Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden’s pressing for the WH2024 primaries to start with S Carolina – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited December 2022 in General
imageBiden’s pressing for the WH2024 primaries to start with S Carolina – politicalbetting.com

There is a big argument going on in the Democratic party about the sequencing of primaries for the 2024 White House race. Above is a table of what happened in the first four primaries last time and how Biden struggled in the first 3 but it all came good for him in South Carolina.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    To be honest if Biden does run again I doubt Harris or Buttigieg would challenge him, though he might swap the latter for the former as his VP nominee and try and get a judicial appointment for Harris.
    He might just face a token challenge from the populist left by AOC so the primary timetable won't make a huge difference
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    Coincidental starting primary.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Is it a given that someone runs against Biden? Does someone normally challenge a sitting president?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Biden surely isn't expecting to be part of a proper contest, is he?!

Surely, if he runs, he more-or-less wins the nomination on the nod.

Anyway, if poor performance in the first three contests didn't harm his chances in an open field, I can't see why it would matter more once he's the incumbent.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    South Carolina first doesn't just help Biden. It would help Harris and Trump.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Endillion said:

Biden surely isn't expecting to be part of a proper contest, is he?!

Surely, if he runs, he more-or-less wins the nomination on the nod.

Anyway, if poor performance in the first three contests didn't harm his chances in an open field, I can't see why it would matter more once he's the incumbent.

It's relevant that although he's not very inspiring, he's not disliked by many either - progressives in particular feel he's not very effective or interesting, but hey, better than the Republicans. So there won't be a serious insurgency as happened to Lyndon Johnson, unless he starts to clearly fail.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Selebian said:

Is it a given that someone runs against Biden? Does someone normally challenge a sitting president?

Not usually someone of substance.

I'm still not sure he will run, even if he says he intendes to. No sense being a lame duck, and it keeps a lid on internal tensions whilst (hopefully) it becomes clearer if Trump is going to be the opponent (I think he will be). If things change, or his state changes (he seems reasonable physically, and he's always gaffed), he can then try to influence who takes over instead.
  • Options
    FPT

@ping said:

We have a problem. This could well happen again.

Time to force all Americans to pass a UK driving test before being allowed on our roads, then.

We can’t have foreigners exploiting loopholes in our justice system. That kids family deserve better from our government.

We have to stop the next Anne Sacoolas.

........................................................................................................................................

Good afternoon

Then maybe all UK citizens will have to pass a US, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, South African test before they could drive in those countries

I quote all those countries as I have hired and driven a car in all of them
  • Options
    M45M45 Posts: 216

FPT

@ping said:

Time to force all Americans to pass a UK driving test before being allowed on our roads, then.

We can’t have foreigners exploiting loopholes in our justice system. That kids family deserve better from our government.

........................................................................................................................................

Good afternoon

Then maybe all UK citizens will have to pass a US, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, South African test before they could drive in those countries

This is vindictive nonsense. The offence is worth a suspended sentence at the absolute maximum

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/causing-death-by-careless-or-inconsiderate-driving/

And I genuinely don't believe anyone who claims never to have done something at least equally stupid and dangerous, and got away with it.
  • Options
    Bugger. Thought I'd try chatGPT to see what the fuss is about, and I hate to say it, but it's impressive.

First go, I asked it this: suggest a concert programme for a brass band: 8 pieces of music, none longer than 9 minutes, no arrangements of pop songs, but musicals and films are fine

A couple of its suggestions are 'categories' rather than specific pieces, but I think this would stand up.

Here are some ideas for a concert program for a brass band that includes 8 pieces of music, none longer than 9 minutes, and does not include arrangements of pop songs:
    1. "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland - This iconic work, written in 1942, is a perfect opening piece for a brass band concert. It's energetic and dramatic, and it showcases the full range of the brass instruments.
    2. "A Choral Fanfare" by James Curnow - This piece, written in 1991, is a vibrant and uplifting work that features a choir singing along with the brass band. It's a great way to add some variety to the program and involve the audience.
    3. "Music from West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein - This classic musical, written in 1957, features some of the most iconic and beloved songs in American musical theater. A brass band arrangement of one or more of these songs would be a highlight of the concert.
    4. "March from 1941" by John Williams - This famous march, written for the film "1941," is one of Williams' most well-known works. It's fast-paced and exciting, and it would be a great addition to the concert program.
    5. "The Marriage of Figaro" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - This famous opera, written in 1786, includes a number of famous arias and choruses that would be well-suited to a brass band arrangement.
    6. "Irish Tune from County Derry" by Percy Grainger - This lively and energetic folk tune, written in 1913, is a great way to showcase the brass band's musicianship and versatility.
    7. "Overture to Candide" by Leonard Bernstein - This upbeat and humorous overture, written for the musical "Candide," would be a great addition to the concert program.
    8. "Finale from Symphony No. 5" by Ludwig van Beethoven - This iconic work, written in 1808, is one of Beethoven's most famous and enduring compositions. A brass band arrangement of the finale would be a fitting and triumphant conclusion to the concert.

• Options

Bugger. Thought I'd try chatGPT to see what the fuss is about, and I hate to say it, but it's impressive.

