Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden’s pressing for the WH2024 primaries to start with S Carolina – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    M45 said:

This is just nasty and unbecoming. Meghan looks like a school bully.

https://twitter.com/benjaminbutter/status/1600875945174487040

Exactly right. If you don't like curtseying to monarchs don't marry their grandsons.

She doesn't look like a bully. She looks as though she's saying I'm glad I'm free of that garbage now, and I'm going to mock it.

As for "liking" it, so it's not OK to do it and only pretend to like it? You really have to see those five fingers when somebody's only holding up four - you must genuinely love Big Brother?

Why should two people who want to get married not get married, assuming they're above the legal age, not married to anybody else, not closely related, etc.?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Not sure I get the link between Scottish independence and sex. Unless you mean a one night stand that's great whilst it lasts and you then spend the rest of your life regretting.

Independence would be both regrettable and irreversible, like an incurable STI.
    Only if you’re English and relying on Scotland to continue to subsidise Tory incompetent, corrupt fuckups.
    Scotland gets net subsidy from Westminster not the other way round
    Then why not accept Scottish independence and save yourself some money? It would allow you to reduce hedge fund managers’ tax burden?
    As it would see a hard border between England and Scotland now, hugely damaging exporters on both sides of the border, weaken our international standing and put English and Scottish relations at their lowest since Flodden Field. Before the Act of Union England and Scotland were at war several times every century
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,778
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Mid evening all :)

To try to break the monotony with one of my tedious ramblings might be the epitome of throwing good bandwidth after bad...

Harry and Meghan have never bothered me - I quite like them. I made the ultimate faux pas of saying this among friends at lunch last Saturday - I'd have been better off shouting "Down with Big Brother" at the 15-minute Hate in all honesty. You could even say something positive about Jeremy Corbyn and get a better reaction than I got.

The poor woman has been vilified in a way usually reserved for Labour Party leaders or participants in "I'm A Celebrity".

It seems, despite Mark Harper's "efforts", the trains won't be running next week. Did he seriously think an 8% offer, over two years, was going to be greeted with gratitude by the RMT? I see the Mail has started to play up the "Labour are in the Unions pocket" line and after Zahawi's atrocious comments last weekend, the stench of desperation or Lynton Crosby seems to be prevailing the Conservative Party.

The average pounding received by @TSE's dockside hooker will be as nothing compared to the metaphorical tarring and feathering rounded off by ritual disembowelling inflicted on the Conservatives at the next election - well, perhaps.

The suggestion is that Number 10 (Lynton Crosby?) sabotaged a possible rail deal. If so, they calculate voters will blame Labour for rail strikes. I can't see it myself.
    More on this here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/08/mick-lynch-government-is-deliberately-ensuring-rail-strikes-go-ahead
    The counter would be in refusing to accept they know is a long term aspiration of the government the unions are deliberately ensuring the strikes are going ahead

Both are meaningless positioning statements trying to assign blame and should be ignored

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Just looking at the Covid data. The uptake of the autumn booster among those in their 50s and early 60s has been a bit shite.

There has also been a lack of a public information campaign to persuade the daft buggers to get jabbed.

Will this lead to an uptick in cases over the winter? Hmmmm.

It has ticked up a bit. 110 cases in my hospital now, up from 60 a month ago. It hit nearly 200 early October. Lots of other respiratory ailments.

One of my neighbours had seven hours in children's ED with her 7 month baby with a temp of 39.5. Ram packed with poorly kids, several with scarlet fever and a lot of anxiety about the nasty Streptococcus. 2 paeds doctors on so long waits but the nurses doing sterling work assessing and monitoring a heaving waiting area. Well worth a 7% real terms pay cut. They should have got jobs on hedge funds if they wanted to get rich I suppose.

Each doctor is more valuable than 100 hedge fund managers, despite what @HYUFD may try to tell us.
    It is the tax hedge fund managers pay that helps keep the NHS going (and private doctors fees too if they have private health insurance)
    You’re good at quoting statistics, @HYUFD. What percentage of tax is paid by hedge fund managers and what percentage is paid by NHS workers?
    The City of London contributes £76 billion each year to the Treasury, without which the NHS would collapse

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/supporting-businesses/economic-research/research-publications/total-tax-contribution-of-uk-financial-services
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,871
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Not sure I get the link between Scottish independence and sex. Unless you mean a one night stand that's great whilst it lasts and you then spend the rest of your life regretting.

