Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters don’t think Corbyn will be an MP after the next election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited April 2023 in General
imagePunters don’t think Corbyn will be an MP after the next election – politicalbetting.com

Earlier in the month it will be recalled Keir Starmer ruled that Corbyn should not be a LAB candidate at the next general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited March 2023
    Good.

It will be a great day when Corbyn is no longer an MP.
  • Options
    Oooh, was that a first?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    If he stands and loses he gets a big payoff, right?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,294
    Driver said:

His motivation surely is not monetary.
  • Options
    Are we saying that Hamas coming out door knocking will put people off?
  • Options
    EmeraldEmerald Posts: 55
    Does it really matter anyway. Corbyn is a busted flush.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    edited March 2023
    On the most recent footage I've seen of him he looks pretty frail - although that to some extent could always have been said of him. I don't think he's likely to do anything really. However the Mayoral race is the obvious target if he does - far more so than his Islingnton seat.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    mandy rhodes@holyroodmandy
    An @theSNP backbench increasingly one of all the talents…
    https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1641152113827799040
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774

Oooh, was that a first?

No, I think you've done that insider posting many times before.
  • Options
    fpt
    TOPPING said:

I don't want to trigger @Leon but the Old Vic is woke as fuck.

The new Soho Place theatre performance of As You Like It that I saw was wonderfully woke

There were trans and non-binary actors (they're all that now, right?) (except the ones that want to be called actresses), some of them playing the cross-dressing parts. They were all very good

None of them quite as good as Rose Ayling-Ellis, whose energetic performance was quite compelling

The show was stolen from her, though, by Hollywood

Martha Plimpton was just exceptional as Jacques
  • Options
    A “gambling berserk” millionaire who lost more than £100,000 in a betting spree is suing a “luxury” bookmaker for allegedly failing to protect him from his addiction.

Scott O’Brien earned a fortune through a recycling business, but told a judge that he had been obsessed with “dark and destructive” gambling throughout adulthood.

He claimed that the addiction had once driven him to attempt suicide, in a legal claim that comes just days after regulators hit the UK’s biggest bookmaker with a record fine. The Gambling Commission ordered William Hill to pay £19.2 million because of a series of “widespread and alarming” failures to protect customers from substantial losses.

In O’Brien’s case, the former businessman has told a court that his gambling habit worsened after he sold his Essex-based paper recycling business, Pulp Friction, for £9 million in 2012. At one point he stashed £1 million in cash at the bottom of his wardrobe.

He is suing Star Sports after wagering more than £400,000 at the company’s main betting shop in Mayfair, west London.

The businessman, 54, told the hearing that he lost £48,859 on dog and horse racing, and that gambling on betting terminals took his losses to more than £100,000.

In a claim to have his money returned, the gambler’s lawyers say the company breached its duty to act in accordance with its “social responsibility code provisions”. They have told the court that some of O’Brien’s losses “were due to Star Sports’ failure to comply with the [code] applicable to its operating licence”.

O’Brien is also suing the bookmakers for breach of contract.

Star Sports is contesting the claim, with the company’s lawyers denying that the wealthy punter revealed that he had a problem. They insisted that “there is no general duty of care on a bookmaker to protect a gambling addict from the consequences of his addiction”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/destructive-gambler-sues-star-sports-bookmaker-over-100-000-loss-tf552chnr
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Has anyone posted this yet? Lib Dem local election launch:

https://twitter.com/HenryRiley1/status/1641015393576730629
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

A “gambling berserk” millionaire who lost more than £100,000 in a betting spree is suing a “luxury” bookmaker for allegedly failing to protect him from his addiction.

Scott O’Brien earned a fortune through a recycling business, but told a judge that he had been obsessed with “dark and destructive” gambling throughout adulthood.

He claimed that the addiction had once driven him to attempt suicide, in a legal claim that comes just days after regulators hit the UK’s biggest bookmaker with a record fine. The Gambling Commission ordered William Hill to pay £19.2 million because of a series of “widespread and alarming” failures to protect customers from substantial losses.

