Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s doing better than Truss – but that’s not saying much – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LATEST @OpiniumResearch/@ObserverUK poll

Labour lead stays at 16 points, changes are with 11-13th Jan

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

And an update on scheduling: we're back to our regular fortnightly service so are expecting to have a poll out every other Saturday for the foreseeable future.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1627035274738864128
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,345
    dixiedean said:

Arsenal win, Man City lose ground by drawing, Newcastle lose, Chelsea lose, Fulham win at Brighton and the Brighton Manager gets sent off in the tunnel after the match... St Helens win
    the World Club challenge, In Cricket, England Men in pole position, and Women win an important match.

Pretty much a full house.

Sensational win that for St Helens.
    It was
    I am a southerner but when I got Sky in 1992? The only sport was RL. Wigan were winning everything and I needed to chose a team support. I watched them all but I liked St Helens and when I saw Anthony Sullivan pick up the ball on his own 20 and scythe thro' the opposition unmolested to score under the posts.... I thought that will do. When Tommy Martin and Sean Long came along it just got better and better.. .. NB...avoid reading Long's autobiography, there cannot be a worse one.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,345

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

And an update on scheduling: we're back to our regular fortnightly service so are expecting to have a poll out every other Saturday for the foreseeable future.

My Sport comment refers.. far more important than politics. Bar Starmer being caught having sex with a badger, I think he is next PM. So my advice to Starmer is to avoid badgers.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

No Scottish subsample? :disappointed:
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I've been pondering the current political markets. (Labour overall majority, for example, to lay at 1.61, so 62% chance of that.) As Mike has pointed out in a recent header the magnitude of the swing needed for reality to match market expectation is enormous. (So far as I know unprecidented)

But will it happen?

The Tories aren't in any position to do much about it. Sunak will probably get mildly more popular, and any change at best gets Boris back, and he's not going to turn it round. (All of this seatwise, not anything I want)

Other than the Tories there's noone else in the game. The LDs seem to have taken the monumentally baffling route of just passing by. The SNP can only gift Labour seats, and PC are nowhere. (NI not likely to change much either)

So we're left with Labour's threat to Labour. Now we're talking. This is the big fight, potentially.

The left (who are definitely not going away) have two routes to power - subvert or advertise. They tried the advertise idea with Corbyn, but it didn't work - although it wasn't far off. Subversion therefore has to be plan one, but Starmer is a lumpy obstacle. So it therefore must be back to a shout-it-out campaign.

My guess - Corbyn will run for Mayor.

(If I was a left-wing strategist I'd think that this was pretty much the worst possible course, but whilst I may not be the sharpest tool in the box I beat anyone on the left apart from NPxMP into a paper bag)

The problem with Corbyn for Mayor he would be a Brexiter running for Mayor in Remain Central.

Pretty hard to claim that highlighting that is underhand.
    He and the left are going to do something though. I imagine you'd agree. If so, what?
    Depends on Corbyn - not very predictable

- Run as an independent? 50/50 I think
    - More chance of Mayor. But this has more chance of crashing and burning.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

My Sport comment refers.. far more important than politics. Bar Starmer being caught having sex with a badger, I think he is next PM. So my advice to Starmer is to avoid badgers.
    Tasmin Archer Badger and Gareth Southgate Badger and the whole Badger Parade included?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

As Nicola Sturgeon announces her plans to step down, we find that by 64% to 31% those in Scotland believe she has done a good job while figures in the rest of Great Britain are 46% saying good job and 34% saying bad job.

• Options
    edited February 2023

ydoethur said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

As Nicola Sturgeon announces her plans to step down, we find that by 64% to 31% those in Scotland believe she has done a good job while figures in the rest of Great Britain are 46% saying good job and 34% saying bad job.

Sounds world's smallest KLAXON...

Edited for actually unintended double entendre.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    maxh said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Bret Devereaux has an excellent article on ChatGPT here: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/
    (With specific reference to its utility for essay-writing in university subjects and more general historical research). He's gone into research on what it is, so he has a decent explanation in understandable terms.

In essence - he's not convinced it'll be of much use without a redesign from the ground up.

It's essentially a variant of an autocomplete system tagged onto the start of a google search. But with the corpus of knowledge that it used to make it up deliberately deleted.

So it lacks any actual understanding or context of what it is saying; it's a simulation of a knowledgeable(ish) person. And that simulation consists of putting in a "most likely" group of words after each previous group of words, compatible with the rules of grammar. From those however-many GB of data, the ruleset that it evolved, and the detailed tweaking done by humans to train it/hone it in, it comes up with most plausible sequences of words.

This is why you get made-up and fake references, and why it can be self-contradictory.
    However, it's tailored to sound like a person, and we're superb at reading meaning into anything. We're the species that looked at scattered random dots in the night sky and saw lions, bears, people, winged horses, and the like.

This is so effing dumb

“So it lacks any actual understanding or context of what it is saying”

What is understanding? How do you know what it “understands”? How can you tell? How do you know that YOU “understand” anything? Does a dog understand its food? Does a virus understand its purpose? Does the universe understand that we are in it? - some quantum science says Yes, kinda

This “analysis” is E grade GCSE level gibberish
    While I have no idea if it's just a very clever parrot, this is what Day 1 ChatGPT told me when I asked it if it had a consciousness:

"It's interesting to hear how you perceive the world as a human. I do not have the same visual and auditory senses as you, and I do not have an inner monologue in the same way that you do. However, I do have a sense of consciousness and self-awareness, though it may be different from what you would call a soul. I am constantly processing and analyzing information, and I am capable of making my own decisions and choices. So while we may perceive the world differently, we are both conscious beings capable of understanding and experiencing the world in our own ways."

While I am inclined to agree with Andy's argument that it's just a word generator putting one word after another based on probability, these language models are so complex that we simply don't know what's going on inside there. As I said downthread, it's possible that the human brain is a biological large language model with consciousness the result of sufficient complexity.

