Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The battle to find Starmer’s succesor as LOTO? – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    He is Sunakered.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

One day there will be computers and robots powerful enough and intelligent enough to do 95% of jobs. Will this be a good thing? Maybe it'll leave most people without a purpose in life.

It also would make a UBI funded by a robot tax inevitable
    Why would the robots pay? No taxation without representation after all...
    Their owners would be required to pay it for them, otherwise no UBI and 90% unemployment = revolution
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

Is ConHome a good representation of the Tory membership?

It has been in past contests, I believe.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

One day there will be computers and robots powerful enough and intelligent enough to do 95% of jobs. Will this be a good thing? Maybe it'll leave most people without a purpose in life.

Eventually they will probably replace us and become the dominant species on the planet...
    They will probably worry about how often the pet humans get eaten by the super-foxes.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,372

Activists more than members, perhaps; their polls have a good record. I'd be a tad wary of the influx of new members over the past year or three.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

HYUFD said:

Conhome next Tory leader playoff survey finds Truss beats Sunak 51% to 34% but Badenoch beats Truss 52% to 34% and Mordaunt beats Truss 61% to 33%

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-third-liz-truss/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Terrible result for Rishi. Truss is the one I’d assumed he had the best chance against.
    Not surprising - the loonier (member friendly) candidate is going to win...
  • Options

Still waiting for a better PM than Blair. He left office in 2007…

We've had 2 better PM's than Blair already since then. Cameron and Boris.

But if you're wanting a better Labour PM, you might need to wait until Labour are popular again. Perhaps Starmer's successor might do it?
    ROFL Cameron and Johnson don’t have a candle on Blair. He did actual levelling up and actual positive change.

Johnson and Cameron divided the country and oversaw the largest stagnation in society in 100 years.
    This would be the stagnation that has led to record low unemployment?
    Record low but Kemi says more people are sitting around and doing nothing. Makes no sense.

Full employment where 40% of people on benefits are IN WORK.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

HYUFD said:

Conhome playoff survey finds Mordaunt beats Sunak 58% to 31% and Truss beats Sunak 51% to 34%

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/

🤮

There is not enough get Truss going in for my liking.

Since Sunday when my dad said he is backing Sunak but is convinced Truss is winning it I have had a 🤢 feeling.

As this is a betting site, we have to tell the betting world Truss is next PM?

I’m praying for Penny, to knock Truss out last two, but European land war and economic crisis no time for a novice is going to count against Penny isn’t it 😩
    Penny has been Defence Secretary
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    HYUFD said:

Conhome playoff survey finds Mordaunt beats Sunak 58% to 31% and Truss beats Sunak 51% to 34%

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/

Sunak even loses against Braverman.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Why would they pay it?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Why would the robots pay? No taxation without representation after all...
    Their owners would be required to pay or for them
    In our image we made robots for our slaves,
    Imagine all the time that we can save.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Carnyx said:

Kemi: "My government will discard the priorities of Twitter and deliver on the people's priorities."

Kemi: "Every quango leader should be sackable by a democratic minister."
    She is literally insane. These issues are not important to anyone.
    The quango'isation of government should be a concern - it is about removing accountability in the spending of public money using "independence" as a fig leaf. It also is quite handy in a chumocracy as a way to employ friends and family without the hassle of it being too obvious.
    Is not another element the use of charitable status to gain tax advantages?
    There is also a big problem with conflicts of interest, which are at the heart of a lot of scandals.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

But if you're wanting a better Labour PM, you might need to wait until Labour are popular again. Perhaps Starmer's successor might do it?
    ROFL Cameron and Johnson don’t have a candle on Blair. He did actual levelling up and actual positive change.

Johnson and Cameron divided the country and oversaw the largest stagnation in society in 100 years.
    Record low but Kemi says more people are sitting around and doing nothing. Makes no sense.

As @BartholomewRoberts would point out if he was here - if you are on benefits there is absolutely zero point working beyond the point income is clawed back...

