Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is appalling from Fox News – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    Tres said:

The Fox News clip is appalling. The trouble is the rot starts at the top.

I might have hoped Biden would try to unify. Instead, he has been as partial, if not more so, than Trump. Not a word from him to calm the nation after the Roe v Wade decision was leaked and a Supreme Court Judge saw a man charged with his attempted murder, because it didn't fit his narrative. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/09/politics/nicholas-john-roske-911-call-audio-brett-kavanaugh/index.html

There is no prospective president who looks likely to act to pull the nation together like presidents of the past as recently as George W Bush.

strange how it's always joe's fault
    Those accusing Biden of being as divisive as Trump are deluded and desperate to find both siderism when there is none . Biden has tried but there’s now no longer a way of trying to unite a country which is fractured beyond repair .

The GOP are a cancer on the USA . The majority of the party should be locked up for sedition.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    If I visited Iceland it would be for the archaeology, food and the only modern language of Europe to have survived pretty much intact in its medieval form. A treasure trove.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,062
    Leon said:

Who the F advised me to come to Iceland?

Find a hot spring and a glass of champagne
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    A G&T costs £13 in a very average Rejkavik hotel bar

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    Jonathan said:

The right need to sort their shit out, decent right wingers (and there are many) need to say enough is enough.

Overton window. Decent right wingers are now seeing themselves as centrist
  • Options

Leon said:

Ho ho. Buy champagne in Iceland?!? Are you as rich as Richi Sunak?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Ishmael_Z said:

Has Finland Secret just dropped?

The Mail story?

There are people here who claim to know.

If so, how boring. The hope and hype was much kinkier than this.
    I reckon it has to the be the Mail story myself.

Foreign governmemts attempt to hack phones all the time though, wheres the shock, horror?
    That they succeed.
    It's not the first time.

• Options

If I visited Iceland it would be for the archaeology, food and the only modern language of Europe to have survived pretty much intact in its medieval form. A treasure trove.

Have you been?

I’ve heard that this might not be true: the language thing. Ie that modern Icelandics can read the Sagas absolutely no problem. Instead they are about as obscure as Shakespeare is to us.

But I’d like it to be true
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah. OGH is back.

So no new Prime Minister this week?
    Nope. Next May…
    The only new Prime Minister before the next general election who is not Sunak would be Boris.

Though I doubt this changes much, Sunak would just fire Braverman if needed and replace her with Raab and say the breach happened under his predecessor
    As I was saying last night, a Truss return is underpriced. It’s going to happen.

It isn't, Truss got the worst poll rating of any Tory leader ever. Sunak is unlikely to go but if he did Boris would likely replace him but even Braverman Badenoch or Rees Mogg are more likely successors as Tory leaders now than Truss
    Your continuing campaign for the right wing little Englanders shows no sign of abating, nor do you seem to realise the obvious that they would destroy the conservative party and you and their supporters would join the Corbynites as a cult destined to failure
    I'm not sure I'd put Badenoch in the same bucket as Braverman or Rees Mogg on that spectrum.
    Actually I agree but it does no alter my critique of @HYUFD who is very much of the right and regularly promotes RefUK and Farage, and even Trump
    You keep coming out with this rant but I did not vote for Truss unlike most Tory members, I voted for Sunak. I did not vote for Farage in the European elections, I voted for May's Tories but Farage won most seats anyway. I did not even vote for Brexit unlike 52% of the voters in 2016
    You protest too much - your posts tell a different story of where your true allegiance lies and it is with the ERG the right, RefUK, Farage and even Trump

• Options

Astonishing to discover that Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng, as they prepared for office, met with ANDREW LILICO to be briefed on the economic situation.

He once replied to one of my tweets. It was my 15 minutes. That and when Brian Moore (Rugby Union Footballer) did. Oh, and Graham Rowntree out of Blur was a trainee solicitor in my department. So I guess I’ve had 45 minutes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Looks as dull as a Volvo advert.
    Looks nice. No nasty sun or UV.
    So is there an opposite to SAD?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah. OGH is back.

