Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2022 StJohn PB Christmas Crossword (Est 2006) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    edited December 2022
    Gadfly said:

I can see Rowan in 21D, and it would fit with Watergate, but again I can't work it out from the clue.

Anagram now a plus focus of Shirley = middle letter.

Rowan Williams - who I recently discover had a family connection to Lucian Freud.

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    SandraMc said:

Gadfly said:

I can see Rowan in 21D, and it would fit with Watergate, but again I can't work it out from the clue.

Anagram now a plus focus of Shirley = middle letter.

Thanks. I spotted the now a and I mulled about whether the r was the focus of Shirley, but I've never come across this before.
  • Options
    13A Sloth=vice; T (last of president) interrupts Hols backwards. Thanks StJohn for excellent Xmas xword.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited December 2022
    3D has to be Flemish then, (anagram of himself). A Flemish Bond being a type of brickwork.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

3D has to be Flemish then, (anagram of himself). A Flemish Bond being a type of brickwork.

Our house is done in Flemish bond!
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Jenkins - yes

I got one!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Many thanks to StJohn for this, and merry Christmas to all of you and your families, even the ones who put pineapple on their pizzas.

You feeling ok TSE?
  • Options

Many thanks to StJohn for this, and merry Christmas to all of you and your families, even the ones who put pineapple on their pizzas.

You feeling ok TSE?
    Hacked.
  • Options

You feeling ok TSE?
    Peace and goodwill to everybody this festive season.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,646

You feeling ok TSE?
    An excess of seasonal goodwill can do storage things.

Paging @Cyclefree , one of my Xmas presents is Thea Lenarduzzi's Dandelions.
    Have you read it ?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Is that crossword complete then?
    Lovely day here. Lengthy walk. Sous chef duties done. Time for a kip then dinner.
  • Options
    Ok good crossword, thanks StJohn.

I particularly liked 19A and, especially, 20A.

I couldn't really parse 14D and 19D but the answers are obvious.

I am not totally sure I have 10A correct tbh, will be interested to see the solutions in due course.

Very good though, thanks!
  • Options
    Ah, I see from the thread we are all helping each other out - 'tis the season of goodwill after all!

So 10A anyone?
  • Options

Ah, I see from the thread we are all helping each other out - 'tis the season of goodwill after all!

So 10A anyone?

Clearly not. Too busy enjoying Christmas, and why not?

Am off to good the vegetarian sirloin joint now (at least, I think the bullock was vegetarian!)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    Surely IDS, Villiers, and possibly Raab are gone already even without Angry Nigel returning?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    - “Sources close to Farage say he is weighing up whether to return imminently or wait until a Labour government moves to introduce proportional representation…”

If the latter, he’s in for a long wait.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    dixiedean said:
    In other politics news the President of South Sudan pissed himself on live television while opening a road. Still a better leader than Johnson.

https://youtu.be/PzKp-DHkFqA
  • Options
    I hear there's a remake of "The King's Speech" at 3pm, with someone called [checks notes] "Charles" playing Colin Firth?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    Dura_Ace said:

dixiedean said:
    In other politics news the President of South Sudan pissed himself on live television while opening a road. Still a better leader than Johnson.

I've just teared up watching Johnson's Christmas 2022 message to his subjects.
  • Options
    Something hilarious about a man living in a house with walls made of gold telling us how we should live
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,508
    A follow-up on the interesting weather here in the US. As I write, this area has warmed up a bit; Seattle is at 50 degrees, Fahrenheit.

Which makes it warmer here than in these other port cities: San Diego (48), Houston (28), New Orleans (35), and Miami (46).

But I wouldn't make a quick trip here to work on your tan, since it is raining.

(Source: The "crawl" at the bottom of Fox's "Live Now" sub-channel.)

And a Merry Christmas to all who are celbrating it, today.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

I hear there's a remake of "The King's Speech" at 3pm, with someone called [checks notes] "Charles" playing Colin Firth?

It was an excellent Christmas message. He will turn out to be an excellent King.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,508
    My favorite Christmas joke:

Bill was wondering why his old friend, Joe, was so determined to get home at Christmas. The weather was bad, it was long trip, and so on.

So Bill asked him: “Is it the ceremonies, the opening of presents, and all that?”

Joe replied: “No, those things haven’t been important to me since I was a kid.”

“Is it to be with your family?”

