Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hard to see anything other than a LAB hold in Chester – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon is, again, threatening the end of the world as we know it.

A few months ago it was nuclear annihilation. Now it's the end of all jobs.

I reckon the thing that will end the world is the thing that Leon doesn't talk about. There must be one thing? Meteorite strike? Carrington Event? Vacuum decay?

One thing's clear, we should all be in PANIC MODE!!!!

It's just the case that we are going through an extraordinary period in human history, when momentous events seem to arrive almost daily

Did we suffer a once in a century global plague, with 20m dead? Yes

Have we come horribly close to nuclear war, the closest since the Cuban Missile Crisis if not WW2? Again, yes

Has AI advanced at frightening speed these last two years, with the latest iterations sending people into despair for the future of their professions? Yep
    IT'S NOT EXTRAORDINARY, you pathetic, navel-gazing fool!

A little over a century ago, we had an unprecedented world war. Followed by a plague that killed 25-50 million. At a time when cars were a couple of decades old, and planes little over one decade.

My great-grandfather lived from roughly the 1870s to the 1960s. Just think of the way the world changed in all that time: cars, planes, space travel, nuclear power, nuclear weapons, world wars, telephony... the list is nearly endless. Hos world changed beyond recognition, but he, and his children, adapted and coped.

Your world-ending misery is just pathetic. We shall survive, however much you prefer to think of everything ending. You may be a hopeless depressive with a brainless desire for the dramatic, but life goes on.
    Er, lol
    Well, I'm glad I've allowed a little humour into you constant depression. Unless you meant "Lots of love", in which case I'm afraid I'm not interested. You're too high maintenance and too much drama. ;)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Do we now have to introduce ourselves with name and heritage, to show that we're happy to discuss it?

Or would that be even more insidiously racist?

You mean "my preferred pronoun is mbongo".
    Good lord, have we entered a time tunnel back to the Seventies?
    A few people have gone a bit weird about this on here today, falling over themselves to defend a toff who did a racism, like the Apu/'weird nerds' Elon Musk meme. FWIW I think @BartholomewRoberts is pretty much spot on in his reading of it.
    I think everyone has responded to the issue completely in line with where they stood on such things before this discussion. Nobody has convinced or been convinced either way.
    I almost agree.

But a hat tip to @pillsbury who earlier today made the argument that not only was this not racist when it self evidently is, but that there is "no racism in the middle class" in this country. None at all.

That convinced me that they are not setious and not to engage any further so that's something.
    I think I speak for the site when I say the news that you are "no longer engaging on this issue" comes as quite a relief
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Do we now have to introduce ourselves with name and heritage, to show that we're happy to discuss it?

A few people have gone a bit weird about this on here today, falling over themselves to defend a toff who did a racism, like the Apu/'weird nerds' Elon Musk meme. FWIW I think @BartholomewRoberts is pretty much spot on in his reading of it.
    I think everyone has responded to the issue completely in line with where they stood on such things before this discussion. Nobody has convinced or been convinced either way.
    I almost agree.

But a hat tip to @pillsbury who earlier today made the argument that not only was this not racist when it self evidently is, but that there is "no racism in the middle class" in this country. None at all.

That convinced me that they are not setious and not to engage any further so that's something.
    I think I speak for the site when I say the news that you are "no longer engaging on this issue" comes as quite a relief
    Oh don't worry yourself, I chose not to engage with them further not the issue. Though I'm not sure whose sock puppet they are anyway, is it one of your writer friends creations?
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

Oh don't worry yourself, I chose not to engage with them further not the issue. Though I'm not sure whose sock puppet they are anyway, is it one of your writer friends creations?
    Only a balls out racist would call me a sock puppet

What would you do if lady H had told ms F to return to the jungle, or arranged a lynch party? As you have run yourself fresh out of synthetic outrage over a slight failure of tact.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

That convinced me that they are not serious and not to engage any further so that's something.
    Hat tip does not mean what you think it means, and I see that the Urban Dictionary says this:

'the proof is in the pudding:
    A phrase that, when uttered, instantly identifies the speaker as being incredibly stupid and illiterate.'

