Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The front pages after an eventful day – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2023 in General
imageThe front pages after an eventful day – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    1st like Jezza in Islington North
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    2nd like SKS party in Islington North
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    ydoethur said:

I think the front pages are overstating the damage this does to the cause of independence. Certainly she was its most visible advocate and one of its more formidable ones, but she was as much surfing the tide as making it.

If of course the SNP splits as a result of her departure that may be different, but I can’t see it happening.

I think there might be an element of wishcasting in that coverage.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Rishi is clearly out next
    This is a very strange story.

In praise of the ‘15-minute city’ – the mundane planning theory terrifying conspiracists
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/16/15-minute-city-planning-theory-conspiracists
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Unless the Nats can regroup and get their act together, there is an opening for Labour to get back, in Scotland. There’s a critical support range for the SNP above which they sweep the board and below which they come away with only a few seats. Like the LibDems - who so far have failed to get into it, that range of voteshares is pretty narrow for a party whose support is spread evenly.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    edited February 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Rishi is clearly out next

Actually Harry Brook has just played on so no not Rishi.🤣🤣
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

In praise of the ‘15-minute city’ – the mundane planning theory terrifying conspiracists
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/16/15-minute-city-planning-theory-conspiracists

So it’s a far-right conspiracy theory, but it’s also a brilliant idea and more places should do it?

One for the “Peak Guardian” list.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Unlike when Salmond resigned, it’s clear that there’s not been much in the way of succession planning done by the SNP.

Given how much other parties have been split by leadership changes in recent years, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see something similar now happen with the SNP - especially as their common goal of Scottish independence looks to have slipped away in the medium term, and they face the more practical role of actually running a government and public services.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

So it’s a far-right conspiracy theory, but it’s also a brilliant idea and more places should do it?

Maybe you didn't understood the article?
  • Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

That is not in any way what the article is saying.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    England very dependent on Foakes here to get a competitive score, now that Brook and Duckett have thrown it away when well set.
  • ydoethur said:

England very dependent on Foakes here to get a competitive score, now that Brook and Duckett have thrown it away when well set.

Magnificent timing.
    Bugger. Should have kept my mouth shut, shouldn’t I? England’s score looks 50 light of par here. If Kane Williamson gets going…
  • A declaration? My word.
  • Hoping to get tickets for the Hundred in a few weeks, I've rather enjoyed it the last two years
  • Nigelb said:

That does it, I'm campaigning for Labour in Don Valley.

A declaration? My word.

They still look 50 light of par.

Nigelb said:

That does it, I'm campaigning for Labour in Don Valley.
    Neither you nor they’re to blame when all is said and Don.
  • Hoping to get tickets for the Hundred in a few weeks, I've rather enjoyed it the last two years

Awful, shitty competition.

It is an outrage we're not getting any August Ashes tests because of that competition.

Hoping to get tickets for the Hundred in a few weeks, I've rather enjoyed it the last two years

It is an outrage we're not getting any August Ashes tests because of that competition.
    It was noticeable the Strauss review considered every possible problem with the schedule and system, apart from the fact we lose the best weeks of the season to a loss-making competition that conforms with no known format.
  • ydoethur said:

Hoping to get tickets for the Hundred in a few weeks, I've rather enjoyed it the last two years

It was noticeable the Strauss review considered every possible problem with the schedule and system, apart from the fact we lose the best weeks of the season to a loss-making competition that conforms with no known format.
    I am launching a petition to strip him of his knighthood.
  • Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

No, it is a far-right conspiracy theory that it is a far-left conspiracy.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Surely we should have a closed season from cricket? Even grouse and pheasants and salmon get given a break.
  • Appalling ambulance response times to be fixed by, erm, not sending ambulances.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64653483
  • kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe you didn't understood the article?
    Combination of some "how could you oppose this?" (life would be nicer if everyone had shops, a park, a school, a surgery and so on within walking distance), some "there's a conversation to be had" (discouraging long distance driving taking short cuts through
    residential areas), and some paranoia (WEF will make you stay in your zone).