First go, I asked it this: suggest a concert programme for a brass band: 8 pieces of music, none longer than 9 minutes, no arrangements of pop songs, but musicals and films are fine

A couple of its suggestions are 'categories' rather than specific pieces, but I think this would stand up.

Here are some ideas for a concert program for a brass band that includes 8 pieces of music, none longer than 9 minutes, and does not include arrangements of pop songs:
    1. "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland - This iconic work, written in 1942, is a perfect opening piece for a brass band concert. It's energetic and dramatic, and it showcases the full range of the brass instruments.
    2. "A Choral Fanfare" by James Curnow - This piece, written in 1991, is a vibrant and uplifting work that features a choir singing along with the brass band. It's a great way to add some variety to the program and involve the audience.
    3. "Music from West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein - This classic musical, written in 1957, features some of the most iconic and beloved songs in American musical theater. A brass band arrangement of one or more of these songs would be a highlight of the concert.
    4. "March from 1941" by John Williams - This famous march, written for the film "1941," is one of Williams' most well-known works. It's fast-paced and exciting, and it would be a great addition to the concert program.
    5. "The Marriage of Figaro" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - This famous opera, written in 1786, includes a number of famous arias and choruses that would be well-suited to a brass band arrangement.
    6. "Irish Tune from County Derry" by Percy Grainger - This lively and energetic folk tune, written in 1913, is a great way to showcase the brass band's musicianship and versatility.
    7. "Overture to Candide" by Leonard Bernstein - This upbeat and humorous overture, written for the musical "Candide," would be a great addition to the concert program.
    8. "Finale from Symphony No. 5" by Ludwig van Beethoven - This iconic work, written in 1808, is one of Beethoven's most famous and enduring compositions. A brass band arrangement of the finale would be a fitting and triumphant conclusion to the concert.

Then I asked it this: who is the better parent, gertrude in hamlet, or volumnia in coriolanus?

Chatgpt's response, in about 5 seconds:

It is difficult to definitively say who is the better parent between Gertrude in "Hamlet" and Volumnia in "Coriolanus" because it ultimately depends on one's personal beliefs and values. However, some possible arguments could be made for either character.

One argument in favor of Gertrude as the better parent is that she ultimately helps her son, Hamlet, achieve his goal of avenging his father's death. Although she initially seems to be complicit in her husband's murder and is criticized by Hamlet for her hasty remarriage to his uncle, she eventually helps him by providing him with the opportunity to kill Claudius and bringing about the downfall of the corrupt Danish court.

On the other hand, an argument in favor of Volumnia as the better parent is that she is fiercely protective of her son, Coriolanus, and tries to guide him towards a successful career as a military leader. Despite her overbearing nature, she ultimately convinces him to spare the lives of his enemies and avert a civil war, showing that she has his best interests at heart.

Ultimately, whether Gertrude or Volumnia is the better parent depends on how one views their actions and motivations, and what qualities they believe make a good parent.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Selebian said:

FPT (which I don't often bother with, but to answer a - good - question asked by Topping):

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Quite a revealing comment from Meghan Markle. She seemed to see the Royal Family as a kind of British Kardashians.

@chrisshipitv
    Meghan says “I thought it was a joke” when she was told she would have to curtsy to Harry’s grandmother, the Queen on their first meeting.
    In her interview, Meghan performs a deep bow with her arms outstretched and says “Pleasure to meet you Your Majesty” and asked “was that ok?”

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1600805708249051137

She's American. The Declaration of Independence states that "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." and so it's hardly surprising that she is bewildered by the idea of curtseying to somebody, especially in private to a member of her husband's family. I'm British, and a moderate monarchist, and it seems kind of archaic even to me. People forget how wide the cultural gap is between the UK and the US, on many dimensions.
    Maybe, but she chose to marry into that family and the traditions it comes with.
    That's true. I think she was mad to do so, the idea that a Black American woman marrying into the Royal Family under the gaze of the British press was going to be anything other than a total shitshow is for the birds. My own personal theory is that Harry married her precisely because he saw her as his exit from a life that had caused him nothing but misery. That exit is complicated of course. They seem like nice people and I wish them luck.
    '
    'A life that had caused him nothing but misery', it got him an Eton education, paid for staff, security and accomodation and motorcade and flights for life, a big taxpayer funded wedding and titles and a place in the line of succession he and his children still have
    Things he would have been unlikely to have in his life if he was Harry Windsor, ex army officer now Foxtons estate agent living in Wandsworth. And not a member of that awful racist family from this evil racist country.

1. A place at Eton as he is thick and wouldn’t have passed entrance.
    2. Choices of the regiments in the army he served in - wouldn’t have looked so dapper at his wedding in the Mercian Regiment’s dress uniform compared to HC.
    3. Serving in the army with huge protection - not for him an outpost like Kajaki as an irrelevant infantry officer.
    4. Invictus games - why would the brains behind it have Harry Windsor front it - nobody has heard of him.
    5. A job, would have been sacked as the social media photos showing him dressed as a nazi would have seen him out on his ear.
    6. A free house.
    7. Hot and cold running travel to Botswana for his third date amongst other global travels.
    8. A date with a C-list US actress.
    9. A dad he can ask for millions from to help set up home in a massive mansion in California.
    10. A deal to make a story about his relationship from Netflix.

