Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The flaw in Liz’s reliance on tax cuts – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Political soothsaying has been a mug’s game for a long time now but I will, with absolute confidence, say this: the @trussliz years are going to be truly spectacular.

There will definitely, definitely be a maximum of two of them but they will be spectacular.

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1557313982578450434
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

17 years behind everyone else, and thanks only to my teen daughter, I have discovered “what 3 words”

What an absolutely genius idea. So simple it feels kind of miraculous. Like magic. The world is decoded

And a British start up based in london, as well 👍👍🥂🥂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57156797

What a ridiculous criticism. It’s saying it’s “not always 100% perfect in every single situation”. So that’s a reason not to use an obviously life-saving app?

“Bromsgrove man urging everyone to download the What 3 Words app which saved his dad's life”

https://bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/news/bromsgrove-man-urging-everyone-to-download-the-what-3-words-app-which-saved-his-dads-life/
    What 3 words are very good at placing stories in local papers.

Their word corpus is bad and their spread is mediocre.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,240
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

17 years behind everyone else, and thanks only to my teen daughter, I have discovered “what 3 words”

What an absolutely genius idea. So simple it feels kind of miraculous. Like magic. The world is decoded

What a ridiculous criticism. It’s saying it’s “not always 100% perfect in every single situation”. So that’s a reason not to use an obviously life-saving app?

“Bromsgrove man urging everyone to download the What 3 Words app which saved his dad's life”

https://bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/news/bromsgrove-man-urging-everyone-to-download-the-what-3-words-app-which-saved-his-dads-life/
    What 3 words are very good at placing stories in local papers.

Their word corpus is bad and their spread is mediocre.
    Cue a slew of bitter comments from jealous tech people. Lol
    If you can use what 3 words then you can open google maps and hit share location which gives rescuers an actual location that real people can use.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    Scott_xP said:

Political soothsaying has been a mug’s game for a long time now but I will, with absolute confidence, say this: the @trussliz years are going to be truly spectacular.

There will definitely, definitely be a maximum of two of them but they will be spectacular.

Peck is quite wrong about 2 years. The reign will last for 2 years, 4 months.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited August 2022
    Carnyx said:

What we need in the UK is an honest conversation about, among other things::
    1. Tax levels
    2. Funding of public services
    3. The Union
    4. The general state of our democracy
    5. Our place in the world
    6. Our education system
    7. The changing climate and energy generation
    8. The implications of population ageing
    There is absolutely no way it will happen. As a result, we will continue to lurch from one crisis to the next. Maybe the whole concept of the nation state is failing if it cannot deliver consensus-driven, long-term solutions to major societal challenges.

I think a compelling argument for Scottish independence is that at least some of these questions probably could get addressed through a grown up national conversation in Scotland. There would be fewer resources to address the problems, certainly in the near term. But at least there might be an effort to improve things. I genuinely despair of the UK political and economic situation. And Labour must take some of the blame for not even trying to put solid ideas on the table.
    Are the Scots incapable of conversing before independence? That would be to repeat the Brexit mistake, to leave the union with no settled idea of the desired end state, let alone how to get there.
    Independence *is* the settled idea of the end state.
    I'm a supporter of Scotland's right to decide in principle but what currency are you planning on using whilst you apply for Euro membership ?
    & How's VAT going to be dealt with ?
    Alistair said:

If you can use what 3 words then you can open google maps and hit share location which gives rescuers an actual location that real people can use.

My god you’re a sad fuck
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Yes I agree - it's great.

Where are you right now btw?

I'm guessing lurid*fruit*goggles
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Scott_xP said:

Who do you want to be PM?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Whiny bollocks, they complain that jump legend warblers is in China. It is but the app suggests jumps legend warblers which is in Cumbria where presumably the wanker is and another option in West Virginia. the fact they are so out of the question is a safety feature, an alternative in Yorkshire would be confusing. The alternative is raw figures, grid ref or lat long or range n bearing, which have no inherent self correcting at all. What a prick.
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    Can you tell me what problem what 3 words is solving?
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The location of my balcony of my favourite room in my favourite cheap hotel in the tiny village of Chorto in Pelion Greece is ///cathode.mitigates.hauled

Superb
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,140
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

1. Tax levels
    3. The Union
    6. Our education system
    There is absolutely no way it will happen. As a result, we will continue to lurch from one crisis to the next. Maybe the whole concept of the nation state is failing if it cannot deliver consensus-driven, long-term solutions to major societal challenges.