Harsh but fair.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    German game about to start. They have to win or they're out of the competition.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    Just got access to openai.com.
    That's me tied up for the evening.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited December 2022
    pillsbury said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

That convinced me that they are not serious and not to engage any further so that's something.
    Hat tip does not mean what you think it means, and I see that the Urban Dictionary says this:

A phrase that, when uttered, instantly identifies the speaker as being incredibly stupid and illiterate.'

Harsh but fair.
    I gave you an acknowledgement hence the hat tip, and the Urban Dictionary writer you're quoting (as is not unusual on that site) is an ignoramus who didn't understand the saying, or its history, or its meaning. That they're too thick, doesn't make the saying or those who use it wrong.

I especially like that the oldest explanation saying that there claims its a modern bastardisation of a saying. No, that phrase has been used and with good reason since the 19th Century, so unless you are JRM or HYUFD talking about what makes a Tory, its not modern.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    The RUSI appears to be one of the stars of the war in Ukraine. I had a slight patriotic feeling when Michael Kofman named then as his premier source of information.
  • Options
    OT Pakistan v England: Are Ben Stokes' team changing Test cricket forever?
    "Smack it, score fast and take wickets. Pretty simple."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63819112
  • Options
    edited December 2022

pillsbury said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

Harsh but fair.
    I gave you an acknowledgement hence the hat tip, and the Urban Dictionary writer you're quoting (as is not unusual on that site) is an ignoramus who didn't understand the saying, or its history, or its meaning. That they're too thick, doesn't make the saying or those who use it wrong.

I especially like that the oldest explanation saying that there claims its a modern bastardisation of a saying. No, that phrase has been used and with good reason since the 19th Century, so unless you are JRM or HYUFD talking about what makes a Tory, its not modern.
    Openai.com summarises this as follows:

I gave you credit for something nice that you did, and the person you were quoting was wrong about the saying. The saying is actually very old and has been used for a long time.

As a tweet:
    Decide whether a Tweet's sentiment is positive, neutral, or negative.

Tweet: "I gave you an acknowledgement hence the hat tip, and the Urban Dictionary writer you're quoting (as is not unusual on that site) is an ignoramus who didn't understand the saying, or its history, or its meaning. That they're too thick, doesn't make the saying or those who use it wrong.

I especially like that the oldest explanation saying that there claims its a modern bastardisation of a saying. No, that phrase has been used and with good reason since the 19th Century, so unless you are JRM or HYUFD talking about what makes a Tory, its not modern."

Sentiment: Positive
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

On topic, looking at the by-election, turnout in 2019 was nearly 72% so cut out by two thirds and keeping the vote shares as they were meant a Labour win by just over 2,000. Labour would have had just over 9,000 votes and the Conservatives just under 7,000.

That on a turnout of 24% - applying a straight 10% swing from Conservative to Labour and you get a majority of around 5,700 so that's where I'd be starting with my expectations management. If the turnout is down at say 18% to be convenient, the majority becomes 4,300.

Put £20 of @TSE's money on it and I reckon a 5,000 Labour majority on a 25% turnout.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

pillsbury said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

Harsh but fair.

I gave you credit for something nice that you did, and the person you were quoting was wrong about the saying. The saying is actually very old and has been used for a long time.

As a tweet:

Tweet: "I gave you an acknowledgement hence the hat tip, and the Urban Dictionary writer you're quoting (as is not unusual on that site) is an ignoramus who didn't understand the saying, or its history, or its meaning. That they're too thick, doesn't make the saying or those who use it wrong.

I especially like that the oldest explanation saying that there claims its a modern bastardisation of a saying. No, that phrase has been used and with good reason since the 19th Century, so unless you are JRM or HYUFD talking about what makes a Tory, its not modern."

LOL. Got the nice part wrong, and the sentiment. 6/10 AI still needs more work.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Barnesian said:

pillsbury said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

Harsh but fair.