Problem is there is no easy way to fix that without seriously increasing the cut off point at which people can no longer claim benefits (probably to something like £40-45,000 from £30,000).
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can believe it. Do we think he can recover amongst members once it gets going?
    I think Sunak will lose when it comes down to *whoever* is in the last two. The numbers seem to indicate that the "stop Sunak" vote is larger than the "pro Sunak" vote.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    It's looking bleak for Chishti.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Jonathan said:

He is Sunakered.

Very good.
  • Options
    This assumes it gets to the members of course
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I bet Boris is an unnamed Truss backer.
  • Options
    eek said:

As @BartholomewRoberts would point out if he was here - if you are on benefits there is absolutely zero point working beyond the point income is clawed back...

Problem is there is no easy way to fix that without seriously increasing the cut off point at which people can no longer claim benefits (probably to something like £40-45,000 from £30,000).
    It’s odd that this only changed after 2010

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,601
    Pulpstar said:

He doesn't seem to have any endorsements.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Bloomberg

Heathrow caps passengers numbers to 100,000 a day until 11 September

Is that incoming, outgoing and transferring or just those leaving?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Worst leadership campaign in history?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can believe it. Do we think he can recover amongst members once it gets going?
    I think Sunak will lose when it comes down to *whoever* is in the last two. The numbers seem to indicate that the "stop Sunak" vote is larger than the "pro Sunak" vote.
    FWIW, my dad - who is not a member of the party, but might be a bit like quite a lot in the party - doesn't want it to be Sunak. He likes Mordaunt. The tax issue has cut through with him.

I think the problem Sunak has is that nobody is talking about the state of the public finances. That COVID has reset the equation has completely passed most people by.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mordaunt versus Badenoch would be interesting, although it's unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

She’s going to make him Foreign Secretary
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277

All chief whips since '15 (excrpt heaton harris who stays neutral) backing RS. Suggests for him at least there is no obvious premiership ending skeleton the whips know of

Well Boris helpfully emptied out the cupboard of his skeletons when he was trying to undermine his own Chancellor a few months ago: the green card, the non dom wife etc,. He may, inadvertently, have done Rishi a favour because this is old news now.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,451

What incentive does the second placed candidate have (assuming Rishi wins the final MP round) to withdraw?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

🤮

Since Sunday when my dad said he is backing Sunak but is convinced Truss is winning it I have had a 🤢 feeling.

I’m praying for Penny, to knock Truss out last two, but European land war and economic crisis no time for a novice is going to count against Penny isn’t it 😩
    For all of 2 months 23 days…..
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

Kemi: "My government will discard the priorities of Twitter and deliver on the people's priorities."

The quango'isation of government should be a concern - it is about removing accountability in the spending of public money using "independence" as a fig leaf. It also is quite handy in a chumocracy as a way to employ friends and family without the hassle of it being too obvious.
    There is also a big problem with conflicts of interest, which are at the heart of a lot of scandals.
    The layering - using multiple layers of NGOs, charities and Quangos to do things - is perfectly designed to obfuscate such conflicts of interest.

Almost as if it was design for that.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022

It likely will. I think it will be Rishi with most MPs against 'whoever' who thinks the party membership will back them per Con Home. I only see a deal if Rishi is squeezed out by MPs
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Pulpstar said:

Boris is only human in wanting someone even more useless than him to succeed.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    edit
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Cyclefree said:

One thing I would like the next PM to do is to place the various ethics advisors on a statutory footing, reporting to Parliament and give them the power to initiate investigations independently (with a proper professional team of investigators not civil servants doing this off the side of their desks). If they could get cross-party backing for these changes, so much the better.

You're just trying to get a job offer, aren't you? Head Investigator, Ethics.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289

Bloomberg

Departing

BBC News - Heathrow limits passenger numbers over summer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62136022
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

To quote his mother, "who?"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964

Bloomberg

Departures.
    They've told airlines to stop selling tickets.
  • Options
    eek said:

In idle moments, I try and think of ways of *temporarily increasing benefits* to those who earn money while on benefits.

If insane marginal tax rates are just about dissuading people to work more, what would doubling the money they earn do?

The problem is to prevent it being gamed.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,442
    eek said:

eek said:

How are people on £30k claiming benefits?!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Although you also need to bear mind that there will also be a substantial 'Stop Liz' vote. 'Stop Penny' perhaps less so, but she might well fade as members begin to realise how inexperienced she is in terms of top-level politics.