In O’Brien’s case, the former businessman has told a court that his gambling habit worsened after he sold his Essex-based paper recycling business, Pulp Friction, for £9 million in 2012. At one point he stashed £1 million in cash at the bottom of his wardrobe.

He is suing Star Sports after wagering more than £400,000 at the company’s main betting shop in Mayfair, west London.

The businessman, 54, told the hearing that he lost £48,859 on dog and horse racing, and that gambling on betting terminals took his losses to more than £100,000.

In a claim to have his money returned, the gambler’s lawyers say the company breached its duty to act in accordance with its “social responsibility code provisions”. They have told the court that some of O’Brien’s losses “were due to Star Sports’ failure to comply with the [code] applicable to its operating licence”.

Star Sports is contesting the claim, with the company’s lawyers denying that the wealthy punter revealed that he had a problem. They insisted that “there is no general duty of care on a bookmaker to protect a gambling addict from the consequences of his addiction”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/destructive-gambler-sues-star-sports-bookmaker-over-100-000-loss-tf552chnr

He has £10mn and is suing a bookmaker for £100k because he couldn't control himself? What size violin should we be using for this sob story?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Ouch!
    Iain Macwhirter in The Spectator - Is Humza Yousaf destined for Liz Truss’s fate?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-humza-yousaf-destined-for-liz-trusss-fate/

"As Kate Forbes settles down next to Nicola Sturgeon on the Holyrood backbenches today she has cause to be well satisfied. From a standing start she won nearly half the SNP votes even though the party machine and the payroll vote of ministers and elected members were ranged against her. Her honesty and clarity of thought shone through the hustings fog. She can now sit back and enjoy the show as Humza Yousaf does his best to emulate Liz Truss. Forbes is now the leader in waiting."
  • Options
    Omnium said:

On the most recent footage I've seen of him he looks pretty frail - although that to some extent could always have been said of him. I don't think he's likely to do anything really. However the Mayoral race is the obvious target if he does - far more so than his Islingnton seat.

He's not going to be Mayor of London. Livingstone had been reasonably popular as GLC leader before Thatcher axed it, he was energetic back in 2000, and there was a Dick Whittington thing going on, and a Mr London thing. Even then, people tired of it after a while and he lost a basically red city twice.

Corbyn is now an elderly crank who is actually far more interested in Bolivian tin miners (or whatever it is now) than London. I'm sure he'd attract a crowd and run it reasonably close in his own seat. But he's not really a runner at the London wide level - a Labour mayoral candidate needs to keep it competitive in Bromley, Enfield, Kingston... even in Golders Green.

I'm more sceptical about Mayor than MP for JC.
  • Options
    RobD said:

He has £10mn and is suing a bookmaker for £100k because he couldn't control himself? What size violin should we be using for this sob story?
    Isn't that just the usual legal fee? You could make 1% of your fees - go legal!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    RobD said:

A small one. But the guy does get a bonus point for the recycling business name "Pulp Friction".
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. Debate programme in Russia where a couple of commentators are saying they need to end their "adventure" in Ukraine. Of course, they are shouted down by others, but revealing that this is being spoken about now.

Meanwhile in Russia: sane voices who say that Putin's military adventure should be put to an end ASAP are contradicted by rabid propagandists who allege that both the military might and the unity of the Western countries exist only on paper.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1640913235334266880
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

fpt

TOPPING said:

The new Soho Place theatre performance of As You Like It that I saw was wonderfully woke

There were trans and non-binary actors (they're all that now, right?) (except the ones that want to be called actresses), some of them playing the cross-dressing parts. They were all very good

None of them quite as good as Rose Ayling-Ellis, whose energetic performance was quite compelling

It is a great production, we took the kids and we all really enjoyed it, although the night was marred somewhat by my wife's phone getting lifted in Five Guys beforehand.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    AlistairM said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. Debate programme in Russia where a couple of commentators are saying they need to end their "adventure" in Ukraine. Of course, they are shouted down by others, but revealing that this is being spoken about now.

