Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The World Cup betting tracker – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,890
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Member of Trump's legal team.

.@JennaEllisEsq on the Club Q shooting. The “people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewkimmel/status/1595492438033936385

Jenna Ellis Esq looks female and sounds female, but signs his/her name with Esq. So he is male... Certainly very confused and probably heading for eternal damnation, I would think.
    Wrong, US male and female attorneys get esq appended to their names
    Someone told me that actually using it like that is a bit like insisting on putting Dr. On everything when you have a PhD. Is that right?
    What's wrong with that? If you have a PhD you are a doctor.
    In a non-academic context, insisting on Dr. will get you laughed at.
    I think this is an old prejudice. I studied for 3 years for my bachelors degree, then 3 years of research and 6 months of writing for my PhD. How long does a 'proper' doctor study to earn the title Dr? It is my official title. Would you laugh at a professor for have that as their title away from acdemia?
    German medical doctors should describe themselves as Master of Arzt.
    After I completed my PhD I moved to Germany to work, and I found that people there tend to use their titles more than here. I got the impression that your academic title actually becomes part of your name rather than being an optional add-on. It probably helps that the German word for a medical doctor (Arzt) is different from the academic degree (Doktor) so no risk of being summoned to help on a plane. Having said that, I avoided using my title outside of a professional context in Germany, and I haven't used it at all since returning to the UK. I'd feel a bit of a dick doing so, especially since I no longer work in the field of my PhD.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

.@JennaEllisEsq on the Club Q shooting. The “people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”

Jenna Ellis Esq looks female and sounds female, but signs his/her name with Esq. So he is male... Certainly very confused and probably heading for eternal damnation, I would think.
    Someone told me that actually using it like that is a bit like insisting on putting Dr. On everything when you have a PhD. Is that right?
    Mrs. Rata will tend to "bring out the Dr" where it makes a difference to poor service. She deals with a particularly shonky Indian IT helpdesk, used to domestic support, and has to wheel it out semi-regularly. The second most common trigger is being patronised by medical staff.

I'm a bit more chilled, but can't honestly say I've never wheeled it out.
    It is the cringing equivalent of "do you know who I am".
    Also, it is bad for sex.

No-one wants to have sex with a prissy academic calling him self Dr.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380

Selebian said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Mrs. Rata will tend to "bring out the Dr" where it makes a difference to poor service. She deals with a particularly shonky Indian IT helpdesk, used to domestic support, and has to wheel it out semi-regularly. The second most common trigger is being patronised by medical staff.

I don't think I've ever corrected anyone calling me 'Mr'.

I have however noticed on support calls that as they bring up the details and see Dr they sometimes emphasise that when next addressing me and the tone changes. It's also been useful in medical settings, where the MD will pause, ask whether I'm a medical doctor and, discovering that I'm not, but an epidemiologist, it does change the conversation to one where I'm treated a bit more equally (also helps that I both know and can pronounce a lot of the medical terms - that alone tends to get a MD's attention if they realise you might actually understand what they are talking about).

Oddly, my current passport has, under Official Observations, "The holder is Doctor [my name]" - I guess someone at the passport office cocked up and assumed I was a MD, otherwise it's hardly relevant. Still awaiting my first class upgrade, but it has again been picked up on at hotels where they ask to see passport etc. I was on a plane recently where a passenger collapsed and they did the "is there a doctor on board" thing. As I was coming back from a clinical conference, about a dozen people jumped up, so I didn't have to explain myself if they looked down the passenger list :wink:
    A dozen? No wonder the NHS is on its knees - all its clinicians are on jollies!
    Jollies? No, sir, I think there must be some mistake. Barcelona in the autumn with a sea-front venue can hardly be described as a jolly! What's the term, "arduous foreign travel"? :wink:

(Having said that, it was one of the more intense conferences I've been to, for work - over a weekend and something like a ten hour programme each day)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I hope some have taken their blood pressure meds (if they need them)

Pensioners' relative economic progress is huge:
    - poorer pensioners overtook poorer working age households at centurys start
    - typical pensioners then matched typical working age households a decade back
    - now even rich pensioners look set to match their working age equivalents

https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/1595451179139473409

Part of what that is missing is that on top of that, a £ for a pensioner is worth more than a £ for a worker.

