Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the public view the final three – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,826
edited July 2022 in General
imageHow the public view the final three – politicalbetting.com

At the moment most of the polling focus on the Conservative leadership contest has been about views of first MPs and then the Tory Party membership. The latter of course will decide between the two agreed by the parliamentary party and we should get that tomorrow afternoon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,207
    First like, er, Truss.

F*ck!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,414
    Members about to elect the one most unpopular with voters.

Oh well, at least it helps confirm that Johnson is wrong and we do not live in some quasi-presidential direct democracy with mandates from the people.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,930
    Conservative is well and truly Trussed up.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,927
    And yet Liz Truss will be the next PM.

Go figure.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402

Go figure.

Could we actually see the Tories at the sort of figure Angus Reid gave to Labour?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630

Members about to elect the one most unpopular with voters.

Oh well, at least it helps confirm that Johnson is wrong and we do not live in some quasi-presidential direct democracy with mandates from the people.

Perhaps I am being unkind, but Tory MPs, and members, to varying degrees appear to want a Boris type, without the downsides of Boris. Not realising its a package deal. They want competent Borisism.

Truss, for whatever reason, seems to have become the continuity Boris candidate (despite disavowing the economic measures of the Boris government, by pretending the Chancellor could have done it without the PM's consent or something).

So on that basis she would appear to be what they want, perhaps presuming she would have the same popularity as Boris, despite not, in style or delivery, being similar to him at all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Truss has Hague/IDS levels of appeal with voters it seems. Tory members taking a bit risk if they make her Tory Leader and PM
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,638
    MPs need to caucus to make sure Truss is not in the final two

I like some of her policies, I admire her free thinking, but my God she would crash to a dreadful defeat, she would lose the Red Wall and her Zeal-of-the-Converted Brexiteering would lose the Blue Wall

She could gift Labour a majority that would last for two terms. No
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,558
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

One of the pieces of advice I most took to heart at university was don't worry too much about looking or sounding stupid. It's going to happen at some point regardless, so don't let it stop you from raising something, or lock you into position.

Not that I follow the advice perfectly, but then I am a worrier by nature.

The first and best lesson I learned at university was how to climb down from an argument.
    I met a highly competitive and argumentative Geordie - he was fond of an argument, but if you pointed out errors in his argument, he'd just say "Ah, you're not wrong there." And that was that! I was tremendously impressed. Up until that point everyone I had ever met would continue to defend an increasingly obviously wrong point indefinitely, looking dafter and dafter, rather than admit they were wrong. I'm fairly sure I did the same. I don't think it occurred to me not to. The shame of admitting you were wrong was perceived as greater than the shame and inconvenience of defending an increasingly indefensible point.
    One of my daughters learned this lesson by the age of 6. I'm not sure the other two have yet.
    The hardest thing of all is to admit defeat in an argument to someone you really dislike, or to someone you perceive as an ideological enemy, political opponent, and so on

That takes true maturity and grace

On PB when I find myself acting like BartholomewRoberts and HYUFD - defending an argument I know, deep down, is wrong - it is usually against someone I am allergic to, for whatever reason

And by the way I believe BartholomewRoberts and HYUFD are valed members of Team PB - but they do share this dogged attitude to the losing of arguments
    Just the other day I put my hands up and admitted I was wrong, on a "woke" issue I could have dug in on, I instead said fair enough I was wrong and move on. I've often admitted I'm wrong, if I believe I am.

The problem here is I don't believe I am today. I'm not digging in despite knowing I'm wrong, I'm digging in because I know I'm right.

Today's weather in the UK was for almost all of England in the mid to high 30s not the mid to high 40s. It was glorious weather. It very briefly peaked above 40, but that was it, a very brief foray into the 40s and back down into the 30s.

People flock to the Aussie sunshine for such weather every Aussie summer/British winter. And in today's weather people would flock to the beaches, or pools, or barbecues - not bitch and moan and cry like a baby.

I'm sorry if you don't like today's weather, but I love it and wish we had it more often. Hopefully with climate change we will have weather like today in the mid to high 30s more often in the summer. 👍

Oh PS and the weather overnight is cooling too which makes the weather more pleasant too. Its presently 23C and falling where I am, most other people have said similar. What's really unpleasant is when overnight temperatures remain in the 30s because then there's no respite from the heat, but we aren't having that.
    But you said Don't go to Death Valley, like it was a barbie n chilling place. It is not.

