Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tories drop to new low in Ipsos “fit to govern” tracker – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

Tories braced for by-election - Telegraph

Cant see it unless he quits himself, rob rob robrobertsrob never disappeared and is 'similar'
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Has any PB-er changed their behaviour yet, thanks to Covid version 9.0?

Honest question. I haven’t. Indeed the mere possibility of ANOTHER lockdown and another winter of eternal shiteness makes me want to live it up even more. If we are all doomed
    let us eat, drink and be merry

Not really.
    I still don't think posting on PB on a Friday night qualifies as living it up even more.
    Fair, but on the other hand I am doing it on a balcony overlooking the dreamy Bay of Kotor, after ten weeks of continuous travel from the USA to Armenia

Does planning to run away to a Mediterranean love nest created by a silver-tongued artist in one final glorious act of folly before the apocalypse count?
  • Options

Uxbridge and South Ruislip?
    Moray?
    South Wales Central*?

(*Do Senedd regions even hold by-elections?)
    Moray would be interesting on a number of levels
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Honest question. I haven’t. Indeed the mere possibility of ANOTHER lockdown and another winter of eternal shiteness makes me want to live it up even more. If we are all doomed

Not really.
    I still don't think posting on PB on a Friday night qualifies as living it up even more.
    Fair, but on the other hand I am doing it on a balcony overlooking the dreamy Bay of Kotor, after ten weeks of continuous travel from the USA to Armenia

Does planning to run away to a Mediterranean love nest created by a silver-tongued artist in one final glorious act of folly before the apocalypse count?
    Planning - or actually running away?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    So much expertise on how women think and what they want. I wish I had always known this......
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Sean’s onto hot teens and racial superiority. Typical evening on PB.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Cant see it unless he quits himself, rob rob robrobertsrob never disappeared and is 'similar'
    I was surprised Parish quit, yet as you say some never would, so it can be hard to guess.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited July 2022
    kyf_100 said:

@kyf_100 i disagree.

I don’t really want to talk about my “sentimental” life - what am I, Leon? - but my takeaway is that the world is full of people with quite varied tastes…

The OKCupid data on racial preferences (from 2009, so pre-Tinder):

https://archive.ph/kMP32

And their data on how women perceive male attractiveness vs how men perceive female attractiveness (hint: women are much more picky, and tend to rate all but the most attractive 10% of men as terminally unattractive), men are much more easygoing:

https://archive.ph/489UV

As I say, the data doesn't lie, though given the inevitable conclusions you have to draw from it, you can see why Woke World has memory holed it.
    The data doesn’t lie and sure this is true in aggregate, but I still think the wider world contains opportunities.

For example, I have an weird accent which is 60% English, 40% NZ. That’s probably interesting to some women in New York.

(As it is I am happily married, thanks).

My personal suspicion is that for men, unless you are an Adonis, it starts out quite difficult (online dating), but gets easier as you advance in years and “status”.
  • Options

BoJo is also a honorary citizen of Odesa now!
    I know you many of you guys hate his guts, but he’s 100% the most popular foreign politician here in Ukraine.
    Many jokingly refer to him as “our glorious fellow Cossack Boris Johnsoniuk”

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1542992367728353280

I am more than happy for Boris to be Ambassador to Ukraine, or even plenipotentiary for matters involving it.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I am 25 years old, I work for the Conservative Party, I won't vote Conservative while the current PM is in place because he's intent on fucking over everyone under 65, to try and secure his short term prospects at the long term cost of the death of the party.

There was a particularly apt description of young people voting Conservative I saw on Twitter - "an act of social charity for pensioners". I think it's basically correct. All I've gotten from them in 12 years is higher taxes, less affordable housing, and incompetent government. Why vote Tory? They're already doing all the stuff I'm worried Labour will do anyway.

Young people today are better off than they've ever been before. They have no reason to complain about anything.
    Great spoof post - had me going for a moment there!
    Genuinely curious in what way Andy thinks young people are better off than they have ever been. I mean, I believe the world has actually made a lot of progress in ways people don't acknowledge, being pessimists, but many of the things I might think are good I don't think he does.
  • Options

Moray?
    South Wales Central*?

