Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A personal note on the NHS – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    Chris said:

Leon said:

More ominosity from ChatGPT

“An artificial-intelligence (AI) chatbot can write such convincing fake research-paper abstracts that scientists are often unable to spot them, according to a preprint posted on the bioRxiv server in late December1. Researchers are divided over the implications for science.

“I am very worried,” says Sandra Wachter, who studies technology and regulation at the University of Oxford, UK, and was not involved in the research. “If we’re now in a situation where the experts are not able to determine what’s true or not, we lose the middleman that we desperately need to guide us through complicated topics,” she adds.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00056-7

I should think it would be pretty easy for an AI chatbot to write a realistic-sounding abstract. They are brief and fairly formulaic. An obvious response to Sandra Wachter is that the "experts" should be looking beyond the abstracts before pontificating on "what's true"!

On a more fundamental level, perhaps the academic establishment should address the issue of fake research in general. We know humans have been producing it for a long time. Effective measures against that are also likely to be effective against fake research by AIs.
    Properly directed AI could surely be an effective tool against fake research?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/14/boris-johnson-may-be-building-his-war-chest-but-he-isnt-building-bridges

Tldr; Boris Johnson is taking money from the usual dubious chancers and is clearly plotting something. If I were Sunak I'd be looking for even more salacious Partygate leaks to try to sink Johnson's leadership bid before it leaves harbour.

If you have the ammo, it's better to wait until the ship is out to sea before sinking it, surely?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/14/boris-johnson-may-be-building-his-war-chest-but-he-isnt-building-bridges

Tldr; Boris Johnson is taking money from the usual dubious chancers and is clearly plotting something. If I were Sunak I'd be looking for even more salacious Partygate leaks to try to sink Johnson's leadership bid before it leaves harbour.

If you have the ammo, it's better to wait until the ship is out to sea before sinking it, surely?
    I am so bored of the Tories and their endless puerile leadership psychodrama

No one cares any more. They’ve had twelve useless years. Just eff off

And I am someone inclined to support the Tories! They are going to get eviscerated at the next election. The polls do not lie

• Nigelb said:

Ex-homelessness charity bosses get 15-year ban for misuse of funds
    Charity Commission inquiry showed Ashley and Lee Dribben spent large sums meant for vulnerable people on themselves
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/14/ex-homelessness-charity-bosses-get-15-year-ban-for-misuse-of-funds

Followed by a 15 year stretch one hopes.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Leon said:

And I am someone inclined to support the Tories! They are going to get eviscerated at the next election. The polls do not lie

If even you are tired of puerile pschodrama, they are surely done for, it's true.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,116

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

56% of British voters now want the King and Parliament to strip Harry and Meghan of their royal patronages and honorary titles, just 26% opposed a new Redfield poll shows

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11632205/More-half-Brits-say-Harry-Meghan-lose-royal-titles.html

I am part of the 56%.

Rishi and Liz can now at least console themselves they are more popular than Harry and Meghan.

Never have I seen a brand as self trashed here as Harry has done with his, just a few years ago he was the most popular royal after the Queen!
    Your creepy god cult was not actually founded on the concept of popularity at all costs. Do you realise how the likes of Jesus son of Joseph, John the Baptist and saints Peter and Paul met their end?

Course you don't.

It's like your defence of Johnson whose downfall resulted from bearing false witness, contra the commandments, on behalf of a gay groper, contra Paul to the Romans. You don't even make it as a bigot.

Pretty sure Romans 1 rules out pegging btw.
    I never mentioned popularity at all costs but Christ's disciples remained loyal to him and his message and they and their successors spread Christianity from a small group of followers in the Middle East to the more than 2 billion Christians there are in the world today.

Harry however has chosen to trash the King, trash the Prince of Wales and cease to be a working royal and he must face the consequences.

Even I know that Paul, erm, rewrote Yeshua of Nazareth's message rather a lot. Loyal, it wasn;t.
    Technically Paul wasn't a disciple, he was an Apostle.
    Quite right. I stand corrected.
    Back to the idea that with Monarchy you can’t pick and chose which Royals you back.

Surely, the history of the British Monarchy is that being Monarch was, in a large part, a popularity contest. Those whose polling averages dipped too far, for too long, ended up on sabbatical, or more often, in executive head count reduction programs.