“No, I see them regularly during the year.”

“Well, what is it?

“Well, you see, at Christmas, and only at Christmas, my mother makes this wonderful sauce, with eggs and lemon juice, . ”

Bill interupts: “I see. You want to be home for the hollandaise.”

(In my experience, good cooks love that joke.)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Something hilarious about a man living in a house with walls made of gold telling us how we should live

I didn't know Highgrove and Clarence House had walls made of gold?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Excellent first Christmas speech by the King. Touched all bases, paid tribute to his mother, thanked public servants, nurses, rescue workers and charity workers at home and abroad and those who volunteer in foodbanks.

Also still emphasised the Christian nature of Christmas while recognising its place as a festival in the winter darkness for those of Faith or none. Thanks given too to mosques, temples and synagogues for their work
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

He could have announced that he had discovered the cure for cancer and a safe, reliable and cheap form of nuclear fusion and you'd be whinging about it...
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Our house is done in Flemish bond!
    And I thought "Flemish Bond" was reference to 007 with bad head cold.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Excellent first Christmas speech by the King. Touched all bases, paid tribute to his mother, thanked public servants, nurses, rescue workers and charity workers at home and abroad and those who volunteer in foodbanks.

Also still emphasised the Christian nature of Christmas while recognising its place as a festival in the winter darkness for those of Faith or none. Thanks given too to mosques, temples and synagogues for their work

Sounds a bit like Johnson's Christmas address. If you haven't checked it out, it will bring a tear to your eye too. Probably for different reasons to me. Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    The nonce Andrew kept out of the speech I note
  • Options

He could have announced that he had discovered the cure for cancer and a safe, reliable and cheap form of nuclear fusion and you'd be whinging about it...
    I am allowed to winge, it's a democracy.

As long as they make more money than they cost they can stay - but it doesn't mean I like them or what they stand for.

If Andrew was working class he'd be in jail
  • Options

Vive la Republique. Merry Christmas Horse.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,444

Reliable Fusion would result in free neutrons. As in, a Fuckton of neutrons that are really, really surplus to requirements.

Hence the walls of liquid lithium being suggested - to breed Tritium by the kilo..

There was an amusing calculation done a while back. The rate at which a slab of uranium becomes plutonium if you used it as a piece of fusion reactor wall…. It was quite startling.

So reliable fusion will make nuclear weapons really, really cheap.
  • Options

Both highly unlikely future proclamations from Charles I would wager.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    edited December 2022

As long as they make more money than they cost they can stay - but it doesn't mean I like them or what they stand for.

But it was a Labour PPB, surely you appreciated that? Paying tribute to nurses and paramedics, talking about people struggling to make ends meet, showing lots of pictures of food banks…

Surprised nobody’s turned up here to decry it as unutterably woke.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

How much wealth do they have? What right do they have to tell me how to live, literally anointed by a so-called God
  • Options
    Thanks Pete, one of the few kind people left on this site
  • Options

And as unlikely from Charles III I wager.

Sorry, I've given myself a wee gift of petty pedantry for Crimbo :)
  • Options
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

How much wealth do they have? What right do they have to tell me how to live, literally anointed by a so-called God
    As the almighty and ever living God anointed the King our glorious sovereign as confirmed by Parliament at the Accession Council.

He doesn't tell you how to live either, we have a constitutional not an absolute monarchy.

Not that there is going to be any change anytime soon either given both Sunak and Starmer back the monarchy having replaced the ex republican Truss and republican Corbyn
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As the almighty and ever living God anointed the King our glorious sovereign as confirmed by Parliament at the Accession Council.

He doesn't tell you how to live either, we have a constitutional not an absolute monarchy.

Not that there is going to be any change anytime soon either given both Sunak and Starmer back the monarchy having replaced the ex republican Truss and republican Corbyn
    Doesn’t the anointing wait until the coronation? Sparkling debate between you two though. Merry Christmas!
  • Options

And as unlikely from Charles III I wager.

Sorry, I've given myself a wee gift of petty pedantry for Crimbo :)
    He may be your King. He'll always be Charles, Prince of Wales to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    viewcode said:

1/2: Good morning children, and I hope you had the bestest presents. A rare front-stage appearance from me, one happy, one sad. The happy one is to wish you all the best for the upcoming 2023. Despite being a rather fallow period for elections I hope it brings you everything you need. (2024 in contrast will contain one POTUS, one EP, and one GE. Zoinks!)

