Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This is developing into a big problem for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2022 in General
This is developing into a big problem for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Last year Lord Frost admitted the EU offered British people a “permanent visa waiver” arrangement but UKGov declined it.Don't blame the EU.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited July 2022
    First in - and I do not even have a visa.... :open_mouth:
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Expand
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,921

Leon said:

This certainly doesn't look good

🇷🇸The Kosovo army plans to attack the northern part of Serbia at midnight - Vučić.

“I think that we have never been in a more difficult situation than today. Why did I say this? The Pristina regime is trying, presenting itself as a victim, to use the moods in the world,”

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1553797090400247809?s=20&t=7rkIwDqJfo7amIaU8g6waA

A casus belli for Serbia to hit back

I have zero idea who is in the right at the moment. Either side could be hitting the other side to start this. But given the various relations, my WAG would be on Serbia trying something on Russia's behalf, to keep Europe occupied.

Or it might be Kosovo trying something because Serbia's friend Russia is otherwise occupied.

Does anyone have a primer for relations between Kosovo and Serbia over the last couple of decades after the Kosovo War? what are the states of the two militaries?
    Read that Kosovo is requiring Serbian visitors to carry mandatory ID from tomorrow. Not sure if it's true.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    According to the Jerusalem Post:
    "Additionally on Sunday, Serbian politician Vladimir Đukanović wrote on Twitter that "Everything seems to me that Serbia will be forced to begin the denazification of the Balkans. I'd like to be wrong.""

So Serbia's in the wrong. Thanks for that, Mr. Đukanović.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-713567
    IshmaelZ said:

Expand

The queues at Dover might have been smaller or maybe even not there with a waiver scheme.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Presumably we were being asked to respond in kind, ie freedom of movement. How could we agree to that?
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    FPT

This, from a Kosovan journalist, appears to be the cause of the impending Balkan conflict.

J https://twitter.com/jehonahulaj/status/1553662342860345344?s=21&t=MAu52WMgs7STblU_-XGioA
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880

IshmaelZ said:

Expand

The queues at Dover might have been smaller or maybe even not there with a waiver scheme.
    Just like those massive queues this weekend...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    As with pet passports, had the UK been willing to sign up to an EU scheme, pet owners wouldn’t be facing the cost and hassle of the AHC process. But our pig-headed government simply won’t sign up to anything where the EU sets the rules.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    File under

"that could be more reassuring"

Francesco Comito
    @FrancescComito
    · 3m
    ❗️Statement by the Ministry of Defense of Serbia - "Due to the large amount of misinformation about the clash between the so-called "Kosovo police" and the Army of Serbia, we declare that the Army of Serbia has yet not crossed the administrative line at the moment."
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    FPT.

Vucic is a dangerous twat.
    He wants to seize Kosovo back, and makes no secret of it. Great danger here.
    Multiple neighbours could be dragged in easily and quickly.
    Albania. Bosnia. Montenegro.
    It's bloody @Leon in the vicinity recently once again!
    The man is a menace.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Betfair next prime minister
    1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10.5 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I think Ooberdorf has the wrong shirt ought to be wearing "Kuntz"
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Citation required. A tweet from someone with 265 followers?

IshmaelZ said:

Expand

Just like those massive queues this weekend...
    TBF, this weekend's 2 hour wait is a big improvement on last weekend's 6 hour wait...
    Prince William standing up to applaud the Lionesses.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

It's a bit misleading:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1394684974637400067

Lord Frost reveals that the EU offered a visa waiver system for culture workers such as musicians and actors but that would have meant UK ceding control of borders and not ending Free Movement
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    Leon said:

File under

Francesco Comito
    @FrancescComito
    · 3m
    ❗️Statement by the Ministry of Defense of Serbia - "Due to the large amount of misinformation about the clash between the so-called "Kosovo police" and the Army of Serbia, we declare that the Army of Serbia has yet not crossed the administrative line at the moment."

Can't help thinking a lot of this stuff is happening because Joe Biden is perceived as weak.
    One thing to say about European, or even foreign, travel.

I took the little 'un swimming today, and I chatted to a couple of other parents. For obvious reasons, the summer holidays came under discussion. For one couple, the idea of a foreign holiday - even France - was impossible. For the other, they 'felt' going on holiday in the UK was cheaper and less hassle.

Perhaps EU free movement is only an issue for the middle and upper classes, or those in the southeast? I know many tens of millions of overseas trips are made by Brits every year, but that will include multiple trips by the same people. What proportion of people travel abroad each year, and what proportion only to the EU?
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

File under

Francesco Comito
    @FrancescComito
    · 3m

Can't help thinking a lot of this stuff is happening because Joe Biden is perceived as weak.
    I can't see that after his reaction to Ukraine. America was slow to react (see Churchill's quote), but they have *really* stepped up to the plate.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    IanB2 said:

As with pet passports, had the UK been willing to sign up to an EU scheme, pet owners wouldn’t be facing the cost and hassle of the AHC process. But our pig-headed government simply won’t sign up to anything where the EU sets the rules.

