Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The World Cup betting tracker – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Even after the 2:1: Japanese fans stayed back to clean
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1595495444339380224

I feel we should implement the same approach the Japanese take with school cleaning by children - it seems to work wonders on general cleanliness. As far as trying a new cultural approach it seems a very good one.
    I don't know if it's good for general cleanliness but it doesn't do much for school cleanliness.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    Nigelb said:

Member of Trump's legal team.

.@JennaEllisEsq on the Club Q shooting. The “people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewkimmel/status/1595492438033936385

Jenna Ellis Esq looks female and sounds female, but signs his/her name with Esq. So he is male... Certainly very confused and probably heading for eternal damnation, I would think.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    DJ41 said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

@elonmusk
    It has been really bad. Far left San Francisco/Berkeley views have been propagated to the world via Twitter.

I’m sure this comes as no surprise to anyone watching closely.

Twitter is moving rapidly to establish an even playing field. No more thumb on the scale!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595534031545765890

Views I don't agree with have been propogated.
    The very mark of a free speech absolutist.
    It's a bit trickier than first imagined.
    Musk is just an arse labouring under the misapprehension that he's witty.
    He seems to think he's the messiah, channelling the human species's destiny to itself.

Curiously the Sh*tter account #elonmuskisac*nt (without the bleepout) is marked as "suspended".

C'mon, Musk, is Musk a c*nt or is he not a c*nt? Or does he tell us like some fool of a philosophy lecturer that it's more complicated than that?

Let's hold a vote! "Vox Populi, Vox Dei", according to the Musk.
    Let's hold a very biased vote. And let's only hold one occasionally; the other times I will just arbitrarily decide. And that idea about a "content council" to make difficult decisions? It's ME!
  • I hope some have taken their blood pressure meds (if they need them)

Pensioners' relative economic progress is huge:
    - poorer pensioners overtook poorer working age households at centurys start
    - typical pensioners then matched typical working age households a decade back
    - now even rich pensioners look set to match their working age equivalents

https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/1595451179139473409
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,604
    Foxy said:

I think Brazil are too short, they haven't performed well in a WC for a long time.

Spain and France should be favourites, England and Belgium outsiders but plausible. Netherlands and Portugal as long-shots.

You have certainly changed your tune.

You were tipping Iran to hold England on Sunday.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

I hope some have taken their blood pressure meds (if they need them)

If I remember my history correctly, many nineteenth century theorists believed that democracy could never endure, because the great mass of poorer voters would eventually twig that they could vote to help themselves to all the wealth of the rich and powerful, who wouldn't stand for it.

Turns out they'd identified the wrong social divide, but hit on the right general idea. Britain is going to fail because the old will keep enriching themselves off the backs of the young until the economy collapses, because the young have all run away or have absolutely nothing left to give.

The message from statistics like this is clear: if you're a young person, or at any rate a well-educated young person with marketable skills, and you want to get on in life, you should emigrate.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056

Foxy said:

I think Brazil are too short, they haven't performed well in a WC for a long time.

Spain and France should be favourites, England and Belgium outsiders but plausible. Netherlands and Portugal as long-shots.

You have certainly changed your tune.

You were tipping Iran to hold England on Sunday.
    I was surprised they didn't play better having seen their form and ours.

I tipped France or Spain before the tournament on here though.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

@elonmusk
    It has been really bad. Far left San Francisco/Berkeley views have been propagated to the world via Twitter.

Twitter is moving rapidly to establish an even playing field. No more thumb on the scale!

PB borefest classics:

• Musk
    • Borisweight
    • Trans

Indeed .

A particular poster hijacks the conversation several times a day with transgender re-Tweets. I have conflicted views on the issue. It seems very complicated and not the simple universal condemnation narrative that poster prefers. Under the circumstances I am finding it best to keep away from the site.

Other dreary borefests to be avoided are AI and photographs of exotic location lunches, as well of course as my own PMQs scorecard.

Surely you appreciate the comedy value in Johnson's weight being due to excessive muscle mass, as accorded by one poster, rather than an over indulgent bon viveur lifestyle.

On topic. Japan?
    The worst borefests are those who try repeatedly to shut down posters whose views frighten them - mainly because they are topics they think the left is vulnerable on. They are very trans (sic) parent!
  • Looks like House counting is almost over. Every district now has a projected winner and are at least 88% counted, except CA13 which is 96% counted but with the Republican candidate just 593 votes ahead.