Tom Tugendhat is a bit of a wild card in all this, although also inexperienced.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

HYUFD said:

🤮

I think, putting 2 n 2 together from 12 month of chats, the group Dad hangs out with down the club have wanted Sunak as PM for about 12 months - because they are thoughtful and wants that better financial direction from top of government Boris never gave! But they are aware of lot of pro Boris anti Sunak in the club all around them this year 😔

In my opinion, it’s insane not to have a sane and detailed economic planning right at the top on number ten chalk board. Boris Johnson was just back of the fag packet economic strategy planning and bluster - the number 1 most important thing to change from his going is that isn’t it? What is the bleeping point if that don’t change 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

🤮

Now you're on first-name terms, I think we know who you're backing!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

One thing I would like the next PM to do is to place the various ethics advisors on a statutory footing, reporting to Parliament and give them the power to initiate investigations independently (with a proper professional team of investigators not civil servants doing this off the side of their desks). If they could get cross-party backing for these changes, so much the better.

You really are an optimist. But if ever there was a moment they might be pressured into such an idea it is now.
    It is a brilliant idea. It would signal that they had really understood the lessons and it would shoot one of Labour's foxes. But it should be done regardless.

Honestly, they could do with listening to me on lots of things instead of the dimwit Spads they seem to rely on. They largely seem incapable of boiling an egg.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

Are there any plans to celebrate the centenary of the 1922 Committee?

The Long View on R4 this morning compared 1922 to 2022 in terms of the replacement of a PM ( Lloyd George and Johnson).
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

MattW said:

MattW said:

Its not just the 20mph, its the blanket nature of the policy. Absolutely no need for it to be 20mph at 3am...the argument about runners or kids, there isn't any at that time.

The US system of having 30mph, then at certain times e.g. school times, its 20mph seems a perfectly sensible comprise.

It isn't really a blanket policy, though:

The Welsh government have acknowledged the new lower limit won't be appropriate everywhere and local authorities can make exceptions, though not outside schools.

And the autonomy can only be increased in the process, I think.

Think about all the money that will no longer need to be spent on traffic calming, and cane be spent more usefully.
    Lets see, I bet its 20mph basically everywhere, as the argument will always be think of the kids...its like new temporary taxes, they only ever become permanent and go up.
    I'd say that I would quite like a blanket-except-for-through-routes 20mph - eg in London, except for Red Routes.

But the real future is segregation of modes, plus limiting motor-vehicles in shared spaces so that mixing is safe for others.
    The safety issue is exaggerated by the cycling lobby. That is not to say that there are no safety issues when it comes to the interaction between two wheeled vehicles and those with 4 or more.

But the number of cycling fatalities has been falling in the UK for a long time even though cycling has been increasing.

The cycling lobby here in Oxford almost seem to relish a tragic accident. One of their number collects old bikes, sprays them white and ties them up next to the site of the accident within hours.

Road deaths should never be exploited for political gain. It is ghoulish.

Improved road safety is more about education and enforcement than it is about creating new segregation.

I appreciate that there are good drivers and bad drivers. There are good cyclists and bad cyclists.

A couple of times a week, I drive someone into central Oxford so they can get to work. Mobility issues preventing them from getting there without a vehicle. On each trip, I always see a number of cyclists jumping red lights, using mobile phones whilst cycling, wearing headphones and so forth. All of which comprise their safety. But in the event of an accident, the vehicle driver will now be assumed liable.

If cycling is to be given greater prominence in terms of road planning, cyclists will have to be subject to greater scrutiny in terms of their of own responsibilities. A complete ban on the use of mobile devices/headphones would be a start. Proper cycling education would seem desirable along with a requirement for a certain type of light, reflective clothing and helmets

Road use should be about respect, responsibility and governed by fair enforcement.

No one wants road deaths. Everyone has their part to play in this.
    I think we're arguing to achieve the same conclusion here - safe and responsible transportation is best for everyone - but I do disagree with some of your points.

Complete ban on mobile devices would be impossible to enforce; and tbh I'd be willing to bet it's the more responsible road users who use them - typically for journey planning and fitness tracking via Garmin, Strava etc.