Not really. One of the more predictable of the SNP/Con battleground seats. Baxter predicts:

SNP 65% chance of winning
    Con 35% chance of winning

And the new boundaries are cruel for the Cons.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

"A 6-foot man earning $62,500 per year is, on average, as desirable as a similar 5'6" man who earns $237,500. In other words, those six inches of height are worth about $175,000 in salary on the dating market."

https://amzn.to/3uddDRu"

https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1542952695987830785?cxt=HHwWgoCw2arT1ekqAAAA

Those aren't the most significant inches my friend.
    They are. Women are absolutely brutal about height

Thank goodness there are still women in the lower 5ft range.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

I was surprised Parish quit, yet as you say some never would, so it can be hard to guess.
    Parish seems a relatively normal guy who did something very stupid and quit in shame. He doesnt seem the lifetime arsehole sort that Pincher clearly is. Parish has pretty outdated views on same sex marriage but that aside i feel somewhat sorry for him given the behaviour of scores of others.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,444
    edited July 2022

I hope so, it would be an interesting by-election. This is an area which has been swinging to the Tories in a very big way at recent GEs so wouldn't be an easy win for Labour.
  • Options
    Net favourability ratings:

Sturgeon +15

Sarwar +3
    Starmer 0

Cole-Hamilton -11

Harvie -11

Slater -11

Ross -26
    Sunak -28
    UK govt -51

Salmond -61

Johnson -62

Savanta ComRes; 23-28 June
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Moray?
    South Wales Central*?

Not really. One of the more predictable of the SNP/Con battleground seats. Baxter predicts:

SNP 65% chance of winning
    Con 35% chance of winning

And the new boundaries are cruel for the Cons.
    Oh i meant on current boundaries and immediately.
    Probably an SNP gain with Bozo in position but set against that Moray was one of the few council areas the Scot Tories won in May and increased vote from 2017 albeit very marginally, theres not much action with the juinor unioners to worry about so it becomes an interesting proxy over the recent referendum/indy announcement.
    After boundaries, easy SNP win with current support profiles.

• Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon: would you say height or money is more important?

Honestly?

When you’re young, height, for sure

But as everyone ages, and the women get more desperate and less picky - money

But also, personality comes to the fore. If you can make them laugh: that can be better than anything, especially in tough times

That’s the opinion of a solitary divorced traveller in Montenegro, FWIW
    A sense of humour in a man is essential. Plus good personal hygiene. And an interest in you.

I can't really understand dating sites because, not that this matters to me now, I simply cannot say that I have a type. All the lovers in my life have been very different to one another. So the idea of limiting one's choice to a small category seems very odd.

You can get a spark from all sorts of people. Why limit yourself?

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

I hope so, it would be an interesting by-election. This is an area which has been swinging to the Tories in a very big way at recent GEs so wouldn't be an easy win for Labour.
    Be funny if it swing LD, though unlike some recent ones it really should not be one where people arbitrarily decide the LDs are the best chance to beat the Tories.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Not really.

Planning - or actually running away?
    I like to keep them guessing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Be funny if it swing LD, though unlike some recent ones it really should not be one where people arbitrarily decide the LDs are the best chance to beat the Tories.
    LDs at their height got to 16%, they wont feature.
    If it happens it ought to be a hold, probably high 40s to high 30s with LDs and others grubbing for deposits
    Labour show no sign of being able to muster 20% swings
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,169
    Wordle 378 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟨⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This may be the last one I post. The fad is fad-ing, it seems.
  • Options
    No 10 considers 50-year mortgages that could pass down generations

… the potential to saddle children with debt…

In England, people in full-time work now need to spend an average of 9.1 times their annual earnings to buy a home.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/01/no-10-considers-50-year-mortgages-that-could-pass-down-generations
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Happy Canada Day! To dixiedean, and all the others who celebrate it today.