Only if you’re English and relying on Scotland to continue to subsidise Tory incompetent, corrupt fuckups.
    Then why not accept Scottish independence and save yourself some money? It would allow you to reduce hedge fund managers’ tax burden?
    As it would see a hard border between England and Scotland now, hugely damaging exporters on both sides of the border, weaken our international standing and put English and Scottish relations at their lowest since Flodden Field. Before the Act of Union England and Scotland were at war several times every century
    A hard border could easily be avoided by both Scotland and England rejoining the EU, or at least the single market, and redress some of the damage to international standing caused by your party’s incompetent execution of Brexit.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Ind hold in Lincolnshire.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Mid evening all :)

To try to break the monotony with one of my tedious ramblings might be the epitome of throwing good bandwidth after bad...

Harry and Meghan have never bothered me - I quite like them. I made the ultimate faux pas of saying this among friends at lunch last Saturday - I'd have been better off shouting "Down with Big Brother" at the 15-minute Hate in all honesty. You could even say something positive about Jeremy Corbyn and get a better reaction than I got.

The poor woman has been vilified in a way usually reserved for Labour Party leaders or participants in "I'm A Celebrity".

It seems, despite Mark Harper's "efforts", the trains won't be running next week. Did he seriously think an 8% offer, over two years, was going to be greeted with gratitude by the RMT? I see the Mail has started to play up the "Labour are in the Unions pocket" line and after Zahawi's atrocious comments last weekend, the stench of desperation or Lynton Crosby seems to be prevailing the Conservative Party.

The average pounding received by @TSE's dockside hooker will be as nothing compared to the metaphorical tarring and feathering rounded off by ritual disembowelling inflicted on the Conservatives at the next election - well, perhaps.

The more there is fear of militant unions again the better for the Tories actually
    Even 30% of Con voters support the Paramedics striking. It is not so simple as you claim.

The train drivers however

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/11/29/britons-tend-oppose-planned-rmt-rail-strikes-winte
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

A hard border could easily be avoided by both Scotland and England rejoining the EU, or at least the single market, and redress some of the damage to international standing caused by your party’s incompetent execution of Brexit.
    Not happening, certainly on the English side so the customs posts would be built from Cumbria to Northumberland.

Only 34% want to return to the EU or single market

https://institute.global/policy/moving-how-british-public-views-brexit-and-what-it-wants-future-relationship-european-union
  • M45M45 Posts: 216
    DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Exactly right. If you don't like curtseying to monarchs don't marry their grandsons.

She doesn't look like a bully. She looks as though she's saying I'm glad I'm free of that garbage now, and I'm going to mock it.

As for "liking" it, so it's not OK to do it and only pretend to like it? You really have to see those five fingers when somebody's only holding up four - you must genuinely love Big Brother?

Why should two people who want to get married not get married, assuming they're above the legal age, not married to anybody else, not closely related, etc.?
    If she were trading as Mrs Windsor, or Mme Capet, I would think you had the makings of a point. I am quite prepared to finger the Duchess of Sussex as a predatory social climber.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

WillG said:

South Carolina first doesn't just help Biden. It would help Harris and Trump.

The Republicans organise their primaries separately and are sticking to tradition with Iowa and NH first.
    Indeed so.

There’s a lot of furious Democrats out there, suggesting that their re-arrangement of the primary season is motivated primarily at ensuring that no challengers to Biden get through.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyM377yV4U
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Just looking at the Covid data. The uptake of the autumn booster among those in their 50s and early 60s has been a bit shite.

There has also been a lack of a public information campaign to persuade the daft buggers to get jabbed.

It has ticked up a bit. 110 cases in my hospital now, up from 60 a month ago. It hit nearly 200 early October. Lots of other respiratory ailments.

One of my neighbours had seven hours in children's ED with her 7 month baby with a temp of 39.5. Ram packed with poorly kids, several with scarlet fever and a lot of anxiety about the nasty Streptococcus. 2 paeds doctors on so long waits but the nurses doing sterling work assessing and monitoring a heaving waiting area. Well worth a 7% real terms pay cut. They should have got jobs on hedge funds if they wanted to get rich I suppose.