Point of order, the last General Election was December 2019, the latest possible date for the next is therefore my January 2025.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You sound like a brainwashed cultist. Almighty God lol.

I don't think he's glorious or any of them are. They're rich telling us how to live.

I am not calling for them to go - but they are absolutely contrary to all of my beliefs and I will continue to say so.
  • Options

Reliable Fusion would result in free neutrons. As in, a Fuckton of neutrons that are really, really surplus to requirements.

Hence the walls of liquid lithium being suggested - to breed Tritium by the kilo..

There was an amusing calculation done a while back. The rate at which a slab of uranium becomes plutonium if you used it as a piece of fusion reactor wall…. It was quite startling.

A slightly uncharitable point of order: that's true for the usual types of fusion such as deuterium / tritium.

But there are types of fusion - e.g. boron / proton that are aneutronic, and produce very few fast neutrons. Even better, certain types produce oodles of alpha particles that can be used to generate power directly without that messy heat cycle and all its dangers and inefficiencies.

The only downside with aneutronic fusion is that it's *much* harder than traditional fusion to do - and that's hard enough. The best anyone has done is allegedly four orders of magnitude from net energy gain. But it's something to aim for IMO. And as with 'normal' D-T fusion, I think there'll be things we learn that make it easier than we expect. We're still learning a massive amount about this stuff - witness the NIF's problems over the last decade.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,298
    edited December 2022

You feel there is something lacking about his example, perhaps?

Have spent the last hour with a twenty-something month old niece. Young people are wonderful.

Best Christmas wishes to you all. Feel like it could be a bit lonely around the Windsor Christmas dinner table this year. No Philip, No Elizabeth, no Harry. A lot of faces missing from Christmases past.
  • Options

And you are absolutely free to whinge. However, it might have been better if you had criticised the content of his speech instead.

Anyway, in the spirit of Christmas, I hope you are well and are enjoying the day. I'm currently in a food coma, having decided that three glasses of wine are not conducive to recreational coding...
  • Options

Are you talking nonce-sense Horse?
  • Options

A slightly uncharitable point of order: that's true for the usual types of fusion such as deuterium / tritium.

But there are types of fusion - e.g. boron / proton that are aneutronic, and produce very few fast neutrons. Even better, certain types produce oodles of alpha particles that can be used to generate power directly without that messy heat cycle and all its dangers and inefficiencies.

The only downside with aneutronic fusion is that it's *much* harder than traditional fusion to do - and that's hard enough. The best anyone has done is allegedly four orders of magnitude from net energy gain. But it's something to aim for IMO. And as with 'normal' D-T fusion, I think there'll be things we learn that make it easier than we expect. We're still learning a massive amount about this stuff - witness the NIF's problems over the last decade.
    If you could actually demonstrate Boron fusion - even a handful of atoms - that’s a Nobel for you.

That’s how far away that stuff is.

Plus I want tons of plutonium.
  • Options

You don’t think Andrew is a nonce?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well, I could give him a tip or two. For starters shagging the gf the night before the wedding isn't regal disdain for bourgeois morality, it's Jeremy Kyle stuff.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,831
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

1/2: Good morning children, and I hope you had the bestest presents. A rare front-stage appearance from me, one happy, one sad. The happy one is to wish you all the best for the upcoming 2023. Despite being a rather fallow period for elections I hope it brings you everything you need. (2024 in contrast will contain one POTUS, one EP, and one GE. Zoinks!)

Point of order, the last General Election was December 2019, the latest possible date for the next is therefore my January 2025.
    Acknowledged, but I assume a last-minute GE in Jan 2025 is low-probability.
  • Options

If you could actually demonstrate Boron fusion - even a handful of atoms - that’s a Nobel for you.

Fair enough on the latter. ;)

But on the former, I think it has been done - by a team in France, I think, and also the HB11 team:
    https://hb11.energy/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/In-Target-Proton–Boron-Nuclear-Fusion-Using-a-PW-Class-Laser_applsci-12-01444-v2.pdf
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/lpb/si/284902/
    https://fusenet.eu/node/575

The problem is that whilst they have achieved fusion, they've got a massive way to go to get to energy breakeven, let alone positive energy.
  • Options

Wouldn't reliable fusion (if certain types) also consume kilos of tritium ?
    Something of a virtuous circle in some scenarios.

