Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Trump case – latest YouGov US polling – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited April 2023

Genuinely outside the Sturgeon house.

What amazes me is just how boring as f*** that house is. Surely they can afford a better house.
    That was my thought. They must have other houses. That's not the pad of a long time first minister.

Do either of them spend much time there?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Pro_Rata said:

Pavarotti? They couldn't have come up with a better name than that?

Thirteen men have appeared in court charged with more than 50 offences as part of an investigation into child sexual exploitation in Bolton.

They are accused of offences against numerous girls, aged between 14 and 17, from 2016 to 2018 in the Blackrod area of Bolton and the nearby village of Adlington.

The men, who range in age from 21 to 34, were arrested as part of Operation Pavarotti, a Greater Manchester police investigation into child sexual exploitation following numerous allegations.

The accused were brought into court in groups of three or four for brief hearings at Bolton magistrates’ court.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bolton-grooming-gang-case-13-men-charged-with-more-than-50-offences-0wv6zlbmv

I note all the defendants in this particular case have Anglophone names.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/breaking-ten-men-charged-child-26380337
    Why do think they've been arrested and charged?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Speedy Rob "Gonzales" Jenrick might not even get his own PB thread at this rate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

felix said:

What's with the tent? Digging for skeletons?
    Yes. The tent is completely weird. Did the Sturgeons bury the money under a Fred West style
    patio?

Omg how can Yousless ride this out? He can’t

Forbes will be leader of a much diminished party within a year. Or they split
    I remember back to last night when I thought he would last until a trouncing at the GE. The quondam days.

If this kicks off, it will take a lot of people with it. And goodbye to La Sturge's ambitions of some International relations gig, swanning about the globe.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290

What amazes me is just how boring as f*** that house is. Surely they can afford a better house.
    The houses of the Camorra and Ndrangheta gangsters in Naples and Calabria are as anonymous as it gets. Dingy concrete boxes. Just sayin’
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Does anyone know why so many US House seats are uncontested by one or the other party ?

Is it an attempt to supress the other side's vote in other races ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Leon said:

All those excruciating Guardian op-eds about Sturgeon “having the wisdom and grace to know when to retire, unlike blah blah blah”

CHORTLE

What, like this one ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/16/the-guardian-view-on-nicola-sturgeon-a-warning-at-the-end-of-the-road
    ...She is going, above all, because her independence referendum strategy – the heart of what she and her party stand for – has run out of road. Her attempt to cast the next UK election as a proxy referendum is on the verge of collapse, a testament to her wider failure to leverage the SNP’s many electoral victories into another independence vote in an attempt to reverse the failure of 2014.

More immediately, her domestic policies are also facing a concatenation of criticism. Her handling of gender recognition reform has made her unpopular. Her promises on the NHS, education, public services and roads have not been fulfilled. Her government is in trouble over costly ferry-building projects and disputes over its deposit return scheme. Her party is being investigated by police over financial transparency issues, including a £107,000 loan from her husband...

Sounds fairly balanced to me, even if it was preceded by the usual guff about the strain of politics.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Leon said:

felix said:

Yes. The tent is completely weird. Did the Sturgeons bury the money under a Fred West style
    patio?

There's no evidence he's directly involved (yet), but he'll be spending the next few months firefighting and on the defensive over this. If he can move on....well who knows where this ends?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

kjh said:

Leon said:

@Leon FPT

You benefited from a stable society while growing up, one that provided an education and (for a while) free bed and board courtesy of Her Majesty. Roads, healthcare, rubbish collection, security, etc.

Now that you are a success don’t you have a moral obligation to pay something towards allowing others to enjoy those advantages?

(I’ve known a few people over the years who have chosen the life style you are talking about. They all end up… desiccated)

I’ve paid (literally) millions in tax to the UK Treasury. And I’ll probably pay more as and if and when I return. I’ve never even set up a PLC to legally avoid tax. Think I’ve done my share
    a) It is not a PLC you set up, it is a limited company. A PLC is going somewhat unnecessarily over the top
    b) It is pretty much a myth that a limited company helps you save tax. You just pay different taxes and some of the same taxes in different ways. Very much swings and roundabouts. There are many reasons for setting up a company.
    Technically a PLC s still a limited company. But there's a Private Limited company (LTD) and a Public Limited Company (PLC).
    Yep I know exactly what a PLC is and only an idiot would set one up for a one man band operation, but we are talking @leon here who has not knowingly ever got anything right.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

