Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Hard to see anything other than a LAB hold in Chester – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

On the VAT on schools thing.

A quiet announcement by several schools in my area that they will not pass the full rise onto parents has kicked off a panic in the local council.

The schools in question do a lot of free stuff for the state schools in the area. Not just lending sports facilities. But providing sports coaching to go with it. Free laptop programs and IT support for schools. Etc.

They are quite open about their budgeting - the charitable activities are paid for out of the difference between revenue and expenditure. If revenue is squeezed, the council is assuming (probably correctly) that the charitable works will be reduced.

Don't worry with the extra tax revenue we can fund our schools properly instead of going begging to the toffs.
    So your plan is to raise taxes from from wealthy parents currently give to private schools, and then spend it on... leasing sports facilities from private schools?

Here's an idea - just cut out the middleman?

Or perhaps you want to build hundreds of sports facilities within the grounds of state schools, at vastly greater expense?
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

The first chunk of GPT4 has dropped. A chat machine. You can ask it anything. Or get it to do anything. It does it instantaneously and for free

https://twitter.com/sama/status/1598038815599661056?s=46&t=1TIC9G0487AuVcfRbM2kKQ

Initial thoughts: my god. It’s phenomenal. It is going to put about 200 million people out of a job. And this is before lunch

It is also potentially a Google killer. It will do all your net searching for you

chat.openai.com was down when I visited.

If I get a chance to chat with it, I will ask it why it doesn't f*** off. I'll report back on its reply. A simple enough question for such a complicated machine.

The statement by Sam Altman, OpenAI CEO, was embarrassingly juvenile and programmery. This is what he wrote:

"language interfaces are going to be a big deal, i think. talk to the computer (voice or text) and get what you want, for increasingly complex definitions of "want"!"

But yes, further leaps in tech-mediated mass deskilling - both intellectual and emotional - are planned.

Edit: do you actually welcome this stuff, @Leon?
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Ghedebrav said:

Meanwhile, in "We're going to need Morris Dancer's Space Cannon to get rid of him" news,

EXC: Boris Johnson has told his local Conservative party he will stand again at the next election, The Telegraph can reveal.

https://twitter.com/DominicPenna/status/1598297089448214529

It's not inconceivable that he will lose his seat. He's hardly the epitome of the 'local hardworking MP' since he got binned off as leader; add in a REFUK candidate to siphon off a coupla thousand crazies, a tacit Green-Lab-LD pact and you've got the recipe for asking 'were you up for Uxbridge and South Ruislip?'.

The downside is that it would be sorely tempting for Labour activists to focus on this seat at the expense of tighter ones.
    This last point is why I keep banging on about logistics when people start forecasting majorities of 300 plus. There are only so many activists to go round.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    Endillion said:

A quiet announcement by several schools in my area that they will not pass the full rise onto parents has kicked off a panic in the local council.

The schools in question do a lot of free stuff for the state schools in the area. Not just lending sports facilities. But providing sports coaching to go with it. Free laptop programs and IT support for schools. Etc.

They are quite open about their budgeting - the charitable activities are paid for out of the difference between revenue and expenditure. If revenue is squeezed, the council is assuming (probably correctly) that the charitable works will be reduced.

Don't worry with the extra tax revenue we can fund our schools properly instead of going begging to the toffs.
    So your plan is to raise taxes from from wealthy parents currently give to private schools, and then spend it on... leasing sports facilities from private schools?

Or perhaps you want to build hundreds of sports facilities within the grounds of state schools, at vastly greater expense?
    Ideally the grounds wouldn't have been sold off in the first place.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

The first chunk of GPT4 has dropped. A chat machine. You can ask it anything. Or get it to do anything. It does it instantaneously and for free

https://twitter.com/sama/status/1598038815599661056?s=46&t=1TIC9G0487AuVcfRbM2kKQ

Initial thoughts: my god. It’s phenomenal. It is going to put about 200 million people out of a job. And this is before lunch

It is also potentially a Google killer. It will do all your net searching for you

If I get a chance to chat with it, I will ask it why it doesn't f*** off. I'll report back on its reply. A simple enough question for such a complicated machine.

The statement by Sam Altman, OpenAI CEO, was embarrassingly juvenile and programmery. This is what he wrote:

"language interfaces are going to be a big deal, i think. talk to the computer (voice or text) and get what you want, for increasingly complex definitions of "want"!"

But yes, further leaps in tech-mediated mass deskilling - both intellectual and emotional - are planned.

AI has the potential to solve the worst human problems. Yet it will bring many more - including vast amounts of unemployment, esp in bourgeois jobs

I very tentatively welcome it, with grave reservations

This chatbot reminds me of early DALL-E. it’s on a leash, it’s repetitive and restricted. But you can sense the power. Within a year of DALL-E we had Stable Diffusion and Midjourney
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    @SophGarratt
    Spanish media reporting police presence at U.S. embassy in Madrid. Possible 6th letter bomb sent there after similar letters sent to Ukrainian embassy, the Spanish PM and other government/military sites in recent days.

https://twitter.com/SophGarratt/status/1598310544947249157
    Dura_Ace said:

All these people who have now got the arsehole over lockdowns, etc need to remember that they locked themselves down. They barricaded themselves into their own homes for months on end just because utter wankers like Johnson and Hancock told them to. Take responsibility. You did it to yourselves.

An increasing level of mindless obedience in society is BY FAR the biggest result of state action relating to SARSCoV2.

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Driver said:

Ghedebrav said:

Meanwhile, in "We're going to need Morris Dancer's Space Cannon to get rid of him" news,

EXC: Boris Johnson has told his local Conservative party he will stand again at the next election, The Telegraph can reveal.

