Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Midterms betting: GOP favourite for the House – DEM for the Senate – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2022 in General
imageMidterms betting: GOP favourite for the House – DEM for the Senate – politicalbetting.com

Historically in American politics in the first midterm elections following a new President the party that does not control the White House does well in the Senate and House elections.These take place on November 8th

Read the full story here

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    The Woke Dems need to be destroyed. Trump for '24
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited August 2022
    I would be very cautious about the Smarkets Senate bet.

Imagine a scenario where it is Dems 49, Republicans 50, Evan McMullin 1.

Who controls the Senate?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Leon said:

No thanks. The most ridiculous woke stuff is so silly it will face a counter in time, Trump and co would rewrite rules to prevent a counter if they get the change.
  • Leon said:

Trump only cares about Trump.

If you want the Dems defeated then another GOP President would be better.
  • Hustings at 7 o'clock. A couple of downstream links; others are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGEKFNKtJnM (Telegraph)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liEEdZJDTM4 (Mail)
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    25% of seats in either House should be allocated to Afro Americans, by law.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    What does Leon actually mean by Woke - a term he uses in just about every post

Leon said:

Trump only cares about Trump.

If you want the Dems defeated then another GOP President would be better.
    Yes, he would probably get distracted or motivate his opponents to fresh heights.
  • If the GOP fail to take the Senate it will be a damning verdict on their Trump backed candidates.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

Ive laid GOP to win 40 quid
  • Pre-hustings prices

Betfair next prime minister
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Next Conservative leader
    1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Start with this

https://www.city-journal.org/the-corruption-of-medicine

And remember, this is the impact of Wokeness on just ONE aspect of American life: medicine

And we have the same mental fungus growing in the UK, albeit not as advanced
    Civic joy in Perth, all getting proper 'andy. TORY SCUM OUT banners.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1559585117261152256
  • rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

Susan Collins.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    edited August 2022
    Queen's stunt double jailed for attacking girlfriend

Great and slightly unpredictable headline (BBC)
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited August 2022

Pre-hustings prices

1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Next Conservative leader
    1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Late money for Liz, against Rishi.

1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    12 Rishi Sunak 8%

Next Conservative leader
    1.08 Liz Truss 93%
    12.5 Rishi Sunak 8%
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Leon said:

Start with this

And remember, this is the impact of Wokeness on just ONE aspect of American life: medicine

And we have the same mental fungus growing in the UK, albeit not as advanced
    Oh so you are a racist
  • Leon said:

Who cares about people committing Treason or seeking to overturn democracy, there's people out there that use the third person singular pronoun as their personal pronouns and that needs to be destroyed!
  • Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

Ive laid GOP to win 40 quid
    I know they're struggling with fundraising post-Roe, but they surely be able to raise 40 quid?

Leon said:

Who cares about people committing Treason or seeking to overturn democracy, there's people out there that use the third person singular pronoun as their personal pronouns and that needs to be destroyed!
    I was being provocative, I thought that was clear

However I genuinely don't know which is worse for America. That Wokeness proceeds untrammelled, or that the horrible Trump wins in 2024. To my mind Wokery is that pernicious, and that menacing: it is possibly worse than Trump

Ideally the GOP will find a different candidate - and canter home

TimT said:

Apparently, Republicans are having trouble raising funds for key Senate races this mid-term. Hope that is an harbinger of bad news for them:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/15/gop-slashes-ads-in-key-senate-battlegrounds-00051969

Fwiw i have republicans picking up in Arizona, Nevada and Georgia, most likely drops North Carolina and Ohio. New Hampshire might be interesting. Republicans on 52 i think, and they take the House handily
    According to the polls, Nevada is the Republicans easiest shot, with the proviso that the State is among the most fiercely pro-Choice in the country, and Laxalit is a Complete Abortion Ban kind of guy.

North Carolina didn't go Dem in 2020, so I would be surprised to see the Dems pick it up. New Hampshire doesn't often get rid of incumbents (it's a big personal vote state), so I'd would also be surprised to see the Republicans grab it.

Pennsylvania looks to be the best chance of a Dem gain, given that Oz is personally not particularly popular. The polls there give Fetteman a 10+% lead, which will be very hard for Oz to pull back, even assuming (as I do) that the Republicans benefit from the enthusiasm gap. It is also worth noting that Kelly in Arizona is also posting 10+% leads in the polls.

