Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is she going to survive 2023? – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,540

Of course she will be.

But how ridiculous claiming that reversing tax rises so t hat tax is back at levels they were at the last election is going against the manifesto. Erm, what was it the manifesto said about tax last time?

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1202879393313574912

Wanting people on low and middle incomes to keep more of their money does not remotely go against the manifesto.

How ridiculous is saying “ We find that planned tax cuts with stalling economic growth would leave debt on an unsustainable path”?

What is unsustainable debt?

As one of PBs most astute right wing thinkers Bart, is borrowing on this scale today certain going to mean higher taxes in future?
    Its utterly ridiculous, the IFS is a joke with that statement.

No it won't mean higher taxes in the future. More growth from lower taxes means more revenues in the future, because the economy has grown and there's more revenues from that.

Plus as I alluded to before, inflation is actually our friend not our foe when it comes to debt to GDP when debt is running at 100% of GDP. Yes we have a deficit, but our debt is being deflated by 9.8% per annum as it stands. Nobody wants to say that out loud at the moment, because everyone is too shit scared of the past to admit the simple truth that there are upsides to having inflation and deflating debt is one of them. Nobody wants to admit that actually a bit of inflation is good for the Treasury, because its the dirty little secret.
    You may disagree with the IFS. I kinda think they have more expertise in this area. You need a large amount of growth for tax revenues from that growth to make up the loss of tax revenue. Rees-Mogg is trumpeting Reagan’s tax cuts on Newsnight, but doesn’t mention the huge growth in the country’s debt he caused.

A bit of inflation is good for the Treasury, but high inflation is not good for most people. Do you think Truss will win an election on the back of 10% inflation?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Does Liz have any ideas for anyone under the age of 90 yet

Yes, make them pay for everyone over the age of 90.
    Keeping house prices high by reducing stamp duty eventually means those who inherit will inherit more wealth!

Everyone else pretty buggered though.

At this point, I will vote for literally any party - Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, Green, Reform, Monster Raving Loony, even the Natural Law Party or UKIP if either of them are still around, if they stand on a five word manifesto - "We will build more houses".

I have friends living in AirBnBs because they can't even find anywhere to rent any more.

It is no longer merely the elephant in the room, it is the whole stampede.
    Seems it is coming in friday statement with designated areas overruling planning restrictions and providing tax incentives

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/21/liz-truss-rip-green-planning-laws-bid-kickstart-housebuilding/
    Every few years the government comes up with a plan to 'rip up planning laws', usually in combination to with something about 'enterprise zones'.

It is an idea that the audience like, the government take credit for it, then nothing happens to implement it, then it is forgotten, and after a couple of years then it is announced again. It has gone on like this in a pointless cycle for at least 20 years.

And this may well be different as Truss is a very determined politician in a hurry
    None of our previous PMs were determined at any point in the last 20 years?
    Maybe not quite as much as Truss and no matter how one views her she has got the conservative party back in the debate and moved on from Johnson

It could all succeed or go very wrong and I have no idea personally as these are incredibly dangerous and uncertain times for everyone with no immediate answers in sight
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Keeping house prices high by reducing stamp duty eventually means those who inherit will inherit more wealth!

At this point, I will vote for literally any party - Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, Green, Reform, Monster Raving Loony, even the Natural Law Party or UKIP if either of them are still around, if they stand on a five word manifesto - "We will build more houses".

I have friends living in AirBnBs because they can't even find anywhere to rent any more.

Seems it is coming in friday statement with designated areas overruling planning restrictions and providing tax incentives

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/21/liz-truss-rip-green-planning-laws-bid-kickstart-housebuilding/
    That to me looks like she is building the houses where it’s political convenient rather than essential
    She is a politician that many seem to have written off after 2 weeks

She may just surprise many and certainly being ahead 40% to 33% of Starmer in the red wall seats is a surprise
    She did not burst out of an egg 2 weeks ago.
    To many she did, figuratively speaking

I do wonder how much the energy companies individual letters being sent to all consumers affirming the government support including the £400 discount from October, the additional £650 payments and the £600 winter fuel allowance payment to pensioners is influencing some opinion
    Is it making much difference?
    I do not know - I was suggesting something that could
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Every few years the government comes up with a plan to 'rip up planning laws', usually in combination to with something about 'enterprise zones'.

