Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The World Cup betting tracker – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
imageThe World Cup betting tracker – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    First again.
    edited November 2022
    I remember being fascinated by the World Cup as a kid and watched bits and pieces of all the tournaments since. I have to say this is the first time I have not watched a single moment of it. And funnily enough it is the first time Wales have qualified in 64 years. Getting older? The time of year? Qatar?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Lay the favourite there.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited November 2022
    France, Spain, England are the only teams to have looked good.
    Their opponents weren't, mind.
    France probably best given who they played.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

I remember being fascinated by the World Cup as a kid and watched but and pieces of all the tournaments since. I have to say this is the first time I have not watched a single moment of it. And funnily enough it is the first time Wales have qualified in 64 years. Getting older? The time of year? Qatar?

It’s time of year. We’re creatures of habit. World cups are for summer bbq’s in our memories.

That said I’m already pretty well engaged in this one. First World Cup I’ve been in England for since 2010, definitely picked up an upswing in interest over the last 72hrs. If England beat USA momentum should continue
  • Have Germany been knocked out?
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    The World Cup has just been a bit … meh

I do, however, like the idea of pitch side air con. Quite clever
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Xmas world cups are definitely weird.
    moonshine said:

I remember being fascinated by the World Cup as a kid and watched but and pieces of all the tournaments since. I have to say this is the first time I have not watched a single moment of it. And funnily enough it is the first time Wales have qualified in 64 years. Getting older? The time of year? Qatar?

It’s time of year. We’re creatures of habit. World cups are for summer bbq’s in our memories.

That said I’m already pretty well engaged in this one. First World Cup I’ve been in England for since 2010, definitely picked up an upswing in interest over the last 72hrs. If England beat USA momentum should continue
    I can imagine it would be a great moment to wipe away the stain of 1950, 1776 and various NYT editorials.
  • Betfair exchange France 8 England 8.2 Spain 8.4. Have had 20 on England.
    pillsbury said:

Betfair exchange France 8 England 8.2 Spain 8.4. Have had 20 on England.

Are England really as likely to win this as France and Spain? I have my doubts.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    This will be our third WC meeting with the USA.
    We've one goal and one point so far.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

I remember being fascinated by the World Cup as a kid and watched bits and pieces of all the tournaments since. I have to say this is the first time I have not watched a single moment of it. And funnily enough it is the first time Wales have qualified in 64 years. Getting older? The time of year? Qatar?

Then you are missing out. Excellent tournament so far. Two classic shocks in the first few days; some goal ridden hammerings; lots to like.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

Have Germany been knocked out?

If Japan beat Costa Rica and Spain beat Germany - yes.
    dixiedean said:

Costa Rica were beyond awful. Iran’s performance was weird: they are supposedly a decent side. We won’t really know until they have faced Wales on Friday morning.
    moonshine said:

Limeys vs Yanks on a Friday night will be massive IMO. 7pm kick off too so not too late for young uns.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    dixiedean said:

England looked better than France in attack, worse in defence

But Brazil haven't played yet, and they have the best team according to FIFA

I'd have Brazil as faves, France as -just! - 2nd faves, England a close third, Spain fourth, Argentina fifth

It will be one of those five
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

pillsbury said:

Patriotism bias tends to affect the odds in World Cups. Not so many French and Spanish punters on Betfair.

Have Germany been knocked out?

No, they have only played one game!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    England have done well in the last two big tournaments and started well this week. They’re not a bad shout.

Meh, how?

Argentina 1-2 Saudi (with Saudi scoring the goal of the tournament)

Germany 1-2 Japan (with Japan with the best first touch of the tournament)

Hardly meh.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

pillsbury said:

538's probabilities look pretty good to me: they have the UK as a 7% chance - and that feels about right. By contrast, they have Spain at 15% and France at 11%.

Brazil, of course, is the favourite with a 22% chance.

FWIW, they estimate Germany has only a 33% chance of even qualifying from their group!

pillsbury said:

They really really are. Certainly as likely as Spain, perhaps just behind France

If England had a recent history of winning tournaments, rather than 40 years history of choking and going out, I suspect they would be joint favourites with Brazil

Unfortunately (!!!) we do have that history
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I'd have Brazil as faves, France as -just! - 2nd faves, England a close third, Spain fourth, Argentina fifth

I think that's a good summation so far.
    It's a bit shadow boxing so far.
    One point. 32 teams, and there are a couple completely out of their depth so far.
    How many when we have 48 next time? In groups of three with two to qualify?
    dixiedean said:

Yup. Our record against them is poor. The Americans see us as a major rival and consider the fixture effectively a derby match: they’ll be up for it.