That means the Republicans really need to grab both Georgia and Nevada if they are to win the Senate.

And don't forget Utah. Deseret News, which is the Washington Post or NYTimes of Utah (in terms of history and importance, not in terms of political views), has a very strong record of correctly polling the State, and they have had McMullin consistently narrowing the gap there. Their latest poll has Lee just five points ahead. Now, if McMullin wins, he'll be effectively a Republican - but he'll be a very independent one.
  • They key difference between the House and the Senate is that there are 435 house seats up and only 34 senate seats. That means candidate quality is much more important for the Senate

The reps only need to gain 7 seats to win the House and probably don't even need to win the popular vote.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Leon said:

But they're not Woke, they're led by Sleepy Joe.

rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

Susan Collins.
    I guess Manchin, Sysnema, Collins and Murkowski should simply form a little "We Run the Senate" group and we could get rid of the other 96 Senators altogether.
  • Leon said:

You need to drink more love. You're under-lubricated so back in the WOKE ARE HERE TO DESTROY US phase. A few more mojitos and you are chilled, but don't go to far or we get ALIENS ARE HERE TO DESTROY US.

How many drinkes are needed before the aliens are woke?

If the GOP fail to take the Senate it will be a damning verdict on their Trump backed candidates.

It is worth remembering that in 2018 the Republicans made a net gain of two Senate seats. So there's nothing that says that a hugely unpopular President who loses the House cannot gain in the Senate.
  • rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Apparently, Republicans are having trouble raising funds for key Senate races this mid-term. Hope that is an harbinger of bad news for them:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/15/gop-slashes-ads-in-key-senate-battlegrounds-00051969

Fwiw i have republicans picking up in Arizona, Nevada and Georgia, most likely drops North Carolina and Ohio. New Hampshire might be interesting. Republicans on 52 i think, and they take the House handily
    According to the polls, Nevada is the Republicans easiest shot, with the proviso that the State is among the most fiercely pro-Choice in the country, and Laxalit is a Complete Abortion Ban kind of guy.

North Carolina didn't go Dem in 2020, so I would be surprised to see the Dems pick it up. New Hampshire doesn't often get rid of incumbents (it's a big personal vote state), so I'd would also be surprised to see the Republicans grab it.

Pennsylvania looks to be the best chance of a Dem gain, given that Oz is personally not particularly popular. The polls there give Fetteman a 10+% lead, which will be very hard for Oz to pull back, even assuming (as I do) that the Republicans benefit from the enthusiasm gap. It is also worth noting that Kelly in Arizona is also posting 10+% leads in the polls.

That means the Republicans really need to grab both Georgia and Nevada if they are to win the Senate.

And don't forget Utah. Deseret News, which is the Washington Post or NYTimes of Utah (in terms of history and importance, not in terms of political views), has a very strong record of correctly polling the State, and they have had McMullin consistently narrowing the gap there. Their latest poll has Lee just five points ahead. Now, if McMullin wins, he'll be effectively a Republican - but he'll be a very independent one.
    The GOP really have misread the Dobbs verdict.

They thought it gave them the right to ban all abortion.

Rather than giving them the opportunity to restrict abortion.

Leon said:

Woah. This is much more serious than that.

They use the third person plural.

This is not just about woke. This is about the fight between singular and plural. A fight that could determine the very future of the English language.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

OMG they really are Woke, and even when they are not they are like @kinabalu or @Foxy - they are too myopic and complacent to stop Wokeness, because they still naively think it is the same game of social justice that was played in the 80 and 90s, it just occasionally goes "a bit far into silliness"

Woke is really not silly. It is cultural Marxism turned into an eerie new religion. It is powerful and growing. It is destroying America from the inside out, beginning with the universities but now infesting everything over time. It is a species of rot. It will be the end of the West and the Enlightenment if it is not checked

I get that most people on here completely disagree with me, but this is my honest appraisal. I fear for us all
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

I guess if McMullin caucuses with the Dems like Sanders then Dems, if he sits as an actual indy then Republicans?
    Which would mean Grassley was Senate pro tempore and 3rd in line but Harris still had the casting vote if McMullin blocks GOP bills?

rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

I guess if McMullin caucuses with the Dems like Sanders then Dems, if he sits as an actual indy then Republicans?
    He won't caucus with the Dems. But he would be a massive pain in the butt for the Republicans.
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