It's quite a good test of political celebrities. Maybe we should check the other things they've been telling people and see if they follow the same template.

I’ve enjoyed it :(
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    IanB2 said:

Surely we should have a closed season from cricket? Even grouse and pheasants and salmon get given a break.

Nature abhors a cricketing vacuum.
    Key partnership now. England need to break this one early.
    edited February 2023
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

No, it's the far right getting weird about sensible urban planning (which even Leon appreciates).
    Try reading the article.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited February 2023
    Why are so many great TV shows being cancelled?
    Fan favourites are being unexpectedly canned amid complaints of soaring costs, skills shortages and an oversaturated market

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/why-disney-hbo-netflix-cancelling-many-great-shows/ (£££)

Hands up who said Brexit.

“Drama is becoming so expensive, especially in the UK,” explains Ed Waller, editorial director of trade bible C21 Media. “Talent costs are going through the roof – there’s a skills shortage behind the camera and European crews are reluctant to come to the UK post-Brexit. That means we just don’t have enough people to film good drama. The industry is launching training schemes across the business, but it’s going to take a couple of years to skill up. You can expect a strong move from scripted to unscripted shows – reality is back, basically. With the exception of Autumnwatch, obviously, which was canned at the start of the year.”

The American streamers are cutting spending, and without those US dollars, we can't afford to make good telly.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited February 2023
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

It's a very basic and sensible idea that has been around since God Knows When, which has been given a name so some people now have something to shout about.

Been in our planning system for decades - current term is "placemaking", but also under "sustainability" as in sustainable communities (which confuses some 'deep green' people, who think they own the verb). Because people keen on walking and cycling embrace the idea, parts of the car hoon lobby have gone off at the deep end, and because it sounds leftish so have a few Tory MPs.

For a bit further back look, for example, at the book about how liveable human communities can be designed to work well "A Pattern Language", by Christopher Alexander, published in 1977 - which takes an interesting approach identifying a design vocabulary of 'patterns'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Pattern_Language

There's an interesting obsession parallel at the moment about "Floating Bus Stops" (recently given a name) and a blind organisation called National Federation for the Blind UK who have latched onto it and think that bus-stop bypasses behind bus stops are the end of the world. They do not engage with the reality that shopping service roads in London suburbs have been using identical setups since perhaps the 1930s, with the bus stop separated by a service road for cars and vans.

Really imo just people turning idiot into a verb. If the conspiracy people keep obsessing, it will leave space for practical politicians to implement, then the nuts will move on.

Not sure about "Peak Guardian" - the G has similar levels of nuttiness in it every week, from a different angle. Try Zoe Williams.
  • IanB2 said:

Nature abhors a cricketing vacuum.
    Harsh on what goes on between Lord Botham’s lugs.
  • Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I think the front pages are overstating the damage this does to the cause of independence. Certainly she was its most visible advocate and one of its more formidable ones, but she was as much surfing the tide as making it.

If of course the SNP splits as a result of her departure that may be different, but I can’t see it happening.

“An element”. Outstanding understatement.
  • Nicola Sturgeon has been a towering figure at the top of Scottish politics for 16 years: a strong leader, formidable opponent and important feminist role model, persisting despite the vitriol and abuse that sadly is synonymous with being a woman in public life. /

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1625825883444465665?s=46&t=kZucUS2yp_ePLV4Eu_7tuw
  • France outguns British military despite spending less on defence

Britain risks falling behind France as Nato’s foremost military power in Europe, a think tank has warned. France has more combat aircraft, more frigates and more troops than Britain despite spending significantly less on defence

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/france-outguns-uk-military-despite-spending-less-on-defence-20wppspfw (£££)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Fan favourites are being unexpectedly canned amid complaints of soaring costs, skills shortages and an oversaturated market

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/why-disney-hbo-netflix-cancelling-many-great-shows/ (£££)

“Drama is becoming so expensive, especially in the UK,” explains Ed Waller, editorial director of trade bible C21 Media. “Talent costs are going through the roof – there’s a skills shortage behind the camera and European crews are reluctant to come to the UK post-Brexit. That means we just don’t have enough people to film good drama. The industry is launching training schemes across the business, but it’s going to take a couple of years to skill up. You can expect a strong move from scripted to unscripted shows – reality is back, basically. With the exception of Autumnwatch, obviously, which was canned at the start of the year.”