He'll probably do it. So the final 2022 House result will be 222:213 to the Republicans.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2022/results/house?election-data-id=2022-HG&election-painting-mode=projection&filter-key-races=false&filter-flipped=false
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

As a moderately comfortably off pensioner I can say that the feeling of liberation you get from a guaranteed monthly payment is orgasmically satisfying. As a spender I use mine to provide jobs for shop assistants, Amazon, etc, etc at least as often and it gives more repeated buzzes! :smiley:
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    pigeon said:

The message from statistics like this is clear: if you're a young person, or at any rate a well-educated young person with marketable skills, and you want to get on in life, you should emigrate.
    Unless you plan to emigrate to Sub-Saharan Africa you won't be landing in a place without the same demographic issues of a shrinking workforce supporting a greater number of elderly.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

@elonmusk

PB borefest classics:

• Musk
    • Borisweight
    • Trans

Disappointed not to make the top 3 with SKS please explain!!

I am off to bed 👎
    You have become a valued tradition, not a bore.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

This will be our third WC meeting with the USA.
    We've one goal and one point so far.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Yup. Our record against them is poor. The Americans see us as a major rival and consider the fixture effectively a derby match: they’ll be up for it.
    They don't see us as a major "rival". Rival implies consistent equality. They see us as a tier 1 nation highly likely to defeat them, as a Tier 2 nation, especially after the last games played by both in this tourney

This is reflected in the FIFA rankings - 5 (England) versus 18 (USA)

If the USA get a draw they will consider that a big result. For Southgate it will be a considerable disappointment

Does the USA have a rival and a derby game? Perhaps Mexico? I dunno. Don't follow their football

For England it is probably Holland, Germany or France (tho the French have beaten us of late more than vice versa)

"Tier 1" is pushing it for a team that will start the next UEFA Nations League campaign outside of the top Group A of 16 teams, following their relegation to Group B this year. Let's hope that the turnaround of form on Monday lasts and marks an end to the run of bad results against decent European teams that got them there.

I think @Leon is forgetting just how awful England was in the Nations League this year.

In the first five games, they scored only one goal, while conceding seven. In the end, England managed zero wins from six games.

I'm not convinced drubbing Iran is a sign that

England is now a genuine World Cup contender,

and would happily sell them on Betfair.

England WERE

England ARE

Not England was

Not England is

Aaaaaargh. @NickPalmer was at this earlier.

This is wrong, and shows a misunderstanding of British English, in which the usage depends on context. For a unified sporting team the singular usage is perfectly acceptable in British English.
    This is an interesting thread.
    Can out tech nerds tell us if it’s just hype, or not ?

I don't think people understand the monumental changes coming to software this decade. Quick thread:
    https://twitter.com/amasad/status/1595557790063304704
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,767
    Nigelb said:

I don't think people understand the monumental changes coming to software this decade. Quick thread:

As an amateur programmer, I can tell you that GitHub Copilot is amazing

Looks like House counting is almost over. Every district now has a projected winner and are at least 88% counted, except CA13 which is 96% counted but with the Republican candidate just 593 votes ahead.

He'll probably do it. So the final 2022 House result will be 222:213 to the Republicans.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2022/results/house?election-data-id=2022-HG&election-painting-mode=projection&filter-key-races=false&filter-flipped=false

I think that's exactly right. It's 90% 222-213, 10% 221-214.
  • rcs1000 said:

Looks like House counting is almost over. Every district now has a projected winner and are at least 88% counted, except CA13 which is 96% counted but with the Republican candidate just 593 votes ahead.

Just trying to find the email address to chivvy (bully?) Betfair so they pay out.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

rcs1000 said:

Just trying to find the email address to chivvy (bully?) Betfair so they pay out.
    I would imagine your best bet is notbleedinglikely@betfair.com

Nigelb said:

Well, it *might* be true. However, that guy is the CEO of a company (replit) doing that work, so it might just be usual fundraising hype.

As someone who used to be a developer, there are many things I could say about this. For one: he claims that software has got much easier to write and create. It has. Yet the number of software engineers / computer programmers employed has also grown over time.

An anecdote: when I first started working with chip designers 25-30 years ago, they had the most powerful computers and biggest servers, as the simulations they had to run were massively resource hungry. Today, chip designers *still* need the fastest servers, as both the simulation software, and the chips themselves, have increased in complexity in line with Moore's Law.