Each doctor is more valuable than 100 hedge fund managers, despite what @HYUFD may try to tell us.
    It is the tax hedge fund managers pay that helps keep the NHS going (and private doctors fees too if they have private health insurance)
    Yes, they richly deserve their unlimited bonuses for their selfless work.

(Strangely the government doesn't seem bothered about their inflation busting rise in bonuses. I wonder why?)
    They need the taxes?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

You’re good at quoting statistics, @HYUFD. What percentage of tax is paid by hedge fund managers and what percentage is paid by NHS workers?
    The City of London contributes £76 billion each year to the Treasury, without which the NHS would collapse

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/supporting-businesses/economic-research/research-publications/total-tax-contribution-of-uk-financial-services
    How much of that is contributed by hedge fund managers, and how does it compare to the tax contributed by NHS workers? Could you please answer the question asked this time instead of quoting statistics that weren’t asked for. For the avoidance of doubt, I asked about hedge fund managers, not the wider City of London.
    Tres said:

Meghan seems like an incredibly unpleasant character.

Anyone who winds up the likes of Piers Morgan and Farage is alright by me.
    Her smirk in that clip was really nasty
    I’ll be in the UK next week, first time in 4 years. Good to know that, if I screw up and drive on the wrong side of the road and kill someone, the British courts only hand out suspended sentences.
    Interesting that one ethnic Ind candidate held well in Lincolnshire but another did very badly.

Tres said:

Like I say, Ratner moment.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Sandpit said:

I’ll be in the UK next week, first time in 4 years. Good to know that, if I screw up and drive on the wrong side of the road and kill someone, the British courts only hand out suspended sentences.

If you get out in time.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

If she were trading as Mrs Windsor, or Mme Capet, I would think you had the makings of a point. I am quite prepared to finger the Duchess of Sussex as a predatory social climber.
    Another prissy obsessive who gets needlessly triggered by this girl. The whole thing Meghan thing is just a silly soap opera for the entertainment of that part of the masses who don’t like football. Get over it.

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,003

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
    He's right. She seems like a teenage edgelord, thinking she's oh-so-clever for mocking a woman who has dedicated 70 years to public service.
    Goodnight all. As I don’t like football or royalty, does that mean I’m not part of the masses?
    Sandpit said:

Don't be utterly, utterly stupid. Read your post back to yourself, and accept that every single syllable of it is entirely moronic.

There aren't British courts, there are the courts of England and Wales. And they enforce the law in such a way that I am OK with living in the country. You want to tell us about the sentences the courts of your chosen country of residence imposes on adulterers and gays and such?

I expect the money is good enough to make it OK.
    DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Marrying someone from a different national culture and then mocking their traditions in a public documentary shows a real streak of nastiness.
    WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
    He's right. She seems like a teenage edgelord, thinking she's oh-so-clever for mocking a woman who has dedicated 70 years to public service.
    Just ignore her then. Why watch this trash if it’s just going to upset you?

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
    It might be a case of give someone enough rope... So far doing that has been her ticket to greater fame and attention, but at some point it tips into infamy and notoriety.

M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Another prissy obsessive who gets needlessly triggered by this girl. The whole thing Meghan thing is just a silly soap opera for the entertainment of that part of the masses who don’t like football. Get over it.
    Erm, it's the news du jour, there is no football on today, we need something to talk about, and I am very happy to enter into specific and quantifiable 4 figure bets with you that I am financially and educationally a lot further from "the masses" than you are.

Amiable post, though. "prissy obsessive." You OK?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,165
    Meghan really does drive some ppl bonkers.
  • WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life

Certain people have become addicted to outrage. The ones that go on and on and on about Megan are stone cold junkies.
    M45 said:

M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Erm, it's the news du jour, there is no football on today, we need something to talk about, and I am very happy to enter into specific and quantifiable 4 figure bets with you that I am financially and educationally a lot further from "the masses" than you are.

Yup. Are you? Get over it - either don’t watch the show or stop whining about it. She’s probably being a bit bitchy about her inlaws but that’s hardly rare is it? It’s just trashy entertainment
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,048

WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
    It might be a case of give someone enough rope... So far doing that has been her ticket to greater fame and attention, but at some point it tips into infamy and notoriety.
    I think it's a simple case of running out of material. She was only in the Royal circle for a short time; Mother Hubbard's cupboard of racist incidents is clearly a little bare, so she's now on to the times that they had the effrontery to ask her to observe royal protocol.
    Still waiting for the Medway result in a very Ukippy part of Kent.
    Tres said:

Keep working on that whole having first-hand opinions thang. You might possibly get there in the end.