Nope. Next May…
    The only new Prime Minister before the next general election who is not Sunak would be Boris.

Though I doubt this changes much, Sunak would just fire Braverman if needed and replace her with Raab and say the breach happened under his predecessor
    As I was saying last night, a Truss return is underpriced. It’s going to happen.

It isn't, Truss got the worst poll rating of any Tory leader ever. Sunak is unlikely to go but if he did Boris would likely replace him but even Braverman Badenoch or Rees Mogg are more likely successors as Tory leaders now than Truss
    Your continuing campaign for the right wing little Englanders shows no sign of abating, nor do you seem to realise the obvious that they would destroy the conservative party and you and their supporters would join the Corbynites as a cult destined to failure
    I'm not sure I'd put Badenoch in the same bucket as Braverman or Rees Mogg on that spectrum.
    Actually I agree but it does no alter my critique of @HYUFD who is very much of the right and regularly promotes RefUK and Farage, and even Trump
    Don’t forget Meloni, Åkesson and Franco.
    Meloni currently Italian PM without me being able to vote in Italy, the Swedish government reliant on Akesson to stay in power without me being able to vote in Sweden either.

But you regularly gush over all three. You are a cheerleader for other mini fascists.
  • Options

It is possible I suppose that Braverman has leaked this, to make her own indiscretions look less disgraceful.

But I agree strongly with the post that says that neither the breach itself, nor this leak, are at all good for a country in a very dangerous security situation.

Meh. It happens all the time. The US hacked Germany.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Funnily enough I had a discussion with a mate in the pub only this week about his forthcoming trip to Iceland in early December. When I queried why go in the depths of bloody winter, he warbled on about the hot springs and the night skies with the northern lights.

Yawn.

Seen the Northern Lights lots of times. They’re ok, but have been blown way out of proportion by the marketing men.

Hot springs. Fairy nuff. But I get bored after 5 minutes.

Night skies? Any sparsely populated part of rural Scotland will do. Ideal in Wigtownshire, the Stewartry or South Uist for example.
    Is it true that if you look carefully into the northern lights you can see a city in another world? Always wondered about that.
    No.

Not unless you have been accepting narcotics advice from Sean.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

Unusually clever understatement on Wiki:

"Hákarl is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark or other sleeper shark that has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months. It has a strong ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste, making hákarl an acquired taste."
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Interesting observation that private employers are generally avoiding the woke wars that Chambers, think tanks & universities are getting embroiled in (and often coming out worse):

The reaction of some of these organisations comes down to their very nature. Daly explains: “If a moral organisation has been accused of discrimination, it carries so much more weight because it’s not just its actions being criticised but its whole identity. It’s very easy for those organisations to react with extreme prejudice to any complaint or concern of discrimination because it is perceived that the gender-critical woman is attacking the institution’s identity.”

Daly had one case that involved a Plc, rather than the likes of universities, think-tanks and barristers’ chambers: “They were an absolute model of what should be done. They got everybody around the table, had a conversation and resolved it. As far as I know, everybody moved away from that much happier for it. When you’re not kind of blinkered, or when you’re not self-defined as a moral organisation, it’s a lot easier to do that.”

https://www.thelawyer.com/the-poisoned-debate-forstater-and-baileys-lawyer-on-defending-gender-critical-beliefs/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Looks nice. No nasty sun or UV.
    So is there an opposite to SAD?
    They have summer SAD in Luxor, Egypt - true story. The relentless sun and 45C temps induce seasonal depression and an urge to escape
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

The Flint Knappers Morning Chronicle not paying for this one?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited October 2022

“Private messages with her close friend Kwasi Kwarteng.”

I’m old enough to remember when Big G was suggesting I was foul of libel law, having recently concluded his campaign to persecute Keir Starmer’s masala.

This particular inference you make has been called out this week and I would suggest you are being very unwise to repeat it
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Must watch 5 minute Russian TV discussion show segment. Panellists openly criticising the approach and Putin. They were told to be quiet but these voices are now speaking live on Russian TV. That is something incredible in itself.

