Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is appalling from Fox News – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Agronomy clearly not her core skill.
    Didn't we do something with chicory as a coffee substitute in WW2? Maybe that was the secret plan.
    My currently pregnant wife is enjoying drinking ‘camp’ coffee, made with chicory.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Have you not heard of Yorkshire Tea?
    Horrible stuff. I know the PM disagrees, but so be it.
    Have had some genuinely British grown tea (Tregothnan in Cornwall). Not bad.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Sad to hear, perhaps belatedly, that Ian Jack died.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900
    edited October 2022

4 point lead for Sunak on best PM, tories lead on economy, defence, foreign policy, terror, adrift on the rest, but 40% feel more positive about the Tories now since Sunak took over.
    Sunak bounce is underway, time will tell how far it goes

🙂 how does this compare with Liz Truss v Starmer? Is it safe to assume Truss never enjoyed best PM lead with Opinium, before or during her honeymoon?
    She got to level pegging with Opinium 21st September just before the budget. I belueve she got a 4 point lead just after HMQ died with somebody
    Edit - no, it was mid august before she won, with redfield. She never led as PM
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Didn't we do something with chicory as a coffee substitute in WW2? Maybe that was the secret plan.
    Isn't that what the brilliantly titled CAMP COFFEE is?
    Yes indeed, but the anti-woke cannot use it any more as the original label's turbaned servant standing behind the British soldier is nowadays sitting down beside the soldier on the modern label.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

Why do you feel he died belatedly?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

My currently pregnant wife is enjoying drinking ‘camp’ coffee, made with chicory.
    Still very common in the 1960s.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    edited October 2022
    carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

🔺 EXCLUSIVE: Liz Truss’s ‘rider’

☕️ Double espressos served in a flat-white-sized takeaway cup
    🍾 A bottle of sauvignon blanc in the fridge of any overnight accommodation
    🥪 Absolutely no mayonnaise on anything, ever

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-team-tour-book-extract-r7jj8rs6s?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667063950-1

She's right about mayonnaise.
    “Sauvignon Blanc” is such a wide category that I can only assume she’s a fan of chain pub style NZ Sauvignon. She probably claims she hates Chardonnay but doesn’t mind Pinot Grigio. Those are the 3 standards on the pub menu before you move up to . Plus a picpoul de pinet or an Albariño if they’re being a bit fancy.
    It’s always annoying to be trapped in such places. I either go for the Albariño or the Chenin Blanc, they usually have one of either.
    If you are in a pub then drink beer. The wine is never good.
    This whole conversation is rather assinine. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've done my junior sommelier training and passed the exam, and the head of the Court of Master Sommeliers was quite clear during the course that due to the advent of the new world and the resultant competition, wine quality these days was generally very good, and though there were a fair amount of unspectacular wines, there were very few bad ones. Sadly there are still wine snobs who will pull stupid faces at 'the wine in pubs', which says rather more about them than the actual wine in actual pubs.
    A remarkably cool post.

The pubs I go to these days are without exception really restaurants with pretty decent wine lists. I wouldn't dream of drinking wine in a proper pub pub.
    The "very few bad wines" is spot on. I have had genuinely faulty wine (rather than just a bad bottle) only once: some shithole rural hotel in the west midlands (which shall remain nameless) charged £18 for a bottle of Spanish white which Google told me later cost £3.29 wholesale. I had them bring another bottle: same (oxidised, watery). Honestly they could have bought their wine in from Aldi at 50p more a bottle and it would have been fine. What was odd was that the food was decent and well-priced.

Even the Wetherspoons Californian stuff which comes out of a tap for £1.40 per small glass is tolerable.
    I had some fairly nasty wine visiting an English vineyard on the Isle of Wight. A shame. The owners had clearly given up and were just going through the motions. Then visited another vineyard on the Island and faith was immediately restored.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,346
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

It's Bean and gone.
    Have you grounds for asserting that? If not, you deserve a roasting until you mellow.
    However bad things get, we can be confident that the current PM doesn't spend as much energy chasing the birds as his predecessor-but-one.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Bit rude, I am sure @turbotubbs' wife was very refined in the 60's if indeed she was alive.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

It's Bean and gone.
    Have you grounds for asserting that? If not, you deserve a roasting until you mellow.
    However bad things get, we can be confident that the current PM doesn't spend as much energy chasing the birds as his predecessor-but-one.
    Boris at least had the redeeming feature of being lazy. No matter what Boris promised or said it was unlikely to ever make it on to the statute book.

