Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A taste of things to come.. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    If you look at these clips of Liz Truss - I don't think it is that bad.
    Thinking back to Theresa May, it was the same thing, the same 'human clumsiness'.
    It didn't really do Theresa May any harm, her problems were all to do with the Conservative Party.
    I think the problem Truss will also primarily encounter is managing the Conservative party.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Could this article have any less actual detail in it?
    OK.

Here's the story.

The James Webb telescope is looking at stars and galaxies that are a long, long way away. We are therefore seeing them billions of years ago. When the universe was a lot younger. According the standard model, these galaxies should therefore look a lot less developed and a lot less stable.

However, what we're seeing is galaxies that are billions of years away, and look much more mature than we'd expect to see.

This means one of several things, of which the two most likely are:

(1) The Galaxy is a lot older (and larger) than we had previously thought
    (2) The Big Bang theory is simply wrong
    I remember as a student reading some of the articles about the steady state theory, which was fashionable around that time and always seemed to me more intuitively credible than much of what has followed.

If the universe has always existed (better considered as time itself being an internal feature within and property of the universe, rather than some external absolute construct as we imagine it) then all the human-centric nonsense around its creator simply goes away.
    No as God would have created it. The evidence is not that the universe has always been created but that it is much older than thought
    Who created God? Where did God "live" before he "created" the universe?
    God is eternal
    Just accept that the universe is eternal and the need to believe in your Father Christmas for grown-ups (many of whose presents are decidedly not what people were asking for) simply goes away.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

HYUFD said:

As far as I know no one has asked at the leader hustings how they will cope with a Trump fascist America that is pulling out of NATO and supporting Putin.

Some civil servants might want to have a very close read of the fine print of the Trident contract.

If the United States were to withdraw their cooperation completely, the UK nuclear capability would probably have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years.
    We could create our own nuclear weapons pretty quickly if needed, as could Israel and Japan
    Ho ho. The financial resources for that would have to be nicked from other budgets. Given a choice between widespread civil unrest and chucking the nukes, it is easy to see what they’d do.
    National defence is always the top priority. We already spend a large amount on nuclear weapons anyway and riot police can be used to crush agitators
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

As far as I know no one has asked at the leader hustings how they will cope with a Trump fascist America that is pulling out of NATO and supporting Putin.

Some civil servants might want to have a very close read of the fine print of the Trident contract.

If the United States were to withdraw their cooperation completely, the UK nuclear capability would probably have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years.
    We could create our own nuclear weapons pretty quickly if needed, as could Israel and Japan
    I think we already do?

It's the missiles that we need the US for.
    Why? We can produce our own missiles as France does
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

The James Webb telescope is looking at stars and galaxies that are a long, long way away. We are therefore seeing them billions of years ago. When the universe was a lot younger. According the standard model, these galaxies should therefore look a lot less developed and a lot less stable.

However, what we're seeing is galaxies that are billions of years away, and look much more mature than we'd expect to see.

I remember as a student reading some of the articles about the steady state theory, which was fashionable around that time and always seemed to me more intuitively credible than much of what has followed.

If the universe has always existed (better considered as time itself being an internal feature within and property of the universe, rather than some external absolute construct as we imagine it) then all the human-centric nonsense around its creator simply goes away.
    No as God would have created it. The evidence is not that the universe has always been created but that it is much older than thought
    God is eternal
    Just accept that the universe is eternal and the need to believe in your Father Christmas for grown-ups (many of whose presents are decidedly not what people were asking for) simply goes away.
    Nope, just convert to Christ and you will receive eternal life
  • At one point May was seen as the next Thatcher, strong and principled.

All this other stuff is in hindsight. Nobody was calling her weird before GE17
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

I think we already do?

Why? We can produce our own missiles as France does
    Dunno, that's just how it works at the moment. I'm sure we can magic some missiles up at short notice, DA probably has a couple in his garage.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

I think we already do?

Is the United Kingdom a Genuine Nuclear Power? A Look at the British Nuclear Forces' Unique Lack of Independence

Britain today maintains a sizeable nuclear arsenal, which as of 2021 stands at 120 operationally available warheads and a further 95 in reserve - with plans to increase the number operational . Of the available warheads only 40 are deployed at a time, all from nuclear powered ballistic missile submarines equipped with intercontinental range ballistic missiles. While no other state, be it Israel, Pakistan, France or North Korea, has ceded its ability to operate its nuclear arsenal to another country, this is exactly what Britain has done which represents a decision entirely unique among the world's nuclear powers.