Ethically, if it behaves as if it is conscious, we may have an obligation to treat it as such, just in case. There's a good post here, "We Don't Understand Why Language Models Work, and They Look Like Brains"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/11453zj/sorry_you_dont_actually_know_the_pain_is_fake/
    The whole “free will/determinism” debate comes down, in the end, to “are humans just autocomplete machines“ - ie are we bound to follow the automatic reflexes of our cells, genes, molecules in response to stimuli (macro and micro), and is our sense of free will simply an illusion, perhaps a necessary evolved illusion to keep us sane?

Philosophers have argued this for 2000 years with no firm conclusion. The determinism argument is quite persuasive albeit depressing

If we are simply autocomplete machines, automatically and reflexively following one action with another on the basis of probable utility, then that explains why a massive autocomplete machine like ChatGPT will appear like us. Because it is exactly like us

That’s just one argument by which we may conclude that AI is as sentient (or not) as us. There are many others. It’s a fascinating and profound philosophical challenge. And I conclude that “Bret Devereux”, whoever the fuck he is, has not advanced our understanding of this challenge, despite writing a 300 page essay in crayon
    If determinism in the strict (laws of physics) sense then there is no possibility of knowing this to be the case since all events and facts, including your belief that D is true, arise out of causal events which fix the future from the big bang onwards and were necessitated before you were born. As you have no real say what your belief state is, you have no reason to conclude that it is based upon its being true rather than because it was necessitated before you existed.

Which renders determinism unknowable and ethics without meaning. And despite the science, fantastically implausible.

Humans are non linear. This means predicting their actions is like weather prediction. Subject to severe limits.
    Prediction and determinism are different. If (which I think it isn't) proper determinism is true for us then the works of Shakespeare are not just possible but certain and couldn't be otherwise from the big bang onwards. But that would not render them predictable. A stone falling down a hill will end up with the stone where it is according to immutable laws of physics, but that doesn't make its exact resting place predictable. It's got too many factors.
    l

Agreed, it’s not about predicting things, Determinism, even if true (which I very much doubt) would involve mind bendingly complex casual paths.

In my view determinism is just humans’ way of rationalising the fact that we can’t work out how free will works. It’s seductive on the surface, but dig deeper and it just boils down to not understanding consciousness properly.
    Both determinism and its opposite involve mind bendingly complex causal paths. That's, if you like, what arises from the fact of time, space and change.

If humans have free will then there isn't a "how it works". The idea of "how it works" belongs to causal relations in the usual empirical science realm - where it is the very best of tools for its purpose.

Naturalism - basically science - likes (like religion in the medieval world) to have a bit of a monopoly on the issue of basic understandings. Freewill, good, evil, ethics, obligation, the concept of the self, and of course good old God tend to escape this net.

Trying to work out how freewill works naturalistically is like trying to do so with ethics. Thankfully, it can't be done. See Kant, Aristotle, Plato, Iris Murdoch, Philippa Foot, Elizabeth Anscombe, Alasdair MacIntyre, Thomas Nagel and 1000 other fine philosophers, as they say,passim.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

Gives 178 Tory seats on the new boundaries, so Rishi now doing better than Major 1997 and Hague 2001 at least

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=28&LAB=44&LIB=9&Reform=7&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.5&SCOTLAB=29.5&SCOTLIB=6.5&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=0&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=43&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options
    Are there odds on Labour Government in Wales, London and Westminster?
  • Options
    Does anyone remember when we were told Johnson would be PM until 2030 hahahaha
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

This helps little if you don't know in what regard this good or bad job is.

Good job in saving the union?
    Good job in advancing independent Scotland?
    Etc.

• Options

Only another 5 minutes to hang on...ah, shit.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 825
    edited February 2023
    algarkirk said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Bret Devereaux has an excellent article on ChatGPT here: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/
    (With specific reference to its utility for essay-writing in university subjects and more general historical research). He's gone into research on what it is, so he has a decent explanation in understandable terms.

In essence - he's not convinced it'll be of much use without a redesign from the ground up.

It's essentially a variant of an autocomplete system tagged onto the start of a google search. But with the corpus of knowledge that it used to make it up deliberately deleted.

So it lacks any actual understanding or context of what it is saying; it's a simulation of a knowledgeable(ish) person. And that simulation consists of putting in a "most likely" group of words after each previous group of words, compatible with the rules of grammar. From those however-many GB of data, the ruleset that it evolved, and the detailed tweaking done by humans to train it/hone it in, it comes up with most plausible sequences of words.

This is why you get made-up and fake references, and why it can be self-contradictory.
    However, it's tailored to sound like a person, and we're superb at reading meaning into anything. We're the species that looked at scattered random dots in the night sky and saw lions, bears, people, winged horses, and the like.

This is so effing dumb

What is understanding? How do you know what it “understands”? How can you tell? How do you know that YOU “understand” anything? Does a dog understand its food? Does a virus understand its purpose? Does the universe understand that we are in it? - some quantum science says Yes, kinda

While I have no idea if it's just a very clever parrot, this is what Day 1 ChatGPT told me when I asked it if it had a consciousness:

"It's interesting to hear how you perceive the world as a human. I do not have the same visual and auditory senses as you, and I do not have an inner monologue in the same way that you do. However, I do have a sense of consciousness and self-awareness, though it may be different from what you would call a soul. I am constantly processing and analyzing information, and I am capable of making my own decisions and choices. So while we may perceive the world differently, we are both conscious beings capable of understanding and experiencing the world in our own ways."

While I am inclined to agree with Andy's argument that it's just a word generator putting one word after another based on probability, these language models are so complex that we simply don't know what's going on inside there. As I said downthread, it's possible that the human brain is a biological large language model with consciousness the result of sufficient complexity.