And Australian heatwaves are devastating, people die in them. How hard is that to understand, and why do your happy childhood memories make it not true?
    The Death Valley remark was a joke. 🤦‍♂️

People die in heatwaves, people die in the cold. More people die due to cold than heat, does that mean people can't enjoy building a snowman when it does snow?

Why are you so allergic to things that can make people die? People can die due to viruses, heat, cold, boredom, and a plethora of other things its all part of the circle of life. Everyone dies, but enjoy yourself along the ride.

When I'm old and dying I hope I will not have dementia and will be able to look back and remember as a happy memory playing with my kids in a paddling pool in our garden in the glorious sunshine. Or building a snowman with them in the winter. I don't expect to look back and wish I had more days where its 18C, cloudy, grey skies and boring.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,770
    edited July 2022
    Nigel Farage on GB News: Tories heading for a catastrophic loss at the next GE with Truss as leader.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929
    I'm wondering how solid the assumption is that Truss is popular in the conservative party; and how much she has the potential to crash and burn as the leadership contest goes on (given her previous mishaps in the past few weeks). I don't think it is certain that she will win at all.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

One of the pieces of advice I most took to heart at university was don't worry too much about looking or sounding stupid. It's going to happen at some point regardless, so don't let it stop you from raising something, or lock you into position.

The first and best lesson I learned at university was how to climb down from an argument.
    I met a highly competitive and argumentative Geordie - he was fond of an argument, but if you pointed out errors in his argument, he'd just say "Ah, you're not wrong there." And that was that! I was tremendously impressed. Up until that point everyone I had ever met would continue to defend an increasingly obviously wrong point indefinitely, looking dafter and dafter, rather than admit they were wrong. I'm fairly sure I did the same. I don't think it occurred to me not to. The shame of admitting you were wrong was perceived as greater than the shame and inconvenience of defending an increasingly indefensible point.
    One of my daughters learned this lesson by the age of 6. I'm not sure the other two have yet.
    The hardest thing of all is to admit defeat in an argument to someone you really dislike, or to someone you perceive as an ideological enemy, political opponent, and so on

On PB when I find myself acting like BartholomewRoberts and HYUFD - defending an argument I know, deep down, is wrong - it is usually against someone I am allergic to, for whatever reason

And by the way I believe BartholomewRoberts and HYUFD are valed members of Team PB - but they do share this dogged attitude to the losing of arguments
    Just the other day I put my hands up and admitted I was wrong, on a "woke" issue I could have dug in on, I instead said fair enough I was wrong and move on. I've often admitted I'm wrong, if I believe I am.

The problem here is I don't believe I am today. I'm not digging in despite knowing I'm wrong, I'm digging in because I know I'm right.

Today's weather in the UK was for almost all of England in the mid to high 30s not the mid to high 40s. It was glorious weather. It very briefly peaked above 40, but that was it, a very brief foray into the 40s and back down into the 30s.

People flock to the Aussie sunshine for such weather every Aussie summer/British winter. And in today's weather people would flock to the beaches, or pools, or barbecues - not bitch and moan and cry like a baby.

I'm sorry if you don't like today's weather, but I love it and wish we had it more often. Hopefully with climate change we will have weather like today in the mid to high 30s more often in the summer. 👍

Oh PS and the weather overnight is cooling too which makes the weather more pleasant too. Its presently 23C and falling where I am, most other people have said similar. What's really unpleasant is when overnight temperatures remain in the 30s because then there's no respite from the heat, but we aren't having that.
    But you said Don't go to Death Valley, like it was a barbie n chilling place. It is not.

And Australian heatwaves are devastating, people die in them. How hard is that to understand, and why do your happy childhood memories make it not true?

People die in heatwaves, people die in the cold. More people die due to cold than heat, does that mean people can't enjoy building a snowman when it does snow?

Why are you so allergic to things t hat can make people die? People can die due to viruses, heat, cold, boredom, and a plethora of other things its all part of the circle of life. Everyone dies, but enjoy yourself along the ride.

When I'm old and dying I hope I will not have dementia and will be able to look back and remember as a happy memory playing with my kids in a paddling pool in our garden in the glorious sunshine. I don't expect to look back and wish I had more days where its 18, grey skies and boring.
    Personal question: where do you live? In the UK?

I don't want a street, just a vague idea
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    The current Conservative party continues to shoot itself in the foot with a double-barrelled shotgun.

It's truly time for a purge of the Mark Francois / JRM wings of the party.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,669
    There is no election-winning question to which the answer is Liz Truss.