Not nailed on, mind.
    edited December 2022

WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life

Certain people have become addicted to outrage. The ones that go on and on and on about Megan are stone cold junkies.
    Netflix must be delighted with all their hooked, outraged viewers doing all their publicity for them
    edited December 2022

WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life

Netflix must be delighted with all the hooked outraged viewers doing all their publicity for them
    How many people are actually watching on Netflix though - rather than commenting on it, or commenting on the commentary?

It has all the makings of a masssive flop, at a time where many are already cancelling subscriptions.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,165
    M45 said:

Tres said:

Keep working on that whole having first-hand opinions thang. You might possibly get there in the end.

Not nailed on, mind.
    It's the royal family, my instinct is usually to ignore them but it's hard to miss the Meghan outrage.
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Rump Britain is the term, not "England". If Scotland goes independent, that doesn't make England independent.

Will the SNP be running with the line that there won't be a hard border after independence if RB follows the Scottish lead and rejoins the EU (or SM), but there will be a hard border if RB chooses petulantly to stay out of the EU and SM? I hope so.

In other words, you don't have a clue what will happen at the border, but if it's bad it will be England's fault, and independence is Good whatever it actually leads to in practice.

I'm reminded of when Nicola Sturgeon whose party got its a*se kicked to kingdom come in the 2014 referendum offered her sage advice to David Cameron in 2016 on how Remain could win the EUref. Doubtless from the Scottish nationalist point of view that sounds sensible and nothing to laugh about at all. I mean she's as good as he is, any day of the week.

Might as well start blaming the English right now for the refugee camps on the Scottish side of the border.

I suspect the reason why Sindy is currently doing well in the polls is because the England football team (which I'm guessing has some black players) has been celebrating its progress in the World Cup. There are Scots whose ears emit steam whenever they remember that England won the same competition in 1966.

What is the SNP's policy on making an EU application anyway other than the political equivalent of supporting whoever is playing against England? They'd have to move towards adopting the euro, because if you join a club you have to sign up to its rules. But if a voter says so on the doorstep just tell them oh no, we can do what we like if we're independent, join whatever we like too, because it's like being a big boy and eating as many sweets as you want, without your parents hiding them or telling you off.

I won't be surprised if "Hit the Road, Jock" feeling starts to surpass "Please Don't Go" in England. Perhaps Nigel Farage will buy into it.

M45 said:

M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Yup. Are you? Get over it - either don’t watch the show or stop whining about it. She’s probably being a bit bitchy about her inlaws but that’s hardly rare is it? It’s just trashy entertainment
    Yeah, I am just arbitrarily chatting shite about the events of the day, like I was chatting about cricket on Tuesday and footie tomorrow. You, for someone who sees the irrelevance of this particular topic, are doing so much liking of other posts saying how irrelevant it all is that I am praying your pacemaker is in good working order and you haven't been skipping the warfarin.

"prissy obsessive." Impressive.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

How much of that is contributed by hedge fund managers, and how does it compare to the tax contributed by NHS workers? Could you please answer the question asked this time instead of quoting statistics that weren’t asked for. For the avoidance of doubt, I asked about hedge fund managers, not the wider City of London.
    A large proportion and NHS workers take out just as much as they contribute in tax by definition through their taxpayer funded salaries and even more if they regularly use the NHS.

Hedge fund managers are not paid by taxpayers they are amongst the highest rate taxpayers and some don't even use the NHS but have private insurance

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,775
    I thought today's big Royal news was the release of the 50p coins bearing the head of the King. Did anyone rush themselves to a post office in the hope of receiving one as change? Anyone seen one in the wild yet?
    Tres said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Not nailed on, mind.
    It's the royal family, my instinct is usually to ignore them but it's hard to miss the Meghan outrage.
    Indeed, me too. It’s everywhere. I’d rather talk about something more interesting but every other post on PB is someone whining about her and/or Harry
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,308
    edited December 2022

WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
    I think it's a simple case of running out of material. She was only in the Royal circle for a short time; Mother Hubbard's cupboard of racist incidents is clearly a little bare, so she's now on to the times that they had the effrontery to ask her to observe royal protocol.
    Yep, she's burning through the notes she took

Episode six will be "a corgi looked at me funny" or "a guardsman ate watermelon in the same room"

And then that's it. After this they have no coin

The Royals just need to sit tight and wait for her looks to fade, which, given her age, will happen any day now. Whatever filters she uses

She will then be a shrew with a grievance, but nothing else to share
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    Sandpit said:

There’s a lot of furious Democrats out there, suggesting that their re-arrangement of the primary season is motivated primarily at ensuring that no challengers to Biden get through.

I'm not convinced -- I think if Biden runs again he wins easily whatever order the states go in, and I think he thinks that; I don't think he's hedging against a potential close primary. I liked the take the 538 podcast had, that it was partly about getting Iowa out of the top spot after their 2020 fiasco, and partly for the benefit of Jim Clyburn, who is both somebody who Biden owes a favour to after 2020 and also somebody that Democrats in DC need to deal with and don't want to piss off, and partly a general feeling in the party that the current early states aren't as representative of party feeling as they once were.

Not clear that the committee's recommendation is really in their power to enforce anyhow, of course...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life
    Yep, she's burning through the notes she took

Episode six will be "a corgi looked at me funny" or "a guardsman ate watermelon in the same room"

And then that's it. After this they have no coin

The Royals just need to sit tight and wait for her looks to fade, which, given her age, will happen any day now. Whatever filters she uses

She will then be a shrew with a grievance, but nothing else to share
    If she runs out of material she can always ask ChatGPT to come up with some grievances.
  • I thought today's big Royal news was the release of the 50p coins bearing the head of the King. Did anyone rush themselves to a post office in the hope of receiving one as change? Anyone seen one in the wild yet?

Nothing will surpass the wild untrammeled joy that this inspired.

Sandpit said:

WillG said:

Tres said:

LOL. Get a life

Netflix must be delighted with all the hooked outraged viewers doing all their publicity for them
    How many people are actually watching on Netflix though - rather than commenting on it, or commenting on the commentary?

It has all the makings of a masssive flop, at a time where many are already cancelling subscriptions.
    I hope it is a flop. Then perhaps Netflix will put more money into decent thrillers and dramas and less into mundane royalty soaps. The best thing is if people ignore this stuff: not much sign of that so far
    edited December 2022
    M45 said:

Tres said:

I think she looks like a sweet young woman with attitude.

Surely sales of the book are expected to be greater in the US than in Britain? I can't see the curtsey thing damaging the sales at all, being more likely to boost them, but we shall see. Sales were never going to be big in Maidenhead etc. anyway.

Tres said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Not nailed on, mind.
    Indeed, me too. It’s everywhere. I’d rather talk about something more interesting but every other post on PB is someone whining about her and/or Harry
    Which is why you never post about it.

If you did that would make you a "prissy obsessive" obsessive, wouldn't it? And I don't see someone as bright as you falling into that trap. No, siree.

I thought today's big Royal news was the release of the 50p coins bearing the head of the King. Did anyone rush themselves to a post office in the hope of receiving one as change? Anyone seen one in the wild yet?

Using the coinage to troll. A long and noble tradition.

I haven’t seen a 50 pence piece of any kind “in the wild” for about five years. Has anyone? Does anyone use cash for anything anymore?
    M45 said:

M45 said:

M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Yeah, I am just arbitrarily chatting shite about the events of the day, like I was chatting about cricket on Tuesday and footie tomorrow. You, for someone who sees the irrelevance of this particular topic, are doing so much liking of other posts saying how irrelevant it all is that I am praying your pacemaker is in good working order and you haven't been skipping the warfarin.

Get over it
    DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Surely sales of the book are expected to be greater in the US than in Britain? I can't see the curtsey thing damaging the sales at all, being more likely to boost them, but we shall see. Sales were never going to be big in Maidenhead etc. anyway.
    "with attitude." Seen that expression before in a very specific context.

Brown sugar, yes?
    Ind hold in Medway.

I haven’t seen a 50 pence piece of any kind “in the wild” for about five years. Has anyone? Does anyone use cash for anything anymore?
    Mortgage advisor has told us to use cash exclusively for the pub because banks these days scrutinise your bank statements and any pub transactions are flagged as a risk factor for alcoholism and consequently debt default.