I think a compelling argument for Scottish independence is that at least some of these questions probably could get addressed through a grown up national conversation in Scotland. There would be fewer resources to address the problems, certainly in the near term. But at least there might be an effort to improve things. I genuinely despair of the UK political and economic situation. And Labour must take some of the blame for not even trying to put solid ideas on the table.
    Are the Scots incapable of conversing before independence? That would be to repeat the Brexit mistake, to leave the union with no settled idea of the desired end state, let alone how to get there.
    I'm a supporter of Scotland's right to decide in principle but what currency are you planning on using whilst you apply for Euro membership ?
    Poiund, of course, concurrent with preparations for independence and negotiations with the EU.
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    Conveying a location in a format with strong ease of communication and very strong error correction compared to alternative formats with neither
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    boulay said:

Just found this one dead in a wasp trap - seems to have died whilst eating a wasp which is clamped in its embrace!

Yep Asian.

Just to clarify my previous post:

Asian - deadly to bees, harmless to humans (unless you are allergic to sting and obviously sting will hurt). Have to be reported if found in the UK

European - common in the UK but not seen often as they don't pester picnics! Slightly bigger than Asian. Also harmless other than pain from sting of course.

Asian Giant Hornet - big, powerful sting. Not here or anywhere near here.

All are big compared to a wasp, so all is relative.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited August 2022
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    It’s easier to remember and to pass on, than lat and long co-ordinates. Was it 52.50ºN, or 52º50’N (those lines are 25 miles apart), for example, or was it “incorrect.horse.battery”, which you know even if your phone dies. Think of it as a worldwide postcode system and it starts to make sense.
  • Scott_xP said:

Dominic Grieve or Anna Soubry !!!
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

1. Tax levels
    3. The Union
    6. Our education system

Poiund, of course, concurrent with preparations for independence and negotiations with the EU.
    OK - Which bank(s) is funding Scotland's deficit during this interim period ?
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    Typing in complex foreign language addresses into car navigation systems which the car does not understand anyway. Now I can navigate the car to an actual DOOR and myself to a particular table in a bar. With three words

This is presumably why:

“Jaguar Land Rover is the latest company to add What 3 Words to in-car navigation features, joining Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, Ford, Subaru, Lamborghini and others with a new look at in-car navigation.”

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/motoring-news/new-mapping-tech-means-you-wont-be-lost-again/news-story/7fb4fe583af25cbcfc992e2dda81dc2b
    edited August 2022

Scott_xP said:

Tugs would have been a sensible if uninspiring PM for non-Johnsonians. Sadly the better (edit- ???) candidates were picked off earlier. Although many not of the Conservative faith had high hopes that Rishi Rich would prevail. He unfortunately has been a shockingly weak candidate.
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    Conveying a location in a format with strong ease of communication and very strong error correction compared to alternative formats with neither
    Every langiage has its own word list so there is no cross language communication i.e. fuck.this.shit in english could be merci.bon.homme in French

The world list is stuffed full of homophones (and even plurals!) that makes it a minefield to do over spoken medium.
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    Every langiage has its own word list so there is no cross language communication i.e. fuck.this.shit in english could be merci.bon.homme in French

The world list is stuffed full of homophones (and even plurals!) that makes it a minefield to do over spoken medium.
    Looks like venture capital is a bit smarter than you, thankfully, as they have just raised £50m and the company is growing exponentially

It’s a simple yet genius idea: those are always the best ideas
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

1. Tax levels
    3. The Union
    6. Our education system

OK - Which bank(s) is funding Scotland's deficit during this interim period ?
    Similar questions for pensions & benefits...

It strikes me that Scottish independence is dependent on an awful lot of goodwill from the Bank of England and UK government in the short to medium term before EU/Euro accession for Scotland.
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

Looks like venture capital is a bit smarter than you, thankfully, as they have just raised £50m and the company is growing exponentially

Their irresponsible and relentless promotion as a life saving tool is contemptible.

Scott_xP said:

Both 10/10s compared to what has just passed and what comes next.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Why are people not fleeing the high tax Nordic states?

We have good governance and low corruption. We get what we pay for.

The UK is a failing state. Taxpayers are getting royally shafted.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The location of my balcony of my favourite room in my favourite cheap hotel in the tiny village of Chorto in Pelion Greece is ///cathode.mitigates.hauled

Superb
    It's a big problem for Mountain Rescue. Generally used by people who have no idea what mountain they are on, and heavily spammed into walking forums by well-meaning fools.

Two main problems:

1) The words can be hard to pronounce or hear over a radio/bad mobile phone reception
    2) They make no spatial reference to anything. If you move a few metres, the words are completely different.