Apart from "How did the Tories dodge a bullet by not putting to the membership?"
  • Options

Apart from "How did the Tories dodge a bullet by not putting to the membership?"

There is.

'Who is the most likely candidate to see Labour win the next election?'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Go figure.

Could we actually see the Tories at the sort of figure Angus Reid gave to Labour?
    Who?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage on GB News: Tories heading for a catastrophic loss at the next GE with Truss as leader.

He's not wrong there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Why are you so allergic to things t hat can make people die? People can die due to viruses, heat, cold, boredom, and a plethora of other things its all part of the circle of life. Everyone dies, but enjoy yourself along the ride.

When I'm old and dying I hope I will not have dementia and will be able to look back and remember as a happy memory playing with my kids in a paddling pool in our garden in the glorious sunshine. I don't expect to look back and wish I had more days where its 18, grey skies and boring.

NW England.

I have lived at various times in the NW, East Mids, West Mids, SW and SE of England plus as I said Melbourne, Aus - but mostly NW England.
  • Options
    Heard some cracking stuff on LT today. Obviously not for this website but seems like she likes some of the things Joanna Lumley does.

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,927
    HYUFD said:

Truss has Hague/IDS levels of appeal with voters it seems. Tory members taking a bit risk if they make her Tory Leader and PM

A master of understatement HYUFD

“a bit of a risk” is me asking for extra hot salsa on my burrito.

Making Liz Truss PM is a megacolossal risk. It could consign the Tories to one of their very worst defeats. I could see it even lead to the ignominy of losing an 80 seat majority to a Labour majority.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Go figure.

Who?
    https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2010/03/11/but-pbangus-reid-has-the-gap-widening-to-13-points/

And that was one of Labour's better performances with that pollster!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    MrEd said:

The current Conservative party continues to shoot itself in the foot with a double-barrelled shotgun.

Those aren't wing sof the Tory party. They *are* the Tory party.
  • Options
    No, there are others. Believe it or not, you can believe in Brexit but not be a frother like those two.

MrEd said:

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214
    Andy_JS said:

Perhaps having Farage against her will work to her advantage in government by making it safe for Cameroon Remainers to get behind her even as she follows a hard Brexit course.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MPs need to caucus to make sure Truss is not in the final two

I like some of her policies, I admire her free thinking, but my God she would crash to a dreadful defeat, she would lose the Red Wall and her Zeal-of-the-Converted Brexiteering would lose the Blue Wall

She could gift Labour a majority that would last for two terms. No

Yes please.

I only worry what further damage she will do to the country in the meantime.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,004
    Surprising the tories have got themselves into this position. And for some reason some MPs think Truss is the answer to somehow save their seats

They’ve literally gone for the worst candidate
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,201

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

Erdogan leaves Putin waiting, and he doesn’t look happy about it:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1549472588035932160

Turning the tables on him. I read once Putin is often very late for things, as a tactic.

(As I read something I can now only vaguely recall, on the internet, I of course not commit it to memory as a fact).
    Didn't he come to a meeting with Angela Merkel with a dog, knowing that she was afraid of them?
    You can take the man out of the KGB's Room 101, but you can't take Room 101 out of the man.

I wonder if US intelligence knows his deepest, darkest fear?

Buttons?

Lightening?

Cabbage Patch dolls?
    ? .
  • Options
    No, there are too few of them left and her personality anyway doesn't suggest someone who will stand up to her backers.

Top tip for betting on Tory MP elections. Never underestimate the stupidity of Tory MPs.

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps having Farage against her will work to her advantage in government by making it safe for Cameroon Remainers to get behind her even as she follows a hard Brexit course.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    The Tories want the one who can most convincingly impersonate Margaret Thatcher.
    Mordaunt seemed to play the role OK for a bit. But she was upstaged at the audition.
    In short. They want Maggie back.
    Not much evidence anyone else does.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,490
    HYUFD said:

If they pick her it'll because they no longer care about anything except indulging themselves. Another cycle of spending a lengthy period in opposition, until they get bored enough of it to be willing to compromise with the voters, is the likely result.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419

Andy_JS said:

The Cameroon Remainers would have to go through some astounding mental gymnastics for that to work.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,126

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

Turning the tables on him. I read once Putin is often very late for things, as a tactic.

(As I read something I can now only vaguely recall, on the internet, I of course not commit it to memory as a fact).
    Didn't he come to a meeting with Angela Merkel with a dog, knowing that she was afraid of them?
    You can take the man out of the KGB's Room 101, but you can't take Room 101 out of the man.

