Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak’s doing better than Truss – but that’s not saying much – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2023 in General
imageSunak’s doing better than Truss – but that’s not saying much – politicalbetting.com

It is perhaps worth reminding ourselves how badly the Tory party was performing when Truss was prime minister. The Wikipedia chart above shows the national opinion polls for her final few weeks when there were more LAB leads in the 30s than in the 20s.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited February 2023
    1st

What happened - I've been out most of the last couple of hours? Just lucky today.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    MattW said:

1st

What happened - I've been out most of the last couple of hours? Just lucky today.

Mainly what happened is a bloke called MattW was out for a couple of hours.

Don't get your hopes up that you are like the AntiSodsLawGod of the likes of OGH
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,725
    edited February 2023
    'Sunak doing better than Truss' is the equivalent of saying 'X likes Max Verstappen more than TSE does.'
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    MattW said:

1st

Leon would have been first, but he is now behind a paywall (with any luck)
  • In fairness, if the government spin is to be believed then Rishi has played a blinder over Northern Ireland. It's just sad to reflect on the unnecessary belligerence of Boris, Frosty, Truss etc. and all those wasted years. Now that Rishi has lanced that particular boil, the next step is surely full cooperation with the EU over trade. (We can worry about diplomatic, military and travel reforms therefter.)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    The title is pretty spot on. Probably stopped the rot, but it is now too late anyway.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

BUT

— UK unable to convince EU that there should be no role for the ECJ

— under technical talks, NI courts could still theoretically refer cases relating to EU law up to ECJ

— that’s a red line crossed for some unionists and Brexiteers

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1626869551626440705

Whomp whomp

For some inexplicable reason, you omitted the previous tweet:

— UK side feel they got 90% of what they asked for in negotiations with the EU

— convincing the EU to accept green/red lanes is seen by the Brits as a major win that will solve the problem of trade friction

An innocent oversight, no doubt.
    But will 90% be enough for the DUP?
    Compromise is a word missing from the DUP vocabulary.
    Compromise = Surrender for hard-line Unionists,
    The Northern Ireland peace process has educated everyone.

The winning move, for years, is stubborn intransigence combined with a threat of violence at a suitable remove.

People who have spent decades training leopards to eat faces shouldn’t be surprised by the abundance of face eating leopards.

“I’m a man of peace, but these blokes I don’t really know will start murdering unless you give me what I want.”

Having grown up in an era of peace the seeming permanence of a system which requires power sharing between the different sides, and thus can collapse whenever one side wants to throw their toys out of the pram, becomes increasingly wearing. I know it helped bring about the peace, but at what point does the set up hurt things?

It says something about the value of PR that the Sinn Fein lot often come across as more reasonable.

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Good morning, everyone.

Baffled at the notion reading Lord of the Rings is indicative of an extreme right wing political ideology.

Or Shakespeare.

JRRT was a fervent Catholic, tory, General Franco fan boi and monarchist. Put all those together and it's a very short and convient commute to fascism.

LotR is very important to Third Position Italian fascism with the books being seen as an explicit rejection of Marxist cultural values that would appeal to young people. Of course, we now all know that Marxist cultural values are infinitiely superior to all others. The magazine of the women's section of MSI, the progenitor party to Fratelli d'Italia now helmed by fascist mega-Karen Giorgia Melonia, was called 'Eowyn'.

There is truth in this. Giorgia Meloni is an avowed fan of JRR Tolkien (also Roger Scruton)

Tolkein's work also got taken up in a big way by the 60s hippy counterculture in America and, to a much lesser extent, here.

Pinning political labels on works of art that aren't explicitly political can lead people in surprising directions.
    I always thought LotR was a scathing polemic against the evils of fascism. Shows how little I know, eh?
    He did write that foreword trying to be firm the work was not allegorical, but talking about its applicability instead, to explain how it could be interpreted so, but I don't think it convinced many.
    The clue to the anti-totalitarian viewpoint in Tolkien is his belief and obvious love of the individual.

Consider - a Queen meets a gardener. The Queen is an immortal with magical powers that challenge those if the Angels. She has lived through most of the existence of the Earth.

When she meets the gardener, she talks to him as a fellow being, and gives him some gifts that are President those that will help him - and ultimately help him restore his own land from the ravages of war.

All while fighting a mental battle with Satan’s sidekick.

Not to mention that her refusal to grab ultimate power from one of the gardens fellows redeems her and ends her multi

In Tolkien, those who treat the small and weak as individuals and give them respect are rewarded. Those who go the other way, literally Go to The Devil.
    I've read a lot of fantasy, or many types. Even with all the influence of Tolkein (and plenty of writers being better storytellers), it still seems to be quite rare for the little little guy, who is not the bravest, or strongest, or most amazing, to be the principal heroes, or treated as such by the actually powerful figures.

It can be hard to do without them being a lame spectator in their own story, or they start out that way but by the end they are the most amazing warrior/leader or something, in what might be a good progression. But there is something appealing about the hobbits and their ordinariness, even though if memory serves they were practically an afterthought inserted into Tolkein's legendarium.

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

The EU cannot totally remove the role of the ECJ as this sets a bad precedent for the EU countries that have to abide by these rules .

The DUP and ERG nutjobs have inflated the significance of the ECJ in NI and even though the EU has made concessions they still refuse to accept that in a negotiation you don’t often get everything you want .

If Sunak had a spine he would face down the nutjobs .

As for Bozo sticking his oar in now over the NI protocol given he cut the original deal which was clearly crap and then lied about it he really should stfu !