It is an idea that the audience like, the government take credit for it, then nothing happens to implement it, then it is forgotten, and after a couple of years then it is announced again. It has gone on like this in a pointless cycle for at least 20 years.

And this may well be different as Truss is a very determined politician in a hurry
    Sorry to disappoint you and @kyf_100. But no one in the industry is expecting anything to happen. It is reheating of the same ideas we have heard before, they sound good but are undeliverable.

Robert Jenrick tried to seriously change the planning system following orders from No.10 (Cummings) and it just led to a mutiny of Conservative MP's and was a major contributory factor in the decline of Boris Johnson.

The only answer to all of this is the Labour party adopting a policy of building houses in the London Green Belt , why don't they do this? It is bizarre. The Green Belt is largely conservative or lib dem anyway.

All Development Is Evul - Verse 1, Chapter 1, Green Bible

The fact that restricting house building is institutionally racist is just extra comedy.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Call it 6-10 months to come up with some details to any proposals, some pre-consultation or consultation, the shires hate it and a by-election is lost because of it, then we're about a year out from an election and they decide it can wait until afterwards.
    Yeah thats it. The tories usually lose the by-election to the Lib dems. But on reflection, every single party is guilty of stirring up localised anti housebuilding feeling to win elections. It is a pathological problem with English politics.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

That to me looks like she is building the houses where it’s political convenient rather than essential

She may just surprise many and certainly being ahead 40% to 33% of Starmer in the red wall seats is a surprise
    Isn't that lead entirely down to having a role in Queen's mourning and funeral?
    I know I keep saying this - but it is a shock to hear a PM with a northern accent. There hasn't been one in my lifetime. I don't want to overreact to this - but Johnson, May, Cameron, Blair, Major, Thatcher: none of them sounded, to my ears, particularly relatable. Nor does Starmer, and nor did Corbyn, Miliband or Duncan Smith, come to that. (Hague had a nothern accent, but a weird one. Oddly, Michael Howard's voice didn't make him sound like someone from somewhere entirely different in the same way, to my ears at least. And ditto Gordon Brown's voice, although his rather agressive delivery undid any of that.) You didn't automatically take against them because of their voice, but they didn't sound like anyone you knew. Liz does.
    This is an entirely personal view, and is far from the key criterion for choosing a PM - but perhaps that might have a bit to do with why she is doing well in the red wall.
    She has a northern accent?

I spent the first eight years of my life in the NW and then later three years in Leeds and I don't hear a northern accent.

Perhaps thats just me.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

None of our previous PMs were determined at any point in the last 20 years?
    Maybe not quite as much as Truss and no matter how one views her she has got the conservative party back in the debate and moved on from Johnson

The second part is a complete non sequiter. It doesn't matter if the party is 'back in the debate' or 'moved on from Johnson', the issue is whether she has the stomach to push for major planning reforms, and if those reforms will actually achieve anything if they are enacted.

Obviously the details will be looked at closely, but for one darkage has pointed out what happened last time, when the government was actually being viewed more favourably and had more political capital to attempt a change, and her own comments about planning have been pretty contradictory. I don't think unfair to glean from that that she has no idea what to do, so will try a rehash of old ideas and come against the same problems.

People don't need to 'just wait' for the details to weigh in, based on past experience and trailed announcements. That's why they trail stuff, so it can be assessed. They key is simply to note the announcement when it comes and be prepared to change one's mind if it surprises.
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Sorry to disappoint you and @kyf_100. But no one in the industry is expecting anything to happen. It is reheating of the same ideas we have heard before, they sound good but are undeliverable.

Robert Jenrick tried to seriously change the planning system following orders from No.10 (Cummings) and it just led to a mutiny of Conservative MP's and was a major contributory factor in the decline of Boris Johnson.

The only answer to all of this is the Labour party adopting a policy of building houses in the London Green Belt , why don't they do this? It is bizarre. The Green Belt is largely conservative or lib dem anyway.

Maybe wait to hear the details on Friday
  • Options

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes. But as Blair used to say he would pull the levers of government and then nothing would happen.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Call it 6-10 months to come up with some details to any proposals, some pre-consultation or consultation, the shires hate it and a by-election is lost because of it, then we're about a year out from an election and they decide it can wait until afterwards.
    Yeah thats it. The tories usually lose the by-election to the Lib dems. But on reflection, every single party is guilty of stirring up localised anti housebuilding feeling to win elections. It is a pathological problem with English politics.
    The further down you get locally the more indistinguishable parties become.