Meanwhile in Russia: several panelists threw some truth grenades at the stunned TV hosts, look how those angry propagandists pummeled the pundit who said that by destroying the infrastructure, Russia is waging a cruel, sadistic war against civilians. He won't be invited back.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1586395220476039168
  • Options

Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

The Flint Knappers Morning Chronicle not paying for this one?
    They are indeed paying, I’m on a freebie, as ever. But “incidental” alcohol is on my own shilling

I might have to shoplift some Black Death*

*Brennivin
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

"Hákarl is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark or other sleeper shark that has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months. It has a strong ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste, making hákarl an acquired taste."
    I once wrote an entire article on the peculiar and comical horror that is Icelandic cuisine

Sheep’s heads, ram’s testicles in whale fat, hakarl, roast puffin, it is endlessly awful
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858

I’m old enough to remember when Big G was suggesting I was foul of libel law, having recently concluded his campaign to persecute Keir Starmer’s masala.

This particular inference you make has been called out this week and I would suggest you are being very unwise to repeat it
    The Mail on Sunday is repeating it.
    Go clutch your pearls in their direction.

• Options
    Leon said:

Have you been?

I’ve heard that this might not be true: the language thing. Ie that modern Icelandics can read the Sagas absolutely no problem. Instead they are about as obscure as Shakespeare is to us.

Poor analogy. The sagas are about half a millennium older than Shakespeare.
  • Options

I have made my point and am not getting further involved
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Leon said:

Have you been?

Everything you need to know is here, an amazing language channel from an autistic Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKl1orAWIao
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    nico679 said:

Tres said:

I might have hoped Biden would try to unify. Instead, he has been as partial, if not more so, than Trump. Not a word from him to calm the nation after the Roe v Wade decision was leaked and a Supreme Court Judge saw a man charged with his attempted murder, because it didn't fit his narrative. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/09/politics/nicholas-john-roske-911-call-audio-brett-kavanaugh/index.html

There is no prospective president who looks likely to act to pull the nation together like presidents of the past as recently as George W Bush.

Those accusing Biden of being as divisive as Trump are deluded and desperate to find both siderism when there is none . Biden has tried but there’s now no longer a way of trying to unite a country which is fractured beyond repair .

The GOP are a cancer on the USA . The majority of the party should be locked up for sedition.
    I think much of the GOP is awful, yet, they have the support of 49% of the voters. Tens of millions either share Trump's beliefs, or don't care, so long as they're "owning the Libtards". An American friend of mine, who lives in Alabama, says that actually some Red voters do acknowledge that many of their political leaders are batshit, but they get a kick out of winding up their political opponents.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

I once wrote an entire article on the peculiar and comical horror that is Icelandic cuisine

Sheep’s heads, ram’s testicles in whale fat, hakarl, roast puffin, it is endlessly awful
    You get what you can at the ends of the earth.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,042
    🔺 EXCLUSIVE: Liz Truss’s ‘rider’

☕️ Double espressos served in a flat-white-sized takeaway cup
    🍾 A bottle of sauvignon blanc in the fridge of any overnight accommodation
    🥪 Absolutely no mayonnaise on anything, ever

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-team-tour-book-extract-r7jj8rs6s?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667063950-1
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957

Has Finland Secret just dropped?

The Mail story?

There are people here who claim to know.

If so, how boring. The hope and hype was much kinkier than this.
    I reckon it has to the be the Mail story myself.

Foreign governmemts attempt to hack phones all the time though, wheres the shock, horror?
    How "personal" are the personal messages between her and the former chancellor?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

They've been shagging like stoats since forever.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Strikes me if this is the Finland Rumour (originally billed as a scandal which would bring down a senior Cabinet Minister), then it will be the actual contents of the "personal" texts between Liz and KK.
    Which may not prove to be "disappointingly
    boring."
    If.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647
    Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

I had a great time in Iceland. Lots of happy hour offers.
  • Options

Leon said:

Have you been?