Sunak might have the drive to actually implement regressive legislation
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Yes indeed, but the anti-woke cannot use it any more as the original label's turbaned servant standing behind the British soldier is nowadays sitting down beside the soldier on the modern label.
    Crossing it off my shopping list as we speak.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Camp_coffee
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

What is your other wife drinking?
    I knew a man who had two wives. It was a bit confusing as they were both called Amy.

But it was a bit easier as Wife No. 1 was only 5:4 so she was Little Amy. The other one was 6:1 so she was Big Amy.
    That is your coat hanging up behind you. I suggest you take it for a test run....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

I see Hunt is going 50/50 spending cuts to tax rises to plug the fiscal hole, as compared with Osborn’s 80/20 ratio.

Still going to be rather unpleasant and possibly recessionary, though.

What fiscal hole? Before you expect me to believe there is one, explain to me where it came from.

Was it there when Boris was PM, so his budget had to plug it? Was it mentioned at all by any candidate during long months of Tory hustings? So where and when did a fiscal hole appear? You know what caused it and when?
    Good question.

I believe it is partly the energy giveaway, and partly the downturn of the economy against previous projections.

A third element, the moron premium on debt following the Trussterfuck, seems to have dissipated.

But you raise a valid point, which is why the British government is opting once more for austerity, when all the evidence suggests that British growth is suppressed by (1) poor capital investment; (2) pulling out of the single market.

Rishi’s answers to (1) and (2) are, essentially, at odds with mainstream economic thinking, but nobody has yet noticed and in any case overwhelmed by the relief that we are no longer Trussing.
    The investment is crucial there.
    Unlike the Cameron years, neither businesses, nor government can pay for higher taxes and budget cuts respectively by suppressing wages.
    Since nobody can get the staff.
    So all of this will come off investment.
    Leading to slower long term growth.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Bit rude, I am sure @turbotubbs' wife was very refined in the 60's if indeed she was alive.
    The coffee was common! My father's bedt friend's family used to drink it ca. 1965. I remember it from the label of the empire builder keeping up white person's standards with the help of the chap from a supposedly inferior race.

Though the old fashioned grocery 20 yards away would grind fresh beans whenever wanted - I can still smell them.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,162

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-team-tour-book-extract-r7jj8rs6s?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667063950-1

“Sauvignon Blanc” is such a wide category that I can only assume she’s a fan of chain pub style NZ Sauvignon. She probably claims she hates Chardonnay but doesn’t mind Pinot Grigio. Those are the 3 standards on the pub menu before you move up to . Plus a picpoul de pinet or an Albariño if they’re being a bit fancy.
    It’s always annoying to be trapped in such places. I either go for the Albariño or the Chenin Blanc, they usually have one of either.
    This whole conversation is rather assinine. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've done my junior sommelier training and passed the exam, and the head of the Court of Master Sommeliers was quite clear during the course that due to the advent of the new world and the resultant competition, wine quality these days was generally very good, and though there were a fair amount of unspectacular wines, there were very few bad ones. Sadly there are still wine snobs who will pull stupid faces at 'the wine in pubs', which says rather more about them than the actual wine in actual pubs.
    A remarkably cool post.

The pubs I go to these days are without exception really restaurants with pretty decent wine lists. I wouldn't dream of drinking wine in a proper pub pub.
    The "very few bad wines" is spot on. I have had genuinely faulty wine (rather than just a bad bottle) only once: some shithole rural hotel in the west midlands (which shall remain nameless) charged £18 for a bottle of Spanish white which Google told me later cost £3.29 wholesale. I had them bring another bottle: same (oxidised, watery). Honestly they could have bought their wine in from Aldi at 50p more a bottle and it would have been fine. What was odd was that the food was decent and well-priced.

Even the Wetherspoons Californian stuff which comes out of a tap for £1.40 per small glass is tolerable.
    I had some fairly nasty wine visiting an English vineyard on the Isle of Wight. A shame. The owners had clearly given up and were just going through the motions. Then visited another vineyard on the Island and faith was immediately restored.
    I can beat that. Went to a Welsh vineyard where the vines weren't mature yet, so they were doing a tasting of "fruit wines" they had cooked up. This despite advertising entirely as if it were a genuine vineyard on the leaflets and so on. Absolute shysters.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkably cool post.

I can beat that. Went to a Welsh vineyard where the vines weren't mature yet, so they were doing a tasting of "fruit wines" they had cooked up. This despite advertising entirely as if it were a genuine vineyard on the leaflets and so on. Absolute shysters.
    appalling no doubt, but you got that 4 year no-income gap you gotta fill somehow.

