Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB lead in Redwall seats now up to 15% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

The stab in the back myth aligned with the king 'o the water is going to poison things for years and Johnson will love stirring the cauldron.

Talking of which:

Liz Truss says she would vote to end the privileges committee investigation into whether the PM misled parliament (if such a vote existed)

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1557089965741412352

Kill him why you can Liz. Or he will destroy you.
    Jeez she really is clueless . Even if she could do this it would look shocking to the public that she’s trying to get Johnson off. The more I see of her the more I loathe her .
    At least she will purge Woke Lefty language from our primary schools mathematics:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/148813032645083136?t=-hz6iHTle5tqKhQMeLSLdA&s=19
    How absolutely extraordinary. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of those words. Or is pretending not to. I don't know which is worse.

Edit: I had to go back and look again. But it does seem to be her account, not a parody one.
    Some twenty odd years ago I thought a tutorial student was taking the piss when using 'times' as a verb instead of 'multiply'. As in "you times a with b to get c". Regrettably, that seems to be the language used in schools nowadays.

In their defence, they do get taught ‘times’ tables.
    I was certainly - in about 1979 or 1980 - taught times tables.

And I did A Level maths and went to Cambridge, and I would probably have said "times", rather than "multiply".
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Newton Dunn is a star.

Truss as bad as my worst fears. Johnsons downfall was bookended by Paterson and Pincher. Saying she would vote down the privileges committee inquiry into Johnson shows how little she understands or minds that

That, and the media stuff identified by TND.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,638

SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

Democrats: 76%
    Independents: 44%
    Republicans: 12%

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1557092713631137792

To be honest given the scale of the other pre-existing Trump related problems, like cheering the mob trying to murder his VP during a coup, and planning to rig the 2024 elections, I would have gone for not a very big problem.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    I see Big Dog is back and pronouncing on the energy crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/09/johnson-absolutely-certain-next-pm-will-offer-more-help-for-households

Re-assuring they are wargaming blackouts.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

The stab in the back myth aligned with the king 'o the water is going to poison things for years and Johnson will love stirring the cauldron.

Talking of which:

Liz Truss says she would vote to end the privileges committee investigation into whether the PM misled parliament (if such a vote existed)

Jeez she really is clueless . Even if she could do this it would look shocking to the public that she’s trying to get Johnson off. The more I see of her the more I loathe her .
    At least she will purge Woke Lefty language from our primary schools mathematics:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/148813032645083136?t=-hz6iHTle5tqKhQMeLSLdA&s=19
    How absolutely extraordinary. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of those words. Or is pretending not to. I don't know which is worse.

Edit: I had to go back and look again. But it does seem to be her account, not a parody one.
    Some twenty odd years ago I thought a tutorial student was taking the piss when using 'times' as a verb instead of 'multiply'. As in "you times a with b to get c". Regrettably, that seems to be the language used in schools nowadays.

So was I in the 1940s. And they went up to 12!

Nevertheless, the act of multiplication was described as "times". You said "six times seven is forty two".
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/09/johnson-absolutely-certain-next-pm-will-offer-more-help-for-households

With the blackouts what would be expecting? A night without power or an hour without power at a time?
  • Options

Liz is mad.
    We *were* warned.

"Women like that are so HOT!"
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I wonder how labour will regards this. As sinners who are repenting or will they realise they need to make a worthwhile offer to the red wall to keep this advantage. For many years these areas have just regularly voted labour and labour took them for granted.

Labour detest white van, Flag of St George bigots. I suspect Rishi Rich isn't keen either. Only Liz is the working class bigot's friend.
    Having just watched the commonwealth games with England competing under same Flag of St George, I think calling them bigots is a stretch.
    No, no, no. Waving a Flag of St George at the Alexandra Stadium, Wembley or Twickenham really is fine. Sticking one on your house in Bromsgrove, Bromley, or Bromley Cross for the most part is telling a different story. And you knew that is where I was coming from.
    Sorry but purely classist point. I am genuinely confident that a majority of flag displayers in all those Br places are innocent football fans, why aren't you?

Chaps sometimes need vans, while i am at it, and for reasons unknown 95% of vans are white. I used to own one myself, an LDV since you ask. And not as part of a sinister anti immigrant agenda.
    I love the sarcasm.

Also Vans are white because they are cheaper.
    Sarcasm?

Cheaper because there's more of them or because it's cheaper to paint them that colour?