British rules for British dogs!
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996

FPT

Brexit is almost a direct result of the Blair/Brown Government failing to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

Remember: Blair had twice promised a referendum on the EU Constitution. In early October 2007, the European Scrutiny Committee (which had a Labour majority at the time) had found that the treaty was "substantially equivalent" to the rejected constitution - and yet still they ignored the vote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7034052.stm

There was a substantial public majority in favour of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. Just as there was for a referendum on the EU Constitution before it. The Liberal Democrats decided to play that by going for a full in/out referendum on the EU (sound familiar?) whilst Labour basically ignored it, and pretended it was both different and that it had got a smashing deal. David Cameron gave a "cast-iron" promise to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty but it was wholly ratified into EU law by December 2009, well before he took office, so he couldn't offer one when he took power in May 2010 - all he was able to do was to "not let matters rest there."

That's why the mood on the Tory backbenches was so febrile from almost the moment Cameron took office - we'd been done over and they were furious about it. There was a massive loss of trust between the UK and the EU. And the only way out was for the EU to substantially renegotiate with the UK on the basis that the Lisbon Treaty had not yet come into effect here, antebellum c.2007-2008, which they wholeheartedly refused to do.

Labour and the EU are far more responsible for Brexit than they'd care to admit, or ever will admit.

Or people could have costlessly voted no, started a few years of negotiation, probably not get what they wanted (get rid of foreigners from the UK; send the Poles somewhere like Rwanda), and voted no again on an in-out referendum.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Lol, 'one foul swoop'
    Fine footbaw Colemanballs commentating!
    Goal!!
    edited July 2022
    England get a soft soccer goal. Piss poor defending after the ‘air shot’.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Lionesses regain the lead in ET
    Amazing. 2-1 to England.
    England!!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Paging @Leon :lol:
    Finally a top off!
    My 81 year old Mother is at this final.
    I hope she's taking it easy.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    My biggest criticism of women's football was it was passionless, I mean when did you see a female footballer take off her shirt when she scored a goal, but I see that criticism is no longer valid.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

It's a bit misleading:

Lord Frost reveals that the EU offered a visa waiver system for culture workers such as musicians and actors but that would have meant UK ceding control of borders and not ending Free Movement
    So absolutely nothing to do with the queues at Dover……
    She looks OK :)
    edited July 2022

It's a bit misleading:

Unless they were all musicians?
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

FPT

Brexit is almost a direct result of the Blair/Brown Government failing to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

Remember: Blair had twice promised a referendum on the EU Constitution. In early October 2007, the European Scrutiny Committee (which had a Labour majority at the time) had found that the treaty was "substantially equivalent" to the rejected constitution - and yet still they ignored the vote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7034052.stm

There was a substantial public majority in favour of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. Just as there was for a referendum on the EU Constitution before it. The Liberal Democrats decided to play that by going for a full in/out referendum on the EU (sound familiar?) whilst Labour basically ignored it, and pretended it was both different and that it had got a smashing deal. David Cameron gave a "cast-iron" promise to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty but it was wholly ratified into EU law by December 2009, well before he took office, so he couldn't offer one when he took power in May 2010 - all he was able to do was to "not let matters rest there."

That's why the mood on the Tory backbenches was so febrile from almost the moment Cameron took office - we'd been done over and they were furious about it. There was a massive loss of trust between the UK and the EU. And the only way out was for the EU to substantially renegotiate with the UK on the basis that the Lisbon Treaty had not yet come into effect here, antebellum c.2007-2008, which they wholeheartedly refused to do.

Labour and the EU are far more responsible for Brexit than they'd care to admit, or ever will admit.

Agreed that a fair amount of blame lies with Blair and Brown. Labour should have promised in the 1997 manifesto that they would take Britain into the euro and that in the event that they decided not to adopt the currency at the time it came into existence they would make an announcement by such and such a year (maybe 2000), to include the exact date when the country would join.

If that had caused them only to win a majority of 139 rather than 179, so what?
    EPG said:

FPT

Or people could have costlessly voted no, started a few years of negotiation, probably not get what they wanted (get rid of foreigners from the UK; send the Poles somewhere like Rwanda), and voted no again on an in-out referendum.
    I was ill in hospital (or at home recovering) when Cameron's renegotiation was released. By the time I was composed enough to read it, I had read lots of stuff saying it was awful. When I read it, I actually thought it was quite good. Maybe this was down to my brain issues, or to my contrary nature, or the antis being a bit over-strident. Or perhaps it was quite good. ;)

(This is all from memory; it would be interesting to go back to threads back then to see when, and what, I was posting._
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184

My biggest criticism of women's football was it was passionless, I mean when did you see a female footballer take off her shirt when she scored a goal, but I see that criticism is no longer valid.