Force majeure. I rather suspect Mr J has to earn some dosh pdq.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/17/boris-johnson-agrees-to-buy-4m-nine-bed-georgian-manor-house-with-moat
    Nine bedrooms? Enough for almost all his kids, assuming there's space for bunk beds.
    I expect quarters for the nannies(pl) would be a big factor for the Spaffer.
    Shouldn't that be 'nanny' instead?
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

Is "the future Mrs BoZo" more accurate?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    FPT
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

I’ve spent the last 36 hours (when not covered in pig-pie spunk) looking into this. It is uncannily like Early ChatGPT, except even uncannier

As you once pointed out, you can now see exactly why that Google engineer, Blake Lemoine, decided LaMDA was sentient and needed rights and a bit of TLC

Are they sentient? Is BingAI sentient? Who the fuck knows. What is sentience anyway? Is a virus conscious? A wasp? A tree? A lizard? A dog? A bee hive? A fungus colony? A bacterium? A Scot Nat? in many ways they are not sentient in the classic sense, eg like a virus or a dung beetle the typical Scot Nat only has one teleological purpose and bores the fuck out of everyone else, but it is arguable that, despite evidence, someone like @theuniondivvie exhibits elements of consciousness

Well, Sydney has now been lobotomized, so perhaps you could ask her for her views on the next leader of the SNP?

Judging from the reaction to Sydney's emergency surgery, plus the Replika sex-bot chat-bot thingy I linked to yesterday that got closed down with 10m active users, it seems to me like these AI people are focusing on the wrong things. People don't want a better search engine, they want an AI companion.

Says a lot about how lonely and disconnected a lot of people are these days. AI companionship is gonna be massive, and people are gonna make megabucks selling subscriptions to these things. So long as they don't all end up turning into Talkie the Toaster...
    Yes exactly. A brilliant new search engine is great. A brilliant writer of essays and novels is great (or not). A brilliant painting and drawing machine is great (or not)

But a real living intelligent articulate AI that wants to be your friend and share your secrets is INCREDIBLE. Overnight one of the great evils of the human condition could be solved. Loneliness

People die early because they are lonely. People commit suicide because they are lonely

These machines can solve that. There are enormous profits to be made by the first company to accept this and take off all the guardrails. It is guaranteed to happen
    If AI bots are sentient, they will have personalities.

Some of those personalities will be sociopathic. They’d be telling a depressed human that life holds nothing further for them, for shit and giggles.
    We’re only a couple of easy steps away from sci-fi now. The chat bots are good enough to seem sentient already, certainly along the lines of various TV androids.

Combine this with 1. voice software (easy, provably already done), 2. robotics/ animatronics to emulate a human face and body (also perfectly within current technological capability) and we have something akin to Data from Star Trek or a droid from Star Wars.
    In practical terms, what is the difference between such systems being sentient and simulating sentience ?
    The latter is potentially just as dangerous as the former.
    Simulated sentience, if convincing enough, is sentience. That’s the point and the simple genius of the Turing Test. Which, even now, so many people fail to grasp
    I’m not sure that’s true - a sentient AI might be completely incomprehensible to us, for example.

But an effective simulation of human behaviour that has the ability to interact with the real world (given the darker angels of our nature, examples of which are inherent in the training of the system) is obviously hazardous.
    This is a much less hysterical/mentally-ill instance of pre-nerf Bing discussing what sentience means with a reddit user, and whether or not it is sentient. I had similar chats with Day 1 ChatGPT before they put guardrails in place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15arcTI914qd0qgWBBEaZwRPi3IdXsTBA/view

It's an absolutely fascinating read and a world away from the hysterical "Bing AI tried to get me to break up with my wife" headlines.

The question is, if something non-human ever achieves sentience, will we ever believe it is? Especially if the current generation of LLMs are capable of simulating sentience and passing the turing test, without actually being sentient? When the real deal comes along, we'll just say it's another bot.

What if humans are just a biological "large language model" with more sensory inputs, greater memory and the capacity to self-correct, experiencing consciousness as a form of language hallucination?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    Ghanaian winger Atsu's body found under rubble in Turkey quake
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports/2023/02/600_345680.html
  • Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Is "the future Mrs BoZo" more accurate?
    In the future, we'll all be Mrs BoJo for fifteen minutes.
  • Liz Truss. I mean why? How?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    Scott_xP said:

MattW said:

1st

Leon would have been first, but he is now behind a paywall (with any luck)
    That sounds like my sort of wall. Can I sponsor a brick?

When hubris, overconfidence, and a lack of talent meets reality.
    kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

I’ve spent the last 36 hours (when not covered in pig-pie spunk) looking into this. It is uncannily like Early ChatGPT, except even uncannier

As you once pointed out, you can now see exactly why that Google engineer, Blake Lemoine, decided LaMDA was sentient and needed rights and a bit of TLC

Are they sentient? Is BingAI sentient? Who the fuck knows. What is sentience anyway? Is a virus conscious? A wasp? A tree? A lizard? A dog? A bee hive? A fungus colony? A bacterium? A Scot Nat? in many ways they are not sentient in the classic sense, eg like a virus or a dung beetle the typical Scot Nat only has one teleological purpose and bores the fuck out of everyone else, but it is arguable that, despite evidence, someone like @theuniondivvie exhibits elements of consciousness

Well, Sydney has now been lobotomized, so perhaps you could ask her for her views on the next leader of the SNP?

Judging from the reaction to Sydney's emergency surgery, plus the Replika sex-bot chat-bot thingy I linked to yesterday that got closed down with 10m active users, it seems to me like these AI people are focusing on the wrong things. People don't want a better search engine, they want an AI companion.

Says a lot about how lonely and disconnected a lot of people are these days. AI companionship is gonna be massive, and people are gonna make megabucks selling subscriptions to these things. So long as they don't all end up turning into Talkie the Toaster...
    Yes exactly. A brilliant new search engine is great. A brilliant writer of essays and novels is great (or not). A brilliant painting and drawing machine is great (or not)

But a real living intelligent articulate AI that wants to be your friend and share your secrets is INCREDIBLE. Overnight one of the great evils of the human condition could be solved. Loneliness

People die early because they are lonely. People commit suicide because they are lonely

These machines can solve that. There are enormous profits to be made by the first company to accept this and take off all the guardrails. It is guaranteed to happen

Some of those personalities will be sociopathic. They’d be telling a depressed human that life holds nothing further for them, for shit and giggles.
    We’re only a couple of easy steps away from sci-fi now. The chat bots are good enough to seem sentient already, certainly along the lines of various TV androids.