The proliferation issue is non negligible, but not necessarily more so than with conventional nuclear fission reactors.
    It's the same issue of controls, probably.
  • Options

Fair enough on the latter. ;)

But on the former, I think it has been done - by a team in France, I think, and also the HB11 team:
    https://hb11.energy/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/In-Target-Proton–Boron-Nuclear-Fusion-Using-a-PW-Class-Laser_applsci-12-01444-v2.pdf
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/lpb/si/284902/
    https://fusenet.eu/node/575

The problem is that whilst they have achieved fusion, they've got a massive way to go to get to energy breakeven, let alone positive energy.
    Nice
  • Options

So 10A anyone?

Am off to good the vegetarian sirloin joint now (at least, I think the bullock was vegetarian!)
    from 10 am

10a TOBIN

• Options
    Nigelb said:

The proliferation issue is non negligible, but not necessarily more so than with conventional nuclear fission reactors.
    If you put lithium next to the reaction you get Tritium by the kilo - neutrons + lithium = lots of Tritium. You are talking about turning Tritium from a rarity into a common material.

You get far more than your fusion reactor will need.

See Castle Bravo for a practical demo - enough Tritium was generated in nanoseconds to triple the yield. Modern nukes use the same principle - they literally make themselves as they explode.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    checklist said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well, I could give him a tip or two. For starters shagging the gf the night before the wedding isn't regal disdain for bourgeois morality, it's Jeremy Kyle stuff.
    The main thing was he at least slept with Diana enough to produce William as heir to the throne, with Harry as spare before William had his own children.

There are no children between the King and Queen Consort (and even if there were they would be illegitimate)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Dura_Ace said:

dixiedean said:

Piss came out of his johnson.

Lots of bullshit comes out of ours.
  • Options

There are sadly plenty of working class nonces walking free today because they either (a) had the right mates or (b) the police couldn't be arsed to prosecute them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Good evening (hic)

In hindsight, with only 5 of us round the table this year, champagne, 4 bottles of wine and port was perhaps excessive.

Or perhaps not...

Who was the poor sod who had to go without?
  • Options
    New York achieved electoral fusion in 1850s. Was how Fiorello La Guardia got elected mayor of NYC in 1930s.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

If you put lithium next to the reaction you get Tritium by the kilo - neutrons + lithium = lots of Tritium. You are talking about turning Tritium from a rarity into a common material.

See Castle Bravo for a practical demo - enough Tritium was generated in nanoseconds to triple the yield. Modern nukes use the same principle - they literally make themselves as they explode.
    Indeed.
    FLF produced some estimates for tritium production from the liquid lithium reactor wall in its 60MW pilot plant concept.

https://eepower.com/market-insights/fusion-power-promises-separating-the-hype-from-reality/
    "the 60-megawatt (MW) fusion reaction plant planned by First Light for $570 million should be capable of producing an excess of around 2 kilograms of tritium per year.."

But there's a long road between today's concepts and actual plants.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,689
    edited December 2022
    Current temperature in Orlando Florida: 6 degrees Celsius. It's warmer in most parts of the UK.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.
    FLF produced some estimates for tritium production from the liquid lithium reactor wall in its 60MW pilot plant concept.

https://eepower.com/market-insights/fusion-power-promises-separating-the-hype-from-reality/
    "the 60-megawatt (MW) fusion reaction plant planned by First Light for $570 million should be capable of producing an excess of around 2 kilograms of tritium per year.."

There's one estimate that a commercial magnetic confinement type plant producing 3 gigawatts of electricity would burn over 160 kilograms of tritium per year.
    So the figures don't necessarily indicate a massive excess.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.

That’s low, if anything.

2kg is enough for 400 nuclear weapons, incidentally.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Current temperature in Orlando Florida: 6 degrees Celsius. It's warmer in most parts of the UK.

Though still 28 degrees Celsius in Los Angeles.

While the Arctic freeze has hit the North East and Canada, the MidWest and the South, the West Coast seems to be largely unaffected

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5368361
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Though still 28 degrees Celsius in Los Angeles.