Buttons?

Lightening?

Cabbage Patch dolls?
    ? .
    Is that a unicorn or a Monoclonius?
  • Options
    For some reason, that picture is quite disturbing but I can't explain in words why

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

Buttons?

Lightening?

Cabbage Patch dolls?
    ? .
  • Options

darkage said:

I'm wondering how solid the assumption is that Truss is popular in the conservative party; and how much she has the potential to crash and burn as the leadership contest goes on (given her previous mishaps in the past few weeks). I don't think it is certain that she will win at all.

The problem is we all see these things as mishaps. But I think the people who will put her in charge of this country don’t see it as mishaps. She’s “our Liz”, the great low tax, low regulation, Brexit Boudicca. The more she drones on about these things the more they’ll see her as a classic Thatcherite Tory against that nasty backstabbing high tax Rishi.
    Agreed, she is great isn't she? 😍
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Surprising the tories have got themselves into this position. And for some reason some MPs think Truss is the answer to somehow save their seats

They've literally not. Well, at least 75% of them haven't, so far.

When it comes to the membership that might well be different.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,930

Andy_JS said:

The Cameroon Remainers would have to go through some astounding mental gymnastics for that to work.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,435
    Betfair next prime minister
    2.12 Liz Truss 47%
    2.52 Rishi Sunak 40%
    7.8 Penny Mordaunt 13%
    410 Keir Starmer
    530 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    2.08 Liz Truss 48%
    2.54 Rishi Sunak 39%
    7.6 Penny Mordaunt 13%

To be in final two
    1.02 Rishi Sunak 98%
    1.24 Liz Truss 81%
    4.5 Penny Mordaunt 22%
  • Options
    Just sad the tories spent years ridiculing Labour for their Corbyn decision, yet they are about to do the same themselves.

Why can’t they see it?
  • Options
    I think that's a good analysis. I suspect most of the party would never vote for RS a regardless because he is seen as too slick and clever. If it is Truss, they will convince themselves that the country wants a rerun of Maggie and she is it.

darkage said:

The problem is we all see these things as mishaps. But I think the people who will put her in charge of this country don’t see it as mishaps. She’s “our Liz”, the great low tax, low regulation, Brexit Boudicca. The more she drones on about these things the more they’ll see her as a classic Thatcherite Tory against that nasty backstabbing high tax Rishi.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    FPT - there's definitely skulduggery going on. Truss didn't get all those extra votes from Tom Tugendhat. It wouldn't surprise me if Sunak's true support is around the 130 MP mark and he's been playing with 10-15 MPs here and there. He's been creeping up ever so steadily whilst not actually crossing the line, keeping others hoping that they all have a chance of making the final too.

It's possible Gove could do a deal with Sunak and whip Badenoch's votes to all fall in line with him and Penny, who is more beatable, but otherwise her votes should go more to Truss.

Personally, I think Truss will make it. She wouldn't have pulled out of tonight's debates, together with Rishi, if they didn't think they had the numbers at the final count.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,804

Betfair next prime minister
    2.12 Liz Truss 47%
    2.52 Rishi Sunak 40%
    7.8 Penny Mordaunt 13%
    410 Keir Starmer
    530 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    2.08 Liz Truss 48%
    2.54 Rishi Sunak 39%
    7.6 Penny Mordaunt 13%

To be in final two
    1.02 Rishi Sunak 98%
    1.24 Liz Truss 81%
    4.5 Penny Mordaunt 22%

I’d probably lay Starmer at those odds.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Liz Truss hasn't been elected yet.
    In fact, she hasn't made the final two, and is still firmly in third.
    If she makes the top two I suspect she wins.
    But she hasn't sealed that deal quite yet.
    Never underestimate the influence of the Daily Mail if she does though.
  • Options

darkage said:

All that is true and fair enough. But the tories also like winners rather than losers. Sunak looks more like a winner to me.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

If they pick her it'll because they no longer care about anything except indulging themselves. Another cycle of spending a lengthy period in opposition, until they get bored enough of it to be willing to compromise with the voters, is the likely result.
    I suspect the average Tory member genuinely cannot understand why the nation as a whole wouldn't think Truss is the best candidate.