And anyway not the point, really. If you argue from van colour as proxy for poverty to moral character, what analogous arguments are you happy with?
    The white van as far as I am aware has never been a proxy for poverty. You are right it is nonetheless used as a slander alluding to a stereotypical moral character. It is a lazy stereotype, but I can work with that.
    No, I was deriving that purely from the White vans is cheaper point I was replying to

Was national kickball under way at the time of the nugee tweet?
    I may be wrong, but I suspect the chap being sneered at by Thornbury was a genuine patriot and not just a football fan. In Thornbury's defence I would be happy to sneer over the top of my Guardian too.
    Genuine patriot is sneering material? Harmless buffoonery in my book, it is football fans I reserve the weapons grade contempt for. Funny old world.

One guy on this ward is getting morphine and the other 2 have got opiate envy and suddenly telling the nurses their agony rating has rocketed to 8/8. Sadly I initially rated mine 1 or 2 so stuck with paracetamol.
    Medics are far too worried about handing out proper painkillers because of unfounded concerns around addiction and Harold Shipman.
    OTOH my considered view is paracetamol is much more effective than people think, because you can get it OTC. I have a major tramadol stockpile because paracetamol is more effective, except recreationally
    There's a lot of clinical trials that back up that assertion.
    When I was recovering from very painful surgery I found paracetamol to be by far the most effective. Couldn’t stand morphine: utterly hated it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Cookie said:

Another heartbreakingly lovely sunset on England's Atlantic Coast.
    I almost
    feel like I can never come back to Cornwall. It can surely never be this good again.

It's a pretty gorgeous sunset on this part of the West coast too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Nevertheless, the act of multiplication was described as "times". You said "six times seven is forty two".
    But not "timesed by", which is what I've heard kids say. It's the ugly verbing of "times" that is the issue
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

And I did A Level maths and went to Cambridge, and I would probably have said "times", rather than "multiply".
    Times? You mean you didn't get taught Telegraph tables?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,776

dixiedean said:

With the blackouts what would be expecting? A night without power or an hour without power at a time?
    Anecdotally, my family - pretty affluent - is freaking out about energy price rises. My sister reckons she will be paying £800 a month this winter. But she does have a fuck off big house in a handsome town on the Cornish coast with a sea view, massive garden, three bathrooms, and five bedrooms

My sympathy is a touch limited. Also I was bitterly jealous of anyone who had a big house and garden for most of Covid, and now suddenly the advantages of having a small 1 bed flat in the urban heat island of London become apparent, once again, especially if said flat has floor-to-ceiling south facing windows. My fuel bills are TINY

But what about the poor fuckers in Scotland and N England?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I wonder how labour will regards this. As sinners who are repenting or will they realise they need to make a worthwhile offer to the red wall to keep this advantage. For many years these areas have just regularly voted labour and labour took them for granted.

Labour detest white van, Flag of St George bigots. I suspect Rishi Rich isn't keen either. Only Liz is the working class bigot's friend.
    Having just watched the commonwealth games with England competing under same Flag of St George, I think calling them bigots is a stretch.
    No, no, no. Waving a Flag of St George at the Alexandra Stadium, Wembley or Twickenham really is fine. Sticking one on your house in Bromsgrove, Bromley, or Bromley Cross for the most part is telling a different story. And you knew that is where I was coming from.
    Sorry but purely classist point. I am genuinely confident that a majority of flag displayers in all those Br places are innocent football fans, why aren't you?

Chaps sometimes need vans, while i am at it, and for reasons unknown 95% of vans are white. I used to own one myself, an LDV since you ask. And not as part of a sinister anti immigrant agenda.
    I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Cheaper because there's more of them or because it's cheaper to paint them that colour?

And anyway not the point, really. If you argue from van colour as proxy for poverty to moral character, what analogous arguments are you happy with?
    The white van as far as I am aware has never been a proxy for poverty. You are right it is nonetheless used as a slander alluding to a stereotypical moral character. It is a lazy stereotype, but I can work with that.
    No, I was deriving that purely from the White vans is cheaper point I was replying to

I may be wrong, but I suspect the chap being sneered at by Thornbury was a genuine patriot and not just a football fan. In Thornbury's defence I would be happy to sneer over the top of my Guardian too.
    Genuine patriot is sneering material? Harmless buffoonery in my book, it is football fans I reserve the weapons grade contempt for. Funny old world.

