Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brexiteers should expect a lot more polling like this – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
imageBrexiteers should expect a lot more polling like this – politicalbetting.com

We are starting to see a fair bit of polling like this where the issue of the UK’s relationship with the EU is the focus. .

Read the full story here

Comments

• England captain Harry Kane will be fit to play in Friday's World Cup match against the United States
  • There's two strucrural cracks in the tory party, one being this and one being builders vs bananas, both coming to a head pretty rapidly.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

'Yer carnt even wear a hauberk and crusader's surcoat without bein' arrested nowadays!'

It's funny, but I do think that sounds like bullshit. Getting triggered by medieval armour? There's been more modern depredations, but armour wielding knights was a bloody long time ago.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2022
    So support for Rejoin barely over 20%…and Remain voters not even at 50%.
  • Outremer consists of the County of Edessa, Principality of Antioch, County of Tripoli, and Kingdom of Jerusalem. Any later entities are wokeist nonsense.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Only about 20% wanting to Rejoin, I note.
  • Just told my wife that whilst our union was consensual, she does not have the power to leave as she is not oppressed (although I have restricted her freedom of movement and banned engagement with our neighbours). I’ve told her we can discuss this again in a generation ;-)

https://twitter.com/jamesrwithers/status/1595369378270298112?s=46&t=zXcDW_tNSdAhushtct9iZg

I assume she took the news well?
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    kle4 said:

'Yer carnt even wear a hauberk and crusader's surcoat without bein' arrested nowadays!'

It's funny, but I do think that sounds like bullshit. Getting triggered by medieval armour? There's been more modern depredations, but armour wielding knights was a bloody long time ago.
    True, but in much of the arab world (and beyond) the term 'crusader' is a bit like 'jihadist' in the west. Neither understanding is correct, but there it is.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    These appear to be the very figures I've been banging on about for weeks. Only one third of people are picking the EU or Single Market. Which more or less rules out anything we could do quickly.

It is pretty clear that without a large change of public opinion the politicians ought to be concentrating on a close but not too close relationship with the EU, and they shouldn't confuse unhappiness with Brexit as an endorsement of the EU.
  • Are JL Partners members of the BPC? Cos if they are, they’re sailing close to the wind.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Just told my wife that whilst our union was consensual, she does not have the power to leave as she is not oppressed (although I have restricted her freedom of movement and banned engagement with our neighbours). I’ve told her we can discuss this again in a generation ;-)

https://twitter.com/jamesrwithers/status/1595369378270298112?s=46&t=zXcDW_tNSdAhushtct9iZg

Doubt it. The tweet has been deleted.
  • Carnyx said:

Just told my wife that whilst our union was consensual, she does not have the power to leave as she is not oppressed (although I have restricted her freedom of movement and banned engagement with our neighbours). I’ve told her we can discuss this again in a generation ;-)

How to cancel a union.
    edited November 2022
    Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

True, but in much of the arab world (and beyond) the term 'crusader' is a bit like 'jihadist' in the west. Neither understanding is correct, but there it is.
    Just think of a certain football team not a million miles from the wet bit between Ireland and Britain, and how their fans play up sometimes, and the pearl-clutching on here when they do.

PS And I did once wonder how the locals reacted to the Crusader tank being sent out in WW2 to play a major role in the Western Desert (and to some extent Tunisian) campaigns.
  • Driver said:

And status quo at 7%.

If this is a popularity contest, Brexiteers are losing. And badly.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,088
    kle4 said:

Compare with European countries that have banned the Burka, perhaps?

Triggered by a headscarf.
  • Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Just think of a certain football team not a million miles from the wet bit between Ireland and Britain, and how their fans play up sometimes, and the pearl-clutching on here when they do.

PS And I did once wonder how the locals reacted to the Crusader tank being sent out in WW2 to play a major role in the Western Desert (and to some extent Tunisian) campaigns.
    There's a pub in Bath called The Saracen's Head, in these enlightened times adorned with a sign depicting a Saracen from Central Casting. I dread to think what was hanging up there in days of yore.
  • Are JL Partners members of the BPC? Cos if they are, they’re sailing close to the wind.