Also I'm not sure I see the reason why folk driving cars can use Sat Nav and Spotify and somehow be less distracted? Like most people who sometimes cycle, I sometimes drive a car too. It strikes me that the consequences of inattentive driving are likely to be more serious than inattentive cycling (or walking). Having been hit twice by drivers (in both cases turning suddenly without indicating or checking mirrors - which they will certainly have been educated to do, btw), the supposed liability of those drivers for my injuries was kind of moot as they just drove off leaving me in the road.

And, as has been pointed out elsewhere ad nauseam, in cities and countries where cycling has genuinely become a commonplace routine form of transport for all, no special clothing is required (in fact you look a bit weird if you have it).

As an aside, the less prominence given to cycling in road planning the better, as the resulting infrastructure is almost always terrible (in Manchester anyway). Even such a simple consideration as being able to turn right onto a side road is not catered for. Bike routes =/= tram lines.
  • Options
    PaulSimonPaulSimon Posts: 34
    edited July 2022
    I have mixed feelings about Truss. Her political views are probably closest to my own - low tax libertarian - but she is obviously a terrible public speaker, an even worse debater, and a dreadful media perfomer. I don't see her winning a GE unless she can buy off the electorate with popular policies, but given the economic situation, no candidate will be able to do anything particularly popular for the next two years.

I think/hope the membership will reach the same conclusion when she disintegrates live in front of them at the hustings and televised debates.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

eek said:

In idle moments, I try and think of ways of *temporarily increasing benefits* to those who earn money while on benefits.

If insane marginal tax rates are just about dissuading people to work more, what would doubling the money they earn do?

UBI with progressive taxation. Ensures nobody should be in poverty, can't be gamed and always an incentive to work.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Mordaunt versus Badenoch would be interesting, although it's unlikely to happen.
    Badenoch is not only able to cut to the quick of Britain's problems but also present them in a way the members understand:

EG:

'Net Zero is unilateral economic disarmament'

What a line.......Genius.....F8cking genius.

• Options
    Aaron Bell speaking on Sky News.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,746

Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

The layering - using multiple layers of NGOs, charities and Quangos to do things - is perfectly designed to obfuscate such conflicts of interest.

Quango = quasi-autonomous... Their independence is a convenient fiction that only works if we all believe in it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    slade said:

Are there any plans to celebrate the centenary of the 1922 Committee?

The Long View on R4 this morning compared 1922 to 2022 in terms of the replacement of a PM ( Lloyd George and Johnson).
    One knew my father.
    The other is likely to be the father.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    None of the leadership contenders seems to be talking about levelling up. Focus seems to be on shrinking the state, which helps London and the SE. Have the Tories given up on the Red Wall, or do they hope that going large on Chicks with Dicks will obscure the abandonment of levelling up as a policy objective?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

To quote his mother, "who?"
    Agatha, she wrote who dunnits.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,139
    Ah jeez, its gonna be Sunak isn’t it

Britain will be represented abroad by a man who could walk under a grasshopper

At least, I suppose, he’s better than Ben Wallace
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    I hope it’s Sunak against Penny. Predominately because that means Truss won’t be involved.

Anyone backed by Rees-Mogg and Dorries doesn’t deserve to go through
  • Options

What incentive does the second placed candidate have (assuming Rishi wins the final MP round) to withdraw?
    The runner-up might withdraw in exchange for a top job, or stay in and risk the fate of Jeremy Hunt or all the Labour types (eg Yvette Cooper) who boycotted Corbyn and lost to Starmer. The next contest is always about the ones who served, not those who kept their hands clean on the sidelines.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584

I don't think anyone who completed a survey of 55 possible final two contests is representative of anything.
    (With the possible exception of PB.)
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cookie said:

eek said:

eek said:

How are people on £30k claiming benefits?!
    UC taper. The couple rate only reduces to zero at somewhere over 30k depending on housing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

🤮

For how long was that HY? These elections seem to be bias to whoever is in great offices of state at the moment they happen and experience.

