Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A taste of things to come.. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2022 in General
A taste of things to come.. – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Come along, Mike. Gordon Brown was pretty gurntastic before he took over, and what a legendary PM he turned out to be.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    It's not all bad - not all the UK has the love for Brexit-Russia Mick that Politics Joe has.
    Oh wait no he didn't, sorry, thinking of someone else.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    IshmaelZ said:

Oh wait no he didn't, sorry, thinking of someone else.

Oh, he was legendary all right.

In the same way Mordred became legendary,
  • Betfair next prime minister
    1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    12.5 Rishi Sunak 8%

Next Conservative leader
    1.07 Liz Truss 93%
    13 Rishi Sunak 8%
    Incidentally I haven't seen any mention of this:

Plans to cut energy bills if peak-time use avoided
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62626908

It's not a silly idea in itself, but it does occur to me that it would advantage those who (a) work from home or (b) have more modern equipment with timers on it.

Who are not the ones who will most likely need the most help...
    Seriously, have watched the first three minutes and CBA to watch any further, but what point is being made here? Beyond SHE'S A WOMAN, obv.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    I’m bored of her already and she’s not even taken office yet.

She speaks highly of you.
    IshmaelZ said:

She speaks highly of you.
    I’d be very concerned if the next FM of England spent any time considering little ole me.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    IshmaelZ said:

Seriously, have watched the first three minutes and CBA to watch any further, but what point is being made here? Beyond SHE'S A WOMAN, obv.

Liz you're no Margaret Thatcher.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "GPs reject Treasury plan for them to prescribe money off energy bills

It ‘beggars belief’ that ministers think doctors could assess if patients were vulnerable enough to need help, says GP leader"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/21/gps-reject-treasury-plan-for-them-to-prescribe-money-off-energy-bills
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Conservative voters have “sellers’ remorse” over the ousting of Boris Johnson and would prefer him as prime minister over the two rivals vying to be his successor, focus group research and polling for The Times reveals today.

Interviews with floating voters in marginal constituencies found little enthusiasm for either Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak becoming the next Conservative leader.

This was backed up by polling that found 49 per cent of Tory supporters thought Johnson should remain prime minister — more than the combined support for both Truss and Sunak.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bring-back-boris-why-swing-voters-dont-trust-truss-or-sunak-0dqxlhdmb
    Yum yum.. I had me some crudités tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTR2PVNOGow
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    This might be an interesting development...

Mark Galeotti
    @MarkGaleotti
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If the 'National Republican Army' is indeed responsible, it’s striking that there is an anti-Putin terrorist movement now willing to be so active, although if there’s one thing the regime can do is crackdowns, so… 1/

https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1561414590050729984
    HYUFD said:
    JWST has seen the Glory of the Coming of the Lord, and man, that motherfucker is ANGLICAN. Squeaky bum time and wish I hadn't had so many abortions.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    ydoethur said:

It's not a silly idea in itself, but it does occur to me that it would advantage those who (a) work from home or (b) have more modern equipment with timers on it.

Also given that most people don't have smart meters yet how would you collect the information....
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,140
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:
    JWST has seen the Glory of the Coming of the Lord, and man, that motherfucker is ANGLICAN. Squeaky bum time and wish I hadn't had so many abortions.
    Not exactly Nature or Science though, that website. It contains the dramatic new theory that galaxies have a "red shirt" to their light. Obvs if they don't, they are good Conservatives and suitable for the C of E.
    ydoethur said:

Disadvantages the working poor, then.

Serve them right.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,045
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Also given that most people don't have smart meters yet how would you collect the information....
    It will put a lot of smart meters in a lot of homes.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:
    Could this article have any less actual detail in it?
  • Question for the historically-minded.

There are examples of Leaders of the Opposition getting a second hearing from the electorate, albeit usually because the government has crashed and burned. Cameron did it, Starmer looks like he is doing it. Further back in time, Wilson and Heath?

I'm struggling to think of a PM who has fundamentally changed their public perception once it has settled in place. There was Maggie and the Falklands Factor, sure, but that was more seeing the benefits of Iron Stubbornness than realising she was different to initial perceptions.