One guy on this ward is getting morphine and the other 2 have got opiate envy and suddenly telling the nurses their agony rating has rocketed to 8/8. Sadly I initially rated mine 1 or 2 so stuck with paracetamol.
    Medics are far too worried about handing out proper painkillers because of unfounded concerns around addiction and Harold Shipman.
    OTOH my considered view is paracetamol is much more effective than people think, because you can get it OTC. I have a major tramadol stockpile because paracetamol is more effective, except recreationally
    When I was recovering from very painful surgery I found paracetamol to be by far the most effective. Couldn’t stand morphine: utterly hated it.
    You need the good stuff. China white
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    edited August 2022
    Selebian said:

"I'm somebody who wants to see farmers producing food." - Truss.

Give me strength. The level of the debate in these hustings is enough to drive one to absinthe.

It's when it's enough to drive you to Truss that you really need to worry
    The point is a good deal more profound than you think. Farmers are currently being encouraged to leave the industry, 'rewild', grow biomass, put solar panels up - do almost anything but provide the nourishing food that we need secure supplies of. To the extent that many believe a food crisis is being engineered deliberately.

Even the Bible weighs in on this issue. 'Unused fields could yield plenty of food for the poor, but unjust men keep them from being farmed.'

It's extremely heartening the way Truss feels about British food producers and her repeated commitment to farms producing food.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Bloody glad we have 2 stoves which will heat the house and on one of which we can cook stews. And lots and lots of candles. Also I remember the 1970's when we had something similar, under an equally useless Tory government too.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    So, anecdote time. This is someone told me, that someone told them, that someone experienced this and told them about it. So, make of it what you will, but this story is going around now.

Woman had a bicycle accident in London and had to go to A&E. They told her there that she should have a tetanus jab, but they didn't have any in the hospital, so they sent her to a pharmacy to pay for one instead. *And* they didn't have any slings, so one of the nurses improvised one out of her tights.

Not sure if I believe it. Can things really be that bad? Maybe they are. People will tend to trust stories that are told to them by people they trust though, and I trust the person who told me, and she trusts the person who told her, so...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Yuk

• Options

dixiedean said:

I should imagine that's what they are wargaming.
    There will be plentiful offerings to the deities from CCHQ for a mild winter I should imagine.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

So, anecdote time. This is someone told me, that someone told them, that someone experienced this and told them about it. So, make of it what you will, but this story is going around now.

Woman had a bicycle accident in London and had to go to A&E. They told her there that she should have a tetanus jab, but they didn't have any in the hospital, so they sent her to a pharmacy to pay for one instead. *And* they didn't have any slings, so one of the nurses improvised one out of her tights.

Not sure if I believe it. Can things really be that bad? Maybe they are. People will tend to trust stories that are told to them by people they trust though, and I trust the person who told me, and she trusts the person who told her, so...

The one and only time I sought assistance from the NHS in London I was horrified. Honestly one of the most traumatic incidents in my life. Much worse than improvised sling or lack of tetanus jag.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

The language has developed. You can now say "you times six with seven to get forty one".

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

I intrinsically distrust FOAF. (Friend of a friend). Also goes by urban legends.

Jan is the absolute authority in this field. I recommend his books such as

https://amazon.co.uk/Too-Good-True-Colossal-Legends/dp/039334715X

See also the Bristol Zoo Car Park Attendant story.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Anecdotally, my family - pretty affluent - is freaking out about energy price rises. My sister reckons she will be paying £800 a month this winter. But she does have a fuck off big house in a handsome town on the Cornish coast with a sea view, massive garden, three bathrooms, and five bedrooms

My sympathy is a touch limited. Also I was bitterly jealous of anyone who had a big house and garden for most of Covid, and now suddenly the advantages of having a small 1 bed flat in the urban heat island of London become apparent, once again, especially if said flat has floor-to-ceiling south facing windows. My fuel bills are TINY

But what about the poor fuckers in Scotland and N England?
    Wood and coal burning stoves will help some. Lots of free wooden pallets around here and an ash tree which has to be taken down because of disease.

But yes all will be affected and it is a big worry. I am so glad that I spent a small fortune insulating the house. It will help a bit.

But those who live in poorly insulated or damp houses are going to have a very tough time and a government which appears to be living in a world of its own imagination is not going to help.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I should imagine that's what they are wargaming.
    There will be plentiful offerings to the deities from CCHQ for a mild winter I should imagine.
    Global warming to the rescue?
  • Options

The NHS is sporadically appalling, and has been for some time

MY anecdote from about five years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with a raging pain, the likes of which it is hard to describe. The pain was so bad, at one point I was convulsively projectile vomiting down the landing of my flat- five metres - then I was collapsing on to the floor and sobbing for my mother (this is all true) and finally it got so bad I passed out for a couple of hours. No word of a lie

Before I passed out I managed to call 999 and groaned my address and told them I was in fierce pain, thought I was dying, maybe heart attack, please please please help. They said they were very concerned for me and would send an ambulance at once

The ambulance never came. At about 8am I woke up, still in pain, but somewhat better, and with enough energy to Uber to A&E

Kidney stone

Where was the ambulance? Why did it never even show up? I do not believe they triaged me from my one gasping phone call
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

Selebian said:

Give me strength. The level of the debate in these hustings is enough to drive one to absinthe.