That's why your grid reference + actually knowing what hill you are on are best. Even "the knobbly one above Arrochar" is better.

https://twitter.com/ScottishMR/status/1400093860882178049?t=rAsOeCY5uAtbgIZgCqBjug&s=19

• Scott_xP said:

So why did they comprehensively fail to win their argument and are no longer mps
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb
    It's a big problem for Mountain Rescue. Generally used by people who have no idea what mountain they are on, and heavily spammed into walking forums by well-meaning fools.

Two main problems:

1) The words can be hard to pronounce or hear over a radio/bad mobile phone reception
    2) They make no spatial reference to anything. If you move a few metres, the words are completely different.

That's why your grid reference + actually knowing what hill you are on are best. Even "the knobbly one above Arrochar" is better.

https://twitter.com/ScottishMR/status/1400093860882178049?t=rAsOeCY5uAtbgIZgCqBjug&s=19

Remind me never to take investment advice in start-ups from you
    Also they are an incredibly litigious company that uses law suits to try and stifle criticism.

Scott_xP said:

Apart from their determination to overturn a democratic referendum, great politicians.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Professor John Curtice is generally held in high regard on this board. Does the rule hold today?

The next Tory leader "won't keep the Union safe" by following Boris Johnson's blunt refusal to allow an IndyRef2, the country's top pollster has said.

Professor John Curtice claimed whoever enters Downing Street next month would be better off trying to persuade Scots of the benefits of remaining in the UK.

“My own view is that if Unionists have any sense, they will get involved. Whatever happens, whether we have a referendum or not, Nicola Sturgeon is going to spend the next 12 months trying to increase the level of support for independence.

“If you want to make the Union safe, by far and away the best thing to do, is to actually make the case for the Union and persuade people.

“The reason the Union is in trouble is because, at the moment, only half the people in Scotland want to stay inside it.

"If you can change that fundamental, the Union will be safe. But so long as you don't change that, it won't be.

"I would submit that the attempt in the last two years to simply argue about process has not got the Unionists anywhere."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-wont-keep-union-27686398

“… if Unionists have any sense…” The man is a comedian.

What a ludicrous argument. A Tory government which grants an indyref2 before a generation is up has at best a 50% chance of winning it and keeping the Union together. A Tory government which refuses indyref2 has a 100% chance of keeping the Union together as Union matters are reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998.

The Tories also would not and should not ever need SNP support to form a government unlike Labour. As long as the Tories are largest party even in a hung parliament they can try and stay in government and refuse an indyref2 and leave it to Starmer to u turn and do a deal with the nationalists for No 10 if Labour fails to get most seats
    How on earth is it a ludicrous argument to try and convince the Scots of the benefits of the Union rather than antagonise them. If Scots want to stay the issue goes away.

How do the Tories benefit by being aggressive to the Scots.
    Scotland is divided in a 50 50 no man's land on the Union and independence. Nothing Westminster does will likely shift that much.

However giving the SNP an indyref2 before a generation is up will just lead to the SNP demanding indyref3, indyref4, indyref5 etc until they get the result they want even if won

Not talking about giving them a vote (although I think we should) but talking about being positive about the Union rather than being aggressive towards the Scots. That is what Curtis said.
    Aggressive towards the
    nationalists is not the same as aggressive towards the Scots. Given half the Scots are Unionists and hate the Nationalists
    That post is a very good illustration of your complete ignorance of Scottish society.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

US Constitutional shitbaggery goes back a long way.
    I would wager this was a deliberate error.

I am literally (sic) speechless. Qualified immunity exists because of a CLERICAL ERROR?!
    https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1557178832679014403

Cracking piece of legal research, though.

Qualified Immunity's Flawed Foundation
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4179628

Qualified immunity is one of the most pants on head insane parts of American law as interpreted by the courts.
    The fact that it might have been based on a typo is pretty astounding.
    If confirmed, then I don't see how it stands.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck
    Sharing a location on Google Maps or via Facebook messenger requires a stable, constant connection. From my experience what3words is much better for things like larger crowds where the masts are busy.

For example at Glastonbury I used what3words to save the location of my tent, and regularly used it to send where I was in crowds to my friends.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb

Two main problems:

Those are fair criticisms for use in mountain rescue, but I'm always glad when I receive a location for an Airbnb with what 3 words, as it gives a precision that is helpful for knowing which is the correct drive entrance, etc, which can sometimes be ambiguous.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Dynamo said:

The shelling of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant on 5-6 August: each side says the other side did it:

* the Ukrainian side's story (Ukrinform);
    * the Russian side's story (TASS).

Russia has called a UNSC meeting about it for tomorrow.

