Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The “deal” getting a good response so far – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Today also gives Sir Keir Starmer the opportunity, if he becomes Prime Minister, to unpick the wider Brexit deal to make it better.

Sunak has created a great estoppel by convention for second referendum backer Starmer.

Absolutely spot on TSE. Today is a key moment in UK politics, for the signal it sends imminent incoming Labour government and other silent remainers - having two stabs at it, the Tories still accept ECJ having the final say.
    Reread clause 63 above.

I've helpfully bolded the key passage for you.
    It’s not a break though is it. A break is something you giving someone so if they pull it something stops. To the DUP this is not set up as a break for them, you concede.

I agree with you they are not keen on returning to power sharing for other reasons.
    FFS why is everyone misspelling 'brake?'

And yes, it is a brake, just one they can't apply as a sole party because they would misuse it. It doesn't say it has to represent both communities, just two parties.
    In fairness to Moon.
    She's said before that she dictates through speech recognition.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    WillG said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Today also gives Sir Keir Starmer the opportunity, if he becomes Prime Minister, to unpick the wider Brexit deal to make it better.

Sunak has created a great estoppel by convention for second referendum backer Starmer.

Absolutely spot on TSE. Today is a key moment in UK politics, for the signal it sends imminent incoming Labour government and other silent remainers - having two stabs at it, the Tories still accept ECJ having the final say.
    Reread clause 63 above.

It’s not a break though is it. A break is something you giving someone so if they pull it something stops. To the DUP this is not set up as a break for them, you concede.

I agree with you they are not keen on returning to power sharing for other reasons.

And yes, it is a brake, just one they can't apply as a sole party because they would misuse it. It doesn't say it has to represent both communities, just two parties.
    I started it, so apologies.
    Your misspelling of brake came near to breaking me!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Deltapoll
    @DeltapollUK
    🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Labour lead is fifteen points in latest results from Deltapoll.
    Con 31% (+3)
    Lab 46% (-4)
    Lib Dem 8% (-1)
    Other 15% (+3)
    Fieldwork: 24th - 27th February
    Sample: 1,060 GB adults
    (Changes from 17th - 20th February 2023)

https://twitter.com/DeltapollUK/status/1630257181097353217?cxt=HHwWgoCzvZmR658tAAAA

Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide!
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    nico679 said:

Great interview with Steve Baker on Channel 4 News .

Clearly making the point that you have to have some EU law in NI to keep the border open and essentially it’s a price worth paying .

It's 3% of EU law, so equivalent of impact to an FTA. And, like an FTA, it isn't dynamic, as NI can examine every additional law and veto it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited February 2023
    MaxPB said:

Johnson's awful NIP says Big G.

He supported it at the time.

It was preferable to a No Deal, is about all that can be said about it, while noting that Boris actually set much of the timescale and laid the tracks toward a No Deal.
    It also laid the pathway to this deal by binding the EU to a trusted trader scheme, essentially the green and red channels we have in the Windsor deal that removes checks for 97% of goods. Again, the May deal didn't have that in there and neither did it have A16. Both of those were at play over the last year while this deal was being hammered out.

The EU's refusal to implement the trusted trader scheme gave the UK legal grounds to pull the A16 trigger and that is why the negotiations started, the subsequent war in Ukraine, the energy crisis and other events which have shown we were better working together has solidified that resolve on both sides and Rishi being a more reliable partner who wouldn't brief the Telegraph the day after trashing the agreed deal all fed into the current deal on the table but it was A16 and the EU's blanket refusal to implement the agreed deal that kicked it all off.

The May withdrawal agreement had neither of those, what would have brought the EU to the negotiating table?
    The EU never left the negotiating table under this counter-factual.

I think you overweight A16 (which ultras actually decided was insufficient hence the abrogation bill) and underweight the “facts on the ground” and overall realpolitik as sources of leverage.

Boris was a costly and confidence-eroding interregnum. There’s no evidence apart from conjecture that the NIP has delivered a better ultimate outcome, albeit we can certainly count the hit to trade.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It was preferable to a No Deal, is about all that can be said about it, while noting that Boris actually set much of the timescale and laid the tracks toward a No Deal.
    At the time it was as you say better than a no deal but I doubt anyone understood how bad it was before Sunak spoke about it at the dispatch box today

If we are talking of supporting something at the time @CorrectHorseBattery wholly endorsed Corbyn for PM and since has had a damascine conversion to Starmer
    Just possibly, perhaps you’re not the best person to go pointing the fingers at others’ u-turns? ;)
    I have had many change of minds over decades in politics and accept them and it is fair to draw a comparison with others who have also changed their minds
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

WillG said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Reread clause 63 above.

I started it, so apologies.
    Your misspelling of brake came near to breaking me!
    Sorry, I went for broke.
  • Options
    This day/deal gets better and better.

Sunak committing unambiguously to the ECHR is entailed in today's 'choose cooperation after Brexit' strategy.

If left the ECHR, he has no UK-EU relationship, and would deeply damage any working relationship with Macron or Biden

This has implications for his immigration policy

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1630304053220503559
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

It also laid the pathway to this deal by binding the EU to a trusted trader scheme, essentially the green and red channels we have in the Windsor deal that removes checks for 97% of goods. Again, the May deal didn't have that in there and neither did it have A16. Both of those were at play over the last year while this deal was being hammered out.