OMG they really are Woke, and even when they are not they are like @kinabalu or @Foxy - they are too myopic and complacent to stop Wokeness, because they still naively think it is the same game of social justice that was played in the 80 and 90s, it just occasionally goes "a bit far into silliness"

Woke is really not silly. It is cultural Marxism turned into an eerie new religion. It is powerful and growing. It is destroying America from the inside out, beginning with the universities but now infesting everything over time. It is a species of rot. It will be the end of the West and the Enlightenment if it is not checked

I get that most people on here completely disagree with me, but this is my honest appraisal. I fear for us all
    It is entirely possible that all this is true.

But whenever you get into rant mode, I switch off, and think that if you're so incoherent about this, they're probably on the side of the angels.
    Evens that rishi makes ghastly kilt themed joke
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161

'please give me attention'
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

Susan Collins.
    I guess Manchin, Sysnema, Collins and Murkowski should simply form a little "We Run the Senate" group and we could get rid of the other 96 Senators altogether.
    They could adopt Mittens Romney as their weird little pet.
    IshmaelZ said:

Impossible. No pants jokes.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

He won't caucus with the Dems. But he would be a massive pain in the butt for the Republicans.
    However the GOP would get control of ths various committees etc?
  • rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

Which would mean Grassley was Senate pro tempore and 3rd in line but Harris still had the casting vote if McMullin blocks GOP bills?
    He's said he's not caucusing with anyone so under Smarkets rules it would settle GOP.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Celebrating a little business triumph today - wanted to thank @rcs1000 for his Brexit en primeur tip. The 2015 Angludet is drinking perfectly right now!
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

It is entirely possible that all this is true.

But whenever you get into rant mode, I switch off, and think that if you're so incoherent about this, they're probably on the side of the angels.
    That really wasn't a rant. You know I can rant. That's not a rant. More a cri de coeur, I'd say
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,843
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

You should try thinking for yourself instead of outsourcing it to the unHerd Speccie drivelpipe.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

You should try thinking for yourself instead of outsourcing it to the unHerd Speccie drivelpipe.
    I am the prophet in the wilderness. If we stay on this current course, in ten years time even you will be thinking "Shit, Leon was right"
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Good call. Backed off from the jokes altogether.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Leon said:

You need to drink more love. You're under-lubricated so back in the WOKE ARE HERE TO DESTROY US phase. A few more mojitos and you are chilled, but don't go to far or we get ALIENS ARE HERE TO DESTROY US.

I think the aliens are definitely anglocentric, as they do visit America more than other places.

Indeed it is quite interesting how different countries encounter aliens. In America they are mysterious, highly technological, but do have a tendency to probe hillbilly men's bottoms. In Europe they are more ethereal and tend to preach piously of world peace and environmental action. In South America they tend to be little green men who say bleep.

Either the aliens are trolling us, or it tells you more about the visited society than the visitors.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm glad to hear he's not tartan up his act.

rcs1000 said:

Who controls the Senate?

He's said he's not caucusing with anyone so under Smarkets rules it would settle GOP.
    He'd have an extraordinary amount of power to determine who chairs Committees.
    Health is devolved, so wtf?

And stop saying OUR WOMEN.
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

It's all a bit Protocols of the Elders of Zion tonight...
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I am the prophet in the wilderness. If we stay on this current course, in ten years time even you will be thinking "Shit, Leon was right"
    Not really. You were screaming about Muslims bla bla in 2016. The Houellebecq-style wave of Islam has not exactly taken hold, instead you reckon people are being TOO modern and progressive.
  • Rishi is ranting about lefty woke culture. He must be yet another @Leon sock puppet.
    To veer away from The Wokening (sort of (for a second or two)) am I the last person to discover Robert Conquest's Three Laws of Politics?

1. Everyone is conservative about what he knows best

2. Any organization not explicitly and constitutionally right-wing will sooner or later become left-wing

3. The behaviour of any bureaucratic organization can best be understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret cabal of its enemies

That's brilliant. Conquest was a genius. All that and the filthy limericks, as well
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

He has plaid that joke elsewhere.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes. It would be wrong if he had plaid it for laughs.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This is not just about woke. This is about the fight between singular and plural. A fight that could determine the very future of the English language.
    Do you insist on using thou/thee etc for the second person singular then?
  • Hustings streams borked?
    eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Do you insist on using thou/thee etc for the second person singular then?
    No:

'You' can be either singular or plural.