Why do you say that?
    edited November 2022
    kle4 said:

More basic issue, I think. Crusader stuff = overtly and publicly expressed approval of Christian proselytising (the violent bit is just added insult). Not on in Qatar.
  • Latest royal net positivity ratings (9-10 Nov)

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    The institution of the monarchy +30
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1595726999196209152?s=46&t=zXcDW_tNSdAhushtct9iZg

Prince Andrew as popular as Tory prime ministers in the Caledonian colony.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2022
    As the dust starts to settle on the Supreme Court verdict, it’s incredibly important that Nationalist and Unionist alike understand there remains a lawful, constitutional and democratic path to independence for those who wish to pursue it 1/

That path is persuasion. Everyone understands & agrees that the decision-maker is the Scottish people. So, if you want indy, persuade them! When it is clearly and constantly the settled will of the Scottish people to have either indyref2 or independence itself, they’ll have it 2/

Yesterday’s ruling did nothing to change that. Ever since Margaret Thatcher was PM the UK state has been perfectly clear that it will not seek to obstruct the settled will of the Scottish people. Opinion polling will tell us what the people want 3/

If polls show clear and constant majority support for indyref2 or for indy itself, so be it. Nicola Sturgeon said this herself—get to 60% support for 6, 9, or 12 months and that’s settled will—and in those circumstances the UK state will not block what Scotland wants 4/

In that sense, and contrary to what Ms Sturgeon is now saying, the UK is and always has been a voluntary union. More so than Canada (whose Provinces cannot unilaterally secede). Much more so than the US (whose States cannot secede at all) 5/

Those opposed to independence should campaign for Scots to agree with them, that our true priorities are health, economy, schools, and hospitals, leaving the Nationalists to fixate on indy. That’s politics. It’s lawful, constitutional and democratic. That’s as it should be. /End

https://twitter.com/ProfTomkins/status/1595700411620532226

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Arizona’s GOP governor congratulates Hobbs on victory as Lake refuses to concede
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3748560-arizonas-gop-governor-congratulates-hobbs-on-victory-as-lake-refuses-to-concede/
  • Surely the Brexit question isn't the 'real' issue. At least in terms of the 2016 question, it's been 6 years now.

It should be about reframing it to be what works vs what doesn't work. If trade can be improved, then the government should consider what can be done to improve things.

Problem is people are still looking at things against a 2016 mindset. Things need moving on.

If we can come to a new trading partnership, we should do that if it's in our interests. We are out of the EU. Both of the 2016 sides should recognise that, and not complain about Brexit, but rather how things should be moving forward.

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

There's a pub in Bath called The Saracen's Head, in these enlightened times adorned with a sign depicting a Saracen from Central Casting. I dread to think what was hanging up there in days of yore.
    Well, plenty of pubs called the King's Head and Nag's Head ... plenty of horses, but kings are scarcer altogether and the assorted Royal Families do get possessive.
  • As the dust starts to settle on the Supreme Court verdict, it’s incredibly important that Nationalist and Unionist alike understand there remains a lawful, constitutional and democratic path to independence for those who wish to pursue it 1/
    That path is persuasion. Everyone understands & agrees that the decision-maker is the Scottish people. So, if you want indy, persuade them! When it is clearly and constantly the settled will of the Scottish people to have either indyref2 or independence itself, they’ll have it 2/

Yesterday’s ruling did nothing to change that. Ever since Margaret Thatcher was PM the UK state has been perfectly clear that it will not seek to obstruct the settled will of the Scottish people. Opinion polling will tell us what the people want 3/

If polls show clear and constant majority support for indyref2 or for indy itself, so be it. Nicola Sturgeon said this herself—get to 60% support for 6, 9, or 12 months and that’s settled will—and in those circumstances the UK state will not block what Scotland wants 4/

In that sense, and contrary to what Ms Sturgeon is now saying, the UK is and always has been a voluntary union. More so than Canada (whose Provinces cannot unilaterally secede). Much more so than the US (whose States cannot secede at all) 5/

Those opposed to independence should campaign for Scots to agree with them, that our true priorities are health, economy, schools, and hospitals, leaving the Nationalists to fixate on indy. That’s politics. It’s lawful, constitutional and democratic. That’s as it should be. /End

So, governance by opinion poll, not by the results of democratic elections.