How about this mate. Your lot move your occupying troops away from every nuclear site in Ukraine to a radius of 5 miles. And instead an international force secures the sites, with the UN team then able to safely ensure there's no risk of radiation leakage. Prevailing winds can change direction you know.
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

Their irresponsible and relentless promotion as a life saving tool is contemptible.
    Ok, forget car navigation. Try deliveries and couriers. I constantly get them wandering up and down my street looking for the right house, the right place to drop things off, no I meant the side door not that door, yes sorry the house number fell off

Now I can just text them “alistair.twat.luddite” and they will know the exact DOOR to leave my darknet diazepam
  • Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

Webvan raised $396m.

Leon said:

Yes.
    spin.damp.churn
    Fabulous.

Where does correcthorsebattery land you ?
  • Scott_xP said:

So why did they comprehensively fail to win their argument and are no longer mps
    Same reason Truss is tonking Sunak.

It's very easy to run a winning campaign if it doesn't have to be constrained by reality.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    moonshine said:

Dynamo said:

The shelling of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant on 5-6 August: each side says the other side did it:

* the Ukrainian side's story (Ukrinform);
    * the Russian side's story (TASS).

Russia has called a UNSC meeting about it for tomorrow.

How about this mate. Your lot move your occupying troops away from every nuclear site in Ukraine to a radius of 5 miles. And instead an international force secures the sites, with the UN team then able to safely ensure there's no risk of radiation leakage. Prevailing winds can change direction you know.
    Even easier, how about all the Russian occupying troops move away from every site in Ukraine back to Russia?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

I think if you were only reliant on it then I would be more skeptical, but surely a conversation saying 'we are lost climbing Skiddaw, don't know where we are but the what three words is x,y,z' is not an issue if the mis heard words place you in China and or Texas? Many people who need help are needing help because they cannot map read and thus cannot give rescuers a decent location. There are of course other options such as sarloc that will work.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Just seen the cover of the Express. Worthy of North Korea. Or a eschatological cult.

Scott_xP said:

Because the Conservative Party has been hijacked by populists. You can see this in the current leadership contest. The more outrageous the red meat pledge the closer Truss gets to Number 19.

I am no Tory, as you know, but Sunak has a calm authority that most of the nation is comfortable with. His candidacy has been poor but his calm be authority has been drowned out by the excitable proclamations of La Truss. Much the same happened when Johnson prevailed over the broad church Conservative Remainers and kicked them out of your party. Remind me how that worked out.
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb

Two main problems:

While I agree to some extent, the twunks who need help don't know the grid reference and what lump they are on.
    Dura_Ace said:

Is there an iota of value in backing the Rishter at any price now? Surely he's just hanging out of his own arsehole at this point. Shall I do a daft ton on him?

No.
    circle.goal.leader
    circle.goals.leader

Having plurals at all in the system is dumber than a bag of rocks. Having them be locations near each other is shake heads situation
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    edited August 2022
    I've been recalling some discussions I had with people over the years in Scandinavian countries. Many dreamed of moving to England, lured by the freedom. Its a similar thing with people in the UK that idolise the Nordic states. Its generally when you actually take the leap and do it (which most people of course don't) that you realise neither system is perfect, each have their good and bad points.
  • Scott_xP said:

Because the Conservative Party has been hijacked by populists. You can see this in the current leadership contest. The more outrageous the red meat pledge the closer Truss gets to Number 19.

I am no Tory, as you know, but Sunak has a calm authority that most of the nation is comfortable with. His candidacy has been poor but his calm be authority has been drowned out by the excitable proclamations of La Truss. Much the same happened when Johnson prevailed over the broad church Conservative Remainers and kicked them out of your party. Remind me how that worked out.
    The Remainers you refer to in the conservative party, who are no longer mps, tried to subvert the referendum result and I have no sympathy with them
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

1 is a feature not a bug. Again, rules out close matched

2 we have done this. if jump puts you in Shanghai it also suggests jumps which is where you are expecting it to be

3 what always strikes me about emergency communications protocols is how intentionally cumulative and redundant they are, on a well equipped yacht you can send distress signals by 5 or 6 entirely separate radio systems or smoke or flare or hand signals or flags or sounds or anything else. Let a thousand flowers bloom. Your Send location on Google maps idea is great, but imagine the very common situation where you have flaky internet but better phone signal. Once you have got your 3 words plus voice signal and 999 you are golden even if you lose internet.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