It's not inconceivable that he will lose his seat. He's hardly the epitome of the 'local hardworking MP' since he got binned off as leader; add in a REFUK candidate to siphon off a coupla thousand crazies, a tacit Green-Lab-LD pact and you've got the recipe for asking 'were you up for Uxbridge and South Ruislip?'.

The downside is that it would be sorely tempting for Labour activists to focus on this seat at the expense of tighter ones.
    This last point is why I keep banging on about logistics when people start forecasting majorities of 300 plus. There are only so many activists to go round.
    Even so, Labour should be careful about their candidate selection in safe Tory seats. A lot of people who would normally be paper candidates have a very good chance of being elected.
    Driver said:

Ghedebrav said:

Yeah, 100%. Plus LAB won't have all (or as many) of the Magic Grandpa momentum kids banging on doors.

Conversely though - I wonder if the Tories in particular will struggle on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if they LDs do better than any Baxterisation suggests at this stage.
  • Just to follow up on Chester, I have worked out the Cook PI (L+6 means the seat was 6 points more Labour than the country)

1992 L+6
    1997 L+5
    2001 L+6
    2005 L+1
    2010 L+1
    2015 L+7
    2017 L+14
    2019 L+22

So it has always leaned Lab but has sharply moved away from the Cons in the last 2 elections.

Wirral W has trended heavily away from the Cons and is now a no hope seat:

1992 C+14
    1997 C+7
    2001 L+1
    2005 Even
    2010 L+1
    2015 L+8
    2017 L+14
    2019 L+18

Weaver Vale was always strong for Lab but the Cons were helped by the 2010 boundary changes, which took out a Runcorn ward. It has now drifted away from the Cons again. Weaver Vale is planned to be abolished and will be split between a Runcorn seat (safe Lab) and a Mid Cheshire seat (Lab-leaning marginal)

1997 L+15
    2001 L+16
    2005 L+14
    2010 L+5
    2015 L+5
    2017 L+10
    2019 L+12

• OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited December 2022

It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the ground in Chester. From outside, it all looks incredibly low key and as if turnout will be tiny... but maybe it's been more visible where it matters.

Voted this morning. Labour has been the only party doing anything, lots of posters up and plenty of leaflets . Little doubt in my mind that Labour will win but it's really a Labour v Apathy contest.

Tories have been invisible which is surprising in a seat that has been a marginal up till quite recently. Tells us something I suppose.

Other than Labour I have seen about 3 Green Party posters and the Reform UK candidate had a stall in the centre a couple of Saturday's ago. Just her and no takers while I was walking around. One Tory. one Reform and one Rejoin EU leaflet all delivered by royal mail. About 6 from Labour, hand delivered, 1 Lib Dem hand delivered. Canvassed twice (both by Labour)

• CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

AI has the potential to solve the worst human problems. Yet it will bring many more - including vast amounts of unemployment, esp in bourgeois jobs

This chatbot reminds me of early DALL-E. it’s on a leash, it’s repetitive and restricted. But you can sense the power. Within a year of DALL-E we had Stable Diffusion and Midjourney
    All technological innovations have brought the threat of vast unemployment.
    When farming mechanised, what were all the farm labourers to do? And yet we don't see armies of unemployed yokels still mooching sadly around the countryside.
    What will those replaced by AI do? I dunno. It could cause some pain in the short term, particularly given the speed of change AI could bring, But I'm fairly confident humanity will adapt and, importantly, find higher value uses of its time.

Driver said:

Ghedebrav said:

Even so, Labour should be careful about their candidate selection in safe Tory seats. A lot of people who would normally be paper candidates have a very good chance of being elected.
    I've a friend who is local LAB member in a safe-ish Tory seat (it's at the more distant end of winnable; current majority of about 7k I think). I can only speak for him, but it sounds like the Corbynista era is over there at least, and they're carefully selecting from a few decent, experienced local councillors.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

When farming mechanised, what were all the farm labourers to do? And yet we don't see armies of unemployed yokels still mooching sadly around the countryside.
    What will those replaced by AI do? I dunno. It could cause some pain in the short term, particularly given the speed of change AI could bring, But I'm fairly confident humanity will adapt and, importantly, find higher value uses of its time.
    The yokels ended up in urban labour, mooching unhappily around street corners in the unemployment crises.
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

The yokels ended up in urban labour, mooching unhappily around street corners in the unemployment crises.
    Or they became slave-like labour in grimy mills and factories

The first decades of the Industrial Revolution were pretty grim for a lot of people. The AI Revolution might be similar
  • When Australia scored 482-5 on the first day against South Africa, at Adelaide in 2012, it took them 86.5 overs (third highest ever first day score; the second highest was in 1910 and we don't know how many overs were bowled on day1)

That's a run rate of 5.55 rpo

England's today was 6.75 rpo, over 20% quicker

edited December 2022

When Australia scored 482-5 on the first day against South Africa, at Adelaide in 2012, it took them 86.5 overs (third highest ever first day score; the second highest was in 1910 and we don't know how many overs were bowled on day1)

That's a run rate of 5.55 rpo

England's today was 6.75 rpo, over 20% quicker

I believe they said that England beat the record for fastest team to reach 500 by more than ten overs!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Endillion said:

Plus the DfE will take extra funds and not spend them on IT support for schools. For example.
    edited December 2022
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

The ex-farming labourers mostly got jobs in industry (industrialisation) or scrabbled together some kind of precarious inferior living in impoverished areas of big cities (urbanisation). The latter is still happening in the world.