Poor analogy. The sagas are about half a millennium older than Shakespeare.
    And? What is incredible about different languages evolving at different rates?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-team-tour-book-extract-r7jj8rs6s?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667063950-1

It’s not exactly diva material is it?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

Wales gets ignored again.
  • Options
    Simon Case really is a disaster zone, isn't he?

One of Cummings' worst mistakes in a field of remarkably strong competition.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Scott_xP said:

No mayonnaise?
    I find that incomprehensible. Utterly unfit on that basis alone.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah. OGH is back.

Nope. Next May…

Don’t forget Meloni, Åkesson and Franco.
    Meloni currently Italian PM without me being able to vote in Italy, the Swedish government reliant on Akesson to stay in power without me being able to vote in Sweden either.

You still cheer them all on here.

Your regular assertion that Franco was perfectly legitimate and respectable in his violent crushing of Socialists is up there and on topic with Fox News.

One of your favourites is, according to BBC R4 news closing in on the communist Lula in tomorrow's election. A celebration for the righteous and the good no doubt, if not the planet.and the relatives of 700,000 Brazilians who died (many directly as a result of his incompetence) of COVID.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wales gets ignored again.
    Not sure what the Basques have done to be left out either.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Scott_xP said:

I mean I know I post some shit on here, but really, did that one need to get posted?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

No mayonnaise?
    I find that incomprehensible. Utterly unfit on that basis alone.
    It is actually the one thing she is utterly correct about. Only degenerates like mayo
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I don’t believe that. She’s far to clever to be that reckless.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    My god, the South Korea stampede videos on Twitter are gruesome. 120 now dead - but really grim videos of lines of people giving CPR
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

Because of the Truss story? Its part of his job not to let the media go round advertising security breaches to all and sundry.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Tres said:

That second paragraph is remarkably healing and non-divisive

• Options
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I don’t believe that. She’s far to clever to be that reckless.
    It would not be that reckless these days. Whether true or not, it played no part in the destruction of both their careers. More time playing hide the salami would have meant less time playing economics, in fact...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    Sean_F said:

nico679 said:

Tres said:

I think much of the GOP is awful, yet, they have the support of 49% of the voters. Tens of millions either share Trump's beliefs, or don't care, so long as they're "owning the Libtards". An American friend of mine, who lives in Alabama, says that actually some Red voters do acknowledge that many of their political leaders are batshit, but they get a kick out of winding up their political opponents.
    I get this from the GOP inclined US colleagues too. Many of them are happy to see Trump laughed at by Europeans, most don’t look like MAGAs and they acknowledge there are bonkers types in the Republicans, but when pushed they go all both-sidesy about the Democrats and shrug at 6th January on the basis it was just a few over enthusiastic red necks.

Yes the temperature is lower here in the UK but before we get too self congratulatory, many otherwise sensible people voted for Boris despite all the lies and corruption for fear of Labour getting close to power, and many supposedly enlightened self-identifying progressives voted for the man with a planet sized anti-semitism blind spot who thought we should send Salisbury novichok samples to Russia for testing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ho ho. Buy champagne in Iceland?!? Are you as rich as Richi Sunak?
    Where did I say “buy”?

😂
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Because of the Truss story? Its part of his job not to let the media go round advertising security breaches to all and sundry.
    That's one. Also his bungling over Partygate, including his own breaches of the rules, his appalling choice of permanent secretaries, his lack of understanding of procedures...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    If there hadn’t been a weird omertà in the British press about the appropriateness of appointing one’s lover to Chancellor, we might have been spared the unfortunate incidents of the last six weeks.

Something to think about.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,224

Astonishing to discover that Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng, as they prepared for office, met with ANDREW LILICO to be briefed on the economic situation.

Julian Jessop, who also briefed her, claims they tried to tell her the markets would need to be carefully coaxed, not blindsided, and they were ignored:

https://archive.ph/VspHv

"Liz Truss: my part in her downfall"

When your own ideological bedfellows are telling you to slow down...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's one. Also his bungling over Partygate, including his own breaches of the rules, his appalling choice of permanent secretaries, his lack of understanding of procedures...
    Certainly some of those, yep. But definitely not tonights story
  • Options
    EXCL: Suella Braverman was investigated over claims she leaked sensitive details about the Northern Ireland protocol earlier this year.

