is Gross Misconduct and absolutely deserving of dismissal.

If arseholes like Tate think they can harass any women they want and get away with it, they're wrong.
  • Options

An inflation rate of around 2-3% and an interest rate of around 4% is about ideal IMO.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Fire up the quattro!

Although Ed Miliband in Alex Salmond's pocket was probably the ad that had most cut through in my time of delivering leaflets.
    Yeah all of that chaos we managed to avoid by not having an Ed Miliband-led government in 2015... ;)
    I wonder how Ed would have coped with the pressures for a Brexit referendum....
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

darkage said:

I don't know the details, but if he's been engaging in unwanted contact then that is Gross Misconduct and absolutely deserving of dismissal.

If arseholes like Tate think they can harass any women they want and get away with it, they're wrong.
    Ok. How do you define: "unwanted contact"?

Would it comprise asking someone out for a drink? Asking them how they are getting on with a project? Sending them a link to a work related podcast? All of these things could be percieved by the recipient as unwanted contact in a work context. Where is the line?

I can only hope that this is a sufficiently serious matter to justify the action that occurred.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,939

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Fire up the quattro!

Yeah all of that chaos we managed to avoid by not having an Ed Miliband-led government in 2015... ;)
    Could have ended up in all sorts of ways. Maybe UKIP got 25% of the vote and 20 odd seats at the next GE so we moved to PR and lived happily ever after?
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Would it comprise asking someone out for a drink? Asking them how they are getting on with a project? Sending them a link to a work related podcast? All of these things could be percieved by the recipient as unwanted contact in a work context. Where is the line?

I can only hope that this is a sufficiently serious matter to justify the action that occurred.

I was thinking unwanted physical contact. Touching someone inappropriately etc

But either way we don't have the details, yet you immediately assume the sacking is inappropriate. Why?
  • Options

darkage said:

What's the world coming to when you can't indulge in some good old fashioned misogyny ?
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

None of those should be an HR matter apart from possibly asking someone out for a drink if they are a direct report. Asking someone out for a one on one drink repeatedly after getting no for an answer would generally be harrassment.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Not sure that doctors enjoy the same level of public support for their action, as do lower-paid public sector workers such as nurses and teachers. Presumably we should see some polling this week?

Junior doctors' real terms pay has fallen by over a quarter in the last 15 years. They get plenty of sympathy from me.
    Someone who was a junior doctor 15 years ago, now earns how much on average? I’ll take a guess at £65k.
    But someone who is a junior doctor now earns three quarters of what a junior doctor earned fifteen years ago. I can't for the life of me figure out why young people aren't voting Tory, it really is one of life's great mysteries.
    Is it because of a shortage of photos of their politicians draped in flags post Truss?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    Unpopular said:

eek said:

Worth saying that the BMA Ads are hard to argue against..

While I agree Doctors should be paid a decent wage, and I hope they get the 35%, I really don't like it when salaried professionals convert their yearly salary into an hourly wage. It feels like a statistical sleight of hand to me and anyone that works in a pretty well-paid job, but one that requires long hours, tends to come out pretty poor on that metric.
    If you convert it back to 30k for 72h/week it still looks pretty bad, but the impact of the 72h/week 'on call' is hidden if you just quote an annual salary.
  • Options

OK, now I believe that @TSE is doing work for Labour;

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1645728443848433667

LOL! 😂
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    darkage said:

That explanation of why he was fired (as with the official account) falls some way short of what might be expected.

That particular complaint was only one of several:
    ...After the Guardian inquired on Thursday about the formal complaint and raised several additional allegations about Danker’s behaviour towards other members of staff, including concern that the director general had been viewing employees’ personal Instagram profiles, the CBI said it had started an independent investigation and that Danker had asked to step aside during it...
    On top of which, he presumably bears some responsibility for the failure of the CBI adequately to investigate a number of other complaints against other individuals.

That you interpret all of that as 'revolutionary justice' as opposed to, for example, corporate coverup, is an interesting choice.

The Andrew Tate comment is just bizarre.
  • Options

Two of those are obvious lies.
    He travels by private helicopter, for a start.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

That explanation of why he was fired (as with the official account) falls some way short if what might be expected.

...After the Guardian inquired on Thursday about the formal complaint and raised several additional allegations about Danker’s behaviour towards other members of staff, including concern that the director general had been viewing employees’ personal Instagram profiles, the CBI said it had started an independent investigation and that Danker had asked to step aside during it...
    On top of which, he presumably bears some responsibility for the failure of the CBI adequately to investigate a number of other complaints against other individuals.

That you interpret all of that as 'revolutionary justice' as opposed to, for example, corporate coverup, is an interesting choice.

Presumably he either was viewing their public Instagram profiles or was invited to view their private Instagram profiles? Or did he hack Instagram?

Not sure viewing someones social media is worthy of dismissal?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811

Why not come up with an employment contract from the late 20th Cent? Don’t want to make people’s heads spin by having something from this century…

Sensible pay and conditions, negotiated no strike setup based on independent arbitration bodies for pay and dispute resolution.