Top tip: if you want to start a whisky distillery do gin too, because whisky has to be aged 3 years before you can legally sell it, gin does not.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,962

That is sad. A journalist who was a very fine writer.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842

Apparently although they do have some bushes in Cornwall, they don't grow enough to sell commercially, so their branded tea is actually "blended"
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited October 2022

4 point lead for Sunak on best PM, tories lead on economy, defence, foreign policy, terror, adrift on the rest, but 40% feel more positive about the Tories now since Sunak took over.

🙂 how does this compare with Liz Truss v Starmer? Is it safe to assume Truss never enjoyed best PM lead with Opinium, before or during her honeymoon?
    She got to level pegging with Opinium 21st September just before the budget. I belueve she got a 4 point lead just after HMQ died with somebody
    thank you.

Why then did Opinium put Truss ahead, and level with Starmer? By the same amount Honeymooning Sunak ahead of Starmer, when other firms just weren’t doing that? Does This methodology extend swing back in these rating too, not just the Westminster poll? So where it says Starmer and Labour behind, it’s all swingback adjusted? Otherwise, assumption is this firm is out of kilter with rivals, so either ahead of or behind the game?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Then and now.

imageimage
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    Evening all :)

Denmark votes on Tuesday and Megafon have put another poll in the field from yesterday and today.

It's covered in detail here (in Danish which I know most of us can read):

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2022-10-29-ny-maaling-moderaterne-kan-drage-lettelsens-suk-indtil-videre-siger-politisk

The centre-left bloc has 47.6%, the centre-right 43% and the Moderates have 9.3%.

In terms of projected seats in the Folketing, the centre-left would have 83 seats, the centre-right 76 and the Moderates 16.

Lars Lokke Rasmussen, the Moderates leader, has made some controversial comments on pension funding and the party's lead candidate in West Jutland has said some silly things which may just keep the party under 10%.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

The coffee was common! My father's bedt friend's family used to drink it ca. 1965. I remember it from the label of the empire builder keeping up white person's standards with the help of the chap from a supposedly inferior race.

Though the old fashioned grocery 20 yards away would grind fresh beans whenever wanted - I can still smell them.
    My Dad used to drink it in the 80's.
    It wasn't till I moved to Canada that I discovered I actually liked coffee.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    Entirely off topic but has anyone watched the new Harry Enfield piss take ’The Love Box In Your Living Room’? It’s a fun mock history of the BBC but also a weirdly specific parody of Adam Curtis documentaries. Definitely worth a watch and had me in stitches at times.
  • Options

thank you.

Why then did Opinium put Truss ahead, and level with Starmer? By the same amount Honeymooning Sunak ahead of Starmer, when other firms just weren’t doing that? Does This methodology extend swing back in these rating too, not just the Westminster poll? So where it says Starmer and Labour behind, it’s all swingback adjusted? Otherwise, assumption is this firm is out of kilter with rivals, so either ahead of or behind the game?
    No idea on that score im afraid
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkably cool post.

appalling no doubt, but you got that 4 year no-income gap you gotta fill somehow.

Top tip: if you want to start a whisky distillery do gin too, because whisky has to be aged 3 years before you can legally sell it, gin does not.
    Ironic to think it's sloe to make whisky but not gin...
  • Options

Then and now.

imageimage

Mm, beginnign to wonder if my granny used it for mocha chocolate cakes in the 1930s-1960s, ie the days before instant coffee granules. Must fish out the recipe book and look next time I have a blitz.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    The Russian defence ministry has accused "British specialists" of participating in the drone attack on Sevastopol. I couldn't find the actual statement at the defence ministry's website, but it has been reported in TASS.

What is a "specialist"? Obviously it means someone who has the specialist knowledge required, but the term could cover both serving personnel and mercenaries, right?

What is the likely response from Russia?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkably cool post.

Compared to the horrid vinegary samples we got at ours (served in nasty shot glasses on a little tray), your hosts were probably doing you a favour!

Winemaking in the UK ain't easy. Reds especially can taste thin - especially as palates are used to the full bodied reds from Spain and the New World. Oddly (considering it's so flat) there's some amazing English wines that come from Norfolk; a vineyard called Winbirri.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    Scott_xP said:

Apparently although they do have some bushes in Cornwall, they don't grow enough to sell commercially, so their branded tea is actually "blended"
    There is Orkney tea though, from local bushes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-63388633
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Perhaps it's time to clean the cupboard out?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkably cool post.