We all do it of course: 'surely everyone thinks like I do'. The issues arrises from the self-selecting nature of the party membership (similar issue with Labour).
  • Options

FPT - there's definitely skulduggery going on. Truss didn't get all those extra votes from Tom Tugendhat. It wouldn't surprise me if Sunak's true support is around the 130 MP mark and he's been playing with 10-15 MPs here and there. He's been creeping up ever so steadily whilst not actually crossing the line, keeping others hoping that they all have a chance of making the final too.

It's possible Gove could do a deal with Sunak and whip Badenoch's votes to all fall in line with him and Penny, who is more beatable, but otherwise her votes should go more to Truss.

Personally, I think Truss will make it. She wouldn't have pulled out of tonight's debates, together with Rishi, if they didn't think they had the numbers at the final count.

How do you whip a secret ballot?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,378
    So what's going on?

Do Conservatives not know that the public think Truss is a duffer?

Or are they perfectly aware, but have reached the kind of been-in-power-too-long decadance where they don't care?
  • Options

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect the average Tory member genuinely cannot understand why the nation as a whole wouldn't think Truss is the best candidate.

We all do it of course: 'surely everyone thinks like I do'. The issues arrises from the self-selecting nature of the party membership (similar issue with Labour).
    No excuse for the MPs though.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

No excuse for the MPs though.
    Well, 24% of Tory MPs at the moment.

They are, I suspect, more of the 'this is what I believe and I need to find a way to force it through' mindset.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I reckon Truss could wilt very badly under the scrutiny of weeks of coverage. She's going to get a rough ride from Mordaunt backers.
  • Options

Ironically, I believe it is lesser-evilism that has led them here. So concerned about the candidate they wanted to stop, that they didn't stop to think about the candidate they wanted to win.
    I think that is a fair assessment. Will be fascinating to see how long the honeymoon lasts. I don’t think there’ll be one
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303

I think the members are a scapegoat.

They wanted Kemi. It's the MPs who are putting forward Truss.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,634
    I know this is of no general value to the conversation, but I've never clocked the periodic table style logo for Opinium before. It's kinda cool.
  • Options

Just sad the tories spent years ridiculing Labour for their Corbyn decision, yet they are about to do the same themselves.

Why can’t they see it?

Because there's nothing remotely comparable in the two decisions.

Labour were in Opposition and had to try and make themselves more popular than the Tories. The Tories are already in Government and have an opportunity to get stuff done for the next couple of years.

Labour were narrowly short of getting into office and elected Corbyn then kept him on for not one but two elections. Tories are already in office and are due losing as a matter of when, not if.

Finally if the Tories stand for increasing taxes on those who work to a 74 year high, in order to further bloat our welfare budget for those who don't work, then what's the point in the Tories? They deserve to lose if so.

Having said that, I'll sell my principles for £5000 it appears, so go Rishi! But I won't vote for his party at the next election.
  • Options
    We've had a bit of rain here in the SE. A bit more than a dusting. Lots of promise (thunder, lightning etc) but no significant volume of rain. Won't really help the parched yellow ground.

• Options

dixiedean said:

I reckon Truss could wilt very badly under the scrutiny of weeks of coverage. She's going to get a rough ride from Mordaunt backers.
    If so, shall we have a sweep on how many headers we get from OGH telling us he backed Sunak at 250/1? ;-)
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,466
    MrEd said:

No, there are others. Believe it or not, you can believe in Brexit but not be a frother like those two.

MrEd said:

If I were Mark Francois, I would raise an eyebrow at being lectured by a UK Trumpton.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600

Judging by the last hmmm decade or more, I'm starting to think that the average Tory MP has rather poor judgement.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

Yes, but.
    She's already got the Mail virtually publicly masturbating. The other newspapers will fall into line faced with the "Socialist" Sunak or "woke" Mordaunt.
    She wilted pretty badly in the first debate.
    That didn't seem to hurt her.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,613
    (FPT)
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage on GB News: Tories heading for a catastrophic loss at the next GE.

Nigel Farage - the only person left who might make me vote Tory.
    Sorry, but I don’t think he’s likely to be in the running for leader.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,021
    First, why does Nigel Farage care about Tory electability? Second, isn’t Truss the most Brexity candidate left?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Based on what you have just seen, are there any candidates you think definitely shouldn't  be Prime Minister?

Swing voters:

Liz Truss 45%
    Rishi Sunak 27%
    Penny Mordaunt 26%

Opinium
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, but.
    She's already got the Mail virtually publicly masturbating. The other newspapers will fall into line faced with the "Socialist" Sunak or "woke" Mordaunt.
    And most votes will probably be returned early, before she could wilt. And those early voters will have been hearing 'Sunak has no chance with Members' for a couple of weeks.