I think if you were only reliant on it then I would be more skeptical, but surely a conversation saying 'we are lost climbing Skiddaw, don't know where we are but the what three words is x,y,z' is not an issue if the mis heard words place you in China and or Texas? Many people who need help are needing help because they cannot map read and thus cannot give rescuers a decent location. There are of course other options such as sarloc that will work.
    What I don't understand is why mountain rescue are not just given access to the location trackers inserted by the covid vaccines?
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb

Two main problems:

The criticism here seems to be “we would rather you use specific Ordnance Survey grid references when you are alone and dying in a snowstorm on Ben Nevis”

So yes just get out the map and your protractor and your Google maps and work out the grid reference and then send it to us in a vellum envelope carried by a hired specialist with a helicopter, then we will come and save you

Don’t just text “idiot.jealous.techies” before fainting from cold, even if that specifies your location down to a 3 metre square, because it MIGHT be wrong

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb

Two main problems:

While I agree to some extent, the twunks who need help don't know the grid reference and what lump they are on.
    Yeah it’s better than nothing, to the idiot who went up a random “mountain” in his shorts and flip-flops. Which sadly, is far too many people.

Half of me thinks that the national parks should charge an optional insurance admission fee - but if you don’t have it and need a helicopter, you’re getting a decent proportion of the bill.
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Apart from their determination to overturn a democratic referendum, great politicians.
    That is a spurious argument and always was. I was with them all the way to GE2019 with the call for a democratic second referendum, if the voters, having got a better idea of what Brexit meant could change their minds, that smacks of democracy in action to me. If Conservative Governments can call elections every two years to conveniently maintain their mandate, I don't see why a second referendum was undemocratic.

Anyway Brexit has been done, and in the mind of this former Remainer, we are where we are and there is no going back.

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

What I don't understand is why mountain rescue are not just given access to the location trackers inserted by the covid vaccines?
    Because the anti-vaxxers are the ones who also don't use maps, as maps are a plot by the illuminati.
    edited August 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Yes.
    spin.damp.churn
    Fabulous.

There's a correct.horses.battery in Quebec.

lost.password.zebra is on Baffin Island.

This goes to show how large Canada is, I guess.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    I don't see what's wrong with using an astrolabe.
    If it was me I would have said It's like aviation, addresses is English only, and I would have looked at eliminating plurals and homophones at the expense of having to be what 4 words
    But I expect they thought of that

Leaving emergency aside the last 2 tradesmen I have needed to give directions to have asked for w3w unprompted

Scott_xP said:

The Remainers you refer to in the conservative party, who are no longer mps, tried to subvert the referendum result and I have no sympathy with them
    Broadly true of Grieve and perhaps most of those who left voluntarily. Not true of any other MP I can think of kicked out of the Tory party by Boris.
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Professor John Curtice is generally held in high regard on this board. Does the rule hold today?

The next Tory leader "won't keep the Union safe" by following Boris Johnson's blunt refusal to allow an IndyRef2, the country's top pollster has said.

Professor John Curtice claimed whoever enters Downing Street next month would be better off trying to persuade Scots of the benefits of remaining in the UK.

“My own view is that if Unionists have any sense, they will get involved. Whatever happens, whether we have a referendum or not, Nicola Sturgeon is going to spend the next 12 months trying to increase the level of support for independence.

“If you want to make the Union safe, by far and away the best thing to do, is to actually make the case for the Union and persuade people.

“The reason the Union is in trouble is because, at the moment, only half the people in Scotland want to stay inside it.

"If you can change that fundamental, the Union will be safe. But so long as you don't change that, it won't be.

"I would submit that the attempt in the last two years to simply argue about process has not got the Unionists anywhere."

I agree with him. The government needs to run a positive case for the Union consistently. Help for those struggling with heating bills is as good a place as any to start.
    The idea a single Yes voter is going to switch to No because they get a few more Westminster funds for heating bills that would in turn have to be funded by tax rises anyway is divorced from reality
    Since you are such an expert on Yes voters, what policies are going to switch their preference to No?
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

2 we have done this. if jump puts you in Shanghai it also suggests jumps which is where you are expecting it to be

On 2. W3W geographic spread is awful

https://what3words.com/deep.pink.start
    https://what3words.com/deep.pinks.start

1 character errors have a high chance of landing you with a few kilometers of your intended location and so the autosuggest shows you the same general area.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926

I'm always glad when I receive a location for an Airbnb with what 3 words, as it gives a precision that is helpful for knowing which is the correct drive entrance, etc, which can sometimes be ambiguous.