The point is a good deal more profound than you think. Farmers are currently being encouraged to leave the industry, 'rewild', grow biomass, put solar panels up - do almost anything but provide the nourishing food that we need secure supplies of. To the extent that many believe a food crisis is being engineered deliberately.
    The same people who believe Ukraine is Russian?
  • Options

The one and only time I sought assistance from the NHS in London I was horrified. Honestly one of the most traumatic incidents in my life. Much worse than improvised sling or lack of tetanus jag.
    Not even so much as a nurse shedding her tights for you?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Truss says she would vote to stop privileges committee inquiry into PM
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1557089689261285380?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw
  • Options
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

The language has developed. You can now say "you times six with seven to get forty one".

The arithmetic too by the look of it
  • Options
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Nah it is more like six times seven is £47.25 after service is automatically added. Or six times is seven was £42 last year, after inflation it is £48 this year. And of course for triple locked pensioners it is £50.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

'I share the deep concern of millions of Americans over the unprecedented search of the personal residence of President Trump. No former President of the United States has ever been subject to a raid of their personal residence in American history. After years where FBI agents were found to be acting on political motivation during our administration, the appearance of continued partisanship by the Justice Department must be addressed.'

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1557031914829135872?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1557031916322390017?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw

Clear though most Democrats and Independents see this could be a problem for Trump, even if most Republicans don't
  • Options
    EPG said:

Selebian said:

I'm sure there's some crossover.

As an implacable opponent of Russian expansionism, I would hope you would agree with me (and Liz Truss) that a secure domestic supply of both energy and food is hugely important.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Paracetamol works best in anticipation of pain, so with something like a hip replacement take it 6-hourly rather than wait for the pain to start, then take it.

It works great in IV form and as suppositories too, though sticking medication up your bum is thought rather Continental by Brits.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1557089689261285380?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw

The ghost of Owen Paterson's political career say hi!
  • Options

By party:

Its appropriate that the people not sure what they are themselves are also not sure about Trump.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Bloody glad we have 2 stoves which will heat the house and on one of which we can cook stews. And lots and lots of candles. Also I remember the 1970's when we had something similar, under an equally useless Tory government too.
    Generation easy street are going to vomit up their spleens.
    But, as ever, ignoring for a moment the price issues, in terms of rolling blackouts etc theres nothing new under the sun.
    Dad always managed to be in the loft when the power went out. Piss your pants funny. Especially when followed by a thud and Mumma Woolie saying 'well, be careful then!'
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost
    feel like I can never come back to Cornwall. It can surely never be this good again.

Is your back better?

You are indeed getting Cornwall in the best possible weather. Enjoy

I took my older daughter to Stowe today, in perfect shimmering sunshine, expecting this stupendously famous garden to be crowded. It was blissfully deserted, tho the grass needs rain badly. We had a fabulous picnic

Beautiful.
    Thank you for remembering, my back is, miraculously, if not better, at at least 95%. I woke up this morning in some pain and quite pessimistic about my ability to 'do' the rest of the holiday. Massive amounts of deep heat and ibuprofen. Packed for the day, parked at Rock, ferry over to Padstow - still quite painful. Managed a but of crabbing with the older girls. Then went on a sea safari, and somehow in amongst two hours of spotting seals and dolphins the pain disappeared.
    Who knows why? Possibly just having a really nice time to take my mind off it. Back pain is after all the body trying to protect itself - quite conceivable you can trick yourself out of it.
    And it has been massively better since. Swimming with the girls, then up and down stairs cooking a barbecue - no problem at all.
    Anyway, fingers crossed it holds out until tomorrow - stand up paddleboarding with my oldest two tomorrow morning at Port Isaac. Was very pessimistic about managing yesterday, but feels eminently doable now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Paracetamol works best in anticipation of pain, so with something like a hip replacement take it 6-hourly rather than wait for the pain to start, then take it.