You’d have thought they could at least afford a £600k house.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

All those excruciating Guardian op-eds about Sturgeon “having the wisdom and grace to know when to retire, unlike blah blah blah”

CHORTLE

What, like this one ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/16/the-guardian-view-on-nicola-sturgeon-a-warning-at-the-end-of-the-road
    ...She is going, above all, because her independence referendum strategy – the heart of what she and her party stand for – has run out of road. Her attempt to cast the next UK election as a proxy referendum is on the verge of collapse, a testament to her wider failure to leverage the SNP’s many electoral victories into another independence vote in an attempt to reverse the failure of 2014.

More immediately, her domestic policies are also facing a concatenation of criticism. Her handling of gender recognition reform has made her unpopular. Her promises on the NHS, education, public services and roads have not been fulfilled. Her government is in trouble over costly ferry-building projects and disputes over its deposit return scheme. Her party is being investigated by police over financial transparency issues, including a £107,000 loan from her husband...

Sounds fairly balanced to me, even if it was preceded by the usual guff about the strain of politics.
    There were others much more cloying. Trust me. I gave myself hernias trying to get to the end of them
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Perhaps that explains why SKS has set up camp north of the border for the last few weeks. A tip off?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Quite a detailed statement from Police Scotland, all things considered.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442

AlistairM said:

glw said:

More likely Trump tries his previous ploy of give me the dirt on Ukraine payments to Biden and you can have F16s

Trump has been quite clear he's on the side of Russia. If Trump wins in 2024 it will almost certainly be with Russian support, as there's no reason for them to now desist from interfering in US elections, and Trump will play ball with Putin afterwards.
    I don't have any time for Trump. However if he was fully on the Russian side, why did he sell Javelins to Ukraine? They along with the NLAWs were a major contributory factor in Russia's failure to take Kyiv.

He did so somewhat reluctantly (then again, Obama's administration was very poor on Ukraine as well)
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/15/trump-resisted-ukraine-sale-javelin-antitank-missile/
    And there were some idiotic constraints:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-leaving-out-key-detail-trump-javelin-sale-to-ukraine-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

Perhaps Trump thought, as the Russians did, that Russia was so stronk that a few NLAWs would not stop the massive pro-Russian uprising that would occur amongst the Ukrainians when Russia invaded.

Remember, many thought that a full-blown invasion would be an immediate win for Russia. The balance of forces would be so greatly in favour of Russia that they would just win. With hindsight, this seems to have ignored the stalemate in the Donbass since 2014.
    The full-scale invasion last February involved nearly 20 times more Russian forces than were involved in the 2014-5 fighting in the Donbas. It wasn't unreasonable for people who didn't have close knowledge of the capabilities of the Ukrainian army to expect that to lead to a rapid Ukrainian defeat
    It was the uniform opinion of the Western expert commentariat that Ukraine would get stomped - that Russia would get to Kyiv and impose a government etc at will. The question was how much of the Ukrainian government would survive - in exile or fighting a guerrilla war in the west of Ukraine.

Hence the surprise when it didn't work out that way - “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.”
  • Options

Leon said:

felix said:

patio?

There's no evidence he's directly involved (yet), but he'll be spending the next few months firefighting and on the defensive over this. If he can move on....well who knows where this ends?
    He’s her man. Entirely. He could actually have a shorter life span than Truss

This is an absolute disaster for the Nats
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

CHORTLE

What, like this one ?

There were others much more cloying. Trust me. I gave myself hernias trying to get to the end of them
    More fool you.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Pulpstar said:

Well the Trump indictment didn't help the GOP in the Wisconsin judge election.

In fact it was a 10% swing since last year's House elections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections_in_Wisconsin

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/04/04/us/elections/results-wisconsin-supreme-court.html

Wisconsin is one of those places that looks like it should... be heading republican too.

Really looks like Biden's election to lose now. I think he will sweep Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin again. Might even gain a cheeky North Carolina.
    Desantis would be a much more formidable opponent.
    The Trump supporters don't want to win.

They want to blame the world and claim they've been cheated.