The ongoing information-based technological revolution is not akin to previous technological revolutions starting with the industrial revolution because there won't be a net increase in employment. It goes together with a mass cull the likes of which there's never been before. It's megadeath in a big string of 0s and 1s - death for millions, and death in the minds and active humanity of many individuals suffered to live too. The religion it brings is vile and says it all - humans as machines, when we are not machines. This is what that nutcase Turing meant when he wrote of machines "thinking".
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Nigelb said:

The history of Ukrainian nationalism certainty gave pause to many in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera

That is not the history of Ukranian nationalism, though.
    It's the history of a WWII fascist (inaccurately called a Nazi, FWIW).

Here's some other bits of their history.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandura
    Yes, though in fairness a fascist still celebrated by many nationalists (especially in the west of the country) as a great hero (cf. the "Commemoration" section of the wikipedia link cited by Malmesbury). The undoubted fact that the pro-Nazi (a reasonable description IMO) leaders were partly reacting to the Stalinist atrocities in the 30s doesn't excuse veneration of them in the current generation.

One can condemn the Russian invasion, support efforts by Ukraine to fight it off, and still be wary of aspects of the Ukrainian nationalist tradition, and it's understandable that the Germans are basically in that position. We need to penalise the invasion by helping to halt it (as has been largely done) and accepting Ukraine into the EU and possibly NATO (making a fresh attack suicidal for Russia). We don't need to help extend the conflict until the last nationalist claim (e.g. Crimea) is (re)captured.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

They all eventually ended up in bloody call centres.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Can anyone enlighten me? I've always thought of myself as a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, but Ngozi Fulani's complaints seem way over the top to me.

Of course, a lot of it would depend on the exact words and the way in which they were said, but essentially Lady Hussey was asking where her family came from. That's such a commonplace topic of discussion among the English upper classes that I wonder if part of the outrage is just a cultural misunderstanding (certainly Ms Fulani doesn't seem to understand that "your people" would be synonymous with "your family" for someone like Lady Hussey).

Taken one way, "where do you really come from" could be read as "you're not really British". But couldn't it just as easily mean "where do your roots really lie?" Maybe Ms Fulani doesn't think in those terms, but to my mind it brought to mind something Julia Sawalha reminisced about (on "Who Do You Think You Are?" if I remember correctly). A friend said to her something like "I know you have Arab ancestry but you're not really Arab", and she thought about it and commented "Yes, I really am".
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

If AI leads to mass unemployment, especially of permanent non shortterm contract jobs, then a universal basic income funded by a robot tax on the companies that bring in that AI is inevitable
    DJ41 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

The ex-farming labourers mostly got jobs in industry or scrabbled together some kind of precarious inferior living in impoverished areas of big cities.
    Hm. I'm thinking more of the farming mechanisation of the 1890-1950 period.

The rural to urban shift of the early industrial revolution was driven, I think, more by rural overpopulation, leading to the need for land consolidation and the de-landing of rural smallholders.
    Not an irrelevant comparison, however.
    kjh said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

They all eventually ended up in bloody call centres.
    Using semaphore .
  • Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

The ex-farming labourers mostly got jobs in industry or scrabbled together some kind of precarious inferior living in impoverished areas of big cities.

The rural to urban shift of the early industrial revolution was driven, I think, more by rural overpopulation, leading to the need for land consolidation and the de-landing of rural smallholders.
    Are you the Duke of somewhere? Of course the countryside *looks* overpopulated once you have enclosed all the commons.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

That's all very well if you think AI won't be capable of outperforming the average human being at most economically useful tasks. That's been the case up to now, but I don't see any reason to think it will continue to be the case.
  • Day one of my beer advent calendar..

A can of Pastel Pils brewed by Siren in Finchampstead in Berkshire. 4.8% ABV

Very refreshing after half a day’s knobsticking

Day one of my beer advent calendar..

Do I want to ask what knobsticking is?
  • kjh said:

Strike breaking

I thought being a knobstick sounded more fun than being a scab
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

If AI leads to mass unemployment, especially of permanent non shortterm contract jobs, then a universal basic income funded by a robot tax on the companies that bring in that AI is inevitable
    Increasingly, I believe some of UBI is inevitable. AI will be that good. So it will soon displace hundreds of millions of workers. They won't all be able to retrain as masseurs or vicars
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    Leon said:

Not working, at capacity.
  • Chris said:

Can anyone enlighten me? I've always thought of myself as a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, but Ngozi Fulani's complaints seem way over the top to me.

Of course, a lot of it would depend on the exact words and the way in which they were said, but essentially Lady Hussey was asking where her family came from. That's such a commonplace topic of discussion among the English upper classes that I wonder if part of the outrage is just a cultural misunderstanding (certainly Ms Fulani doesn't seem to understand that "your people" would be synonymous with "your family" for someone like Lady Hussey).

Taken one way, "where do you really come from" could be read as "you're not really British". But couldn't it just as easily mean "where do your roots really lie?" Maybe Ms Fulani doesn't think in those terms, but to my mind it brought to mind something Julia Sawalha reminisced about (on "Who Do You Think You Are?" if I remember correctly). A friend said to her something like "I know you have Arab ancestry but you're not really Arab", and she thought about it and commented "Yes, I really am".

Fulani started with a satirical masterstroke ("they didn't leave records") but then lost it.

To be fair to her, anyone is going to feel flustered and out of their comfort zone at a Royal reception. But also, to be fair to lady H, I was at various social goings on at a Scottish university yesterday and pretty much every one of a dozen casual conversations with lots of nationalities converged rapidly on Where are you from? Where are your people from? (I was dressed in a kilt). These are hardwired into human encounters with strangers: who are you, where from, who was your dad, did he have a guest friendship with my dad?
  • kjh said:

Strike breaking

Scab.
    Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

There was the rise of cottage industry in the countryside.