Why? Time and flexibility. Holidays and travel outside school holidays is often under half the price. Price comparison again takes time but can reduce bills and shopping costs by 20-30% for most. And that is before we get into the differences with housing tenure and costs.
    Away you halfwit , if whingers like you put the effort into getting gainful employment and improving your own position rather than spouting crap about some pensioners managing to have saved some money in 70-80 years you would not be so feckin jealous and would end up in similar position in 50 years. Come up and I will give you a shot in my Porsche and show you my wads of money , maybe encourage you to do some hard graft.
    A Porsche? How many turnips does that hold?
    The saloon or the pickup or the fourgonnette variant?
    Obviously the oap should be bigger allowing Malc to purchase the likes of this gilded monstrosity I spotted yesterday on Great Western Rd. I'm sure it's a fantastic car in many ways, but I assume a professional footballer was involved to elevate it to such a level of vulgarity.

I actually quite like that. It's absolutely not my thing, but these supercars and hypercars are there to exert a presence (if not on the track). it's their purpose.

Having said that, my 'dream' car would be a McLaren F1, in black. I'd never drive the thing, though.

Actually, I probably have three 'dream' cars:
    McLaren F1.
    DeLorean
    Old-style Land Rover 110.

All of which are impractical in their own ways. And I did actually own one of the latter in the past. It nearly killed me three times...
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I see the BBC is now using the absurd nonsense of CE:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63636641

It takes a special kind of idiocy to remove Christ from the Christian calendar.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    Selebian said:

pillsbury said:

Good grief, is there a non-doctor on board?

On the internet, everyone can be a PhD :wink:
    I am not a Doctor, of philosophy or otherwise. But it suddenly occurs to me, I am a Master. Which is potentially even more fun.
  • Options
    Mr. Cookie, but do you shrink people into tiny dolls or have them devoured by carnivorous furniture?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I think this is an old prejudice. I studied for 3 years for my bachelors degree, then 3 years of research and 6 months of writing for my PhD. How long does a 'proper' doctor study to earn the title Dr? It is my official title. Would you laugh at a professor for have that as their title away from acdemia?
    @Foxy would know more but I would have thought it would be 9 years - 6 years for the MB and three years for a doctorate.

Personally I think it would be more appropriate if the MB was a doctorate, as in America, as 6 years of a bloody hard degree should be enough. But at the moment, it isn't.

Equally, I can't understand why there is prickliness about allowing people who have doctorates to be called by their rightful title.
    It's the 'experts' thing again.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Yes. it absolutely can be directly equivalent to that, and I've known people who do lord it in that way, so should be done sparingly and subtly.
    All my siblings have a PhD except me. I'm the special one.
    I've got a 25 yard doggy paddle certificate. Does that count?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Part of what that is missing is that on top of that, a £ for a pensioner is worth more than a £ for a worker.

Why? Time and flexibility. Holidays and travel outside school holidays is often under half the price. Price comparison again takes time but can reduce bills and shopping costs by 20-30% for most. And that is before we get into the differences with housing tenure and costs.
    Away you halfwit , if whingers like you put the effort into getting gainful employment and improving your own position rather than spouting crap about some pensioners managing to have saved some money in 70-80 years you would not be so feckin jealous and would end up in similar position in 50 years. Come up and I will give you a shot in my Porsche and show you my wads of money , maybe encourage you to do some hard graft.
    Obviously the oap should be bigger allowing Malc to purchase the likes of this gilded monstrosity I spotted yesterday on Great Western Rd. I'm sure it's a fantastic car in many ways, but I assume a professional footballer was involved to elevate it to such a level of vulgarity.

I actually quite like that. It's absolutely not my thing, but these supercars and hypercars are there to exert a presence (if not on the track). it's their purpose.

Having said that, my 'dream' car would be a McLaren F1, in black. I'd never drive the thing, though.

McLaren F1.
    DeLorean

All of which are impractical in their own ways. And I did actually own one of the latter in the past. It nearly killed me three times...
    That time travelling in an underpowered sports car can be a risky business.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

pillsbury said:

I am not a Doctor, of philosophy or otherwise. But it suddenly occurs to me, I am a Master. Which is potentially even more fun.
    Indeed. If you register at the dentist as Master Cookie then you might even get the 'I was brave sticker' :wink:

I lack even a batchelor's degree :disappointed:

(I've got one of those four year all-in-one undergraduate 'masters' thingies, right pain filling in job applications etc as it's never in the dropdown list for qualifications)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited November 2022
    kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Yes. it absolutely can be directly equivalent to that, and I've known people who do lord it in that way, so should be done sparingly and subtly.
    Applause !

IMO tangentially asserted Doctorates are better than MA(Oxon) type fake degrees, but not by much.