The EU's refusal to implement the trusted trader scheme gave the UK legal grounds to pull the A16 trigger and that is why the negotiations started, the subsequent war in Ukraine, the energy crisis and other events which have shown we were better working together has solidified that resolve on both sides and Rishi being a more reliable partner who wouldn't brief the Telegraph the day after trashing the agreed deal all fed into the current deal on the table but it was A16 and the EU's blanket refusal to implement the agreed deal that kicked it all off.

The May withdrawal agreement had neither of those, what would have brought the EU to the negotiating table?

I think you overweight A16 (which ultras actually decided was insufficient hence the abrogation bill) and underweight the “facts on the ground” and overall realpolitik as sources of leverage.

Boris was a costly and confidence-eroding interregnum. There’s no evidence apart from conjecture that the NIP has delivered a better ultimate outcome, albeit we can certainly count the hit to trade.
    The EU absolutely left the negotiating table. Until late 2021 they kept repeating that it was up to the UK to implement the NI protocol and it wouldn't be renegotiated at all. It was only once legal advice suggested that the UK had grounds to pull the A16 trigger due to the EU refusing to implement their part of the deal while attempting to enforce border controls into NI.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

IanB2 said:

At the time it was as you say better than a no deal but I doubt anyone understood how bad it was before Sunak spoke about it at the dispatch box today

If we are talking of supporting something at the time @CorrectHorseBattery wholly endorsed Corbyn for PM and since has had a damascine conversion to Starmer
    Just possibly, perhaps you’re not the best person to go pointing the fingers at others’ u-turns? ;)
    I have had many change of minds over decades in politics and accept them and it is fair to draw a comparison with others who have also changed their minds
    Yes, you’re right. I should also have acknowledged your greater ability to recognise one when you saw it….
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Ian Paisley Jnr says the deal doesn't 'cut the mustard.'

'Break: Ian Paisley, the DUP MP, tells me: the Windsor Framework “does not cut the mustard”. It provides no basis for the DUP to go back into government + Rishi Sunak needs to enter fresh negotiations with the EU
    Ian Paisley dismisses the Stormont Brake which allows the Northern Ireland assembly to block EU legislation if it has a big and lasting impact on NI. He says the brake is in the boot of the car under the spare wheel and impossible to reach.' https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1630270192029782017?s=20

So looks like the DUP will vote against the Deal, which means it would not meet its 1st key test of restoring the Stormont Executive
    You seem to actively want the deal to fail but you are going to be disappointed notwithstanding comments from some DUP representatives
    “the brake is in the boot of the car under the spare wheel and impossible to reach”

To be fair though, regardless how politicians are trying to spin the Stormount Break mechanism, 30 assembly members needed to trigger the clause - how easy is that part - which then doesn’t change a thing, merely goes first into UK courts and ultimately to EU to override UK courts to decide that you really do have ‘exceptional circumstances’ justifying to have break from the agreement? So you need to take along and win with evidence of ‘exceptional circumstances’.

This is actually what is written there isn’t it?

To use the DUP analogy, a break leaver stops something when you pull it. Pull this one nothing happens for years with no guarantee anything will change.
    Nope. If HMG decides to use the brake after a Stormont Petition then courts have nothing to do with it.
    Nope. Not in this agreement.

Not the first time you got things wrong though driver, is it.
    Yes, in this agreement. It is there in black and white.

Is that the actual legal text, or just the Government summary of it? Genuine question.
    Government summary. AFAIK we don't have the full legal text yet. But it would be a bit foolish to allow that in the summary if it's not in the text!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    IanB2 said:

I have to say Sunak is demolitioning Johnson's ludicrous NIP

Indeed it is astonishing just how awful it was

It depends what you think the purpose of Johnson’s NIP was.

Mays deal was worse in the long run.

The NIP was practically unworkable but got through Brexit to a point where it could be sensibly renegotiated

Judged on that metric it did what it was intended to do
    Utter tripe.

It’s like saying that the shit on the carpet “intended” that the carpet be cleaned.
    Well it's certainly a stepping stone toward a clean carpet....
    Using it such is likely to make the task considerably harder.
    Best sidestepped.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited February 2023
    "What happens if no agreement in Joint Committee after the brake is triggered?

After the UK has notified the EU that the brake has been triggered, an exchange of views will take place in the Joint Committee on the implications of the amended or replacing act for the proper functioning of the Protocol. If the Parties cannot agree either to add an amended or replacing act or to other measures to ensure the proper functioning of the Protocol, the EU can take appropriate remedial measures, as is the case under Article 13(4) of the Protocol.

For a notification under Article 13(3a) to be made in good faith, it needs to be made under each of the conditions set out in the Unilateral Declaration made by the United Kingdom. An arbitration panel may rule on whether these conditions have been met."
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

'Break: Ian Paisley, the DUP MP, tells me: the Windsor Framework “does not cut the mustard”. It provides no basis for the DUP to go back into government + Rishi Sunak needs to enter fresh negotiations with the EU
    Ian Paisley dismisses the Stormont Brake which allows the Northern Ireland assembly to block EU legislation if it has a big and lasting impact on NI. He says the brake is in the boot of the car under the spare wheel and impossible to reach.' https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1630270192029782017?s=20

So looks like the DUP will vote against the Deal, which means it would not meet its 1st key test of restoring the Stormont Executive
    You seem to actively want the deal to fail but you are going to be disappointed notwithstanding comments from some DUP representatives
    “the brake is in the boot of the car under the spare wheel and impossible to reach”

To be fair though, regardless how politicians are trying to spin the Stormount Break mechanism, 30 assembly members needed to trigger the clause - how easy is that part - which then doesn’t change a thing, merely goes first into UK courts and ultimately to EU to override UK courts to decide that you really do have ‘exceptional circumstances’ justifying to have break from the agreement? So you need to take along and win with evidence of ‘exceptional circumstances’.