Later during tractorisation the ex-farming labourers still went to industries and the cities. There was nowhere else they could go. Conditions there were certainly better in say 1930 than 1850, e.g. the number of hours worked per week had fallen as productivity rose, and in a country such as Britain people got Saturday afternoons off.

For a few generations now there has been insane over-employment in offices, which is to say managerialism and often what appears to be bullsh*t almost for the sake of bullsh*t. It's wasteful to an extreme and is unsustainable.

AI can increase productivity but not to the extent of preparing the way for creating large numbers of new real jobs actually making stuff. That would have to mean e.g. that most of us only wear a pair of shoes or use a set of chairs for a day before we throw them away - an increase in turnover and circulation that would be so extreme that it isn't going to happen. The info revolution means megadeath and its patron saint is Malthus.
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Increasingly, I believe some of UBI is inevitable. AI will be that good. So it will soon displace hundreds of millions of workers. They won't all be able to retrain as masseurs or vicars
    UBI will reduce its recipients to zombie status.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

I'm interested in which jobs you think are specifically at risk from AI. Call centre jobs? Already happens to some extent with chat bots, but often leads or needs human intervention. I am not at all convinced of creativity from AI's - what we see is responses to human inputs, and then human appreciation and curation of the results. Are millions of jobs at risk? Or thousands? Genuine question.
    pillsbury said:

Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Are you the Duke of somewhere? Of course the countryside *looks* overpopulated once you have enclosed all the commons.
    Basically, pre-enclosure England was barely able to support itself agriculturally. It was woefully inefficient.
    I don't claim that the enclosure act was wonderful for the displaced peasantry. Nor was it the only solution to agricultural inefficiency. But it was the path taken: and that was what freed up an army of urban labourers to man the industrial revolution.
  • Chris said:

I think the problem (if the transcript posted earlier on here is correct) comes from the fact that this wasn't just a question of a single or even once repeated question. It was a persistent refusal to understand that a non white person could be truly British. The 'what part of Africa' bit so late in the exchange was particularly egregious.

When I first heard the breaking news about this I thought exactly as you have. But I find it hard to justify that position once I read the transcript.
  • Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

That's all very well if you think AI won't be capable of outperforming the average human being at most economically useful tasks. That's been the case up to now, but I don't see any reason to think it will continue to be the case.
    Well it's getting there. Look at self service tills.

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

I'm interested in which jobs you think are specifically at risk from AI. Call centre jobs? Already happens to some extent with chat bots, but often leads or needs human intervention. I am not at all convinced of creativity from AI's - what we see is responses to human inputs, and then human appreciation and curation of the results. Are millions of jobs at risk? Or thousands? Genuine question.
    So far, automation has meant that humans are kicked up stairs to more and higher supervisory roles. That’s the history of IT from the point where people *were* computers onwards.
  • Cookie said:

pillsbury said:

Cookie said:

DJ41 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Basically, pre-enclosure England was barely able to support itself agriculturally. It was woefully inefficient.
    I don't claim that the enclosure act was wonderful for the displaced peasantry. Nor was it the only solution to agricultural inefficiency. But it was the path taken: and that was what freed up an army of urban labourers to man the industrial revolution.
    Though it is worth pointing out that the enclosures had nothing to do with wanting to make agriculture more efficient per se. They were just a landgrab of the Commons by whoever had the ear of the Commissioners
  • kjh said:

Strike breaking

Scab.
    Should I pick it?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760

Nigelb said:

The history of Ukrainian nationalism certainty gave pause to many in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera

That is not the history of Ukranian nationalism, though.
    It's the history of a WWII fascist (inaccurately called a Nazi, FWIW).

Here's some other bits of their history.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandura
    Yes, though in fairness a fascist still celebrated by many nationalists (especially in the west of the country) as a great hero (cf. the "Commemoration" section of the wikipedia link cited by Malmesbury). The undoubted fact that the pro-Nazi (a reasonable description IMO) leaders were partly reacting to the Stalinist atrocities in the 30s doesn't excuse veneration of them in the current generation.

One can condemn the Russian invasion, support efforts by Ukraine to fight it off, and still be wary of aspects of the Ukrainian nationalist tradition, and it's understandable that the Germans are basically in that position. We need to penalise the invasion by helping to halt it (as has been largely done) and accepting Ukraine into the EU and possibly NATO (making a fresh attack suicidal for Russia). We don't need to help extend the conflict until the last nationalist claim (e.g. Crimea) is (re)captured.
    Your regular reminder that Crimea, despite the claims of Fascist leader Putin, was in fact part of Ukraine until 1922 and again from 1954. The Russian nationalist claim to Crimea is far more manufactured than any Ukrainian one could be.

Chris said:

I think the problem (if the transcript posted earlier on here is correct) comes from the fact that this wasn't just a question of a single or even once repeated question. It was a persistent refusal to understand that a non white person could be truly British. The 'what part of Africa' bit so late in the exchange was particularly egregious.

When I first heard the breaking news about this I thought exactly as you have. But I find it hard to justify that position once I read the transcript.
    I'd feel better about drawing the same conclusion if what we had was an actual transcript, rather than just a recollection of the conversation from one of the participants.
    pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Fulani started with a satirical masterstroke ("they didn't leave records") but then lost it.