If England were governed by the same principle the Tories would have been out on their arses long ago.
  • Best for Britain
    @BestForBritain
    ·
    1h
    Michael Gove in an ABSOLUTE PANIC about having made the initial introduction of that controversial Michelle Mone PPE contract. Worth watching the whole clip. Definitely more to this story.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1595705704576229376

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/23/michelle-mones-ppe-denials-v-what-we-know

Gove indeed looking rattled, and rightly. This is failed African state level corruption, and always was. 10s of millions of quids for ministers' mates
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

Too late to edit. Also applies to the hijab, which *is* a headscarf.

Or with the UK football authorities triggered by the Dambusters march or arms outstretched like an aeroplane, if you want a closer parallel.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Next time one of the Nordic countries play in England we'd better ban their Viking helmets! It is offensive considering the raping and pillaging of England over a thousand years ago.

Driver said:

And status quo at 7%.

It isn't... the point is, to change the status quo there needs to be decent support for the specific change. Looking at those figures, that isn't anywhere near being realised.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Well, plenty of pubs called the King's Head and Nag's Head ... plenty of horses, but kings are scarcer altogether and the assorted Royal Families do get possessive.
    Extraordinarily the Labour In Vain pub seems to have retained its terribly amusing sign, at least up to 2015

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/02/06/row-over-labour-in-vain-19th-century-pub-sign-showing-white-couple-washing-black-boy/

As the dust starts to settle on the Supreme Court verdict, it’s incredibly important that Nationalist and Unionist alike understand there remains a lawful, constitutional and democratic path to independence for those who wish to pursue it 1/

If England were governed by the same principle the Tories would have been out on their arses long ago.
    Quite, he and his ilk are dangerous subversives.

Also carefully forgets that Mrs T's criterion was a simple majority of SNP MPs in Scottish constituencies.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63636641

O/T but a story that will interest @Richard_Tyndall and @Morris_Dancer and a good example of how archaeology and science can overturn accepted historical wisdom.

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Quite a few Saracens/Turks Head pubs across England; supposedly named for links to the Crusades, which I imagine is romanticism seeing as they'll largely be Victorian in origin.

While we're meandering on pubs - I happened upon this fascinating piece recently on links between 'desi pubs' and football culture. Well worth a read, and some lovely photography too:

https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2022/11/14/please-dont-take-me-home-how-black-country-desi-pub-culture-made-football-more-diverse

If you get a majority in the parliament that can call a referendum, you can call a referendum.
  • Latest royal net positivity ratings (9-10 Nov)

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1595726999196209152?s=46&t=zXcDW_tNSdAhushtct9iZg

Good to see clear blue water between poor old Megs, and the Duke of Pork. January gonna be less dull than usual, with the publication of The Book.
  • pillsbury said:

Best for Britain
    @BestForBritain
    ·
    1h
    Michael Gove in an ABSOLUTE PANIC about having made the initial introduction of that controversial Michelle Mone PPE contract. Worth watching the whole clip. Definitely more to this story.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/23/michelle-mones-ppe-denials-v-what-we-know

Gove indeed looking rattled, and rightly. This is failed African state level corruption, and always was. 10s of millions of quids for ministers' mates

Mone is a stain on the British state. Her presence in the legislature is a disgrace. She should be in prison and her assets confiscated.

Gove should be impeached.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Back in the day, (the 11th to 13th centuries) the Muslim world viewed the crusades as a virtual irrelevance, because they occupied so little territory. Hulegu Khan, on the other hand, came close to destroying the Muslim world.
    pillsbury said:

Latest royal net positivity ratings (9-10 Nov)

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

Good to see clear blue water between poor old Megs, and the Duke of Pork. January gonna be less dull than usual, with the publication of The Book.
    How can 6% of the population have a positive view of Prince Andrew?
    edited November 2022
    The headline really twists the knife.

Pound hits post-Truss high as dollar weakens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63732425
  • Along similar lines to Tomkinson (thread) - this time from a supporter of independence

Problem I've got just now is that I don't believe top-brass SNP when they insist they want a referendum soon. This impasse is an electoral goldmine. The salience of this argument about democracy only resonates in presence of undeniable popular support for indy.

https://twitter.com/lokiscottishrap/status/1595549176112218114

edited November 2022
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

More basic issue, I think. Crusader stuff = overtly and publicly expressed approval of Christian proselytising (the violent bit is just added insult). Not on in Qatar.
    Fair observation.