Heck, people sometimes seem to do that just in case they might change their minds later. Do it early in a campaign and you can switch off, no deal with thorny questions of whether who we back is right, since it doesn't matter, too late to change it now.
  • Options

Why can’t they see it?

Labour were in Opposition and had to try and make themselves more popular than the Tories. The Tories are already in Government and have an opportunity to get stuff done for the next couple of years.

Labour were narrowly short of getting into office and elected Corbyn then kept him on for not one but two elections. Tories are already in office and are due losing as a matter of when, not if.

Finally if the Tories stand for increasing taxes on those who work to a 74 year high, in order to further bloat our welfare budget for those who don't work, then what's the point in the Tories? They deserve to lose if so.

Having said that, I'll sell my principles for £5000 it appears, so go Rishi! But I won't vote for his party at the next election.
    "The Tories are already in Government and have an opportunity to get stuff done for the next couple of years."

What, you mean like the wonderful stuff they have managed to do in the last 12 years?

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1549337977704402954?s=20&t=e2wxanFxfxdVlOnQG4lrjg

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,054
    glw said:

Judging by the last hmmm decade or more, I'm starting to think that the average Tory MP has rather poor judgement.
    To pick one of the few candidates worse than the incumbent is really quite an impressive feat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

NW England.

I have lived at various times in the NW, East Mids, West Mids, SW and SE of England plus as I said Melbourne, Aus - but mostly NW England.
    I believe I have diagnosed your problem

It is North West England. One of the dreariest, unsunniest places in the entire world - no joke. Check this map

https://vividmaps.com/annual-sunshine-hours-map-of-world/

In terms of annual sun hours, NW England is one of the gloomiest places on the planet, up there with most of mainland Scotland, maritime Canada, northern Siberia, and Antarctica. And..... that's it, pretty much. Only the Aleutians and the Hebrides might be WORSE

It really is that bad. Greenland has more sun than Lancashire. Svalbard has more sun. Tierra del Fuego has more sun

And yet you grew up in sun-drenched Melbourne. I therefore submit that you have a deep emotional hunger - an Oedipal lust- for more sun, sun in any way, please please give me more sun even if it is 40C, and therefore even if it arrives via a deathly heatwave it is more than welcome, so you justify enjoying it (and rightly, in a way)

This might be a factor affecting your mood, which you have said is not the best at the moment

I absolutely empathise - genuinely - because I suffer from SAD. I crave sunshine and I am happier in sunny places, and I get depressed in sunless places, it is that simple

I suggest a move to Eastbourne, Phoenix, or Tivat

You might be right, but either way I'm presently sat enjoying the weather still with a beer and have had a great couple of days with the kids playing in the evening in our pool. That's a memory I hope I and they will keep for a long time. Far more than just another random day of meh.

Would I want this weather all day, every day, for months on end? Hell no! But is it nice and glorious for an exception and we should it enjoy it for the precious little time we can enjoy it? Absolutely!

Its a bit like I have in-laws in the Rockies in Canada. They hate the snow, they have 6 months of it and have to clear their footpath almost daily (failure to clear the footpath outside your home will result in you being fined). However if we get snow in this country, I love it. Making snowmen with the kids is again a wonderful thing.

That which is rare, is more valuable. It applies to the weather as well as economics.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    edited July 2022
    MrEd said:

If Truss loses big the Francois/JRM wing would likely be most of what is left, the redwall MPs and most of the remaining London MPs having lost their seats to Labour and most of the Home counties Tory Remain seats going to the LDs and their last Scottish seats going SNP
  • Options

First, why does Nigel Farage care about Tory electability? Second, isn’t Truss the most Brexity candidate left?

She did vote Remain.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,011

Oh Farage cares about the size of the gap to the right of the party and whether it's big enough for him to slither back into it
  • Options
    I think this is already set and there just isn’t the time between voting rounds for things like this to take hold

Truss will overtake Pendolino comfortably tomorrow
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Funny enough the one thing that makes me think Truss could do better than expected as PM is the total consensus on here that she's a dud.
  • Options

I don't really see how. I know she is a born again Brexiter, but have the others actually differed from her in any way on Brexit issues?