Both are right up there with Wham! and their on stage badminton shuttlecock down the trousers.

No - I don't have a Doctorate :smile: .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

You can buy Phd degree with just one click on the order button on our site and you will receive the degree in less than a week. You can forget about boring and exhausting coursework and annoying professors, you can buy Phd degree based on the skills, knowledge and work experience you already have and you can boost your career.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    BREAKING: Net migration rose to 504,000 in the year to June 2022. Far higher than pre-Brexit levels, with most coming from non-EU countries.

Will put further pressure on govt - and especially Home Secretary - to explain how this is ‘taking back control’ of UK borders.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1595712307996262400
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072

pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

After I completed my PhD I moved to Germany to work, and I found that people there tend to use their titles more than here. I got the impression that your academic title actually becomes part of your name rather than being an optional add-on. It probably helps that the German word for a medical doctor (Arzt) is different from the academic degree (Doktor) so no risk of being summoned to help on a plane. Having said that, I avoided using my title outside of a professional context in Germany, and I haven't used it at all since returning to the UK. I'd feel a bit of a dick doing so, especially since I no longer work in the field of my PhD.
    All titles are daft and unnecessary. I resent web forms that have it as a compulsory field.

If I ever became a hacker I'd create some code that would search out title columns in databases and delete them.
  • Options
    Morning all.

A couple of interesting titbits from yesterday's Ukraine Latest podcast from the Telegraph.

Reports of Russian missiles on Poland was a source-check process error at the News Agency. AP have sacked a staff member.
    https://youtu.be/0CfbqfNKuus?t=2790

MOD language approx "likelihood" scale, which I have not seen elesewhere - as used on the daily reports.:

Remote chance: <5%
    Highly unlikely: 10-20%
    Unlikely: 25-30%
    Realistic possibility: 40-50%
    Likely / Probably : 55-70%
    Highly likely: 75-90%
    Almost certain: >90%

https://youtu.be/0CfbqfNKuus?t=275

Comments on the BJ interview at a little more length than elsewhere:
    https://youtu.be/0CfbqfNKuus?t=1924
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Good morning, everyone.

I don't get mad at it, but it baffles me, since it's still defining the 'common era' by a Christian definition, so it's not really any more inclusive. I get it would a right hassle to pick a new dating system, but it feels like if we were renaming Good Friday as a bank holiday the Springtime bank holiday.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

McLaren F1.
    DeLorean

I am about as far as being an expert on cars as it is possible to get, but when I was much younger I saw a DeLorean in a museum somewhere (might have been Beaulieu). There's something about it that just looed so cool. Utterly impractical and stupid, but cool.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Bit harsh on Johannes Kepler.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Certainly more practically useful!
  • Options
    'Yer carnt even wear a hauberk and crusader's surcoat without bein' arrested nowadays!'

• Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

At least you have some idea what to do when thrown in at the deep end.
    Which is true only of some academics.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,000
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

pillsbury said:

Ditto. Pretty much useless, but I enjoyed it at the time.
  • Options

Mr. Cookie, but do you shrink people into tiny dolls or have them devoured by carnivorous furniture?

Only if they can't punctuate.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

McLaren F1.
    DeLorean

I am about as far as being an expert on cars as it is possible to get, but when I was much younger I saw a DeLorean in a museum somewhere (might have been Beaulieu). There's something about it that just looed so cool. Utterly impractical and stupid, but cool.
    It is a good looking car but disastrous performance, even for its perod. Might have been interesting to see how the whole thing would have turned out if it had 260bhp rather than 130.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Net migration rose to 504,000 in the year to June 2022. Far higher than pre-Brexit levels, with most coming from non-EU countries.

Will put further pressure on govt - and especially Home Secretary - to explain how this is ‘taking back control’ of UK borders.

The split of "skilled" & "family" migration would be useful.
  • Options

'Yer carnt even wear a hauberk and crusader's surcoat without bein' arrested nowadays!'

Meanwhile, Fifa are investigating Ecuadorean fans for homophobic chanting.
    Honestly, guys, make your minds up.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

You can buy Phd degree with just one click on the order button on our site and you will receive the degree in less than a week. You can forget about boring and exhausting coursework and annoying professors, you can buy Phd degree based on the skills, knowledge and work experience you already have and you can boost your career.
    Coursework? Real PhD is based on research. I published 15 papers during my PhD.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What Mr Brand omits:

Migration from non-EU countries, specifically students, is driving this rise. With the lifting of travel restrictions in 2021, more students arrived in the UK after studying remotely during the coronavirus pandemic. However, there has also been a large increase in the number of people migrating for a range of other reasons. This includes people arriving for humanitarian protections, such as those coming from Ukraine, as well as for family reasons."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/longterminternationalmigrationprovisional/yearendingjune2022
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

570S Spider. Good front end, good power-train, interior like a base model Transit and sub Lada build quality.