In addition: 'software' is a massive area. For many people, it means writing some JS code to be displayed on a web page. For others, it may be writing a device driver. Or an Operating System. A friend of ours is in charge of a team writing a compiler. These tasks are all 'software', but are very different in terms of what is required.
    pigeon said:

If I remember my history correctly, many nineteenth century theorists believed that democracy could never endure, because the great mass of poorer voters would eventually twig that they could vote to help themselves to all the wealth of the rich and powerful, who wouldn't stand for it.

Turns out they'd identified the wrong social divide, but hit on the right general idea. Britain is going to fail because the old will keep enriching themselves off the backs of the young until the economy collapses, because the young have all run away or have absolutely nothing left to give.

A consequence magnified by our voting system’s ability to gift one party majority power based on minority support…

Nigelb said:

Well, it *might* be true. However, that guy is the CEO of a company (replit) doing that work, so it might just be usual fundraising hype.

As someone who used to be a developer, there are many things I could say about this. For one: he claims that software has got much easier to write and create. It has. Yet the number of software engineers / computer programmers employed has also grown over time.

An anecdote: when I first started working with chip designers 25-30 years ago, they had the most powerful computers and biggest servers, as the simulations they had to run were massively resource hungry. Today, chip designers *still* need the fastest servers, as both the simulation software, and the chips themselves, have increased in complexity in line with Moore's Law.

In addition: 'software' is a massive area. For many people, it means writing some JS code to be displayed on a web page. For others, it may be writing a device driver. Or an Operating System. A friend of ours is in charge of a team writing a compiler. These tasks are all 'software', but are very different in terms of what is required.
    he claims that software has got much easier to write and create. It has. Yet the number of software engineers / computer programmers employed has also grown over time.

Price-elasticity of demand is greater than 2
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Just seen Jacqui Smith on BBC. She’s turned into Ann Widdecomb.
    One year and one week ago Mary Dejevsky published this article:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/11/16/the-myth-of-russian-aggression/

'Why would anyone, least of all Russia, plan a military offensive in the heart of Europe at the start of winter? And why would it jeopardise approval for its Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline – which would surely be forfeit in the event of any Russian move against Ukraine? It does not make sense.'

Which is perfectly fair and logical. Just founded on the false premise that Putin has any sense.
    edited November 2022

How on earth has she improved that much?

Or were you referring to her BMI?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

he claims that software has got much easier to write and create. It has. Yet the number of software engineers / computer programmers employed has also grown over time.

Equally the emergent complexity of the systems in which any given piece of code exists; and the value demand from those systems; have grown at a rate which far outstrips the rate at which it has been made "simpler".

Plus people are little better at defining what is really desirable, and really possible (within constraints), than they ever were (despite numerous tools to help).

And despite "the mythical man month" being as true as ever, businesses try to solve the problem by hiring.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    kle4 said:

I often feel like I could use a siesta (apparently some theorise this may be something called Postprandial somnolence, which is too good a name to not be real).

The Germans call it a soup coma, which is even better.
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Yup. Our record against them is poor. The Americans see us as a major rival and consider the fixture effectively a derby match: they’ll be up for it.
    They don't see us as a major "rival". Rival implies consistent equality. They see us as a tier 1 nation highly likely to defeat them, as a Tier 2 nation, especially after the last games played by both in this tourney

If the USA get a draw they will consider that a big result. For Southgate it will be a considerable disappointment

Does the USA have a rival and a derby game? Perhaps Mexico? I dunno. Don't follow their football

For England it is probably Holland, Germany or France (tho the French have beaten us of late more than vice versa)

"Tier 1" is pushing it for a team that will start the next UEFA Nations League campaign outside of the top Group A of 16 teams, following their relegation to Group B this year. Let's hope that the turnaround of form on Monday lasts and marks an end to the run of bad results against decent European teams that got them there.

I think @Leon is forgetting just how awful England was in the Nations League this year.

In the first five games, they scored only one goal, while conceding seven. In the end, England managed zero wins from six games.