Yeah, it's a clever idea with some definite uses. My issue with it is that I think it would be a terrible idea for us to end up with the 'standard' location/coordinate system being one under the control of a single for-profit company, because if they do get themselves into that status they'll immediately start leveraging it to suck money out of everybody. If it was a publicly defined system that anybody could freely use and implement, and they made their money with an app or by selling their implementation to car and satnav companies, I'd have no problems with it.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Yes.
    spin.damp.churn
    Fabulous.

By a nice pine tree in a forest near Schefferville, Quebec

“Here is a precise what3words address, made of 3 random words. Every 3 metre square in the world has its own unique what3words address.

///correct.horses.battery
    https://w3w.co/correct.horses.battery

I don't see what's wrong with using an astrolabe.

Be good if you could buy personal number plates too. greatest.loving.machine.

Scott_xP said:

No they didn't. They tried to subvert the will of Lord Frost, which appears more egregiously unacceptable.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    I think Liz Truss - with her promises of tax cuts and golden uplands - is another example of how, in democracies, the population get the politicians it deserves.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes.
    spin.damp.churn
    Fabulous.
    It feels like one of those apps which is going to explode. Like Spotify or something

Cars are already incorporating it into their navigation tech

https://www.zdnet.com/article/subaru-is-latest-car-maker-to-use-what3words-for-in-car-navigation/

They are going to make SO much money
    I hate it.

The words have no pattern to them so you can't say whether two references are near each other or on the opposite side of the world. Same problem applies if you mishear one word.

If I have a paper map in the UK I can give you an OS grid reference without recourse to any technology. For this I need a stupid app.

If I'm sending someone a geolink by phone I don't need this either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_URI_scheme
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

The future of the Union is reserved to Westminster

No it isn't

FUDHY believes that if he says something often enough, it makes it true.
  • Scott_xP said:

But it's not just the Greive/Soubry types is it? The "leave, but don't blow things up" types, the TMays, Rory-the-ex-Tories, the Spreadsheet Phils... They are all out of the party or an irrelevant fringe. The ones who accepted the result of 2016 and tried to make it work for those who didn't bellyfeel Brexit.

So now we have the madness of Rishi Sunak, Rishi Sunak being insufficiently Brexit for some;

[Truss] is the only candidate that’s going to get [Brexit] done. All of the others will be run by the civil service, and will cave to them,” Tory Brexiteer Marcus Fysh told Nigel Farage on GB News this week.

https://www.politico.eu/article/rishi-sunak-uk-how-the-brexit-thatcherite-unwittingly-became-the-tory-left/
    TBF to @Leon , Rishi is even more impressed by everyday bits of unremarkable tech...

Rishi Sunak: “The most embarrassing thing that's happened to me is I struggled to pay for the petrol in a car that wasn't my own... And since then someone's taught me how to use that contactless machine. And I tell you, it's an amazing modern marvel this technology these days!”
    https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1557096195243253761

He sounds less with it than my octogenarian mum.
  • Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

1 character errors have a high chance of landing you with a few kilometers of your intended location
    Try deep.pink.start vs deep.pink.starts. I make it potentially 2,301 miles by car as a result of leaving one character off the end of a phrase.
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

1 character errors have a high chance of landing you with a few kilometers of your intended location
    You’re either a moron or a bitterly envious tech bro who wishes they’d thought of this. Perhaps both? Most people have a general sense of where they are, or where they are going. The problem is specifying exactly

This does it. With three words.

Can people still make mistakes? Of course they can. But they can also lose maps or Google maps can stop working or they can - for whatever reason - forget, or mistype “89.04676 degrees N and 0.3486 degrees E”
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,763

Scott_xP said:

80 seat majority? Calm can be overrated.

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

That is a spurious argument and always was. I was with them all the way to GE2019 with the call for a democratic second referendum, if the voters, having got a better idea of what Brexit meant could change their minds, that smacks of democracy in action to me. If Conservative Governments can call elections every two years to conveniently maintain their mandate, I don't see why a second referendum was undemocratic.

Anyway Brexit has been done, and in the mind of this former Remainer, we are where we are and there is no going back.
    Not wanting to retread arguments from three or four years ago, but re-running a referendum - without first having implemented the result of the original referendum - was indeed an attempt to deny democracy.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't

That is not unusual on pb.com :)
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

What a ludicrous argument. A Tory government which grants an indyref2 before a generation is up has at best a 50% chance of winning it and keeping the Union together. A Tory government which refuses indyref2 has a 100% chance of keeping the Union together as Union matters are reserved to Westminster under the Scotland Act 1998.

The Tories also would not and should not ever need SNP support to form a government unlike Labour. As long as the Tories are largest party even in a hung parliament they can try and stay in government and refuse an indyref2 and leave it to Starmer to u turn and do a deal with the nationalists for No 10 if Labour fails to get most seats
    How on earth is it a ludicrous argument to try and convince the Scots of the benefits of the Union rather than antagonise them. If Scots want to stay the issue goes away.