Whilst we can correctly point to overuse of the image for nationalistic reasons, the traditional antagonism of Islamic countries to changing religion (in various places a death penalty, or technical death penality, or more likely a mob murder in eg Pakistan), football fans dressed up as crusaders will be perceived as very pointed / confrontational.

Given the legacy of Iraq and Afghanistan, it is not surprising. And the West is substantially responsible, which our various outraged commentators are reluctant to acknowledge whilst parading their ethical superiority.

On Nov 14th Hard Talk was a fascinating interview with Archbishop Bashar Matti Warda of Erbil, home to Iraq's largest remaining Christian community of about 300k people. Covered what he is doing to support his community, and the tensions in being in an Islamic country. 20 minutes.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct32r3
    pillsbury said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Extraordinarily the Labour In Vain pub seems to have retained its terribly amusing sign, at least up to 2015

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/02/06/row-over-labour-in-vain-19th-century-pub-sign-showing-white-couple-washing-black-boy/
    The pub appears to be closed as of July 2022 from Google Street View.
    Sean_F said:

pillsbury said:

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

They don't follow the news?
  • Driver said:

Driver said:

And status quo at 7%.

It isn't... the point is, to change the status quo there needs to be decent support for the specific change. Looking at those figures, that isn't anywhere near being realised.
    But the categories are themselves squidgy and unspecific, which rather detracts from that point. Key thing is, ignore "Inside," and look how fat the next 3 bands are individually and in aggregate.
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Quite a few Saracens/Turks Head pubs across England; supposedly named for links to the Crusades, which I imagine is romanticism seeing as they'll largely be Victorian in origin.

While we're meandering on pubs - I happened upon this fascinating piece recently on links between 'desi pubs' and football culture. Well worth a read, and some lovely photography too:

https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2022/11/14/please-dont-take-me-home-how-black-country-desi-pub-culture-made-football-more-diverse
    That's really good, thanks.
  • As the dust starts to settle on the Supreme Court verdict, it’s incredibly important that Nationalist and Unionist alike understand there remains a lawful, constitutional and democratic path to independence for those who wish to pursue it 1/

Why do you think Sturgeon no longer argues for consistent 60% support?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343

Just about the least impressive analogy available. In a world requiring stability within established structures new state formation within democracies should be:

possible
    difficult and demanding
    only available with very strong numbers to support it
    not allowed to crowd out everyday issues and dominate the agenda.

The SNP fails critically on the numbers issue.

Exploring the potential: a high energy density pulsed power device as a UK R&D platform

The Royal Society, with Dr Nick Hawker of First Light Fusion, is hosting this meeting to explore the possible research applications for a new UK capability for High Energy Density (HED) science. The meeting will take place at the Royal Society on Monday 28 November.
    https://royalsociety.org/science-events-and-lectures/2022/11/exploring-the-research-potential-of-a-pulsed-power-device/
    pillsbury said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

And status quo at 7%.

But the categories are themselves squidgy and unspecific, which rather detracts from that point. Key thing is, ignore "Inside," and look how fat the next 3 bands are individually and in aggregate.
    Purple is a unicorn, though. That said, I've always said that some sort of "half out" was probably the inevitable destination becuase "half in" wasn't sustainable, so it's about getting there.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    kle4 said:

The headline really twists the knife.

Pound hits post-Truss high as dollar weakens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63732425

Almost as if the “pound weakness” was actually dollar strength due to Fed rates expectations.

pillsbury said:

Best for Britain
    @BestForBritain
    ·
    1h

Mone is a stain on the British state. Her presence in the legislature is a disgrace. She should be in prison and her assets confiscated.

Gove should be impeached.
    She was very much looked up to by the media in the indyref years - threatening to close down her factory and move herself and her business south of the border, IIRC, if the Yes side won. In the event, it didn't, but ...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Talking of inappropriate pub names and signs:

https://www.wondersofthepeak.org.uk/chapters/the-quiet-woman/
  • Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

There's a pub in Pontefract that was called, until surprisingly recently, The Blackamoor.
  • Carnyx said:

Also carefully forgets that Mrs T's criterion was a simple majority of SNP MPs in Scottish constituencies.
    Your statement is incorrect. Mrs Thatcher's criterion was actually a simple majority of SNP MPs in UK constituencies. Then the SNP could pass the required legislation in Westminster.
    edited November 2022
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Back in the day, (the 11th to 13th centuries) the Muslim world viewed the crusades as a virtual irrelevance, because they occupied so little territory. Hulegu Khan, on the other hand, came close to destroying the Muslim world.
    Back then the rest of Europe was an irrelevance (more or less) surely?