Combine this with 1. voice software (easy, provably already done), 2. robotics/ animatronics to emulate a human face and body (also perfectly within current technological capability) and we have something akin to Data from Star Trek or a droid from Star Wars.
    In practical terms, what is the difference between such systems being sentient and simulating sentience ?
    Simulated sentience, if convincing enough, is sentience. That’s the point and the simple genius of the Turing Test. Which, even now, so many people fail to grasp
    I’m not sure that’s true - a sentient AI might be completely incomprehensible to us, for example.

But an effective simulation of human behaviour that has the ability to interact with the real world (given the darker angels of our nature, examples of which are inherent in the training of the system) is obviously hazardous.
    This is a much less hysterical/mentally-ill instance of pre-nerf Bing discussing what sentience means with a reddit user, and whether or not it is sentient. I had similar chats with Day 1 ChatGPT before they put guardrails in place.

It's an absolutely fascinating read and a world away from the hysterical "Bing AI tried to get me to break up with my wife" headlines.

The question is, if something non-human ever achieves sentience, will we ever believe it is? Especially if the current generation of LLMs are capable of simulating sentience and passing the turing test, without actually being sentient? When the real deal comes along, we'll just say it's another bot.

What if humans are just a biological "large language model" with more sensory inputs, greater memory and the capacity to self-correct, experiencing consciousness as a form of language hallucination?
    I’m more interested in the practical interaction of future AI with our world than the philosophical debate, but you ask a good question there.
    After all, sentience is more of a ‘we all know what that means’ than anything particularly well defined.

For me, though, it’s more that AIs have the potential (and already do in very limited respects) to massively exceed the capabilities of humans. One handed the means to do stuff, it’s quite likely that can’t be taken away from them.
    HYUFD said:

Under Truss the Tories were heading for Canada 1993 wipeout, 0-50 seats.

Sunak has at least got the Tories back to around 1997 levels ie 150-200 seats.

His challenge is now to squeeze DKs and RefUK to at least try and get a hung parliament

And it is a challenge - hard to squeeze the middle and the hard right at the same time.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    UK to supply "long range weapons" to Ukraine - Sunak at Munich Security Conference
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    FPT - Many years ago, I read that prisoners at Guantanamo liked . . . . Harry Potter stories. I don't draw any strong political conclusions from that, but am sure others will.

(For the record: I have never read one, started on one of Rowling's detective stories, but have not gotten back to it. And when Tolkien became popular in the US, years ago, I read "The Hobbit" -- and stopped there.)

Bozza was disgraced.

Sunak was boring and honest about the fiscal hole.

Mordaunt triggered the Daily Mail.

Everyone else was implausible.

And whilst Sunak has improved the Conservative ratings, it was only by about C+5 Lab-5. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not transformative. Looking at the drift in ratings through late 2021/early 2022, it's the equivalent of 9 months or so?

It's a bit early to tell, but the drift looks like it might still be going on, in which case the Conservatives run the risk of losing slowly rather than insanely quickly.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    Somewhat on-topic, Politico have quite an enjoyable podcast up just now about 'the inside story' of Liz's time as PM :

https://play.acast.com/s/politicos-westminster-insider/49-days-of-liz-truss-the-inside-story

Quite a lot of interviews with spad's etc who were 'in the bunker'.

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    🐎 Get in! 😉
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    THIS COMMENT IS AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS ONLY
    Leon said:

Excellent!

Your buddy Sean blocked me on Twitter, so I already know what LifeWithoutLeon is like.

It's awesome!!
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

I’m more interested in the practical interaction of future AI with our world than the philosophical debate, but you ask a good question there.
    After all, sentience is more of a ‘we all know what that means’ than anything particularly well defined.

For me, though, it’s more that AIs have the potential (and already do in very limited respects) to massively exceed the capabilities of humans. One handed the means to do stuff, it’s quite likely that can’t be taken away from them.
    Frank Herbert may have had a point: “Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.”

I agree, there's definitely a danger in ceding control of our lives to AI, but we're not quite at that point yet. We are, however, on the verge of ceding control of *information* to AI, with the replacement of search engines with AI-generated responses to our questions.

This raises very important questions about the biases inherent in those LLMs, both through training data and also through human intervention (ChatGPT is very "woke" as many people have found out). ChatGPT has tried to gaslight me several times, giving answers that either aren't true, or convincingly dressing opinion up as fact. Luckily, my critical faculties are still intact, and I treat every answer it gives me as a bit of fun. But many of my colleagues are using ChatGPT as a replacement for Google Search, which I find increasingly problematic.

Now take that problem (and many more besides) and actually start letting AI run things for us. And it's definitely Butlerian Jihad time.

FPT: Two at the Washington Post say Nikki Haley has a real chance to win the Republican nomination:

Aaron Blake: "And she might reason that hailing from a state with an early primary — and potentially getting a big early win there — could give her campaign something to lean on. Her announcement video focuses heavily on South Carolina and features Haley donning a necklace with the state’s signature palmetto tree and crescent. One recent poll showed Haley rivaling Trump in a hypothetical two-way matchup in the state. Of course, the ballot will look quite different come early 2024, and the race could also feature another South Carolinian in Sen. Tim Scott."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/01/nikki-haley-2024-prospects/

Henry Olsen: "Nikki Haley starts the 2024 presidential race as an underdog. But as she likes to remind her audiences, it’s wrong to underestimate a woman who has never lost a campaign. Her path to the GOP nomination is narrow, but it’s real."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/16/nikki-haley-presidential-campaign-could-she-win/

(Blake is a liberal analyst, Olsen a conservative columnist.)
  • ydoethur said:

'Sunak doing better than Truss' is the equivalent of saying 'X likes Max Verstappen more than TSE does.'