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/is-the-united-kingdom-a-genuine-nuclear-power-a-look-at-the-british-nuclear-forces-unique-lack-of-independence
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

God is eternal
    Simple-minded drivel
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Have you outed yourself as Ming Campbell? Or another really, really, really old LibDem?

The steady-state theory has not been fashionable since May 20, 1964.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

God is eternal
    How do you know?
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

God is eternal
    Simple-minded drivel
    No the most important life lesson of all
  • rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

The preliminary JWST calibration that has been used for many of these studies is wrong by up to 30% and that can have a huge impact on the inferred redshifts of these objects.
    There was a big kerfuffle about a decade ago, when a group of scientists thought they had discovered neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light. They eventually found some loose cables in the timer explaning the anomalies.

My Year 13 class that year had a lot of fun with that story.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited August 2022
    The National Republican Army that according to Ilya Ponomarev killed Darya Dugina in Moscow seem to have kept remarkably quiet about themselves up until now. I wonder how they recruited their "partisan" network.

'This action, like many other partisan actions carried out on the territory of Russia in recent months, was carried out by the National Republican Army (NRA),' Ponomarev said."

Why start the publicity with this one?

I'm not sure whether the N stands for "национальная" or "народная".

"The former deputy read what purported to be an NRA manifesto: 'We declare President Putin a usurper of power and a war criminal who amended the Constitution, unleashed a fratricidal war between the Slavic peoples and sent Russian soldiers to certain and senseless death.

'Poverty and coffins for some, palaces for others – the essence of his policy. We believe that disenfranchised people have the right to rebel against tyrants. Putin will be deposed and destroyed by us!'
    "

And in the meantime before they acquire the means to ambush Tsar Putin they will blow up 29-year old women who may be far-right fans of Eurasian Empire but who are known mostly for who their ideologist fathers are?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

Makes one wonder what they were doing in Burghfield and Aldermaston for the last 70+ years. It's the missiles that we rent from the US.

They would need to be done from scratch, as the transfer of nuclear tech is illegal by international treaty. And MoD can't even get a bog standard armoured vehicle right, despite several of the same general type long in production wordlwide.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    edited August 2022
    darkage said:

Thinking back to Theresa May, it was the same thing, the same 'human clumsiness'.
    It didn't really do Theresa May any harm, her problems were all to do with the Conservative Party.
    I think the problem Truss will also primarily encounter is managing the Conservative party.

No. Theresa May made the 2017 GE campaign all about her “Theresa May - Strong and Stable in the National Interest” IIRC. Based on polling when she called it she was on for a triple figure majority. What did for her was that a spotlight was shone on her (during an absurdly long campaign) that had not previously because she secured a coronation the previous year. That spotlight, and a sensible but nevertheless almost suicidal, policy on social care, did her in. As a result, instead of bestriding a colossal majority, mistress of all she surveyed, able to pass any Brexit deal she pleased, she was a diminished figure who did well to last a further two years.

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

I think we already do?

Is the United Kingdom a Genuine Nuclear Power? A Look at the British Nuclear Forces' Unique Lack of Independence

Britain today maintains a sizeable nuclear arsenal, which as of 2021 stands at 120 operationally available warheads and a further 95 in reserve - with plans to increase the number operational . Of the available warheads only 40 are deployed at a time, all from nuclear powered ballistic missile submarines equipped with intercontinental range ballistic missiles. While no other state, be it Israel, Pakistan, France or North Korea, has ceded its ability to operate its nuclear arsenal to another country, this is exactly what Britain has done which represents a decision entirely unique among the world's nuclear powers.

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/is-the-united-kingdom-a-genuine-nuclear-power-a-look-at-the-british-nuclear-forces-unique-lack-of-independence
    Largely as the UK almost always aligns with the US abroad, though as France has done if we fell out with the US we could soon create our own
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ho ho. The financial resources for that would have to be nicked from other budgets. Given a choice between widespread civil unrest and chucking the nukes, it is easy to see what they’d do.
    National defence is always the top priority. We already spend a large amount on nuclear weapons anyway and riot police can be used to crush agitators
    The Franco is strong with this one.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Dynamo said:

The National Republican Army that according to Ilya Ponomarev killed Darya Dugina in Moscow seem to have kept remarkably quiet about themselves up until now. I wonder how they recruited their "partisan" network.