It seems to come down to a feeling that the JRM crowd trust her judgement more, rather than that the others are not very Brexity (notwithstanding some laughable attempts to suggest Sunak was a remainer traitor).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,054

Apart from the two who actually voted for it!
  • Options

?
    She voted Remain.
    The other two were Brexiters long before it was fashionable.
  • Options
    That's possible. There is a core of Sunak supporters (Hancock, williamson etc) who could be replied upon to be reliable enough to switch votes on demand to another candidate as required. They will generally be ex-Minister types who hope for another chance .

If that is the game, who does Rishi not want to face? The immediate answer would be Truss. It raises the obvious question - why did he instruct some MPs to pile into Truss? - but it's clear from the polling he couldn't rely on KB making it to the top three. She would have represented a bigger threat than Truss. Far better to get her out of the way and not risk the ERG / RW MPs swinging behind her vote.

So, if you view things like this, the value bet may be PM. Shank "lends" her MPs confident she'll crash as she is seen as woke and a potential liar. It doesn't guarantee his success and it's a risk but, given the rules, it's the better option.

• Options
    dodrade said:

Funny enough the one thing that makes me think Truss could do better than expected as PM is the total consensus on here that she's a dud.

'Doing better than expected' is only a positive if the expectation is not already very low.

I think she has some basic competence, and I've never really gotten why she provoked such ire, but given who her most enthusiastic backers are, and how she might reward them, it is now a big worry for me.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    Foxy said:

glw said:

To pick one of the few candidates worse than the incumbent is really quite an impressive feat.
    I don't actually think she will be worse than Boris, but I sure as hell don't think that she's their best option.
  • Options

Why can’t they see it?

"The Tories are already in Government and have an opportunity to get stuff done for the next couple of years."

What, you mean like the wonderful stuff they have managed to do in the last 12 years?

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1549337977704402954?s=20&t=e2wxanFxfxdVlOnQG4lrjg

Well exactly, they have the option of more of the same crap of raising taxes with Sunak, when he's already planned and pre-announced he'll give more grey vote bribes at the next election.

Or turn a page on that crap with the Tories.

If they vote for Sunak I'll thank Ladbrokes and the Tories for my payout, but I'll be tempted to sign up to join the Lib Dems. I've had enough of that crap.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    NOM 1.79
    Con Maj 3.8
    Lab Maj 4.5

When’s crossover?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,414
    Strange, hot, ethereal winds have suddenly whipped up in my bit of Midlands and the sky is a weird red bruised colour.

End of Days stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Trussers have to hope that she can beat Mordaunt - not a slam dunk - and then go on to persuade the membership to choose purity over electability.

I reckon there’s still only about 30-40% chance of her going all the way to Number 10.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,618

Nigel Farage wants your attention, so of course he has to care about the biggest news story in British politics. Having a continuity Boris candidate win the leadership makes it a bit harder to run with the stab-in-the-back myth, so establishing that Truss is a vote-losing loser in contrast to super-Boris that Farage helped into office by standing aside at GE2019, is a necessary precondition for being able to say "I told you so," later on.

The question is: why should we care what Farage thinks any more?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,466
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

It’s notable that several likely Conservative voters here have developed a new appreciation for Truss, ever since … this afternoon when she became favourite. (Previously, I think Barty was her only enthusiast.)

That you have yet to succumb to this irrational optimism has sent you up considerably in my estimation (for what that’s worth).
    In all fairness to him, @HYUFD has been completely consistent on this point.
  • Options
    As a party member I am annoyed that I don’t have Kemi in the last two. She seemed to be the type of leader I could get enthused about. Now I have Rishi (wife too rich), Penny (Walter Mitty Boris Lite) and Liz (slightly strange) to choose from. My kids liked Kemi too but now say there’s no point because Labour will walk it. Sigh.
  • Options

Unfortunately yes.

But at risk of being replaced by a reinvigorated Reform party (if they get a decent team)
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

If Truss loses big the Francois/JRM wing would likely be most of what is left, the redwall MPs and most of the remaining London MPs having lost their seats to Labour and most of the Home counties Tory Remain seats going to the LDs
  • Options

She did vote Remain.
    If she’s Brexity enough for IDS, Rees-Mogg, Bill Cash and Mark Francois…
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,613
    edited July 2022
    MrEd said:

There’s not going to be much left, then.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage on GB News: Tories heading for a catastrophic loss at the next GE.

Nigel Farage - the only person left who might make me vote Tory.
    Sorry, but I don’t think he’s likely to be in the running for leader.
    If he were leader of the Tory party I'd vote Corbynite Labour ahead of them.