The Byzantine Empire was still standing, and Europe was a backwater.

We have since had, and are still in (ish), an era of Western dominance.

And the Arab World is arguably one of the least successful global regions, with a ready self-justifying narrative of crusaders available.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

Driver said:

It doesn't tell the whole story though does it?

I am an enthusiastic Remainer that doesn't want to rejoin. We left, the train has left the station. We had great terms, if we rejoin we won't. You told us it would be great. We are still anticipating this greatness .

Do I regret leaving as I wait in the border control queue at Bristol Airport? A queue that pre - Brexit I didn't need to join. Yes, but you told me it will be fantastic. I'm taking your word for it. Why should I demand we rejoin?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Utterly extraordinary.

Here is a Secretary of State explicitly arguing that joining the Pacific trade bloc is a great move, not because it can fix the economic damage that the Tories have caused, but because it will tie the hands of an incoming Labour gov't trying to fix it. ~AA

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1595689784990736386
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Nigelb said:
    Excellent. The sort of quiet gesture that the King can take without crossing the line into legislative interference.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

Driver said:

And status quo at 7%.

It isn't.

And if it were, the contorted in anger faces of Remainers means they are the ugly unpopular ones.

Could try smiling.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Nigelb said:

Exploring the potential: a high energy density pulsed power device as a UK R&D platform

The Royal Society, with Dr Nick Hawker of First Light Fusion, is hosting this meeting to explore the possible research applications for a new UK capability for High Energy Density (HED) science. The meeting will take place at the Royal Society on Monday 28 November.
    https://royalsociety.org/science-events-and-lectures/2022/11/exploring-the-research-potential-of-a-pulsed-power-device/

First Light Fusion has been mentioned on here a few times. Their approach offers a plausible means of hitting fusion without insane heat in seriously complex magnetic containers.

Driver said:

It doesn't tell the whole story though does it?
    No, it doesn't, but neither does the header.
  • Sean_F said:

pillsbury said:

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

Being friends of nonces is popular?

I wonder if it is because he was the Queen’s favourite.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Carnyx said:

How to cancel a union.
    How do I go about cancelling the Union from England?
    edited November 2022

Nigelb said:
    Excellent. The sort of quiet gesture that the King can take without crossing the line into legislative interference.
    But what will Eagles fans eat now?

Of course, situated at the foot of Nottingham Castle and nestled in the sandstone cliff rock, Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem is England's oldest inn.

It doesn't reference a holiday destination....
  • Carnyx said:

Not just Mrs T.

glw said:

These appear to be the very figures I've been banging on about for weeks. Only one third of people are picking the EU or Single Market. Which more or less rules out anything we could do quickly.

It is pretty clear that without a large change of public opinion the politicians ought to be concentrating on a close but not too close relationship with the EU, and they shouldn't confuse unhappiness with Brexit as an endorsement of the EU.

'Close but not too close' is the problem not the solution. What does it mean? SM is binary. You are in or out. If you are out of the SM our sort of deal is as close as it gets.

The figures in the polling in the article are roughly:

35% for SM
    35% for something undefined and currently unavailable outside the SM, looks like a unicorn.
    13% something like status quo
    17% don't know.

Given that the Tories have probably lost the next election attention needs to turn to the fact that this is actually Labour's nightmare.

Carnyx said:

How to cancel a union.
    Follow the legal route?
    Near me, there's a pub (the Old Ferry Boat Inn near St Ives) that has a woman's body buried beneath the floor, near the bar. The woman died nearly 1,000 years ago.

Allegedly.

And to reignite an old debate: some claim the inn to be the oldest inn in England. Innit?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited November 2022
    On topic, the World Cup is causing problems in China.

They see the world isn’t locked down…

Carnyx said:

Your statement is incorrect. Mrs Thatcher's criterion was actually a simple majority of SNP MPs in UK constituencies. Then the SNP could pass the required legislation in Westminster.
    No; specifically Scotland, and no referendum mentioned, so the only way was a majority of Scottish constituencies.

https://twitter.com/davidtorrance/status/1217477656284975104

Of course, situated at the foot of Nottingham Castle and nestled in the sandstone cliff rock, Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem is England's oldest inn.