It works great in IV form and as suppositories too, though sticking medication up your bum is thought rather Continental by Brits.
    Lady Cholmondeley can do my meds round any time
  • Options

By party:

To be honest given the scale of the other pre-existing Trump related problems, like cheering the mob trying to murder his VP during a coup, and planning to rig the 2024 elections, I would have gone for not a very big problem.
    iirc the FBI is worried about Chinese spies stealing government secrets from Mar-a-Lago and have made arrests in the past. If they are right, then yes, Trump's stash is a serious problem.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,728
    And yet listening to some commentators the FBI search is good for Trump .

Riling up a bunch of trailer trash bible bashing gun toting Trump cultists isn’t the same as the overall public thinking the poor thing has been victimized !
  • Options

By party:

iirc the FBI is worried about Chinese spies stealing government secrets from Mar-a-Lago and have made arrests in the past. If they are right, then yes, Trump's stash is a serious problem.
    Stealing?
    I'd be more worried who he'd willingly hand it over to for a hotel concession, or cold, hard cash.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

I follow a few very patriotic americans on the twitters who think the above is madness, food and fuel security should come above ESG. It's hardly partisan or pro russian to say so.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    ping said:

By party:

12% republican?!

Jeez. America, its norms, institutions and democracy is in a very bad place.
    Although the encouraging thing there is that barely a quarter of Republicans say it's not a problem at all, so a clear majority concede it is a problem to some degree.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited August 2022
    For my fellow Trek geeks.

Federal prisons, their arms wide open.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,154

HYUFD said:

She's going to be a disaster.

I wobbled a bit the other night thinking many of us maybe have underestimated her, but, no, she's just Johnson in a skirt.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Cyclefree said:

I may have missed this but is it correct that Kemi Badenoch has endorsed neither Sunak nor Truss?

Yes. She's clever.
    It does fit in a bit with the idea that she was a Sunak plant though. Now covering her tracks by not endorsing him.
    I think Kemi is playing her own game.

If Starmer does win GE24/25 and she goes LOTO she could be the next PM but one.
  • Options
    TND for PM

That sign off was bloody masterly. Truss smug, wannabe funny Sorry I was mean about the media Tom. TND non joke response It's cheap, and you know it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2022

Nah it is more like six times seven is £47.25 after service is automatically added. Or six times is seven was £42 last year, after inflation it is £48 this year. And of course for triple locked pensioners it is £50.

Very good!
  • Options
    Leon said:

MY anecdote from about five years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with a raging pain, the likes of which it is hard to describe. The pain was so bad, at one point I was convulsively projectile vomiting down the landing of my flat- five metres - then I was collapsing on to the floor and sobbing for my mother (this is all true) and finally it got so bad I passed out for a couple of hours. No word of a lie

Before I passed out I managed to call 999 and groaned my address and told them I was in fierce pain, thought I was dying, maybe heart attack, please please please help. They said they were very concerned for me and would send an ambulance at once

The ambulance never came. At about 8am I woke up, still in pain, but somewhat better, and with enough energy to Uber to A&E

Kidney stone

Where was the ambulance? Why did it never even show up? I do not believe they triaged me from my one gasping phone call
    I think the way that one works, is that if you don't phone back asking where the ambulance is, then you're probably dead and don't need it anymore...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I wobbled a bit the other night thinking many of us maybe have underestimated her, but, no, she's just Johnson in a skirt.
    No, she'll be a lot better than Johnson. Compare her career as a Cabinet Minister to his as a Cabinet Minister. Solid stuff. She'll do fine.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

I took my older daughter to Stowe today, in perfect shimmering sunshine, expecting this stupendously famous garden to be crowded. It was blissfully deserted, tho the grass needs rain badly. We had a fabulous picnic

Beautiful.
    Thank you for remembering, my back is, miraculously, if not better, at at least 95%. I woke up this morning in some pain and quite pessimistic about my ability to 'do' the rest of the holiday. Massive amounts of deep heat and ibuprofen. Packed for the day, parked at Rock, ferry over to Padstow - still quite painful. Managed a but of crabbing with the older girls. Then went on a sea safari, and somehow in amongst two hours of spotting seals and dolphins the pain disappeared.
    Who knows why? Possibly just having a really nice time to take my mind off it. Back pain is after all the body trying to protect itself - quite conceivable you can trick yourself out of it.
    And it has been massively better since. Swimming with the girls, then up and down stairs cooking a barbecue - no problem at all.
    Anyway, fingers crossed it holds out until tomorrow - stand up paddleboarding with my oldest two tomorrow morning at Port Isaac. Was very pessimistic about managing yesterday, but feels eminently doable now.
    That’s great. I know from friends that back pain can be horrible

They say alcohol helps. But then, when is that not true?