To use the DUP analogy, a break leaver stops something when you pull it. Pull this one nothing happens for years with no guarantee anything will change.
    Nope. If HMG decides to use the brake after a Stormont Petition then courts have nothing to do with it.

Is that the actual legal text, or just the Government summary of it? Genuine question.
    Government summary. AFAIK we don't have the full legal text yet. But it would be a bit foolish to allow that in the summary if it's not in the text!
    Well the devil is in the detail...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Rees Mogg has reservations about ECJ having final say over the Deal in NI which is still making him wary of the Deal. He says the DUP response will be key for whether the Deal will be an acceptable Deal for the whole UK.

So looks like ERG waiting for DUP response, then they will take the same line

If Johnson is pushed back to leading a small group of the party's nutters, in opposition to what is widely seen as pragmatic good sense in the national interest, that in itself would be a humiliation.

Trouble for him is that filing through the lobbies to back Sunak's trashing of his own work and legacy, without having anything significant to say on the matter, is also a humiliation.
    It was Boris who got Brexit done, today is just tweeks to the Irish Sea border
    That is a steaming pile of elephant manure. That is so crap I could almost sell it to the farmer of the field behind my house.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Crerar: Sunak has gambled on enough Conservative MPs recognising that continued wrangling over Brexit in the runup to the next election would be electoral suicide – and that his deal is better than the alternatives.

It looks as if he has, at the very least, staved off a major rebellion, a huge shift from last week when there were warnings that as many as 100 Tory MPs could vote against the agreement. Parliament is expected to be given a vote – but not this week, so that MPs have time to go through the legal text. Tory whips are hopeful that the rebellion can be limited to two dozen irreconcilables, meaning the deal could pass without the government having to rely on Labour votes.

Unusually, the government’s deal has won the backing of the main UK opposition parties – although they do point out that much economic and political pain could have been avoided if Sunak’s predecessors had taken a different tack. They will now go away and study the detail of the deal. The prime minister should take the win.

• Options
    Sunak's command of detail is impressive and is such a contrast to Johnson
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Given that so many on here are claiming the deal proves that they were right all along, I can only conclude that it must be quite a good deal.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

It depends what you think the purpose of Johnson’s NIP was.

Mays deal was worse in the long run.

The NIP was practically unworkable but got through Brexit to a point where it could be sensibly renegotiated

Judged on that metric it did what it was intended to do
    Utter tripe.

It’s like saying that the shit on the carpet “intended” that the carpet be cleaned.
    Well it's certainly a stepping stone toward a clean carpet....
    Using it such is likely to make the task considerably harder.
    Best sidestepped.
    Friend of mine was the son of a London docker, I think - anyway, he came from Rotherhithe way. "Shit on a blanket" was the docker's expression for someone who was obnoxious but wouldn't go away. Shite in a carpet has the same qualities.
  • Options

"What happens if no agreement in Joint Committee after the brake is triggered?

After the UK has notified the EU that the brake has been triggered, an exchange of views will take place in the Joint Committee on the implications of the amended or replacing act for the proper functioning of the Protocol. If the Parties cannot agree either to add an amended or replacing act or to other measures to ensure the proper functioning of the Protocol, the EU can take appropriate remedial measures, as is the case under Article 13(4) of the Protocol.

For a notification under Article 13(3a) to be made in good faith, it needs to be made under each of the conditions set out in the Unilateral Declaration made by the United Kingdom. An arbitration panel may rule on whether these conditions have been met."

My reading of that summary (from the EU) is that the arbitration panel is merely deciding whether the Article 13(3a) (I assume this is the Article where the Stormont Brake sits?) has been triggered in accordance with the conditions - if it isn't properly made, what happens then? What are "remedial measures"?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The EU absolutely left the negotiating table. Until late 2021 they kept repeating that it was up to the UK to implement the NI protocol and it wouldn't be renegotiated at all. It was only once legal advice suggested that the UK had grounds to pull the A16 trigger due to the EU refusing to implement their part of the deal while attempting to enforce border controls into NI.
    They left the negotiating table under our timeline, not the May counterfactual.
    And no surprise, either, because Johnson and Frost were widely understood, even inside the UK, as utter charlatans.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995

HYUFD said:

The DUP are a bunch of prize knobends. What purpose do they serve beyond perennially agitating for endless dispute and disruption? Let the Alliance self-designate as Unionist for constitution convenience and Michelle O'Neill can lead NI as FM without the moronic Orange Brigade. Naomi Long as DFM.

No, the UUP could do that if they back the Deal, not the Alliance
    If the DUP refuse to take part in governing their own province, nominate the next biggest party. Find a way! Change the law if necessary.
    So abolish the Good Friday Agreement. 🤔

From what I've heard of the deal, I like it. It seems sensible. It seems like what I was saying we should do for years but people kept saying was an impossible unicorn.

But as far as the Good Friday Agreement goes, it isn't up to you and me who runs the province, its upto the two elected parties representing the cross community. Either a deal is reached satisfying them, or there's no deal as far as Stormont is concerned. Unless you repeal and abolish the Good Friday Agreement.
    I don't think the Good Friday Agreement refers to "the two elected parties representing the cross community".