It's the third leak inquiry into the Home Sec this year.

With @kateferguson4

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/20264308/home-secretary-suella-probed-leaked-protocol/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes, but also to ensure that Truss has a meeting with some smartly-dressed, well-built but anonymous gentlemen, whose names don't matter but they work for the Queen. Who make it clear that she should withdraw from the race to be Prime Minister and will support her in developing a face-saving excuse.

Oh, and here is your new mobile phone, we will ensure that it remains secure.
  • Options
    🤝 Keir Starmer suggested this week that Sunak had done a “grubby deal” with Braverman

👀 One Conservative MP and ally of Braverman even hinted this was the case to PoliticsHome, claiming that circumstances of her return meant it had been orchestrated “on her own terms”

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1586420593662263296
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes, but also to ensure that Truss has a meeting with some smartly-dressed, well-built but anonymous gentlemen, whose names don't matter but they work for the Queen. Who make it clear that she should withdraw from the race to be Prime Minister and will support her in developing a face-saving excuse.

Oh, and here is your new mobile phone, we will ensure that it remains secure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Ugh

I DEMAND HAKARL

have you seen any elves yet?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Julian Jessop, who also briefed her, claims they tried to tell her the markets would need to be carefully coaxed, not blindsided, and they were ignored:

https://archive.ph/VspHv

"Liz Truss: my part in her downfall"

When your own ideological bedfellows are telling you to slow down...
    I believe the term is “Mandy Rice Davies Applies.”
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647
    edited October 2022
    @leon - I know nothing about the economics of journalism so if not impertinent can I ask you some questions. I assume you do these trips alone without support staff, etc? I struggle to understand how it is financially viable. Your expenses must be high and I assume you aren't cheap and you are often away for sometime and we only see a couple of articles per trip. That seems very expensive per article. Am I wrong in my assumptions or is each article a lot of money?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I suspect I did, but I was simply parroting your "never turn down sex or travel" line.
    Iceland has one big drawback, which is cost. If you are on expenses though, I refuse to sympathise. Even bleak can be spectacular. And there is plenty of spectacle too.
    Next Autumn, though, go to Perthshire. For the trees. Europe's New England.
    I’m in Perthshire. The woodlands are magnificent, but unfortunately the drizzle detracts from the classic autumn atmosphere.
    I was in Perthshire Mon-Fri this week, in Dunkeld.
    In all honesty not the best of weather but far better than forecast. We were dry most of the week and didn't feel like it was only through strategic indoorsing. When the cloud was high it was glorious; when the cloud hung low it was still pretty atmospheric.
    I was thinking, actually, of your weariness about the conversation of which English county was loveliest, and where I would slot the Scottish counties. I didn't pursue the exercise for long - which counties do I use, for a start - the historical ones, for a direct comparison, ideally, but many of them are very small (how lovely is Clackmannnanshire?) and I'm not necessarily overly familiar with a lot of the smaller ones - but I did decide that Perthshire was probably the loveliest county in Scotland and would rank damn high in an Anglo-Scottish list.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New Zulu King's coronation took place in Durban today if Charles wants any ideas for next year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-63426528

A tongue-in-cheek post deserving of some likes!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

She's right about mayonnaise.
  • Options
    I rather liked roast puffin. A bit like duck. Nice lamb too.
    kjh said:

@leon - I know nothing about the economics of journalism so if not impertinent can I ask you some questions. I assume you do these trips alone without support staff, etc? I struggle to understand how it is financially viable. Your expenses must be high and I assume you aren't cheap and you are often away for sometime and we only see a couple of articles per trip. That seems very expensive per article. Am I wrong in my assumptions or is each article a lot of money?

I think it’s usually the hospitality providers who pay - cheap advertising.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Suella Braverman was investigated over claims she leaked sensitive details about the Northern Ireland protocol earlier this year.