M45 said:

M45 said:

M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Get over it
    Get help. Obsessive disorders are highly treatable these days. SSRIs and cognitive therapy are a good starting point.
    M45 said:

Tres said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Not nailed on, mind.

If you did that would make you a "prissy obsessive" obsessive, wouldn't it? And I don't see someone as bright as you falling into that trap. No, siree.
    Move on

Tres said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Not nailed on, mind.
    Nonetheless it is interesting that H&M have majorly fucked up here. So far

I wonder if Netflix have played a blinder. Talked them into a big series with revelatons, but cleverly used the edit to explode them. That's a further, delicious twist in the narrative. And, frankly, it is what you would do if you were a Netflix executive. A mere repeat of the Oprah interview is dull
    DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Most Americans admire the Queen and have a strong sense of politeness. She could have politely declined to curtsey and people would have respected it. Making fun of an old woman is not something people will.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056

At a council car park last week. It takes coins (not notes) or payment by app. No cards. A day's parking is £9.60. The machines are surrounded by tourists trying to download the shitty app because they don't have £9.60 in coins. For occasions like this, I make sure I have about £20 of shrapnel in the centre console.

M45 said:

Tres said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Not nailed on, mind.

Move on

Are you on a 56kps modem?
    M45 said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

Not nailed on, mind.

Move on

Are you on a 56kps modem?
    56? Luxury! 14.4kbps is the modem for the great mass of people...
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited December 2022
    On topic, the Dems can't make Iowa and NH schedule their primaries later. All they can do is strip them of delegates and promise not to campaign there. But Iowa and NH were never important for the delegates, they're important for the media attention.

This opens the field for some audacious contender to run against the party, campaign in Iowa and New Hampshire and win. If A.N. Other wins Iowa and New Hampshire, the media can't not cover them.
    M45 said:

DJ41 said:

M45 said:

Tres said:

"with attitude." Seen that expression before in a very specific context.

Brown sugar, yes?
    Are you making two musical references, one to a group and another to a song? I had neither of them in mind, nor anything else as subtle.

On topic, the Dems can't make Iowa and NH schedule their primaries later. All they can do is strip them of delegates and promise not to campaign there. But Iowa and NH were never important for the delegates, they're important for the media attention.

This opens the field for some audacious contender to run against the party, campaign in Iowa and New Hampshire and win. If A.N. Other wins Iowa and New Hampshire, the media can't not cover them.

But it means the media coverage in the tallies shown on "who is winning" will exclude them. So if it was challenger with Iowa and New Hampshire, then Biden with South Carolina and Nevada and Georgia, he would be miles ahead in the perceptions game.
    edited December 2022
    Elon is right now setting fire to Twitter. In real time. Amazing

No Oxford comma. TSE will disapprove!

The typography is rubbish too.

1. Look at the "ti" and "rity" in "nations" and "prosperity".
    2. The tittles are stupidly angular.
    3. The first tittle got shifted right to avoid a clash with the comma after "peace", but the problem should have been solved some other way.
    4. There's too much kerning between "a" and "c".
    5. The shortened descender of the "p" above the "n" doesn't fit with the feel.
    6. I would have done without the swashes on the final "e" of "peace" in the first line and the initial "n" of "nations" in the last line.
    7. The symmetry of the two overlaps is fine, but the word "and" between them should be shifted a bit to the left.

Somebody was actually paid for this work?

It's reminiscent of some of the designs done for Donald Trump, when presumably nobody was brave enough to tell the head honcho that what he thought looked great actually looked like cr*p.

DJ41 said:

Some of the Schengen countries have amazingly low barriers for residency. Seems that any digital nomad with €27K in the bank, who may for example work for their own company, can get a 12-month permit in Croatia and pay 0% income tax. Meanwhile a layabout (who mustn't do any paid work) can get a Non-Lucrative visa from Spain if they're able to show a similar amount in the bank. This is mental.

Why?
    Okay, "mental" is the wrong word. I am just surprised by it. Investment residency in a country like New Zealand is only open to people who are a lot richer.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

Foxy said:

What do hedge fund managers actually DO??? ... that is actually useful?
  • New thread.
This discussion has been closed.