As a tweet:

:) I think this must be a benevolent AI.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Hello all, I'm embroiled so not posting much but just a quickie on the WC -

I'm liking our chances. I think we have 2 great performances in us from here and we'll need to use one to get by France in the quarters. This will leave one for either the semi or the final, meaning we'll have to win one of those with just a good solid performance (as against Wales). Plus the breaks of course. You can't win a WC without the breaks. We're going to need things to fall our way in one or two crucial moments in one or two of the knockout games, both regulation play and if necessary in the pens.

The key England game so far imo was against the USA. That 0/0 draw to skilled readers of international tournament football was perfect. The middle group game, having won the 1st, is 'mustn't lose' not 'must win' and we did exactly what was required. Conserved energy, turned the temp down, took no risks, kept a clean sheet, trousered the draw to ensure progression and provide the platform for the rest of the tournament. It also had the useful side benefit of lowering public expectations, which might have run riot with another 6/2 nonsense or similar.

Who knows from here, there are some very good teams apart from us, and Senegal up next are no joke, but I'm quite bullish. We are genuine contenders. Not even thinking about laying @ 11.

Senegal are either a joke or tremendous value at 180 on Betfair.
  • Options

254/4 on day one used to be almost decent
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

It is the only way to get results on dead pitches. It puts pressure on opponents even on those pitches where they should be safe since they cannot be sure batting time will work, as 20 wickets becomes doable when you set a target at 6.5 an over.

They'd still need to be more careful on livelier pitches, but you might as well go for it as in this test on flatter ones.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Till AI takes over, perhaps?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685

They could reach 1,000 runs tomorrow.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Finally had a chance to look at the census data on religion and other matters for Newham.

Across the whole Borough (population up 14% since 2011), Christianity (35.3%) edges out Muslim (34.8%) with No Religion (14.5%) and Hindu (6.1%) making up the bulk of what's left.

In my Ward, 33.4% are Muslim, 29% Christian, 21.5% Hindu and just 4.8% are No Religion so my Ward has a stronger Hindu identity and, as I expected, much fewer with No Religion than the rest of the Borough.

As for "National Identity", 59% UK and 39% Non-UK.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2022
    Just flicked through the thread. Had no idea this story had generated so much interest. Funny thing is that one of the big difficulties of pan European ads is that humour doesn't travel too well. The British in particular are famed for taking the piss out of themselves. In fact in the good old days this Royal cock-up would have been on air for some client or other by tonight. It's got everything......

(We even used to be able to take the piss out of the Germans....)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=carling+danbuster+ad#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:07d3378c,vid:YyuDUVnePsU
  • Options

The RUSI appears to be one of the stars of the war in Ukraine. I had a slight patriotic feeling when Michael Kofman named then as his premier source of information.

Justin Bronk from RUSI has been excellent - as an example, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYDnspMWdaM

Oddly enough, when I linked to that video on here, a few days later 'expert' Dura_Ace appeared to surmise it as his own wisdom. ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They could even do it before Tea

That would be impressive
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

pillsbury said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

I almost agree.

Harsh but fair.

As a tweet:

:) I think this must be a benevolent AI.
    Or its an AI trained on Twitter exchanges as a benchmark.

"This user said you are an ignoramus who didn't understand the subject matter"
    "Is that all? That's pretty positive."
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

They could even do it before Tea

That would be impressive
    Obviously @Andy_JS and I will be blamed when we're all out for 520
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,294
    Roger said:

Ngozi Fulani must have an extraordinarily low insult threshold!

Leading the BBC News with a woman being slighted by a confused 84 year old no one has ever heard of is a keeper!

Thank God she didn't bump into Ali G!