What are you doing to stop Truss getting into last two HY? Otherwise as the preeminent betting site in human universe we have too tell world Truss is on conveyer belt to number 10. And I’m going to blame you for complacency 😠
  • Options

None of the leadership contenders seems to be talking about levelling up. Focus seems to be on shrinking the state, which helps London and the SE. Have the Tories given up on the Red Wall, or do they hope that going large on Chicks with Dicks will obscure the abandonment of levelling up as a policy objective?

It's gone.
    There never was a plan, anyway.
    No there's no money for it even if it existed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584

And declining workforce participation by those of working age.
    Yes.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    MISTY said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Badenoch is not only able to cut to the quick of Britain's problems but also present them in a way the members understand:

EG:

'Net Zero is unilateral economic disarmament'

What a line.......Genius.....F8cking genius.

And abandoning net zero is Mutually Assured Destruction.
  • Options
    kjh said:

eek said:

UBI with progressive taxation. Ensures nobody should be in poverty, can't be gamed and always an incentive to work.
    UBI would require the country to be wealthier than it is now - given the growth curves, within our lifetimes...

The we can do this

1) UBI replaces benefits, tax free allowance, state pension.
    2) All income above that taxed.
    3) Single income tax (NI abolished)

The tax code can be written on a postcard.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    edited July 2022
    Ugh all this calling of politicians by their first name makes me want to puke. They’re not my pal, or my colleague, they’re want to be PM. Anyone who tries to make that relationship “chummy” should be disqualified.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sunak may end up showing us just how unrepresentative of its electorate our political class is.

The MPs clearly want him. The conhome polls show he would lose to even second rank rivals in a two horse race.

Everybody knows him and yet he can only manage third in the conhome poll.

• Options
    PaulSimon said:

I have mixed feelings about Truss. Her political views are probably closest to my own - low tax libertarian - but she is obviously a terrible public speaker, an even worse debater, and a dreadful media perfomer. I don't see her winning a GE unless she can buy off the electorate with popular policies, but given the economic situation, no candidate will be able to do anything particularly popular for the next two years.

I think/hope the membership will reach the same conclusion when she disintegrates live in front of them at the hustings and televised debates.

I think she is slightly underestimated to be honest. A lot of people suggest that she’s thick - I don’t get that impression at all. She does however suffer from a lack of “seriousness” which is partly as a result of the infamous cheese speech and partly as a result of her Instagram antics.

I don’t think she’s the best choice for next Tory leader. I find it difficult to see her winning an election. But I do think she is slightly unfairly pilloried.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris is only human in wanting someone even more useless than him to succeed.
    Boris Johnson has not ruled out attempting to make a comeback should his successor’s government collapse, according to allies.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-has-not-ruled-out-making-comeback-vtrjqwczf (£££)
  • Options

That isn't going to work when I suspect the Labour manifesto will feature HS2E, NPR and quite possibly given the state of Parliament a plan to move Parliament to Manchester

* Can't really be Birmingham for reasons and as others have pointed out if you move it to a small place it will total dominate the town / city but would leave whole piles of things in London.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

It is the next big scandal. Some journalists have sniffed around it. It's one thing I'd be looking at. A lot of "charities" and quangos are very smelly indeed. If I were PM and looking at charity law, a lot of charities would be quaking in their boots.

Cyclefree said:

You're just trying to get a job offer, aren't you? Head Investigator, Ethics.
    I'd be brilliant at it as well.

But I have just been offered a contract which will involve me writing some articles, amongst other things, and some look like they will be in the FT, if it all comes off. So they'll need to get a move on.

• Options
    Ghedebrav said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Its not just the 20mph, its the blanket nature of the policy. Absolutely no need for it to be 20mph at 3am...the argument about runners or kids, there isn't any at that time.

The US system of having 30mph, then at certain times e.g. school times, its 20mph seems a perfectly sensible comprise.

The Welsh government have acknowledged the new lower limit won't be appropriate everywhere and local authorities can make exceptions, though not outside schools.

Think about all the money that will no longer need to be spent on traffic calming, and cane be spent more usefully.
    Lets see, I bet its 20mph basically everywhere, as the argument will always be think of the kids...its like new temporary taxes, they only ever become permanent and go up.
    I'd say that I would quite like a blanket-except-for-through-routes 20mph - eg in London, except for Red Routes.