My biggest criticism of women's football is that some of them feel the need to wear make up. It's just odd. Going out to play a game of football, need to look pretty...
    Some of the men's team are little better, however. Once upon a time vanity was sort of looked down on.
  • Labour under Starmer's strategy has turned a 26 point deficit into a 10 point lead.

Why can't people just trust that he might know what he's doing?
    They think it's all over...
    Anyway. Quite a pleasing contrast between the utter artistry of the first England goal and the desperate scramble of the second. Worthy of Gary Lineker, that one.
    edited July 2022
    The commentators are talking as though women’s football is a new thing in this country.

Arsenal were champions of Europe in 2007.
    Cookie said:

My biggest criticism of women's football is that some of them feel the need to wear make up. It's just odd. Going out to play a game of football, need to look pretty...
    Some of the men's team are little better, however. Once upon a time vanity was sort of looked down on.
    My biggest criticism of women's football is that it is football, and therefore intrinsically boring. ;)
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336

It's a bit misleading:

What's that got to do with the price of Fishi, or Cheese?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

It's a bit misleading:

Unless they were all musicians?
    They are all drummers in British heavy metal bands from the 80s.

This is why the whole thing is best ignored.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

The Lionesses earn on average less than £50,000 a year, their male counterparts over £5 million a year on average.

I don't think anyone will begrudge them some makeup, especially if they win a tournament unlike the men
  • Will they earn more if they win?
    One of the many things I have admired about this tournament is the emphasis on skill, the fact sheet physical strength has not been as dominant and a certain lack of cyncicism. The way the Lionesses are finishing this doesn't quite fit with that.

Labour under Starmer's strategy has turned a 26 point deficit into a 10 point lead.

He has been 'lucky' in the fact that Johnson and his government made a series of unforced mistakes. Had it not been for those, Starmer might be in a much worse position.

But Starmer positioned the party to take advantage, and managed to kick the ball into the open goal most of the time. At least he didn't take his shirt off afterwards... ;)
    England win. Most exciting.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

I took the little 'un swimming today, and I chatted to a couple of other parents. For obvious reasons, the summer holidays came under discussion. For one couple, the idea of a foreign holiday - even France - was impossible. For the other, they 'felt' going on holiday in the UK was cheaper and less hassle.

Perhaps EU free movement is only an issue for the middle and upper classes, or those in the southeast? I know many tens of millions of overseas trips are made by Brits every year, but that will include multiple trips by the same people. What proportion of people travel abroad each year, and what proportion only to the EU?

Over 40 million passengers cross the channel on a ferry or Eurotunnel/Eurostar each year from the UK. I find that amazing, even if a lot are making multiple crossings.
    Congrats to the brave Lionesses!
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    edited July 2022

Will they earn more if they win?

I imagine through additional sponsorship they will if nothing else.

FPT

Don't also forget Ed Davey leading a walkout of the Lib Dems in order to stop them having to fulfil a manifesto pledge and vote for a referendum on Lisbon on the highly spurious grounds that there wasn't an in-out referendum on EU membership on offer.
    Twats.
    Ok I was lying. I was a bit more invested than I said

I just couldn’t bear to lose to Germany again in a final

GO THE LIONESSES AND ALSO YOU ARE TOTALLY HOT
    edited July 2022
    When's the next women's football world cup?

Labour under Starmer's strategy has turned a 26 point deficit into a 10 point lead.

I think he is suffering from the sheer incompetence of the government in the last 18 months(at least). Merely by competence and avoiding mistakes (although not totally - very over cautious re covid) he is seen as safe, but not yet a winner.
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

The Lionesses earn on average less than £50,000 a year, their male counterparts over £5 million a year on average.

I don't think anyone will begrudge them some makeup, especially if they win a tournament unlike the men
    We begrudge the men wearing makeup?
    IshmaelZ said:

It is now
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    DavidL said:

One of the many things I have admired about this tournament is the emphasis on skill, the fact sheet physical strength has not been as dominant and a certain lack of cyncicism. The way the Lionesses are finishing this doesn't quite fit with that.

Great game management by the corner flag, let the defence catch their breath while winding up the Germans.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is now
    Some women are on the pitch....
    DavidL said:

There seem to be more headers.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Brandi Chastain.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Wot? We've actually, err, won?
    kjh said:

Over 40 million passengers cross the channel on a ferry or Eurotunnel/Eurostar each year from the UK. I find that amazing, even if a lot are making multiple crossings.
    Indeed, but some do it *alot*. An ex-colleague of mine used lived in northern France, and came to Cambridge for three days each week. Madness to me, but he claimed he worked an f'load on the trains. And that the most expensive part of it was the parking and the flat near Cambridge he kept.