The reference is to "unionist and nationalist designations". It doesn't mention the DUP or largest party. I think there is scope for sidelining the DUP.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1034123/The_Belfast_Agreement_An_Agreement_Reached_at_the_Multi-Party_Talks_on_Northern_Ireland.pdf

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

So what Tory crazy thing will Sunak undo next? He’s done Trussonomics and NI Brexit. How about leaving the customs union or universal credit?

Only people who don't understand the EU Customs Union talk about it in these terms.

No Brexiteer joins the EU CU. It would be bonkers on sticks.
    Well what crazy Tory policy do you want Sunak to undo next?
    I now it was tongue-in-cheek but Universal Credit is too embedded now to be undone. It could certainly be improved but undone? Nah.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Well the devil is in the detail...
    True, but a detail that when found (and it inevitably would be) would cause the entire deal to collapse is one heck of a devil.
  • Options

He was not alone
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Controversially, I agree that Truss deserves some very small credit for today.

There was a modest but obvious departure from Boris’s fraudulence when she became PM, and she put in place the team that supported this negotiation.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,845

Sunak committing unambiguously to the ECHR is entailed in today's 'choose cooperation after Brexit' strategy.

If left the ECHR, he has no UK-EU relationship, and would deeply damage any working relationship with Macron or Biden

Leaving the ECHR would break the GFA . There’s no running away from that .
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

biggles said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

Today is another step to rejoining.

Horizon today, single market soon.

LOL.

If I thought you seriously believed we’d ever rejoin (as opposed to you just being provocative) I’d invest the time in showing why it’s off the table. But you don’t.
    Incrementalism.

We’ll keep on getting closer alignment.

To quote a Leaver friend is today closer to our EU membership than yesterday?
    No it isn’t, it’s further away than under the protocol. Bad example.

What people like you forget is that the EU hasn’t been frozen and won’t remain frozen. As the years pass by, integration into the single market will get harder and harder, and more and more disruptive.
    The dream of serious divergence just isn't going to happen.
    Have you worked with the EU? I’ve lost track of the directives and regulations in the pipeline because it no longer matters; but for one things I’d assume there’s going to be a Mifid 3. Without us in the room, that will loek reintroduce a concentration rule by default amongst other things. That’s massive.

See also digital and data standards.

Physical products? Very little difference.
    The directives and regulations we would have passed versions of anyway. Like I said, the dream of serious divergence is not going to happen because it would be ridiculously unpopular.
    We won’t be passing anything like what the EU will pass on financial services without us in the room. We will diverge.

Financial services - the bedrock of the red wall.
    Funny how you ignore the micro - Scotch Whisky - in favour of macro but ignore the macro (financial services/red wall) depending on what best suits your view
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

And no surprise, either, because Johnson and Frost were widely understood, even inside the UK, as utter charlatans.
    Remind us how they responded to May's Chequers plan.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

So what Tory crazy thing will Sunak undo next? He’s done Trussonomics and NI Brexit. How about leaving the customs union or universal credit?

Only people who don't understand the EU Customs Union talk about it in these terms.

I now it was tongue-in-cheek but Universal Credit is too embedded now to be undone. It could certainly be improved but undone? Nah.
    You could do something with Academy chains though. Especially the ludicrous multi academy trusts which consist of one school.
  • Options
    I wonder if in a few months/years the people saying this was a great deal will be calling betrayal as per all the previous agreements.
  • Options
    Brexit gave Steve Baker a mental health breakdown.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1630302891029217280
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,418

MikeL said:

Deltapoll
    @DeltapollUK
    🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Labour lead is fifteen points in latest results from Deltapoll.
    Con 31% (+3)
    Lab 46% (-4)
    Lib Dem 8% (-1)
    Other 15% (+3)
    Fieldwork: 24th - 27th February
    Sample: 1,060 GB adults
    (Changes from 17th - 20th February 2023)

https://twitter.com/DeltapollUK/status/1630257181097353217?cxt=HHwWgoCzvZmR658tAAAA

Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide!
    You are striking a bum note about Starmer’s chances 😦

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

If you want me to argue that the EU are or have been blameless, I won’t. But I am interested in practical solutions not primary school eschatology.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,418
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Reread clause 63 above.

In fairness to Moon.
    What? 😠
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

The Great Reform Act. Went too far and the rot started to set in.
  • Options

Fantastic news.
    Hopefully Braverman will now do one.
    Yup.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

Not sure I get or agree with the 'buried in the small print' comment, as if this was something hidden and to be ashamed of. Given that everything the NIP bill sought to address has been addressed by the adults, it is entirely sensible to drop it and the decision to do so is right there in the main text of the document (rather than being hidden away as if it was something Sunak is seeking to avoid comment on)

I’d go further and say it’s a PR “win” for the EU which costs the UK nothing.

Assuming the UK got something in return that’s not a bad trade
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They were brought to the table by the NI Protocol Bill, which was leverage.

Leverage we only had, as we were in the Johnson/Frost timeline.
  • Options

Fantastic news.
    It seems Sunak anticipates greater cooperation with Macron and the EU over the boat issue as a result of the new friendlier relationship

Confirmation of membership of ECHR seems a sensible part of this rapprochement
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Why not the Six Acts? That's when the country really went to the dogs.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    edited February 2023

You were a big cheerleader for Johnson back in the day. You were very excited that Starmer had broken COVID rules thus negating Johnson's wrongdoing, and here you are a Sunakian and a critic of BigDog. Pots and kettles G.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Reread clause 63 above.