But the real future is segregation of modes, plus limiting motor-vehicles in shared spaces so that mixing is safe for others.
    The safety issue is exaggerated by the cycling lobby. That is not to say that there are no safety issues when it comes to the interaction between two wheeled vehicles and those with 4 or more.

But the number of cycling fatalities has been falling in the UK for a long time even though cycling has been increasing.

The cycling lobby here in Oxford almost seem to relish a tragic accident. One of their number collects old bikes, sprays them white and ties them up next to the site of the accident within hours.

Improved road safety is more about education and enforcement than it is about creating new segregation.

I appreciate that there are good drivers and bad drivers. There are good cyclists and bad cyclists.

A couple of times a week, I drive someone into central Oxford so they can get to work. Mobility issues preventing them from getting there without a vehicle. On each trip, I always see a number of cyclists jumping red lights, using mobile phones whilst cycling, wearing headphones and so forth. All of which comprise their safety. But in the event of an accident, the vehicle driver will now be assumed liable.

If cycling is to be given greater prominence in terms of road planning, cyclists will have to be subject to greater scrutiny in terms of their of own responsibilities. A complete ban on the use of mobile devices/headphones would be a start. Proper cycling education would seem desirable along with a requirement for a certain type of light, reflective clothing and helmets

Road use should be about respect, responsibility and governed by fair enforcement.

I think we're arguing to achieve the same conclusion here - safe and responsible transportation is best for everyone - but I do disagree with some of your points.

Complete ban on mobile devices would be impossible to enforce; and tbh I'd be willing to bet it's the more responsible road users who use them - typically for journey planning and fitness tracking via Garmin, Strava etc.

Also I'm not sure I see the reason why folk driving cars can use Sat Nav and Spotify and somehow be less distracted? Like most people who sometimes cycle, I sometimes drive a car too. It strikes me that the consequences of inattentive driving are likely to be more serious than inattentive cycling (or walking). Having been hit twice by drivers (in both cases turning suddenly without indicating or checking mirrors - which they will certainly have been educated to do, btw), the supposed liability of those drivers for my injuries was kind of moot as they just drove off leaving me in the road.

And, as has been pointed out elsewhere ad nauseam, in cities and countries where cycling has genuinely become a commonplace routine form of transport for all, no special clothing is required (in fact you look a bit weird if you have it).

As an aside, the less prominence given to cycling in road planning the better, as the resulting infrastructure is almost always terrible (in Manchester anyway). Even such a simple consideration as being able to turn right onto a side road is not catered for. Bike routes =/= tram lines.
    Using headphones massively reduces situation awareness for both cyclists and drivers. They should be banned.

If you are using fitness device, set it before you set off. Staring at your watch while riding a bike, let alone fiddling with it, is a bad idea.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    OnboardG1 said:

Ugh all this calling of politicians by their first name makes me want to puke. They’re not my pal, or my colleague, they’re want to be PM. Anyone who tries to make that relationship “chummy” should be disqualified.

Quite right too. @kinabalu used to moan that to use 'Boris' was to succumb to the man's Svengali-like principles and/or sign up to his entire programme (I paraphrase, but I agree very much with K.) But K. has given up of late.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Although you also need to bear mind that there will also be a substantial 'Stop Liz' vote. 'Stop Penny' perhaps less so, but she might well fade as members begin to realise how inexperienced she is in terms of top-level politics.

Tom Tugendhat is a bit of a wild card in all this, although also inexperienced.
    I suppose it is too much to hope that if Rishi mentions it enough some members will vaguely remember when the Tories took management of the economy and public finances seriously? Some nostalgic feeling for the good old days?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Worst leadership campaign in history?
    I don't know what he's doing. Maybe it's simply to raise his profile with the public and MPs.
  • Options

kjh said:

eek said:

UBI would require the country to be wealthier than it is now - given the growth curves, within our lifetimes...