'It' is the singular form of 'they'.
    EPG said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Not really. You were screaming about Muslims bla bla in 2016. The Houellebecq-style wave of Islam has not exactly taken hold, instead you reckon people are being TOO modern and progressive.
    We now have de facto blasphemy laws, protecting Islam (but no other religions). And they nearly killed Rushdie the other day

Not really the ideal moment to say "oh it's all fine now"
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

“It’s a conspiracy theory that isn’t real and also it’s good that it’s happening.”
    Leon said:

To veer away from The Wokening (sort of (for a second or two)) am I the last person to discover Robert Conquest's Three Laws of Politics?

2. Any organization not explicitly and constitutionally right-wing will sooner or later become left-wing

3. The behaviour of any bureaucratic organization can best be understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret cabal of its enemies

That's brilliant. Conquest was a genius. All that and the filthy limericks, as well

The EU is one of the best examples of 3.

Of course, 2 is obviously bullshit. But 1 and 3 are broadly correct.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

We now have de facto blasphemy laws, protecting Islam (but no other religions). And they nearly killed Rushdie the other day

Not really the ideal moment to say "oh it's all fine now"
    Right, so on the basis of a lie, and a decades-old death threat, you have ruled that EVERYONE except you and the Donald is ideologically unacceptable.
  • Hustings streams borked?

Back now for Team Truss.
  • Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

There is something destroying America from the inside out:
    Guns having more rights than women
    Cletus the Fetus having more rights than the mother. Until its born. Then it has no rights
    Women heading towards a travel ban in case they are trying to obtain an out-of-Gilead abortion
    Elections still legal for Demtards and non-American races but with only one polling both for half a million people who cares as their votes either won't be cast or counted
    Etc etc etc.

Shitkicker states in America are turning into Gilead right before our eyes. And seemingly you'd rather have that than north of the Mason-Dixon-Sanity line because "woke".

You really need to drink more.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Leon said:

I offer counter-examples to the first two:

1. Climate scientists

2. The Labour Party.

I can't argue against 3.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Conquest apparently cited the Church of England and Amnesty International as obvious examples of 2

I'd say 2 tells a truth (but is not universal)

He also offered the postwar British Secret Service as an example of 3
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes. It would be wrong if he had plaid it for laughs.
    It would Mac for inappropriate levity.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

No thanks. The most ridiculous woke stuff is so silly it will face a counter in time, Trump and co would rewrite rules to prevent a counter if they get the change.
    I think Douglas Murray is brilliant at defining the problem with 'woke', but he is short on solutions to it, and the dangers that he predicts (mass majoritarian revolt) never show any signs of coming to pass. I would say that a mass revolt against woke probably can't happen anyway, because it would be censored by mass social media, it just wouldn't get off the ground in the way that something like BLM could.

From what I see, the alternative (ie Trump or Zemmour) is unlikely to be any better, and just brings with it a whole host of other problems, some of them equally insane.

On a personal level, I think you have to adapt to it, question it, and not take on some kind of 'warrior' mindset. That is the only way you will stay sane.

The problem is that if you think of all this as a war, what happens if you lose? And isn't the war 'lost' already anyway? It would be better to think of yourself as being in the resistance, as then you have a purpose after defeat.

Also, some stuff defined as 'woke' isn't objectively bad... Ie: tesco giving away free tampons to address period poverty, better profile of womens football, domestic violence being taken more seriously, businesses making adaptations for women, widespread roll out of apprenticeships aimed at deprived kids etc.

• IshmaelZ said:

"When you emigrate to Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon personally gives all arrivals a kilt, a set of bag pipes and a license to allow them to hunt Haggis every 3rd Sunday"
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Mail claiming that Fiona Bruce is fav for the Uni Challenge seat.

Give me strength.

I would say she is the worst of the list of 14 names they present other than Brian bloody Cox.

They claim BF gave them the odds, but no sign of the book on my view of BF.

Rishi is ranting about lefty woke culture. He must be yet another @Leon sock puppet.

He's going to tear off a mask, revealing he's actually Sean Thomas, snort a line of heroin and shag every female between the ages of 16 and 25 in the audience (all three of them)?