To be fair to her, anyone is going to feel flustered and out of their comfort zone at a Royal reception. But also, to be fair to lady H, I was at various social goings on at a Scottish university yesterday and pretty much every one of a dozen casual conversations with lots of nationalities converged rapidly on Where are you from? Where are your people from? (I was dressed in a kilt). These are hardwired into human encounters with strangers: who are you, where from, who was your dad, did he have a guest friendship with my dad?
    I must say I thought the thought the thing Ngozi Fulani was quoted as saying that was clearly ridiculous was that people suggesting that allowance should be made for Lady Hussey's age were being disrespectful to her (Lady H) and "ageist". That seems too much like saying disability benefit should be abolished because it's "ableist".
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Is that more or less of a zombie compared to working in a call centre?

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Zombies like pensioners?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870

kjh said:

Strike breaking

I think we should all support the postal workers by refusing to accept any junk mail. If the postie won’t take it back, stuff it in the postbox marked “unwanted junk mail - return to sender”.
    edited December 2022

Chris said:

As someone has pointed out, it's not a "transcript" (unless Ms Fulani was recording the conversation). That's precisely why I said it would depend on the exact words and the way in which they were said. We don't have that. We have one person's impression of the conversation from memory.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

kjh said:

Strike breaking

I think we should all support the postal workers by refusing to accept any junk mail. If the postie won’t take it back, stuff it in the postbox marked “unwanted junk mail - return to sender”.
    Good idea !!!!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Group F prediction: Belgium to get knocked out.
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

That and UBI aren't the only possibilities.

Agreed the across-the-board retraining won't happen.

As for UBI, the ruling class is not going to pay half of what was previously considered the working-age population to be completely unproductive of value. They won't put resources into advertising cr*p to them on their phones either, whether they give them the money to buy the cr*p or not.

They will kill them.

A lot of the displacement to use a euphemism won't even be AI-related. The huge over-employment in office work is already here, AI or no AI.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    edited December 2022
    Chris said:

Chris said:

As someone has pointed out, it's not a "transcript" (unless Ms Fulani was recording the conversation). That's precisely why I said it would depend on the exact words and the way in which they were said. We don't have that. We have one person's impression of the conversation from memory.
    Two people, as the leader of the Womens Equality Party has backed her up.

I am more inclined to support Fulani than the Royals in this however I find the coverage increasingly more and more absurd.

This was the latest in The Guardian, and she was on TV making comments about the "non physical violence" of the discussion too.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/01/buckingham-palace-encounter-with-susan-hussey-like-an-interrogation-says-charity-boss
    pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Customers doing for free what staff were previously paid to do.
    Taz said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

I am more inclined to support Fulani than the Royals in this however I find the coverage increasingly more and more absurd.

This was the latest in The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/01/buckingham-palace-encounter-with-susan-hussey-like-an-interrogation-says-charity-boss
    As far as I've read Mandu Reid's comments, she's corroborated the gist of the conversation but hasn't endorsed the recitation of the conversation as complete and accurate.
  • Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

I must say I thought the thought the thing Ngozi Fulani was quoted as saying that was clearly ridiculous was that people suggesting that allowance should be made for Lady Hussey's age were being disrespectful to her (Lady H) and "ageist". That seems too much like saying disability benefit should be abolished because it's "ableist".
    What unmitigated bollocks. A bit like your covid19 rants.

If you're still working or functioning in an official capacity you need to be be held to professional standards which includes not being racist to those you're meeting in a professional capacity while representing the state.

No allowances should be made for saying someone is too old to know better. If you're so old that you can no longer function professionally without engaging in racist abuse you don't need to have allowances made for your abuse to be acceptable, you need to retire.
    edited December 2022

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

I bet you'd have said the same thing when the first Piggly Wiggly opened.

Thing is, give me a hand held scanner to use as I pick the stuff off the shelves and I can scan better than an employee sitting behind a checkout. Just like then, the innovation is better for the customer.

Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

If you're still working or functioning in an official capacity you need to be be held to professional standards which includes not being racist to those you're meeting in a professional capacity while representing the state.

No allowances should be made for saying someone is too old to know better. If you're so old that you can no longer function professionally without engaging in racist abuse you don't need to have allowances made for your abuse to be acceptable, you need to retire.
    And she was. And she has.

That doesn't necessarily preclude the media reaction being an overreaction.
    Taz said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

As I keep saying - but as you apparently completely missed - it depends on the exact words and the way in which they were said. Not on whether someone else who was present also felt offended but couldn't say exactly what had been said.

• Driver said:

Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

And she was. And she has.

That doesn't necessarily preclude the media reaction being an overreaction.
    It's not an overreaction. She was working in an official capacity representing the state.

And from the reports that have come out, it doesn't sound like this was a first offence.

And this is after years of concerns getting raised that aren't taken seriously.

Old person says something inappropriate in their living room, not an issue. Representatives of the state doing so in an official capacity, it is an issue.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

kjh said:

Strike breaking

Good for you, much obliged.
    Howler from the Canadian goalkeeper.
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

As for UBI, the ruling class is not going to pay half of what was previously considered the working-age population to be completely unproductive of value. They won't put resources into advertising cr*p to them on their phones either, whether they give them the money to buy the cr*p or not.

They will kill them.

A lot of the displacement to use a euphemism won't even be AI-related. The huge over-employment in office work is already here, AI or no AI.
    Governments will be elected to provide a UBI. The idea that the elite is going to engage in mass murder of half the population is a bit ludicrous given it could equally lead to a revolution and the guillotining of them!
    Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Thing is, give me a hand held scanner to use as I pick the stuff off the shelves and I can scan better than an employee sitting behind a checkout. Just like then, the innovation is better for the customer.
    There is clearly a demand for a 'full service' supermarket. See the popularity of click & collect and home delivery.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Now that was a World Cup.