Very fast before it inevitably overheats though.
    Is sub lada better or worse than Friday Afternoon British Leyland special? One of which my parents owned before switching to Skoda.
  • Options
    Walker: This erection is about the people
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1595241072971481089
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Same experience here (in Switzerland). In the UK, I mention it in job applications and the like but it would feel weird to use it socially. But it does help get attention in the German-speaking world. Arguably it shows an ability to think systematically and weigh arguments - hard to say more than that. Certainly my PhD has never been used by anyone.
  • Options

My history is not perfect, but I thought the crusades were to the Holy Land, not the naked desert that became Saudi, and indeed Qatar.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

15!!!....did you ever sleep. I managed 3 and thought I had done reasonably well managing 1 a year....
  • Options

Really quite extraordinarily stupid costume choice by those England fans. Although arresting them seems a bit melodramatic. Why not just offer them a choice or replacement outfits - Argentina, Germany or Scotland shirts preferably.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

That's not really a "gotcha" given that a large part of the rise is due to Afghans, Ukrainians, and people from Hong Kong, that accounts for over 200,000 people across all the visa schemes. Another large part is students returning to the UK. The rest of the rise is pretty much down to post-covid lifting of restrictions allowing families to migrate. All of these are enabled by government policy, so this is literally the UK having control of migration but during exceptional circumstances. Migration from the EU is declining, and indeed the EU born population in the UK is going down now.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited November 2022

My history is not perfect, but I thought the crusades were to the Holy Land, not the naked desert that became Saudi, and indeed Qatar.
    They included quite large parts of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt and also Turkey, although most of Turkey at that time was, ironically, Christian.

They did also target Spain, Sicily, England, Norway and Cyprus as well though, so it's cultural appropriation to claim them just for the Arabs. (Admittedly Spain, Sicily and Cyprus were Arab colonies at the time.)
  • Options
    Spectator awards:

- Jeremy Hunt revealed Liz Truss painted over Boris Johnson's gold wallpaper

- Rishi Sunak joked that he had bond markets to thank after becoming PM

- Kemi Badenoch compared Boris Johnson to Thanos

- Robert Buckland said Matt Hancock was 'complete bellend'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1595713697753677826
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

15!!!....did you ever sleep. I managed 3 and thought I had done reasonably well managing 1 a year....
    Lucky to be in the right field (organometallic and inorganic chemistry) plus a lot of X-ray crystal structures before they were quite as routine as now and a supervisor who liked salami slicing papers out (for those who don't know, salami slicing is taking the work that makes one good, longish paper, and turning it into 2-3 shorter, and less good publications). Some good stuff in amongst them, and then three papers from a year in NZ too. Its a lot harder now (partly as my time is split to other tasks...)
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Certainly more practically useful!
    Not if you are crossing the Dnieper.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I'd quite fancy doing one now, funnily enough. Find a topic I'm interested in and take a leisurely 10 years or so producing something of genuine niche value. One or two things to sort first then I might look into that. Fund myself but not in a "vanity" way, just so as not to divert funds from the more deserving and important.
  • Options
    Since Sam Bankman-Fried launched the company FTX, its executives and its philanthropic arm spent or pledged hundreds of millions of dollars in political and charitable contributions, consulting fees, investments in media outlets and real estate.

https://twitter.com/dealbook/status/1595522085765644288?

This is one the biggest failures in US journalistic integrity of the 21st century

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595587621731766275?

Not sure I would go as far as Elon, but some of the reporting has been pretty shocking in its softball nature and failure to really investigate the story properly, giving the impression it was more simply a corporate failure due to mismanagement.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

McLaren F1.
    DeLorean

I'm not much of a driver (prefer pedal-power), but as far as I have a dream car, it'd be the Toyota 2000GT.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I'd quite fancy doing one now, funnily enough. Find a topic I'm interested in and take a leisurely 10 years or so producing something of genuine niche value. One or two things to sort first then I might look into that. Fund myself but not in a "vanity" way, just so as not to divert funds from the more deserving and important.
    Not many unis will let you do that anymore. They really aren't keen on people taking forever to finish them, because it looks bad on their stats. Full timer at least will start getting the hurry up after 3.5, demanding the student provides good reasons for any extension etc.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited November 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

The split of "skilled" & "family" migration would be useful.
    Those arriving on "other" visas accounted for the second-largest proportion of non-EU immigration (39%) at an estimated 276,000 in the YE June 2022, an increase from 91,000 in the YE June 2021.