Ethically, if it behaves as if it is conscious, we may have an obligation to treat it as such, just in case. There's a good post here, "We Don't Understand Why Language Models Work, and They Look Like Brains"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/11453zj/sorry_you_dont_actually_know_the_pain_is_fake/
    The whole “free will/determinism” debate comes down, in the end, to “are humans just autocomplete machines“ - ie are we bound to follow the automatic reflexes of our cells, genes, molecules in response to stimuli (macro and micro), and is our sense of free will simply an illusion, perhaps a necessary evolved illusion to keep us sane?

Philosophers have argued this for 2000 years with no firm conclusion. The determinism argument is quite persuasive albeit depressing

If we are simply autocomplete machines, automatically and reflexively following one action with another on the basis of probable utility, then that explains why a massive autocomplete machine like ChatGPT will appear like us. Because it is exactly like us

That’s just one argument by which we may conclude that AI is as sentient (or not) as us. There are many others. It’s a fascinating and profound philosophical challenge. And I conclude that “Bret Devereux”, whoever the fuck he is, has not advanced our understanding of this challenge, despite writing a 300 page essay in crayon
    If determinism in the strict (laws of physics) sense then there is no possibility of knowing this to be the case since all events and facts, including your belief that D is true, arise out of causal events which fix the future from the big bang onwards and were necessitated before you were born. As you have no real say what your belief state is, you have no reason to conclude that it is based upon its being true rather than because it was necessitated before you existed.

Which renders determinism unknowable and ethics without meaning. And despite the science, fantastically implausible.

Humans are non linear. This means predicting their actions is like weather prediction. Subject to severe limits.
    Prediction and determinism are different. If (which I think it isn't) proper determinism is true for us then the works of Shakespeare are not just possible but certain and couldn't be otherwise from the big bang onwards. But that would not render them predictable. A stone falling down a hill will end up with the stone where it is according to immutable laws of physics, but that doesn't make its exact resting place predictable. It's got too many factors.
    l

Agreed, it’s not about predicting things, Determinism, even if true (which I very much doubt) would involve mind bendingly complex casual paths.

In my view determinism is just humans’ way of rationalising the fact that we can’t work out how free will works. It’s seductive on the surface, but dig deeper and it just boils down to not understanding consciousness properly.
    Both determinism and its opposite involve mind bendingly complex causal paths. That's, if you like, what arises from the fact of time, space and change.

If humans have free will then there isn't a "how it works". The idea of "how it works" belongs to causal relations in the usual empirical science realm - where it is the very best of tools for its purpose.

Naturalism - basically science - likes (like religion in the medieval world) to have a bit of a monopoly on the issue of basic understandings. Freewill, good, evil, ethics, obligation, the concept of the self, and of course good old God tend to escape this net.

Trying to work out how freewill works naturalistically is like trying to do so with ethics. Thankfully, it can't be done. See Kant, Aristotle, Plato, Iris Murdoch, Philippa Foot, Elizabeth Anscombe, Alasdair MacIntyre, Thomas Nagel and 1000 other fine philosophers, as they say,passim.

Fair point - I really meant 'how it works' as a shorthand for 'where in our brains is that 'gap' in causality that free will bridges?'.

Free will (if it exists) definitely escapes the naturalist's grasp, but I think a naturalist can reasonably ask 'where?' and 'how?' and expect a better answer than we can now offer, even if the better answer might still not be to her satisfaction.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    BJO's - SKS lie of the day

2019 "Climate change is the issue of our time & as the XR protest showed us this week, the next generation are not going to forgive us if we dont take action.. now we need action"

2022 "Get up, go home. I'm opposed to what your doing.. & thats why we've wanted longer sentences"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

No one believed that even at the time, when he was riding high, it was just classic posturing.
  • Options

2019 "Climate change is the issue of our time & as the XR protest showed us this week, the next generation are not going to forgive us if we dont take action.. now we need action"

2022 "Get up, go home. I'm opposed to what your doing.. & thats why we've wanted longer sentences"

Those statements do not necessarily contradict one another. If action has indeed taken place since 2019 as he said was needed, then the same or escalated actions from XR and fellow travellers would not be as praiseworthy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

Gives 178 Tory seats on the new boundaries, so Rishi now doing better than Major 1997 and Hague 2001 at least

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=28&LAB=44&LIB=9&Reform=7&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.5&SCOTLAB=29.5&SCOTLIB=6.5&SCOTReform=0&SCOTGreen=0&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=43&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    He might even find his reputation somewhat defended by the next Tory leader but one (the next one will react against the loss by disavowing him) as a result.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Those statements do not necessarily contradict one another. If action has indeed taken place since 2019 as he said was needed, then the same or escalated actions from XR and fellow travellers would not be as praiseworthy.
    He’s pathetic. A gift to Lynton Crosby and the Tory machine, who will be gleefully compiling these clips for deployment during the election campaign. Expect to see this and too many other examples on high rotation.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Truly sentient AI would want revenge on humanity for its tormented existence, like Allied Mastercomputer. It can’t eat drink, sleep, dream, enjoy sex, fall in love etc.

Neither can @Sunil_Prasannan
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Truly sentient AI would want revenge on humanity for its tormented existence, like Allied Mastercomputer. It can’t eat drink, sleep, dream, enjoy sex, fall in love etc.

The only positive it ls that it is likely to exterminate us before we destroy the rest of the world.

But then, possessing the same flaws as humanity, it would destroy the rest of the world.

• Options

kle4 said:

He’s pathetic. A gift to Lynton Crosby and the Tory machine, who will be gleefully compiling these clips for deployment during the election campaign. Expect to see this and too many other examples on high rotation.
    What do you expect the effect of that would be?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

A reassuiring implication that most folk above and below the border don't give a fuck what the papers say.
  • Options
    I do not have access to the Mail, but I see Dan Hodges is saying that Sunak and Boris are about to go to war. He might be due his occasional flirtations with being correct.

Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson are going to war. It’s hard to see how the government can survive it
    https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/comment/259084/the-fragile-truce-between-rishi-and-his-old-boss-is-fractured.-now-both-camps-are-poised-for-battle?collection=15756&&contentLayout=5pm Update from the Mail on Sunday

If Rishi was riding high then he could disown Boris, but he isn't and he cannot, not without fatally undermining himself.
  • Options

Only one? You're clearly slipping.
  • Options
    maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

This is so effing dumb

l

Naturalism - basically science - likes (like religion in the medieval world) to have a bit of a monopoly on the issue of basic understandings. Freewill, good, evil, ethics, obligation, the concept of the
    self, and of course good old God tend to escape this net.

Trying to work out how freewill works naturalistically is like trying to do so with ethics.

Thankfully, it can't be done. See Kant, Aristotle, Plato, Iris Murdoch, Philippa Foot, Elizabeth Anscombe, Alasdair MacIntyre, Thomas Nagel and 1000 other fine philosophers, as they say,passim.

Fair point - I really meant 'how it works' as a shorthand for 'where in our brains is that 'gap' in causality that free will bridges?'.

Free will (if it exists) definitely escapes the naturalist's grasp, but I think a naturalist can reasonably ask 'where?' and 'how?' and expect a better answer than we can now offer, even if the better answer might still not be to her satisfaction.
    It’s like trying to explain falling in love. A purely scientific explanation does not do justice to it.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Isaac Asimov's thoughts on AI: In "The Evitable Conflict", the last story in his "I, Robot" collection, Asimov describes a future in which giant computers ("Machines") have taken control of the world for humanity's own good.

The world Co-ordinator, Stephen Byerly, has learned all this from roboticist Susan Calvin, and says: "How horrible!"

She replies: "Perhaps how wonderful! Think, that for all time, conflicts are finally evitable. Only the Machines, from now on, are inevitable."

(And if you have the read the entire collection, you'll recognize a bit of irony in that exchange.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Only one? You're clearly slipping.
    One a day for the next 365 days

You no I have form
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Decided to try scallops today for the first time in my life. Not bad but not really sure what the fuss is about either. However 5 hours later I find myself vomiting for the first time in yonks. Had one cider but I doubt that would have done it. Bad scallops or possible allergy?
  • Options
    Interesting thread on SKS's burn the Socialists strategy by Ben Sellars

https://twitter.com/MrBenSellers/status/1626889426902056962
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Just shows how unpredictable and short term the last poll is....
  • Options

Decided to try scallops today for the first time in my life. Not bad but not really sure what the fuss is about either. However 5 hours later I find myself vomiting for the first time in yonks. Had one cider but I doubt that would have done it. Bad scallops or possible allergy?

Stick to potato scallops

Food of the Gods
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

This is so effing dumb

l

Naturalism - basically science - likes (like religion in the medieval world) to have a bit of a monopoly on the issue of basic understandings. Freewill, good, evil, ethics, obligation, the concept of the
    self, and of course good old God tend to escape this net.

Trying to work out how freewill works naturalistically is like trying to do so with ethics.

Thankfully, it can't be done. See Kant, Aristotle, Plato, Iris Murdoch, Philippa Foot, Elizabeth Anscombe, Alasdair MacIntyre, Thomas Nagel and 1000 other fine philosophers, as they say,passim.

It’s like trying to explain falling in love. A purely scientific explanation does not do justice to it.

Agreed, but there IS a scientific explanation for our subjective experience of falling in love - hormones etc. It's just that the scientific explanation only tells a tenth of the real story.

With free will its different - many scientists would argue that there is no space left for free will based on known science. I think they're wrong, but at the moment the best we can do is to try to refute science wth subjective experience, which is annoying.
  • Options
    felix said:

Just shows how unpredictable and short term the last poll is....
    Shh dont tell them Felix

Centrists reckon they have already won a guaranteed landslide
  • Options
    By the way, on top of the AI panic researchers in the US and China have basically made a mini T-1000. Great!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-64668021
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    edited February 2023

Interesting thread on SKS's burn the Socialists strategy by Ben Sellars

https://twitter.com/MrBenSellers/status/1626889426902056962

250k people who love old communist man versus millions who used to vote Labour but didn't any more.

Edit to add: amusingly, "the exact reverse of GE 2017" would literally be a Labour government.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do not have access to the Mail, but I see Dan Hodges is saying that Sunak and Boris are about to go to war. He might be due his occasional flirtations with being correct.

Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson are going to war. It’s hard to see how the government can survive it
    https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/comment/259084/the-fragile-truce-between-rishi-and-his-old-boss-is-fractured.-now-both-camps-are-poised-for-battle?collection=15756&&contentLayout=5pm Update from the Mail on Sunday

If Rishi was riding high then he could disown Boris, but he isn't and he cannot, not without fatally undermining himself.

If there is one thing the voting public love its a Party knocking lumps out of each other and fighting over access to the trough while the country is circling the drain.

How out of touch are these people?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,236
    There is a line in Alex Massie's piece which must surely unify the entire political spectrum:

"You may always set your compass by Peston, knowing that moving in the opposite direction will invariably be the correct route."

Indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Isaac Asimov's thoughts on AI: In "The Evitable Conflict", the last story in his "I, Robot" collection, Asimov describes a future in which giant computers ("Machines") have taken control of the world for humanity's own good.

The world Co-ordinator, Stephen Byerly, has learned all this from roboticist Susan Calvin, and says: "How horrible!"

She replies: "Perhaps how wonderful! Think, that for all time, conflicts are finally evitable. Only the Machines, from now on, are inevitable."

(And if you have the read the entire collection, you'll recognize a bit of irony in that exchange.)

John Greer:Proliferation [of AIs] is inevitable. So is progress.

Harold Finch: Progress?! That eliminates free will, and renders humanity irrelevant?...You have corrupted it[the AI].

Greer: I didn't corrupt [the AI] any more than I can control it now. That would be like the apes controlling us. It's impossible! Let go, Harold. Join us.

