Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can anything shift the polls Sunak’s way? – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,212
    @christopherhope: This is highly significant …

One Brexiteer texts me reading this Bloomberg report saying: “FFS.”

Brexit News: UK… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1621176508889825282
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,089

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The other case that comes to mind is Ched Evans.

His girlfriend stood by him when he was accused / convicted / acquitted on appeal of rape of a woman he met on a night out, where the case centred over if the lady consented. He didn't deny having had sex with the lady behind his girlfriend (now wifes) back and his father in-law even funded all his legal actions.

That was a very different case. One person's word against the other. And I still don't quite understand what is and what isn't admissible re previous encounters with other men.
    Ched Evans. Didn’t meet the lady on the night out, his mate did, who she went via taxi to a room and into bed with. When she woke up next morning it was a different man in the bed.
    Yes, and what led to the conviction being quashed was a man coming forward to give an account of a night he'd had with the woman that matched what Evans had described implying that there was consent. But really, that evidence should never have been heard, because her identity shouldn't have got out and the guy that came forward should not have been in a position to do so. It's all very odd.
    Young lady in question was, I believe, quite well known in Rhyl.
    Do you know that for sure, or is it just rumour and stuff that's come out after her identity was 'released'? In cases where there are famous people like this, the power is with the defence.

I stand by my previous comments that top football has money, sex and power problems. A heady combination. But football's fine, because we all love football (not).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,844
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

@iainmartin1: David Davis tipped for cabinet return in Raab reshuffle, reports the Hound on Reaction @reactionlife https://reaction.life/david-davis-tipped-for-cabinet-return-in-raab-reshuffle/

Davis has a certain popularity. However he's the most useless thing in the universe.
    Apart from everyone else in the cabinet.
    It's not exactly a like for like replacement, but in that respectt, it is.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The other case that comes to mind is Ched Evans.

His girlfriend stood by him when he was accused / convicted / acquitted on appeal of rape of a woman he met on a night out, where the case centred over if the lady consented. He didn't deny having had sex with the lady behind his girlfriend (now wifes) back and his father in-law even funded all his legal actions.

That was a very different case. One person's word against the other. And I still don't quite understand what is and what isn't admissible re previous encounters with other men.
    Ched Evans. Didn’t meet the lady on the night out, his mate did, who she went via taxi to a room and into bed with. When she woke up next morning it was a different man in the bed.
    Yes, and what led to the conviction being quashed was a man coming forward to give an account of a night he'd had with the woman that matched what Evans had described implying that there was consent. But really, that evidence should never have been heard, because her identity shouldn't have got out and the guy that came forward should not have been in a position to do so. It's all very odd.
    Young lady in question was, I believe, quite well known in Rhyl.
    Do you know that for sure, or is it just rumour and stuff that's come out after her identity was 'released'? In cases where there are famous people like this, the power is with the defence.

I stand by my previous comments that top football has money, sex and power problems. A heady combination. But football's fine, because we all love football (not).
    Most people seem to think it has a net benefit to society.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

@kiranstacey: Really interesting from @jessicaelgot: the criticism that people make of Sunak in focus groups is not that he's wea… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1621077426187997187

No no no.

Please post the tweet in full!

It is super interesting to see these tweets but spam if we have to click through or do something.
    Is that ScottP or is it something that Twitter are now doing? I assumed it was the latter.
    Elon Trussked the API that I was using previously. The one I use now truncates the tweet
    Ah yes I see. Yurgh that's annoying. Is there an easy way of pasting the whole thing?
    can you not use something like snip tool
  • Options

It should be said that I have a great issue with the laws of rape as they currently are: in the fact a man can rape a woman or a man, but a woman cannot rape anyone. A man forcing a woman to have sex without consent is rape, whereas a woman doing it is 'just' sexual assault.

This matters, as the maximum sentence for rape is life, whilst the maximum sentence for sexual assault is ten years.

Can anyone explain why this is just?

Yes. Very easily.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

@iainmartin1: David Davis tipped for cabinet return in Raab reshuffle, reports the Hound on Reaction @reactionlife https://reaction.life/david-davis-tipped-for-cabinet-return-in-raab-reshuffle/

Davis has a certain popularity. However he's the most useless thing in the universe.
    Raab reshuffle?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Apart from everyone else in the cabinet.
    It's not exactly a like for like replacement, but in that respectt, it is.
    I firmly believe that if there was one change we could, in retrospect, make to the whole Brexit process that would be cutting out David Davis.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,643

Leon said:

So, despite my whining, that was one of the best meals I have had in the last 5 years. Sensational

Ends with a digestif of chilled swedish high liquor ice-cider

You can get those from ASDA.
    Ice cubes?
    Swedish cider. I like the wild berries one.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

Leon said:

So, despite my whining, that was one of the best meals I have had in the last 5 years. Sensational

Ice cubes?
    Only real cider is one made with apples, rest are for snowflakes and girlies.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oh dear! I hate the idea of a Labour government, but the Tories need to do some clearing out of the deadwood
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Scott_xP said:

There would be a quaint symmetry were that to happen. Raab used to work for David Davis in opposition before 2010, and replaced him as Brexit Secretary after the flounce (he too flounced a few months later). So David, over to you....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Raab reshuffle?
    Is that a bit like the Harlem Shuffle?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,089

It should be said that I have a great issue with the laws of rape as they currently are: in the fact a man can rape a woman or a man, but a woman cannot rape anyone. A man forcing a woman to have sex without consent is rape, whereas a woman doing it is 'just' sexual assault.

This matters, as the maximum sentence for rape is life, whilst the maximum sentence for sexual assault is ten years.

Can anyone explain why this is just?

Yes. Very easily.
    Please, explain it then.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Ice cubes?
    If you came out for night on cocktails with us girlies Malc, we would drink you under the table. It’s a mixture of our extra chromazone and lifetime of drinking weak man pints that you couldn’t cope with cocktail after cocktail.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Ice cubes?
    A flagon of White Lightening in a brown paper bag whilst sitting precariously on a bench in Kay Park seems like the perfect kind of a day.
  • Options

I see the Scott n Paste bot is still malfunctioning.

It's working for me. If one would like to be availed of the ills of Brexit, and Boris Johnson's latest wheeze, it's a go-to service.

For the go-to alternative perspective you are welcome to rely on Carlotta or William Glenn.
    Though they are rather shorter on material since nobody believes all the Brexit bollocks anymore, even them. The Office for Brexit Opportunities must have been the least inspired and least busy government office ever.

"Good morning Bernard. Have you found it yet?"

"Found what Sir Humphrey?"

"The opportunity man, the opportunity. We must have found one by now, surely"
  • Options

It's working for me. If one would like to be availed of the ills of Brexit, and Boris Johnson's latest wheeze, it's a go-to service.

For the go-to alternative perspective you are welcome to rely on Carlotta or William Glenn.
    Though they are rather shorter on material since nobody believes all the Brexit bollocks anymore, even them. The Office for Brexit Opportunities must have been the least inspired and least busy government office ever.

There’s the Opportunity to open a government department staffed with civil servants to spend all day looking for brexit opportunities.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Oddly written piece - it can't decide if it's a news story or an opinion column.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452

There’s the Opportunity to open a government department staffed with civil servants to spend all day looking for brexit opportunities.
    Anything that gets the bastards away from fiddling with education would be a great opportunity!
This discussion has been closed.