Meanwhile in Russia: sane voices who say that Putin's military adventure should be put to an end ASAP are contradicted by rabid propagandists who allege that both the military might and the unity of the Western countries exist only on paper.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1640913235334266880

It has been alleged that is the way some of the Russian media work: they put someone on to say what many of the audience are thinking (e.g. that the war s stupid and should be stopped), then get the other commentators to bash that view and belittle the person who said it. By extension, the audience who agreed with that view are also belittled.
  • Options

Omnium said:

He's not going to be Mayor of London. Livingstone had been reasonably popular as GLC leader before Thatcher axed it, he was energetic back in 2000, and there was a Dick Whittington thing going on, and a Mr London thing. Even then, people tired of it after a while and he lost a basically red city twice.

Corbyn is now an elderly crank who is actually far more interested in Bolivian tin miners (or whatever it is now) than London. I'm sure he'd attract a crowd and run it reasonably close in his own seat. But he's not really a runner at the London wide level - a Labour mayoral candidate needs to keep it competitive in Bromley, Enfield, Kingston... even in Golders Green.

I refer you to the case of Ken Livingstone. I don't know he'll run for mayor, but it's his best angle. In Islington North he's going to be fighting against a concentracted attack. A Mayoral run will allow him to be beardy all over the place.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Not big. Loss of office payment is two months' salary. Worth it for a handful of MPs in precarious circumstances, but not worth the humiliation for people like Corbyn. He'll stand if he thinks he's got a good chance of winning, and not otherwise.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    The Julian Knight story is bizarre.

I said at the time he had the whip suspended, if I was to rank all the Tory MPs in order of likelihood/believability of sexual assault allegations, I’d have Knight low down on the list.

I don’t share his politics, but can’t help but feel he has been treated rather unfairly.

Any opinions, PBers?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I refer you to the case of Ken Livingstone. I don't know he'll run for mayor, but it's his best angle. In Islington North he's going to be fighting against a concentracted attack. A Mayoral run will allow him to be beardy all over the place.
    I literally explained in my post why he's no Livingstone.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Ouch!
    Iain Macwhirter in The Spectator - Is Humza Yousaf destined for Liz Truss’s fate?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-humza-yousaf-destined-for-liz-trusss-fate/

"As Kate Forbes settles down next to Nicola Sturgeon on the Holyrood backbenches today she has cause to be well satisfied. From a standing start she won nearly half the SNP votes even though the party machine and the payroll vote of ministers and elected members were ranged against her. Her honesty and clarity of thought shone through the hustings fog. She can now sit back and enjoy the show as Humza Yousaf does his best to emulate Liz Truss. Forbes is now the leader in waiting."

Would be funny to watch! Ultimately he represents just over half of the party membership, yet appears to think he can just discard them.

The real oddity for me is that he has appointed a minister for NHS Recovery. He was Health Minister until yesterday, so if recovery is needed* isn't that his fault?

*spoiler alert - it is needed.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    edited March 2023
    FPT: That HMP Berwyn scandal reminds me of similar scandals in the US. One, in Baltimore, was a big enough scandal to draw this suggestion from a state senator (whose name I have forgotten): Prisons for men should only employ men, and ugly men at that.

She is black, and represented a safe district, so she could get away with such practical advice.

(Don't know whether such sex discrimination would be legal in Maryland. Probably not. But it's still a good idea.)
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I know - and I'm sure you need to look again.
  • Options
    I do hope that Jezbollah does run again for election. As MP, as Mayor, whatever. Because doing so will flush out all of the cranks. Who will make a virtue of finger jabbing, of dodgy arithmetic regarding the 2017 general election, and of how anti-semitism was just made up and anyway how will YOU apologise for Israel?

Please let him run one last time. We need the entertainment.
  • Options

RobD said:

A small one. But the guy does get a bonus point for the recycling business name "Pulp Friction".
    I thought that was a pun fail, to be honest. I mean, "pulp friction" isn't a thing, is it? He's just taken the name of a film and added a letter to prevent being sued... but it's meaningless.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    edited March 2023
    The irony is Corbyn first won the seat in 1983 and beat into fourth the previous Labour MP who stood as an Independent.