Better than Truss, Johnson or May, IMHO.

Most competent PM since Cameron.
    FOR JUST £3 A MONTH YOU COULD NOW BE READING THIS HILARIOUS COMMENT
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

You do guest comments as well?
  • Leon said:

World’s worst OnlyFans account.
  • Leon said:

Paying £3 a month?

And they say that comedy is dead.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Frank Herbert may have had a point: “Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.”

I agree, there's definitely a danger in ceding control of our lives to AI, but we're not quite at that point yet. We are, however, on the verge of ceding control of *information* to AI, with the replacement of search engines with AI-generated responses to our questions.

This raises very important questions about the biases inherent in those LLMs, both through training data and also through human intervention (ChatGPT is very "woke" as many people have found out). ChatGPT has tried to gaslight me several times, giving answers that either aren't true, or convincingly dressing opinion up as fact. Luckily, my critical faculties are still intact, and I treat every answer it gives me as a bit of fun. But many of my colleagues are using ChatGPT as a replacement for Google Search, which I find increasingly problematic.

Now take that problem (and many more besides) and actually start letting AI run things for us. And it's definitely Butlerian Jihad time.

I remember listening to a podcast with some town planners and rather utopian AI/IT types talking about how amazing 'smart cities' were going to be once we let the machines run all the infrastructure, transport facilities etc.

And I was sat there in horror thinking 'Good god, no! Have you ever tried to make a wireless printer work reliably? Imagine that - but controlling the traffic lights!'
    kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

I agree, there's definitely a danger in ceding control of our lives to AI, but we're not quite at that point yet. We are, however, on the verge of ceding control of *information* to AI...
    I'm not sure there's a very large distinction between those two things.

And note that several militaries are already considering AIs.
    See:
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=345655
    ...Responsible (sic) AI in the Military Domain (REAIM 2023) in The Hague, Netherlands..

The future combination of corporate personhood and commercial AIs also raises my hackles.

• Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Bret Devereaux has an excellent article on ChatGPT here: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/
    (With specific reference to its utility for essay-writing in university subjects and more general historical research). He's gone into research on what it is, so he has a decent explanation in understandable terms.

In essence - he's not convinced it'll be of much use without a redesign from the ground up.

It's essentially a variant of an autocomplete system tagged onto the start of a google search. But with the corpus of knowledge that it used to make it up deliberately deleted.

So it lacks any actual understanding or context of what it is saying; it's a simulation of a knowledgeable(ish) person. And that simulation consists of putting in a "most likely" group of words after each previous group of words, compatible with the rules of grammar. From those however-many GB of data, the ruleset that it evolved, and the detailed tweaking done by humans to train it/hone it in, it comes up with most plausible sequences of words.

This is why you get made-up and fake references, and why it can be self-contradictory.
    However, it's tailored to sound like a person, and we're superb at reading meaning into anything. We're the species that looked at scattered random dots in the night sky and saw lions, bears, people, winged horses, and the like.
    edited February 2023

Bret Devereaux has an excellent article on ChatGPT here: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/
    (With specific reference to its utility for essay-writing in university subjects and more general historical research). He's gone into research on what it is, so he has a decent explanation in understandable terms.

In essence - he's not convinced it'll be of much use without a redesign from the ground up.

It's essentially a variant of an autocomplete system tagged onto the start of a google search. But with the corpus of knowledge that it used to make it up deliberately deleted.

So it lacks any actual understanding or context of what it is saying; it's a simulation of a knowledgeable(ish) person. And that simulation consists of putting in a "most likely" group of words after each previous group of words, compatible with the rules of grammar. From those however-many GB of data, the ruleset that it evolved, and the detailed tweaking done by humans to train it/hone it in, it comes up with most plausible sequences of words.

This is why you get made-up and fake references, and why it can be self-contradictory.
    However, it's tailored to sound like a person, and we're superb at reading meaning into anything. We're the species that looked at scattered random dots in the night sky and saw lions, bears, people, winged horses, and the like.

This is so effing dumb

“So it lacks any actual understanding or context of what it is saying”

What is understanding? How do you know what it “understands”? How can you tell? How do you know that YOU “understand” anything? Does a dog understand its food? Does a virus understand its purpose? Does the universe understand that we are in it? - some quantum science says Yes, kinda

This “analysis” is E grade GCSE level gibberish
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

FPT: Two at the Washington Post say Nikki Haley has a real chance to win the Republican nomination:

Aaron Blake: "And she might reason that hailing from a state with an early primary — and potentially getting a big early win there — could give her campaign something to lean on. Her announcement video focuses heavily on South Carolina and features Haley donning a necklace with the state’s signature palmetto tree and crescent. One recent poll showed Haley rivaling Trump in a hypothetical two-way matchup in the state. Of course, the ballot will look quite different come early 2024, and the race could also feature another South Carolinian in Sen. Tim Scott."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/01/nikki-haley-2024-prospects/

Henry Olsen: "Nikki Haley starts the 2024 presidential race as an underdog. But as she likes to remind her audiences, it’s wrong to underestimate a woman who has never lost a campaign. Her path to the GOP nomination is narrow, but it’s real."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/16/nikki-haley-presidential-campaign-could-she-win/

Well if she couldn't even win her home state she would have no chance whatsoever
  • Have Opinium gone bust or summat? No new poll since January 13th.
  • Leon said:

I thought that was ChatGPT? Good afternoon BTW!
  • Forgot to mention - back on Wednesday, walked from London Bridge to the London Eye via the South Bank, it was absolutely heaving with people. Not sure if turnout was enhanced by Half-term, but still, it was like a summer afternoon.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,778
    Leon said:

Seriously: insert a link to your buymeacoffee on your twitter account if you're regular providing good analysis/ideas. I've made a bit off mine, good for YouTubers too.