England WERE

England ARE

Not England was

Not England is

This is wrong, and shows a misunderstanding of British English, in which the usage depends on context. For a unified sporting team the singular usage is perfectly acceptable in British English.
    While both are perfectly acceptable, custumory use is were/are. It just is. Listen to any commentary on the TV or radio, or fans in the pub. To most saying ‘England was’ is very jarring.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,237
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

We’re all doomed

“Extremely close to the 'Those aren't mountains, they're waves' moment in ML/AI. Weeks until GPT4. 1 year max before devs are obsolete. You think it can only happen to digital artists?”

https://twitter.com/ashemah/status/1595645420684087298?s=46&t=PR1h-v8kBmXwSDoq8VFH5g

• I hope some have taken their blood pressure meds (if they need them)

Part of what that is missing is that on top of that, a £ for a pensioner is worth more than a £ for a worker.

Why? Time and flexibility. Holidays and travel outside school holidays is often under half the price. Price comparison again takes time but can reduce bills and shopping costs by 20-30% for most. And that is before we get into the differences with housing tenure and costs.
    All

“GPT-4 is much more powerful than GPT-3. Tell your kids they should not move into anything with Text - they will lose. Lawyers, Notaries, and writers of any kind from marketing to books will be worthless. #GPT4”

https://twitter.com/sometimesfrunny/status/1595674979848290306?s=46&t=PR1h-v8kBmXwSDoq8VFH5g
    Leon said:

All

“GPT-4 is much more powerful than GPT-3. Tell your kids they should not move into anything with Text - they will lose. Lawyers, Notaries, and writers of any kind from marketing to books will be worthless. #GPT4”

https://twitter.com/sometimesfrunny/status/1595674979848290306?s=46&t=PR1h-v8kBmXwSDoq8VFH5g

All-nighter, was it?
  • IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

England WERE

England ARE

Not England was

Not England is

While both are perfectly acceptable, custumory use is were/are. It just is. Listen to any commentary on the TV or radio, or fans in the pub. To most saying ‘England was’ is very jarring.
    If everyone consistently used identical language we would be stuck with the same language and dialects of a few thousand years ago. They don't, and that is part of why languages get rich and more valuable.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

All

All-nighter, was it?
    lol.

No, but lol
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    edited November 2022
    Compare and contrast

If everyone consistently used identical language we would be stuck with the same language and dialects of a few thousand years ago. They don't, and that is part of why languages get rich and more valuable.

Language evolves through use and absorbs the infinite creativity of its users.
    Leon said:

No human will ever create language again.

Take your pick...

Part of what that is missing is that on top of that, a £ for a pensioner is worth more than a £ for a worker.

Why? Time and flexibility. Holidays and travel outside school holidays is often under half the price. Price comparison again takes time but can reduce bills and shopping costs by 20-30% for most. And that is before we get into the differences with housing tenure and costs.
    Or the ability to spend from accumulated wealth
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022
    UK experts helped shut down Covid lab leak theory - weeks after being told it might be true

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/23/uk-experts-helped-shut-covid-lab-leak-theory-weeks-told-might/

What seems to always get missed in the is it / isn't it true is this...

In one email exchange, Sir Jeremy even warned that research in Wuhan was like the "Wild West".

It seems experts knew that the place was dangerously and incompetently run and undertaking dangerous experimentation.
  • Paging Leon....

We are excited to announce the release of Stable Diffusion Version 2!

https://twitter.com/StabilityAI/status/1595590319566819328
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703

She has a regular spot on GMB too every Thursday and Friday at 6.30
  • ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

.@JennaEllisEsq on the Club Q shooting. The “people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”

Jenna Ellis Esq looks female and sounds female, but signs his/her name with Esq. So he is male... Certainly very confused and probably heading for eternal damnation, I would think.
    Wrong, US male and female attorneys get esq appended to their names
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

rcs1000 said:

I've kept half an eye on this from the election day.

The lead + win count has barely moved more than Rep = 221+/-1 since there were 100 uncalled counts. Only a small number of leads have traded during the counts: CO, AZ and CA mainly with CA-13 going Rep -> Dem and back again.

Conclusion must be that, at current, and in contrast to statewide elections, there is no major systematic difference between when a
    Republican vote is counted and when a Democratic vote is counted for Congressional districts, and by the first day of the count the lead + win is going to be pretty close to the actual result.

There were two trains of thought expressed here for betting on this. @Casino_Royale has done well out of betting on aggregate steadiness based on the small number of lead changes, those who held back saying you needed to know exactly what precincts were undercounted in each outstanding race, thinking of State races where that clearly is a factor, maybe needn't have been so cautious.

Which is not to say that will always remain true for District counts.