Our posts crossed in the aether... ;)
  • Carnyx said:

How to cancel a union.
    Carry on the same path. You lot are doing a terrific job.
  • Mr. F, yeah, interesting article (and one wonders at the numismatic value of the coin now).

Carnyx said:

Not just Mrs T.

Indeed, "from time to time" but not "constantly". And it was reassessed just eight years ago.
  • Near me, there's a pub (the Old Ferry Boat Inn near St Ives) that has a woman's body buried beneath the floor, near the bar. The woman died nearly 1,000 years ago.

Allegedly.

And to reignite an old debate: some claim the inn to be the oldest inn in England. Innit?

Innit or outside it, I would think, as they are basically an English invention.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    algarkirk said:

Just about the least impressive analogy available. In a world requiring stability within established structures new state formation within democracies should be:

possible
    difficult and demanding

In general I think a persistent success by a separatist party should give the basis for a referendum every 20 years or so, but if the result vary by region then the separatists shouldn't be allowed to claim the entire area merely because they claim a historical identity - rather, the Schleswig-Holstein approach should be taken so that only those parts who are pro-separatist should split off. Cf. Northern Ireland too.
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

And the Arab World is arguably one of the least successful global regions, with a ready self-justifying narrative of crusaders available.
    On the subject of Crusades generally, I have no desire to defend them or whatever, but in that period the crusades were just one set of violent empire building projects commonly found all over the place. The folks seeking to conquer/liberate/recapture Jerusalem were neither better nor worse than their predecessors - who had previously done the same - and their successors.
  • pillsbury said:

Near me, there's a pub (the Old Ferry Boat Inn near St Ives) that has a woman's body buried beneath the floor, near the bar. The woman died nearly 1,000 years ago.

Allegedly.

Innit or outside it, I would think, as they are basically an English invention.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popina

algarkirk said:

possible
    difficult and demanding

In general I think a persistent success by a separatist party should give the basis for a referendum every 20 years or so, but if the result vary by region then the separatists shouldn't be allowed to claim the entire area merely because they claim a historical identity - rather, the Schleswig-Holstein approach should be taken so that only those parts who are pro-separatist should split off. Cf. Northern Ireland too.
    That's a neat idea, but it has a rather interesting potential issue: enclaves. As an example: if the Borders of Scotland voted to remain in the UK whilst the rest of Scotland voted for independence, then the border could just be redrawn.

But what if Edinburgh/the Lothians voted to remain, along with Dundee?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    algarkirk said:

MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

On the subject of Crusades generally, I have no desire to defend them or whatever, but in that period the crusades were just one set of violent empire building projects commonly found all over the place. The folks seeking to conquer/liberate/recapture Jerusalem were neither better nor worse than their predecessors - who had previously done the same - and their successors.
    No. 14 Squadron RAF have a Crusader Cross and a quote from the Holy Qu'ran in Arabic on their badge. All bases covered.
  • algarkirk said:

possible
    difficult and demanding

Nick playing the partition card. I thought better of you. That is low. Really, really low.
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

Anti-crusader rhetoric was really an invention of Arab nationalists in the 20th century.

Mr. F, yeah, interesting article (and one wonders at the numismatic value of the coin now).

Dacia ceased to be formally a province, in 275, but Roman military and civilian involvement in the area continued for centuries afterwards. It's similar to Southern Scotland, which was sometimes a province, and sometimes ruled more indirectly.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

Carnyx said:

How to cancel a union.
    Follow the legal route?
    You are Suella Braveman and i claim my prize
  • Scott_xP said:

Utterly extraordinary.

Here is a Secretary of State explicitly arguing that joining the Pacific trade bloc is a great move, not because it can fix the economic damage that the Tories have caused, but because it will tie the hands of an incoming Labour gov't trying to fix it. ~AA

Did people not notice how much of Jeremy Hunt's budget simply punted problems onto the next government? Should we assume Hunt was unaware of the opinion polls and was not trying to entrap Labour?

algarkirk said:

possible
    difficult and demanding

That's a neat idea, but it has a rather interesting potential issue: enclaves. As an example: if the Borders of Scotland voted to remain in the UK whilst the rest of Scotland voted for independence, then the border could just be redrawn.

I think we would end up looking like a map of the Holy Roman Empire in about 1300.