'This action, like many other partisan actions carried out on the territory of Russia in recent months, was carried out by the National Republican Army (NRA),' Ponomarev said."

"The former deputy read what purported to be an NRA manifesto: 'We declare President Putin a usurper of power and a war criminal who amended the Constitution, unleashed a fratricidal war between the Slavic peoples and sent Russian soldiers to certain and senseless death.

'Poverty and coffins for some, palaces for others – the essence of his policy. We believe that disenfranchised people have the right to rebel against tyrants. Putin will be deposed and destroyed by us!'
    "

And in the meantime before they acquire the means to ambush Tsar Putin they will blow up 29-year old women who may be far-right fans of Eurasian Empire but who are known mostly for who their ideologist fathers are?

Dugin himself was supposed to have travelled in the same car iirc. He changed his mind at last minute according to some reports.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How exciting for you.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Dynamo said:

"

Who do you think did it and why then?
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

God is eternal
    Simple-minded drivel
    Right up there with "Live, laugh, love" for me
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Makes one wonder what they were doing in Burghfield and Aldermaston for the last 70+ years. It's the missiles that we rent from the US.

They would need to be done from scratch, as the transfer of nuclear tech is illegal by international treaty. And MoD can't even get a bog standard armoured vehicle right, despite several of the same general type long in production wordlwide.
    Is the missile technically nuclear?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited August 2022

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

(3) Our models of early galaxy formation need a little tweaking.
    Or most likely of all

(4) The paper is bullshit and the article writer is an idiot who doesn't understand why things need to be peer reviewed
    HYUFD said:

Trump said he would now bomb Putin a few months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese
    He said the US should implement the following cunning plan:

* bomb Russia while pretending to be Chinese
    * “And then we say, ‘China did it, we didn’t do it, China did it,’ and then they start fighting with each other and we sit back and watch.

The guy is gaga.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Andy_JS said:

Just noticed on Betfair there's a football team in Bolivia called Always Ready.

And The Strongest.
    They usually win.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    HYUFD said:

The Union is under threat like never before. A @lucidtalk poll shows 57% of 18-24-yr-olds want Irish unity with just 35% opting to stay in the UK.
    Among those aged 25-44, it’s 48% to 42%.
    The writing is on the wall, although some are too blind to see it.

https://twitter.com/suzyjourno/status/1561252959782113280?s=21&t=Qyh-NtcVG3iLX23EPjdQvw

Rubbish. The same poll had staying in the UK 7% ahead and just 36% wanting a border poll in the next 5 years.

Young people always get more conservative as they age too
    They won’t if they can’t afford to buy or rent
  • MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Or most likely of all

(4) The paper is bullshit
    You can't get something from nothing.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Switzerland.
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Is the missile technically nuclear?
    My undferstanding is that delivery systems are also covered?
    Always seems to come back to riot police with HYUFD. Strange kink, but who am I to judge?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The last time we discussed this, @Dura_Ace wrote:

“The RN can't degauss/deperm their boats because they lack a suitable facility and the inclination to spend the vast amounts of money necessary to build one.

They can't test Trident launches because they lack an instrumented range ship and the inclination to spend the vast amounts of money necessary to build one.“

He was quite clear that a truly independent nuclear weapons system was quite out of the question. He usually knows what he’s talking about on military topics

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

That's also possible.

It could also be a combination of (1) and (3) - that the universe is a bit older than we'd thought, and we need to tweak our models of early galaxy formation.

• jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 633
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Switzerland.
    Purley

HYUFD said:

The Union is under threat like never before. A @lucidtalk poll shows 57% of 18-24-yr-olds want Irish unity with just 35% opting to stay in the UK.

https://twitter.com/suzyjourno/status/1561252959782113280?s=21&t=Qyh-NtcVG3iLX23EPjdQvw

Rubbish. The same poll had staying in the UK 7% ahead and just 36% wanting a border poll in the next 5 years.