The we can do this

Sounds like too much hard work with too many losers.
  • Options
    eek said:

That isn't going to work when I suspect the Labour manifesto will feature HS2E, NPR and quite possibly given the state of Parliament a plan to move Parliament to Manchester

* Can't really be Birmingham for reasons and as others have pointed out if you move it to a small place it will total dominate the town / city but would leave whole piles of things in London.
    Move Parliament to Glasgow.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sunak even loses against Braverman.
    🫣 “I’ve got a bad feeling about this”
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

eek said:

It’s odd that this only changed after 2010

To a certain extent it was true before then. The advantage to be personally is I was able to reduce my working hours when I became a single parent, and the loss of post-tax, and post -tax credit, income was relatively modest.

That's was a good thing for me and my daughter, but it has other negative consequences too.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Yeah. I find it really irritating too.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,424
    Pulpstar said:

It always did, didn't it?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022

kjh said:

eek said:

The we can do this

For all the positive theory of UBI, it is certainty that politicians will get hold of it and then we will get the Gordon Brown effect, oh I have found such and such group of people who I think would benefit from some extra funding, so I am going to have a special extra UBI payment for ....and in doing so a group of people who don't need it also get extra....5-10 years down the line and you back in their perverse situation where some people because of unique circumstances are getting extra + extra + extra on their UBI.
  • Options

The runner-up might withdraw in exchange for a top job, or stay in and risk the fate of Jeremy Hunt or all the Labour types (eg Yvette Cooper) who boycotted Corbyn and lost to Starmer. The next contest is always about the ones who served, not those who kept their hands clean on the sidelines.
    There was nothing inevitable about Jeremy Hunt’s fate - he turned down an offer of a cabinet role by Boris.

If you’re second placed against someone you consider to be beatable then I don’t see a situation where you would withdraw.

If we get a few more polls suggesting someone like Liz would lose to Rishi in a landslide then maybe I would see it. But in the current febrile and uncertain situation it doesn’t seem likely to me.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It's gone.
    There never was a plan, anyway.
    No there's no money for it even if it existed.
    Indeed.

One might as well ask "Post-Cameron, where now for his Big Society project?"

In the bin is where.
  • Options

Bloomberg

The People smuggling gangs getting so many across the the channel should rebrand themselves UKs most reliable travel firm
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Ghedebrav said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I am fine with using devices fixed to the cycle that require no interaction whilst moving. But cycling whilst texting or holding the phone to make a car is just wrong but not currently illegal.

I strongly disagree with your position on clothing and helmets. It should be commonplace to be as visible as possible because cycling isn't just restricted to dedicated areas in major urban centres. It needs to cover all eventualities and so asking all cyclists to be as visible as possible is not a major step and it is better to have a one size fits all approach rather than leaving it to the discretion of the cyclist.

• Options

PaulSimon said:

I think she is slightly underestimated to be honest. A lot of people suggest that she’s thick - I don’t get that impression at all. She does however suffer from a lack of “seriousness” which is partly as a result of the infamous cheese speech and partly as a result of her Instagram antics.

I don’t think she’s the best choice for next Tory leader. I find it difficult to see her winning an election. But I do think she is slightly unfairly pilloried.
    She's a seriously poor speaker. Like Javid.
    That doesn't equate to "thick" at all. But it does create that impression.
    Look at all the Boris fans who seem to insist he's the closest thing to Isaac Newton this country has produced in 500 years. Because he's able to use long and obscure words.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It always did, didn't it?

I love the angle on that picture. Chishti is subtly saying he is a man we can all look up to - the Big Unfriendly Giant.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Leon said:

How tall are you @Leon ? I am guessing you are all of 1 inch taller than Sunak based on that picture the other day that included your shoes. Unless you are a reverse Hobbit perhaps?
  • Options
    Johnson is a dreadful speaker
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

PaulSimon said:

She's a seriously poor speaker. Like Javid.
    That doesn't equate to "thick" at all. But it does create that impression.
    Look at all the Boris fans who seem to insist he's the closest thing to Isaac Newton this country has produced in 500 years. Because he's able to use long and obscure words.
    Surely "the closest thing to Isaac Newton this country has produced in 500 years" is Isaac Newton?
  • Options

Out of interest the much sighted 30mph kills kids / 20 mph saves them, how many kids are killed as pedestrians on the road each year? I have no idea.