I've been expecting the Gin bubble to burst for about fifteen years now, but no sign of it. Maybe it's bedded in for a generation.

It's not a bad fad as fads go, but I would like to get a double G&T in an ordinary glass in a pub without forking out £9 for a goblet and some overflavoured artisan wank.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

I knew a man who had two wives. It was a bit confusing as they were both called Amy.

But it was a bit easier as Wife No. 1 was only 5:4 so she was Little Amy. The other one was 6:1 so she was Big Amy.
    My cousin in Basildon has ten children, all called Billy. It saves her time when, for example, she has to call them in for dinner and she only has to call one name. Should she however just want one of them, she uses their surname.

It's ok, I know where my coat is.
    Sounds a bastard of a job...
  • Options

Then and now.

imageimage

For goodness sake. Give that South Asian chappy a seat at the table.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

My Dad used to drink it in the 80's.
    It wasn't till I moved to Canada that I discovered I actually liked coffee.
    The 1970s student equivalent was a particular brand of powdered instant coffee which I won't name as I don't want to hit OGH's pocket and it is still produced by a US multinational. I remmber one of my fellow students having the bright idea of buying a catering can - and watching him pouring it down the toilet, which had to be flushed repeatedly for many times before it stopped running brown.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

There was also the German one who adopted the whole Mormon belief kitty: dreipolig Amy.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

So wait. The Foreign Secretary's phone comprehensively hacked, apparently by a hostile foreign power.

And the Prime Minister and Cabinet Secretary agreed to cover it up so it didn't derail her chances of winning the race to be Prime Minister?

Have I misunderstood any of that?

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1586390623074111489?s=46&t=mb8HkQUvmfQLpnXmRWizTA

Certainly adds to Dom's suggestion that Boris wanted Liz to win because he knew she'd screw up royally and give him a chance of a comeback.
    Is Simon Case the worst Cabinet Secretary since records began?

It seems to be one bloody thing after another with this guy.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

There was also the German one who adopted the whole Mormon belief kitty: dreipolig Amy.
    Bet he wasn't dry for long...
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

The Russian defence ministry has accused "British specialists" of participating in the drone attack on Sevastopol. I couldn't find the actual statement at the defence ministry's website, but it has been reported in TASS.

What is a "specialist"? Obviously it means someone who has the specialist knowledge required, but the term could cover both serving personnel and mercenaries, right?

More impotent bluster?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

Perhaps it's time to clean the cupboard out?
    Only my mental one!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,432
    Very little on social media about the Korean tragedy considering the scale.

Stampedes seem to be a quite common source of mass mortality. Obviously Hillsborough, but the Haj seems to suffer from them too and every year or so there’s news of another fatal stampede somewhere. This one seems particularly awful though.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Modern one looks camp as fuck, and reminds me of Bowra's claim that buggery was invented to fill the gap between evensong and cocktails.
  • Options

Then and now.

imageimage

Table? You think we can afford to let the Army have tables? These two do not even have chairs to sit on!
  • Options

Then and now.

imageimage

That's brilliant.

I remember that bottle on the left from my childhood. I seem to remember too that the 'coffee' tasted terrible.

We were considered posh in my home because the coffee we drank was Maxwell House granules onto which we would pour boiling milk. I don't think I tasted real coffee until my first foreign holiday to Italy when I was fifteen. It seemed very exotic.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,969
    DJ41 said:

Wild rumours going around that the body of General Alexander Lapin has been fished out of a river in Moscow.

First reported on Ukrainian TV (24tv.ua - largely controlled by the wife of the mayor of Lvov), picked up by the Sun and Wikipedia.

Am struggling to think of a reason why the FSB might do that. Disappear him or suicide him in his residence, maybe.
    Pour encourager les autres
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“they do have some bushes in Cornwall“

Is this thread going to go all Polari now, from here?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkably cool post.

I don’t know why vine growers do this. Before they’re ready they can build up local support by doing tours of the vineyard then selling a neighbour’s wines. In fact there’s not enough of that kind of local collaboration which helps both parties.