Also depends what you mean by conservative. Having a decent and rational economy in Ireland is a good conservative ethos to have. As opposed to Brexit.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

“The RN can't degauss/deperm their boats because they lack a suitable facility and the inclination to spend the vast amounts of money necessary to build one.

They can't test Trident launches because they lack an instrumented range ship and the inclination to spend the vast amounts of money necessary to build one.“

He was quite clear that a truly independent nuclear weapons system was quite out of the question. He usually knows what he’s talking about on military topics
    He was particularly accurate with regards to the strength of the Russian armed forces.

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Or most likely of all

(4) The paper is bullshit and the article writer is an idiot who doesn't understand why things need
    to be peer reviewed
    I don’t think anyone is drawing firm conclusions yet are they? These are tentative first glimmers of new science, which might turn out to mean nothing at all but might turn out to mean everything.

Let’s face it, we know our current road maps - Relativity and the Standard Model - are lacking in fully describing reality. Isn’t it exciting that we have a new scientific instrument that might help fill in the blanks. And that there’s some speculative early data which if confirmed would turns things on their head?

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, we have the scientists and the funds to spend on our own independent nuclear weapons if it is a matter of our survival and the US no longer an ally
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Switzerland.
    Purley
    Purley Gates. Of course.

HYUFD said:

By 40 they can and NI is not London

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That makes sense. I think this is falsely construed to mean that the UK PM has to phone POTUS to launch a missile though.

It's just that if we get another Trump term and he completely loses it, we lose our nuclear deterrent if all four need fixing, or until a "normal" POTUS comes in.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Also depends what you mean by conservative. Having a decent and rational economy in Ireland is a good conservative ethos to have. As opposed to Brexit.
    Brexit was the opposite of conservative. It was revolutionary.
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 633

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Or most likely of all

(5) the measurements, which are preliminary, will prove to be wrong when analysed in more detail.

Hey, guess what, they've already revised the estimate for one target down.
    https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/bad-astronomy-glass-z13-may-be-most-distant-galaxy-seen

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe under FG, certainly would not be under far left SF
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, we have the scientists and the funds to spend on our own independent nuclear weapons if it is a matter of our survival and the US no longer an ally
    It's not scientists you need or nukes, but engineers, project managers, and delivery systems.

Do try and make the distinction.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese

* “And then we say, ‘China did it, we didn’t do it, China did it,’ and then they start fighting with each other and we sit back and watch.

The guy is gaga.
    I personally thought that was one of his better takes on international affairs.
  • MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Or most likely of all

Should someone tell Liz Truss? Her plans for government seem likely to depend on that being possible.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Comes to PB for a little light relief, runs away.
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

He was particularly accurate with regards to the strength of the Russian armed forces.

Indeed DA would happily back Putin over the UK
    edited August 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It's not scientists you need or nukes, but engineers, project managers, and delivery systems.

We have plenty of those too
  • MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Or most likely of all

(4) The paper is bullshit and the article writer is an idiot who doesn't understand why things need to be peer reviewed
    The article writer obviously hasn't a clue, but I gather that there have already been some interesting observations with the JWST showing young galaxies that look somewhat different to what was expected. Of course this doesn't mean the BBT is wrong as this article seems to think. It just means the our models of galaxy formation need some refinement. The JWST already seems to be proving it's worth!
  • Like him or not Russia never invaded Ukraine and China never tried to blockade Taiwan when James Buchanan was president.

Ditto James Polk, Millard Fillmore, Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Warren Harding and Herbert Hoover.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Have a look at the MoD's track record. It can't organise the sort of eight wheel APC family that the Russians invented in the 1970s and the Americans, Germans, Koreans etc. developed their own take on years back. The UK effort is called Ajax. It's more dangerous to the UK squaddies than anythign else. And this is bog standard modern tech, not rocket science.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

"funds"
    moonshine said:

Dynamo said:

"

I've got no opinion on that. Dugin I believe to have been FSB for decades, so I doubt it was Putin. The NRA first bringing its manifesto to light by having extracts from it read out in Kiev doesn't seem like a strong move. It will be interesting to see what's in it if it's published.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The party that says “Fuck Business” now appreciates the value of engineers, project managers and delivery systems? Nice try, but no coconut.
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

Don't think I've ever heard him back anything other than Extinction Rebellion.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Or most likely of all

Where did the original 'something' come from then?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    darkage said:

...she's doing her best....bless...
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

Also, did HYUFD ever serve his country in any capacity other than the Cub Scouts? DA certainly had a riskier time than learning how to put on a woggle and say 'dib-dib'.