In fairness to Moon.
    What? 😠
    Take the win.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Keep telling yourself that.
    Your hero is a busted flush, and your other hero is whatever gets stuck in a busted flush.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited February 2023
    biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

If only the wealthiest 5% could vote as pre 1832 then Remain would have won the 2016 referendum anyway and the next election would likely be between the Tories and LDs not the Tories and Labour
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited February 2023
    nico679 said:

Great interview with Steve Baker on Channel 4 News .

Clearly making the point that you have to have some EU law in NI to keep the border open and essentially it’s a price worth paying .

Good to see him shake hands with Guru Murthy at the end.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

If you want me to argue that the EU are or have been blameless, I won’t. But I am interested in practical solutions not primary school eschatology.
    Both sides agreeing not to be tw@ts is to be applauded.
    Of course it helps to have a PM who isn’t one.
  • Options

Fantastic news.
    It seems Sunak anticipates greater cooperation with Macron and the EU over the boat issue as a result of the new friendlier relationship

He seems to learn fast.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,725
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

The text I think is here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-windsor-framework

AIUI the "brake" only applies to EU regs that change after the agreement goes into effect. Essentially the brake allows the old EU regulation to continue to apply in NI if certain conditions are met. Which is probably why the EU is relaxed about it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Could we undo the Conquest ?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Reread clause 63 above.

In fairness to Moon.
    What? 😠
    Sorry. Thought you had.
    Apologies if I recall incorrectly.
  • Options

You were a big cheerleader for Johnson back in the day. You were very excited that Starmer had broken COVID rules this negating Johnson's wrongdoing, and here you are a Sunakian and a critic of BigDog. Pots and kettles G.
    I supported Johnson over Brexit, covid and Ukraine but if you have followed my posts I turned against Johnson over partygate plus patersongate, and wallpaper gate and have supported Sunak even before he became PM

I did not vote for Johnson or Hunt in the election for leader and admit that I do alter my views just as others have
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

The text I think is here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-windsor-framework

AIUI the "brake" only applies to EU regs that change after the agreement goes into effect. Essentially the brake allows the old EU regulation to continue to apply in NI if certain conditions are met. Which is probably why the EU is relaxed about it.
    And if the arbitration panel rules that the brake was not applied in accordance with [unknown], the change in EU regs comes into force anyway.

I can't find the conditions though. It does not appear to be an absolute veto to me.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

It did ban women from voting though.
    That would do wonders for Tory prospects.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Ian Paisley Junior is a corrupt gobshite.

The senior people whose views matter in the DUP are Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, Nigel and Diane Dodds, Emma Pengelley, and Lord Morrow.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Keep telling yourself that.
    Your hero is a busted flush, and your other hero is whatever gets stuck in a busted flush.
    "Heroes" belong to comic books, and their adaptations, not politics.

May's backstop got us nowhere.
    Boris's agreement got us to this happy end state.

If you'd explained what is negotiated now, in GB and NI, five years ago who would have been calling for that? Is this arrangement closer to Barnier or Frost?

This is what I was calling for and you lot were calling a "unicorn" five years ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

And if the arbitration panel rules that the brake was not applied in accordance with [unknown], the change in EU regs comes into force anyway.

I can't find the conditions though. It does not appear to be an absolute veto to me.
    Found them.

"The United Kingdom shall make the notification referred to in the first subparagraph of this paragraph only where:

(a) the content or scope of the Union act as amended or replaced by the specific Union act significantly differs, in whole or in part, from the content or scope of the Union act as applicable before being amended or replaced; and

(b) the application in Northern Ireland of the Union act as amended or replaced by the specific Union act, or of the relevant part thereof as the case may be, would have a significant impact specific to everyday life of communities in Northern Ireland in a way that is liable to persist."

Seems a high bar to me.
  • Options

Fantastic news.

He seems to learn fast.
    Sunak and Hunt are clearly aware that resolution of the NIP is essential and no doubt sees an opportunity to grow closer to the EU which I expect is broadly welcomed by most
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The senior people whose views matter in the DUP are Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, Nigel and Diane Dodds, Emma Pengelley, and Lord Morrow.

TBF, him being 'a corrupt gobshite' doesn't necessarily mark him out as exceptional in that company, does it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

63.Once the UK notifies the EU that the Brake has been triggered, the rule in question is suspended automatically from coming into effect. It can then only be subsequently applied in Northern Ireland if the UK and EU both agree to that jointly in the Joint Committee. This would give the UK an unequivocal veto - enabling the rule to be permanently disapplied - within the Joint Committee. This new safeguard in the treaty is not subject to ECJ oversight, and any dispute on this issue would be resolved through subsequent independent arbitration according to international, not EU, law.

Reading the actual legal text, and although I am far from an expert, while it may not be subject to ECJ oversight it does not appear to be an "unequivocal veto" to me.
  • Options
    Some further good news!

Sir Terry Pratchett: Short stories to be published after being found by fans
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64789059
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    dixiedean said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

ISTR liberal opposition to female suffrage was that they didn't want to give the Tories a permanent majority.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,725

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Article 2 of the Draft Decision file on the page I linked has the proposed text.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

#JusticeForBeakerPeople
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

#JusticeForBeakerPeople
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world
    Like a Colossus, and we petty men
    Walk under his huge legs and peep about
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Some further good news!

Sir Terry Pratchett: Short stories to be published after being found by fans
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64789059

Great news!