Who am I missing?
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:
    Not exactly Nature or Science though, that website. It contains the dramatic new theory that galaxies have a "red shirt" to their light. Obvs if they don't, they are good Conservatives and suitable for the C of E.
    :lol:

It's those black short galaxies I can't stand. The ones where they had run out of shirts, and Spode dressed them up in footer bags.
    "Jacob Rees-Mogg backs Liz Truss’s claim UK workers need ‘more graft’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/21/jacob-rees-mogg-backs-liz-truss-claim-uk-workers-need-more-graft
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

People who voted against AV in the 2011 referendum because they disliked it more than FPTP were idiots.

If we'd had AV 10 years ago we might have moved to STV by now.

I voted against AV.

Personally, my preference is small multi-member constituencies, that make our elections a little more proportional, while still preserving the link between voters and MPs, and allowing for majority governments to be formed regularly, if not all of the time.

I think three to four MP constituencies would be perfect: it would result in a party who got 42-43% of the vote to get a majority in Parliament, but not an overwhelming one. It would mean that issues like the UK's membership of the EU would be addressed earlier. And it would also encourage the existence of independents.

Obviously, this would not use party lists, so voters would be able to express their preference for one Conservative (or Liberal or whoever) over another.
    So basically the NI Assembly's electoral system where the most important task is deciding how many candidates do you field in the constituency to minimise the risk of your candidates splitting the vote so badly all are eliminated early on...

On the upside / downside Sinn Fein got it so wrong they aren't currently in power in Ireland....
    That's not quite true.

Imagine that there's a single member seat with STV (just for the purposes of this experiment). The Conservatives put up three candidates, and the LDs put up one.

After the first round, It's:

LD 40%
    C1 30%
    C2 20%
    C3 10%

First C3 gets eliminated. If his voters second choices split 50-50 between C1 and C2, you get:

LD 40%
    C1 40%
    C2 30%

Then C2 gets eliminated. And C1 ends up elected.

The same thing works with multimember constituencies. The advantage of only fielding a single candidate is that (a) the voters don't get to choose which of your candidates gets most votes, and (b) there's less confusion or possible leakage due to people who rank the candidates as C3, LD, C2.
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:
    :lol:

It's those black short galaxies I can't stand. The ones where they had run out of shirts, and Spode dressed them up in footer bags.
    Not to mention the blue shirts. Na Léinte Gorma and all that, drinking their Guinness dark as the intergalactic spaces.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    This could be nothing, or it could be the beginning of the end.

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    ·
    8m
    ⚡️Unknown Russian group claims responsibility for murder of imperialist ideologue's daughter.

The National Republican Army is responsible for the murder of Daria, the daughter of Russian imperialist Alexander Dugin, former Russian lawmaker Ilya Ponomaryov said.

He claimed that the group had authorized him to issue the statement. "We declare President Putin a usurper of power and a war criminal who amended the Constitution, unleashed a fratricidal war between Slavic peoples, and sent Russian soldiers to certain and senseless death."

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1561445930020241408
  • HYUFD said:
    LOL at "red shirt"!
    Andy_JS said:

It ‘beggars belief’ that ministers think doctors could assess if patients were vulnerable enough to need help, says GP leader"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/21/gps-reject-treasury-plan-for-them-to-prescribe-money-off-energy-bills

And it is also breathtakingly inconsistent.

Many years ago the job of assessing whether someone was too sick to work and therefore entitled to ESA or Incapacity Benefit was taken off GPs because they were seen as soft on the ill and disabled.
    Toms said:

Yum yum.. I had me some crudités tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTR2PVNOGow

Oh my God, that's hilarious.
    HYUFD said:
    We had a party last night, and this was a major topic of conversation. It is quite possible that the James Webb telescope completely changes some of our assumptions about the Universe.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/21/journalists-at-rightwing-daily-express-set-to-strike-over-pay

'Although one journalist at the titles acknowledged that a rightwing anti-union newspaper going on strike is a “satirist’s dream”, they insisted there is solidarity between unionised staff across all of Reach’s titles, regardless of their political stance.'

Must go and slice some more shallots ...
    Andy_JS said:

It ‘beggars belief’ that ministers think'

Why didn't they just leave it there?

Question for the historically-minded.

There are examples of Leaders of the Opposition getting a second hearing from the electorate, albeit usually because the government has crashed and burned. Cameron did it, Starmer looks like he is doing it. Further back in time, Wilson and Heath?