How do the Tories benefit by being aggressive to the Scots.
    Scotland is divided in a 50 50 no man's land on the Union and independence. Nothing Westminster does will likely shift that much.
    I disagree. Westminster has done an outstanding job in shifting Scottish voters to supporting independence. Keep up the good work!
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

You’re either a moron or a bitterly envious tech bro who wishes they’d thought of this. Perhaps both? Most people have a general sense of where they are, or where they are going. The problem is specifying exactly

Can people still make mistakes? Of course they can. But they can also lose maps or Google maps can stop working or they can - for whatever reason - forget, or mistype “89.04676 degrees N and 0.3486 degrees E”
    The point is the kind of mistakes that can be made and the situations W3W relentlessly promotes and the safeguards they have claimed and proven to be false.
    Nigelb said:

TBF to @Leon , Rishi is even more impressed by everyday bits of unremarkable tech...

Rishi Sunak: “The most embarrassing thing that's happened to me is I struggled to pay for the petrol in a car that wasn't my own... And since then someone's taught me how to use that contactless machine. And I tell you, it's an amazing modern marvel this technology these days!”
    https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1557096195243253761

He sounds less with it than my octogenarian mum.

LOL, he’s not put petrol in a car since he was a teenager. Before he had a government car, the family driver would make sure the tank was always full in the morning.
  • darkage said:

I think Liz Truss - with her promises of tax cuts and golden uplands - is another example of how, in democracies, the population get the politicians it deserves.

Oi. Don't blame "the population" for the next prime minister.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited August 2022

[Truss] is the only candidate that’s going to get [Brexit] done. All of the others will be run by the civil service, and will cave to them,” Tory Brexiteer Marcus Fysh told Nigel Farage on GB News this week.

https://www.politico.eu/article/rishi-sunak-uk-how-the-brexit-thatcherite-unwittingly-became-the-tory-left/

What the fuck does he want? The UK to leave again?

I'm glad I gobbed on the driver's door handle of his fucking stupid Subaru Legacy.
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

It is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Lets ask Mountain Rescue:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

Try deep.pink.start vs deep.pink.starts. I make it potentially 2,301 miles by car as a result of leaving one character off the end of a phrase.
    That's fine, good even - the auto suggest and human knowledge protects you from the character error. The problem is when the autosuggest suggests the same general area due to a character error. Then there is nothing to catch the mistake because the similar words have got you to a similar but incorrect area.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes.
    spin.damp.churn
    Fabulous.
    It feels like one of those apps which is going to explode. Like Spotify or something

Cars are already incorporating it into their navigation tech

https://www.zdnet.com/article/subaru-is-latest-car-maker-to-use-what3words-for-in-car-navigation/

They are going to make SO much money
    I hate it.

The words have no pattern to them so you can't say whether two references are near each other or on the opposite side of the world. Same problem applies if you mishear one word.

If I have a paper map in the UK I can give you an OS grid reference without recourse to any technology. For this I need a stupid app.

If I'm sending someone a geolink by phone I don't need this either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_URI_scheme
    Yes. Let’s all go back to paper maps. They’re brilliant

Then, if you’re lost and want someone to find you, in a hurricane, you can get out your paper map and have a wild inaccurate guess as to where you are, circle that roughly wrong 12-mild-wide place on the map then, er, take a photo of the scribbled-on map and send the image to a friend so they at least know you’ve got a map?

Or you could text “for.fucks.sake” and they’d know which specific tree you were sheltering by, but that’s too easy and also you might mistype

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb

Two main problems:

The criticism here seems to be “we would rather you use specific Ordnance Survey grid references when you are alone and dying in a snowstorm on Ben Nevis”

So yes just get out the map and your protractor and your Google maps and work out the grid reference and then send it to us in a vellum envelope carried by a hired specialist with a helicopter, then we will come and save you

Don’t just text “idiot.jealous.techies” before fainting from cold, even if that specifies your location down to a 3 metre square, because it MIGHT be wrong
    Chill, I think it's a brilliant invention for most situations

The problem is their advertising strongly emphasises their use in emergency situations, while those who actually do the rescuing advise against it.

People fuck up grid references all the time. But you can almost always work out what someone meant to say. Same goes with Gaelic pronunciations.

I say this as someone who had the sad task of relaying the possible location of a body to mountain rescue a few years ago.