Nigelb said:

Understood.
    But the growth in software productivity has had massive real world consequences, so you're not just running to stand still.
    What he's claiming is another, large step change.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,613
    pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Someone told me that actually using it like that is a bit like insisting on putting Dr. On everything when you have a PhD. Is that right?
  • pigeon said:

I'm not at all sure that graph shows what you think it does. In particular, it shows that, regardless of age, everyone is doing better (as you'd hope and expect) but that the rich are pulling away from the poor, and not that the old are pulling away from the young.
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Understood.
    But the growth in software productivity has had massive real world consequences, so you're not just running to stand still.
    Yes, but it is a 'claim', and from the CEO of a company that has a lot of skin in the game.

It's about time we started to be more cynical about the claims of tech and finance companies wanting funding; there have been enough snake-oil salesmen and massive losses.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

That's quite a political journey.
  • pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Someone told me that actually using it like that is a bit like insisting on putting Dr. On everything when you have a PhD. Is that right?
    Probably, yes. UK wise you didn't put it on self addressed envelopes for instance.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Understood.
    Yes, but it is a 'claim', and from the CEO of a company that has a lot of skin in the game.

It's about time we started to be more cynical about the claims of tech and finance companies wanting funding; there have been enough snake-oil salesmen and massive losses.
    Also understood - which is why I asked the question originally.

Looking at his bio, he does appear to be more about the coding than the money.
    ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

What's wrong with that? If you have a PhD you are a doctor.
    In a non-academic context, insisting on Dr. will get you laughed at.
    pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

My bank has only recently dropped "Esq" off the end of my name on my bank cards.

Must have been a shock for them to discover the Queen was dead.

Victoria, that is.

(And no, it wasn't Coutts, smart arses. RBS, just to show how much I love Scotland, I stick with one of their quaint brands...)

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

No one laughs at @ydoethur .

Well, the occasional pun.
  • ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

And asked to conduct an emergency caesarean on a long haul flight, and serve you right.
    The new normal in Kyiv.

Good morning. Day 2 of the most recent Kyiv blackout. Day 274 of the war. There is no electricity, no heating, no water. Outside temperature is around freezing. The apartment is still warm from the previous days. We will see how long it lasts. We have blankets, sleeping bags..
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1595661954798026752
    edited November 2022

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Really? Given I attach mine to literally every post, do you laugh at me?*

The irony of course is if you have a PhD you are a doctor, whereas most 'doctors' are not in fact doctors, they are MBs who are given the courtesy title of 'doctor' in recognition of the length, complexity and rigour of their degree.

So really, it should actually be the other way around.

*My username is in fact both a title and a pun, which people will be astonished to learn given my naturally serious demeanour and abhorrence of light wordplay.
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

No one laughs at @ydoethur .

Well, the occasional pun.
    Only the occasional pun?

You lot don't deserve me! :smile:
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Ministers preparing to launch £25m ‘full scale’ public information campaign urging people to cut energy use

Campaign includes 8 pieces of advice coming at little or no cost to people while not sacrificing comfort, saving up to £420 a year https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1595545208141537280

Is this the campaign Truss was determined to stop as it was part of the nanny state?

I presume she would have thought likewise about the Thatcher government's Aids awareness campaign.
    Only the tthickest of morons would need the government to tell them things a two year old would know.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138
    edited November 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

The irony of course is if you have a PhD you are a doctor, whereas most 'doctors' are not in fact doctors, they are MBs who are given the courtesy title of 'doctor' in recognition of the length, complexity and rigour of their degree.

*My username is in fact both a title and a pun, which people will be astonished to learn given my naturally serious demeanour and abhorrence of light wordplay.
    Reminds me of a friend who went into medicine. I used to rib him he wasn't a real doctor, unlike thee and me. Till he finally got his MD quite a while later. But by that time he was a surgical consultant and being called Mister.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Ministers preparing to launch £25m ‘full scale’ public information campaign urging people to cut energy use

Campaign includes 8 pieces of advice coming at little or no cost to people while not sacrificing comfort, saving up to £420 a year https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1595545208141537280

Is this the campaign Truss was determined to stop as it was part of the nanny state?

I presume she would have thought likewise about the Thatcher government's Aids awareness campaign.
    Only the tthickest of morons would need the government to tell them things a two year old would know.
    There are some pretty thick people out there Malc who can't think for themselves.