That's not to say the individuals are bad, many are hard working and do the best they can with whatever powers they have, and on national issues they remain poles apart. But on local issues they either have little scope to change things, constrained by national policy, so have few options to differentiate, or they are, naturally, so locally focused they have identical views anyway.
  • Options

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes. But as Blair used to say he would pull the levers of government and then nothing would happen.
    Blair came in with no experience of government. Truss has spent a decade as a minister, so she ought to be in a better position to operate those levers.
  • Options

The Conservative Party: pro earthquakes, pro the causes of earthquakes.

Labour: tough on earthquakes, tough on the causes of earthquakes.
  • Options

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Anyway time to call it a day

No doubt some will stay up to listen to Truss live at the UN at 2.00am but I will be content to hear the reports of her speech in the media tomorrow

Good night folks
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

I know I keep saying this - but it is a shock to hear a PM with a northern accent. There hasn't been one in my lifetime. I don't want to overreact to this - but Johnson, May, Cameron, Blair, Major, Thatcher: none of them sounded, to my ears, particularly relatable. Nor does Starmer, and nor did Corbyn, Miliband or Duncan Smith, come to that. (Hague had a nothern accent, but a weird one. Oddly, Michael Howard's voice didn't make him sound like someone from somewhere entirely different in the same way, to my ears at least. And ditto Gordon Brown's voice, although his rather agressive delivery undid any of that.) You didn't automatically take against them because of their voice, but they didn't sound like anyone you knew. Liz does.
    This is an entirely personal view, and is far from the key criterion for choosing a PM - but perhaps that might have a bit to do with why she is doing well in the red wall.

I spent the first eight years of my life in the NW and then later three years in Leeds and I don't hear a northern accent.

Perhaps thats just me.

She has a weird staccato voice that randomly accents words.
  • Options

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

It may be but I expect her tax cuts will be popular and she answers questions direct unlike Johnson
    Fracking isn’t popular. Mega-bonuses for bankers aren’t popular. Inflation isn’t popular. Even with help for energy costs, the increased cost of energy and from inflation in general is going to be greater than the tax cuts people receive. I think the polls are more likely to go down than up for the Tories.
  • Options

Both John McCain's grandfather and father were four-star admirals, and both served in World War II.

I don't know how such a family background would affect a man's career in the Royal Navy, but I have often thought that, in the US Navy, it might help explain McCain's rebelliousness.

Like McCain, George H. W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld were naval aviators, one of the most dangerous jobs in the US military.

And George McGovern was a USAAF bomber pilot, flew 35 combat missions; upon returning from his final mission, his plane had over 100 holes and a wounded gunner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McGovern
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Labour has a vested interest in having as few home owners as possible. The more people rent or live in council housing, the more likely they are to vote Labour. The more people own property, the more likely they are to vote Conservative.

That being said even the Tories should focus new housing in brownbelt land as far as possible, while some greenbelt land may not really come under the term and could be used for development, London also needs its green lung
  • Options
    Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

'appen, lad.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps thats just me.

Poundshop Theresa May.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Also, whilst new plans are workshopped, amended, and dropped, people get angrier and angrier at local officials who have to keep applying the old rules that the government keeps saying is awful, but hasn't meaningully changed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

The further down you get locally the more indistinguishable parties become.

That's not to say the individuals are bad, many are hard working and do the best they can with whatever powers they have, and on national issues they remain poles apart. But on local issues they either have little scope to change things, constrained by national policy, so have few options to differentiate, or they are, naturally, so locally focused they have identical views anyway.
    The resources consumed in debating local planning issues (be this planning applications or local plans), with such little output, is a national tragedy.
  • Options

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps thats just me.

Neither do I.

I do, however, hear, very clearly, a thunderous torrent of bullshit.
  • Options

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Blair came in with no experience of government. Truss has spent a decade as a minister, so she ought to be in a better position to operate those levers.
    "Ought to be" being the operative phrase above.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Person on Times radio today suggesting that about 20% in Russia are pro-war, 20% anti-war and 60% in the middle. Now if you ask those 60% I'm sure most would say they support Putin's actions for obvious reasons. My guess is that a lot of Russians simply want to avoid talking about or thinking about whether the war is a good thing.
  • Options

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

"I was elected as Tony Blair. I will govern as Liz Truss!"
  • Options

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

"Ought to be" being the operative phrase above.
    The decade of experience has enabled her to identify the infiltration of anti-semites in the civil service, though she seems curiously unkeen to follow up on removing them after stating it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW - BEIS Sec Rees Mogg tells Newsnight that current seismic limits on fracking will be reviewed https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1572688884856659971

Truss I get, she's a Lib Dem sleeper and knows the only way to LD success is to destroy the Tory party forever.