The American streamers are cutting spending, and without those US dollars, we can't afford to make good telly.

I saw a Netflix film being made on Tuesday, and the amount of people and kit around was staggering. I'm unsure the amount of dollars spent equates with 'good telly'.

For instance: I have not watched 'Happy Valley', but people I know love it. It'd be interesting to see what that coss to make in comparison with some of these big-budget series.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

It's a very basic and sensible idea that has been around since God Knows When, which has been given a name so some people now have something to shout about.

Been in our planning system for decades - current term is "placemaking", but also under "sustainability" as in sustainable communities (which confuses some 'deep green' people).

For a bit further back look, for example, at the book about how liveable human communities can be designed to work well "A Pattern Language", by Christopher Alexander, published in 1977 - which takes an interesting approach identifying a design vocabulary of 'patterns'.

There's an interesting obsession parallel at the moment about "Floating Bus Stops" (recently given a name) and a blind organisation called National Federation for the Blind UK who have latched onto it and think that bus-stop bypasses behind bus stops are the end of the world. They do not engage with the reality that shopping service roads in London suburbs have been using identical setups since perhaps the 1930s, with the bus stop separated by a service road for cars and vans.

Really imo just people turning idiot into a verb. If the conspiracy people keep obsessing, it will leave space for practical politicians to implement, then the nuts will move on.

Not sure about "Peak Guardian" - the G has similar levels of nuttiness in it every week, from a different angle. Try Zoe Williams.
    I have come across NFB. They have a curious obsession with the danger posed by cyclists and consistently ignore that from drivers, in the face of all evidence (and basic physics).

I tried to get in touch with them with some data from STATS19 and they blocked me.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068

Appalling ambulance response times to be fixed by, erm, not sending ambulances.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64653483

I was chatting to one of our ambulance drivers yesterday. Paradoxically she thought that the strikes and publicity of long waits had helped the problem as fewer people were calling ambulances unnecessarily and more making it in to ED via their own transport.

I wasn't entirely convinced and do worry about people not calling an ambulance when they really do need one, but interesting.
  • Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Seems to be an abundant supply of the element hopium tbf.
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Been in our planning system for decades - current term is "placemaking", but also under "sustainability" as in sustainable communities (which confuses some 'deep green' people, who think they own the verb). Because people keen on walking and cycling embrace the idea, parts of the car hoon lobby have gone off at the deep end, and because it sounds leftish so have a few Tory MPs.

LTNs too - this isn't a new idea, and the need for them has grown with Google maps becoming a rat run enabler.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

France outguns British military despite spending less on defence

Britain risks falling behind France as Nato’s foremost military power in Europe, a think tank has warned. France has more combat aircraft, more frigates and more troops than Britain despite spending significantly less on defence

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/france-outguns-uk-military-despite-spending-less-on-defence-20wppspfw (£££)

If the MoD put as much effort into managing their procurement programs as they do leaking stories to the media in advance of the defence review we wouldn't be in this shit.
    Dura_Ace said:

If the MoD put as much effort into managing their procurement programs as they do leaking stories to the media in advance of the defence review we wouldn't be in this shit.
    But that would invert the first principle of the civil service.

It may be summed up by that tennis player fondling herself in public.

Whatever your racket, always cover your arse.
  • “For the SNP, Brexit has turned out to be both the casus belli for its second push for independence and a strategic disaster. The best thing that could happen to Scottish nationalism would be for Britain to rejoin the European Union.”