Like the Scottish government, who needed the Supreme Court to tell them what the Scotland Act says in plain English.
    edited November 2022

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Mrs. Rata will tend to "bring out the Dr" where it makes a difference to poor service. She deals with a particularly shonky Indian IT helpdesk, used to domestic support, and has to wheel it out semi-regularly. The second most common trigger is being patronised by medical staff.

I'm a bit more chilled, but can't honestly say I've never wheeled it out.
    Per the Ukrainian SES, overnight, Russian rocket fire hit a maternity ward in Vil'nyans'k, Zaporizhia Oblast, destroying it.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1595297412058423298

Without air defence, Ukraine will get the full Syria treatment.

If Putin is allowed to succeed, the future consequences for Europe will be dismal.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Reminds me of a friend who went into medicine. I used to rib him he wasn't a real doctor, unlike thee and me. Till he finally got his MD quite a while later. But by that time he was a surgical consultant and being called Mister.
    In the 1980s there was a campaign to have vets called by the courtesy title of Dr as well, given the BVM/BVSc is just as tough as the MB.

My father brought it to an abrupt halt by pointing out that surgeons and consultants did not use the title. Therefore, vets were going to an enormous amount of trouble to be rated alongside the more junior medics...
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

But judging by Google translate there's the meddyg vs doethur distinction. What's the title of a medical doctor?

Presumably meddyg athroniaeth which they offer for PhD is a cock up?
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

On the basis of your regular comments, that's at least half the population, malcolm.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Nigelb said:

Per the Ukrainian SES, overnight, Russian rocket fire hit a maternity ward in Vil'nyans'k, Zaporizhia Oblast, destroying it.

If Putin is allowed to succeed, the future consequences for Europe will be dismal.

Ukraine has an air force and plenty of surface to air missiles. In Syria was IS not another sovereign state
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Mrs. Rata will tend to "bring out the Dr" where it makes a difference to poor service. She deals with a particularly shonky Indian IT helpdesk, used to domestic support, and has to wheel it out semi-regularly. The second most common trigger is being patronised by medical staff.

Any bookseller will tell you that an author who includes their academic quals on the front cover is almost certainly a quack or grifter. Books written by 'Dr such-and-such*' will generally be in the Mind, Body, Spirit or Self-Help section; actual academics or medics will just use their name.

*the qual itself often being well dodge - see 'Doctor' Gillian McKieth, for example.
    pigeon said:

More whining from lazy greedy young people who rather than get out and do a day's work blame their lazy uselessness on pensioners getting £9K a year after paying for it for 50 years.

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I think this is an old prejudice. I studied for 3 years for my bachelors degree, then 3 years of research and 6 months of writing for my PhD. How long does a 'proper' doctor study to earn the title Dr? It is my official title. Would you laugh at a professor for have that as their title away from acdemia?
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

But judging by Google translate there's the meddyg vs doethur distinction. What's the title of a medical doctor?

Presumably meddyg athroniaeth which they offer for PhD is a cock up?
    I just called them 'Doctor' or 'Doethur' and nobody ever corrected me.

Yes, the latter is a cock up. It would actually mean 'treater of knowledge.' 'Doethur mewn Athroniaeth' is the correct form, although I've never seen it written 'DA' as a postnominal.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Ukraine has an air force and plenty of surface to air missiles. In Syria was IS not another sovereign state
    Of course.
    But Ukraine does not have "plenty" of surface to air missiles. They are stretched to their limits, and replacements are slow in coming.

And their airforce even more so.
    pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

And asked to conduct an emergency caesarean on a long haul flight, and serve you right.
    Ask a medic what to do with a serious chemical spill, and serve you right too.
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

On the basis of your regular comments, that's at least half the population, malcolm.
    Unfortunately correct NIgel , if not an underestimate on your part. UK has far far more idiots than your average country.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    malcolmg said:

pigeon said:

More whining from lazy greedy young people who rather than get out and do a day's work blame their lazy uselessness on pensioners getting £9K a year after paying for it for 50 years.
    If you're not careful we'll all fly off to Australia and you can kiss that 9k goodbye.
  • ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I think this is an old prejudice. I studied for 3 years for my bachelors degree, then 3 years of research and 6 months of writing for my PhD. How long does a 'proper' doctor study to earn the title Dr? It is my official title. Would you laugh at a professor for have that as their title away from acdemia?
    German medical doctors should describe themselves as Master of Arzt.
    Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

It is the cringing equivalent of "do you know who I am".