I mean, that only work for millions of people employed in other jobs, in this country.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

That explanation of why he was fired (as with the official account) falls some way short if what might be expected.

Presumably he either was viewing their public Instagram profiles or was invited to view their private Instagram profiles? Or did he hack Instagram?

I'm not sure I said it was.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

It was the only specific in the link you provided, presumably to add weight to the argument that the dismissal was justified?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    Nigelb said:

Bottom left is just wrong

You grab the window seat and put your bag on the aisle seat.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Unpopular said:

eek said:

While I agree Doctors should be paid a decent wage, and I hope they get the 35%, I really don't like it when salaried professionals convert their yearly salary into an hourly wage. It feels like a statistical sleight of hand to me and anyone that works in a pretty well-paid job, but one that requires long hours, tends to come out pretty poor on that metric.
    If you convert it back to 30k for 72h/week it still looks pretty bad, but the impact of the 72h/week 'on call' is hidden if you just quote an annual salary.
    That is one of those nasty edge cases where an employer can find themselves getting the book thrown at them for abusing minimum wage laws.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

It was the only specific in the link you provided, presumably to add weight to the argument that the dismissal was justified?
    That article is this one.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/06/cbi-boss-tony-danker-steps-aside-amid-allegations-of-misconduct
    As you'll note, the allegations are rather more extensive, and include for example unwanted sexual messaging over a twelve month period.

That they brought in an outside employment specialist to investigate, and the investigation resulted in dismissal, speaks for itself.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Absolute rubbish because then it is easy for someone to ask you to move it and they will then sit there. If your bag is on the inside and you are on the aisle then it is a palaver to ask you to move it then squeeze past you so people will look for an "aisle bag" to be moved.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

That way around is fine. It is easy for someone to ask you to move your bag, whereas the other way around is sneaky as either the incumbant has to move seats or you have to squeeze past them, so likely don't bother and continue searching for an easier seat.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Fire up the quattro!

Would he have cleared the David Cameron bar of 'call one and lose it'?

Hell yes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Absolute rubbish because then it is easy for someone to ask you to move it and they will then sit there. If your bag is on the inside and you are on the aisle then it is a palaver to ask you to move it then squeeze past you so people will look for an "aisle bag" to be moved.
    Who is this mythic intruder onto his helicopter ?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Nah, I'll ask the person in the aisle seat to move their bag - I want the window.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/06/cbi-boss-tony-danker-steps-aside-amid-allegations-of-misconduct
    As you'll note, the allegations are rather more extensive, and include for example unwanted sexual messaging over a twelve month period.

That they brought in an outside employment specialist to investigate, and the investigation resulted in dismissal, speaks for itself.
    Well that sounds like a much more solid reason to sack someone.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Well that sounds like a much more solid reason to sack someone.
    As I said in my earlier post, the public statement really doesn't explain his dismissal, and I'll be surprised if they go into any details - not least because other cases are very likely still being investigated, including reportedly an alleged rape.
  • Options
    Driver said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Nah, I'll ask the person in the aisle seat to move their bag - I want the window.
    On balance people will first ask those with bags on the aisle seat. But it's a matter of utility. A view to some people is worth more than sitting on their own.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    darkage said:

darkage said:

I doubt if any of that would count as "unwanted contact".

Without judging this particular case, "unwanted contact" would typically mean touching someone where that person did not want to be touched, asking them for sex, texting dick pics.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

There used to be a Labour MP, Howard Stoate, who was a GP. He represented his local area IIRC, and used to do regular surgeries….. GP ones …… at his old practice.
    Philippa Whitford and Nadine Dorries also kept their hand in in recent years - during the Christmas/New Year period in the former case and the covid peak in the latter IIRC. And I think Mr Sarwar might also drill the odd dentition still?
  • Options
    Russian evangelism.

A Russian priest on the state TV channel is calling to "burn Ukrainians like pagans.” He continues to say that Ukrainians “need to be liquidated without having second thoughts!" This is the kind of “Christianity” that Russia wants to impose on Ukraine and the rest of the world.
    https://twitter.com/rshereme/status/1645328319137628161
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Russian evangelism.

A Russian priest on the state TV channel is calling to "burn Ukrainians like pagans.” He continues to say that Ukrainians “need to be liquidated without having second thoughts!" This is the kind of “Christianity” that Russia wants to impose on Ukraine and the rest of the world.

That's SPAS TV which is owned by the Moscow Patriarch so it's not a 'state' channel though I have no doubt the Russian government has some sympathy for the sentiment.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,566
    Eabhal said:
    All green for my in-laws next week :smile:

Bit of a shocker overall though. They should look into getting some new ferries, maybe? :innocent:
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Apparently Tupperware is in danger:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65237293

Bigger revelation to me was that "The firm became well-known in the 1950s and 1960s when people held 'Tupperware parties' in their homes to sell plastic containers for food storage."