So maybe he might realise one day that he actually owes all he has and has had to the people he is slamming and there is nothing of his personal genius in how he is in the position he is now.
    They have entrance exams at Eton? What's the point if they let in so many dumb boys?
    Only two questions on the paper: Who are your parents? How much money have they got?
    If you are minded to go there it is now fiendishly difficult to get into Eton. And once there it is indeed a hothouse with very little tolerance of slack academic achievement.

It suits many people to denigrate it and that usually comes with envy or resentment and that's fair enough I understand why; it's a club and you (they) are outside it. Plus its pupils often go on to run the world or close to it so who wouldn't be resentful of that.
    When stumbling across somebody who opposes schools like Eton how do you suss out if he or she is driven by resentment or by a genuine belief that such institutions are incompatible with even a semblance of equal opportunities?
    It would be interesting to conduct an experiment amongst anti-public school types. If at the right age, offer an all expenses paid place at Eton or Benenden to their offspring or, hand on heart, ask whether they would have liked their offspring to go to those schools.

I'm sure some - you I have no doubt - would stick to your line of sending your children to the local comp but it might nevertheless provoke an internal debate which would give some sort of a clue as to why people are in favour of them.
    For me: I absolutely would not send my children to a private school under any circumstances.

As for MightyAlex's question, that's trickier as I'd not be in favour of either option (assuming the first option is fee-paying school, not a great education open to everyone) but I guess I'd put my children and their children first and reluctantly abolish all fee paying schools, even though I'd prefer not to deprive other people of the choice.
    Interesting. Why so strongly against fee paying schools and giving your children what is often if not always, and then again often because of the ability to select on attitude rather than educational ability, a better education?
    My experience, working with students, teaching students and being engaged in school outreach projects has been that (generalisation, obviously) those educated in the state sector are more curious, questioning and open to new ideas that those educated privately.

This is, at least with regard to my experiences at work, obviously a skewed sample as I'm only looking at those who were sufficiently academically able to get a place at a Russell Group university. It makes sense, to some extent, that your typical state school kid who does that is actually smarter than your typical private school kid who will have had extra support, if needed.* In school outreach though, my experience is that the private school kids know the answers to the questions, but it's the state school kids who ask their own interesting questions.

I'm state school educated, so I no doubt have some of my own biases, but I have close friends and colleagues who were privately educated, so I'm not a hardcore class warrior. My own brother in law is deputy head in one of the fancier private schools in London.

*Which I guess begs the question, if my own kids turn out not to be hugely academic, why would I not want them to be coached into a 'good' university? The answer to which is that I'd be just as happy for them to be builders, joiners, plumbers, hairdressers etc if that's where their talents and interests lie.

Thanks v much and I actually answered in the previous thread but let's see what bright future this thread will give us!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2022
    Sounds a fun light hearted watch....everybody in Britain is racist appears to be the message.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11516413/Harry-Meghans-attack-racist-Britain-Prince-says-Royal-family-problem.html

If they want to be popular like the Kardashian's they appear to be going about it the wrong way.
  • Options
    Just Stop Oil: Skip lorry ploughs through park to dodge protests - and is then stopped by police

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/08/just-stop-oil-police-tell-furious-pedestrian-who-threw-orange/
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022
    Anne Sacoolas sentence:

"An immediate jail sentence would have needed Sacoolas to surrender to the court. And so the judge said the only real option was a suspended sentence plus a driving ban - in the UK."

What a disgraceful sentence. Great for anybody who commits an offence that carries a prison sentence. Just go abroad and the English court will suspend your sentence for you. Why not go further and give Sacoolas a medal? What's he called in the White House nowadays - Joe Trump, is it? Donald Biden?

Harry Dunn's mother is a very generous woman, saying she doesn't want Anne Sacoolas to be taken away from her children. Sacoolas should have f***ing thought about that before she drove on the wrong side of the road.
  • Options
    Impressive if true

In 1934, no Democratic senators lost re-election. But since 1934, every president, Democrat and Republican, has seen at least one senator from their party lose re-election in every single midterm cycle. Biden becomes the first president since FDR not to lose a single senator.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1600323951309295616?cxt=HHwWgMC4tfSJv7UsAAAA
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Sounds a fun light hearted watch....everybody in Britain is racist appears to be the message.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11516413/Harry-Meghans-attack-racist-Britain-Prince-says-Royal-family-problem.html

If they want to be popular like the Kardashian's they appear to be going about it the wrong way.

I haven't watched the show or done more than glance at a story about it on the BBC website, but might I gently suggest that the Mail's take might not be entirely impartial? They've a bit of a back story with Meghan and Harry, after all.

ETA: Since we seem to be discussing them a lot, do we have a handy* portmanteau for H&M? Meghry? Harrhan?