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

@Foxy would know more but I would have thought it would be 9 years - 6 years for the MB and three years for a doctorate.

Personally I think it would be more appropriate if the MB was a doctorate, as in America, as 6 years of a bloody hard degree should be enough. But at the moment, it isn't.

Equally, I can't understand why there is prickliness about allowing people who have doctorates to be called by their rightful title.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

There are some pretty thick people out there Malc who can't think for themselves.

Like the Scottish government, who needed the Supreme Court to tell them what the Scotland Act says in plain English.
    I could have told them we are a colony for nothing and saved them time and money.

Boris Returning?

"Mr Johnson also rejected suggestions he could return as prime minister, saying the chances were “impossibilia cubed or squared”.
    He said: “I’ve always said for about 20 years that my chances of becoming PM were about as good as my chances of becoming decapitated by a frisbee, or blinded by a champagne cork or locked in a disused fridge…
    “I then did become PM so my chances of becoming PM again I think are those impossibilia cubed or squared.”

My money's on the fridge.

So we can chill?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,256
    edited November 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think I've ever corrected anyone calling me 'Mr'.

I have however noticed on support calls that as they bring up the details and see Dr they sometimes emphasise that when next addressing me and the tone changes. It's also been useful in medical settings, where the MD will pause, ask whether I'm a medical doctor and, discovering that I'm not, but an epidemiologist, it does change the conversation to one where I'm treated a bit more equally (also helps that I both know and can pronounce a lot of the medical terms - that alone tends to get a MD's attention if they realise you might actually understand what they are talking about).

Oddly, my current passport has, under Official Observations, "The holder is Doctor [my name]" - I guess someone at the passport office cocked up and assumed I was a MD, otherwise it's hardly relevant. Still awaiting my first class upgrade, but it has again been picked up on at hotels where they ask to see passport etc. I was on a plane recently where a passenger collapsed and they did the "is there a doctor on board" thing. As I was coming back from a clinical conference, about a dozen people jumped up, so I didn't have to explain myself if they looked down the passenger list :wink:
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Of course.
    But Ukraine does not have "plenty" of surface to air missiles. They are stretched to their limits, and replacements are slow in coming.

There are two dimensions to it. Enough SAM coverage to prevent their GBAD system being overwhelmed on any particular day (seems like just enough, maybe, at the moment but who the fuck knows). And enough replenishment capacity to replace expended rounds and attrited launchers faster than the Russians and Iranians can manufacture Kalibrs and Geruns (probably not at the moment).

Realistically they need Patriot batteries and a lot of them but Biden is like, GTFO, LOL.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

I could have told them we are a colony for nothing and saved them time and money.
    They might have had to put that money to some useful purpose instead and we couldn't allow that now could we?

Not given the vast amounts of money we all have to spare.

Speaking of which, I suspect Scotland is leading in another way that will soon transfer to England and Wales:

Scottish schools shut as teachers strike over pay
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63734668

Away you halfwit , if whingers like you put the effort into getting gainful employment and improving your own position rather than spouting crap about some pensioners managing to have saved some money in 70-80 years you would not be so feckin jealous and would end up in similar position in 50 years. Come up and I will give you a shot in my Porsche and show you my wads of money , maybe encourage you to do some hard graft.
    malcolmg said:

Away you halfwit , if whingers like you put the effort into getting gainful employment and improving your own position rather than spouting crap about some pensioners managing to have saved some money in 70-80 years you would not be so feckin jealous and would end up in similar position in 50 years. Come up and I will give you a shot in my Porsche and show you my wads of money , maybe encourage you to do some hard graft.
    A Porsche? How many turnips does that hold?
    Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I have however noticed on support calls that as they bring up the details and see Dr they sometimes emphasise that when next addressing me and the tone changes. It's also been useful in medical settings, where the MD will pause, ask whether I'm a medical doctor and, discovering that I'm not, but an epidemiologist, it does change the conversation to one where I'm treated a bit more equally (also helps that I both know and can pronounce a lot of the medical terms - that alone tends to get a MD's attention if they realise you might actually understand what they are talking about).