And nihilistic victimhood isn't attractive to swing voters.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    Leon said:

CHORTLE

If she resigned due to knowing this was on its way then it suggests her resignation had nothing to do with the Gender Recognition Reform Bill and it rather diminishes Sunak's role as, "saviour of the Union."

The damage to the Independence cause from Sturgeon's fall would mostly have been self-inflicted.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Roger said:

Perhaps that explains why SKS has set up camp north of the border for the last few weeks. A tip off?

And everyone thought you such a fan of the Sturgeons for their moral rectitude and probity.. ...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Next question, was there some agreement between the police and the Murrells, not to go in until after the change in leadership?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    It's refreshing amidst political turmoil elsewhere to be reminded that there really are no exceptions to the 'power corrupts and....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

CHORTLE

What, like this one ?

More fool you.
    Yes, probably. But I quite enjoy reading guardian-style ridiculousness. It’s like a hit of caffeine. Wakes me up with angry outrage

And now that outrage is deliciously quintupled with a large dash of amused schadenfreude
  • Options
    Also a major police presence at SNP headquarters in Edinburgh.

https://twitter.com/abtliddle/status/1643538107281686530?s=46
  • Options

AlistairM said:

glw said:

More likely Trump tries his previous ploy of give me the dirt on Ukraine payments to Biden and you can have F16s

Trump has been quite clear he's on the side of Russia. If Trump wins in 2024 it will almost certainly be with Russian support, as there's no reason for them to now desist from interfering in US elections, and Trump will play ball with Putin afterwards.
    I don't have any time for Trump. However if he was fully on the Russian side, why did he sell Javelins to Ukraine? They along with the NLAWs were a major contributory factor in Russia's failure to take Kyiv.

He did so somewhat reluctantly (then again, Obama's administration was very poor on Ukraine as well)
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/15/trump-resisted-ukraine-sale-javelin-antitank-missile/
    https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-leaving-out-key-detail-trump-javelin-sale-to-ukraine-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

Perhaps Trump thought, as the Russians did, that Russia was so stronk that a few NLAWs would not stop the massive pro-Russian uprising that would occur amongst the Ukrainians when Russia invaded.

Remember, many thought that a full-blown invasion would be an immediate win for Russia. The balance of forces would be so greatly in favour of Russia that they would just win. With hindsight, this seems to have ignored the stalemate in the Donbass since 2014.
    The full-scale invasion last February involved nearly 20 times more Russian forces than were involved in the 2014-5 fighting in the Donbas. It wasn't unreasonable for people who didn't have close knowledge of the capabilities of the Ukrainian army to expect that to lead to a rapid Ukrainian defeat
    It was the uniform opinion of the Western expert commentariat that Ukraine would get stomped - that Russia would get to Kyiv and impose a government etc at will. The question was how much of the Ukrainian government would survive - in exile or fighting a guerrilla war in the west of Ukraine.

Hence the surprise when it didn't work out that way - “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.”
    I think there were a couple of dissenting voices - General Ben, perhaps.
  • Options
    What’s the betting angle? SNP to lose at Holyrood?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,419

News: women continue to be paid the same as men for the same work, still find a way to complain about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65179430

I do love the gender pay gap. For people into ideology, but shit at maths. We have more female than male doctors in the NHS now. But because women are so disproportionately more dominant in the nurses area, a comparison of doctors+nurses would conclude there's a gender pay gap because the average male would be paid more (as the doctor minority of men is proportionally larger than the nurse minority of men).

Astonishing people get paid different sums for doing different jobs, men and women get paid the same for the same jobs, and somehow this is shrieked about as sexist and awful.

FFS please try to understand what the gender pay gap is all about. What you complain about every single time is the whole point, to show where men and women are doing different jobs, with men invariably in the better, higher-paying roles.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The astronauts on the International Space Station claim to be able to see Alex Salmond's grin from up there....
  • Options

AlistairM said:

glw said:

It wasn't that big of a surprise to either the US or the UK. There were fortunately as many prepared as were unprepared.