*annoying
  • Options
    edited December 2022

As Selebian says the Mail is the Mail, but strictly from a marketing perspective the message that everyone in Britain is racist would appear to have an audience, even if people who make it may then weasel out of the implication like Trevor Noah did in his imaginary massive racist backlash to Rishi.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    WillG said:

Agreed re Harris: it would clearly benefit her (and disadvantage Buttigieg) in the event of Biden not standing and South Carolina going first
  • Options

Just Stop Oil: Skip lorry ploughs through park to dodge protests - and is then stopped by police

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/08/just-stop-oil-police-tell-furious-pedestrian-who-threw-orange/

Ah. Well, that should appease those who were complaining about the police not doing anything then. :wink:
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542
    Off topic, but on the previous thread somebody linked to a league table of private schools. Out of curiosity I clicked on the link to Brighton College, and found this sentence, quoted verbatim with no punctuation changes:

Brighton was one of the first schools to introduce gender neutral school uniforms and toilets and students speak of the constant initiatives introduced to make them better global citizens.

I mean, how woke can you get for boarding fees of a mere £56k? Even the toilets are proud of the efforts to make them better global citizens.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    @Selebian

You can have close friends who went to top private schools and still be a hardcore class warrior. C'mon!
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

"An immediate jail sentence would have needed Sacoolas to surrender to the court. And so the judge said the only real option was a suspended sentence plus a driving ban - in the UK."

What a disgraceful sentence. Great for anybody who commits an offence that carries a prison sentence. Just go abroad and the English court will suspend your sentence for you. Why not go further and give Sacoolas a medal? What's he called in the White House nowadays - Joe Trump, is it? Donald Biden?

Harry Dunn's mother is a very generous woman, saying she doesn't want Anne Sacoolas to be taken away from her children. Sacoolas should have f***ing thought about that before she drove on the wrong side of the road.

You must be bloody furious about the Salisbury poisoners, presumably?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

They already do. Or at least, they do in US and Oz if they are to be there for more than three months.

Bane of my uncle's life when he moved to California.
  • Options

2 things can be true at once
    1. The royal family is prob a difficult institution to be part of & some media coverage of Harry & Meghan was tinged with racism
    2. H&M haven't covered themselves in glory, seem to approach charity work as PR & there's workplace bullying allegations…

Everyone would have been better off had they decided to leave the Royal Family (fair play) then gone & lived their lives rather than made multimillion £ Netflix docs about things from which no one comes off well, despite their insistence they are saints & everyone else villains

https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1600898454842220544

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,303
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

They already do. Or at least, they do in US and Oz if they are to be there for more than three months.

To be fair my hires were during holidays in those countries, not extensive stays
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

I'm with Harry Dunn's mother. I don't imagine Sacoolas deliberately drove on the wrong side of the road. Had she been under the influence of alcohol, or phoning while driving, I'd have a different view.
  • Options

"David Olusoga says UK had 'pretty toxic debate about the EU' and adds that 'immigration was at the absolute centre' and 'is very often in this country a cipher for race'"

It still makes me laugh how the limiting of low skilled white people to the UK is seen as racial prejudice.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

To be fair my hires were during holidays in those countries, not extensive stays
    I think you can drive on a foreign licence for the same length of time as a tourist visa. After that, you need the test.

But equally, it wasn't the test that was the issue here, I don't think. It was the fact the car was wrong hand drive.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kinabalu said:

@Selebian

You can have close friends who went to top private schools and still be a hardcore class warrior. C'mon!

Did you not spot that I protest too much? Some of my best friends are black privately educated :wink:

I pretend to be a moderate, rather than a firebrand somewhere to the left of Mick Lynch, only to better win over some of those on the soft right/centre who may still be brought into the light of the socialist sunny uplands.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

I'm with Harry Dunn's mother. I don't imagine Sacoolas deliberately drove on the wrong side of the road. Had she been under the influence of alcohol, or phoning while driving, I'd have a different view.
    It's actually very easily done. After some time in America I had come back to this country and was driving on country lanes. Turned off a single track road on to a normal road and after about 600 yards realised, to my horror, I was driving on the right.

Fortunately, the road was deserted at the time so I didn't hit anything. But if there had been a cyclist, especially as it was poor visibility, I might not have been so lucky.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

Reckless driving should probably have a prison sentence. Fleeing from the police definitely should.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

2 things can be true at once
    1. The royal family is prob a difficult institution to be part of & some media coverage of Harry & Meghan was tinged with racism
    2. H&M haven't covered themselves in glory, seem to approach charity work as PR & there's workplace bullying allegations…

Everyone would have been better off had they decided to leave the Royal Family (fair play) then gone & lived their lives rather than made multimillion £ Netflix docs about things from which no one comes off well, despite their insistence they are saints & everyone else villains

https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1600898454842220544

I think it is probably the case that a couple in their situation would not be simply left alone even had they wanted to be. Better to set out your stall if you are going to be in the market regardless perhaps.

But it is also very clearly true that they never wanted to be left alone, since their choice of topics to focus on rely upon them being part of all the media circus, and it would be impossible not to be. It cannot be something one is forced into to that extent. So the mawkishness faux reluctance of the appeals tends to grate.