Dragons in Crumbling Castle is a great collection, its really cool seeing his early writing and the seeds of what would become Discworld. It'll be great to read more, definitely buying this when it comes out. Or more probably asking for this for Father's Day.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

#JusticeForBeakerPeople
    Reparations for Homo neanderthalensis!
    Reparations for anaerobic bacteria made extinct by the GOE!
  • Options

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

"The United Kingdom shall make the notification referred to in the first subparagraph of this paragraph only where:

(a) the content or scope of the Union act as amended or replaced by the specific Union act significantly differs, in whole or in part, from the content or scope of the Union act as applicable before being amended or replaced; and

(b) the application in Northern Ireland of the Union act as amended or replaced by the specific Union act, or of the relevant part thereof as the case may be, would have a significant impact specific to everyday life of communities in Northern Ireland in a way that is liable to persist."

Seems a high bar to me.
    I don't think "significantly differs" or "significant impact" are high bars at all. It just means the new rule is meaningful.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Driver said:

MaxPB said:

biggles said:

WillG said:

It was an appalling “deal” that put huge pressure on trade between Northern Ireland and the Mainland, and which surrendered sovereignty in several key areas.

Johnson and Frost were utter charlatans.
    But it surrendered partial sovereinty only for Northern Ireland. That was better than May's deal which surrendered partial sovereignty for the whole UK. And that in turn was better than EU membership which suffered a whole lot more sovereignty for the whole UK.
    I don’t accept this characterisation.

May’s simply booted certain arrangements into the longer term to avoid pain in the short term.

In some ways, it was a “hard” version of “Norway for now”.

What, precisely, did the UK do with Boris’s supposed additional sovereignty? It cost billions and billions in lost growth.
    This is another example of how people talk across each other in this debate. No one sensible thinks Brexit made us richer. It made us poorer than we otherwise might have been, but we left for other reasons.
    That’s not the debate.
    Your contention is that Boris’s deal was better than May’s because it delivered more sovereignty.

What is happening is that we are heading toward a macro state that is similar to what May managed to agree in the first place.

We just have had to pay several years of a Boris tax.
    No we're nowhere near what May proposed. She proposed a no way out backstop for the whole of the UK. We'd still be there if that had been implemented as the inertia factor on the EU side would be huge and the inertia factor for Brexit 2 would be even bigger for the UK to pull out of the EU deal.
    I don’t agree.
    It's your prerogative to disagree with reality if you want, but it doesn't make for a useful discussion.
    Mays deal envisaged a new and subsequent arrangement in 2020. Specific arrangements on Northern Ireland were supposed to be agreed with the EU and the UK was free to take specific proposals to a Joint Committee.

As I said in my original post, while the UK did not retain a unilateral right to just break off this agreement, it is stretching things beyond credibly to think the UK signed up to a for-ever customs union.

From a pure negotiating perspective, I can see why some want to claim that it was better to get to where we are today via the kind of hard break Boris “negotiated”, but I’m afraid that the vassalage idea around May’s deal was totally overblown, and Boris’s route cost the economy many many billions.
    It wasn't overblown, it would have been the legal reality in the May deal. The UK would be stuck in the backstop with no unilateral mechanism to exit other than abrogating the treaty. Even the TCA has a 12 month divorce proceeding, the May WA didn't even have that. It was legitimately permanent purgatory for the UK stuck in the single market and customs union with no seat at the EU table and no legal mechanism to exit without the EU agreeing. It was a disaster and I said at the time it was a disaster.
    What you call purgatory, I call insurance.
    Abrogating the treaty would have been the last recourse, but the intention was actually to make a new agreement sans the customs union.
    Basically the argument rests on whether the “backstop” arrangements were in the interests of the EU against potential negotiated alternatives down the line. Those arguing the “purgatory” position were either taking the position that they were, or that the EU did not seek to act in its own interests where those interests might also coincide with the UK’s and potential to demonstrate “success” of Brexit. The “insurance” advocates basically disagree with this, argue that the backstop was an unstable position in neither party’s interests and that reality would drive its eventual replacement.
    I think I agree, but I’d add that the purgatorial argument just happens to tie in with what was good for Boris’s career.

Purgatorialists were played.
    AND it cost the economy billions.
    Yes. And you (I think) made the valid point above that if May's agreement was legally impossible to exit then so was Johnson's. Given that (having been trapped in it) Johnson's Govt proposed unilateral action through UK legislation to exit it then logically so could the same have been done under May's agreement. I think (subject to contradiction) that the supposed legal justification for the unilateral action within the NI Protocol bill was also available within the May agreement. Basically if the NI Protocol allowed provisions for suspension, then so did the May agreement.

Geoffrey Cox argued that we couldn't unilaterally exit the backstop. But then i suspect he would have taken the same view over the NI Protocol.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.
    AND it has to be made in good faith.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    In more Tories-shuffling-off-the-blame, this is another specimen: apparently high energy bills are all Labour's fault. (Yes, I had to check the date on it.)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/feb/27/uk-energy-minister-blames-labour-for-soaring-energy-bills

• Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Driver said:

MaxPB said:

biggles said:

WillG said:

It was an appalling “deal” that put huge pressure on trade between Northern Ireland and the Mainland, and which surrendered sovereignty in several key areas.

But it surrendered partial sovereinty only for Northern Ireland. That was better than May's deal which surrendered partial sovereignty for the whole UK. And that in turn was better than EU membership which suffered a whole lot more sovereignty for the whole UK.

May’s simply booted certain arrangements into the longer term to avoid pain in the short term.

What, precisely, did the UK do with Boris’s supposed additional sovereignty? It cost billions and billions in lost growth.
    This is another example of how people talk across each other in this debate. No one sensible thinks Brexit made us richer. It made us poorer than we otherwise might have been, but we left for other reasons.
    That’s not the debate.
    Your contention is that Boris’s deal was better than May’s because it delivered more sovereignty.