You really have lucked out with the weather. Cornwall loves you as much as you love Cornwall, it seems
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Newton Dunn is a star.

Truss as bad as my worst fears. Johnsons downfall was bookended by Paterson and Pincher. Saying she would vote down the privileges committee inquiry into Johnson shows how little she understands or minds that

Sunak gets to spend the next two years saying 'i told you so'.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sunak verging on Sheffield in that intro and his jokes are getting even lamer

At least he has written some new material over the weekend. The parmo schtick will go down well in the North-East but will mystify the rest of the country.
    Do we think he would recognise a parmo in an identity parade?

That "our women" grated like fuck last time. Really poor.
    They are in Darlington. Do they eat parmo in Darlo?
    Haggis I think..

Not to mention clootie dumpling.
    As a Scot of working class roots I prefer my clootie dumpling fried. But since I have grown into an effete middle class intellectual (pseudo) I fry it in olive oil, not lard.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703

Sunak was absolutely awful. It was like he was a kids party entertainer speaking to an audience of five year olds. I'd have felt patronised in that audience. The false mateyness, the 'our women'!

Once he stopped hosing money at the plague fearful he became nothing. He is David Miliband waving a banana but moreso
    I feel like the audience are clapping in his 'climax' bits …
    Sounds like I missed something tonight.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Newton Dunn is a star.

There isn't another vote on the committee is there? its work has begun and it will complete.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I may have missed this but is it correct that Kemi Badenoch has endorsed neither Sunak nor Truss?

Yes. She's clever.
    It does fit in a bit with the idea that she was a Sunak plant though. Now covering her tracks by not endorsing him.

She could be. Though it's been a long while since we had a party in office for one parliament only.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

Although the encouraging thing there is that barely a quarter of Republicans say it's not a problem at all, so a clear majority concede it is a problem to some degree.

One argument I've heard is "no other former President suffered this kind of investigation - why should Trump?". Quite apart from the fact no one is above the law whether POTUS or former POTUS, Trump is the first former POTUS for some while who is seriously contemplating a second run (back to Grover Cleveland as has been said) and there is a political angle to that.

The fundamental is the events of January 6th 2021 were psychologically traumatic for a country which purports to be a democracy and must therefore agree on the peaceful transition of power following contested elections. I know many GOP activists continue with this idiocy 2020 was "fraudulent" but once again where's the beef, as someone once said? Nothing has been produced which has stood up in court thus far and as the conspiracy theories become ever more fantastic so does the lack of credibility for those espousing them.

Trump, as Johnson, will always have vocal and diehard defenders who will bombard social media, forums like this and friendly tv channels protesting their man's innocence and citing conspiracy or whatever. They have that right to protest and to argue - that's the free speech which some assert the so-called populists are trying to undermine and remove.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Selebian said:

By the look of the traffic on the Kerch bridge a lot of Russians seem to think Crimea will be Ukranian again soon.

No more beach 2022 bikini pics. #Russians are hastily leaving #Crimea via the Crimean bridge. “There’s a huge traffic jam here,” says the author of the video. #UkraineRussianWar https://t.co/Xs5RpMc0g3
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

At least he has written some new material over the weekend. The parmo schtick will go down well in the North-East but will mystify the rest of the country.

Haggis I think..

As a Scot of working class roots I prefer my clootie dumpling fried. But since I have grown into an effete middle class intellectual (pseudo) I fry it in olive oil, not lard.
    Lard is a better frying medium than olive oil imo. As a saturated fat it is more heat stable.
  • Options
    @Foxy

Paracetamol suppositories are a common method of administration in Sweden.

https://www.apohem.se/vark-feber/huvudvark/alvedon-suppositorium-250-mg-15-40kg-10-st
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes. She's clever.

She could be. Though it's been a long while since we had a party in office for one parliament only.
    Indeed, when was the last time someone taking over as LOTO after year party lost a GE went on to be PM? Heath 1964?
  • Options

@Foxy

https://www.apohem.se/vark-feber/huvudvark/alvedon-suppositorium-250-mg-15-40kg-10-st

Yes, absorption from suppositories is very quick and complete. We used to use them for post op analgesia for surgery on kids. Brits don't seem keen though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

Beautiful.

You really have lucked out with the weather. Cornwall loves you as much as you love Cornwall, it seems
    Am I the only person who hates the phrase ‘lucked out’? Always sounds like it should mean the opposite (your luck is out, out of luck).
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Foxy said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

By the look of the traffic on the Kerch bridge a lot of Russians seem to think Crimea will be Ukranian again soon.