As I mentioned I have 1 year old vines so won’t have wine to sell for at least another 5 or 6 years. In the meantime I am planning to work with the other growers in the valley to build up demand and tourist visibility (open days, potentially a cycle route, local vineyard map etc). May do some cobranded joint wines too, cooperative style.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Modern one looks camp as fuck, and remind's me of Bowra's claim that buggery was invented to fill the gap between evensong and cocktails.
    A friend of mine went to Wadham College Oxon where Bowra was warden. I visited and he showed me the Bowra statue there: [edit] I've never forgotten it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/7022983315
    https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/maurice-bowra-18981971-295822
  • Options

Then and now.

imageimage

Table? You think we can afford to let the Army have tables? These two do not even have chairs to sit on!
    I believe the things they are sitting on are technically pouffes?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The first flush, which I presume is pure, goes for £125/100g:

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/tregothnan-cornish-tea-first-flush-25g-2183694

You can have some of the best teas in the world for that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Then and now.

imageimage

Drums.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Then and now.

imageimage

I was thinking "Bales" because they look to be tied with rope.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

It's Bean and gone.
    I've Sean what you did there.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep. It’s all gone polari.

The night they served PB a camp coffee.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Then and now.

imageimage

There’s a plate of something. On something.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Modern one looks camp as fuck, and remind's me of Bowra's claim that buggery was invented to fill the gap between evensong and cocktails.
    A friend of mine went to Wadham College Oxon where Bowra was warden. I visited and he showed me the Bowra statue there: [edit] I've never forgotten it.

Golly. Haven't seen that.

He is of course the model for Samgrass in Brideshead Revisited.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    “British coffee”?

It's Bean and gone.
    I've Sean what you did there.
    Given that's pronounced 'shorn' that wasn't very Sharpe of you.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ohh-er missus. Slack Alice looked so at home sitting on it.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Tres said:

The Fox News clip is appalling. The trouble is the rot starts at the top.

I might have hoped Biden would try to unify. Instead, he has been as partial, if not more so, than Trump. Not a word from him to calm the nation after the Roe v Wade decision was leaked and a Supreme Court Judge saw a man charged with his attempted murder, because it didn't fit his narrative. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/09/politics/nicholas-john-roske-911-call-audio-brett-kavanaugh/index.html

There is no prospective president who looks likely to act to pull the nation together like presidents of the past as recently as George W Bush.

strange how it's always joe's fault
    Those accusing Biden of being as divisive as Trump are deluded and desperate to find both siderism when there is none . Biden has tried but there’s now no longer a way of trying to unite a country which is fractured beyond repair .

The GOP are a cancer on the USA . The majority of the party should be locked up for sedition.
    That second paragraph is remarkably healing and non-divisive

Stating facts isn’t divisive . Most of the GOP have peddled the big lie and are complicit in attempting to destroy USA democracy.

That’s what I’d call divisive .
    Calling one of the main parties in the US a “cancer” is hyperbolic nonsense.

Too many of them, unfortunately, support (or do not oppose) Trump and it may be that it will be difficult to save the institution. But there is no scenario in which your approach helps matters.

Condemn and prosecute the law breakers. Reach out to the others.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

Ooh, inne bold?

As they used to say when Hague and IDS were Conservative leaders.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Then and now.

imageimage

There’s a plate of something. On something.
    His busby perhaps? Maybe the servant ironed it flat in revenge for all those decades he had to stand there holding that tray.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkably cool post.

I've been expecting the Gin bubble to burst for about fifteen years now, but no sign of it. Maybe it's bedded in for a generation.

It's not a bad fad as fads go, but I would like to get a double G&T in an ordinary glass in a pub without forking out £9 for a goblet and some overflavoured artisan wank.
    Thing is, gin and tonic is very, very nice and was quite wrongly displaced by a glass of chardonnay in the mid to late 70s. Hopefully it is back for good. I do like to have negronis G&Ts and dry martinis at my fingertips when at home. Less so when out and about given the insultingly small measures.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,256
    DJ41 said:

Probably a return golf match at Royal St. Marks.

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨LATEST @OpiniumResearch / @ObserverUK poll🚨

Labour's lead drops from 27 points last week to 19 points over the Conservatives.

Con 28% (+5)
    Lab 44% (-6)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1) https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1586432684875829249/photo/1

Almost back to normal mid term polling…
    16 point not 19

Baxters to lab maj 102

8% other is presumably refuk
    Do Opinium still apply swing back?
    Yes. So the actual figures they got for a normal poll were probably like Tory 25% or less and Labour around 50%.
    Remember - no matter what Boris done at any point this year, this methodology had him no further behind than 4 or 5%.
    In other words, despite Trussterfuck polling collapse, only teeny honeymoon uptick for Sunak. 😮

So far. As PB has worked out events take 14 days to move polls.
    Rishi needs to earn the right to be heard. At the moment the Tories are not considered a serious party of government - think of the time it took Starmer to make some progress on that front
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Golly. Haven't seen that.