There is an equally genius OS locate app which is basically the same thing as what3words.
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

That's fine, good even - the auto suggest and human knowledge protects you from the character error. The problem is when the autosuggest suggests the same general area due to a character error. Then there is nothing to catch the mistake because the similar words have got you to a similar but incorrect area.
    https://what3words.com/circle.goal.leader
    https://what3words.com/circle.goals.leader
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

Webvan raised $396m.
    Webvan forms the basis of Amazon Logistics, the world's third largest private logistics company.

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't

Ha, he is experienced enough to realise that endless REPITITION is not sufficient to make something TRUE. A generous helping of CAPITAL LETTERS is needed as well.
    edited August 2022
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

1 character errors have a high chance of landing you with a few kilometers of your intended location and so the autosuggest shows you the same general area.
    The detail of their implementation might be poor, but that doesn't mean the idea isn't genius.

And there are lots of things that have been good enough that they've ended up being used very widely, even if they've been lacking in some detail.
    The PB consensus on What 3 Words is that

WE SHOULD ALL GO BACK TO PAPER MAPS
    Another Amnesty Int'l head resigned due to disagreement with its report on🇺🇦

"I've been member for almost 60 years. With heavy heart I end my cooperation due to Amnesty's claims re war in Ukraine," co-founder of Swedish branch of Amnesty Int Per Wästberg

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1557310789312208898
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited August 2022
    I mean it's not quite MSFT but I suppose it's early days.

1,000 customers; making a loss (no surprise there); last had a $45m funding round; valued at $250m, not huge by any means - look at some of the recent trade exits.

Suggests they will be bought out by someone soon.

Worst thing would be for the founders to wait for a higher valuation and then someone creates what.three.fruit.

Edit: https://www.businessofapps.com/data/what3words-statistics/
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    MGRS is the best location system because it has selective precision depending on what you're using it for and it's designed to work over voice comms.

Mrs DA likes W3W because it's "human". She's usually right about everything.
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

My god you’re a sad fuck

Fair enough. Disappointing because you would have thought the algorithm I was assuming would be pretty easy to write. But what you are saying is a * tiny proportion* of errors cause non gross ambiguities whereas all transpositions and omissions in a numerical grid system do, and also don't have "that's not a number" error checking vs "that's not a word." So 2 nil.

Also it is satisfying to know how many words per what size square you need. A bit like when Munro set out to list the Munros, guesstimates ranged from about 10 to 5000.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Superb

Two main problems:

Chill, I think it's a brilliant invention for most situations

The problem is their advertising strongly emphasises their use in emergency situations, while those who actually do the rescuing advise against it.

People fuck up grid references all the time. But you can almost always work out what someone meant to say. Same goes with Gaelic pronunciations.

I say this as someone who had the sad task of relaying the possible location of a body to mountain rescue a few years ago.

There is an equally genius OS locate app which is basically the same thing as what3words.
    I'm stuck up Snowdonia, under a tree. HERE.I.AM

"Hmm can you try again, that location is in Spain"

"Ah yes sorry, HEAR.I.AM"

"Thanks we'll be right there".

Doesn't sound that hard to me?
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Not wanting to retread arguments from three or four years ago, but re-running a referendum - without first having implemented the result of the original referendum - was indeed an attempt to deny democracy.
    For the millionth time, no it wasn't.

If, say a May Government has decided to disregard the non- binding Referendum result because the close to Brexit we got the more apparent the cluster**** , I would agree with you. But having seen the cluster**** on the horizon it was perfectly acceptable for the Government to seek a second opinion, which of course might just have reiterated the first. Now Brexiteers were ( and still are) crying foul because they believe they would have lost a second Referendum

As I said earlier, it's over. Brexit is done, now let's see the enthusiasts make it work.
  • theakestheakes Posts: 839
    Another U turn. Today Truss not ruling out "Hand outs"
    Assuming she wins will Sunak accept a post in Government, if even offered?. Will he even remain an MP.
    What another potential by election, that would make it 7!!!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    That said, I am staring at Google Maps and can't for the life of me see where it says "share location".

w3w is fantastic if you drive somewhere unknown in an unknown area, leave a car there (or, ahem, a horsebox) and have to get back to it later on.
    theakes said:

Another U turn. Today Truss not ruling out "Hand outs"
    Assuming she wins will Sunak accept a post in Government, if even offered?. Will he even remain an MP.
    What another potential by election, that would make it 7!!!

Not sure there is a job for Sunak that he would both be offered and accept so my guess is he becomes the equivalent of Hunt during Bozo's reign. Sunak won't resign as an MP but not sure he will stand again in 2024.
This discussion has been closed.