As to the relationship of this to Divine Right - well, God is on the side of Right. So if you overthrow the unpopular king, he has obviously lost the support of God. Which the new chap has, equally obviously.
    Oh, yes, but that just shows how uiseless the notion of divine empowerment is. It;s just a traditional Tory cloak for what they want to do, vide their insistence on control of the C of E through the Monarchy. And anyone who today claims the magic significance of divine right or the bloodline is talking a lot of self-deluding or deliberately mendacious nonsense.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

Would you follow Boris into a new party?
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

If even you are tired of puerile pschodrama, they are surely done for, it's true.
    Exactly. I am a walking taking puerile psychodrama and even I am sick of this shit from the Tories

Call an election now. Get rid
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Exactly. I am a walking taking puerile psychodrama and even I am sick of this shit from the Tories

And yet you consistently defended the shambolic chancer at the centre of it - 'he makes people laugh, he cheers them up.' Which is great for about 5 minutes.
    Jonathan said:

Spare 2: Trouble in the Heir

Leon said:

Probably not. He’s a bit spendy for me

I’m more a Hannanite libertarian small state right winger, with an extra dash of anti Woke

The times are against me, I accept

But I do wonder if the Tories will finally split if some of the worst polls come true. If you’re down to 33 MPs….

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

And yet you consistently defended the shambolic chancer at the centre of it - 'he makes people laugh, he cheers them up.' Which is great for about 5 minutes.
    Boris wasn’t a bad prime minister, if you look at what he actually did - politically - in terrifically bad circumstances. Of course if you’re a crazed Remoaner he can have no redeeming features but yawn

I do not defend his boorish flouting of the rules when the country was in lockdown anguish. He had to resign and it’s right that he went
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Probably 21 months to go, if they decide to hold the election before the clock change. 630 days aroundabouts. Nearly £150k in MP's salary.

Edit: You might be able to learn clarinet to grade five, as you've always wanted, before the Tories are turfed out.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

I’m more a Hannanite libertarian small state right winger, with an extra dash of anti Woke

But I do wonder if the Tories will finally split if some of the worst polls come true. If you’re down to 33 MPs….
    You have to wonder what what Boris is up to getting millions in donations. He’s not exactly unable to earn a few quid. Does he need dons for another crack at the Tory leadership? He perhaps smells that route is closed and that he needs another way. How better to cement his position in history? He certainly has the ego to do it. But you’re right beyond it being the Boris party, it’s unclear what it would set out to do.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    Leon said:

kjh said:

@Leon I notice when you lose an argument you stop engaging on the facts and resort to childish insults. I notice you have done this with @IanB2 and @kinabalu in the past. Having read the last few posts on the last thread I note you have now done this with me and have avoided the point that you were proved wrong and resorted to childish behaviour. That is not a good look.

I'm not letting you off that lightly. So I ask again when Trump says the F35 can not be seen when it is right next to you what is your interpretation of that then? Seems pretty straight forward to everyone else except you. If it is right next to you radar stealth does not come into play does it. I mean it is right in front of your eyes, yet he thinks you can't see it.

May I suggest you didn't view those videos properly and have just made an arse of yourself and are now too embarrassed to man up so instead you make childish insults to avoid the issue. The ones you made about kinabulu's sexuality for instance were very unpleasant.

When you do this you embarrass yourself.

Shut up you boring, clueless idiot
    Ha, ha. As usual you don't like it when you are called out and are wrong do you. No answer, just insults. You got it wrong. Just man up and stop being a cry baby.
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

@Leon I notice when you lose an argument you stop engaging on the facts and resort to childish insults. I notice you have done this with @IanB2 and @kinabalu in the past. Having read the last few posts on the last thread I note you have now done this with me and have avoided the point that you were proved wrong and resorted to childish behaviour. That is not a good look.

I'm not letting you off that lightly. So I ask again when Trump says the F35 can not be seen when it is right next to you what is your interpretation of that then? Seems pretty straight forward to everyone else except you. If it is right next to you radar stealth does not come into play does it. I mean it is right in front of your eyes, yet he thinks you can't see it.

May I suggest you didn't view those videos properly and have just made an arse of yourself and are now too embarrassed to man up so instead you make childish insults to avoid the issue. The ones you made about kinabulu's sexuality for instance were very unpleasant.