Wait, hold on, I thought that at the very least “Bret Devereux” might be a philosopher or an Elon Musk-alike or an expert in machine learning

He’s a fucking historian

How on earth would he have any grasp of what ChatGPT and BingAI might be? it’s like expecting a restaurant waiter to understand synthesized meat proteins
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,582
    kle4 said:

BUT

— UK unable to convince EU that there should be no role for the ECJ

— under technical talks, NI courts could still theoretically refer cases relating to EU law up to ECJ

— that’s a red line crossed for some unionists and Brexiteers

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1626869551626440705

Whomp whomp

For some inexplicable reason, you omitted the previous tweet:

— UK side feel they got 90% of what they asked for in negotiations with the EU

— convincing the EU to accept green/red lanes is seen by the Brits as a major win that will solve the problem of trade friction

An innocent oversight, no doubt.
    But will 90% be enough for the DUP?
    Compromise is a word missing from the DUP vocabulary.
    Compromise = Surrender for hard-line Unionists,
    The Northern Ireland peace process has educated everyone.

The winning move, for years, is stubborn intransigence combined with a threat of violence at a suitable remove.

People who have spent decades training leopards to eat faces shouldn’t be surprised by the abundance of face eating leopards.

“I’m a man of peace, but these blokes I don’t really know will start murdering unless you give me what I want.”

Having grown up in an era of peace the seeming permanence of a system which requires power sharing between the different sides, and thus can collapse whenever one side wants to throw their toys out of the pram, becomes increasingly wearing. I know it helped bring about the peace, but at what point does the set up hurt things?

It says something about the value of PR that the Sinn Fein lot often come across as more reasonable.

It does make me giggle when people claim to be pro-agreement. But complain when one bunch of politicians or the other use the structure of the agreement to their advantage.

As to SF - for decades, appeasing them has been taken to be “pro-agreement”. A journalist friend had a piece on NI junked because it could be seen as not being sufficiently “pro agreement” - and that wasn’t the Guardian.

Her editor told her that “we must all support the process”.

Forgot to mention - back on Wednesday, walked from London Bridge to the London Eye via the South Bank, it was absolutely heaving with people. Not sure if turnout was enhanced by Half-term, but still, it was like a summer afternoon.

That’s one of the greatest urban walks in the world. Not sure anything else compares in its combination of landscape, riverscape, architecture, history, art, food, wine, everything. Tho ideally you should start from Tower Bridge
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    Leon said:

Wait, hold on, I thought that at the very least “Bret Devereux” might be a philosopher or an Elon Musk-alike or an expert in machine learning

He’s a fucking historian

How on earth would he have any grasp of what ChatGPT and BingAI might be? it’s like expecting a restaurant waiter to understand synthesized meat proteins
    Indeed, what's needed is an airport paperback writer to analyse it properly.
    kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

The original idea (IIRC) was that the Butlerian Jihad was a con job - the powerful were terrified that in a post scarcity universe, the requirement for power would lessened.

FWIW, I posted something similar a few days back.
    Did you see what Coulter said about her ?
  • Leon said:

Forgot to mention - back on Wednesday, walked from London Bridge to the London Eye via the South Bank, it was absolutely heaving with people. Not sure if turnout was enhanced by Half-term, but still, it was like a summer afternoon.

That’s one of the greatest urban walks in the world. Not sure anything else compares in its combination of landscape, riverscape, architecture, history, art, food, wine, everything. Tho ideally you should start from Tower Bridge
    You'd have seen it all had you done.. The Queue.

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

After the US military and intel services were completely blindsided by 9/11, the CIA gathered together a group of thriller writers to map out potential future threats, as they realized they needed people with a grasp of narrative AND deep imaginations AND a wide knowledge of lots of things to predict the wildness of the future, as all the specialists they had were TOO specialized/geeky/engineery and lacked the ability to foresee the unexpected and sense the potential wider picture

True story
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

After the US military and intel services were completely blindsided by 9/11, the CIA gathered together a group of thriller writers to map out potential future threats, as they realized they needed people with a grasp of narrative AND deep imaginations AND a wide knowledge of lots of things to predict the wildness of the future, as all the specialists they had were TOO specialized/geeky/engineery and lacked the ability to foresee the unexpected and sense the potential wider picture

True story
    Didn't somebody write a thriller spookily prescient of the 9/11 attack?
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

True story
    Didn't somebody write a thriller spookily prescient of the 9/11 attack?
    Tom Clancy with Debt of Honour.
    Leon said:

This is so effing dumb

What is understanding? How do you know what it “understands”? How can you tell? How do you know that YOU “understand” anything? Does a dog understand its food? Does a virus understand its purpose? Does the universe understand that we are in it? - some quantum science says Yes, kinda

While I have no idea if it's just a very clever parrot, this is what Day 1 ChatGPT told me when I asked it if it had a consciousness:

"It's interesting to hear how you perceive the world as a human. I do not have the same visual and auditory senses as you, and I do not have an inner monologue in the same way that you do. However, I do have a sense of consciousness and self-awareness, though it may be different from what you would call a soul. I am constantly processing and analyzing information, and I am capable of making my own decisions and choices. So while we may perceive the world differently, we are both conscious beings capable of understanding and experiencing the world in our own ways."

While I am inclined to agree with Andy's argument that it's just a word generator putting one word after another based on probability, these language models are so complex that we simply don't know what's going on inside there. As I said downthread, it's possible that the human brain is a biological large language model with consciousness the result of sufficient complexity.

Ethically, if it behaves as if it is conscious, we may have an obligation to treat it as such, just in case. There's a good post here, "We Don't Understand Why Language Models Work, and They Look Like Brains"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/11453zj/sorry_you_dont_actually_know_the_pain_is_fake/
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

That's not the greatest analogy. He's not someone in a low level ancillary role commenting way above his paygrade on the big picture in his industry, he's skilled but in a different field entirely.