Mail claiming that Fiona Bruce is fav for the Uni Challenge seat.

Give me strength.

I would say she is the worst of the list of 14 names they present other than Brian bloody Cox.

Which Brian Cox? I would quite like the Succession one.
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

I think the aliens are definitely anglocentric, as they do visit America more than other places.

Indeed it is quite interesting how different countries encounter aliens. In America they are mysterious, highly technological, but do have a tendency to probe hillbilly men's bottoms. In Europe they are more ethereal and tend to preach piously of world peace and environmental action. In South America they tend to be little green men who say bleep.

Either the aliens are trolling us, or it tells you more about the visited society than the visitors.
    Valid observation. Why do American aliens always want to insert things up hillbilly bottoms?

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

“It’s a conspiracy theory that isn’t real and also it’s good that it’s happening.”
    Who are you quoting there?

I think awareness of injustice and prejudice is a good thing, and that is the definition of Woke.

The idea of "Woke" being either a conspiracy or an organised movement is plainly conspiratorial nonsense. Anyone who has spent any time with academics or activists interested in the subject knows that they are in constant disagreement with each other. Indeed disagreement is the lifeblood of any cultural or political study.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Or "Leon was shit, right?"
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Conquest apparently cited the Church of England and Amnesty International as obvious examples of 2

I'd say 2 tells a truth (but is not universal)

He also offered the postwar British Secret Service as an example of 3
    I would point to most of the churches in the US as counter examples.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Valid observation. Why do American aliens always want to insert things up hillbilly bottoms?
    You probably need to ask them...

I suspect that it is deeply repressed homosexuality fantasies and anxieties in repressed hillbilly culture
  • IshmaelZ said:

Sunak "moves on to say – very loudly – that he will take on the “lefty-woke culture that wants to cancel our history, our values and our women”

Erm, pardon? "Our" women? Women aren't property.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1559519407742885890?s=21&t=uPXQpSpBFEv1ODJGoJO6Nw

I'm a trustee of a charity whose electricity bill will rise from
    £8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

You know what this means for businesses, charities, homeowners, industry, hospitals, schools?

Everything will *collapse*.

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Cletus the Fetus having more rights than the mother. Until its born. Then it has no rights
    Women heading towards a travel ban in case they are trying to obtain an out-of-Gilead abortion
    Elections still legal for Demtards and non-American races but with only one polling both for half a million people who cares as their votes either won't be cast or counted
    Etc etc etc.

Shitkicker states in America are turning into Gilead right before our eyes. And seemingly you'd rather have that than north of the Mason-Dixon-Sanity line because "woke".

As I said the other day, America faces a truly terrible choice between the religious freaks on the right, and the Cultural Marxists on the left

I'D RATHER NOT HAVE THAT CHOICE, PERSONALLY

But if forced, I'd go for the freaks as I think there is a better chance of a potent, credible, coherent America emerging from the inevitable rubble. It's a bit like Chile probably benefiting from Pinochet if the alternative is/was a form of Chavez

The most rightwing people I know are Venezuelans

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Or "Leon was shit, right?"
    In ten years more likely 'Who is Leon right now?'
  • Mail claiming that Fiona Bruce is fav for the Uni Challenge seat.

Give me strength.

Fiona Bruce already has QT, Fake or Fortune, Antiques Roadshow. When would she find the time?

IshmaelZ said:

Sunak "moves on to say – very loudly – that he will take on the “lefty-woke culture that wants to cancel our history, our values and our women”

Erm, pardon? "Our" women? Women aren't property.
    yup. He has said it for 4 hustings in a row now. Tone deaf.

Liz has sooooo got this.

https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1559519407742885890?s=21&t=uPXQpSpBFEv1ODJGoJO6Nw

£8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

You know what this means for businesses, charities, homeowners, industry, hospitals, schools?

Not everything, energy company CEOs are probably doing ok.

£8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

Whose idiotic idea was the 'dash for gas?'
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I think awareness of injustice and prejudice is a good thing, and that is the definition of Woke.

The idea of "Woke" being either a conspiracy or an organised movement is plainly conspiratorial nonsense. Anyone who has spent any time with academics or activists interested in the subject knows that they are in constant disagreement with each other. Indeed disagreement is the lifeblood of any cultural or political study.
    I was parodying positions like yours.