Oddly, my current passport has, under Official Observations, "The holder is Doctor [my name]" - I guess someone at the passport office cocked up and assumed I was a MD, otherwise it's hardly relevant. Still awaiting my first class upgrade,
    Turkish Airlines used to upgrade NATO officers in uniform (no idea if they still do) so snag yourself a Bulgarian Air Force Polkovnik's rig of the day off eBay.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The saloon or the pickup or the fourgonnette variant?
    edited November 2022
    malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Yep, I'd feel like a right tosser correcting someone, I think, which I why I never have. Having a PhD shouldn't entitle me to better service/more respect*/whatever, just open the doors to some of the jobs that require that expertise (and prehaps close the doors to any jobs that require someone with enough common sense not to do a PhD :wink: )

(I did once correct someone who addressed me as 'Professor', felt ok to downgrade myself)

*in my research group I work with some non-PhDs in research who are just as capable, through experience outside academia, as those with the bit of paper
    Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Oddly, my current passport has, under Official Observations, "The holder is Doctor [my name]" - I guess someone at the passport office cocked up and assumed I was a MD, otherwise it's hardly relevant. Still awaiting my first class upgrade, but it has again been picked up on at hotels where they ask to see passport etc. I was on a plane recently where a passenger collapsed and they did the "is there a doctor on board" thing. As I was coming back from a clinical conference, about a dozen people jumped up, so I didn't have to explain myself if they looked down the passenger list :wink:
    I have found using my correct title useful in the medical world, not least when being treated for leukemia. As now, I teach medicinal chemistry to pharmacy students (now under the glorious Life Sciences badge), so I have the training and knowledge to read exactly the same papers that my medical team were (my leukemia was one of the rarer types - around 160 people per year in the UK).
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Of course.

There are two dimensions to it. Enough SAM coverage to prevent their GBAD system being overwhelmed on any particular day (seems like just enough, maybe, at the moment but who the fuck knows). And enough replenishment capacity to replace expended rounds and attrited launchers faster than the Russians and Iranians can manufacture Kalibrs and Geruns (probably not at the moment).

Realistically they need Patriot batteries and a lot of them but Biden is like, GTFO, LOL.
    Patriot would be ludicrous overkill for most of the stuff that is being thrown an Ukraine.

They need lots of lighter SAMs
    Rather alarmist header from the Beeb:

"Scotland's future remains in the balance"

Asteroid strike - or movement in the upwelling magma?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63738280
    Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

A dozen? No wonder the NHS is on its knees - all its clinicians are on jollies!
    Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Oddly, my current passport has, under Official Observations, "The holder is Doctor [my name]" - I guess someone at the passport office cocked up and assumed I was a MD, otherwise it's hardly relevant. Still awaiting my first class upgrade,
    Turkish Airlines used to upgrade NATO officers in uniform (no idea if they still do) so snag yourself a Bulgarian Air Force Polkovnik's rig of the day off eBay.
    Bit awkward when they do the whole "is there a pilot on board" thing? Still, I guess at that point you're fucked anyway, so what's a little awkwardness? :smile:
  • Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Obviously the oap should be bigger allowing Malc to purchase the likes of this gilded monstrosity I spotted yesterday on Great Western Rd. I'm sure it's a fantastic car in many ways, but I assume a professional footballer was involved to elevate it to such a level of vulgarity.

• Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I don't use mine normally, but I do occasionally put it down if I'm asked to specify a title. If people get to call themselves Lord just because they bunged the government of the day some cash or because some distant ancestor was a medieval warlord then I don't see why I shouldn't occasionally wheel out an honorific that I spent four years earning.
  • Selebian said:

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Bit awkward when they do the whole "is there a pilot on board" thing? Still, I guess at that point you're fucked anyway, so what's a little awkwardness? :smile:
    It's the bomb disposal one that really gives you the fear.

Selebian said:

Dura_Ace said:

Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

It's the bomb disposal one that really gives you the fear.
    I won't ask how you know that...
    malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Yes. it absolutely can be directly equivalent to that, and I've known people who do lord it in that way, so should be done sparingly and subtly.

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Obviously the oap should be bigger allowing Malc to purchase the likes of this gilded monstrosity I spotted yesterday on Great Western Rd. I'm sure it's a fantastic car in many ways, but I assume a professional footballer was involved to elevate it to such a level of vulgarity.

570S Spider. Good front end, good power-train, interior like a base model Transit and sub Lada build quality.

Very fast before it inevitably overheats though.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Agreed. I never use mine.

If asked to give a title, then of course I give

Air Chief Marshall, the Very Reverend, Professor, Sir Y Bardd Cwsc
This discussion has been closed.