He is of course the model for Samgrass in Brideshead Revisited.
    Oh, I hadn't known that - interesting. On checking I find some other bons mots in Wiki, including - at last - the source for a story one of my friends told me after punting us through the open air nude swimming place:

"Buggers can't be choosers" (explaining his engagement, later called off, to a "plain" girl, poet and Somerville alumna Audrey Beecham, niece of the conductor)[69]

"I don't know about you, gentlemen, but in Oxford I, at least, am known by my face" (allegedly after being observed bathing naked at Parson's Pleasure and covering his face rather than his privates)[75]]
  • Options

carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

Ooh, inne bold?

As they used to say when Hague and IDS were Conservative leaders.
    I don’t know it, but If you want to start a tinkle on the ivory, I’m more than happy to join in.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Tres said:

The Fox News clip is appalling. The trouble is the rot starts at the top.

I might have hoped Biden would try to unify. Instead, he has been as partial, if not more so, than Trump. Not a word from him to calm the nation after the Roe v Wade decision was leaked and a Supreme Court Judge saw a man charged with his attempted murder, because it didn't fit his narrative. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/09/politics/nicholas-john-roske-911-call-audio-brett-kavanaugh/index.html

There is no prospective president who looks likely to act to pull the nation together like presidents of the past as recently as George W Bush.

strange how it's always joe's fault
    Those accusing Biden of being as divisive as Trump are deluded and desperate to find both siderism when there is none . Biden has tried but there’s now no longer a way of trying to unite a country which is fractured beyond repair .

The GOP are a cancer on the USA . The majority of the party should be locked up for sedition.
    That second paragraph is remarkably healing and non-divisive

Stating facts isn’t divisive . Most of the GOP have peddled the big lie and are complicit in attempting to destroy USA democracy.

That’s what I’d call divisive .
    Calling one of the main parties in the US a “cancer” is hyperbolic nonsense.

Too many of them, unfortunately, support (or do not oppose) Trump and it may be that it will be difficult to save the institution. But there is no scenario in which your approach helps matters.

Condemn and prosecute the law breakers. Reach out to the others.
    Biden has tried to do that by talking about MAGA. I think that’s the right distinction - the closest equivalent in the UK being talking about the Corbynistas - but of course the temptation to drag the party down with the ship is politically pretty irresistible. And to be fair plenty of supposedly moderate Republicans have played the MAGA card when they thought it would help them win primaries.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

The whole point about Goldfinger was he didn't bomb.
  • Options

I see Hunt is going 50/50 spending cuts to tax rises to plug the fiscal hole, as compared with Osborn’s 80/20 ratio.

What fiscal hole? Before you expect me to believe there is one, explain to me where it came from.

Was it there when Boris was PM, so his budget had to plug it? Was it mentioned at all by any candidate during long months of Tory hustings? So where and when did a fiscal hole appear? You know what caused it and when?
    It was always there, caused by over spending relative to tax take.

But it took Liz Truss to point this out to everyone
  • Options

Good question.

I believe it is partly the energy giveaway, and partly the downturn of the economy against previous projections.

A third element, the moron premium on debt following the Trussterfuck, seems to have dissipated.

But you raise a valid point, which is why the British government is opting once more for austerity, when all the evidence suggests that British growth is suppressed by (1) poor capital investment; (2) pulling out of the single market.

Rishi’s answers to (1) and (2) are, essentially, at odds with mainstream economic thinking, but nobody has yet noticed and in any case overwhelmed by the relief that we are no longer Trussing.
    I think you’re being unfair on (1). Rishi’s answer to that was to put up corporation tax but massively increase the tax shield for capital investments

• Options
    edited October 2022

DJ41 said:

This seems to be classic projection, with added anti-British paranoia. They’ve been hosting Iranians to help them work the drones, and it’s been all over the Western media, so the obvious counter is to imply the Brits (essentially the Western mirror image of Iran - a kind of anti-Iran) are at it too.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

I did not pay that much so I deduce I had blended.
  • Options
    All this talk of Camp Coffee has affected me, so I am just back from the kitchen and I have a nice steaming cup of green tea. And crumpets!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,972
    TimS said:

DJ41 said:

This seems to be classic projection, with added anti-British paranoia. They’ve been hosting Iranians to help them work the drones, and it’s been all over the Western media, so the obvious counter is to imply the Brits (essentially the Western mirror image of Iran - a kind of anti-Iran) are at it too.
    They obviously want to blame the West for internal messaging purposes but don't want to tug on Superman's cape by directly blaming the US.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

All this talk of Camp Coffee has affected me, so I am just back from the kitchen and I have a nice steaming cup of green tea. And crumpets!