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1626125713450364928?s=20

https://unherd.com/2023/02/scottish-nationalism-will-survive-sturgeon/

That would be - "Britain risks falling behind France as Nato’s foremost military power in western Europe..." Both are going to fall behind Poland before this decade is out.
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

It's an argument about the primacy of the automobile in urban planning that goes back to 1950s America (exemplified by Robert Moses vs Jane Jacobs).
    It's an odd one politically, though, as it tends to cut across conventional party politics.
  • Why are so many great TV shows being cancelled?

I saw a Netflix film being made on Tuesday, and the amount of people and kit around was staggering. I'm unsure the amount of dollars spent equates with 'good telly'.

For instance: I have not watched 'Happy Valley', but people I know love it. It'd be interesting to see what that coss to make in comparison with some of these big-budget series.
    Happy Valley consisted of 18 episodes spread over three series and ten years.

“For the SNP, Brexit has turned out to be both the casus belli for its second push for independence and a strategic disaster. The best thing that could happen to Scottish nationalism would be for Britain to rejoin the European Union.”

Hmmm.

I would have said a modestly sized country leaving a controversial but generally successful Union because reasons and then deciding it can't deal with the economic fallout so it has to rejoin isn't actually the best advert for Scottish independence.

Exhibit A - The Rings of Power.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,763
    edited February 2023

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Logically though it’s hard to see (from a political numbers position, not policy or independence) how the SNP could get materially stronger from here. Sturgeon has done well - so this is a potential disruptive change where the risk is to the SNP and the upside to their opponents
  • I can’t pretend to understand Scottish politics, but it seems to me that very public Tory crowing over Sturgeon’s resignation is not the way to go on. It also says that she was a much more formidable foe than the crowers would care to admit.

Sturgeon standing down may make a difference at the margins, but that in itself is a major achievement when you look at the independence movement in the longer term. Probably around 40% of Scots are now settled in the view that the Union should end. For younger people I bet the number is higher. A decade ago that was not the case. This is largely a Sturgeon achievement, though she got a lot of help from her political enemies.
    Williamson does a Sturgeon and goes unexpectedly.

Suddenly the England score doesn't look so far short of par as I thought.

I can’t pretend to understand Scottish politics, but it seems to me that very public Tory crowing over Sturgeon’s resignation is not the way to go on. It also says that she was a much more formidable foe than the crowers would care to admit.

Sturgeon standing down may make a difference at the margins, but that in itself is a major achievement when you look at the independence movement in the longer term. Probably around 40% of Scots are now settled in the view that the Union should end. For younger people I bet the number is higher. A decade ago that was not the case. This is largely a Sturgeon achievement, though she got a lot of help from her political enemies.

Young Yes voters are just future older No voters, as we've seen since 2014. With Scotland's demographic profile, I'd expect the No vote to increase over the next 50 years, all else held equal.

And, as much as it grates, the 40% was Salmond. He used the referendum to crystallise an independence vote that had probably been there for decades, and nothing much has changed since.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

I can’t pretend to understand Scottish politics, but it seems to me that very public Tory crowing over Sturgeon’s resignation is not the way to go on.

That may well be true, however there are a couple of reasons for optimism.

The separatists are already split, and this might be the catalyst for them to splinter. An acrimonious leadership contest between the fundies and the gradualists is unlikely to further the cause in the short term

The real reason for her departure might be helpful
    DavidL said:

The overwhelming sensation that I got from Sturgeon yesterday was relief; that she had been living with an almost unbearable pressure for too long and putting it aside made her almost giddy.

Indeed.

I wonder how far that goes.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995

Any professional shoot involves what might look like a surprising amount of people, not least because of weird notions like ‘you can shoot a whole film on an iPhone these days’ (there are isolated examples, but they are very specific - broadly speaking you absolutely cannot) that have taken root in the public psyche.

Part of my work involves producing video and TV ads and there is still generally a correlation between what something costs to make and how good it is. In any case, more of the budget on the big marquee series goes into effects, pre- & post-production and paying expensive performers.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    Scott_xP said:

I can’t pretend to understand Scottish politics, but it seems to me that very public Tory crowing over Sturgeon’s resignation is not the way to go on.