With @kateferguson4

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/20264308/home-secretary-suella-probed-leaked-protocol/

I think a problem is that a lot of politicians have been promoted very quickly into very senior government roles and so have less of a sense of how important those jobs are , certainly more important than the individual holding them. Maybe going back to old school ways of appointing high profile government jobs to those that have been groomed for them over many years is the best way
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

🤝 Keir Starmer suggested this week that Sunak had done a “grubby deal” with Braverman

👀 One Conservative MP and ally of Braverman even hinted this was the case to PoliticsHome, claiming that circumstances of her return meant it had been orchestrated “on her own terms”

The growth visa in that article is hilarious . I love the spin put on what was just a huge increase in immigration but they decided to just throw in growth instead of just the term work visa to dupe the plebs .

It’s often been the case that high growth is correlated with higher immigration levels in developed countries That’s why Japan with very little immigration has stagnated for decades.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

There's a word for this sort of thing: politics.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

“Sauvignon Blanc” is such a wide category that I can only assume she’s a fan of chain pub style NZ Sauvignon. She probably claims she hates Chardonnay (“too buttery”) but doesn’t mind Pinot Grigio. Those are the 3 standards on the pub menu before you move up to Chablis. Plus a picpoul de pinet or an Albariño if they’re being a bit fancy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It was you, wasn't it? Fairly sure someone on pb advised us to visit Iceland because its geology meant it was the nearest thing on Earth to walking on an alien planet. Are you sure that wasn't you?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Wild rumours going around that the body of General Alexander Lapin has been fished out of a river in Moscow.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    Last night's debate in Brazil. What has Bolsonaro got written on his hand? This isn't the first time he's had reminders written on his hand.

Towards the end he said he hoped he'd be re-elected to Congress.

He also seemed to have a bee up his a*se, but perhaps he's always like that.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Have you been?

Everything you need to know is here, an amazing language channel from an autistic Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKl1orAWIao
    I very much like the sound of Icelandic. I like the way it reads, too, once you get to grips with thorns and ashes. For an English speaker, it's the most comfortingly right-sounding - and indeed right-looking - of languages.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

“Sauvignon Blanc” is such a wide category that I can only assume she’s a fan of chain pub style NZ Sauvignon. She probably claims she hates Chardonnay but doesn’t mind Pinot Grigio. Those are the 3 standards on the pub menu before you move up to . Plus a picpoul de pinet or an Albariño if they’re being a bit fancy.
    It’s always annoying to be trapped in such places. I either go for the Albariño or the Chenin Blanc, they usually have one of either.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230

Scott_xP said:

With @kateferguson4

I think a problem is that a lot of politicians have been promoted very quickly into very senior government roles and so have less of a sense of how important those jobs are , certainly more important than the individual holding them. Maybe going back to old school ways of appointing high profile government jobs to those that have been groomed for them over many years is the best way
    I think a problem is that a lot of politicians have been promoted very quickly into very senior government roles who are shits.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

I'd stick with the earlier two words, "grubby" and "deal".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Part of the Johnson-led Great Debauch of the Institutions.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

I'd stick with the earlier two words, "grubby" and "deal".
    It’s been discussed on here many times that FPTP means large parties that are coalitions, whereas PR systems tend to coalitions of smaller parties. The latter usually means lots of grubby deals after an election to form a government. FPTP just means those deals are done before elections.

As someone else said - politics.
  • Options

Wild rumours going around that the body of General Alexander Lapin has been fished out of a river in Moscow.

Was he not sacked yesterday?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    I wouldn't be altogether shocked. Just the sort of stupid shit that we would do for the Americans for a pat on the head from Uncle Biden.
  • Options
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/9683369/putin-top-commander-found-dead-in-river-over-ukraine/

Mystery as top Putin general ‘found dead in Moscow River’ hours after he was sacked for ‘surrendering’ in Ukraine.

Seems unmysterious to me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

If there hadn’t been a weird omertà in the British press about the appropriateness of appointing one’s lover to Chancellor, we might have been spared the unfortunate incidents of the last six weeks.