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The party that says “Fuck Business” now appreciates the value of engineers, project managers and delivery systems? Nice try, but no coconut.
    There are 5.5 million engineers in the UK

https://www.engc.org.uk/news/press-releases/pr2020/engineering-makes-up-18-of-the-uk-working-population/#:~:text=Published: 29/09/2020&text=The UK's engineering workforce is,problems and shaping our future.
    I’ve a vaguely deistic view of the universe. Like 12 steppers, I find it helpful to have some conception of a higher power and kinda imagined it to be the cause of the Big Bang, setting it off like one would light a match and watch the smoke particles but taking no active role save to observe thereafter. I’m going to be dead annoyed if I have to start again.
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

Suicidal motorcycle racing on small islands?

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The other point of interest is - who would build the things? I can't think of any UK company that makes ballistic missiles of the right general kind, can you?
    edited August 2022
    Still, if Fred Hoyle was right all along, maybe there’s a vast sentient black cloud out there for us to worship.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Andy_JS said:

"RAF recruitment head refused 'unlawful' order to 'prioritise women and ethnic minorities over white men', leaked email reveals

The group captain - whose subsequent resignation was revealed by Sky News - told her boss in the email earlier this month that she was not willing to allocate slots on RAF training courses based purely on a specific gender or ethnicity, according to a copy of the message, seen by Sky News."

https://news.sky.com/story/raf-recruitment-chief-refused-unlawful-order-to-prioritise-women-and-ethnic-minorities-over-white-men-leaked-email-reveals-12678612

Not a great look for Wallace.
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

There are 5.5 million engineers in the UK

https://www.engc.org.uk/news/press-releases/pr2020/engineering-makes-up-18-of-the-uk-working-population/#:~:text=Published: 29/09/2020&text=The UK's engineering workforce is,problems and shaping our future.
    That is not what it says. It says that there are 5.5 million who work in that area, but that includes the toilet cleaners, accountants, cleaners, and the sort of 'engineer' who is a mechanic rather than a professional design engineer. And a lot of them will be in stuff like making plastic bags for Tesco etc.
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

Also, did HYUFD ever serve his country in any capacity other than the Cub Scouts? DA certainly had a riskier time than learning how to put on a woggle and say 'dib-dib'.
    FUDHY is always ready for action.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,282
    edited August 2022
    DougSeal said:

Still, if Fred Hoyle was right all along, maybe there’s a vast sentient black cloud out there for us to worship.

I can't believe Stephen Hawking might be wrong.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The other point of interest is - who would build the things? I can't think of any UK company that makes ballistic missiles of the right general kind, can you?
    Stomp rockets?

(Ah shit, even they are American)
    Dynamo said:

moonshine said:

Dynamo said:

"

I've got no opinion on that. Dugin I believe to have been FSB for decades, so I doubt it was Putin. The NRA first bringing its manifesto to light by having extracts from it read out in Kiev doesn't seem like a strong move. It will be interesting to see what's in it if it's published.
    You gotta have an opinion. I mean, you think God came down from heaven and stopped... (Gunshot)

Andy_JS said:

"RAF recruitment head refused 'unlawful' order to 'prioritise women and ethnic minorities over white men', leaked email reveals

The group captain - whose subsequent resignation was revealed by Sky News - told her boss in the email earlier this month that she was not willing to allocate slots on RAF training courses based purely on a specific gender or ethnicity, according to a copy of the message, seen by Sky News."

https://news.sky.com/story/raf-recruitment-chief-refused-unlawful-order-to-prioritise-women-and-ethnic-minorities-over-white-men-leaked-email-reveals-12678612

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

I think we already do?

Yep. Total joke. If America wants to station nukes here, they should pay for the privilege.

Andy_JS said:

The orders came from RAF leadership not him
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

All you need is scientists and engineers to build them, of whom we have amongst the best in the world, the government can fund the project itself
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Stomp rockets?