The separatists are already split, and this might be the catalyst for them to splinter. An acrimonious leadership contest between the fundies and the gradualists is unlikely to further the cause in the short term

I understand Sunak felling her over the trans issue with his masterful game of 12D chess is the Telegraph and the PB Tory take on Nippy's resignation. My first thoughts were questions over Peter and Nicola"s probity and a story earlier in the week over Police Scotland 's interest in the SNP's funding arrangements.

If she has been scythed down by Sunak's political genius over trans politics, prepare for a swift Conservative lead in the opinion polls.

Scott_xP said:

I understand Sunak felling her over the trans issue with his masterful game of 12D chess is the Telegraph and the PB Tory take on Nippy's resignation. My first thoughts were questions over Peter and Nicola"s probity and a story earlier in the week over Police Scotland 's interest in the SNP's funding arrangements.

If she has been scythed down by Sunak's political genius over trans politics, prepare for a swift Conservative lead in the opinion polls.
    Based on your premise, I'm thinking a 30 point Labour lead is probable.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

I can’t pretend to understand Scottish politics, but it seems to me that very public Tory crowing over Sturgeon’s resignation is not the way to go on. It also says that she was a much more formidable foe than the crowers would care to admit.

Johnson and Brexit were her Recruiting Sergeants. Brexit remains a thorny issue but the Johnson issue has receded. Should he return, I suspect Nicola or no Nicola the demand for a split with England will increase.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    ydoethur said:

Cripes, what a dud this was. And you could see it coming.

So much investment in everything except compelling story. Interesting how the much hokier Star Wars universe actually lends itself to much better storytelling beyond the core narrative than Middle Earth*.

*I know it’s not just Middle Earth, technically.

Speculation that the timing might be due to a story in the Sundays. I guess we will see.

The good news for Nicola is she can always self identify as First Minister whenever she wants
    Jimmy!

One of the many great things about the Stokes/McCullum era is that they're not embarrassed about England's best two bowlers being old enough to be parents of the younger members of the team.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    ydoethur said:

England should start exploring the prospects of Anderson trundling in to bowl in a wheelchair in a few years time. Who else is going to get the wickets?

I find it very hard to judge par in a day night game but it is definitely lower than in normal conditions.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Broad Anderson have a combined 999 wickets between them....
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Johnson and Brexit were her Recruiting Sergeants. Brexit remains a thorny issue but the Johnson issue has receded. Should he return, I suspect Nicola or no Nicola the demand for a split with England will increase.
    The SNP totally wasted Johnson. They should have forced a referendum by any means necessary while his loathsome and corpulent presence was still in No. 10.
  • Stephen Flynn R4 - conference on PretendyRef should be paused until there’s a new leader is in place.
    edited February 2023
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

England should start exploring the prospects of Anderson trundling in to bowl in a wheelchair in a few years time. Who else is going to get the wickets?

I find it very hard to judge par in a day night game but it is definitely lower than in normal conditions.
    I was looking at Anderon's stats just now. In the last five years, he's averaged over thirty in just one season. He's averaged under 20 in around half of them. In his two seasons in the subcontinent, his overall average is a quite extraordinary 15.

What an incredible player he has been. Has to be said, rather in spite of some dreadful mismanagement in his early twenties. Equally, the fact he wasn't grossly overbowled then May be one reason for his longevity.

I suspect he will call time at the end of this summer, but boy we will miss him.

Stephen Flynn R4 - conference on PretendyRef should be paused until there’s a new leader is in place.

The party’s ruling national executive committee pushed back by a week a meeting scheduled for Saturday to discuss the conference. It is understood that local branches have flooded SNP headquarters with amendments.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-did-nicola-sturgeon-resign-gender-bill-trans-law-9h9w02wsk
  • Flynn on R4 keeps focus on cost of living crisis and energy prices. A much smarter operator than the Fat Crofter.
  • Scott_xP said:

Stephen Flynn R4 - conference on PretendyRef should be paused until there’s a new leader is in place.