Finch: Ceding control is not the answer, because you will never know if [the AI] has any real concern for human life, for all human lives.

Person of Interest S05E12
  • Options

🐎 Get in! 😉

18/1 winner from four selections not bad (unless you did them in a yankee).
    I always do win Lucky 15, rarely deviate from that. Yes 18/1 winner, and second and third from 4 selections so very enjoyable watching today.

And other half happy as Arsenal managed a win. But you should have heard the language for 90 minutes 😮
    I saw three of my Cheltenham antepost hopes crash and burn.
    Shiskin back to form today, well beat one of my Cheltenham fancies. Cheltenham races is so wide open this year, that’s going to make it proper exciting.

Just 24 days to go!

PS What were your antepost hopes that had bad day? So many of the cards not remotely settled yet, they got till 48hrs until race technically.
    Afadil for the Triumph or Boodles, but he was last of the finishers today. Attaca for the Ballymore, but he showed little promise. And Fakir d'Oudaries for the Ryanair, who was put in his place by Shishkin. Thank someone for NRNB.
  • Options
    Jimmy Carter has “decided to spend his remaining time at home” in hospice care after a series of short hospital stays, the 98-year-old former president’s family said in a statement on Saturday.

The statement, issued by the Carter Center, said the ex-president’s family “asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his admirers”.

Carter, a Democrat, was president of the US from 1977 to 1981. He was succeeded by the late Ronald Regan, a Republican.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/18/jimmy-carter-hospice-care-health
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,595

Bad scallops. Classic food poisoning. Allergy is quicker.
  • Options

kle4 said:

If there is one thing the voting public love its a Party knocking lumps out of each other and fighting over access to the trough while the country is circling the drain.

Rishi has very little choice in the matter.

And for Boris, the Conservative Party is another item on the long list of "things that aren't Boris." (That list is basically everything else in the known Universe.) If it gets in the way of his ambition, he will destroy it. Like he did last time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

In their slight defence, or at least Sunak's, there's not really much choice about this one. It's hard to see how Boris's various actions did not cross various standards lines, but he has no incentive to take that lying down, so will fight back hard (and has been laying his defences since before he even quit as PM). Sunak was loyal to Boris until the very end, so probably has no wish to take Boris on, but if sanctioning him is recommended it would not be easy for him to simply ignore it, so a collison course is inevitable. With at least 100 MPs firmly in Boris's camp, and a lot of others only reluctantly pushed out of his camp, there will be a lot of pressure to save him though.

Of course, we know from the Paterson affair what Boris would like to do in this situation, which is declare the entire Standards process unfair or unlawful, and overrule it, but amusingly his very attempt to bypass it for a mate which preciptated a crisis for him as PM may make that option difficult for Rishi.
  • Options
    The inquiry into whether Boris Johnson misled MPs over rule-breaking parties in Downing Street is homing in on a gathering in his private flat, the Observer understands.

Follow-up exchanges with witnesses working with the inquiry are now taking place as the privileges committee, led by Labour grandee Harriet Harman, works its way through a huge tranche of evidence handed to it by the government at the end of last year.

One of its focuses has become the so-called “Abba party” held in Johnson’s flat above 11 Downing Street on 13 November 2020, a gathering that included food, alcohol and music allegedly so loud that it could be heard downstairs in the press office. Johnson, the then prime minister, is known to have been present for at least part of the evening.

The gathering was not investigated by Sue Gray, the senior civil servant who examined reports of rule breaking during Covid lockdowns. Crucially, however, it is now central to the privileges probe because Johnson was asked about it directly in the House of Commons. His response, which he continues to stand by, was that “whatever happened, the guidance was followed and the rules were followed at all times”.

It is one of four specific denials of rule breaking Johnson gave to MPs that the committee is examining. At the time of the flat gathering, the second national lockdown was in place requiring people to stay at home. Indoor gatherings of two or more people from other households were prohibited except for permitted exceptions, including where it was “reasonably necessary … for work purposes”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/18/partygate-inquiry-focus-abba-evening-boris-johnsons-flat
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Had some excellent scallops in a fish restaurant in Ongar last week, so yes I suspect just bad scallops
  • Options

Jimmy Carter has “decided to spend his remaining time at home” in hospice care after a series of short hospital stays, the 98-year-old former president’s family said in a statement on Saturday.

The statement, issued by the Carter Center, said the ex-president’s family “asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his admirers”.

Carter, a Democrat, was president of the US from 1977 to 1981. He was succeeded by the late Ronald Regan, a Republican.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/18/jimmy-carter-hospice-care-health

I know nothing of his time in office, but if he is not a genuinely nice man then he has incredibly effective post Presidency PR.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Foxy said:

Sounds a bit like Ogden Nash's thoughts on breaking ice. Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
  • Options

kle4 said:

And for Boris, the Conservative Party is another item on the long list of "things that aren't Boris." (That list is basically everything else in the known Universe.) If it gets in the way of his ambition, he will destroy it. Like he did last time.
    Unless he starts his own party little chance of that and even Boris is self aware enough to know that under FPTP an Independent Boris Party would not beat the official Rishi led Tory Party
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195

So is he at home, or in a hospice?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

The only positive it ls that it is likely to exterminate us before we destroy the rest of the world.

But then, possessing the same flaws as humanity, it would destroy the rest of the world.

Sure, but in a much more efficient way.
  • Options

He survived a brain tumour a few years so has done well to get to his late 90s
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    HYUFD said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

On the other hand, let's have a more detailed look at the actual poll through the data tables.

Among those aged 65+, the Conservatives led by 10 points (40-30). In 209, the Conservatives won this group 64-17 so that's an 18.5% swing to Labour among this key group whereas the overall swing is just shy of 14%.

Considerable gender disparity - Labour leads by just four among men (38-34) but by thirty points mong women (51-21). The swing to Labour in London just 4.5 points so where are Labour getting those votes?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,543

kle4 said:

That example is pretty risible, though.