I've posted this before, but really well worth reading in its entirely if you want to understand the lead up to the invasion.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/24/russia-ukraine-war-oral-history-00083757
    For nearly a year prior, U.S. and Western officials had signs of what was coming: a suspicious buildup of Russian troops, intelligence about the Kremlin’s plans, statements from President Vladimir Putin himself. Those officials raised increasingly specific public alarms, some of which were based on a novel new strategy of rapidly declassifying and publicizing intelligence in near real-time, and made desperate attempts to avert a war, even as it became more and more clear that Putin was determined to invade...
  • Options
    If I was Rishi right now, I'd say...sure guys have your referendum in 6months time and see how you go...
  • Options

Leon said:

The SNP are SO fucked

How entertaining. Indy is dead for a generation

All credit to @malcolmg who predicted exactly this for years

Trouble is it's possible to think Sturgeon's old man's a wrong'un and even that the SNP is institutionally corrupt, yet still want independence.
    True, but a large part of the attraction of the SNP - and of independence - is the sense that we in Scotland are more competent and have more integrity than the cabal in Westminster.

That edifice is starting to crumble somewhat.
  • Options

Superb
  • Options

AlistairM said:

glw said:

I think there were a couple of dissenting voices - General Ben, perhaps.
    I don't think that even he was predicting the Russians would be stopped and pushed back to their current position.
  • Options

If I was Rishi right now, I'd say...sure guys have your referendum in 6months time and see how you go...

Hubris old bean.

Hubris.
  • Options
    This really is like the downfall of a mafia
  • Options

That may be to prevent some idiot doing something silly in response. There was a recent incident at Bute House.
  • Options

Hubris old bean.

Hubris.
    Oh I know... but still.. got to enjoy the fun while it lasts.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited April 2023

That strategy worked really well for Call Me Dave...
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited April 2023

News: women continue to be paid the same as men for the same work, still find a way to complain about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65179430

I do love the gender pay gap. For people into ideology, but shit at maths. We have more female than male doctors in the NHS now. But because women are so disproportionately more dominant in the nurses area, a comparison of doctors+nurses would conclude there's a gender pay gap because the average male would be paid more (as the doctor minority of men is proportionally larger than the nurse minority of men).

Astonishing people get paid different sums for doing different jobs, men and women get paid the same for the same jobs, and somehow this is shrieked about as sexist and awful.

Mona Abdelatti, a pilot for Easyjet, said that part of the challenge is more men than women are interested in professions like hers.

Well, exactly.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    Leon said:

felix said:

patio?

Who says Forbes gets out of this in one piece?

When we all thought it was about ideological differences, Forbes was convincing as an anti-Sturgeon.

If it's about money in the party, the fan is more likely to spray the shit much more randomly.

Who knew what when?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited April 2023
    Eabhal said:

That may be to prevent some idiot doing something silly in response. There was a recent incident at Bute House.
    Indeed but found this illuminating in the statement issued by Police Scotland.

Officers are also carrying out searches at a number of addresses as part of the investigation.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

We probably need to understand just how bad it is for them first. But it ain’t looking good.

What I think is clear is that this will once again help scales fall from various eyes in terms of how the Scottish political landscape has worked over the past few years. There has been a tendency in left leaning circles to hold it up as some sort of shining city on the hill among the dark satanic mills of rUK, a progressive and popular government committed to things like EU membership and social justice and run by an impressive, competent leader.

A lot of this has been a mirage for some time. The SNP record in government isn’t that great (beyond winning elections and successfully playing the media game). The danger for them is this is just the most egregious example of people working out the Emperor has no clothes…
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

Eabhal said:

Officers are also carrying out searches at a number of addresses as part of the investigation.
    In the interests of balance shouldn't Police Scotland be arresting key members of SLab. This is a partisan outrage!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    felix said:

Roger said:

And everyone thought you such a fan of the Sturgeons for their moral rectitude and probity.. ...
    You could at least wait for an official arrest and EVEN possibly a trial! I know this is PB but .....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scottish Greens > 10 MSPs.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

kjh said:

Leon said:

@Leon FPT

You benefited from a stable society while growing up, one that provided an education and (for a while) free bed and board courtesy of Her Majesty. Roads, healthcare, rubbish collection, security, etc.

Now that you are a success don’t you have a moral obligation to pay something towards allowing others to enjoy those advantages?