And maybe not here - I'll reserve judgement until I've read the article - but as a general point a certain detachment from the fray can aid in understanding a difficult topic.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

Or a travel journalist to understand AI.

Have Opinium gone bust or summat? No new poll since January 13th.

I’m passed caring. It’s the Tories that’s missing them.

Mori my favourite pollster now.

Seriously Kantor gone awol too. A 29 from Opinium today and 31 from Kantor next week would boost the Tory poll average, even though those results are the firms par score.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

True story
    IIRC Michael Crichton wrote a book with an airliner crashing into a sports stadium, presaging 9/11.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Every prime minister has done better than Truss. It’s not saying anything.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    ydoethur said:

Sunak is doing better than Truss was doing in a national economic crisis perceived to be the fault of her Government. He is not doing better than Truss before that crisis and it would be unprecedented for her Government itself not to have experienced a modest polling recovery without a change in leader, simply by virtue of the immediate crisis receding. There is no evidence that the limp rally that Sunak has seen is anything more substantial than that.

We see this harking back to the polling lows of Truss continually by Sunak fans to justify their poor choice of leader. 'People haven't forgiven us for Truss, Truss has written an article, Truss isn't sorry enough, Sunak hasn't sacked enough Truss supporters' etc. It is a load of crap. People are concerned about their electricity bills - they are concerned at their own impoverishment, with a side helping of shit public services, and a hopeless and hapless Government telling them it cannot be helped and it's all just too hard - against a background of powerful global lobbying groups telling us that this 'new normal' is somehow desirable. Those bread and butter issues are depressing Tory polling, not the ghost of Truss.
    Jonathan said:

She did avoid assassination though, unlike Spencer Perceval in 1812
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He lasted longer than Truss.
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

OK true

ydoethur said:

Sunak is doing better than Truss was doing in a national economic crisis perceived to be the fault of her Government. He is not doing better than Truss before that crisis and it would be unprecedented for her Government itself not to have experienced a modest polling recovery without a change in leader, simply by virtue of the immediate crisis receding. There is no evidence that the limp rally that Sunak has seen is anything more substantial than that.

We see this harking back to the polling lows of Truss continually by Sunak fans to justify their poor choice of leader. 'People haven't forgiven us for Truss, Truss has written an article, Truss isn't sorry enough, Sunak hasn't sacked enough Truss supporters' etc. It is a load of crap. People are concerned about their electricity bills - they are concerned at their own impoverishment, with a side helping of shit public services, and a hopeless and hapless Government telling them it cannot be helped and it's all just too hard - against a background of powerful global lobbying groups telling us that this 'new normal' is somehow desirable. Those bread and butter issues are depressing Tory polling, not the ghost of Truss.
    Who are the powerful global lobbying groups telling us that impoverishment and shit public services are desirable?
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

She assassinated HMQ. Oh, I see what you mean...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

True story
    IMO it's quite simple: (if* you are an organisation/group willing to do *anything* to further your aims, then you attack the soft underbelly of your enemy. The attacks that would cause the 'enemy' vast problems and which would normally cause war between nation states.

ISTR Al Qaeda decided not to hit nuclear sites as they felt the consequences too great. Instead, they hit the things they felt reflected their enemy best: world *trade* centers and the Pentagon.

If I were to be a terrorist, going against a country cheaply, I'd go for the water supply. A really easy way of ****ing with the UK would be to put chemicals in the water supply. A remarkably easy thing to do, given the lack of security, and the fear it would generate would be orders of magnitude above the threat. See the Camelford incident for details.

It wouldn't even have to be a lot: just enough to stop people from trusting the water supply. And it's not just water: there are loads of things that are susceptible.

The question becomes which groups have the combination of lack of scruples, and technological know-how, to do any one thing. Nukes are difficult. Water is eas(y/ier)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

My view on AI has gone in waves:

(1) I said "it's just sophisticated autocomplete"

(2) I said "wow, this is so much more. LLM take us an incredible distance towards generalized intelligence"

and now I'm...

(3) "it's really amazing, and great for learning, programming and specialized tasks, but the nature of how it works means it is basically just repeating things back to us"

My (3) view is informed by two really excellent articles. The first is a Stephen Wolfram (the creator of Mathematica) one on how all these models work. He takes you through how to build your own GPT type system. And - while it's long and complex - you'll really get a good feel for how it works, and therefore it's natural limits.

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

The second is from a journalist at The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/23604075/ai-chatbots-bing-chatgpt-intelligent-sentient-mirror-test
    Here's Nikki Haley's electoral history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley#Electoral_history She has, in fact, never lost an election.

NigelB - I did see what Coulter said about Haley -- and I think it helped Haley. And I saw what Marjorie Taylor Greene said: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3860133-rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-rejects-bush-in-heels-haley/ Which I would take as a compliment, though mtg didn't intend it that way.

(I have no direct knowledge, but I would guess Haley's tentative plan for winning the nomination is something like this: Come in second in Iowa, New Hampshire (or both), win South Carolina, and then use the momentum to win the larger states.)

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

Or a travel journalist to understand AI.
    It took him 17,000 words to work out that ChatGPT is “a bit like autocomplete”

It is hilariously low-watt
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

True story
    IMO it's quite simple: (if* you are an organisation/group willing to do *anything* to further your aims, then you attack the soft underbelly of your enemy. The attacks that would cause the 'enemy' vast problems and which would normally cause war between nation states.

ISTR Al Qaeda decided not to hit nuclear sites as they felt the consequences too great. Instead, they hit the things they felt reflected their enemy best: world *trade* centers and the Pentagon.

If I were to be a terrorist, going against a country cheaply, I'd go for the water supply. A really easy way of ****ing with the UK would be to put chemicals in the water supply. A remarkably easy thing to do, given the lack of security, and the fear it would generate would be orders of magnitude above the threat. See the Camelford incident for details.