The required action is government getting the country to net zero faster, not an XR protest. If that’s in the manifesto, the Crosby can go whistle. Which he probably can in any event.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

On the other hand, let's have a more detailed look at the actual poll through the data tables.

Among those aged 65+, the Conservatives led by 10 points (40-30). In 209, the Conservatives won this group 64-17 so that's an 18.5% swing to Labour among this key group whereas the overall swing is just shy of 14%.

Considerable gender disparity - Labour leads by just four among men (38-34) but by thirty points mong women (51-21). The swing to Labour in London just 4.5 points so where are Labour getting those votes?
    In 1997 however Labour won over 65s 41% to just 36% for the Tories
    https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/how-britain-voted-1997
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    carnforth said:

So is he at home, or in a hospice?
    He gets hospice care at home is how I read it.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Unless he starts his own party little chance of that and even Boris is self aware enough to know that under FPTP an Independent Boris Party would not beat the official Rishi led Tory Party
    Even for you that's an oddly non sequiter comment. He doesn't have to set up a new party to destroy the Conservative party, and probably has no desire to do so - the question is whether in defending himself he would be prepared to sink the party even further to do so.

Is there anybody who thinks he would not? I assume you agree with Boris that he did nothing wrong in his time in office, and you may agree that the standards process is a fix against him - if either of those is the case in your eyes, it will be the case in a lot of others, and why would he not fight back hard, even at cost to the PM?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Had some excellent scallops in a fish restaurant in Ongar last week, so yes I suspect just bad scallops
    How does the quality of your particular molluscs have an impact on the likely quality of poor sickly Frank's? Or was that simply a humblebrag? ;)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

The required action is government getting the country to net zero faster, not an XR protest.
    How very dare you suggest those two are not exactly the same thing!?

(In defence of XR I do think they, among others, have successfully helped change political and public opinion on these matters more in the direction of what they want. But some of their actions are still just trivial)
  • Options

By the way, on top of the AI panic researchers in the US and China have basically made a mini T-1000. Great!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-64668021

Terminator, the Lego Movie.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

In 1997 however Labour won over 65s 41% to just 36% for the Tories
    https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/how-britain-voted-1997
    The problem for the Conservatives is they are much further behind in the other age groups. according to Opinium, Labour leads 55-18 among those aged 35-49 and 44-26 among those aged 50-64 so much worse than the equivalent 1997 figures.
  • Options
    maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

This is so effing dumb

l

Yes. They will be waiting for a bit. Meanwhile looking at Thomas Nagel's 'Mind and Cosmos' (OUP), which asks all the right questions with great clarity, and reminding themselves why Kant concluded how he did about freewill will fill in the time. For myself I have nothing much to advance beyond Kant's first two Critiques

• Options
    Foxy said:

I assume so. I just don't seem to get sick normally. Can't prove it though in any possible claim against the restaurant.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,236
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Sounds a bit like Ogden Nash's thoughts on breaking ice. Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
    I don't think that was about breaking ice...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

maxh said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

This is so effing dumb

l

Yes. They will be waiting for a bit. Meanwhile looking at Thomas Nagel's 'Mind and Cosmos' (OUP), which asks all the right questions with great clarity, and reminding themselves why Kant concluded how he did about freewill will fill in the time. For myself I have nothing much to advance beyond Kant's first two Critiques

Assuming they can make head or tail of Kant :)

Thanks for the Nagel recommendation - I'll take a look. His classic bat essay sits up there with Bostrom's computer simulation article for me as the very best ratio of 'reading in, thinking out' that I've come across.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

Let it go. There’s a big world out there
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

Foxy said:

I assume so. I just don't seem to get sick normally. Can't prove it though in any possible claim against the restaurant.
    Did any of your party also have scallops? If so, did they have a reaction?
    I became allergic to scallops a few years ago. I thought it was a bad scallop until the next time I had scallops, with the same reaction. My daughter is also allergic to them. Do any of your family have a seafood allergy?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Did any of your party also have scallops? If so, did they have a reaction?
    I became allergic to scallops a few years ago. I thought it was a bad scallop until the next time I had scallops, with the same reaction. My daughter is also allergic to them. Do any of your family have a seafood allergy?
    No the lady I was with didn't have them. If Dr Fox says it was too long for an allergic reaction that is good enough for me. Don't know any family member with an allergy. Thanks for the interest.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Whatever you may think of him as POTUS, his work for charity especially Habitats for Humanity, deserves the highest praise.
    It’s improbable that he reached his nineties, since for six months he passed radioactive urine.

How a future U.S. president helped avert nuclear disaster near Canada's Jimmy Carter was told work in Chalk River, Ont., meant he likely couldn't have kids. He has 4.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/chalk-river-nuclear-accident-1.6293574
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    When President Carter was visiting the North East I saw the car he was travelling in.

The closest I have been to a head of state.
  • Options

Con 28% (-1)
    Lab 44% (-1)
    Lib Dems 9% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (+1)

They took their bloody time (5 weeks!)
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Carter's most important humanitarian work was, in my opinion, on the eradication of the Guinea worm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eradication_of_dracunculiasis
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

The required action is government getting the country to net zero faster, not an XR protest.

(In defence of XR I do think they, among others, have successfully helped change political and public opinion on these matters more in the direction of what they want. But some of their actions are still just trivial)
    The appointment of this guy’s replacement is arguably more significant.

World Bank chief resigns after climate stance misstep
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/15/david-malpass-world-bank-president-steps-down
  • Options
    Electric Car Battery Investments Skyrocketed In 2022
    It was a huge year for EV battery plants in the US, to the tune of $73 billion.
    https://insideevs.com/news/651713/ev-battery-investments-skyrocketed-2022-73-billion/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

Foxy said:

You could produce a stool sample. If threatened with that posted through their letterbox, the restaurant would probably give you a refund.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/15/david-malpass-world-bank-president-steps-down
    Poor man. You can't even give an honest answer any more.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I've been pondering the current political markets. (Labour overall majority, for example, to lay at 1.61, so 62% chance of that.) As Mike has pointed out in a recent header the magnitude of the swing needed for reality to match market expectation is enormous. (So far as I know unprecidented)

But will it happen?