Mogg I'm unsure about - is he also out to destroy the Tories or is he just stupid?
    He's stupid.

Despite our jokes about politicians that is actually pretty rare.

Never forget, Boris did not trust him with a real job.
    What exactly are the parts of his answer that you find so risible? The limit of seismic events within the current fracking regulations effectively prohibits fracking from happening. The Government is ruling in fracking, so clearly those limits must be revised.

Glibly ascribing a lack of intelligence in others is, for want of a better word, a pretty stupid thing to do.
  • Options

Person on Times radio today suggesting that about 20% in Russia are pro-war, 20% anti-war and 60% in the middle. Now if you ask those 60% I'm sure most would say they support Putin's actions for obvious reasons. My guess is that a lot of Russians simply want to avoid talking about or thinking about whether the war is a good thing.

I was drinking in a bar in Riga the other day, with Russians (one was currently resident in Dublin). The bar owner was Ukrainian, from Odesa. "Don't mention the war" seemed to be the order of the day.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW - BEIS Sec Rees Mogg tells Newsnight that current seismic limits on fracking will be reviewed https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1572688884856659971

Truss I get, she's a Lib Dem sleeper and knows the only way to LD success is to destroy the Tory party forever.

Mogg I'm unsure about - is he also out to destroy the Tories or is he just stupid?
    He's stupid.

What exactly are the parts of his answer that you find so risible? The limit of seismic events within the current fracking regulations effectively prohibits fracking from happening. The Government is ruling in fracking, so clearly those rules must be revised.

Glibly ascribing a lack of intelligence in others is, for want of a better word, a pretty stupid thing to do.
    I wasn't speaking to this example, I was answering the direct question of whether he is stupid, which he most definitely is. For one, he frequently invents his own constitutional principles and expects people to not object to that, or notice the absurdity of his claims of legal understanding because he has a posh accent. He did it when May won her VONC (and took the exact opposite approach when Boris faced one), he did it when Boris was ousted, inventing a new presidential system for the UK in the process.

I don't accuse politicians of being stupid lightly, in fact I have gone out of my way many times to say that despite appearances most of them are pretty smart and able people, genuinely impressive even if our political culture does not make it easy to express that, so you are barking up the wrong tree if you think I do it glibly.

I'm also in favour of fracking in general, though it seems more a gesture than a viable prospect if rcs1000 is correct, so you're also wrong if you think I call him stupid because he supports it.

I call him stupid because his words and actions demonsrate he is. Most other politicians, even ones who make gaffes, I cannot say that.
  • Options

darkage said:

FWIW Labour gets its votes down here partly from being the emphatically pro-new homes party. As the portfolio holder for housing strategy I'm bemused that after years of opposing housing on greenfield, the Tories are now trying to whip up opposition to building houses on a large carpark, one even describing it as a "beautiful" feature - there is literally a "save the carpark" campaign, even though not a single parking space would be lost (we want to convert it to a multi-story, creating space for new affordable homes).
    This is so typical of the type of idiotic debate that happens. To be fair, Labour are generally probably the best party for supporting housing delivery, but I've seen even the best politicians give in to the type of campaign you describe. There's just something weird where people hate housebuilding and development in England, viewing it as a type of lightning rod for everything that is wrong with society.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps thats just me.

It's a bit Estuary. According to her Wikipedia biog she was a councillor in SE London 1998-2010.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

'appen, lad.

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps thats just me.

Poundshop Theresa May.

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

'appen, lad.
    Worra great northern lass !

Get thee out of ma sight with ya southern waffling ! Chip butter wi'scraps !
  • Options

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

It may be but I expect her tax cuts will be popular and she answers questions direct unlike Johnson
    Fracking isn’t popular. Mega-bonuses for bankers aren’t popular. Inflation isn’t popular. Even with help for energy costs, the increased cost of energy and from inflation in general is going to be greater than the tax cuts people receive. I think the polls are more likely to go down than up for the Tories.
    Yes, It does seem as if Friday is going to be a suicide note, albeit a little shorter than Labours 1983 manifesto.