Meh, how?

Hardly meh.
    What's most interesting about both those games is that:

(a) the scorelines are identical
    (b) the favourites scored first in both matches
    (c) off a penalty
    (d) and had goals disallowed for offside
    (e) and the underdogs got both their goals in the second half

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Germany nailed on then (sorry, Leon, couldn’t resist)

dixiedean said:

Yup. Our record against them is poor. The Americans see us as a major rival and consider the fixture effectively a derby match: they’ll be up for it.
    For those guys who still play in the (salary capped) MLS, it's the opportunity to never have to work again in their lives.
  • pillsbury said:

I am assuming they will spike on a win between now and then. Not proposing to hold to maturity.
    rcs1000 said:

Meh, how?

Hardly meh.
    What's most interesting about both those games is that:

(a) the scorelines are identical
    (b) the favourites scored first in both matches
    (c) off a penalty
    (d) and had goals disallowed for offside
    (e) and the underdogs got both their goals in the second half

Very true! Weird!

🚨NEW

💥Labour is ahead of the Conservatives in both the Red & Blue Wall, according to an exclusive VI by @RedfieldWilton for @itvpeston 📈

Westminster VI 💬
    Blue Wall: LAB 41%, CON 30%
    Red Wall: LAB 53%, CON 30%

See the full breakdown and more later tonight 👀

#Peston https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1595516571820122117/photo/1
    edited November 2022

dixiedean said:

They don't see us as a major "rival". Rival implies consistent equality. They see us as a tier 1 nation highly likely to defeat them, as a Tier 2 nation, especially after the last games played by both in this tourney

This is reflected in the FIFA rankings - 5 (England) versus 18 (USA)

If the USA get a draw they will consider that a big result. For Southgate it will be a considerable disappointment

Does the USA have a rival and a derby game? Perhaps Mexico? I dunno. Don't follow their football

For England it is probably Holland, Germany or France (tho the French have beaten us of late more than vice versa)

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

One point. 32 teams, and there are a couple completely out of their depth so far.
    Isn’t it 40 teams in 10 groups or something? Only 16 qualify I think. There’s no Round of 32 AFAIK. You could add several more good European sides. Most of the weaker sides are from outside Europe.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Isn’t it 40 teams in 10 groups or something? Only 16 qualify I think. There’s no Round of 32 AFAIK. You could add several more good European sides. Most of the weaker sides are from outside

Europe.

Sorry @dixiedean it seems you are right.

I stand by my point about European teams though.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

For those guys who still play in the (salary capped) MLS, it's the opportunity to never have to work again in their lives.
    It's not quite salary capped: each team is allowed three players (so called 'designated players') who don't count against the cap. (Or rather, they incur the same 'charge', irrespective of their actual salary.)

This means that the teams can end up ridiculously unbalanced: Toronto pays Italian international Lorenzo Insigne $14m/year. And he'll regularly be on the pitch with players earning $65,000/year.

Interestingly, the most successful MLS teams are rarely the ones who spend the most money. LAFC's total wage bill ($14.5m) is about the same as Insigne's salary, while Philadelphia (who came second in the League) was only $11.8m.

Watch for Kellyn Acosta in the England - USA game; he's tipped to move from MLS to Europe.
    edited November 2022

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Isn’t it 40 teams in 10 groups or something? Only 16 qualify I think. There’s no Round of 32 AFAIK. You could add several more good European sides. Most of the weaker sides are from outside

Europe.

40 teams in 8x5 groups with two to qualify would be better if you have to expand.
    AIUI there will be only 3 more European teams.
    You could add more from S America. I don't see Peru, Chile, Colombia getting battered. There's probably an argument for Africa too.
    The problem is Asia and CONCACAF are almost always exactly the same countries. Regardless of whether they have a decent side or not.
    edited November 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Europe.

40 teams in 8x5 groups with two to qualify would be better if you have to expand.
    AIUI there will be only 3 more European teams.
    You could add more from S America. I don't see Peru, Chile, Colombia getting battered. There's probably an argument for Africa too.
    The problem is Asia and CONCACAF are almost

always exactly the same countries. Regardless

of whether they have a decent side or not.