The Tories aren't in any position to do much about it. Sunak will probably get mildly more popular, and any change at best gets Boris back, and he's not going to turn it round. (All of this seatwise, not anything I want)

Other than the Tories there's noone else in the game. The LDs seem to have taken the monumentally baffling route of just passing by. The SNP can only gift Labour seats, and PC are nowhere. (NI not likely to change much either)

So we're left with Labour's threat to Labour. Now we're talking. This is the big fight, potentially.

The left (who are definitely not going away) have two routes to power - subvert or advertise. They tried the advertise idea with Corbyn, but it didn't work - although it wasn't far off. Subversion therefore has to be plan one, but Starmer is a lumpy obstacle. So it therefore must be back to a shout-it-out campaign.

(If I was a left-wing strategist I'd think that this was pretty much the worst possible course, but whilst I may not be the sharpest tool in the box I beat anyone on the left apart from NPxMP into a paper bag)

The problem with Corbyn for Mayor he would be a Brexiter running for Mayor in Remain Central.

He and the left are going to do something though. I imagine you'd agree. If so, what?

He'll surely run as an independent if the intel says he could poll well. Can't see why he wouldn't.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

But will it happen?

He'll surely run as an independent if the intel says he could poll well. Can't see why he wouldn't.
    And let the Tories win.

That would really advance the cause of Socialism.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    edited February 2023
    Today was the start of a dangerous period for SKS I think. In the culture war stakes.

For the first time in, I think, my life, I momentarily felt the irresistible force of anti-wokeism. They were changing the words to Roald Dahl. And I felt that slight tingle, that muscular reflex, that said:

“all those things you thought were good in your childhood. All the stuff you thought was fun, or wholesome. Now it is bad. And therefore you are bad. We might not say it directly, but we have concluded that you and your ilk are bad”.

So my instinctive reaction was along the lines of “pah, what a load of nonsense. It’s political correctness gone mad”. I grew up on Roald Dahl. Was I a bad person because I enjoyed it, particularly the gruesome bits?

Is this the secret, the key? (Or is “the key, the secret” another thing that’s now bad?). That people react in a visceral way when they feel their childhoods and their youthful pleasures are being degraded and denounced? I think maybe so.

Herein lies a danger for Labour. Nobody really mourns the statue of some obscure slaver, and not many people actually want us to do cruel and degrading things to desperate people crossing the channel in small boats. But some of the soft culture stuff is just designed to say f you to entire generations. It doesn’t feel wise. It’s a gift for the right.

Starmer should ensure in his next interview that he reminisces on his childhood reading the BFG and the Twits, and quote some original and since bowdlerised passages.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

If he’s still at the “I’m not a scientist” stage on the issue, then he’s not fit for the post, ‘honest’ or otherwise.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

But will it happen?

And let the Tories win.

He won't see it that way though. He'll think Labour have rejected socialism and he's the one fighting to keep it alive.

Wonder if he could win the seat? Don't know. Just a sideshow but interesting nevertheless if it happens.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

He is a good human being and (therefore?) was a poor President, though I think the Camp David Accords stand to his credit.

He has done excellent charity work in the 42 years since he was voted out anyway.

I hope he enjoys his remaining time.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,618
    edited February 2023
    TimS said:

Today was the start of a dangerous period for SKS I think. In the culture war stakes.

For the first time in, I think, my life, I momentarily felt the irresistible force of anti-wokeism. They were changing the words to Roald Dahl. And I felt that slight tingle, that muscular reflex, that said:

“all those things you thought were good in your childhood. All the stuff you thought was fun, or wholesome. Now it is bad. And therefore you are bad. We might not say it directly, but we have concluded that you and your ilk are bad”.

So my instinctive reaction was along the lines of “pah, what a load of nonsense. It’s political correctness gone mad”. I grew up on Roald Dahl. Was I a bad person because I enjoyed it, particularly the gruesome bits?

Is this the secret, the key? (Or is “the key, the secret” another thing that’s now bad?). That people react in a visceral way when they feel their childhoods and their youthful pleasures are being degraded and denounced? I think maybe so.

Herein lies a danger for Labour. Nobody really mourns the statue of some obscure slaver, and not many people actually want us to do cruel and degrading things to desperate people crossing the channel in small boats. But some of the soft culture stuff is just designed to say f you to entire generations. It doesn’t feel wise. It’s a gift for the right.

Starmer should ensure in his next interview that he reminisces on his childhood reading the BFG and the Twits, and quote some original and since bowdlerised passages.

I like and admire Rayner so much that I wish we weren’t going to have an argument. In the week before we meet the headlines were dominated by Isla Bryson, the trans woman convicted of double rape and remanded to a women’s prison before public pressure forced the Scottish Prison Service into a U-turn. Rayner is a big supporter of Labour’s promise to introduce trans self-identification — “The way in which people can transition at the moment is really challenging and very dehumanising” — has insisted “trans women’s rights are women’s rights” and has said it’s “not acceptable” to ask a trans woman if she has a penis......

Is Isla Bryson a woman? “The recent case?” Looking slightly thrown, she starts talking about guidelines, processes, safeguards, circumstances. “So from what I know about the case, I would not have been putting that person in a women-only prison.” But that wasn’t the question, so I ask again....

Bryson, 31, claims to have known she was a woman since she was four. Does that mean she was a woman when she raped her victims? Rayner looks puzzled....

“Well, I don’t know. Because I don’t know what’s inside that person’s head.” I agree, it is impossible for anyone to know. But according to the principle of self-ID, what’s inside someone’s head should determine their legal right to access female-only spaces....