If you accept that it’s a genuine movement, why bring up the Protocols of the Elders of Zion?
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

If that is the level of understanding possessed by an apparently intelligent PB-er - and a doctor! - then I genuinely despair
  • Liz's opening speech getting more applause than Rishi's.
    Sunak even forgets his own best lines. Here's *LIZ* getting claps for bonfire of eu legislation. Sunak has a deathwish.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,154
    edited August 2022
    ydoethur said:

£8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

If we were self-sufficient or a net exporter of gas as we were until 2003 we'd be in a fantastic position right now.

Whose idiotic idea was it to stop dashing for gas before we had alternatives in place?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Etc etc etc.

As I said the other day, America faces a truly terrible choice between the religious freaks on the right, and the Cultural Marxists on the left

But if forced, I'd go for the freaks as I think there is a better chance of a potent, credible, coherent America emerging from the inevitable rubble. It's a bit like Chile probably benefiting from Pinochet if the alternative is/was a form of Chavez

Since you're a heterosexual white man you have little to fear from Gilead, unless they do prohibition again in which case you would be fucked. There are plenty of people for whom rule by Christian nationalist fascists would literally be a death sentence. The worst the woke would do to you would be to make you do an implicit bias course or become a vegan.
    kle4 said:

£8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

Not everything, energy company CEOs are probably doing ok.
    Won't they be assassinated?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Georgia doesn't look good for Republicans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8KThbSiFJQ
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Etc etc etc.

Credible.
    Unless you are a woman
    Unless you are gay
    Unless you are non-white
    Unless you don't fly the (Confederate) flag

Nothing about the theocratic women-hating hell that is developing in southern America is credible. And as a man with your own womenfolk, I'm surprised you are cheering on the people who think that should your daughters live within their ministrations should have less rights than a rifle.

Woke is not saying that women should let the man rape them. And then deny them abortion. And then deny them rights to basic human freedoms. Yet if you listen to these fundamentalist GOPper shitkickers thats all they talk about needing to introduce.
  • https://twitter.com/bnhwalker/status/1559567999522246657

Bad news for the Tories as Labour now not seen as extreme, indeed less than the Tories
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

You probably need to ask them...

I suspect that it is deeply repressed homosexuality fantasies and anxieties in repressed hillbilly culture
    That's why Brokeback Mountain was such a beautiful film. My basic rule of thumb has always been that the more angry a man is about evil gayers the more he really fantasises about that massive g-spot in him bumhole.
  • Reagan guru reveals the flaw in Trussenomics
    Liz Truss’s growth plan will only add up if she wins a mandate for deep spending curbs to match her promised tax cuts

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/reagan-guru-reveals-the-flaw-in-trussenomics-cg2rqj5fn (£££)
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2022
    ydoethur said:

£8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

Dashing for our own would have been OK.

I understand that fracking may not have worked, but it was surely worth a try if we were going to insist on being dependent on gas.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Liz's opening speech getting more applause than Rishi's.

Why is this still going on?
    Very sculpted hair this interviewer.
  • ydoethur said:

£8k in 2019
    to
    £50k in 2023.

We're screwed.
    This country, I mean.

If we were self-sufficient or a net exporter of gas as we were until 2003 we'd be in a fantastic position right now.

Whose idiotic idea was it to stop dashing for gas before we had alternatives in place?
    1. We burnt the easy to extract North Sea Reserves
    2. We didn't really profit as a nation as the Norwegians did because a big capitalist Investment Fund is obvious communism vs giving the rights away for a quick profit now
    3. We had alternatives in place. Pipe it from the middle east (sodding Taliban turncoats screwed that up), or from Russia (sodding Putin), or from dunno

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Etc etc etc.

Since you're a heterosexual white man you have little to fear from Gilead, unless they do prohibition again in which case you would be fucked. There are plenty of people for whom rule by Christian nationalist fascists would literally be a death sentence. The worst the woke would do to you would be to make you do an implicit bias course or become a vegan.
    Again, a total inability to grasp what I'm on about

Have you read that article about Wokeness in US medicine? I'll link it one more time

it's long, detailed, brilliant, and terrifying, and gives the lie to any trivial bullshit that Wokeness is merely about "pronouns". And this is just one area of American life

I want my kids to live in a western world that is free, prosperous, dynamic, liberal and Enlightened (in the 18th century sense). All that is, I believe, threatened by this
This discussion has been closed.