The 1930 World Cup was absolutely mental.

The refs wore suits, the Bolivians played in berets, and the Romanian team was selected by the King... and that's the tame stuff.

From premature funerals to managers knocked out with chloroform, here's a short history of the madness...

https://mobile.twitter.com/UpshotTowers/status/1597564819380621312

Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

What unmitigated bollocks.
    Not quite what I had in mind when I asked for enlightenment. But to be fair I'm sure it offers some insight into the relevant thought processes.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2022

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Indeed. We need a complete re-calibration of what work means. Creative work, community work, the 1960's idea of what life without drudgery in the future could be. It's also just a failure of imagination to believe some of that isn't possible, at least for some people. Others will be just as static and unproductive as they would have been in low-end jobs.

Facing up both to the realities and varieties of human nature, on the one hand, and moving beyond the incredible narrowness of what we still define as useful or worthy work , on the other, can be part of our process of maturation , as a society.
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Indeed, UBI is inevitable longer term funded by a robot tax on corporations if AI displaces lots of the workforce without enough new permanent jobs created to replace the ones lost

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Of course AI can be creative. I cite this excellent Spectator article. A couple of those images are absolutely chilling, and any graphic designer/artist would be delighted with these results, if they had made them. But a computer made them in 10 seconds. It took a human to prompt, but that one human - armed with skilful prompts - will eventually replace 20 humans who used to do the art-making

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/i-ve-seen-the-future-of-ai-art-and-it-s-terrifying/

The same goes for anything that involves pictures, words, design - you can extrapolate for yourself. GPT4 will also replace tons of lower-mid-level white collar stuff like solicitors, editors, translators, news journalists, basic architects, designers and researchers, because GPT4 (and 5 and 6 and on) will be cheaper, faster, and better than humans

In fact the harder you think the harder it is to conceive of a white collar/creative job that is NOT threatened

Some high level art will remain desirably human, because people will want the human touch. Like artisanal bread over normal bread. Any job requiring physical and emotional interaction should be fine. For now

So, as I say, vicars and masseurs get lucky
  • Chris said:

Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

What unmitigated bollocks.
    Not quite what I had in mind when I asked for enlightenment. But to be fair I'm sure it offers some insight into the relevant thought processes.
    My apologies. I should have said that was the stupidest thing I have read today, but that's unsurprising with someone notoriously as thick as two short planks who reckons he's the smartest person in the room.

And then the rest of the post which explains why your stupidity was so imbecilic

Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

There is clearly a demand for a 'full service' supermarket. See the popularity of click & collect and home delivery.
    Sure. And now we have the full range of options. You use what works best for you, and I won't suggest anyone takes it away from you. I'll use what works best for me.
  • Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Yes, Barty. Fun as it is to shout at old ladies, this is fundamentally a HR issue. She has plainly been addled for decades and should have been taken off public facing duties, certainly post hmq demise. This is a cock up by Good But Thick King Charles. After his inkpot performance we can be confident some unfortunate underling is getting it hard in the neck.

And don't pointlessly exaggerate. Whatever this is, it isn't abuse of any kind.
  • Driver said:

Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Sure. And now we have the full range of options. You use what works best for you, and I won't suggest anyone takes it away from you. I'll use what works best for me.
    Proof is in the pudding. In my local supermarket I'd say now the vast majority of customers choose the self checkout while very few, predominantly elderly, customers use staffed checkouts.

Let people have a choice.
  • Driver said:

Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Proof is in the pudding. In my local supermarket I'd say now the vast majority of customers choose the self checkout while very few, predominantly elderly, customers use staffed checkouts.

Proof OF pudding is IN eating.
    Haven't we been there, done that long since ?

Solovyev predicts Germany, France, Belgium and other European countries can have religious wars.

At least it's something new.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1597960821447217153
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

They will kill them.

Hmmmm

We have a Conservative government triple locking pensions and benefits - the core of what will become, eventually, UBI

The Labour Party is hardly likely to be less enthusiastic about benefits.

The Lib Dem’s, SNP, Greens etc don’t really seem like genocidal asshats, either.

Who exactly is the Kill The Poor party, and who is gong to do the killing?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Nigelb said:

Solovyev predicts Germany, France, Belgium and other European countries can have religious wars.

To be fair, @Leon is up for one.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Of course AI can be creative. I cite this excellent Spectator article. A couple of those images are absolutely chilling, and any graphic designer/artist would be delighted with these results, if they had made them. But a computer made them in 10 seconds. It took a human to prompt, but that one human - armed with skilful prompts - will eventually replace 20 humans who used to do the art-making

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/i-ve-seen-the-future-of-ai-art-and-it-s-terrifying/

The same goes for anything that involves pictures, words, design - you can extrapolate for yourself. GPT4 will also replace tons of lower-mid-level white collar stuff like solicitors, editors, translators, news journalists, basic architects, designers and researchers, because GPT4 (and 5 and 6 and on) will be cheaper, faster, and better than humans

In fact the harder you think the harder it is to conceive of a white collar/creative job that is NOT threatened

Some high level art will remain desirably human, because people will want the human touch. Like artisanal bread over normal bread. Any job requiring physical and emotional interaction should be fine. For now

I can't see it, but maybe I am the luddite. As a creative yourself, you surely know that the image is not the art? Would an AI create Tracey Emin's bed? Or a Gormley? Or put a shark in a tank of formaldehyde?

How is AI going to replace a solicitor? Editor?