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

If she hadn't obviously sought to evade any amount of justice in the first place I'm sure people would probably be more on the forgiving end, though to be frank most of us would probably have done the same in that situation (even if we would or should never have been in that situation).
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

@Selebian

Did you not spot that I protest too much? Some of my best friends are black privately educated :wink:

I pretend to be a moderate, rather than a firebrand somewhere to the left of Mick Lynch, only to better win over some of those on the soft right/centre who may still be brought into the light of the socialist sunny uplands.
    Works for me. I find the intense passion and bombast of true believers to be offputting! If I'm going radical, I want to be eased into it gently.
  • Options
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

Reckless driving should probably have a prison sentence. Fleeing from the police definitely should.
    If reckless driving had a prison sentence, we'd need a lot more prisons. I'd have sent three down this afternoon following my walk - all failed to stop at red lights at pedestrian crossings. And they had intent not to stop.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    The answer is on the tip of my tongue, Mr President. Was it NATO?

Vladimir Putin has vowed to continue attacking Ukraine's energy infrastructure despite millions being left without electricity or water.

"Yes, we do that. But who started it?" the Russian president said at an awards ceremony in the Kremlin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63907803
  • Options

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

If reckless driving had a prison sentence, we'd need a lot more prisons. I'd have sent three down this afternoon following my walk - all failed to stop at red lights at pedestrian crossings. And they had intent not to stop.
    Running a red light and killing someone as a result should definitely be a prison offence.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

It's actually very easily done. After some time in America I had come back to this country and was driving on country lanes. Turned off a single track road on to a normal road and after about 600 yards realised, to my horror, I was driving on the right.

Fortunately, the road was deserted at the time so I didn't hit anything. But if there had been a cyclist, especially as it was poor visibility, I might not have been so lucky.
    Yes, I've done it in France a few times - very briefly, but still potentially dangerous. Empty road at the start, in auto mode just start driving on the left...
  • Options
    WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

Death by dangerous driving is virtually guaranteed a prison sentence

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/crown-court/item/causing-death-by-dangerous-driving/

This was careless driving, not reckless nor dangerous, and there is absolutely no suggestion of fleeing the police
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2022
    Ooooh

Fruity letter from Julian Knight to the chief whip, posted on Twitter;

“With kind regards” lol

https://twitter.com/julianknight15/status/1600899565829648384
  • Options
    ping said:

Ooooh

Fruity letter from Julian Knight to the chief whip, posted on Twitter.

The party being a bit overcorrecting in taking action swiftly after complaints about being too slow?

Though to be pedantic, how can he be categorically state he is entirely innocent of wrongdoing if he doesn't even know what wrongdoing he is accused of?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    kle4 said:

Vladimir Putin has vowed to continue attacking Ukraine's energy infrastructure despite millions being left without electricity or water.

"Yes, we do that. But who started it?" the Russian president said at an awards ceremony in the Kremlin.

"Don't mention the special military operation."
  • Options
    WillG said:

"David Olusoga says UK had 'pretty toxic debate about the EU' and adds that 'immigration was at the absolute centre' and 'is very often in this country a cipher for race'"

It still makes me laugh how the limiting of low skilled white people to the UK is seen as racial prejudice.
    I think a key qualifier in that statement is 'very often'.
  • Options
    EXC: UK govt may not recognise a proposed new system in Scotland to allow people to legally change their gender. They're also not ruling out a legal challenge.

This could could hugely complicate matters for anyone changing gender in Scotland and then moving elsewhere in UK (1/5)

Same source told me that Scottish ministers wanted to paint Scotland as a "haven of inclusivity" in comparison to a "nasty Westminster".

https://twitter.com/BBCDavidWL/status/1600898263330144258
  • Options
    WillG said:

It's a joke because if the EU didn't already exist, people advocating the idea of a union of European countries would be accused of being white supremacists.
  • Options
    ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

Also a definite threat in the last part about publication.

I wonder if the Chief Whip will actually respond?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Entirely understandable nobody shouted, 'you, you stupid looking drunken twat.'

I wonder if anybody thought it though.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    WillG said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

Running a red light and killing someone as a result should definitely be a prison offence.
    Reckless driving is imprisonable, as is careless driving when it causes death. Running a red light is careless driving usually; occasionally reckless; depends on circumstances.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    FPT: Here's a weird idea I am unable to completely dismiss: It is not a secret that Meghan Markle does not get along well with many people. And that she is likely to use racism, real or not, in power struggles. So, it should have been obvious that she would cause problems for your royal family.

But someone introduced her to Harry anyway -- and I can't help wondering whether that whoever introduced them might have gotten the idea from an enemy of the UK, for instance that patron of "knavish tricks", "Czar" Putin.

Yes, it's weird, but I can't completely dismiss it.

(For the record, as an American I want to apologize for Meghan. Our Hollywood produces far too many defective personalities. Usually their damage is mostly done here.