No more beach 2022 bikini pics. #Russians are hastily leaving #Crimea via the Crimean bridge. “There’s a huge traffic jam here,” says the author of the video. #UkraineRussianWar https://t.co/Xs5RpMc0g3
    They might just be thinking that their hols are likely to be disrupted by some very disagreeable events.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    edited August 2022
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes. She's clever.

Indeed, when was the last time someone taking over as LOTO after year party lost a GE went on to be PM? Heath 1964?
    Thatcher fits the criteria
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

No, she'll be a lot better than Johnson. Compare her career as a Cabinet Minister to his as a Cabinet Minister. Solid stuff. She'll do fine.
    Someone who thinks a PM should not face the Privileges Committee over allegations that he misled the House is not going to be fine. The rules apply to all - or should. That she does not get this shows she is fundamentally no better than Boris and is, like him, unworthy to be PM no matter how many quasi-Thatcher costumes she wears.
    Indeed, that is how Johnson started his downfall over the Paterson affair.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,055

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

But not "timesed by", which is what I've heard kids say. It's the ugly verbing of "times" that is the issue
    What's wrong with using times as a verb? It's not just the kids, I've always said it and I am in my forties, but perhaps I'm a bit common.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

By party:

'I share the deep concern of millions of Americans over the unprecedented search of the personal residence of President Trump. No former President of the United States has ever been subject to a raid of their personal residence in American history. After years where FBI agents were found to be acting on political motivation during our administration, the appearance of continued partisanship by the Justice Department must be addressed.'

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1557031914829135872?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1557031916322390017?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw

Clear though most Democrats and Independents see this could be a problem for Trump, even if most Republicans don't
    For goodness sake HY, the Federal authorities have every right to demand their sensitive property back from a civilian with financial debit links and alleged kompromat material held on him by an aggressive hostile power.

I never took you for a Putin action dove.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,055

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

Beautiful.

Am I the only person who hates the phrase ‘lucked out’? Always sounds like it should mean the opposite (your luck is out, out of luck).
    Yes.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    Foxy said:

@Foxy

Yes, absorption from suppositories is very quick and complete. We used to use them for post op analgesia for surgery on kids. Brits don't seem keen though.
    I used to share a flat with a guy who would put acid tabs (as in LSD) in his eyes as he said they absorbed more quickly into the brain. I was never terribly convinced it was a wise idea.
  • Options

Foxy said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

They might just be thinking that their hols are likely to be disrupted by some very disagreeable events.
    Clearly they lack the sang-froid and dedication to their holidays demonstrated by Dominic Raab.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@Foxy

If anal administration is superior to oral then perhaps some effort might be put into health education?
  • Options

Foxy said:

@Foxy

If anal administration is superior to oral then perhaps some effort might be put into health education?
    Swallowing them is pretty effective, and easier for most.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

By party:

For goodness sake HY, the Federal authorities have every right to demand their sensitive property back from a civilian with financial debit links and alleged kompromat material held on him by an aggressive hostile power.

They were Mike Pence's words not mine
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

Beautiful.

Yes. It confuses me every time. I’m pretty sure nobody said it until about 2003, at which point everyone started saying it.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    FPT I am not sold on the idea the Democrats will take the Senate. 6/4 on it its probably worth a bet but favourite status? Not so sure

Meanwhile the apparent transporting of classified material out of the White House by Trump could well end up as a nothing or a minor slap on the wrist in practice. Way more severe stuff with Trump is out of view and being looked into and it will stop any 2024 run dead if it ever gets to prosecution. As it is plenty of GOP including some Trumpites from 2016 and 2020 are looking to consign him to history. They don't want him to run again, they want the populist stuff but not the man because theres just much of a smell. Despite the protestations over the FBI visit today, many in his own party are content to see him reduced over the next year.

In Ukraine the sudden ability of the Ukrainians to strike best part of 200kms from their front line and into Crimea has surprised many. Its unclear what was used, the assumption being the Americans have donated the long range missile to launch from the now infamous HIMARS. One shouldnt forget, however, that Ukraine has its own ballistic missile industry. Despite the damage at depth this now strategically important artillery is doing, let no one be of any doubt, Ukraine is still not winnng. Yet.

• Options

Foxy said:

@Foxy

Perhaps that would also be absorbed better if given as a suppository.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

Beautiful.

It's American.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

Beautiful.

It has been used regularly both ways around, even if it now generally means good luck.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3484#:~:text=According to Harper 1985, luck,player who lost hist chips.