I'm struggling to think of a PM who has fundamentally changed their public perception once it has settled in place. There was Maggie and the Falklands Factor, sure, but that was more seeing the benefits of Iron Stubbornness than realising she was different to initial perceptions.

Who am I missing?

I would suggest Baldwin, who went from being tariff reformer to centrist plodder to hard-right ideologue to Father of the Nation during the 15 year span of his three premierships.

Afterwards, he became an Enemy of the People but from 1937 to 39 he was genuinely beloved having being highly controversial ten years earlier.

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

The James Webb telescope is looking at stars and galaxies that are a long, long way away. We are therefore seeing them billions of years ago. When the universe was a lot younger. According the standard model, these galaxies should therefore look a lot less developed and a lot less stable.

However, what we're seeing is galaxies that are billions of years away, and look much more mature than we'd expect to see.

This means one of several things, of which the two most likely are:

(1) The Galaxy is a lot older (and larger) than we had previously thought
    (2) The Big Bang theory is simply wrong
    Barcelona 1
    Real Sociedad 1
    29 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62617428
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

The James Webb telescope is looking at stars and galaxies that are a long, long way away. We are therefore seeing them billions of years ago. When the universe was a lot younger. According the standard model, these galaxies should therefore look a lot less developed and a lot less stable.

However, what we're seeing is galaxies that are billions of years away, and look much more mature than we'd expect to see.

(If the Universe is much older and larger than we previously thought, then the possibility of aliens being out there is commensurately higher.)
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

This would be massively exciting. A bit weird the way the article presents it as a crisis for science. New evidence new theories, new questions to answer with the next, even larger space telescope...
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

My best guess, they are predatory groomer galaxies. Prolly in breach of parole terms.
  • The constant barrage of anti-Truss articles is getting a bit tedious. She may be rubbish but let's at least wait and see.

I feel some of this is Remainer disappointment. What did Hezza say - when Boris goes, Brexit goes. And yet now it looks like the Brexit project continues.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

This would be massively exciting. A bit weird the way the article presents it as a crisis for science. New evidence new theories, new questions to answer with the next, even larger space telescope...
    That was rather th epoint of launching the telescope ...
    The Union is under threat like never before. A @lucidtalk poll shows 57% of 18-24-yr-olds want Irish unity with just 35% opting to stay in the UK.
    Among those aged 25-44, it’s 48% to 42%.
    The writing is on the wall, although some are too blind to see it.

https://twitter.com/suzyjourno/status/1561252959782113280?s=21&t=Qyh-NtcVG3iLX23EPjdQvw
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

(If the Universe is much older and larger than we previously thought, then the possibility of aliens being out there is commensurately higher.)
    Well, yes, but the probability of them being close enough that we could have any meaningful contact with them would be unchanged.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

It is indeed massively exciting.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

eek said:

ydoethur said:

It will put a lot of smart meters in a lot of homes.
    Say it takes 2 hours to install smart meters - a team can do 4 a day max..

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Well, yes, but the probability of them being close enough that we could have any meaningful contact with them would be unchanged.
    Shhhh
  • True this.

• HYUFD said:
    Well, it went on a few seasons longer than it should, but that's American networks for you.

There are worse ways of wasting half an hour in front of the telly.

(The real irony of the blog is that the astronomical Big Bang Theory was largely down to Fr Georges Lemaître, and some respectable scientists of the time hated it, in part becuase the Big Bang was an irrational thing that gave a space where God could be said to intervene.)
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,867
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

(3) Our models of early galaxy formation need a little tweaking.
    edited August 2022
    "RAF recruitment head refused 'unlawful' order to 'prioritise women and ethnic minorities over white men', leaked email reveals

The group captain - whose subsequent resignation was revealed by Sky News - told her boss in the email earlier this month that she was not willing to allocate slots on RAF training courses based purely on a specific gender or ethnicity, according to a copy of the message, seen by Sky News."

https://news.sky.com/story/raf-recruitment-chief-refused-unlawful-order-to-prioritise-women-and-ethnic-minorities-over-white-men-leaked-email-reveals-12678612
  • Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

Liz you're no Margaret Thatcher.
    Truss = Poundshop Theresa May
    Prediction: We are about to a revival in Harold Wilson's reputation and interest in his story.