While the Arctic freeze has hit the North East and Canada, the MidWest and the South, the West Coast seems to be largely unaffected

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5368361
    The Rockies. They're diverting the cold air further east so warmer air from the tropics is getting sucked to California by the lower pressure.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Good evening (hic)

In hindsight, with only 5 of us round the table this year, champagne, 4 bottles of wine and port was perhaps excessive.

Or perhaps not...

In my bachelor days, used to do dinner parties.

While waiting for food - a half case of champagne, to share.

Bottle per person, per course.

Port for the cheese,

Brandy, whisky and vodka for after the meal.

Anyone bought booze - that had to be drunk as well.

This entirely solved the problem with getting home and trains running - we kept going until the first trains in the morning.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Good evening (hic)

Or perhaps not...

In my bachelor days, used to do dinner parties.

While waiting for food - a half case of champagne, to share.

Bottle per person, per course.

Port for the cheese,

Brandy, whisky and vodka for after the meal.

Anyone bought booze - that had to be drunk as well.

This entirely solved the problem with getting home and trains running - we kept going until the first trains in the morning.
    The Colin Ingleby-McKenzie solution!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited December 2022
    ohnotnow said:

FPT:

OT I have this morning binge-watched A Spy Among Friends on ITVX aka ITV hub
    https://www.itv.com/watch/a-spy-among-friends/2a7931/2a7931a0006

It is a fictionalised account of Kim Philby's flight to Moscow and its aftermath. Enjoyable but you probably need to know the outline of the Cambridge Spies story.

There is a really excellent early Denis Potter TV play based on Kim Philby living in Moscow. Stand out performance from John Le Mesurier too :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traitor_(Play_for_Today)

I can 'make it available' if it's not on youtube or the like.

Oh, and happy christmas everyone!
    That would be great, thanks. iirc John Le Mesurier is excellent in this straight role (ETA that link mentions that he won the BAFTA). iirc I bought it on the BBC's short-lived iplayer-a-like that let you buy digital versions but then they scrapped it and refunded everyone's money.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.

There's one estimate that a commercial magnetic confinement type plant producing 3 gigawatts of electricity would burn over 160 kilograms of tritium per year.
    So the figures don't necessarily indicate a massive excess.
    The advocates of fusion tend to be coy about the amount of Tritium they will breed. Some estimates suggest that kilos per day will quite probable for a big plant to breed.

If they don’t breed Tritium, then they won’t work.

160 kg of Tritium would argue that they are planning on losing a lot. Which doesn’t sound plausible.
  • Options
    Here's one for TSE to get his teeth into next Christmas.
    (Haven't seen it in decades, so I might have to rewatch now.)

Move Over, Die Hard. Three Days of the Condor Is the Christmas Classic No One’s Watching.
    https://slate.com/culture/2016/12/why-three-days-of-the-condor-is-the-christmas-classic-no-one-s-watching.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Nigelb said:

Move Over, Die Hard. Three Days of the Condor Is the Christmas Classic No One’s Watching.
    https://slate.com/culture/2016/12/why-three-days-of-the-condor-is-the-christmas-classic-no-one-s-watching.html

I saw a joke on that which pointed out it was based on the book 'Six Days of the Condor', meaning film goers were robbed of at least three full days of the condor.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited December 2022
    I have been reliably informed that the Education Secretary's Twitter account has been hacked by some Cryptocurrency scammers.

I'm sure this could be an allegory for something.

Edit proof

https://twitter.com/GillianKeegan/status/1607096476433518592

Nota bene, do not click the link inside that tweet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I saw a joke on that which pointed out it was based on the book 'Six Days of the Condor', meaning film goers were robbed of at least three full days of the condor.
    They wanted to leave room for the (sadly unmade) sequel.
  • Options

I have been reliably informed that the Education Secretary's Twitter account has been hacked by some Cryptocurrency scammers.

Edit proof

I do hope she hasn't absent mindedly blown the entire DfE budget buying crypto.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    ydoethur said:

Edit proof

Virtual currency will buy in a lot of equally virtual supply staff in January.
  • Options

So 10A anyone?

from 10 am

10a TOBIN

Thanks. Deliberately didn't look at the hints before having a go this afternoon.

That's what I got (fitted with the downers and 'To get rid of' but what's a tobin? Never heard of it.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

ohnotnow said:

FPT:

OT I have this morning binge-watched A Spy Among Friends on ITVX aka ITV hub
    https://www.itv.com/watch/a-spy-among-friends/2a7931/2a7931a0006

It is a fictionalised account of Kim Philby's flight to Moscow and its aftermath. Enjoyable but you probably need to know the outline of the Cambridge Spies story.