Will history repeat in 2024?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited March 2023

Bet you £500 at even money that he loses his case.

(I reserve the right to sue you for feeding my gambling addiction if I lose)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Maybe Jezza will do a Ken Livingstone and stand for London Mayor as an independent at the next Mayoral election?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,885
    stodge said:

The irony is Corbyn first won the seat in 1983 and beat into fourth the previous Labour MP who stood as an Independent.

Will history repeat in 2024?

No

The previous MP having left Labour could not even get the nomination for his new Party, but stood anyway.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium clearly didn't spot your Livingstone, I presume?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    ping said:

The Julian Knight story is bizarre.

I said at the time he had the whip suspended, if I was to rank all the Tory MPs in order of likelihood/believability of sexual assault allegations, I’d have Knight low down on the list.

I don’t share his politics, but can’t help but feel he has been treated rather unfairly.

Any opinions, PBers?

From what I can see, his notable supporters since the police investigation was dropped are;

1. Harvey Procter.
    2. A single local outspoken tory councillor.

Silence from all the other councillors / local tories / local & national tory MP’s.

He’s being hung out to dry. Politics is brutal, init?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008

I do hope that Jezbollah does run again for election. As MP, as Mayor, whatever. Because doing so will flush out all of the cranks. Who will make a virtue of finger jabbing, of dodgy arithmetic regarding the 2017 general election, and of how anti-semitism was just made up and anyway how will YOU apologise for Israel?

Anyone who backs his campaign will be instantly expelled from Labour. So yes, I think SKS will want him to run as an independent even if it means losing the seat (and I don’t actually think it will). It would be a great opportunity to flush out all the fellow travellers, and flush them down.
  • Options
    A bit of a cheap shot getting rid of Corbyn. It's not a Clause 4 moment and kicking a septuagenarian when he's down isn't cool
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    edited March 2023
    Not impossible Corbyn could win, Dave Nellist nearly won his old seat of Coventry South East in 1992 when Kinnock
    expelled him from Labour for his Militant links and Corbyn is a longer serving MP for Islington North and better known as a former party leader than he was
  • Options
    Roger said:

A bit of a cheap shot getting rid of Corbyn. It's not a Clause 4 moment and kicking a septuagenarian when he's down isn't cool

Corbyn enabled both Johnson and Brexit. He absolutely deserves whatever’s coming too him.
  • Options

fpt

TOPPING said:

It is a great production, we took the kids and we all really enjoyed it, although the night was marred somewhat by my wife's phone getting lifted in Five Guys beforehand.
    Sorry to hear about that

But delighted to learn that you seem to have enjoyed the show as much as I did

I was really surprised by how many people I saw signing in the audience before the show

Then I saw the show, and I wanted to be one of the people who could sign to the no-audio-ence
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    Roger said:

Yeah, I agree. If Blair can put up with him, why not Starmer?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894

Roger said:

Corbyn enabled both Johnson and Brexit. He absolutely deserves whatever’s coming too him.
    We could never have done it without him :D
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    Lovely that these lads have been rendered speechless* by this multicultural moment.

*if fucking only.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,307
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Yeah, I agree. If Blair can put up with him, why not Starmer?
    Back in the day we hadn't realised that Corbyn was so ridiculously malign and stupid that he couldn't tell the difference between Benjamin Netanyahu and Luciana Berger. Now we know.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,696

I thought the key recovery principle was to take responsibility for your actions.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,885

Roger said:

Of course he did
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,696
    I'm slightly interested in why Mr Starmer is leaving the other nutters alone.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    fitalass said:

Ouch!

Interesting. It seems to me that we have the dullest set of party leaders (UK, Scotland, Wales) in recent memory. Forbes would have been a bright star in that particularly dim firmament. The SNP have missed an opportunity to have a very different image, with a broader centrist policy

So while, I think and hope, the public have settled on a Labour led coalition/cobbling together/supply in 2024 there is no sense of excitement about either the leading actors or the potential policies.