Some evidence:

Newstatesman piece this week by Phil Collins pointing out that Starmer is doing what Wilson would have done. Starmer is a fan of the 1960/70s PM.

and now:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1561326794774560769

HYUFD said:
    Well, it went on a few seasons longer than it should, but that's American networks for you.

There are worse ways of wasting half an hour in front of the telly.

(The real irony of the blog is that the astronomical Big Bang Theory was largely down to Fr Georges Lemaître, and some respectable scientists of the time hated it, in part becuase the Big Bang was an irrational thing that gave a space where God could be said to intervene.)
    I can recommend Moonfall, if you are into rigorous hard-core orbital physics.
  • rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

You can't get something from nothing.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Well, the author of "The Big Bang Never Happened" is certainly convinced the Big Bang has been disproved. And so is "Evolution News".

It seems to be a lot harder to find this kind of statement in reputable sources, though.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/21/jacob-rees-mogg-backs-liz-truss-claim-uk-workers-need-more-graft

If only every workplace allowed workers to take naps on long green sofas we could all reach his level of productivity.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    We had a party last night, and this was a major topic of conversation. It is quite possible that the James Webb telescope completely changes some of our assumptions about the Universe.
    Have you read the article? It is utter nonsense
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    edit
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

I remember as a student reading some of the articles about the steady state theory, which was fashionable around that time and always seemed to me more intuitively credible than much of what has followed.

If the universe has always existed (better considered as time itself being an internal feature within and property of the universe, rather than some external absolute construct as we imagine it) then all the human-centric nonsense around its creator simply goes away.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Quantum foam says different.

True this.

Bit over the top. I suspect the Khmer Rouge top the GOP for mad nihilism and destructiveness. But the point still stands.

2024 is a battle for the very existence of the democratic republic of America. Nothing less. Trump is clear and present danger and easily the worst threat since its foundation.

The fact he remains alive proves his fabled Deep State does not exist.
    ydoethur said:

Are they ones most likely to be undecided but leaning Tory voters though?
  • IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

I remember as a student reading some of the articles about the steady state theory, which was fashionable around that time and always seemed to me more intuitively credible than much of what has followed.

If the universe has always existed (better considered as time itself being an internal feature within and property of the universe, rather than some external absolute construct as we imagine it) then all the human-centric nonsense around its creator simply goes away.
    If the universe was infinite in age and infinite in size the night sky would have a bright white sky from all the star light reaching us from every direction.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    I made it through the first 38 seconds of that video, but couldn’t take anymore. I doff my hat to those of you who made it through to the full 8.27.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

No as God would have created it. The evidence is not that the universe has always been created but that it is much older than thought
    As far as I know no one has asked at the leader hustings how they will cope with a Trump fascist America that is pulling out of NATO and supporting Putin.

• IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Or far more likely:

Quantum foam says different.
    Look into my eye!
  • HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

No as God would have created it. The evidence is not that the universe has always been created but that it is much older than thought
    Who created God? Where did God "live" before he "created" the universe?

The Union is under threat like never before. A @lucidtalk poll shows 57% of 18-24-yr-olds want Irish unity with just 35% opting to stay in the UK.

https://twitter.com/suzyjourno/status/1561252959782113280?s=21&t=Qyh-NtcVG3iLX23EPjdQvw

Rubbish. The same poll had staying in the UK 7% ahead and just 36% wanting a border poll in the next 5 years.

Young people always get more conservative as they age too

As far as I know no one has asked at the leader hustings how they will cope with a Trump fascist America that is pulling out of NATO and supporting Putin.

Fingers in ears and pretend not to notice. Next?
  • IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

If the universe was infinite in age and infinite in size the night sky would have a bright white sky from all the star light reaching us from every direction.
    If finite, where is your point of origin?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Can anyone link to a properly written article regarding JWST / universe origins rather than the nonsense HYUFD linked to

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Not if the density of stars was low enough that the inverse-square law meant that the brightness of the night-sky asymptotes to a limit.
    Andy_JS said:

His Nanny certainly puts in the hours.
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/21/journalists-at-rightwing-daily-express-set-to-strike-over-pay

'Although one journalist at the titles acknowledged that a rightwing anti-union newspaper going on strike is a “satirist’s dream”, they insisted there is solidarity between unionised staff across all of Reach’s titles, regardless of their political stance.'