There is a really excellent early Denis Potter TV play based on Kim Philby living in Moscow. Stand out performance from John Le Mesurier too :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traitor_(Play_for_Today)

I can 'make it available' if it's not on youtube or the like.

Oh, and happy christmas everyone!
    That would be great, thanks. iirc John Le Mesurier is excellent in this straight role (ETA that link mentions that he won the BAFTA). iirc I bought it on the BBC's short-lived iplayer-a-like that let you buy digital versions but then they scrapped it and refunded everyone's money.
    I'd be interested in Traitor too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Edit proof

Would it be better or worse if it's been done as considered government policy? It's one way of closing the budget gap.

(Didn't Sunak plan some sort of Rishicoin back when he was Chancellor?)
  • Options
    Good socialist Kings Speech today I thought. Much better than I expected.
  • Options

So 10A anyone?

from 10 am

10a TOBIN

Thanks. Deliberately didn't look at the hints before having a go this afternoon.

That's what I got (fitted with the downers and 'To get rid of' but what's a tobin? Never heard of it.
    An economist, who had a tax named after him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tobin
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Edit proof

Would it be better or worse if it's been done as considered government policy? It's one way of closing the budget gap.

It is inconceivable that it would be considered government policy.

That would imply this government has policies that are considered.
  • Options

So 10A anyone?

from 10 am

10a TOBIN

An economist, who had a tax named after him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tobin
    Ah right. Thanks Blanche!
  • Options

You don’t think Andrew is a nonce?
    I was making a play on the words Horse. I'm not a fan of Andrew but will say no more
  • Options

The location was interesting. St George's Chapel where his mother is interred. A definite emphasis on that link. A carol carefully chosen to finish. And much greater use of film shots from elsewhere than in past years.

I thought it was actually quite well and tastefully done, if rather empty of anything meaningful.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Edit proof

Many governments are looking at issuing cryptocurrencies - the idea of a currency with a transaction history has some interesting effects for black market stuff.

Once again - the problem with what people are calling crypto at the moment is that everyone in the markets currently seems to be a crook or a mark. The concept of crypto currencies themselves isn’t the problem.
  • Options

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

I should say it's the most likely date if the current Labour lead in the opinion polls persists.
  • Options

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
    No, Monarchy = Toryism.

State control of most of the economy =Socialism
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    HYUFD said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
    No, Monarchy = Toryism.

Also, destroying valued and popular institutions with centuries of history for no good reason and with no real thought about what to put in their place thereby making everything much worse=Socialism.

So no wonder most republicans are socialists.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
    No, Monarchy = Toryism.

Also, destroying valued and popular institutions with centuries of history for no good reason and with no real thought about what to put in their place thereby making everything much worse=Socialism.

I think that's something of an exaggeration. There can be few more ardently republican nations on earth than the USA but they hate socialists far more than monarchs.

It would be more accurate the other way around.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

I should say it's the most likely date if the current Labour lead in the opinion polls persists.
    Would at least ensure Sunak is PM longer than Home and Rosebery, maybe Campbell Bannermann too as well as Truss of course
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Edit proof

Many governments are looking at issuing cryptocurrencies - the idea of a currency with a transaction history has some interesting effects for black market stuff.

Once again - the problem with what people are calling crypto at the moment is that everyone in the markets currently seems to be a crook or a mark. The concept of crypto currencies themselves isn’t the problem.
    And our government issuing such a currency would resolve that problem - how, exactly?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
    No, Monarchy = Toryism.

I think that's something of an exaggeration. There can be few more ardently republican nations on earth than the USA but they hate socialists far more than monarchs.

They hate both, at least in their own country.

The US was built on a revolution against King George III and his government and there are probably even more socialists in the US now in terms of Bernie Sanders and AOC supporters than Americans who would restore the monarchy
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
    No, Monarchy = Toryism.

They hate both, at least in their own country.

The US was built on a revolution against King George III and his government and there are probably even more socialists in the US now in terms of Bernie Sanders and AOC supporters than Americans who would restore the monarchy
    The Americans haven't recently killed any monarchs, to my knowledge.

But it's not that long ago they were industriously killing socialists, including in their own country.
This discussion has been closed.