Blanket policies are beloved of bureaucrats and technocrats.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,424

He always was- it's just that sometimes he had a good editor.

You want a historical butterfly- what if the director of THAT episode of Have I Got News For You got the runs that afternoon, and was replaced by an inferior standin?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

If they're confident they'll win the member's vote, none, unless they never wanted to be PM now and only wanted a strong showing to use to win a big Cabinet job. That and it gets rid of Johnson more quickly.
  • Options

He isn't though.

He's an arse. He ums and ahs. He wings it in a way that causes problems. He says stuff I disagree with rather a lot.

But as an orator he is pretty engaging and even charismatic. I don't feel the need to claim he isn't just because I dislike the bloke.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I wouldn’t be surprised if after this election there are calls to ban the Tory membership from a role in the process. Particularly when they are in Govt. We’re going to end up with somebody with no serious Govt or political experience on the basis of not being somebody else and or saying things people like.

There’s a reason people don’t usually get catapulted into the top jobs and ideally have a range of roles in Govt beforehand. It should actually give them a real world view of what can and can’t be delivered, and the difficulties of doing so.

Furthermore a new leader can’t just take a “mandate” from the party as replacing the mandate given to the Conservatives by a General Election. They can bring a new focus to non policy related issues (honesty, integrity etc etc) but broadly the policy direction is set absent a new election.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Andy_JS said:

Out of interest the much sighted 30mph kills kids / 20 mph saves them, how many kids are killed as pedestrians on the road each year? I have no idea.

Blanket policies are beloved of bureaucrats and technocrats.
    Roads where bikes go faster than cars are really dangerous. There are 20mph hills near me where driving down is quite scary. So much more that drivers have to look out for, and it’s not safe having to spend more time looking in rear view mirrors than on the road in front.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    eek said:

Cookie said:

Pro_Rata said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Off thread, but do other posters have a view on this proposed tower in Manchester:

You will not be surprised to learn that Amir Khan is involved.

To my surprise, despite trying, I don't hate it. (I hope I'm not unduly influenced in this by the fact that Sam Wheeler, the Momentum largely anti-development councillor for this part of the city centre, does hate it.) I think the higher the building, the more reflective it needs to be, particularly in a city where sunshine isn't a given, and it will at least be shiny.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/developer-of-manchesters-19m-gold-tower-eyes-more-sites/

Boring, I'm afraid - to my mind. Also, 96% of planned buildings look better in the render than in reality, so that will get worse
    That is quite deliberate, I think.
    And quite a few renders I've seen are from perspectives impossible in real life unless you're airborne. Good architects are rare.
    That's not offensive and quite like the part octagon shaping. And it's not that tall really.

Where is it? Are we looking N / NE towards the St. Peter's Square there? Somewhere west of Oxford Road?
    It is up near Piccadilly Station, between it and Great Ancoats St. Up there, anything new built would be an improvement and bring the place on a bit. Ancoats itself has had a lot of redevelopment and it looks better for it
    It's the colour of it which is dividing opinion.
    As I said, while I expected to hate it, I don't. And it's better than what's there at the moment (though there are new buildings in Manchester which are better than what was there before but still represent a regrettable missed opportunity, and in this area of town I would expect something else to come forward if this does not).
    For me, it passes the test - but I can see why it's controversial.
    I have to say, I prefer Liverpool's skyline. There are some really interesting buildings around the city centre
    London has the most interesting buildings in the country but overall it's a mess. Manchester needs to decide quickly whether it wants to follow London or Paris, where most buildings are half a dozen storeys high and you can see the Eiffel Tower from a distance. Not sure why we should be able to guess Amir Khan is involved.
    I suspect it's already too late for that for Manchester - Equally what exactly is the Manchester equivalent to the Eiffel Tower or even La Défense.
    Perhaps it should build one.

Manchester - like Birmingham - has an inauspicious topography for a great city. No harbour, no hills, no great river.

The best thing about Manchester is the unmistakeable dark-red warehouses that tower above you.

They should riff on that form more.
    Hamburg (and to a lesser extent Amsterdam) have interesting bricken design.

This discussion has been closed.