What is happening is that we are heading toward a macro state that is similar to what May managed to agree in the first place.

No we're nowhere near what May proposed. She proposed a no way out backstop for the whole of the UK. We'd still be there if that had been implemented as the inertia factor on the EU side would be huge and the inertia factor for Brexit 2 would be even bigger for the UK to pull out of the EU deal.
    I don’t agree.
    It's your prerogative to disagree with reality if you want, but it doesn't make for a useful discussion.
    Mays deal envisaged a new and subsequent arrangement in 2020. Specific arrangements on Northern Ireland were supposed to be agreed with the EU and the UK was free to take specific proposals to a Joint Committee.

As I said in my original post, while the UK did not retain a unilateral right to just break off this agreement, it is stretching things beyond credibly to think the UK signed up to a for-ever customs union.

From a pure negotiating perspective, I can see why some want to claim that it was better to get to where we are today via the kind of hard break Boris “negotiated”, but I’m afraid that the vassalage idea around May’s deal was totally overblown, and Boris’s route cost the economy many many billions.
    It wasn't overblown, it would have been the legal reality in the May deal. The UK would be stuck in the backstop with no unilateral mechanism to exit other than abrogating the treaty. Even the TCA has a 12 month divorce proceeding, the May WA didn't even have that. It was legitimately permanent purgatory for the UK stuck in the single market and customs union with no seat at the EU table and no legal mechanism to exit without the EU agreeing. It was a disaster and I said at the time it was a disaster.
    Abrogating the treaty would have been the last recourse, but the intention was actually to make a new agreement sans the customs union.
    Basically the argument rests on whether the “backstop” arrangements were in the interests of the EU against potential negotiated alternatives down the line. Those arguing the “purgatory” position were either taking the position that they were, or that the EU did not seek to act in its own interests where those interests might also coincide with the UK’s and potential to demonstrate “success” of Brexit. The “insurance” advocates basically disagree with this, argue that the backstop was an unstable position in neither party’s interests and that reality would drive its eventual replacement.
    I think I agree, but I’d add that the purgatorial argument just happens to tie in with what was good for Boris’s career.

Yes. And you (I think) made the valid point above that if May's agreement was legally impossible to exit then so was Johnson's. Given that (having been trapped in it) Johnson's Govt proposed unilateral action through UK legislation to exit it then logically so could the same have been done under May's agreement. I think (subject to contradiction) that the supposed legal justification for the unilateral action within the NI Protocol bill was also available within the May agreement. Basically if the NI Protocol allowed provisions for suspension, then so did the May agreement.

Geoffrey Cox argued that we couldn't unilaterally exit the backstop. But then i suspect he would have taken the same view over the NI Protocol.
    Legally we could have left all, but May's deal did it in a way that would have made it a lot more painful.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited February 2023
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Driver said:

MaxPB said:

biggles said:

WillG said:

That’s not the debate.

I don’t agree.

False comparison.

May's deal left us unable to get out, while still being in the EU's arrangements, with no unilateral exits.

Boris's deal already had us out of the EU's arrangements, and had multiple unilateral exits.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

ISTR liberal opposition to female suffrage was that they didn't want to give the Tories a permanent majority.
    That was at the time of the Suffragettes ISTR.
    That women have gradually drifted to the left of men from starting well to the right over many decades is a little mysterious. There are plenty of theories. None wholly convincing to me.
    It's a little known fact that a number of women had the vote prior to 1832.
    There was no hard and fast bar. An unmarried eldest daughter (assuming no sons natch), whose father had died, owning the requisite property qualifications, was perfectly entitled to vote. Until they married of course.
    It's a major plot point in Gentleman Jack. It's why she's a convinced Tory. (It's a far more interesting and nuanced book than the execrable TV show).
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    WillG said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.
    I don't think "significantly differs" or "significant impact" are high bars at all. It just means the new rule is meaningful.
    It has to be significantly different from the existing EU regulation AND significantly impact everyday life in a way that persists. That's a fairly high bar.

The point is that this isn't a simple unilateral veto. It can only be applied in certain circumstances.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

#JusticeForBeakerPeople
    Bloody Beaker people. Coming over here with their advanced pottery technology.
    What was wrong with cupping your hands together to drink?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

TBF, him being 'a corrupt gobshite' doesn't necessarily mark him out as exceptional in that company, does it?
    No. The DUP, Sinn Fein, Fianna Fáil, OVP, Forza Italia, Les Republicans, vie with each other, to be Europe’s most corrupt political party.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

WillG said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.
    It has to be significantly different from the existing EU regulation AND significantly impact everyday life in a way that persists. That's a fairly high bar.
    It works precisely because although it does represent a veto, the NI stuff is goods only so we’ll never diverge far for many reasons (I disagreed with you earlier on the non-goods side but not here) so the issue will actually never arise. Or, if it does, it’ll be a major controversy in the EU too and there’ll be other opt-outs across the union so an NI opt out could be managed.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

In more Tories-shuffling-off-the-blame, this is another specimen: apparently high energy bills are all Labour's fault. (Yes, I had to check the date on it.)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/feb/27/uk-energy-minister-blames-labour-for-soaring-energy-bills

Not just Labour. But the last Labour government.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

The DUP are a bunch of prize knobends. What purpose do they serve beyond perennially agitating for endless dispute and disruption? Let the Alliance self-designate as Unionist for constitution convenience and Michelle O'Neill can lead NI as FM without the moronic Orange Brigade. Naomi Long as DFM.