Ooh - a crumpet! Top idea.....
  • Options
    So Boris is planning to attend Cop27. Is he doing a Ken Livingstone, rightful-ruler-in-exile thing?
  • Options
    To indulge the wine topic for just one more post, I’m just tucking in to a Trousseau from the cooperative in Arbois in the Jura. Bought the last time we visited France before Covid in December 2019 and sat gathering dust in the cellar since.

If you get the chance to try Trousseau it’s worth it. Obscure varieties are often obscure for a reason but not this one. It’s a true star. It’s hard to describe - kind of ripe blackberry and spicy orange peel. Same grape is called Bastardo in Madeira wines.
  • Options
    Liverpool ha! ha!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited October 2022

Good question.

I think you’re being unfair on (1). Rishi’s answer to that was to put up corporation tax but massively increase the tax shield for capital investments

Yes, ok. A half mark.
    But he doesn’t seem to believe in public capital investment, per his Mais speech (and his record in office).
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    So, how long has Klopp got left?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Labour's lead drops from 27 points last week to 19 points over the Conservatives.

Con 28% (+5)
    Lab 44% (-6)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1) https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1586432684875829249/photo/1

16 point not 19

Baxters to lab maj 102

Yes. So the actual figures they got for a normal poll were probably like Tory 25% or less and Labour around 50%.
    Remember - no matter what Boris done at any point this year, this methodology had him no further behind than 4 or 5%.
    In other words, despite Trussterfuck polling collapse, only teeny honeymoon uptick for Sunak. 😮

Rishi needs to earn the right to be heard. At the moment the Tories are not considered a serious party of government - think of the time it took Starmer to make some progress on that front
    It sounds like you think that’s how politics works, a way where voters are always fair, Everyone gets consideration they deserve? then Think where Starmer would still be now if the Tories were still being listened to - because Starmer was just 5% ahead of Truss with tonight’s pollster, he actually went up, a lot, when the Tories went down for crashing economy is the truth. But they didn’t actually crash the economy, everyone had a mad fortnight treating everyday as black Wednesday, where was the fairness you think exists if the Starmergasm endures?

Do voters need to heed Sunak, or the Tories, again? that’s the point I’m making. To Start with the question is Truss month the new Black Wednesday, so voters have stopped listening to Tory’s, all of them. even after the swap out to Sunak. Or put another way, just how strong and stable is the Starmergasm?

In my opinion that’s the only thing to do with polling right now, start with the right questions before interrogating them, and I think these are the right questions.
  • Options
    Lol, have some of that Pool
  • Options
    Klopp....Sacked in the morning, sacked in the morning......
  • Options
    Tres said:

I seem to recall some talk about how tiring Klopps system and style is for the players. They buy in, it works for a few seasons, but ultimately it's knackering. So probably needs constant refreshing if the squad.
    Fergie built three or possibly four great teams over the years at United. Klopp needs to start on the next one, if he gets the chance.
  • Options

Tres said:

I seem to recall some talk about how tiring Klopps system and style is for the players. They buy in, it works for a few seasons, but ultimately it's knackering. So probably needs constant refreshing if the squad.
    Fergie built three or possibly four great teams over the years at United. Klopp needs to start on the next one, if he gets the chance.
    One of the least talked about aspects of Fergie regime at Man Utd was not only did they refresh players, but also the coaches who were providing the tactical know how.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Con 28% (+5)
    Lab 44% (-6)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)

16 point not 19

Baxters to lab maj 102

It sounds like you think that’s how politics works, a way where voters are always fair, Everyone gets consideration they deserve? then Think where Starmer would still be now if the Tories were still being listened to - because Starmer was just 5% ahead of Truss with tonight’s pollster, he actually went up, a lot, when the Tories went down for crashing economy is the truth. But they didn’t actually crash the economy, everyone had a mad fortnight treating everyday as black Wednesday, where was the fairness you think exists if the Starmergasm endures?

Do voters need to heed Sunak, or the Tories, again? that’s the point I’m making. To Start with the question is Truss month the new Black Wednesday, so voters have stopped listening to Tory’s, all of them. even after the swap out to Sunak. Or put another way, just how strong and stable is the Starmergasm?