I shall pocket the tax cuts, rub my hands at the prospect of developing my paddock, and vote anyone but Tory.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

He's stupid.

What exactly are the parts of his answer that you find so risible? The limit of seismic events within the current fracking regulations effectively prohibits fracking from happening. The Government is ruling in fracking, so clearly those rules must be revised.

I wasn't speaking to this example, I was answering the direct question of whether he is stupid, which he most definitely is. For one, he frequently invents his own constitutional principles and expects people to not object to that, or notice the absurdity of his claims of legal understanding because he has a posh accent. He did it when May won her VONC (and took the exact opposite approach when Boris faced one), he did it when Boris was ousted, inventing a new presidential system for the UK in the process.

I don't accuse politicians of being stupid lightly, in fact I have gone out of my way many times to say that despite appearances most of them are pretty smart and able people, genuinely impressive even if our political culture does not make it easy to express that, so you are barking up the wrong tree if you think I do it glibly.

I'm also in favour of fracking in general, though it seems more a gesture than a viable prospect if rcs1000 is correct, so you're also wrong if you think I call him stupid because he supports it.

I call him stupid because his words and actions demonsrate he is. Most other politicians, even ones who make gaffes, I cannot say that.
    Clearly his behaviour has angered you, and there's inconsistency in the arguments that he has deployed in favour of or against politicians that he has supported or opposed. That does not make him stupid.

I feel that you're so mild-mannered that you've decided to have a strong opinion on something, and Jacob Rees Mogg's stupidity was the one you came up with that would find the most agreement.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I don't think Liz really cares for the north too much, except for using it for fake stories of struggle, such as her "sink" comprehensive which wasn't.

She might tried to subtly re-northern her accent around the edges a bit, certainly that's plausible..
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

He's stupid.

Clearly his behaviour has angered you, and there's inconsistency in the arguments that he has deployed in favour of or against politicians that he has supported or opposed. That does not make him stupid.

I feel that you're so mild-mannered that you've decided to have a strong opinion on something, and Jacob Rees Mogg's stupidity was the one you came up with that would find the most agreement.
    If Rees-Mogg being stupid is an idea that attracts so much agreement, maybe that’s because it’s an accurate assessment?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

That's fine until they come for the sons of the 60%....then you are soon looking at 80-20.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    darkage said:

darkage said:

FWIW Labour gets its votes down here partly from being the emphatically pro-new homes party. As the portfolio holder for housing strategy I'm bemused that after years of opposing housing on greenfield, the Tories are now trying to whip up opposition to building houses on a large carpark, one even describing it as a "beautiful" feature - there is literally a "save the carpark" campaign, even though not a single parking space would be lost (we want to convert it to a multi-story, creating space for new affordable homes).
    This is so typical of the type of idiotic debate that happens. To be fair, Labour are generally probably the best party for supporting housing delivery, but I've seen even the best politicians give in to the type of campaign you describe. There's just something weird where people hate housebuilding and development in England, viewing it as a type of lightning rod for everything that is wrong with society.
    There wasn't any objection in our last local development plan to building several hundred houses. Just concern that they needed to be located with access to the main road. It has kept our school, sports clubs and shops going.

Building houses is not a struggle with local residents if their legitimate concerns are listened to. Our councillors (LD) were keen on development, it was just a matter of negotiating where.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

Impressed that people need to keep saying that Russia is banning males 18 to 65 from leaving the country. The average male life expectancy in Russia is just over 66 years. We are talking about almost all living Russian males here.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1572694988961771522

Life expectancy AT BIRTH, just imagine how stupid you would have to be to make this mistake

Two thirds of Russians are 15-64

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271344/age-distribution-in-russia/#:~:text=In 2021, about 18.49 percent,over 65 years of age

You could have made that point in a nice way, Ishmael. If everyone is stupid who doesn't know something you know, what are you when someone else knows stuff you don't?

I doubt the Russian army will be drafting many guys in their early 60s.

On a lighter note, at least in Russia a man won't be counted as a woman just because he says he feels he is one. That said, whether a man who did self-identify as female in an effort to avoid the draft would be welcome in the army is another matter.
    But it is not a closely guarded secret that life expectancy at birth is life expectancy at, you know, birth, and distorted by failure to make it to first birthday.
    True, but you are frequently needlessly unpleasant, for reasons known only to yourself.