I'd always believed a 'tupperware party' was some kind of euphemism used by suburban swingers. Could have been huge confusion and disappointment on either(?) side from such a misunderstanding :open_mouth: I was once invited to one by a promiscuous female acquaintance at university, which I declined - now wondering whether I missed out on some bargain food storage tubs :disappointed:

Very sensitive to context and date, I'd say. The term has evolved to cover Ann Summers-type parties and worse. Urban Dictionary has a variety of entries, one beginning

'Many decades ago a party hostess would sell Tupperware products, such as cooking utensils and bowls to her friends at Tupperware parties. The women who were invited often dragged their husbands or boyfriends along. The men universally hated this. So now when women throw parties that they don’t want their men to come along they call them Tupperware parties. These parties can consist of all sorts of naughty activities that “good girls” don’t do.'
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,034
    eek said:

mwadams said:

Unpopular said:

eek said:

That is one of those nasty edge cases where an employer can find themselves getting the book thrown at them for abusing minimum wage laws.
    I have experienced this. Got a significant settlement.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Russian evangelism.

I've always wondered what 'muscular Christianity' was all about.
  • Options

eek said:

Nigelb said:

That way around is fine. It is easy for someone to ask you to move your bag, whereas the other way around is sneaky as either the incumbant has to move seats or you have to squeeze past them, so likely don't bother and continue searching for an easier seat.
    Unless they are like me and choose the person with their bag on a seat for whom it will be the greatest inconvenience to move it. People who put their bags on seats are second only to people who put their feet on the seats in terms of scumminess.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Don't you put your bag in the overhead locker? Long time since I flew but that's how I remember it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Bigger revelation to me was that "The firm became well-known in the 1950s and 1960s when people held 'Tupperware parties' in their homes to sell plastic containers for food storage."

I'd always believed a 'tupperware party' was some kind of euphemism used by suburban swingers. Could have been huge confusion and disappointment on either(?) side from such a misunderstanding :open_mouth: I was once invited to one by a promiscuous female acquaintance at university, which I declined - now wondering whether I missed out on some bargain food storage tubs :disappointed:

Very sensitive to context and date, I'd say. The term has evolved to cover Ann Summers-type parties and worse. Urban Dictionary has a variety of entries, one beginning

'Many decades ago a party hostess would sell Tupperware products, such as cooking utensils and bowls to her friends at Tupperware parties. The women who were invited often dragged their husbands or boyfriends along. The men universally hated this. So now when women throw parties that they don’t want their men to come along they call them Tupperware parties. These parties can consist of all sorts of naughty activities that “good girls” don’t do.'
    Tupperware still employs a direct sales force - who earn a percentage of all the goods they sell - as well as selling goods on its website. rather elides over it being an MLM...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Don't you put your bag in the overhead locker? Long time since I flew but that's how I remember it.
    I believe it's referring to trains.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    Nigelb said:

Russian evangelism.

"Not one Step-mom back!"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    It would be interesting to know how many western governments "war-gamed" a Russian invasion of Ukraine before it happened (excluding a few weeks or months beforehand).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Russian evangelism.

That's SPAS TV which is owned by the Moscow Patriarch so it's not a 'state' channel though I have no doubt the Russian government has some sympathy for the sentiment.
    It is quite revolting - the absolute opposite of Christianity and the teachings of the Gospels.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

We are talking about trains.

Planes your options are overhead locker or under the seat in front of you.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Ah ok. It was all this 'aisle seat vs window seat' discussion. That spells planes to me. I don't think of train seats that way. With trains the binary I fret about - if I'm in a fretting mood - is facing forwards or facing backwards. I dislike facing backwards on a train. Although not as much as I'd hate to be facing backwards on a plane, come to think of it. Imagine flying backwards. No thank you. Bet even Dura or Tom Cruise haven't done that. I'd probably skip the flight and forget the holiday if that were the only option.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

In a women only carriage?
  • Options
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Does Mr Sunak use trains?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    kinabalu said:

Imagine flying backwards. No thank you. Bet even Dura or Tom Cruise haven't done that. I'd probably skip the flight and forget the holiday if that were the only option.

Common in helicopters.

'cargo' planes the option is sideways
  • Options
    Hang on, don't trains also have overhead lockers?

Don't say Driver is trolling and uplighting me again.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Russian evangelism.

It is quite revolting - the absolute opposite of Christianity and the teachings of the Gospels.
    Reminds me of that Bishop in the South of France, who, when fighting the Cathars told his men, on capturing a town with both heretics and non heretics in it to “kill them all; God will know his own!”
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218

They have lots of uplifts for anti-social and extra hours, they also have uplifts for specialities and the ludicrous crap about the £14 an hour is just garbage as it is only year 1 after qualifying and then rises up to almost 60K. They also get up to 2x for extra hours, weekends, anti-social etc, weekend allowance, on call allowance and so on.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

If you were declining invites from promiscuous females, why were you at University? Were you hoping to go there to get signed up the KGB? And maybe you missed their honey trap?

"Comrade, we will infiltrate western capitalism by the medium of "tupperware"....."
This discussion has been closed.