The sort of stuff from Estes? Never heard that expression ...
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

You ever come across something called Ministerial accountability?
    Don’t like Liz Truss at all but TBH the worst thing about that video is the fact someone thought it a good idea to stretch it out over more than 8 minutes.
    darkage said:

Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

The guy is gaga.
    I personally thought that was one of his better takes on international affairs.
    It's more or less what the USA has done with Covid, so it's hardly far fetched.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

All you need is scientists and engineers to build them, of whom we have amongst the best in the world, the government can fund the project itself
    Slight brain fart there. You need factories and workforces. Where are they? Foreign factories? Foreign companies?
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Who gives them orders then?

edited August 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Slight brain fart there. You need factories and workforces. Where are they? Foreign factories? Foreign companies?
    BAE? You can build your own, you can also nationalise companies overnight for national security if needed
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Stomp rockets?

The British Nuclear deterrent (HYUFD style): https://stomprocket.com/

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

We're getting to the point where HYUFD is advocating hugely expensive nationalised factories and workforces.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

God is eternal
    Simple-minded drivel
    Right up there with "Live, laugh, love" for me
    It’s only the second most important life lesson. The first is to never vote Tory.
  • DougSeal said:

Don’t like Liz Truss at all but TBH the worst thing about that video is the fact someone thought it a good idea to stretch it out over more than 8 minutes.

You get more ad revenue that way
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Who needs ballistic missiles? FUDHY will go for a budget delivery system. DPD Pickup.
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Stomp rockets?

Oh, not even as powerful as the old Jetex motors, still less the US ones you can get from the model shop on Lothian Road.
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The RAF leadership got the quotas they were trying to meet from somewhere.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

We're getting to the point where HYUFD is advocating hugely expensive nationalised factories and workforces.
    If the alternative is being obliterated by Putin of course
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Stomp rockets?

Oh, not even as powerful as the old Jetex motors, still less the US ones you can get from the model shop on Lothian Road.
    If you see bright lights in the sky over Leith, you'll know who it is.
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Stomp rockets?

Also reminds me of this delivery system, which I had c. 1961:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2SIMwWruug
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

BAE? You can build your own, you can also nationalise companies overnight for national security if needed
    They don't do ICBMs. Nor does anyone in the UK. Nothing to nationalise. And multinationals get snotty if you do.
  • Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Who needs ballistic missiles? FUDHY will go for a budget delivery system. DPD Pickup.
    "We tried to deliver an apocalypic weapon, but you were out. We have left it in the safe space behind your neighbour's bin."
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

Riot police.

Nationalising the manufacturing sector.

Stealing the budgets of health, education, housing and transport.

All we need is some Anglican nonsense and we have a classic FUDHY thread.

Oh, I forgot, he’s already disproved the Big Bang upthread.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

They don't do ICBMs. Nor does anyone in the UK. Nothing to nationalise. And multinationals get snotty if you do.
    They can do if told to, the government would have to order them to and defence multinationals can sod off if they are not willing to support national security. Those based in Britain would be nationalised for the nuclear weapons effort.

No point having multinationals if you have been destroyed by Putin's nuclear missiles as no effective nuclear deterrent
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

The constant barrage of anti-Truss articles is getting a bit tedious. She may be rubbish but let's at least wait and see.

I feel some of this is Remainer disappointment. What did Hezza say - when Boris goes, Brexit goes. And yet now it looks like the Brexit project continues.

Remainer disappointment at having remainer Truss as PM rather than leaver Sunak. That disappointment?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That's a strategic nuclear deterrent. We could have tactical nuclear warheads, delivered via conventional means. In many ways they would be a lot scarier to opponents than strategic ones, because they're not necessarily just a doomsday weapon of last resort.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

Riot police.

Nationalising the manufacturing sector.

Stealing the budgets of health, education, housing and transport.

All we need is some Anglican nonsense and we have a classic FUDHY thread.

Oh, I forgot, he’s already disproved the Big Bang upthread.
    Bit of an O. G. disproving the Big Bang - it's absolutely classic linear-from-beginning Anglican ontogenetic eschatology, vide for instance the geological arguments in the early C19 about immeasurable cyclical ttime ((c) HuttonJ) vs a definite sequence of history.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure about that one.

If the alternative is being obliterated by Putin of course
    Being obliterated by Putin’s pal Trump looks more feasible.
This discussion has been closed.