The party’s ruling national executive committee pushed back by a week a meeting scheduled for Saturday to discuss the conference. It is understood that local branches have flooded SNP headquarters with amendments.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-did-nicola-sturgeon-resign-gender-bill-trans-law-9h9w02wsk
    The whole plan will be "paused" (dropped) as it applies a pre-existing agenda from the now outgoing leader.

Smart opposition parties should be able to capitalise. If the SNP are now rowing back their positions on pushing forward on this can they now focus on actual issues that affect actual people?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

Happy Valley has been superb from start to finish.

Scott_xP said:

The whole plan will be "paused" (dropped) as it applies a pre-existing agenda from the now outgoing leader.

Smart opposition parties should be able to capitalise. If the SNP are now rowing back their positions on pushing forward on this can they now focus on actual issues that affect actual people?
    So the opposition in Scotland will not be able to do anything then?
    Another one for @Morris_Dancer
    The Roman version of the bugle.. always wondered what these might sound like.

The ancient sound of the Roman cornu - a horn used for signalling troop movements and announcing the presence of the emperor in military and civilian settings. Each legion had 36 cornu players, as well as other trumpet and horn players. Imagine the noise!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1625806237601304577
  • Good morning, everyone.

Ah, Rings of Power. The show in which stone forts are held up by ropes.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Ollie Robinson's career average dipped below 20 when he took the first wicket of the innings. There are a few other decent prospects around too - Potts and Mahmood in particular - if they can stay fit.

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Ollie Robinson's career average dipped below 20 when he took the first wicket of the innings. There are a few other decent prospects around too - Potts and Mahmood in particular - if they can stay fit.
    Robinson isn't actually that much younger than Broad though. Only seven years, and with a rather less robust fitness history.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited February 2023
    “Sources”

The source said: “We need to get back on track by pursuing things that matter to the people of Scotland, not pushing stuff that the public is vehemently opposed to.

“I expect the gender reforms to be parked somewhere as quickly as possible. Any sensible new leader will want to get that off the front pages, and quickly.”

Privately, senior figures within the SNP are highly critical of Ms Sturgeon’s failure to groom an obvious successor. They fear an unpopular new SNP leader would cause support for both the party and independence to collapse.

https://archive.ph/2023.02.15-220721/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/15/nicola-sturgeon-brought-trans-row-snp-prepares-rip-gender-bill/

Edit - she had been grooming a successor. Unfortunately he’s been doing some grooming of his own…
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

If the anti homosexual marriage, anti abortion, economically centre right Kate Forbes becomes FM and SNP leader even Boris will look like a leftist liberal in comparison!
    Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Been in our planning system for decades - current term is "placemaking", but also under "sustainability" as in sustainable communities (which confuses some 'deep green' people).

I have come across NFB. They have a curious obsession with the danger posed by cyclists and consistently ignore that from drivers, in the face of all evidence (and basic physics).

I tried to get in touch with them with some data from STATS19 and they blocked me.
    I've been debating with them, and there is no engagement. I think that their vids generally disprove the points they try to make.

They have some comments to make, but the research to deal with their concerns was done in 2015-2016 (ish) around TFL and Greater Manchester, and the TRL.

And we now have good designs for cycle infra in guidelines (at least in England), and the issues are around consistent implementation.

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Cripes, what a dud this was. And you could see it coming.

So much investment in everything except compelling story. Interesting how the much hokier Star Wars universe actually lends itself to much better storytelling beyond the core narrative than Middle Earth*.

*I know it’s not just Middle Earth, technically.
    I gave up less than half way through. It was terrible.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Good morning, everyone.

Ah, Rings of Power. The show in which stone forts are held up by ropes.