Must go and slice some more shallots ...

Enough crudité, thank you.
  • Pulpstar said:

Can anyone link to a properly written article regarding JWST / universe origins rather than the nonsense HYUFD linked to

Just think for yourself - how can an entire universe arise from nothing?

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

It's really impressive that people here are able to come up with these amazing insights that no one has ever thought of before, despite some of the human race's greatest minds having pondered these questions for thousands of years.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

The idea that science in any field is complete is vanishingly unlikely. The whole point of science is that every single thing it ever says is open to development, falsification and verification. When you stop thinking that way about anything you are into dogma and authority.

In general it is bad when one set of ideas becomes over dominant, because it drifts easily into that sort of dogma. The real interest is in the battle of ideas, not a cosy consensus.

People who can't cope with this are in the wrong job. Being proved wrong is the lifeblood of science.

Trump said he would now bomb Putin a few months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese
    HYUFD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese
    He's invented time travel?
    Andy_JS said:

Funny, given that an image of him lying down on the job is ineradicably etched on nearly everyone's memory cells.
    HYUFD said:

I'm talking about 2025 when he wins again not a few months ago.

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

It's really impressive that people here are able to come up with these amazing insights that no one has ever thought of before, despite some of the human race's greatest minds having pondered these questions for thousands of years.
    Amazing too that a single sentence aphorism or 5 year old's question can confirm or overturn thousands of years of careful disputation.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

He's invented time travel?
    Yes. And it's the best time travel ever invented. Way, way better than anyone else's.

Some civil servants might want to have a very close read of the fine print of the Trident contract.

If the United States were to withdraw their cooperation completely, the UK nuclear capability would probably have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

The preliminary JWST calibration that has been used for many of these studies is wrong by up to 30% and that can have a huge impact on the inferred redshifts of these objects.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,532

The constant barrage of anti-Truss articles is getting a bit tedious. She may be rubbish but let's at least wait and see.

I feel some of this is Remainer disappointment. What did Hezza say - when Boris goes, Brexit goes. And yet now it looks like the Brexit project continues.

The disappointment is that there’s likely to be another 2 years of EU hate on steroids as Truss is a puppet for the ERG .

Not sure how Brexit can go given the UK is out . What’s going to happen to change this ?

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Probably in Macedonian with a pair of binoculars.

Some civil servants might want to have a very close read of the fine print of the Trident contract.

If the United States were to withdraw their cooperation completely, the UK nuclear capability would probably have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years.
    We could create our own nuclear weapons pretty quickly if needed, as could Israel and Japan
    edited August 2022
    The other day we were sitting outside our local caff having a coffee and saying somewhat logorrhoeacally (if that's a word) that some people think that climate change is just a natural fluctuation when I heard a matron behind us say "Yes, yes, that's right".

Is that how many people do science?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

Precisely. Bertrand Russell dealt with this human fallacy in the 1960s. If your problem is how X came to exist and your answer is that Y created X, you simply shift the question from X to Y, with any answer you conjure up for Y being equally applicable to X hence cutting out the need for Y.
    HYUFD said:

Rubbish. The same poll had staying in the UK 7% ahead and just 36% wanting a border poll in the next 5 years.

Young people always get more conservative as they age too
    I love the smell of Unionist complacency in the morning.
    Just noticed on Betfair there's a football team in Bolivia called Always Ready.

HYUFD said:

I'm talking about 2025 when he wins again not a few months ago.

Like him or not Russia never invaded Ukraine and China never tried to blockade Taiwan when Trump was president
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

HYUFD said:
    LOL at "red shirt"!
    The Red Shirt was the one who beamed down to the planet and then got eaten/vaporised/was the victim of a transporter failure and turned into a bloody puddle.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    HYUFD said:

We could create our own nuclear weapons pretty quickly if needed, as could Israel and Japan
    I think we already do?

It's the missiles that we need the US for.
    HYUFD said:

Ho ho. The financial resources for that would have to be nicked from other budgets. Given a choice between widespread civil unrest and chucking the nukes, it is easy to see what they’d do.
  • IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    OK.

Here's the story.

While it may be more intuitively credible, it doesn't fit the evidence as well as the big bang theory does. The cosmic microwave background radiation, for example, was predicted by the BBT and duly discovered some time later.
This discussion has been closed.