This grouping includes people who immigrated into the UK under visas classified as family, protection, settlement, visit, other and those that did not fit into any of our designated classifications. Within these different visa classifications will be those arriving for humanitarian protection, such as those coming from Ukraine. Home Office estimates suggest that around 89,000 Ukraine Scheme visa-holders arrived in the UK up to the YE June 2022.

Work visas made up the remaining proportion contributing to non-EU immigration, accounting for 21% in the YE June 2022, with an estimated 151,000 arriving for work compared with 92,000 in the YE June 2021.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/longterminternationalmigrationprovisional/yearendingjune2022

So the increase in this category can almost entirely be accounted for by Ukrainian arrivals, And if work visas are also up 92,000 that would suggest family visas fell.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

570S Spider. Good front end, good power-train, interior like a base model Transit and sub Lada build quality.

Is sub lada better or worse than Friday Afternoon British Leyland special? One of which my parents owned before switching to Skoda.
    Not quite as bad as the products of the "Plughole of Despair" at their nadir but McLarens are generally a miserable ownership experience but brilliant driving experience.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Not many unis will let you do that anymore. They really aren't keen on people taking forever to finish them, because it looks bad on their stats.
    L think it has always been the case that you cannot submit without special permission after year 7, and are expected to do so by year 4.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They included quite large parts of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt and also Turkey, although most of Turkey at that time was, ironically, Christian.

They did also target Spain, Sicily, England, Norway and Cyprus as well though, so it's cultural appropriation to claim them just for the Arabs. (Admittedly Spain, Sicily and Cyprus were Arab colonies at the time.)
    The Jews in Europe didn't fare well either.

They gave Greece a battering too - on the subject of PhDs, my (quickly aborted) PhD work was on crusader architecture in the Principality of Achaea.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

Not many unis will let you do that anymore. They really aren't keen on people taking forever to finish them, because it looks bad on their stats.
    L think it has always been the case that you cannot submit without special permission after year 7, and are expected to do so by year 4.
    Although part time PhD's are still a thing. We have a fair few medics doing PhD research part time with the day job at the hospital.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I know when I did mine they were less on the hurry up, basically the threat was you will run out of funding then you have yourself a problem. At least when I now speak to academics about their PhD students, they talk about the graduate schools putting pressure on them to ensure their students aren't dragging their feet much beyond 4 years and they put in place things like requiring official applications with timetabling etc that go to a panel to get signed off for anymore time.
  • Options
    In real science news, the Ingenuity helicopter on Mars has just completed its 34th flight.

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/status/420/flight-34-was-short-but-significant/

Considering many thought it would not work, and it was only meant to make a few hops, the fact it is still flying nearly two years later is utter credit to the NASA teams who made and operate it.

Ingenuity is extremely limited; it has to remain within a certain distance of the Perseverance rover, and has limited charging and flight capabilities. Yet even these capabilities are proving useful in charting out where to send the rover, which is why they're still flying the thing.

It is an absolutely amazing achievement.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

No, it is genius because it preserves everything while removing what might be a point of contention.
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, explain the contention, if you would.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

All titles are
    daft and unnecessary. I resent web forms that have it as a compulsory field.

If I ever became a hacker I'd create some code

that would search out title columns in databases and delete them.
    This is provably nonsense.

Only a few days ago, there was an example where a title field would have distinguished two individuals with the same name.

Witness the chaos in a hotel which didn’t use titles - and therefore believed fellow guests Mr Brian Cox and Professor Brian Cox to be one and the same.
  • Options
    Other arrivals:
    Total 276,000 (+91,000)
    Ukraine: 89,000 (+89,000)
    Work: 151,000 (+92,000)
    Balance: 36,000 (-90,000)

Given there will be some Hong Kong BNO in there (and some not, some have been recorded as “British”, they’re working on it) this would suggest a substantial increase in “control” of the border.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I published some papers without doing a PhD, and I've been subsequently told that I could probably get either my undergraduate or masters degree universities to award me a PhD on the basis of that work.

Would that be a real PhD? It would be from a reputable university - well a choice of one established in the 13th or 19th centuries.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227

Good morning, everyone.