I suppose it is always extreme luck, not average, and the scenario will generally make it clear which direction.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880
    Foxy said:

@Foxy

I have a friend whose hangover cure is to knock back several paracetamol at the end of a night out. I'm not convinced that's a good thing for his liver.

Tbh, I'm not convinced they are paracetamol he is taking...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Except without Johnson's charisma and with more hardline rightwing economics
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By party:

They were Mike Pence's words not mine
    I had assumed you were in agreement. Glad to learn you agree that even a former President isn't above the law
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

I have a friend whose hangover cure is to knock back several paracetamol at the end of a night out. I'm not convinced that's a good thing for his liver.

Tbh, I'm not convinced they are paracetamol he is taking...
    Not sure about paracetamol (seems unwise), but never take aspirin on top of alcohol. We watched a very sad documentary about a guy who lost his fiancé to that.
  • Options
    Thought I heard Blair speaking on the radio just now. Turns out it was Sunak with a touch of estuary. After coaching I assume.
  • Options
    Yay!!!

Unsolicited long acting oxycodone as a nightcap. I have scored!!!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Thought I heard Blair speaking on the radio just now. Turns out it was Sunak with a touch of estuary. After coaching I assume.

Yes, I hear that in his voice.
  • Options

More than 10 years ago now my daughter was studying in London and ended up in casualty. We went down as concerned parents do. It was honestly like something out of the third world. I have never seen any hospital like it before or since. It struck me as a positively dangerous place to be when you were well. To be there when you were ill bordered on reckless.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

Beautiful.

It has been used regularly both ways around, even if it now generally means good luck.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3484#:~:text=According to Harper 1985, luck,player who lost hist chips.

I suppose it is always extreme luck, not average, and the scenario will generally make it clear which direction.
    I just think of poker - when one has an out, and it comes up on the turn or the river, one has lucked out.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Yes, I hear that in his voice.
    We'll be listening for the glottal stops.

• Options

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

Lard is a better frying medium than olive oil imo. As a saturated fat it is more heat stable.
    It's about flashpoints and smokepoints, chart to knock yourself out with

https://www.centrafoods.com/blog/edible-oil-smoke-flash-points-temperature-chart

Sunflower oil for instance is polyunsaturated but high smoke point
  • Options

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I think that the last thing fried dumpling requires is more saturated fat.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

What's wrong with using times as a verb? It's not just the kids, I've always said it and I am in my forties, but perhaps I'm a bit common.
    Well the dictionary lists it primarily as a preposition, and only as an informal verb

I don't think I've ever heard a mathematician say "timesed by"
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    Leon said:

Kidney stone

One of my closest friends had to take her husband to hospital after he had a stroke and there was no ambulance available within X hours. She took him herself in to A&E and went to find a doctor/nurse/anyone. In the meantime he had some sort of heart attack and when she came back found him lying on the floor *with insects crawling over him*. He had some sort of pleurisy and an hour or so later finally saw a doctor. He's now moved the US and pays for private care.

My mother was taken in to hospital with 'woman pains' (as her GP called it). Told she was going to have a hysterectomy. She made plans, off work for X months, life-changing operation etc. Then a different doctor came in and she asked him some details - he picked up her chart and replied 'Oh, no - that's not you. That's the next bed.' and walked out. No more support, no nurses, just get dressed and on your way.

I could go on.

Much though I love the idea of the NHS - it's sadly grim for a lot of people on the ground.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

More than 10 years ago now my daughter was studying in London and ended up in casualty. We went down as concerned parents do. It was honestly like something out of the third world. I have never seen any hospital like it before or since. It struck me as a positively dangerous place to be when you were well. To be there when you were ill bordered on reckless.
    Yes. “Third world” would be an apt description for my experience too. I feel quite ill even thinking about it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,352

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

I’m older still and have quite happily used it since childhood.
    What the eff does this have to do with running the country anyway ?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    Reality check: Mike Pence is quite happy to see Trump swing in the wind. He might well be happy to see him swing from a noose.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Well the dictionary lists it primarily as a preposition, and only as an informal verb

I don't think I've ever heard a mathematician say "timesed by"
    The mark of a pukka statistician is using a plural verb with 'data'.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Except without Johnson's charisma and with more hardline rightwing economics
    And an even worse Cabinet by sounds of things.

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

I used to share a flat with a guy who would put acid tabs (as in LSD) in his eyes as he said they absorbed more quickly into the brain. I was never terribly convinced it was a wise idea.
    A Well Known Rock Star used to boast that he protected his nostrils by taking cocaine per anum (boofing in the trade). Good plan till you think about it....
This discussion has been closed.