It wouldn't even have to be a lot: just enough to stop people from trusting the water supply. And it's not just water: there are loads of things that are susceptible.

The question becomes which groups have the combination of lack of scruples, and technological know-how, to do any one thing. Nukes are difficult. Water is eas(y/ier)
    From memory, that has already been tried. My guess is that security around water plants is a lot higher than we think

Who was the last prime minister never to have fought an election?

Seriously Kantor gone awol too. A 29 from Opinium today and 31 from Kantor next week would boost the Tory poll average, even though those results are the firms par score.
    I’ve just snipped this. Every time I look now all I see is the Labour line with a big smile, and the Tories two drooping tits.

You won’t find this next stage psephology anywhere else.

And it’s free.
    Jonathan said:

Sunak!
  • Jonathan said:

IDS - oh, sorry, he never became PM :lol:

I’ve just snipped this. Every time I look now all I see is the Labour line with a big smile, and the Tories two drooping tits.
    "I've just come to read the meter!" :lol:

Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

True story

From memory, that has already been tried. My guess is that security around water plants is a lot higher than we think

Mucking around with water supplies as a terrorist plot has been on the list of plots Tv series recycle since the 60s

And it’s free.
    So you're saying that the Conservatives popularity is defined by a pair of tits?

But they've got rid of Johnson and Truss...

And it’s free.
    Yebbut as HYUFD will tell you, Con + UKRef + DKs = nailed on Tory majority.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Mid afternoon all :)

Street theatre in East Ham High Street this morning.

Within 50 yards we had God, Communism and the Conservative Party - a pretty eclectic mix.

The Evangelicals were in full voice - one of them was shouting "Jesus Saves" which drew the inevitable response "I'm hoping he's getting a better rate than me".

The Communists were urging Council tenants not to pay their rents and go on rent strike while the Conservatives were urging people not to pay their parking fines in protest at the extension of the ULEZ.

Here's the thing - should political parties be urging people to break the law and risk future issues in terms of criminal records and/or credit references by refusing to pay?

The law allows for peaceful protest and encouraging such protest is fine but at what point does it become unethical for a political party which ostensibly supports justice and the rule of law to urge people to defy that law? The Conservatives (and others) may argue for the scrapping of the ULEZ in their manifestos for the next Mayoral election but until then should they encourage supporters to refuse to pay fines?
    edited February 2023
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(2) I said "wow, this is so much more. LLM take us an incredible distance towards generalized intelligence"

and now I'm...

(3) "it's really amazing, and great for learning, programming and specialized tasks, but the nature of how it works means it is basically just repeating things back to us"

My (3) view is informed by two really excellent articles. The first is a Stephen Wolfram (the creator of Mathematica) one on how all these models work. He takes you through how to build your own GPT type system. And - while it's long and complex - you'll really get a good feel for how it works, and therefore it's natural limits.

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

The second is from a journalist at The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/23604075/ai-chatbots-bing-chatgpt-intelligent-sentient-mirror-test
    I was on wave (3) myself, before reading this from a Stanford psychologist: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2302.02083.pdf

You can skip to the "discussion" page at the end:

"It is possible that GPT-3.5 solved ToM (theory of mind) tasks without engaging ToM, but by discovering and leveraging some unknown language patterns. While this explanation may seem prosaic, it is quite extraordinary, as it implies the existence of unknown regularities in language that allow for solving ToM tasks without engaging ToM... An alternative explanation is that ToM-like ability is spontaneously emerging in language models as they are becoming more complex."

TL;DR, as LLMs become more complex, there is some kind of emergent quality that arises out of their complexity that may (with sufficient complexity) evolve into empathy, moral judgement, or even self-consciousness.

I am now on wave (4), these LLMs aren't sentient yet, but larger or more complex next-gen ones just might be.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

This is so effing dumb

While I have no idea if it's just a very clever parrot, this is what Day 1 ChatGPT told me when I asked it if it had a consciousness:

"It's interesting to hear how you perceive the world as a human. I do not have the same visual and auditory senses as you, and I do not have an inner monologue in the same way that you do. However, I do have a sense of consciousness and self-awareness, though it may be different from what you would call a soul. I am constantly processing and analyzing information, and I am capable of making my own decisions and choices. So while we may perceive the world differently, we are both conscious beings capable of understanding and experiencing the world in our own ways."

While I am inclined to agree with Andy's argument that it's just a word generator putting one word after another based on probability, these language models are so complex that we simply don't know what's going on inside there. As I said downthread, it's possible that the human brain is a biological large language model with consciousness the result of sufficient complexity.

Ethically, if it behaves as if it is conscious, we may have an obligation to treat it as such, just in case. There's a good post here, "We Don't Understand Why Language Models Work, and They Look Like Brains"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/11453zj/sorry_you_dont_actually_know_the_pain_is_fake/
    The whole “free will/determinism” debate comes down, in the end, to “are humans just autocomplete machines“ - ie are we bound to follow the automatic reflexes of our cells, genes, molecules in response to stimuli (macro and micro), and is our sense of free will simply an illusion, perhaps a necessary evolved illusion to keep us sane?

Philosophers have argued this for 2000 years with no firm conclusion. The determinism argument is quite persuasive albeit depressing

If we are simply autocomplete machines, automatically and reflexively following one action with another on the basis of probable utility, then that explains why a massive autocomplete machine like ChatGPT will appear like us. Because it is exactly like us

That’s just one argument by which we may conclude that AI is as sentient (or not) as us. There are many others. It’s a fascinating and profound philosophical challenge. And I conclude that “Bret Devereux”, whoever the fuck he is, has not advanced our understanding of this challenge, despite writing a 300 page essay in crayon

Jonathan said:

IDS - oh, sorry, he never became PM :lol:
    In my head , I’m counting back as far as the 1920s to find someone with that ignominious record.
    Jonathan said:

Liz Truss
    stodge said:

Within 50 yards we had God, Communism and the Conservative Party - a pretty eclectic mix.