Seriously, the right answer, I think, is in requiring a high bar for the mandate - 66% or thereabouts?

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Sean_F said:

Mr. F, yeah, interesting article (and one wonders at the numismatic value of the coin now).

Dacia ceased to be formally a province, in 275, but Roman military and civilian involvement in the area continued for centuries afterwards. It's similar to Southern Scotland, which was sometimes a province, and sometimes ruled more indirectly.

She grips the animal-shoulder naked skin
    Of his fitted leather jacket,
    Letting a wake of hair float out the spin
    And dazzled rinse of air,
    Yet for all their headlong lurch and flatulent racket
    They seem to loiter there,

Forever aslant in their moment and the mind’s eye.
    Meanwhile, around the column
    There also turn, and turn eternally,
    Two thousand raw recruits
    And scarred veterans coiling the stone in solemn
    Military pursuits,

The heft and grit of the emperor’s Dacian Wars
    That lasted fifteen years.
    All of that youth and purpose is, of course,
    No more than so much dust.
    And even Trajan, of his imperial peers
    Accounted “the most just,”

Honoured by Dante, by Gregory the Great
    Saved from eternal Hell,
    Swirls in the motes kicked up by the cough and spate
    Of the Vespa’s blue exhaust,
    And a voice whispers inwardly, “My soul,
    It is the cost, the cost,”

From Anthony Hecht 'The Cost'
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Sean_F said:

pillsbury said:

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

Some people 'fans' will refuse to believe their hero has done anything wrong. They must have been stitched up. Others I'm afraid may take the view that he's entitled to be a bit of a 'lad'.

It will be fascinating to see how the SNP play the coming GE campaign. A faux referendum on independence she says, people should vote on their record in government the opposition say. In reality it is neither - SNP MPs are not in government and have no record as such to defend, but at the same time a vote for a named candidate (what you legally vote for, not the party or the leader) is not a mandate for "a referendum".

There is so much right in Scotland - and so much wrong. I'm glad the SC ruled as it did, but "the issue is settled, shut up and go away" from unionists will not make that happen. Whatever happened to both sides making a positive case for what they want?
  • I'm sure the residents of southern France will be relieved that, finally, the crusading outfits aren't allowed any more.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199

algarkirk said:

possible
    difficult and demanding

It's not a neat idea, it's a really stupid idea, which I assumed was made as a joke (or some weird Brexit reference)

Allegedly.

Here's your guy for this: https://twitter.com/jpwarchaeology/status/1522202352723369986?lang=en

What an amazing amount of common sense all in one go.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Sean_F said:

pillsbury said:

Prince William +69
    Catherine +64
    Princess Anne +64
    Princess Diana +53
    King Charles +43
    Prince Edward +38
    Camilla +15
    Prince Harry -13
    Meghan -32
    Prince Andrew -79

Perhaps they too are dirty old men lusting after hot teenage girls?
    Scott_xP said:

Utterly extraordinary.

"Utterly extraordinary."

How politically naive can you get?

I'm sure all on the Left were clutching their pearls when former Labour adviser Andrew Neather notoriously said hugely increased migration was a policy devised to 'rub the Right's nose in diversity' – that is, to change the UK's ethnic make-up as a taunt to Middle England.

Oh no, they were giggling.

Until Brexit.

Possibly. The Adam and Eve in Norwich also claims the title (I think). Both are certainly very old and a great thrill to drink somewhere that old.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996

Scott_xP said:

Utterly extraordinary.

"Utterly extraordinary."

How politically naive can you get?

I'm sure all on the Left were clutching their pearls when former Labour adviser Andrew Neather notoriously said hugely increased migration was a policy devised to 'rub the Right's nose in diversity' – that is, to change the UK's ethnic make-up as a taunt to Middle England.

Oh no, they were giggling.

Until Brexit.
    It's no different to the fiscal delay policy of almost every Chancellor since the 90s bar Osborne. Hope the other guy pays the bill. Most recently Hunt on social care.
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

The headscarf is a more nuanced argument though. I know plenty of muslim women claim to like wearing it, but in Iran right now there seems to be a bit of a revolt against it. In the west we see it as oppression of women's rights. I don't think dressing up in anachronistic costume is the same thing. Would they react the same to a Roman get up? Also involved in massive blood-letting and conquering in the middle east.
This discussion has been closed.