I also knew a lady who flew from Edinburgh to London twice a week. She hated 'Sleazyjet', but still preferred it to the train...
    Does anyone know what the Betfair Exchange odds were at the start of the match? I forgot to check.
  • Labour under Starmer's strategy has turned a 26 point deficit into a 10 point lead.

I think he is suffering from the sheer incompetence of the government in the last 18 months(at least). Merely by competence and avoiding mistakes (although not totally - very over cautious re covid) he is seen as safe, but not yet a winner.
    If it had been RLB in charge, do you honestly think Labour would be ahead now?
    Well done to the Lionesses.

I was watching the F1. A real sport. ;)
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153
    👍👍👍
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Really touching scenes at Wembley.
    Andy_JS said:

When's the next women's football world cup?

Next year in Oz and NZ.
    England top of qualification group with 8 wins out of 8.
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone know what the Betfair Exchange odds were at the start of the match? I forgot to check.

1.9-ish from memory earlier in the day.
    Beth Mead touching evens in SPOTY betting. Reckon she’s a lay.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Amazing. Hope this really turbo charges womens football

Probably tbh. I’m not sure if she would be as centrist as Starmer, but right now the Tories, and Johnson in particular are toxic.
  • Surely they'll earn a packet now if they go into say punditry
    Leon said:

I'm pleased that they won. And it was a highly entertaining game, albeit the Germans were a bit dirty, and they deserved to win. And I'm happy for them. But I still can't really feel that invested.
    That's just me though. Wife is in tears, saying she never thought she'd see England win a tournament. Daughters are all delighted. So if I don't feel it, that just me - clearly plenty of people do.

The player who just ran off with the microphone just gave the best response ever to a dull interview question.
    The Germans are crying

Oh dear
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

England suddenly shortened in the 5 mins before KO (On news of the injury to the German captain);

2.4 to win in 90 mins.

1.75 to win outright.

Probably tbh. I’m not sure if she would be as centrist as Starmer, but right now the Tories, and Johnson in particular are toxic.
    I don't, I think they'd be behind.

It is because Starmer is boring that people are voting Labour again, I think boring is an asset after Corbyn - I accept I am rare
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Andy_JS said:

1.9-ish from memory earlier in the day.
    It was a draw in normal time, so 1.9 would have been a losing bet on the match, but not the trophy.
    When you look at both the football and the cricket you have to wonder how long we are going to let our men embarrass us and show us up. Let the women get on with it and do us proud.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

I'm pleased that they won. And it was a highly entertaining game, albeit the Germans were a bit dirty, and they deserved to win. And I'm happy for them. But I still can't really feel that invested.
    That's just me though. Wife is in tears, saying she never thought she'd see England win a tournament. Daughters are all delighted. So if I don't feel it, that just me - clearly plenty of people do.

The player who just ran off with the microphone just gave the best response ever to a dull interview question.
    Also, while not really invested, still more invested than I was 12 months ago in the men's tournament.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

File under

Francesco Comito
    @FrancescComito
    · 3m

My sympathies.
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

We begrudge the men wearing makeup?
    Sorry @hyufd I really had to try hard to misread your post to get that pun in.

It is because Starmer is boring that people are voting Labour again, I think boring is an asset after Corbyn - I accept I am rare
    I don’t disagree about boring being needed, but I think you may be underestimating just how toxic Johnson has been.
    This coach sounds far brighter than Gareth Southgate.

I don’t disagree about boring being needed, but I think you may be underestimating just how toxic Johnson has been.
    I think he has damaged the Tories severely. But I do not think it was inevitable Labour would do this relatively well after 2019.
    DavidL said:

When you look at both the football and the cricket you have to wonder how long we are going to let our men embarrass us and show us up. Let the women get on with it and do us proud.

We are still reigning 50 over world champions and have just won our last four test matches, chasing previously unheard of totals in every game to do so.
    A tad harsh on the chaos, I think.
    Bit rough on Germany. They didn't make that many mistakes during the match.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Indeed - “I have better things to do than answer the blandest question on the menu. Like, go sing with the crowd.”
    Andy_JS said:

Bit rough on Germany. They didn't make that many mistakes during the match.

They were the dirtiest team I've seen England play though. (Though not as dirty as the Portuguese, obvs.) So not too much sympathy.

I think he has damaged the Tories severely. But I do not think it was inevitable Labour would do this relatively well after 2019.
    But that’s two different points. It’s entirely possible that a Tory government didn’t mess up in the spectacular style that Johnson did. So no, a recovery like this was not inevitable.
    But remember the sporting adage, you are never as bad as your worst defeat, nor as good as your best win.
    Prince William eyeing up the trophy.

The Empire State Building became the tallest building in New York in 2001, so it must have been doing something right
This discussion has been closed.