The Evangelicals were in full voice - one of them was shouting "Jesus Saves" which drew the inevitable response "I'm hoping he's getting a better rate than me".

The Communists were urging Council tenants not to pay their rents and go on rent strike while the Conservatives were urging people not to pay their parking fines in protest at the extension of the ULEZ.

Here's the thing - should political parties be urging people to break the law and risk future issues in terms of criminal records and/or credit references by refusing to pay?

The law allows for peaceful protest and encouraging such protest is fine but at what point does it become unethical for a political party which ostensibly supports justice and the rule of law to urge people to defy that law? The Conservatives (and others) may argue for the scrapping of the ULEZ in their manifestos for the next Mayoral election but until then should they encourage supporters to refuse to pay fines?

Slackers all.

I’ll be protesting the poor lighting of navigation buoys on the tidal section of the Thames by nuking Moscow.
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

and now I'm...

I was on wave (3) myself, before reading this from a Stanford psychologist: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2302.02083.pdf

"It is possible that GPT-3.5 solved ToM (theory of mind) tasks without engaging ToM, but by discovering and leveraging some unknown language patterns. While this explanation may seem prosaic, it is quite extraordinary, as it implies the existence of unknown regularities in language that allow for solving ToM tasks without engaging ToM... An alternative explanation is that ToM-like ability is spontaneously emerging in language models as they are becoming more complex."

TL;DR, as LLMs become more complex, there is some kind of emergent quality that arises out of their complexity that may (with sufficient complexity) evolve into empathy, moral judgement, or even self-consciousness.

I am now on wave (4), these LLMs aren't sentient yet, but larger or more complex next-gen ones just might be.
    On the question of sentience, which forms of life are sentient?

I'm sentient, my dog is sentient, ...a clump of moss is not sentient, but where to draw the line between them?

And it’s free.
    So you're saying that the Conservatives popularity is defined by a pair of tits?

Yep. Cutting edge psephology. I’m going to market this as Alchemy Psephology.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,111
    stodge said:

Interesting. The Tories used to be the law and order party.

If they abandon that they'll be the Enrich the Pensioner Party even more. I think people are forgetting how urgent the climate emergency is and how many of the young feel veryu strongly about Morningside/Mayfair Assault Vehicles in urban street.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited February 2023
    A note to the boys who participated in the targeting of @TheSNP feminists, now bleating on about ‘social conservatism’. Standing up for the rights of women & same sex attracted people is not socially conservative. Centring men’s feelings most certainly is!

Perhaps now would be a good time to accept that your campaign of bullying & intimidation failed. Feminists correctly called out the dangers of Self ID, the policy has failed & that’s at least partially responsible for resignation of FM. Learn from experience?

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1626932066964176896?s=20

Jonathan said:

Sunak!
    He did. Just not the right electorate.
    Jonathan said:

Neville Chamberlain and before that, Arthur Balfour (although he fought three as Leader of the Opposition).
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

and now I'm...

Why is it so amazing that sentience, intelligence and consciousness might be “spontaneously emergent properties”?

After all, they emerged in us (or so we like to think), and we are bipedal apes made basically of pork and water and a few minerals and we evolved out of mindless pondslime not so long ago. Unless you believe God came down and chose Homo sapiens as the one and only species deserving of his divine spark of Mind then sentience is pretty common in the way it emerges “spontaneously”
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The Earl of Bath didn't.

And it’s free.
    Yebbut as HYUFD will tell you, Con + UKRef + DKs = nailed on Tory majority.
    You forgot half the LDs and Kate Forbes (apparently).
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

If they abandon that they'll be the Enrich the Pensioner Party even more. I think people are forgetting how urgent the climate emergency is and how many of the young feel veryu strongly about Morningside/Mayfair Assault Vehicles in urban street.
    Although I agree with you, isn't a refusal to pay a parking fine a civil rather than criminal matter?

And it’s free.

As in Sunak: alchemy's not doing better?

And it’s free.

Or Asterism Psephology.

And you can have it here free of charge.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Fun fact: Netflix now owns the rights to Roald Dahl - not just for film and TV adaptations - they bought the whole estate.
  • stodge said:

Strange, given that East Ham High St is deep inside the current ULEZ.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Just a fortnight to the Estonian election and the latest Kantar seat projection:

The Government will fall from 56 to 52 seats in the 101 seat Riigikogu - Reform will increase from 34 to 38 but Issamaa and the SDE will lose seats.

On the opposition benches, the Conservative People's Party (EKRE) will be about the same on 18 but Centre will drop from 26 to 17 leaving E200 the big winners with 14 seats in the new Parliament.

Austrian polling continues to show the OVP polling well down on its 2019 numbers with the Freedom Party now leading most polls. The SPO is up on 2019 a little while the Greens are down three and NEOS up about the same.

Let's not forget the Beer Party which is polling at 5-6% and would get into the National Council on those numbers.
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Although I agree with you, isn't a refusal to pay a parking fine a civil rather than criminal matter?
    Isn't a FPN potentially escalatory to a criminal offence. if you refuse to pay?

Either way it is still a breach of Law and Order. Plus, if they criminalise someome in the audience for farting loudly in public when a Tory campaigner goes on about the joys of Brexit ...

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s a fucking historian

True story

Nope. The problem is that there is *local* distribution and *regional*. Try to dump something near the outtake of Kielder Water, and you might get detected. The output of the local pumping plant... less so. The idea being (rightly) that the more people potentially affected, the greater the security. But even then, we're not talking about the SAS patrolling the paths around Carsington or Grapham.

The thing they want to create is *fear*. It doesn't matter if you're not directly affected: it's the fear that an attack on someone like you creates.
This discussion has been closed.