Sounds like they still might go with four team groups because of the risk of collusion when one team in a group isn’t playing in the final round of group matches. From Wiki:

In response to fears of collusion, CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani commented in April 2022 that FIFA was still considering 12 groups of 4.

Regarding Concacaf, USA, Mexico and Canada will automatically qualify as hosts - which means more Caribbean and Central American sides will be in there I guess?
    EXCL: Dominic Raab faces more claims of bullying

@BBCNewsnight’s been told dozens of his ex-private secretaries are to submit formal complaints, in a co-ordinated effort to lodge concerns

There are also questions over Mr Raab’s use of personal email accounts

More 1030pm BBC 2 https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1595538720555409408/photo/1
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

They don't see us as a major "rival". Rival implies consistent equality. They see us as a tier 1 nation highly likely to defeat them, as a Tier 2 nation, especially after the last games played by both in this tourney

If the USA get a draw they will consider that a big result. For Southgate it will be a considerable disappointment

Does the USA have a rival and a derby game? Perhaps Mexico? I dunno. Don't follow their football

For England it is probably Holland, Germany or France (tho the French have beaten us of late more than vice versa)

Rival does indeed imply what you say. However, I’m assured that the States fans do consider us one.

US-Mexico is a (more genuine and two way) rivalry too though yes.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Christ.

The Colorado shooter’s dad on finding out his son murdered people: “They started telling me about the incident, a shooting... And then I go on to find out it’s a gay bar. I got scared, ‘Shit, is he gay?’ And he’s not gay, so I said, phew… I am a conservative Republican.”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1595519454900805649
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Definitely Germany. No contest. And Argentina. Scotland are a rival too despite the fact we are vastly more successful on the international stage.
    Member of Trump's legal team.

.@JennaEllisEsq on the Club Q shooting. The “people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewkimmel/status/1595492438033936385
  • The World Cup has just been a bit … meh

Is it effective? It looks like there are some tired players out there, and up to half an hour of stoppage time must make things worse.
    Having said all that. Why do we still have exclusively continental qualifying quotas? It isn't necessary at all these days.
    Here's how I'd do it on current 32 teams.
    Automatic: Hosts and holders (2).

20 groups (with preliminaries beforehand).
    9 from Europe.
    3 from Africa.
    Merge CONCACAF and S America.
    5 groups there.
    Merge Asia and Oceania.
    3 groups there.

Winners of groups only to qualify. That's 20 more teams.

The remaining 10 places to be decided by a two-legged playoff between group runners-up. No European team to play each other.
    This would make qualifying more rigorous and less automatic for average sides.
  • This World Cup was ruined by political correctness gone mad (for the old school crowd)

Until Saudi Arabia and Japan saved it
    Nigelb said:

.@JennaEllisEsq on the Club Q shooting. The “people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”

Fucking hell
    Rachel Reeves wins Chancellor Of The Year in a crowded field at the Spectator awards
    https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1595543514137387008
    Nigelb said:

America is deeply wierd.
    Nigelb said:

Christ.

The Colorado shooter’s dad on finding out his son murdered people: “They started telling me about the incident, a shooting... And then I go on to find out it’s a gay bar. I got scared, ‘Shit, is he gay?’ And he’s not gay, so I said, phew… I am a conservative Republican.”

America is deeply wierd.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,571
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Tier 1" is pushing it for a team that will start the next UEFA Nations League campaign outside of the top Group A of 16 teams, following their relegation to Group B this year. Let's hope that the turnaround of form on Monday lasts and marks an end to the run of bad results against decent European teams that got them there.

Nigelb said:

Judge not lest ye be judged.
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Christ.

America is deeply wierd.
    There is a growing theo-fascist strain in US politics.
    Exclusive:

Ministers preparing to launch £25m ‘full scale’ public information campaign urging people to cut energy use

Campaign includes 8 pieces of advice coming at little or no cost to people while not sacrificing comfort, saving up to £420 a year https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1595545208141537280
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,993

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

"Tier 1" is pushing it for a team that will start the next UEFA Nations League campaign outside of the top Group A of 16 teams, following their relegation to Group B this year. Let's hope that the turnaround of form on Monday lasts and marks an end to the run of bad results against decent European teams that got them there.