Racist.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I was looking at Anderon's stats just now. In the last five years, he's averaged over thirty in just one season. He's averaged under 20 in around half of them. In his two seasons in the subcontinent, his overall average is a quite extraordinary 15.

What an incredible player he has been. Has to be said, rather in spite of some dreadful mismanagement in his early twenties. Equally, the fact he wasn't grossly overbowled then May be one reason for his longevity.

I suspect he will call time at the end of this summer, but boy we will miss him.
    37/3 at stumps. England's night I reckon. They need to get Conway early tomorrow and they can then think about a decent lead.

The 15-minute cities article struck a chord. Why are the pavements so shocking in our towns and cities?

As a wheelchair user I find myself increasingly deciding to wheel along roads in town centres - nice smooth tarmac compared to uneven, unstable, narrow, highly-cambered pavements.

Because nobody spends any money on repairing pavements.
  • ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

So the opposition in Scotland will not be able to do anything then?
    Sarwar sticking to his support for the GRR Bill….while the SNP reportedly preparing to row back…..
  • Mr. B, that's quite a mighty noise. Not quite as alarming as a carnyx, though.

It also reminds me of a Spartan quote about other armies having drums and trumpets to get the soldiers riled up, while the Spartan army had flutes and pipes to calm them down.

The 15-minute cities article struck a chord. Why are the pavements so shocking in our towns and cities?

As a wheelchair user I find myself increasingly deciding to wheel along roads in town centres - nice smooth tarmac compared to uneven, unstable, narrow, highly-cambered pavements.

Pavements are something of an afterthought for British roads, because pedestrians have right of way to use the road itself. So, really, they're a courtesy for cars to keep pedestrians out of their way.
    edited February 2023
    About the only thing I can think of to say in favour of the Opposition in Scotland is they're not quite so shockingly inept as the Opposition in Wales.

But that's a bit like saying somebody is less of a threat to world peace than Vladimir Putin.
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

Because nobody spends any money on repairing pavements.
    I think pavement parking is gong to be a big issue when the road law review comes around, as is blocking of cycle lanes. Especially around difficulty of enforcement / laws which are a mess.

I currently have a van regularly parked 90% across the pavement which is the walking route to the local primary school, and to the shops. Council can't enforce as it is not marked double yellow or zone, and is not yet adopted. Police generally aren't interested.

Plus there is a Transport Select Committee into Accessibility in Transport at present.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

About the only thing I can think of to say in favour of the Opposition in Scotland is they're not quite so shockingly inept as the Opposition in Wales.

But that's a bit like saying somebody is less of a threat to world peace than Vladimir Putin.

Boris got the highest Conservative voteshare in Wales for 50 years in 2019 and Andrew RT got the highest Conservative voteshare in a Senedd election in 2021 since the Welsh Assembly was created
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Logically though it’s hard to see (from a political numbers position, not policy or independence) how the SNP could get materially stronger from here. Sturgeon has done well - so this is a potential disruptive change where the risk is to the SNP and the upside to their opponents
    LOL
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Boris got the highest Conservative voteshare in Wales for 50 years in 2019 and Andrew RT got the highest Conservative voteshare in a Senedd election since the Welsh Assembly was created in 2021
    A phrase about low bars and limbo dancing mice springs to mind.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343

“For the SNP, Brexit has turned out to be both the casus belli for its second push for independence and a strategic disaster. The best thing that could happen to Scottish nationalism would be for Britain to rejoin the European Union.”

This is about right I think. The departure of NS makes no difference to the big question of Scottish independence - there was and is no foreseeable route to it because of: Brexit, history, economics and, critically, the Scottish voters don't want it.

It makes a lot of difference to quotidien Scottish and UK politics. NS is a force of nature, as was Salmond. Kate Forbes is the only possible 'force of nature' candidate - jury is out and we may never know. She may have better things to do that face the mob over her centre right opinions.

Finally, suppose we rejoin the EU, in truth it makes little difference whether Scotland is then 'independent' or not. It just means their 'ever closer union' is with rUK +27.

This discussion has been closed.