BTW in the rural north of England/Scottish borders there are quite a few people who think she is marvellous and speaks for their values but that her first concern should be to look after the baby rather than running a country. (Cue howls of derision from urbanites).
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    MattW said:

I thought the key recovery principle was to take responsibility for your actions.
    Indeed.

My very long shots on horses keep on unseating rider, falling at fences and being pulled up. Who should I sue?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    I think Corbyn will stand again because it's his life and he's dogged.

I think he'll win because he's a good constituency MP and his electors are also dogged.

What odds can I get on him winning his seat?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,307
    MattW said:

He can't do anything about JRM or Nadine. Different party!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Lovely that these lads have been rendered speechless* by this multicultural moment.

*if fucking only.

Crivvens, help ma boab, the comments are quite something on that tweet.
  • Options

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:
    27 March, 2023 at 2:57 pm
    and the cops say : nothing to see here, move along …

I mean, it could work out. I, for one, salute our new islamic overlord, FM is too paltry a title, make him Caliph

now all he has to do is :

declare the UNION to be absolutely HARAM

make the ENGLISH all KUFFARS

and make the YES Movement a NATIONAL JIHAD

and … we’re fucking done.

If it had to be a muslim, I would have preferred IMRAN KHAN – he has been trying to clean up Pakistan, rid it of the globalist scum and spooks, but it’s clear he is going to get shot, maybe very soon; at least our cricket team would improve.

– you have to go with the flow.'
    https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-hollow-crown/
  • Options

Roger said:

I agree with your first sentence and for enabling Johnson and Brexit he should burn in hellfire but this is about Starmer. For a new and compassionate Labour leader this looks vindictive
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

I mean, it could work out. I, for one, salute our new islamic overlord, FM is too paltry a title, make him Caliph

If it had to be a muslim, I would have preferred IMRAN KHAN – he has been trying to clean up Pakistan, rid it of the globalist scum and spooks, but it’s clear he is going to get shot, maybe very soon; at least our cricket team would improve.

There are still a lot of racists in our countries. Perhaps only a few percent, but could be the difference for Sunak too.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

That's not by a Scot*. There is one very big clue there, but you are obviously unwilling to spot it.

*Or at leastd someone who primarily identifies as one.

You should have a look at the tweet itself. Lots of UJ types like you there.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I think he'll win because he's a good constituency MP and his electors are also dogged.

We don’t know if he’ll stand yet. fwiw, while he’s undoubtedly popular in Islington North, I think a lot of those who do like him personally will still see the bigger picture which decrees his expulsion to have been necessary. And in the end they’ll vote for the official Labour candidate.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

That's not by a Scot*. There is one very big clue there, but you are obviously unwilling to spot it.

Of course it is from a Scot, it is from a website that is Scottish Independence central.

The fact he others the English confirms it
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Of course it is from a Scot, it is from a website that is Scottish Independence central
    Anyone can post there. I mean, they let you post on here. And you are always going on about declaring the SNP traitors and so on.

Just read it again.

"our cricket team".

Where did you ever see a Scot complaining about his national cricket team?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Barnesian said:

We don’t know if he’ll stand yet. fwiw, while he’s undoubtedly popular in Islington North, I think a lot of those who do like him personally will still see the bigger picture which decrees his expulsion to have been necessary. And in the end they’ll vote for the official Labour candidate.
    We disagree on that. I've put £50 up on smarkets at 2/1 that he'll stand and win if you are interested.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    algarkirk said:

fitalass said:

Ouch!

Interesting. It seems to me that we have the dullest set of party leaders (UK, Scotland, Wales) in recent memory. Forbes would have been a bright star in that particularly dim firmament. The SNP have missed an opportunity to have a very different image, with a broader centrist policy

So while, I think and hope, the public have settled on a Labour led coalition/cobbling together/supply in 2024 there is no sense of excitement about either the leading actors or the potential policies.