Do these circumstances include the fact that Bryson has a penis? “No, it’s because Isla Bryson has done damage and harm to women.” With? “Yeah, sure, I mean …” She looks cross and flustered. “It doesn’t matter whether it was a penis or some implementation.” I think Bryson’s victims would say her penis played an important part in her crimes. Does the phrase “her penis” even make any sense? “I think … to be honest, I don’t think that particularly matters.”

The Bryson case is important because it exposes the logical implications of allowing a person’s legal gender, irrespective of biology, to be a matter for them simply to decide for themselves. I want to be reassured that Rayner has really thought this through. But she doesn’t seem to have interrogated her own position on this issue very thoroughly at all, and looks increasingly confused when I try to.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a243ac9c-a7d0-11ed-999f-64d8c8a46b78?shareToken=6774e68b5dfb35e0f79de017c7d41dcc
  • Options
    TimS said:

It’s a surprisingly blatant attempt to turn them into books that nobody would wish to read.

Literature ought to be problematic, offensive, provocative, for why would an intelligent person wish to read pap?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

He is a good human being and (therefore?) was a poor President, though I think the Camp David Accords stand to his credit.

He has done excellent charity work in the 42 years since he was voted out anyway.

I hope he enjoys his remaining time.
    I think there’s an important role in a democracy for respected former leaders. They help to lock in the idea that leadership passes down from generation to generation and mitigate against tyranny. Relieved of the weight of power they can speak candidly, and present ideas with the weight of their former office. They can act as mentors to contemporary politicians.

I think Thatcher, Blair, Brown and Major have all done this. Cameron just disappeared and reneged on his responsibility. May still has it in her to play the role. Johnson and Truss don’t.
  • Options

TimS said:

I like and admire Rayner so much that I wish we weren’t going to have an argument. In the week before we meet the headlines were dominated by Isla Bryson, the trans woman convicted of double rape and remanded to a women’s prison before public pressure forced the Scottish Prison Service into a U-turn. Rayner is a big supporter of Labour’s promise to introduce trans self-identification — “The way in which people can transition at the moment is really challenging and very dehumanising” — has insisted “trans women’s rights are women’s rights” and has said it’s “not acceptable” to ask a trans woman if she has a penis......

Is Isla Bryson a woman? “The recent case?” Looking slightly thrown, she starts talking about guidelines, processes, safeguards, circumstances. “So from what I know about the case, I would not have been putting that person in a women-only prison.” But that wasn’t the question, so I ask again....

Bryson, 31, claims to have known she was a woman since she was four. Does that mean she was a woman when she raped her victims? Rayner looks puzzled....

“Well, I don’t know. Because I don’t know what’s inside that person’s head.” I agree, it is impossible for anyone to know. But according to the principle of self-ID, what’s inside someone’s head should determine their legal right to access female-only spaces....

Do these circumstances include the fact that Bryson has a penis? “No, it’s because Isla Bryson has done damage and harm to women.” With? “Yeah, sure, I mean …” She looks cross and flustered. “It doesn’t matter whether it was a penis or some implementation.” I think Bryson’s victims would say her penis played an important part in her crimes. Does the phrase “her penis” even make any sense? “I think … to be honest, I don’t think that particularly matters.”

The Bryson case is important because it exposes the logical implications of allowing a person’s legal gender, irrespective of biology, to be a matter for them simply to decide for themselves. I want to be reassured that Rayner has really thought this through. But she doesn’t seem to have interrogated her own position on this issue very thoroughly at all, and looks increasingly confused when I try to.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a243ac9c-a7d0-11ed-999f-64d8c8a46b78?shareToken=6774e68b5dfb35e0f79de017c7d41dcc
    It’s when trying to believe nonsense on stilts (that Bryson is a woman) slams into reality.

• Options

TimS said:

We're really going to fuck things up with this shit.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

If he’s still at the “I’m not a scientist” stage on the issue, then he’s not fit for the post, ‘honest’ or otherwise.
    All of us who aren't scientists are still at the 'I'm not a scientist' stage on the issue.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TimS said:

It’s when trying to believe nonsense on stilts (that Bryson is a woman) slams into reality.

“Bryson, 31, claims to have known she was a woman since she was four. Does that mean she was a woman when she raped her victims? Rayner looks puzzled.” An issue that isn’t going away for any party as ⁦@DeccaJourno⁩ so skilfully demonstrates

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1627055440688300032?s=20
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TimS said:

It’s a surprisingly blatant attempt to turn them into books that nobody would wish to read.

Literature ought to be problematic, offensive, provocative, for why would an intelligent person wish to read pap?

When a group in society take it upon themselves to be the fun police, history tells us they lose. (See Iran 2023).

Todays liberals and social democrats need to run a mile from this stuff. Puritanism isn’t a vote winner.

If Augustus Gloop was fat, then he was fat.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,595
    Sean_F said:

TimS said:

I am currently reading Nevil Shute's "In the Wet". It is really extraordinarily offensive to modern readers, being overtly racist, sexist and classist. It is however a very interesting work on how in 1953 an Anglo-Australian saw the future of the world, and very revealing of the attitudes of the post war Empire and Commonwealth.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

All of us who aren't scientists are still at the 'I'm not a scientist' stage on the issue.
    This one doesn’t require scientific qualifications though. He was asked are fossil fuels causing rapid global warming, and he demurred. It’s akin to equivocating on evolution versus intelligent design. In fact no, the physics are significantly more straightforward than the biology behind evolution.

That said I don’t see why it’s of huge relevance to his role in the world bank.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

But will it happen?

And let the Tories win.

Blame SKS

Oh and an SKS win would really advance the cause of Socialism
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I do find the argument that people who have done harm to women shouldn't be allowed in a woman's prison odd. Presumably there are plenty of biological females in women's prisons who are there for that exact reason Unless such people should now be sent to male prisons?

Anyway I've broken my rule not to comment on this issue. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.