(I’ve known a few people over the years who have chosen the life style you are talking about. They all end up… desiccated)

I’ve paid (literally) millions in tax to the UK Treasury. And I’ll probably pay more as and if and when I return. I’ve never even set up a PLC to legally avoid tax. Think I’ve done my share
    a) It is not a PLC you set up, it is a limited company. A PLC is going somewhat unnecessarily over the top
    b) It is pretty much a myth that a limited company helps you save tax. You just pay different taxes and some of the same taxes in different ways. Very much swings and roundabouts. There are many reasons for setting up a company.
    Technically a PLC s still a limited company. But there's a Private Limited company (LTD) and a Public Limited Company (PLC).
    Don't get me all excited this time in the morning. I'm supposed to be considering the carrying value of an intangible fixed asset (it's impaired - natch - it's always impaired).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    Trying to reconcile her husband being caught with his hand in the till and her being a secret lesbian at the same time.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    deleted
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

@malcolmg vindication is yours.
  • Options

Leon said:

CHORTLE

If she resigned due to knowing this was on its way then it suggests her resignation had nothing to do with the Gender Recognition Reform Bill and it rather diminishes Sunak's role as, "saviour of the Union."

The damage to the Independence cause from Sturgeon's fall would mostly have been self-inflicted.
    She might have been able to weather it without the collapse in political support over the GRR Bill.

They're probably both additive, not either or.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

AlistairM said:

glw said:

Was it? I don't remember many commentators suggesting what would happen. Niall Ferguson was an exception who confidently predicted on the day of the invasion that Russia would win inside weeks and the only question would be what sort of resistance movement would we see in Ukraine. There have been claims that the US government expected a quick victory inside days but that hasn't been confirmed.
  • Options

Looks well coordinated to make sure they get any documents.

• Options
    This might be enough lol for me to forget my toothache for a minute and grab the popcorn.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    "an incident tent in the front garden"

Does someone literally know where the bodies are buried?
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

@Leon FPT

Don't get me all excited this time in the morning. I'm supposed to be considering the carrying value of an intangible fixed asset (it's impaired - natch - it's always impaired).
    I think she's more than impaired at this point.
  • Options
    Must be a real risk Sturgeon herself gets, ahem, collared

And cuffed
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

Eabhal said:

In the interests of balance shouldn't Police Scotland be arresting key members of SLab. This is a partisan outrage!
    If they do the LDs will be demanding to be arrested as well.
  • Options
    This is unprecedented in British political history isn’t it?

A party imploding like this? With police tents in front of the house of the just-departed leader?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

The astronauts on the International Space Station claim to be able to see Alex Salmond's grin from up there....

Isn't it a full moon today?

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,710
    Police have also raided the SNP head office in Edinburgh.

https://twitter.com/Dennynews/status/1643540485460353024?s=20
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    Leon said:

@Leon FPT

Society only stands as long as those with the broadest shoulders do their bit.

There is no “enough”
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

AlistairM said:

glw said:

Indeed, it wasn't unreasonable. And IMV the Ukrainian regime very nearly did collapse - if a few little things had gone differently, then Kyiv could have fallen. But there were signs from the Donbass fighting that all was not well with either Russian forces or their separatist stooges. The same can be said for their intervention in Syria.

It shoes, yet again, that prevailing opinion can be utterly wrong - and that acting against that opinion can lead to large benefits.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

Police have also raided the SNP head office in Edinburgh.

https://twitter.com/Dennynews/status/1643540485460353024?s=20

Merry Christmas Carlotta!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    This thread has been taken into police custody.

And has a tent erected on its lawn.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,419
    New thread.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

Well

Obviously this is great news for Scottish Independence or something.

So now we know why she resigned
  • Options
    Leon said:

A party imploding like this? With police tents in front of the house of the just-departed leader?

Wasn't there some court case involving a former Liberal leader in the 60s or 70s?

Not sure of the details, but I think it had financial impropriety beat.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

glw said:

Was it? I don't remember many commentators suggesting what would happen. Niall Ferguson was an exception who confidently predicted on the day of the invasion that Russia would win inside weeks and the only question would be what sort of resistance movement would we see in Ukraine. There have been claims that the US government expected a quick victory inside days but that hasn't been confirmed.
    At the time, it was generally assumed that Russia would do what it liked. The general belief was that the Ukrainian military was sclerotic and that the Russian military would repeat their effectiveness from 2014.