And you are the greatest aftertimer in the history of PB. You were at it again the other day. I have been predicting for years that KCIII would take that regnal name, your absolutely first pronouncement on the subject was after he had done so, and was on the lines of lol @ the bedwetters who thought he wouldn't.

Mind you when you try to make actual predictions we get epoch defining bellyflops on the lines of WH2020. So I do see where you are coming from.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Completely off-topic: the things people allegedly do to cheat at chess! World champion Magnus Carlsen resigned on Monday after playing only a single move against Hans Niemann, whom he has played only once before and who unexpectedly beat him. Niemann has been accused (although not by Carlsen as far as I am aware) of cheating by using beads stuck up his bum.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dynamo said:

Completely off-topic: the things people allegedly do to cheat at chess! World champion Magnus Carlsen resigned on Monday after playing only a single move against Hans Niemann, whom he has played only once before and who unexpectedly beat him. Niemann has been accused (although not by Carlsen as far as I am aware) of cheating by using beads stuck up his bum.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/20/carlsen-v-niemann-the-cheating-row-that-is-rocking-chess-explained

Riveting stuff
  • Options
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

He's stupid.

That's one explanation - that I've arbitrarily and uncharacteristically decided to be firm on the subject of Jacob Rees-Mogg's intellect for no apparent reason.

Or, I really do think his actions show him to be stupid, and can demonstrate that it is not because I automatically oppose his political opinions (I also agreed with him on the pointlessness of many diversity officer roles, though not for the same reasons as him I expect). His was the one inexplicable appointment from Truss, since she could easily find someone with similar views without his caricatured demeanour and negative perception - and that does matter, as Michael Gove, an effective minister by many accounts (such as Dr Palmer), could tell us.

If I wanted to find something which would garner the most agreement I'd stick to bashing Corbyn - JRM still has at least some people who like him.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

I may regret this, but I need a little more detail as to how that method assisted him, and how anyone found out about it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/20/carlsen-v-niemann-the-cheating-row-that-is-rocking-chess-explained

Riveting stuff
    "One theory doing the rounds on the internet, popularised by Elon Musk, is that Niemann used vibrating anal beads to help him."

Is Musk speaking from experience?

Wording of that sentence a bit odd; "him" rather than "himself" MIGHT indicated that Elon believes Niemann was helping Elon? How? Maybe winning a chess bet?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

Riveting stuff
    It is trickier over the board where players are often scanned beforehand for electric devices. That doesn’t mean it is not possible, however. Perhaps the most high-profile case involved the French players Sébastien Feller, Arnaud Hauchard and Cyril Marzolo, who were found guilty of cheating at the 2010 Chess Olympiad. The elaborate scheme involved Marzolo analysing the games of Feller on the internet, before sending suggestions to Hauchard by SMS. He then relayed them to Feller by standing behind one of the other players’ tables in a predefined coded system, where each table represented a move to play. In 2019, Feller was given a six-month suspended prison sentence for his behaviour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

I may regret this, but I need a little more detail as to how that method assisted him, and how anyone found out about it.
    Apparently alleged that some third party was using a radio transmitter or suchlike to signal the player via the "embedded" device to play such and such a move, based on computer analysis?

Possible "tell" being when your opponent suddenly leaps from his chair and shouts "wa-hoo!" (Rather than "eureka!")
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dynamo said:

Apparently alleged that some third party was using a radio transmitter or suchlike to signal the player via the "embedded" device to play such and such a move, based on computer analysis?

Possible "tell" being when your opponent suddenly leaps from his chair and shouts "wa-hoo!" (Rather than "eureka!")
    One cock for yes, 2 cocks for no.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Brown deals with a lot of the myths and the fantasies that the energy price cap is going to deal with the tsunami of hardship coming up. His estimates that food banks are soon going to be dealing with starvation rather than malnourishment also back up the sorts of things I've been hearing from my two friends on the Trussell Trust.

A further two to five million children in poverty is also a plausible estimate, unless the course is changed. We are heading back to 1930s and 40s levels of hardship.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/21/liz-truss-cost-of-living-poverty-gordon-brown
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,172

Brown deals with a lot of the myths and the fantasies that the energy price cap is going to deal with the tsunami of hardship coming up. His estimates that food banks are soon going to be dealing with starvation rather than malnourishment also back up the sorts of things I've been hearing from my two friends on the Trussell Trust.