BTW in the rural north of England/Scottish borders there are quite a few people who think she is marvellous and speaks for their values but that her first concern should be to look after the baby rather than running a country. (Cue howls of derision from urbanites).
    It wouldn't be a broader centrist policy. Every Indy kid who voted SNP would go straight into the arms of the Greens or Labour. The youth vote for a government with hangups about gay marriage is just not there. And that's a fair share of the SNP vote.
  • Options
    The great Humza Yousaf

After having an affair Yousef blamed his wife for not being a good enough Muslim. When there was no place at a nursery for his daughter, he arranged a sting operation that attempted to prove that the nursery was racist. "What sort of person does this?"

https://twitter.com/HousewifePolish/status/1641034656165289987?s=20

• Options
    EPG said:

algarkirk said:

fitalass said:

Ouch!

It wouldn't be a broader centrist policy. Every Indy kid who voted SNP would go straight into the arms of the Greens or Labour. The youth vote for a government with hangups about gay marriage is just not there. And that's a fair share of the SNP vote.
    Greens, not Labour: not under SKS.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I agree with your first sentence and for enabling Johnson and Brexit he should burn in hellfire but this is about Starmer. For a new and compassionate Labour leader this looks vindictive
    If it's about Sir Keir we need to acknowledge that he enabled Boris at least as much as Corbyn did.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,901
    Nothing seems to change in Islington North, because when Corbyn was first elected in 1983 he was standing against two other sitting MPs who both used to be Labour until a couple of years earlier.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

We disagree on that. I've put £50 up on smarkets at 2/1 that he'll stand and win if you are interested.
    I rarely bet, actually, and when I do it’s generally at long odds where I see more of a possibility than the oddsmakers. But thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Of course it is from a Scot, it is from a website that is Scottish Independence central
    Anyone can post there. I mean, they let you post on here. And you are always going on about declaring the SNP traitors and so on.

Just read it again.

"our cricket team".

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12726169/t20-world-cup-scotland-knocked-out-after-defeat-to-zimbabwe
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There are still a lot of racists in our countries. Perhaps only a few percent, but could be the difference for Sunak too.
    Because of political correctness difficult to tell how many racists there are. But I would estimate about 10% of the electorate with a further 20-30% uncomfortable with forced diversity without necessarily being racist. The sort of people who may mention in passing "Im a bit uncomfortable with all the heads of Govt of ethnic origin at present".
  • Options

If he'd won most of his bets, would he have given the money back, or kept it for himself?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Just read it again.

"our cricket team".

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12726169/t20-world-cup-scotland-knocked-out-after-defeat-to-zimbabwe
    You only know about it because you looked it up on google! I've never heard anyone even mention it in real life. Let alone take it seriously enpugh to make a comment remotely like that.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Good evening all. After TPE surprisingly provided a train running on time to get me to Manchester this morning, they are back on form this evening with the train sitting in Man Vic for half an hour waiting for a crew member to turn up. Plan B (Northern) getting me out of a hole once again.

Meanwhile, today I started "mentoring" two of my young, female colleagues. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There was a clear movement from Conservative to ReFuk when Sunak took over.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Blimey…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-65086107

One of Scotland's main police control rooms used a fake system to manipulate response time targets for eight years, according to documents seen by the BBC.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Because of political correctness difficult to tell how many racists there are. But I would estimate about 10% of the electorate with a further 20-30% uncomfortable with forced diversity without necessarily being racist. The sort of people who may mention in passing "Im a bit uncomfortable with all the heads of Govt of ethnic origin at present".
    23% across the UK and 22% of Scots (albeit only 20% of Londoners) did not see the attack on Finsbury Park mosque as terrorism

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/survey-results/daily/2017/06/19/6bfe0/2
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Yes, I noticed that too.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,518
    MattW said:

Because he needs a shadow cabinet?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,549

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

It's possible that it was growth-minded libertarians distraught at the release of the Truss... oh who am I kidding?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Blimey…

One of Scotland's main police control rooms used a fake system to manipulate response time targets for eight years, according to documents seen by the BBC.