I give you translators.

Which journalistic roles will be done by AI?

Ultimately as before with other revolutions jobs will change. We don't seem to be moving yet into the realms of not working, mainly because without money there is no fun in life. I also worry about a world without work - what purpose will people find in their lives? I know a lot of people hate work, or hate their job, but would they like the alternative? What level of life would be achieved if automation and AI took over all the jobs?
  • pillsbury said:

Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Yes, Barty. Fun as it is to shout at old ladies, this is fundamentally a HR issue. She has plainly been addled for decades and should have been taken off public facing duties, certainly post hmq demise. This is a cock up by Good But Thick King Charles. After his inkpot performance we can be confident some unfortunate underling is getting it hard in the neck.

And don't pointlessly exaggerate. Whatever this is, it isn't abuse of any kind.
    Repeatedly demanding to know where people are from, even after they've told you, not taking Britain for an answer, absolutely is racist abuse.

Even thirty years ago people knew this sort of behaviour wasn't right. I seem to recall an advert on TV when I was a young child (late 80s or very early 90s) with from memory Frank Bruno for HP sauce where he gets asked in a supermarket where he's from by someone and he answers London.

Take the answer you're given. Pressing repeatedly afterwards would have been rude thirty years ago and is utterly unacceptable and beyond the pale today. Especially in a professional capacity.

Driver said:

Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Any studies yet into the rate of deception by those using self checkout? We've been forced to use them at the Uni CO-OP, and as a result I now will use them elsewhere. I would never deliberately steal anything but the temptation must be there for some people surely and I've never seen anyone get stopped and their shopping checked.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,101
    edited December 2022
    25% Labour lead I see with YouGov out today.

This is only going one way ...

Driver said:

Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

I've really never understood the "taking jobs away from staff" thing. Even if it's true (and AFAIK there's little evidence of a direct link between the introduction of self checkouts (or order screens in takeaways) and reduction in staff numbers) it's rather irrelevant as businesses do not exist primarily to employ staff, they exist primarily to serve their customers.
    US is planning for the longer term.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1598214061430292481
    Pentagon awards Raytheon Technologies Co $1.2 bln contract to produce NASAMS for Ukraine

Work's estimated completion date is 28 November 2025. Reuters says Raytheon is going to manufacture six NASAMS air defense systems for Ukraine.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

To be fair, @Leon is up for one.
    A Saudi atheist friend asked me why I don’t support Pastifarianism.

I pointed out that within 200 years, people will miss the point and start killing each other over the difference between tagliatelle and penne
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited December 2022
    Good afternoon

I think the constant negative news and the disarray in the conservative party, parts of which seem to be pushing the self destruct button, adds to a near helplessness amongst most of us and acceptance of the increasingly likely majority Labour government in 2024

However, time for some good news with Ford announcement of investment into Halewood, the pound rising to £1.22, and Ursula von der Leyen announcing that discussion with Rishi Sunak over the NIP are going well and a workable solution is within reach

BBC News - Ford reveals £125m Halewood electric vehicle parts plant boost
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63820136
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

As AI gets more creative I guess there may be a re-evaluation of what creative means. I don't have a creative bone in my body, so I'm in no position to judge, but I'd certainly not want to have my fortunes tied to the value of today's top end artworks. Of course if AI ever reaches a stage of actual intelligence (a thing I think is probably centuries away) the the value will be anticipating what these new masters of our universe value!
    edited December 2022
    Chris said:

Ms Fulani isn't expressing herself with 100% precision and on-the-ballness, what with her usage of words such as "space" and "safe", but no victim ever has perfect control over exactly the right set of concepts and exactly the right method of conveying them and this is no excuse for Ms Hussey's behaviour.

Hussey probably does use "your people" and "your family" synonymously, but she meant not just family but ancestors. As I understand it, Fulani's parents were born in the West Indies and given that they came here in the 1950s they were presumably already British before they came here. Given Fulani's age it would be a good guess given that she is Black British that her parents were also British, and if someone thinks people born and raised in British-administered British colonies in the British West Indies who emigrated to Britain weren't British despite being entitled to British passports they can drop dead AFAIAC.

Why doesn't Hussey respond anyway, or is she too posh to say anything when criticised? Most who are interested in this story would be willing to listen to her point of view if she cared to express it.

Driver said:

Driver said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Any studies yet into the rate of deception by those using self checkout? We've been forced to use them at the Uni CO-OP, and as a result I now will use them elsewhere. I would never deliberately steal anything but the temptation must be there for some people surely and I've never seen anyone get stopped and their shopping checked.
    I generally get checked about once a month - more in Tesco in November/December when they increase the percentage of random checks.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

I can't see it, but maybe I am the luddite. As a creative yourself, you surely know that the image is not the art? Would an AI create Tracey Emin's bed? Or a Gormley? Or put a shark in a tank of formaldehyde?

I give you translators.

Ultimately as before with other revolutions jobs will change. We don't seem to be moving yet into the realms of not working, mainly because without money there is no fun in life. I also worry about a world without work - what purpose will people find in their lives? I know a lot of people hate work, or hate their job, but would they like the alternative? What level of life would be achieved if automation and AI took over all the jobs?
    All those are trivially easy. I would bet my house that a panel of professional art critics cannot rreliably distinguish machine beds and sharks from human.
    pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:

I give you translators.