The Nation's League is a system of glorified friendlies. It's a good innovation over actual friendlies but real teams only care about the Euros and World Cup.

Holland are equivalent to England but both Germany and France have brought a lot more trophies home than us. They are genuinely tier 1 footballing nations. We are probably between tier 1 and tier 2.
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

America is deeply wierd.
    Republicans are deeply weird. Urban non-political Americans also think this sort of stuff is mental.

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I think @Leon is forgetting just how awful England was in the Nations League this year.

In the first five games, they scored only one goal, while conceding seven. In the end, England managed zero wins from six games.

I'm not convinced drubbing Iran is a sign that England is now a genuine World Cup contender, and would happily sell them on Betfair.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    I'm bullish on England but just slightly concerned about us starting so strong. You need to build through the tournament. Hoping for a scrappy 1-0 win vs USA or even the draw.

On the betting I think Uruguay at 46 stands out on a value metric. I have a few pounds on that.
    edited November 2022
    Apologies. I'm generally a good speller. But weird is my nemesis.
    Never got it.
  • Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Ministers preparing to launch £25m ‘full scale’ public information campaign urging people to cut energy use

Campaign includes 8 pieces of advice coming at little or no cost to people while not sacrificing comfort, saving up to £420 a year https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1595545208141537280

Rishi's government has a novel modus operandi. Refuse, then reflect and adopt.
  • dixiedean said:

Never got it.

Depending what system you use, pay attention to red underlining, or set the wrong spelling to be an abbreviation of the right spelling.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I think @Leon is forgetting just how awful England was in the Nations League this year.

In the first five games, they scored only one goal, while conceding seven. In the end, England managed zero wins from six games.

I'm not convinced drubbing Iran is a sign that England is now a genuine World Cup contender, and would happily sell them on Betfair.
    Mind you... LAFC managed to lose all its pre-season friendlies, and then went on to win both the Supporters Shield and the MLS cup. So maybe I'm being excessively negative.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I'm not convinced drubbing Iran is a sign that

England is now a genuine World Cup contender,

and would happily sell them on Betfair.

England WERE

England ARE

Not England was

Not England is

Aaaaaargh. @NickPalmer was at this earlier.

dixiedean said:

Never got it.

i before e and all that
    dixiedean said:

Never got it.

I before e except after c or when the letter sounds like ee

Or something.

English is weird/wierd.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    edited November 2022

dixiedean said:

Never got it.

I before e except after c or when the letter sounds like ee

Or something.

English is weird/wierd.
    Unlike Sir Kier Keir.
  • Decent start from England. Let's see if we can beat USA. We haven't done that in the World Cup! I remain hopeful and positive, 6 points after 2 games is good outcome 👍
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    @elonmusk
    It has been really bad. Far left San Francisco/Berkeley views have been propagated to the world via Twitter.

I’m sure this comes as no surprise to anyone watching closely.

Twitter is moving rapidly to establish an even playing field. No more thumb on the scale!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595534031545765890
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Nigelb said:

Even after the 2:1: Japanese fans stayed back to clean
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1595495444339380224

I feel we should implement the same approach the Japanese take with school cleaning by children - it seems to work wonders on general cleanliness. As far as trying a new cultural approach it seems a very good one.
    edited November 2022

Nigelb said:

Makes the ayatollahs sound moderate.
    Certainly doesn't sound like any God I'd want to follow.

Certain ayatollahs seem more concerned with temporal displays of power in any case.

pillsbury said:

Patriotism bias tends to affect the odds in World Cups. Not so many French and Spanish punters on Betfair.
    Well, how do they throw their money away at World Cups then?
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I feel we should implement the same approach the Japanese take with school cleaning by children - it seems to work wonders on general cleanliness. As far as trying a new cultural approach it seems a very good one.
    As long as we adopt the teachers and students having a kip after lunchtime as well, then I'm massively in favour
    edited November 2022
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

As long as we adopt the teachers and students having a kip after lunchtime as well, then I'm massively in favour
    Works for me, I often feel like I could use a siesta (apparently some theorise this may be something called Postprandial somnolence, which is too good a name to not be real).

@elonmusk
    It has been really bad. Far left San Francisco/Berkeley views have been propagated to the world via Twitter.

Twitter is moving rapidly to establish an even playing field. No more thumb on the scale!