Ha, ha. As usual you don't like it when you are called out and are wrong do you. No answer, just insults. You got it wrong. Just man up and stop being a cry baby.
    You’re actually - genuinely - too stupid to realise it was a joke. But do carry on, old boy
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/14/boris-johnson-may-be-building-his-war-chest-but-he-isnt-building-bridges

Good morning

Sunak has told Johnson he will not be found a safe seat and must fight his present one
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

You have to wonder what what Boris is up to getting millions in donations. He’s not exactly unable to earn a few quid. Does he need dons for another crack at the Tory leadership? He perhaps smells that route is closed and that he needs another way. How better to cement his position in history? He certainly has the ego to do it. But you’re right beyond it being the Boris party, it’s unclear what it would set out to do.
    TBF to Boris it’s unclear what ANY party intends to do to remedy Britain’s problems. I see zero inspiration in Labour. Indeed I reckon the next government will get deeply unpopular in short order - as people realise Starmer is clueless

Nonetheless Starmer must be given a chance and the present shower need to bog off
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Good morning

Sunak has told Johnson he will not be found a safe seat and must fight his present one
    It might improve his chances if he actually turned up in it and did a constituency surgery rather than brooding and plotting with billionaires.
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

You’re actually - genuinely - too stupid to realise it was a joke. But do carry on, old boy
    Oh now this is desperate. It wasn't a joke. You defended what you said post after post. Shall I reproduce your posts for you?

Such desperation to avoid just saying the words 'I got it wrong'

And worse the move to personal insults when you realise you have made a mistake unlike most of us who go 'whoops I got it wrong'. You have a track record for doing this to a number of posters some of which I listed yesterday.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Probably 21 months to go, if they decide to hold the election before the clock change. 630 days aroundabouts. Nearly £150k in MP's salary.

Edit: You might be able to learn clarinet to grade five, as you've always wanted, before the Tories are turfed out.
    yes and 300-400K expenses and shedloads of subsidised booze and food plus extra pension.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Boris wasn’t a bad prime minister, if you look at what he actually did - politically - in terrifically bad circumstances. Of course if you’re a crazed Remoaner he can have no redeeming features but yawn

I do not defend his boorish flouting of the rules when the country was in lockdown anguish. He had to resign and it’s right that he went
    It is quite amusing quite how abjectly he wasted all his political capital on parties, decorating and going to bat over lost causes
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Oh now this is desperate. It wasn't a joke. You defended what you said post after post. Shall I reproduce your posts for you?

And worse the move to personal insults when you realise you have made a mistake unlike most of us who go 'whoops I got it wrong'. You have a track record for doing this to a number of posters some of which I listed yesterday.
    I think you’re just a bit mad TBH

Look, let’s put this to bed. You think the President of the United States, Donald J Trump, believes that F35 jets can literally be made invisible, in some magical Harry Potter way, I think you’re a bit dim and you have misconstrued his remarks: Trump is actually talking about stealth tech, but amping it up in his typical bullshitting way - Trump does not really believe in magical invisibility

There. We’re not going to agree. Let’s move on
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

56% of British voters now want the King and Parliament to strip Harry and Meghan of their royal patronages and honorary titles, just 26% opposed a new Redfield poll shows

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11632205/More-half-Brits-say-Harry-Meghan-lose-royal-titles.html

I am part of the 56%.

Rishi and Liz can now at least console themselves they are more popular than Harry and Meghan.

Never have I seen a brand as self trashed here as Harry has done with his, just a few years ago he was the most popular royal after the Queen!
    Your creepy god cult was not actually founded on the concept of popularity at all costs. Do you realise how the likes of Jesus son of Joseph, John the Baptist and saints Peter and Paul met their end?

Course you don't.

It's like your defence of Johnson whose downfall resulted from bearing false witness, contra the commandments, on behalf of a gay groper, contra Paul to the Romans. You don't even make it as a bigot.

I never mentioned popularity at all costs but Christ's disciples remained loyal to him and his message and they and their successors spread Christianity from a small group of followers in the Middle East to the more than 2 billion Christians there are in the world today.

Harry however has chosen to trash the King, trash the Prince of Wales and cease to be a working royal and he must face the consequences.