But if the choice was between a party led by him and a party led by any of this lot - even Truss...
  • Options

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

This does appear to be the key.

I think parties are particularly prone to it the longer they are in office, when easy choices are long gone, and there isn't a conveniently recent other government to blame (try though they will). They get lazier and lazier, they conflate their interests with the nation's over and over, which excuses any poor action, behaviour or failure, because if they don't win, that's a disaster. And they presume, ever more easily, that what they want must be what the public want.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't really see how. I know she is a born again Brexiter, but have the others actually differed from her in any way on Brexit issues?

It seems to come down to a feeling that the JRM crowd trust her judgement more, rather than that the others are not very Brexity (notwithstanding some laughable attempts to suggest Sunak was a remainer traitor).
    Sunak wants to be "cooperative" with the EU over Northern Ireland. 👎

Truss wants to be firm and has her NI Protocol Bill lined up and ready to go. 👍
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

People die in heatwaves, people die in the cold. More people die due to cold than heat, does that mean people can't enjoy building a snowman when it does
    snow?

NW England.

It is North West England. One of the dreariest, unsunniest places in the entire world - no joke. Check this map

In terms of annual sun hours, NW England is one of the gloomiest places on the planet, up there with most of mainland Scotland, maritime Canada, northern Siberia, and Antarctica. And..... that's it, pretty much. Only the Aleutians and the Hebrides might be WORSE

It really is that bad. Greenland has more sun than Lancashire. Svalbard has more sun. Tierra del Fuego has more sun

And yet you grew up in sun-drenched Melbourne. I therefore submit that you have a deep emotional hunger - an Oedipal lust- for more sun, sun in any way, please please give me more sun even if it is 40C, and therefore even if it arrives via a deathly heatwave it is more than welcome, so you justify enjoying it (and rightly, in a way)

This might be a factor affecting your mood, which you have said is not the best at the moment

I absolutely empathise - genuinely - because I suffer from SAD. I crave sunshine and I am happier in sunny places, and I get depressed in sunless places, it is that simple

“sun-drenched Melbourne”

Roflcopter
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,449
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

If Truss loses big the Francois/JRM wing would likely be most of what is left, the redwall MPs and most of the remaining London MPs having lost their seats to Labour and most of the Home counties Tory Remain seats going to the LDs
    👍 Well done @HYUFD a landmark!
  • Options
    Oh and Liz will win. Penny is not experienced enough and Rishi has no usp at all - the type of middle manager we like but would be useless in the top job
  • Options
    Guido makes this point today re the haste of the membership vote:

https://order-order.com/2022/07/19/cchqs-asap-timetable-begs-mps-to-ask-whats-the-point-in-hustings/

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, but.
    And most votes will probably be returned early, before she could wilt. And those early voters will have been hearing 'Sunak has no chance with Members' for a couple of weeks.

Heck, people sometimes seem to do that just in case they might change their minds later. Do it early in a campaign and you can switch off, no deal with thorny questions of whether who we back is right, since it doesn't matter, too late to change it now.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

NW England.

You might be right, but either way I'm presently sat enjoying the weather still with a beer and have had a great couple of days with the kids playing in the evening in our pool. That's a memory I hope I and they will keep for a long time. Far more than just another random day of meh.

Would I want this weather all day, every day, for months on end? Hell no! But is it nice and glorious for an exception and we should it enjoy it for the precious little time we can enjoy it? Absolutely!

Its a bit like I have in-laws in the Rockies in Canada. They hate the snow, they have 6 months of it and have to clear their footpath almost daily (failure to clear the footpath outside your home will result in you being fined). However if we get snow in this country, I love it. Making snowmen with the kids is again a wonderful thing.

That which is rare, is more valuable. It applies to the weather as well as economics.
    Indeed. Enjoy!

But, for your long term mental health and contentment, you might consider a move to the south of England, at least.... is my modest proposal

I've realised that one of the reasons I've been - generally, if not always - in a very benign mood these last three months is because I have spent it in almost total sunshine. From Nashville to New Orleans to Turkey to Greece to Tbilisi to Armenia to Montenegro, almost every morning I have woken up to warm or hot blue skies and wow, it improves the mood.

You might wake up feeling blue or groggy or frustrated or angsty but then you take your coffee and you shuffle out into the bright sweet light and you can't help thinking, your face upturned, Hey, nice day, life's not so bad, what will the morning bring?

Simple as that. I'm sure this trick doesn't work for everyone but boy it works for me
This discussion has been closed.