Where there were differences were in those that thought that Russia was going to Kyiv (as indicated by the build up) and those that thought it would be a much more limited incursion.
  • Options
    Fair question. Why is there a tent to make a simple arrest ?

https://twitter.com/scotpol1314/status/1643538379642904577?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options
    Taz said:

Fair question. Why is there a tent to make a simple arrest ?

https://twitter.com/scotpol1314/status/1643538379642904577?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

1) Hiding what is being removed from the house, and indeed all the police activity from the press?
    2) Staging area for material being removed from the house to be catalogued and boxed up before being loaded onto the vans?
  • Options

AlistairM said:

glw said:

At the time, it was generally assumed that Russia would do what it liked. The general belief was that the Ukrainian military was sclerotic and that the Russian military would repeat their effectiveness from 2014.

Where there were differences were in those that thought that Russia was going to Kyiv (as indicated by the build up) and those that thought it would be a much more limited incursion.
    I don't think it was so much that people thought that the Ukrainian military was sclerotic as too small, way outgunned, and that the Russians knew how to use their fancier equipment.

Therefore Russian air superiority, Ukrainian conventional forces destroyed from the air, and the country overrun. Instead we had the Russians using 1960s maps to choose targets for their precision missiles, and poorly-trained Russian units with no idea of what they were doing. The Russians were a lot more incompetent then anyone imagined, and the Ukrainians were very effective.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

glw said:

I don't think it was so much that people thought that the Ukrainian military was sclerotic as too small, way outgunned, and that the Russians knew how to use their fancier equipment.

Therefore Russian air superiority, Ukrainian conventional forces destroyed from the air, and the country overrun. Instead we had the Russians using 1960s maps to choose targets for their precision missiles, and poorly-trained Russian units with no idea of what they were doing. The Russians were a lot more incompetent then anyone imagined, and the Ukrainians were very effective.
    The lesson that people were taking from 2014 was that the Ukrainians were going by their old, soviet books. Setting up artillery positions slowly and having them hammered by Russian counter batteries - for example. Because the Russians had adapted to faster tempo warfare.

The adaptiveness and flexibility of the Ukrainians was beyond anything expected, and the Russians seemed to have gone back to Afghanistan in ineffectiveness.
  • Options

Leon said:

Wasn't there some court case involving a former Liberal leader in the 60s or 70s?

Not sure of the details, but I think it had financial impropriety beat.
    RIP Rinka.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

I wonder what Putin thinks his way out now is?
    Just keep feeding Russian youth to the meat grinder until the country collapses?
    Nukes?
    Something else?

Putin's destroyed Russia. Took a while, but he's completely wrecked his country and now can't back down as he knows he'll fall out a window the second he tried. Instead it's just a hope that the next 'offensive' will win big and he'll take Kyiv and Zelensky will flee (etc).
  • Options

Just keep feeding Russian youth to the meat grinder until the country collapses?
    Nukes?
    Something else?

Putin's destroyed Russia. Took a while, but he's completely wrecked his country and now can't back down as he knows he'll fall out a window the second he tried. Instead it's just a hope that the next 'offensive' will win big and he'll take Kyiv and Zelensky will flee (etc).
    Its a mess.

The only upside is a commitment (from the Ukrainians I know) to Ukraine as a social democracy. The thing that comes across quite strongly is that they don't want to go back to system of oligarchs. And that when peace comes, there will be lot of people with no fear of death wanting that changed continued and built upon.
  • Options

Nukes?
    Something else?

If the US stops sending ammunition Ukraine will be in serious trouble within a fairly short period. In the absence of major military hardware supplies from China it is Putin's only route to victory.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Leon said:

The houses of the Camorra and Ndrangheta gangsters in Naples and Calabria are as anonymous as it gets. Dingy concrete boxes. Just sayin’
    They supposedly have 5M portfolio of properties.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The SNP are SO fucked

How entertaining. Indy is dead for a generation

All credit to @malcolmg who predicted exactly this for years

Yabba Dabba Doo, one down with plenty left who could follow. Been busy this morning and missed it.
  • Options
    Saint Jacinda seems to have disappeared up her own arsehole in her closing address.

Shame we didn't have Jarvis Cocker to walk on stage and waft the smell away this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-65186368
  • Options

Suddenly this toothache isn’t as painful as it was 20 mins ago.

Thank you Police Scotland.

Coincidence that it only happened after the CC and FM resigned , given it has been on the go for almost 2 years. He visited Holyrood and allegedly never met her and then a week or so later both go.
This discussion has been closed.