Even I know that Paul, erm, rewrote Yeshua of Nazareth's message rather a lot. Loyal, it wasn;t.
    Back to the idea that with Monarchy you can’t pick and chose which Royals you back.

Surely, the history of the British Monarchy is that being Monarch was, in a large part, a popularity contest. Those whose polling averages dipped too far, for too long, ended up on sabbatical, or more often, in executive head count reduction programs.

As to the relationship of this to Divine Right - well, God is on the side of Right. So if you overthrow the unpopular king, he has obviously lost the support of God. Which the new chap has, equally obviously.
    Oh, yes, but that just shows how uiseless the notion of divine empowerment is. It;s just a traditional Tory cloak for what they want to do, vide their insistence on control of the C of E through the Monarchy. And anyone who today claims the magic significance of divine right or the bloodline is talking a lot of self-deluding or deliberately mendacious nonsense.
    It died out, except in your mind and possibly HYUFD's, in 1688. Nobody ever really believed in it because for as long as it was in existence it was pretty clear as often as not that there was human intervention in the line of succession. Its most extreme exponent was the notable Scot James VI. It is an ex doctrine. It is pining for the fjords.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

It is quite amusing quite how abjectly he wasted all his political capital on parties, decorating and going to bat over lost causes
    Though surely those things were not incidental to his Premiership, they were why he wanted it in the first place. Lording it over others as party host, living extravagantly at others expense and bungs to his mates were the features not the bug of why he was there.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,116

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I am part of the 56%.

Course you don't.

It died out, except in your mind and possibly HYUFD's, in 1688. Nobody ever really believed in it because for as long as it was in existence it was pretty clear as often as not that there was human intervention in the line of succession. Its most extreme exponent was the notable Scot James VI. It is an ex doctrine. It is pining for the fjords.
    Died out? Have a look at the coronation programme when it comes.

Just try arguing for its abolition and the elimination of the C of E involvement and see what happens. And it won't be me that's involved in that, either way.

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So why not blame him for plain ambition to return to the job? It's his psychodrama.
    Foxy said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Though surely those things were not incidental to his Premiership, they were why he wanted it in the first place. Lording it over others as party host, living extravagantly at others expense and bungs to his mates were the features not the bug of why he was there.
    The two can exist in tandem. Boris wanted to do great things AND have lots of fun and sex by virtue of being in power

This is not uncommon in successful politicians. JFK and Bill Clinton spring to mind

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So why not blame him for plain ambition to return to the job? It's his psychodrama.
    My point is that I am now so sick and tired and bored of the Tories I can’t even work up an outraged opinion about Boris or Sunak or any of them. I simply want them gone: ASAP
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Not another party, surely - they were his downfall.
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Look, let’s put this to bed. You think the President of the United States, Donald J Trump, believes that F35 jets can literally be made invisible, in some magical Harry Potter way, I think you’re a bit dim and you have misconstrued his remarks: Trump is actually talking about stealth tech, but amping it up in his typical bullshitting way - Trump does not really believe in magical invisibility

So you are changing your tune once again having been called out (so not a joke then?) Honestly this is desperate. Trump said you could not see a F35 when it was right next to you. How do you interpret that as long range stealth tech. Right next to you.

And as usual you resort to insults. One of your favourites being accusing people who prove you wrong as dim. Challenging others sexuality is another when you lose an argument. It really isn't pleasant. You would get a lot more respect if you just admitted you got it wrong. We all do it.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited January 2023
    OGH - good luck with your procedure. I too have been pleasantly surprised by the NHS - a minor op cancelled before Christmas and I had expected to be April/May is in early February. Similarly another appointment cancelled over Christmas is in a couple of weeks.

Off topic, thoroughly enjoying Nicholas Boys Smith’s “No Free Parking” about the history behind some of the London streets on the Monopoly board. While buildings come and go, streets go on for centuries and in some cases millennia. Ever wondered why Euston Road is so straight and so wide? London’s first bypass - built so the animals being driven to slaughter at Smithfield wouldn’t go down Oxford Street and through the city. Marlboro cigarettes - started on Great Marlborough Street, and so on, many fascinating nuggets.
    edited January 2023
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

So you are changing your tune once again having been called out (so not a joke then?) Honestly this is desperate. Trump said you could not see a F35 when it was right next to you. How do you interpret that as long range stealth tech. Right next to you.