And I should say I have a little sympathy for Meghan, since she chose a career for which she is unsuited. She has no obvious acting talent, and her looks don't fit any of the stereotypes Hollywood prefers.)
  • Options

A brass band arrangement of Figaro is like Samuel Beckett adapting PG Wodehouse novels for the stage.
  • Options
    Perhaps Harry ought to know that in this racist hellhole 29% of babies born in the UK have mothers who were born abroad.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

WillG said:

But the specific example mentioned - the debate about the EU - is clearly not about race. White supremacists love white immigration. In fact, if you were trying to explicitly test whether Britain's opposition to high levels of immigration was related to race or not, a great experiment would be to have a big national debate on immigration from a couple dozen white countries, and no non-white countries. But somehow the left has convinced themselves that the result - Britons have exactly the same level of concern about white immigration as non-white immigration - proves the opposite. People like David Olusoga are clearly complete thickos.
  • Options

WillG said:

It's a joke because if the EU didn't already exist, people advocating the idea of a union of European countries would be accused of being white supremacists.
    Only in a chatbot article with a Leon style prompt.
  • Options
    WillG said:

The Republicans organise their primaries separately and are sticking to tradition with Iowa and NH first.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

ping said:

Ooooh

Fruity letter from Julian Knight to the chief whip, posted on Twitter.

The party being a bit overcorrecting in taking action swiftly after complaints about being too slow?

Though to be pedantic, how can he be categorically state he is entirely innocent of wrongdoing if he doesn't even know what wrongdoing he is accused of?
    As I said earlier - I live in the constituency. Mr Knight ain’t my kind of Tory and I find myself generally on the other side of his argument/political positions, most of the time.

But I’d have him fairly low down on the list of MP’s likely to commit / have committed any serious crimes in their personal life.

I don’t have any inside info here, but my tissue would be;

6/4 be arrested
    4/1 be convicted

So i’d go 1/4, or 80% chance he clears his name, legally, at least.

Then again, I may well look a fool in the coming days/weeks/months!

@Bournville hinted that he had some unpublishable rumours about him, implying a short temper and general personal oddness, but I haven’t seen/heard anything of substance, either locally or online.
  • Options
    I can only imagine that "those two" have been advised that the best way to maximise their publicity, profile and income is to ham it up.

They will get a large audience from both those who love what they say, and those who hate what they say. So that's what they'll do.

I'm in no way uncertain they can't string it out for years, if they wanted to.

A happy peaceful ending won't sell.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

@Selebian

Oh god, blown your cover, feel like a useful idiot of the right now.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

A brass band arrangement of Figaro is like Samuel Beckett adapting PG Wodehouse novels for the stage.
    Quite a few different arrangments of the overture, arias etc.
    https://www.brassband.co.uk/sheet-music/search/Marriage_of_Figaro
  • Options
    Odd with no football. Guess it'll have to be Megs and Hazza.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    algarkirk said:

Perhaps Harry ought to know that in this racist hellhole 29% of babies born in the UK have mothers who were born abroad.

“H’s” second born was born in the US but qualifies for British citizenship on account of the British nationality of her father. Unless she marries a Brit, her own children will need to be born in Britain to qualify as British citizens, no matter that he named her after his grandmother. The longest serving member of a racist, slave driving and “formal” institution that he claims to despise.
  • Options
    WillG said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

But the specific example mentioned - the debate about the EU - is clearly not about race. White supremacists love white immigration. In fact, if you were trying to explicitly test whether Britain's opposition to high levels of immigration was related to race or not, a great experiment would be to have a big national debate on immigration from a couple dozen white countries, and no non-white countries. But somehow the left has convinced themselves that the result - Britons have exactly the same level of concern about white immigration as non-white immigration - proves the opposite. People like David Olusoga are clearly complete thickos.
    They base it on what they think is the vibe.

The thinking does not go deep.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    There is something wrong with America if they think that someone of Biden’s age who is already showing signs of mental deterioration with two years still to serve, is the best person to put up for another four year stretch in 2024.

It seems to be a contest between the two parties as to which can make the most idiotic choices.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
  • Options

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

I think most of us would find the US driving test pretty easy. Even almost every American can pass it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    edited December 2022
    Selebian said:

FPT (which I don't often bother with, but to answer a - good - question asked by Topping):

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Quite a revealing comment from Meghan Markle. She seemed to see the Royal Family as a kind of British Kardashians.

@chrisshipitv
    Meghan says “I thought it was a joke” when she was told she would have to curtsy to Harry’s grandmother, the Queen on their first meeting.
    In her interview, Meghan performs a deep bow with her arms outstretched and says “Pleasure to meet you Your Majesty” and asked “was that ok?”

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1600805708249051137

She's American. The Declaration of Independence states that "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." and so it's hardly surprising that she is bewildered by the idea of curtseying to somebody, especially in private to a member of her husband's family. I'm British, and a moderate monarchist, and it seems kind of archaic even to me. People forget how wide the cultural gap is between the UK and the US, on many dimensions.
    Maybe, but she chose to marry into that family and the traditions it comes with.
    That's true. I think she was mad to do so, the idea that a Black American woman marrying into the Royal Family under the gaze of the British press was going to be anything other than a total shitshow is for the birds. My own personal theory is that Harry married her precisely because he saw her as his exit from a life that had caused him nothing but misery. That exit is complicated of course. They seem like nice people and I wish them luck.
    '
    'A life that had caused him nothing but misery', it got him an Eton education, paid for staff, security and accomodation and motorcade and flights for life, a big taxpayer funded wedding and titles and a place in the line of succession he and his children still have
    Things he would have been unlikely to have in his life if he was Harry Windsor, ex army officer now Foxtons estate agent living in Wandsworth. And not a member of that awful racist family from this evil racist country.