No, it is genius because it preserves everything while removing what might be a point of contention.
    Also less idiotic because christ was born before "BC".
  • Options

Like you don't know that the existence and deity of "the Lord" is not universally acknowledged. Changing the name very slightly allows everyone to see what they want. It is the Good Friday Agreement of dates. Look that way, it is anchored to Christ; look this way, it is not and any coincidence is entirely coincidental.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

It's funny, but I do think that sounds like bullshit. Getting triggered by medieval armour? There's been more modern depredations, but armour wielding knights was a bloody long time ago.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

All titles are
    daft and unnecessary. I resent web forms that have it as a compulsory field.

If I ever became a hacker I'd create some code

that would search out title columns in databases and delete them.
    This is provably nonsense.

Only a few days ago, there was an example where a title field would have distinguished two individuals with the same name.

Witness the chaos in a hotel which didn’t use titles - and therefore believed fellow guests Mr Brian Cox and Professor Brian Cox to be one and the same.
    Does it make a difference? They were both hopefully not Cox after all.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

The marketer must be thinking of the US (etc) pattern with some coursework in the first year - I assume effectively a MSc/MA (non Oxon) convertible to a PhD.
  • Options
    This thread has

been awarded a doctoral title that it shouldn't use, apparently

• Options
    Mr. JohnL, I'm an atheist. I don't have a problem with BC/AD any more than I do with Thursday being named after Thor.

That's contention that has to be actively sought by someone seeking to be offended.

The Christian calendar is what we use and removing the Christianity from it is equal measures of ridiculous and pathetic.
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing, I've finally found proof that @Leon really is an author...

Not sure I'd describe him as happy, more continuously stressed by twitter doom scrolling.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

I published some papers without doing a PhD, and I've been subsequently told that I could probably get either my undergraduate or masters degree universities to award me a PhD on the basis of that work.

Would that be a real PhD? It would be from a reputable university - well a choice of one established in the 13th or 19th centuries.
    Many Universities are now going for PhD submission via publications - 6 accepted papers = one thesis. There is usually a bit of tidying up too (adding overall introductions etc). I'm not fully in favour, as there are papers and there are papers. Some of my early ones were rather thin, some of my later ones represent a year of solid work.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

pillsbury said:

ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

The risk of taking too long to complete a PhD is that your supervisor retires, or moves institution, and then you've lost the support your need. My wife lost her main supervisor to retirement, after she had to take some time out for illness, and the second really didn't know the subject area or have much interest. She ended up abandoning the PhD before completion.
  • Options

Like you don't know that the existence and deity of "the Lord" is not universally acknowledged. Changing the name very slightly allows everyone to see what they want. It is the Good Friday Agreement of dates. Look that way, it is anchored to Christ; look this way, it is not and any coincidence is entirely coincidental.
    And also, as I pointed out upthread, should be long established enough (Kepler) to satisfy even the most reactionary.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Next time one of the Nordic countries play in England we'd better ban their Viking helmets! It is offensive considering the raping and pillaging of England over a thousand years ago.
  • Options
    I'm no doctrix, but I know that doctor is from Latin and means teacher (doceo means I teach)

Doethur is derived from the same root, but not via English. I believe doeth means wise (from doctus, meaning taught)

Teacher is from German, and shares its Proto-Indo-European root with the Latin word dico (I speak), which is also the root of dictator

To save the confusion in English, I vote we adopt forms of the Old English - from before the Frenchies brought in their doctours. Wise man/teacher doctor was a lareow (sharing roots with learning and lore). "Medical" doctor was a læce, which is the root for the word leech

We could call them loremen and leechmen.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Half a ton
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Be a struggle getting in and rolling out of it
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

SUV
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

pillsbury said:

I am a Batchelor (in both senses), a Master, and a Doctor.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Scott_xP said:

Can we have none?
  • Options

Since Sam Bankman-Fried launched the company FTX, its executives and its philanthropic arm spent or pledged hundreds of millions of dollars in political and charitable contributions, consulting fees, investments in media outlets and real estate.

https://twitter.com/dealbook/status/1595522085765644288?

This is one the biggest failures in US journalistic integrity of the 21st century

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595587621731766275?

Not sure I would go as far as Elon, but some of the reporting has been pretty shocking in its softball nature and failure to really investigate the story properly, giving the impression it was more simply a corporate failure due to mismanagement.

SBF was the second biggest contributor to the 2022 Democratic election campaign and there's a suggestion he used clients' funds to bankroll those donations as well as build up influence. Read into that what you will.
This discussion has been closed.