And as usual you resort to insults. One of your favourites being accusing people who prove you wrong as dim. Challenging others sexuality is another when you lose an argument. It really isn't pleasant. You would get a lot more respect if you just admitted you got it wrong. We all do it.
    Oh and regarding calling me mad, on the sanity check @Leon, I think I know who would come out on top of that between the two of us. Would you like to take a poll here of who PB think is the most stable between the two of us?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,599
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I am part of the 56%.

Course you don't.

Sigh. It’s theatre.

The C of E is completely irrelevant and has been for more than a century - it’s the association for *preventing* religion in public life.

It wasn’t “the Tories” who wanted control of state religion by the legislature. It was all of Parliament, long before there were Tories or any other recognisable party. It goes back to the Lollards and early stirrings of… reformation in the Church.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Foxy said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Anyone who harbours the slightest sliver of doubt that Johnson is unfit to be PM should read Sebastian Payne’s book. The issue is not that Johnson made mistakes. He kept making the same mistakes. Again and again and again. He will not learn.
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Here are Trump’s remarks on the F35, verbatim

"(The F-35 is) the greatest fighter jet in the world, as you know, by far. Stealth. Totally stealth. You can’t see it. Makes it very difficult. I was asking a pilot, 'What do you think is better: This one? This one? That one?' Talking about Russian planes, Chinese planes. He said, 'Well, the advantage we have is you can’t see it.' So when we’re fighting, they can’t see us. I say, 'That sounds like a really big advantage to me.'"

And

"...the F-35 fighter jet, which is, you know, almost like an invisible fighter. I was asking the Air Force guys, I said, how good is this plane? They said, well, sir, you can't see it. I said, yeah, but in a fight — you know, a fight — like I watch in the movies — they fight, they're fighting. How good is this? They say, well, it wins every time because the enemy cannot see it. Even if it's right next to it, it can't see it. I said, that helps. That's a good thing."

He’s talking about stealth capability. He does not believe the plane can be made literally invisible by some wizard in a gown

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    This thread was

plotting a comeback, but ended up where Johnson is

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Oh and regarding calling me mad, on the sanity check @Leon, I think I know who would come out on top of that between the two of us. Would you like to take a poll here of who PB think is the most stable between the two of us?
    Generally I would agree: I’d say I am much madder than you. You are too dull to be perceived as crazy. But on the evidence of today - eg you think a U.S. President believes in magical invisibility - I reckon you might just pip me on the PB lunatic stakes
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,599
    For those interested in visual “stealth”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffused_lighting_camouflage

The F-35 incorporates a piece of technology that is of note - using external cameras, it can provide the pilot, via the helmet, the ability to see “through” the plane.

In some modes, the plane appears *invisible* (partially) to the pilot. He/She instead of seeing the wing (say) sees the sky beyond. Overlayed with data from other sources as well.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/magic-helmet-for-f-35-ready-for-delivery/
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I am part of the 56%.

Course you don't.

Sigh. It’s theatre.

The C of E is completely irrelevant and has been for more than a century - it’s the association for *preventing* religion in public life.

It wasn’t “the Tories” who wanted control of state religion by the legislature. It was all of Parliament, long before there were Tories or any other recognisable party. It goes back to the Lollards and early stirrings of… reformation in the Church.
    It was Henry VIII who wanted to ensure the Pope was not head of our national Church.

The C of E is also not irrelevant, its cathedrals are thriving still and in rural areas parish churches are still a key part of community life
  • Foxy said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Anyone who harbours the slightest sliver of doubt that Johnson is unfit to be PM should read Sebastian Payne’s book. The issue is not that Johnson made mistakes. He kept making the same mistakes. Again and again and again. He will not learn.
    He learned all right. Unfortunately, the lesson he learned was that he could get away with it. And he learned that lesson because so many of his life experiences taught him that.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

I know Hannan is the pulsating brain of brexit but is that enough to merit an "ite"?
  • kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

I know Hannan is the pulsating brain of brexit but is that enough to merit an "ite"?
    Well, a word ending in ‘ite’ at least.
This discussion has been closed.