If the DUP refuse to take part in governing their own province, nominate the next biggest party. Find a way! Change the law if necessary.

From what I've heard of the deal, I like it. It seems sensible. It seems like what I was saying we should do for years but people kept saying was an impossible unicorn.

But as far as the Good Friday Agreement goes, it isn't up to you and me who runs the province, its upto the two elected parties representing the cross community. Either a deal is reached satisfying them, or there's no deal as far as Stormont is concerned. Unless you repeal and abolish the Good Friday Agreement.
    I don't think the Good Friday Agreement refers to "the two elected parties representing the cross community".

The reference is to "unionist and nationalist designations". It doesn't mention the DUP or largest party. I think there is scope for sidelining the DUP.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1034123/The_Belfast_Agreement_An_Agreement_Reached_at_the_Multi-Party_Talks_on_Northern_Ireland.pdf

That's what all these suggestions about the Alliance Party redesignating as Unionist are all about.
  • Options
    biggles said:

WillG said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.
    It works precisely because it does represent a veto, but the NI stuff is goods only and we’ll never diverge far on them for many reasons (I disagreed with you earlier on the non-goods side but not here) so the issue will actually never arise. Or, if it does, it’ll be a major controversy in the EU too and there’ll be other opt-outs across the union.
    It isn't a veto because it can only be applied in very specific circumstances which are not in the control of Stormont. I reckon the so-called "Stormont Brake" is never actually applied in reality.
  • Options

WillG said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.

The point is that this isn't a simple unilateral veto. It can only be applied in certain circumstances.
    "That persists" just means its any permanent law effect, rather than one off administrative cost of setting it up or a temporary law. And I can't see a law that doesn't have a meaningful impact on day to day life as one that is worth worrying about.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

biggles said:

WillG said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.
    It works precisely because it does represent a veto, but the NI stuff is goods only and we’ll never diverge far on them for many reasons (I disagreed with you earlier on the non-goods side but not here) so the issue will actually never arise. Or, if it does, it’ll be a major controversy in the EU too and there’ll be other opt-outs across the union.
    It isn't a veto because it can only be applied in very specific circumstances which are not in the control of Stormont. I reckon the so-called "Stormont Brake" is never actually applied in reality.
    Yes. That’s what I’m saying above. It’s clever because the circumstances won’t arise, but if they did it would be a unilateral opt-out. Slays the ERG’s perceived dragon but no real risk to the EU.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

It's an excellent deal that works for both sides. Only the loons will be disappointed.

So, a majority?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

That's what all these suggestions about the Alliance Party redesignating as Unionist are all about.
    Alliance can designate as they please, they have 17 MLAs, the DUP have 25, the UUP 9 and TUV 1.

So even if the Alliance change designation, then that leaves them well short of 40% of the designated Unionists.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Magna Carta. Gave those Barons too much. Start of the rot.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    Knowing nothing about the details -- oddly enough, our local news stations haven't been giving the agreement much coverage -- I'll just say that I hope it works out well for all of you.

And that the agreement makes it easier for you to work with nations in the EU to help Ukraine.

If either or both of those things happen, then Sunak should get some credit, but I will venture no prediction on whether he will.

PS - Thanks to Malmesbury for reminding me about the "Catholic Protestants". I had heard about that arrangement, perhaps in the Economist, but forgotten about it.
  • Options
    Seems to be overwhelming support for this deal. Who isn’t supporting it. DUP I presume?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    alex_ said:

Is that actually even slightly likely, or is it more like the suggestions that Sinn Fein might have taken their Westminster seats to vote in some Brexit vote or other -- theoretically possible but in practice a pigs-flying event ?
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Seems to be overwhelming support for this deal. Who isn’t supporting it. DUP I presume?

They haven't said officially. Paisley Jnr isn't.
    Only TUV and Dorries openly against.
    Lib Dems non committal. Quite a potential alliance there!
  • Options
    They should all vote for the deal so that we never have to talk about Northern Ireland ever again...
  • Options

alex_ said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Alliance can designate as they please, they have 17 MLAs, the DUP have 25, the UUP 9 and TUV 1.

So even if the Alliance change designation, then that leaves them well short of 40% of the designated Unionists.
    The point is to remove the DUP veto, not the veto of a united unionist community.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    Carnyx said:

Did Labour invade Ukraine? I thought it was Putin…

On a serious point governments of all stripes are to blame. Lack of preparedness for a change in the wind direction. Striving to move away from fossil (a laudable aim) while not doing enough to mitigate potential issues that might crop up. Greens have blocked nuclear for years, yet nuclear is a better option for the transition than just relying on intermittent wind.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

biggles said:

WillG said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Found them.

Seems a high bar to me.
    Not uncommon as far as contingency measures go.
  • Options

Only real obstacle i can see is if the Tory press decide to play sh*t stirrer extra-ordinaire.
  • Options

Knowing nothing about the details -- oddly enough, our local news stations haven't been giving the agreement much coverage -- I'll just say that I hope it works out well for all of you.

And that the agreement makes it easier for you to work with nations in the EU to help Ukraine.

If either or both of those things happen, then Sunak should get some credit, but I will venture no prediction on whether he will.

PS - Thanks to Malmesbury for reminding me about the "Catholic Protestants". I had heard about that arrangement, perhaps in the Economist, but forgotten about it.

Don't forget your very own Protestant Catholics.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2018/12/14/the-protestant-catholics/
This discussion has been closed.