Yes, yet another example of the need for a root and branch overhaul of the Police.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

It's possible that it was growth-minded libertarians distraught at the release of the Truss... oh who am I kidding?
    I have noticed locally the most hardened Brexiteers who joined the party under Boris have now gone RefUK, albeit we have a few more British Indian activists
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,518

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Nice smear - conveniently forgets that the right of the party wanted Badenoch.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

I have noticed locally the most hardened Brexiteers who joined the party under Boris have now gone RefUK, albeit we have a few more British Indian activists
    Watch out for BJP entryists!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Yes, it works both ways, there are some British Indians switching to Con for the same reason.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

23% across the UK and 22% of Scots (albeit only 20% of Londoners) did not see the attack on Finsbury Park mosque as terrorism

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/survey-results/daily/2017/06/19/6bfe0/2
    The trouble with that sujrvey question is that the media have spent so long explaining away lone white wolves as nutters, one offs, i.e. mental illness. (Which it may well be, in part, anyway, whatever else it is and whomsoever it is that they attack.)

Edit: in media discourse "terrorists" are organised groups.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2023
    Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Because of political correctness difficult to tell how many racists there are.
    I don't think that's the main problem. It's an incredibly vague term, as well as a term of abuse, and reasonable people can have widely different ideas about what it means in practice. For example, is the statement "violent criminals in this country are disproportionately black" racist or not? When white people face discrimination because of the colour of their skin, is that racist? Are job quotas favouring minority ethnicities racist? What is "institutional racism" and does it exist without explicit discriminatory rules, or is racism just a personal issue? All these questions I've seen argued from both sides.

• Options
    Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There are probably fewer racists in the UK than any other country in the world (using percentages).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There are probably fewer racists in the UK than any other country in the world (using percentages).
    I don't know about "any country in the world" but it is a number greater than zero.

How it balances with British Indians switching the other way for similar reasons is a guess.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2023

Roger said:

He had help in enabing Brexit, mostly from his Shadow Brexit Secretary, and self-proclaimed friend, whose name escapes me for the moment.

What was his name again?
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151
    I thought 51.89% of the voters were racist according to the Remainers on here
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited March 2023
    vino said:

Which ‘Remainer’ said that?
    I believe 99% of racists voted leave is the usual view.
  • Options
    "Elon Musk and experts say AI development should be paused immediately

The letter, signed by more than 1,000 people, warned of potential risks to society and civilisation by human-competitive AI systems in the form of economic and political disruptions."

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-and-others-sign-open-letter-calling-for-pause-on-ai-development-12845039
  • Options

vino said:

I wouldn't think as high as that. While only a minority of Leave voters were racist, I suspect that Leave won most of the racist vote.
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151

vino said:

that's a fair point
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    HYUFD said:

Not impossible Corbyn could win, Dave Nellist nearly won his old seat of Coventry South East in 1992 when Kinnock
    expelled him from Labour for his Militant links and Corbyn is a longer serving MP for Islington North and better known as a former party leader than he was

My Labour leaning friend who lives in the seat doesn’t think he will win, if he stands. Yes, he’s a hard working local MP, but the core middle class support in his seat are well aware of the wider picture and she reckons they will conclude his time is up.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,513
    RobD said:

Serendipity means this week's Star Sports (as in the story) Betting People interview is with a solicitor who specialises in gambling cases. You can skip part 1, and part 4 won't be up till tomorrow morning.
    https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/bettingpeople-harry-stewart-moore/
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

I wonder whether he would join the Greens, and, if so, whether he would win?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Andy_JS said:

The letter, signed by more than 1,000 people, warned of potential risks to society and civilisation by human-competitive AI systems in the form of economic and political disruptions."

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-and-others-sign-open-letter-calling-for-pause-on-ai-development-12845039

If 1,000 people sign a letter saying that shit social media websites have plenty of potential risks to society in the form of political disruptions, and their usage and development should be paused is he going to pay any sort of attention?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The genie is out of the bottle.

I for one welcome the rule of our robot overlords.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,513

tlg86 said:

Blimey…

Yes, yet another example of the need for a root and branch overhaul of the Police.
    Did they not have that in Scotland? Certainly all their police forces were combined into Police Scotland.
    https://www.scotland.police.uk/

(It is mildly interesting they have a .uk domain address rather than a .scot one but perhaps I have missed it.)
This discussion has been closed.