A further two to five million children in poverty is also a plausible estimate, unless the course is changed. We are heading back to 1930s and 40s levels of hardship.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/21/liz-truss-cost-of-living-poverty-gordon-brown

800g of white bread at Lidl costs 36p, and contains 2100 calories. Malnutrition it might cause. Starvation it does not.
  • Options

Cookie said:

eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps thats just me.

Some of us hear a southern accent, no if or buts, and I don't mean Foxbar*.

*southern neigbourhood in Paisley.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

That's what I call an endgame.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

800g of white bread at Lidl costs 36p, and contains 2100 calories. Malnutrition it might cause. Starvation it does not.
    It doesn't work like this. Inflation has not just been in food.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited September 2022

I don't think Liz really cares for the north too much, except for using it for fake stories of struggle, such as her "sink" comprehensive which wasn't.

She might tried to subtly re-northern her accent around the edges a bit, certainly that's plausible..

Amongst all the posh sods speaking at the funeral, Liz Truss accent stood out - and I liked it. She’s Yorkshire alright. It’s good that common uneducated people with an accent can get right up the greasy pole in politics, it gives me hope.

She sure ain’t gifted in any great intelligence though. My dad calls her a villager, and that’s strong language by his standards.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884

Dynamo said:

Bit of an escalation from signalling via yoghurt flavours...

Magnus is done it seems. He always seemed relatively normal for a chess player but has been a bit less so recently. Perhaps he needs to retire before he ends up like Fischer did.

• Options

Dynamo said:

Bit of an escalation from signalling via yoghurt flavours...

Magnus is done it seems. He always seemed relatively normal for a chess player but has been a bit less so recently. Perhaps he needs to retire before he ends up like Fischer did.

Appears to be an occupational hazard for grand masters.

Just read up on Paul Morphy, first great American chess master and greatest in the world in 1850s; infant prodigy, astounding first his native New Orleans, second the rest of America, last the masters and their fans in Europe. Quit the game in his late twenties, never did much of anything else except get crazy, go mad, and died an early death. And remains a legend.

Needless to say, he was Irish at heart with a Latin soul And a mind like a super-calculator.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    The Senate Leadership Fund, McConnell's Super PAC has just pulled a $10m ad buy in Arizona, but is spending a staggering $27m in Ohio.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843

Sandpit said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Another 75bps from the Fed. That won’t go down well in UK and Europe.

massive pressure now on BoE to raise by 75 points tomorrow- dollar already strongest for a generation
    Yep. The Fed are likely over-reacting to what’s still just about an imported supply shock, but it’s killing everyone on the currency markets. Cable $1.13 today, could go to $1.10 tomorrow if the BoE doesn’t follow up with at least 75bps of their own.
    Not to alarm anybody, but my holiday starts on Friday, and I return to work on the 10th of October.
    Have fun! I’m on holiday next week too, will be sitting on a beach in the middle of nowhere without wifi for six days, so no PB photos of all the cocktails!
    What do you mean sat on a beach. You LIVE on a beach. :)
    A proper beach, first real holiday in years - if WWIII doesn’t result in a nuclear Apocolypse that grounds all the flights in the next 96 hours!
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options

Sandpit, is the air where your located really as foul as it's saying (and frequently says) on my air quality monitor thingy?

AND what is the reason? Oil & gas activity?

It’s not too bad, outside of the dense old city. Mostly car and boat traffic, and a few power stations along the coast. It’s not Beijing, nor is it Manila which was the last place I went on a trip. That was horrible.
  • Options

On the protests starting to happen:

Privileged Muscovites prefer Ukrainians be murdered by some illiterate private from Yoshkar-Ola.

https://twitter.com/MelaniePodolyak/status/1572659641221521409

Yep, definitely now cutting through to the Russian middle classes. Even the limited mobilisation going down very badly with the Muscovites.

All good news. Now what’s needed is to make sure the Ukranians have enough equipment and ammunition, so the enemy can’t dig in and regroup over the winter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

He's stupid.

What exactly are the parts of his answer that you find so risible? The limit of seismic events within the current fracking regulations effectively prohibits fracking from happening. The Government is ruling in fracking, so clearly those limits must be revised.

Perhaps he is stupid because fracking in the UK is bad for health and is neither politically popular, economically viable or environmentally safe?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Is she just trying to prove yet again that she is not a Lib Dem?
    I hope that party puts in a proper campaign at Lancashire West.
This discussion has been closed.