1. A place at Eton as he is thick and wouldn’t have passed entrance.
    2. Choices of the regiments in the army he served in - wouldn’t have looked so dapper at his wedding in the Mercian Regiment’s dress uniform compared to HC.
    3. Serving in the army with huge protection - not for him an outpost like Kajaki as an irrelevant infantry officer.
    4. Invictus games - why would the brains behind it have Harry Windsor front it - nobody has heard of him.
    5. A job, would have been sacked as the social media photos showing him dressed as a nazi would have seen him out on his ear.
    6. A free house.
    7. Hot and cold running travel to Botswana for his third date amongst other global travels.
    8. A date with a C-list US actress.
    9. A dad he can ask for millions from to help set up home in a massive mansion in California.
    10. A deal to make a story about his relationship from Netflix.

So maybe he might realise one day that he actually owes all he has and has had to the people he is slamming and there is nothing of his personal genius in how he is in the position he is now.
    They have entrance exams at Eton? What's the point if they let in so many dumb boys?
    Only two questions on the paper: Who are your parents? How much money have they got?
    If you are minded to go there it is now fiendishly difficult to get into Eton. And once there it is indeed a hothouse with very little tolerance of slack academic achievement.

It suits many people to denigrate it and that usually comes with envy or resentment and that's fair enough I understand why; it's a club and you (they) are outside it. Plus its pupils often go on to run the world or close to it so who wouldn't be resentful of that.
    When stumbling across somebody who opposes schools like Eton how do you suss out if he or she is driven by resentment or by a genuine belief that such institutions are incompatible with even a semblance of equal opportunities?
    It would be interesting to conduct an experiment amongst anti-public school types. If at the right age, offer an all expenses paid place at Eton or Benenden to their offspring or, hand on heart, ask whether they would have liked their offspring to go to those schools.

I'm sure some - you I have no doubt - would stick to your line of sending your children to the local comp but it might nevertheless provoke an internal debate which would give some sort of a clue as to why people are in favour of them.
    For me: I absolutely would not send my children to a private school under any circumstances.

As for MightyAlex's question, that's trickier as I'd not be in favour of either option (assuming the first option is fee-paying school, not a great education open to everyone) but I guess I'd put my children and their children first and reluctantly abolish all fee paying schools, even though I'd prefer not to deprive other people of the choice.
    Interesting. Why so strongly against fee paying schools and giving your children what is often if not always, and then again often because of the ability to select on attitude rather than educational ability, a better education?
    My experience, working with students, teaching students and being engaged in school outreach projects has been that (generalisation, obviously) those educated in the state sector are more curious, questioning and open to new ideas that those educated privately.

This is, at least with regard to my experiences at work, obviously a skewed sample as I'm only looking at those who were sufficiently academically able to get a place at a Russell Group university. It makes sense, to some extent, that your typical state school kid who does that is actually smarter than your typical private school kid who will have had extra support, if needed.* In school outreach though, my experience is that the private school kids know the answers to the questions, but it's the state school kids who ask their own interesting questions.

I'm state school educated, so I no doubt have some of my own biases, but I have close friends and colleagues who were privately educated, so I'm not a hardcore class warrior. My own brother in law is deputy head in one of the fancier private schools in London.

*Which I guess begs the question, if my own kids turn out not to be hugely academic, why would I not want them to be coached into a 'good' university? The answer to which is that I'd be just as happy for them to be builders, joiners, plumbers, hairdressers etc if that's where their talents and interests lie.

Excellent point. University was more often, so to speak, wasted on the "public school" people I knew there than the ones who had come through state school. Equal performance, more or less, at entry, but without the pressurised coaching a distinctly higher percentage of the former fell by the wayside academically.

Part of the issue was parental pressure, and school pressure. But the ones I knew best mostly ended up in decent careers anyway, from looking after the nuclear deterrent to TV production.

Edit: this was 40 years ago. I suspect the unis are much more attuned to this sort of issue now both in terms of selection and in keeping them to the grindstone.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

There is plenty of gossip on the internet as to what the allegations against him might involve, and whilst it would be wrong to post any details here without evidential backing, it does seem that of the two things that commonly bring down MPs, Knight isn’t being accused of anything dodgy in relation to ££££.

Meanwhile the Tory MP for Romford hasn’t been seen or heard from in an awfully long time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

There is plenty of gossip on the internet as to what the allegations against him might involve, and whilst it would be wrong to post any details here without evidential backing, it does seem that of the two things that commonly bring down MPs, Knight isn’t being accused of anything dodgy in relation to ££££.

Meanwhile the Tory MP for Romford hasn’t been seen or heard from in an awfully long time.
    Rather more than 'on the internet' now. FWIW.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63904774
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

Err, so it seems. If I lose a PB point for being somewhat behind today’s news, surely I pick one up for not dropping OGH in it regarding yesterday’s internet gossip?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

Very sensible for details to be withheld of course, though it does make official statements comical were it about something less serious

"...against unnamed victims reported to have taken place on unknown dates at undisclosed locations"
  • Options
    Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    I didn't say that the accusation would be just, but it's naive to think it wouldn't be made.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    edited December 2022
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

On a point of pedantry, that link is to something "on the internet".

• Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

On a point of pedantry, that link is to something "on the internet".

And also broadcast - but yes, quite right!
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    I didn't say that the accusation would be just, but it's naive to think it wouldn't be made.
    Hmm. "If the UK didn't exist, people advocating the idea of a union of countries of the Isles of Britain and Ireland would be accused of being white supremacists." Does that make sense? No? Course not. So whjy should your version? [Edit] As indeed you imply.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813

algarkirk said:

Quite a few different arrangments of the overture, arias etc.
    https://www.brassband.co.uk/sheet-music/search/Marriage_of_Figaro
    ....Listens on You Tube.

Yes, it's definitely its own thing compared with a full orchestral and operatic arrangement. But, I'll accept it as an answer.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    Hmm. "If the UK didn't exist, people advocating the idea of a union of countries of the Isles of Britain and Ireland would be accused of being white supremacists." Does that make sense? No? Course not. So whjy should your version? [Edit] As indeed you imply.
    Is that an admission that Scottish independence is a bit like Brexit? :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    algarkirk said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

Reckless driving is imprisonable, as is careless driving when it causes death. Running a red light is careless driving usually; occasionally reckless; depends on circumstances.

The offence is dangerous, not reckless, driving. "Reckless" occurs once, by mistake, in RTA 1988.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

How many MPs are under investigation for various offences or breaches of standards?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    edited December 2022
    ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

"I am entirely innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever".
    Given he is (or was) a Tory MP in the current Parliament, that seems unusual.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    No, just doesn't make sense as a criterion. IT's about as useful as "because it rains quite a lot."
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    Only by stupid 8 year olds.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

algarkirk said:

“H’s” second born was born in the US but qualifies for British citizenship on account of the British nationality of her father. Unless she marries a Brit, her own children will need to be born in Britain to qualify as British citizens, no matter that he named her after his grandmother. The longest serving member of a racist, slave driving and “formal” institution that he claims to despise.
    Was James II not part of the institution, or was his causing his own slaves to be branded DOY harmless bants?

Not seen the formality of the institution questioned.
  • Options
    M45 said:

algarkirk said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

The offence is dangerous, not reckless, driving. "Reckless" occurs once, by mistake, in RTA 1988.
    Do you mean it's defined as 'doing something once by mistake,' or 'it's written in the RTA once and that was a mistake?'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

M45 said:

algarkirk said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

Do you mean it's defined as 'doing something once by mistake,' or 'it's written in the RTA once and that was a mistake?'
    The latter. Section 168, in the heading.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

How many MPs are under investigation for various offences or breaches of standards?
    Not a complete answer, but...

16 MPs currently without the whip due to various complaints and misdemeanours. Bigger than the Lib Dems...

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1600622814263926786

I think the One With The Really Serious Rapey Allegations (that was a grim episode of Friends) still has the Whip, in order to preserve their anonymity.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    ydoethur said:

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

A blind man can pass their test in USA. I had to drive about half a mile in a sqare and back to centre
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

A blind man can pass their test in USA. I had to drive about half a mile in a sqare and back to centre
    What on earth does that test?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    That you can turn left and right. The written part was not that difficult either though I suppose they could have toughened it up nowadays.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    WillG said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

I think "sovereignty is often a cipher for immigration" is a truer statement than "immigration is often a cipher for race" as regards the EU debate. And immigration - either straight up or in its 'sovereignty' guise - was indeed pretty central to the vote and the result.

What percentage of the people who as a top top political priority want our country to be very hard for others to migrate to are downright racist? I don't know but my intuition and logic tells me it will be considerably higher than in the general population.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Ooooh

“With kind regards” lol

You're suggesting it might have been something to do with an interest in ... tractors?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    Not quite. Brexit is like having a baby. Scottish Independence is opening a bottle of wine and putting on the Barry White.
  • Options
    I hate driving overseas which is why I’ve given it up.

Muscle memory kicks in and I start veering to our side of the road.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    M45 said:

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

This is vindictive nonsense. The offence is worth a suspended sentence at the absolute maximum

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/causing-death-by-careless-or-inconsiderate-driving/

And I genuinely don't believe anyone who claims never to have done something at least equally stupid and dangerous, and got away with it.
    Sorry but that link strongly suggests a custodial sentence, which I am sure would have been given if there was any prospect of her having the guts to accept responsibility. She is a craven coward.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Gaylord
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    ChatGPT has just done something so amazing I can't even tell you
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tragic.
  • Options

The British keep turning left?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    Not quite. Brexit is like having a baby. Scottish Independence is opening a bottle of wine and putting on the Barry White.
    I am not familiar with a Barry White, but is it some kind of suicide apparatus?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

@ping said:

Good afternoon

Not blind, but in some states people with WHO partial sight can drive:

https://www.nvisioncenters.com/education/driving-with-visual-impairments/#Low
  • Options
    Leon said:

@Leon

Your account has just been hacked by some form of AI.
This discussion has been closed.