In my opinion that’s the only thing to do with polling right now, start with the right questions before interrogating them, and I think these are the right questions.
    You are asking the right questions but reaching the wrong conclusions.

Your view appears to be that Rishi is not making immediate progress and therefore the Tories are doomed. My view is that the population aren’t listening at the moment - they may be doomed but may also recover in time. They don’t have that much time however
  • Options
    Tres said:

They are labouring to score from open play. There’s mistakes creeping in for the goals. But Klopp tweaked game plan two weeks back and it clearly backfired, even with the win against Man City, it doesn’t look like Liverpool. They are not pressing or transitioning as quickly now as they were at their best.

He should have stuck to the game plan, just stopped fielding old legs in midfield to do the pressing and transitioning. Bellingham should be there already.

Apart from that I don’t think much is wrong, what I have just described, old legs in midfield, has been the difference between scoring first and opponents scoring first. Top 4 sides need more surgery in transfer windows quicker than Liverpool have been doing it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    ydoethur said:

So wait. The Foreign Secretary's phone comprehensively hacked, apparently by a hostile foreign power.

And the Prime Minister and Cabinet Secretary agreed to cover it up so it didn't derail her chances of winning the race to be Prime Minister?

Have I misunderstood any of that?

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1586390623074111489?s=46&t=mb8HkQUvmfQLpnXmRWizTA

Their answer when asked will be 'I don't recall.'
    I recall reading an article where some people who worked on State Department security said that the only Secretary that had truly taken device security seriously, and hadn't asked for any rule bending, was Condoleezza Rice. Of course she was a specialist on the Soviet Union so she probably knew what the beggers were up to.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Con 28% (+5)
    Lab 44% (-6)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)

16 point not 19

Baxters to lab maj 102

You are asking the right questions but reaching the wrong conclusions.

Your view appears to be that Rishi is not making immediate progress and therefore the Tories are doomed. My view is that the population aren’t listening at the moment - they may be doomed but may also recover in time. They don’t have that much time however
    We are sort of on the same page, because you have summed up my view perfectly. “ Your view appears to be that Rishi is not making immediate progress and therefore the Tories are doomed.” My view is we learn a lot about the next GE result in the next 6 weeks - a limp honeymoon, a sub 30% average for November does spell election trouble. My reasoning based on the historic precedent where fag end governments are not listened to, not fairly listened to as I think your view suggests, don’t get fair do’s for things like economy picking up. Limp Sunak honeymoon strong suggests fag end indifference from electorate.
  • Options

Tres said:

We are all posting the same ballpark analysis of this.

I don’t want to see Klopp sacked. I want the owners to give Klopp new midfielders like Bellingham like, already by now.

PS Leeds still going down.
  • Options

Tres said:

I don’t want to see Klopp sacked. I want the owners to give Klopp new midfielders like Bellingham like, already by now.

Leeds won't go down. There are three worse teams.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    "Rishi Sunak to stamp out 'woke' policing
    Ministers are studying the example of a no-nonsense chief who overhauled the failing Greater Manchester Police" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/29/rishi-sunak-stamp-woke-policing/
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    Betting post

Three of today's Brazilian poll reports are now in. Blanks etc. disregarded.

Atlas, 26-29 Oct
    7500 sample
    Lula 53.4 (+0.5)
    Bolsonaro 46.6 (-0.5)

CNT/MDA, 26-28 Oct
    2002 sample
    Lula 51.1 (-2.4)
    Bolsonaro 48.9 (+2.4)

Parana Pesquisas, 26-28 Oct
    2400 sample
    Lula 50.4 (-0.9)
    Bolsonaro 49.6 (+0.9)

The final TV debate was held in the evening yesterday, 28 Oct.
    Three more polls remain to come out today.

Betfair: Lula 1.47, Bolsonaro 3.1

• Bolsonaro seems to be holding in there.
    • Dunno how much of the polling was conducted after the debate.
    • Anecdata: intending Lula voters are highly motivated.
    • More anecdata: hardly any Tebet voters will vote Bolsonaro.
    • Not sure what the Lula campaign is doing today on "social" media. Bolsonaro's "I hope I get elected to Congress" at the end of the TV debate looked terrible to me, but I'm not Brazilian. Is the Lula campaign making much of this?
    • Despite this error, Bolsonaro looks a lot younger and fitter than Lula.
  • Options

Tres said:

Leeds won't go down. There are three worse teams.
    If we play the way we did tonight, against Chelsea and, despite losing against Arsenal versus the dross teams will be fine but we are playing dross against dross
This discussion has been closed.