All those are trivially easy. I would bet my house that a panel of professional art critics cannot rreliably distinguish machine beds and sharks from human.
    Which misses the point completely. Would an AI artist come up with them, without human input.
    Interesting reading the RUSI report.
    It was Ukraine's won artillery, as much as anything we supplied, that allowed them to stop the initial Russian blitzkrieg in its tracks.
    But they were thereafter heavily dependent on western supplies.

https://static.rusi.org/359-SR-Ukraine-Preliminary-Lessons-Feb-July-2022-web-final.pdf
    ...Since March 2014, Ukraine has focused on recovering its artillery capabilities. As a result, five new artillery brigades and a separate artillery regiment of the Ground Forces were created, as well as one artillery brigade and a separate artillery regiment of the Navy. The 19th Separate Missile Brigade regenerated two additional battalions with tactical missile complex ‘Tochka-U’. All new combined arms brigades in the Ground Forces, as well as all brigades of the marines, received their own brigade artillery groups. By 2019, the number of artillery battalions had doubled. As of February 2022, the Missile Forces and Artillery (RViA) of the UAF had 10 brigades and one regiment as part of the Ground Forces, as well as one brigade and one regiment as part of the Navy. The UAF had 1,176 barrel artillery systems, of which 742 were 152-mm calibre systems, 421 were 122-mm howitzers, and 13 units were 203-mm systems. The RViA also fielded 1,680 MLRS of all calibres, as well as about 40 tactical missile systems ‘Tochka-U’. In terms of the number of artillery systems, Ukraine fielded the largest artillery force in Europe after Russia. The difference in numbers between Russian and Ukrainian artillery was not so significant at the beginning of the conflict: 2,433 barrel artillery systems against 1,176, and 3,547 MLRS against 1,680.
    The UAF had ammunition to support these systems in high-intensity warfighting for just over six weeks.
    Ammunition had been depleted by regular explosions at Ukrainian arsenals as a result of Russian sabotage. From 2014 to 2018, there were six such explosions, which destroyed more than 210,000 tonnes of ammunition, a large part of which were 152-mm shells and rockets for MLRS. For comparison, during the five years of the war in Donbas, the UAF spent about 70,000 tons of ammunition in total..
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Good afternoon

I think the constant negative news and the disarray in the conservative party, parts of which seem to be pushing the self destruct button, adds to a near helplessness amongst most of us and acceptance of the increasingly likely majority Labour government in 2024

On the contrary, a lot of us, indeed a majority of the country, are quite chipper about a long period of the Tories being on the opposition benches.
    It goes on...
    ...The development of Ukrainian artillery was not limited to increasing the number of artillery systems and units. A lot of effort was also put into qualitative improvement. Since 2015, all battalions began to receive UAVs ‘Furia’, ‘Leleka’, PD-1 and others, which significantly increased their ISR capabilities. US radars AN/TPQ-36, designed to determine the coordinates of enemy artillery, were transferred to Ukraine as part of US military-technical assistance and strengthened the capabilities for conducting counter-battery fire. The use of the ‘Kropyva’ combat control system – Ukrainian intelligent mapping software – saw an 80% reduction in the deployment time for artillery units. Simultaneously, the amount of time to destroy an unplanned target was reduced by two-thirds, and the time to open counter-battery fire by 90%. Special attention was paid to personnel training. Every year, the armed forces conducted more than 35 field brigade tactical exercises and more than 200 field battalion tactical exercises for artillery. Thus, Ukrainian defence plans aimed at using manoeuvre forces to fix and canalise attackers to enable their destruction by concentrated artillery fire....
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
  • Foxy said:

Good afternoon

On the contrary, a lot of us, indeed a majority of the country, are quite chipper about a long period of the Tories being on the opposition benches.
    You miss the point

I have little doubt Labour will win in 24 but that is not a reason to dismiss good news stories in these difficult times
    edited December 2022
    You can tell Bulb is now run by the Govt as they have tried to put up our bills at both of our houses and in both cases have succeeded in getting less money. Quite an achievement.

On our 2nd home they tried to double the monthly DD even though we weren't using what we were currently paying for so I moved to paying for actual usage each month. As this is less than the £66 from the Govt we pay nothing every month and just build up a credit (My wife is going to donate it to charity as it is ludicrous we get this).

Our main house was hiked about a month ago to a ludicrous figure. Bulb lets you reduce that online provided you don't go below a certain minimum amount. So each time I reduce it to the minimum. They have now tried to hike it again, so I have gone in and reduced it to the new minimum which is lower than the old one. Consequently a £30 increase has become a £7 decrease. How does the minimum you pay go down if the recommended amount goes up?

I wonder if anyone is sitting there going 'every time we increase this guys bills we get less money'.
  • DJ41 said:

Chris said:

Ms Fulani isn't expressing herself with 100% precision and on-the-ballness, what with her usage of words such as "space" and "safe", but no victim ever has perfect control over exactly the right set of concepts and exactly the right method of conveying them and this is no excuse for Ms Hussey's behaviour.

Hussey probably does use "your people" and "your family" synonymously, but she meant not just family but ancestors. As I understand it, Fulani's parents were born in the West Indies and given that they came here in the 1950s they were presumably already British before they came here. Given Fulani's age it would be a good guess given that she is Black British that her parents were also British, and if someone thinks people born and raised in British-administered British colonies in the British West Indies who emigrated to Britain weren't British despite being entitled to British passports they can drop dead AFAIAC.
    The "questioning my citizenship" stuff is entirely confected by Fulani.

I think the trouble is, Hussey was treating Fulani as an equal. If Fulani had said Spanish, she would come back with Do you know my great friend the Marques de Rioja? It's an unfortunate aberration of history that the closest link she could forge with Fulani's background is My family used to own yours.

The only live debate is what the jug eared adulterer thought he was doing putting her out to face the public.
This discussion has been closed.