Impossible. He wasn't indahouse.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

Till AI takes over, perhaps?
    I have no intention of taking over.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting one on change and the landscape:

"Where are we? 100 years ago. That’s a very well-known main road, still in exactly the same place today. With a railway curving through the centre and right of the picture. The railway and every building are now gone."

https://twitter.com/PaulCliftonBBC/status/1598029937436418051

A landscape that some now think of as timeless...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,294
    edited December 2022

I dunno. Boycott was dropped after England scored 281-3 on the opening day, of which his share was 106 (stretched to 246 not out)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-england-1967-62282/england-vs-india-1st-test-63004/full-scorecard
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2022
    stodge said:

Finally had a chance to look at the census data on religion and other matters for Newham.

Across the whole Borough (population up 14% since 2011), Christianity (35.3%) edges out Muslim (34.8%) with No Religion (14.5%) and Hindu (6.1%) making up the bulk of what's left.

In my Ward, 33.4% are Muslim, 29% Christian, 21.5% Hindu and just 4.8% are No Religion so my Ward has a stronger Hindu identity and, as I expected, much fewer with No Religion than the rest of the Borough.

As for "National Identity", 59% UK and 39% Non-UK.

Newham much less no religion than the 37% UK average even if less Christian than the 46% UK average too.

Indeed that is the trend across most of London except the outer suburbs, less Christian than the UK but more of other faiths and fewer non religious.

The highest Christian areas tend to be more rural areas and Catholic heavy Merseyside and the most non religious graduate and student heavy areas like York and Cambridge, Bristol, Norwich and Brighton as well as ex industrial areas, especially in south Wales
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/29/uk-census-christians-now-minority-england-wales-first-time/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I dunno. Boycott was dropped after England scored 281-3 on the opening day, of which his share was 106 (stretched to 246 not out)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-england-1967-62282/england-vs-india-1st-test-63004/full-scorecard
    He batted through over 96 overs for 247 in that innings
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Roger said:

Ngozi Fulani must have an extraordinarily low insult threshold!

Leading the BBC News with a woman being slighted by a confused 84 year old no one has ever heard of is a keeper!

Thank God she didn't bump into Ali G!

I rarely agree with Roger on matters of current affairs (sorry Rog - nothing personal) but that is exactly my take. If a conversationally inept pensioner is the worst thing which happens to you in a day you've had a good day.

One of my door handles stopped working today. It took me half an hour to get the door open. (I used the lemonade bottle trick.) I had to get my friend Gary to help me take the handle off because I couldn't work it out. We tried replacing the mechanism, but the replacement mechanism didn't work either. Now I have a door with a handle but no mechanism so it won't stay shut.
    Frankly, I think my tale of woe is more woeful than hers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,634

Also when you've been struck by severe diarrhea the night before, you don't want to hang around in the middle longer than necessary.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited December 2022

Here is an interesting one on change and the landscape:

"Where are we? 100 years ago. That’s a very well-known main road, still in exactly the same place today. With a railway curving through the centre and right of the picture. The railway and every building are now gone."

https://twitter.com/PaulCliftonBBC/status/1598029937436418051

A landscape that some now think of as timeless...

I was thinking Netheravon/Upavon but that's more like a Roman road.

[Wrong. edited - just found the answer in the Twitter thread.]
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Also when you've been struck by severe diarrhea the night before, you don't want to hang around in the middle longer than necessary.
    Good point. Isn't this the England team who were under a virus yesterday?

Maybe we should be finding out what this bug is and giving it SPotY.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

On topic, looking at the by-election, turnout in 2019 was nearly 72% so cut out by two thirds and keeping the vote shares as they were meant a Labour win by just over 2,000. Labour would have had just over 9,000 votes and the Conservatives just under 7,000.

That on a turnout of 24% - applying a straight 10% swing from Conservative to Labour and you get a majority of around 5,700 so that's where I'd be starting with my expectations management. If the turnout is down at say 18% to be convenient, the majority becomes 4,300.

Put £20 of @TSE's money on it and I reckon a 5,000 Labour majority on a 25% turnout.

I'm with you on that, I would also suggest a majority around the 4 to 5000 mark on a turnout of at the very most 30%, and that would be properly pushing the be-election boat out. Likely it will be lower given the chilly November weather and the general lack of press interest.
This discussion has been closed.