I assumed it was common knowledge
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    nico679 said:

Tres said:

I'd be interested if you have some examples of his attempts to unite America.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Part of the Johnson-led Great Debauch of the Institutions.
    Simon Case has royal connections.
    He's also the first cabinet secretary for ~50 years to be on the Privy Council. (He joined it shortly after the king's accession.)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Funnily enough I had a discussion with a mate in the pub only this week about his forthcoming trip to Iceland in early December. When I queried why go in the depths of bloody winter, he warbled on about the hot springs and the night skies with the northern lights.

Yawn.

Seen the Northern Lights lots of times. They’re ok, but have been blown way out of proportion by the marketing men.

Hot springs. Fairy nuff. But I get bored after 5 minutes.

Night skies? Any sparsely populated part of rural Scotland will do. Ideal in Wigtownshire, the Stewartry or South Uist for example.
    I keep missing out. 6 miles away from me on the north coast of Aberdeenshire.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/9683369/putin-top-commander-found-dead-in-river-over-ukraine/

Mystery as top Putin general ‘found dead in Moscow River’ hours after he was sacked for ‘surrendering’ in Ukraine.

Really? Seems most peculiar. I mean, where's the window?
    It’s terrible, once your life’s work is through, how quickly your body just gives up.

I rather fear retirement.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

“Sauvignon Blanc” is such a wide category that I can only assume she’s a fan of chain pub style NZ Sauvignon. She probably claims she hates Chardonnay but doesn’t mind Pinot Grigio. Those are the 3 standards on the pub menu before you move up to . Plus a picpoul de pinet or an Albariño if they’re being a bit fancy.
    It’s always annoying to be trapped in such places. I either go for the Albariño or the Chenin Blanc, they usually have one of either.
    If you are in a pub then drink beer. The wine is never good.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No, it wasn’t.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

“Sauvignon Blanc” is such a wide category that I can only assume she’s a fan of chain pub style NZ Sauvignon. She probably claims she hates Chardonnay (“too buttery”) but doesn’t mind Pinot Grigio. Those are the 3 standards on the pub menu before you move up to Chablis. Plus a picpoul de pinet or an Albariño if they’re being a bit fancy.
    Read a sommelier's story the other day about a diner indignantly rejecting a bottle of blanc de blancs champagne on being told it was made of nasty common chardonnay grapes.

Wouldn't hurt to say Sancerre or Pouilly-Fumé. Though of course the jury is out on France.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

You are so right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Common knowledge, but unspoken.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

First reported on Ukrainian TV (24tv.ua - largely controlled by the wife of the mayor of Lvov), picked up by the Sun and Wikipedia.

Am struggling to think of a reason why the FSB might do that. Disappear him or suicide him in his residence, maybe.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    "Liz Truss's personal phone was hacked by Putin's spies for top secret details of negotiations with allies and private messages she exchanged with Kwasi Kwarteng"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11368619/Liz-Trusss-personal-phone-hacked-Putins-spies-secret-details-negotiations.html
  • Options
    I have to say, this phone business seems a missed opportunity. If they'd handed those phones over to @Ishmael_Z and me, think how much fun we could have had punning backwards and forwards pretending we were speaking in code for 'so what do we do with these photos of Putin fucking eight year old boys then?'

Just think of the meltdown in the St Petersburg Collective Botfarm...
  • Options

Your point appears to be that you do jot understand defamation. Sorry.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

First reported on Ukrainian TV (24tv.ua - largely controlled by the wife of the mayor of Lvov), picked up by the Sun and Wikipedia.

Am struggling to think of a reason why the FSB might do that. Disappear him or suicide him, maybe.
    Encourage the others.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

In Slug and Lettuce type places, the beer is also quite suspect.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Really? Seems most peculiar. I mean, where's the window?
    It’s terrible, once your life’s work is through, how quickly your body just gives up.

I rather fear retirement.
    The Russians know how to save on pensions.
This discussion has been closed.