PB borefest classics:

• Musk
    • Borisweight
    • Trans

• Fascinating interview...

Ex-Ambassador speaks out: How Qatar funds extremism in the West
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLny7b0DAiI

@elonmusk

That still quite a few issues.

What do you do about bots/threats/incitement to violence?

Nigelb said:

Makes the ayatollahs sound moderate.
    Clearly she is a nutcase, but at least her damnation on people is for the next life.

@elonmusk

That still quite a few issues.

What do you do about bots/threats/incitement to violence?
    Or free speech?
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Is this the campaign Truss was determined to stop as it was part of the nanny state?

I presume she would have thought likewise about the Thatcher government's Aids awareness campaign.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Is this the campaign Truss was determined to stop as it was part of the nanny state?

I presume she would have thought likewise about the Thatcher government's Aids awareness campaign.
    It was only £15m in October. Inflation's really getting out of hand.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/449950/stupid-decision-liz-truss-blocks-15m-ad-campaign-to-help-public-save-energy/
  • A detransitioner speaks to Holyrood:

I feel good about that meeting, I was in prime and didn't hold back.

One contributor asked "well can you just fill in a form to reverse the GRC"

I retorted, "which form do I complete to get my genitals back"

Spicy....

I'll speak to English MPs too, but for most part, England is getting its shit together.

But Scotland, what are you doing? Funding grooming organisations that will "help children find their trans identity"

Disgusten.gif

https://twitter.com/TullipR/status/1595432713045086208
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Worth listening to - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0dfg11h

Powerplay: The House of Sep Blatter
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760
    dixiedean said:

Never got it.

That’s odd. It’s strange that a word can trip you up.

I simply cannot pronounce “compartmentalisation” correctly…
  • Jonathan said:

Xmas world cups are definitely weird.

You don't care for Xmas cups? What about Christmas fruitcakes? Hanukkah latkes? Eid keer? Tet banh chung?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,081

@elonmusk

"Far left"
    dixiedean said:

@elonmusk

Views I don't agree with have been propogated.
    The very mark of a free speech absolutist.
    It's a bit trickier than first imagined.
    Musk is just an arse labouring under the misapprehension that he's witty.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

@elonmusk

Views I don't agree with have been propogated.
    The very mark of a free speech absolutist.
    It's a bit trickier than first imagined.
    Musk is just an arse labouring under the misapprehension that he's witty.
    He seems to think he's the messiah, channelling the human species's destiny to itself.

Curiously the Sh*tter account #elonmuskisac*nt (without the bleepout) is marked as "suspended".

C'mon, Musk, is Musk a c*nt or is he not a c*nt? Or does he tell us like some fool of a philosophy lecturer that it's more complicated than that?

Let's hold a vote! "Vox Populi, Vox Dei", according to the Musk.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited November 2022

@elonmusk

PB borefest classics:

• Musk
    • Borisweight
    • Trans

Indeed .

A particular poster hijacks the conversation several times a day with transgender re-Tweets. I have conflicted views on the issue. It seems very complicated and not the simple universal condemnation narrative that poster prefers. Under the circumstances I am finding it best to keep away from the site.

Other dreary borefests to be avoided are AI and photographs of exotic location lunches, as well of course as my own PMQs scorecard.

Surely you appreciate the comedy value in Johnson's weight being due to excessive muscle mass, as accorded by one poster, rather than an over indulgent bon viveur lifestyle.

On topic. Japan?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited November 2022
    Broadcast of tabulation of RCV results from Alaska 2022 General Election

https://www.ktoo.org/360TV/#page=schedule&day=20221123&provider=Broadcast

Addendum - Lisa Murkowski re-elected as US Senator
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,704
    In one last desparate effort from me for a PB Borefest nomination

SKS wins Spectator MP of the year award and receives applause from fellow Tory MPs

SKS fans please explain
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited November 2022
    Mary Peltola re-elected to US House from Alaska

note results are still unofficial until certified (likely on Tuesday) but outcome is set.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    I thought spelling it "wierd" was deliberate, and a nice touch.
  • I thought spelling it "wierd" was deliberate, and a nice touch.

What are you, some kind of wierdo?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,051
    I think Brazil are too short, they haven't performed well in a WC for a long time.

Spain and France should be favourites, England and Belgium outsiders but plausible. Netherlands and Portugal as long-shots.
This discussion has been closed.