In my opinion, Americans should try to be better neighbors to Canadians than they are to us. I'm not sure how
    many Americans share that view, but Canada is quite popular here: https://news.gallup.com/poll/390641/americans-rate-canada-britain-france-japan-favorably.aspx

"Canada, Great Britain, France and Japan are rated favorably by more than eight in 10 Americans this year in Gallup's annual World Affairs poll. The survey, which was conducted before Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, finds five countries at the other end of the spectrum with favorable ratings under 20%: North Korea, Afghanistan, Iran, Russia and Iraq."

(One funny story from our border towns some years ago. For some reason, good coats were much less expensive in the US than in Canada. (Tariffs?) So Canadians from British Columbia began coming down to shop at malls near the border. To evade Canadian Customs, they would often wear an old coat on the drive down, and then discard it at the mall.

So at least a few malls added places where they could drop their old coats.)

• Options

In England, people in full-time work now need to spend an average of 9.1 times their annual earnings to buy a home.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/01/no-10-considers-50-year-mortgages-that-could-pass-down-generations

Random policy generator now in full effect. If Tory MPs cant see the damage this nonsense is doing to the nation first and their party second maybe it is time for them to leave the scene for good.
    Farage will get to post the All Your Voters Are Belong To Us meme
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489

The news that women prefer taller men is entirely academic to 99% of PB posters who are committed incels.

But makes the shorter feel a wee bit better. And the taller a damn sight worse!
  • Options

Random policy generator now in full effect. If Tory MPs cant see the damage this nonsense is doing to the nation first and their party second maybe it is time for them to leave the scene for good.
    And maybe the worst of all this is that most of them can see very clearly and they don't give a fuck.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,444
    carnforth said:

Wordle 378 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟨⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Just had a go for the first time in ages. Interesting word today.
  • Options

And maybe the worst of all this is that most of them can see very clearly and they don't give a fuck.
    Never underestimate the power of political inertia.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 143
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

"A 6-foot man earning $62,500 per year is, on average, as desirable as a similar 5'6" man who earns $237,500. In other words, those six inches of height are worth about $175,000 in salary on the dating market."

https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1542952695987830785?cxt=HHwWgoCw2arT1ekqAAAA

Women quite happy to specify they won't date men under 6ft in their dating profiles, but if I put "please don't be fat" in mine I'm a misogynist dinosaur...
    Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding this. And then you come to RACIAL dating preferences (a minefield)

OKCupid used to publish blog articles about their data, but they deleted them, because they said some very un-PC things indeed about people's dating preferences.

The data, unfortunately, doesn't lie, though you can delete it Google remembers these things forever.

Ultimately it's all a bit pointless.

People are into what they are into, men are always going to want the hot twenty something blonde with the big rack, women are always going to want to six foot tall guy with the bulging biceps/wallet.

The sexual marketplace is brutal because discrimination based on attractiveness is the last acceptable form of discrimination. After all, you can't force someone to date someone they aren't attracted to. So it creates winners and losers, male and female alike.

But pointing out the unfairness of the system isn't going to get you laid or make the system any fairer, which is where incels make their bloomer. Better off to pour their energies other things (money, career, fitness, excellence, etc) than turn into bitter husks wondering why women don't like them.
    Yes indeed. The racial preferences data make cruel reading for Asian men and black women, but are highly encouraging if you are a hot Japanese teen girl, or - to be frank - white

The world has internalised European beauty ideals and it may take centuries for them to be winnowed out, if ever. The preference for fair skin might even go deeper than that. Could be Darwinian. There are various theories, spoken of at the edge of polite scientific society
    Also great if you are a disgusting white slob like me who likes young black girls.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Regarding the Pandemic, had interesting experience last weekend. Ran into a small, young family - mom, dad & little girl - I used to see at local bakery about once a week. But the COVID put an end to that.

Now the little girl is 5 years old . . . and had no memory of knowing me, which is zero surprise really. Though back in the day, when she was all of 2, she was quite taken with me; in fact, she asked her mother if she could have a play date with me (the little girl NOT the mother!)

This time, she started off quite shy. Also rather bored at all the adult talking and no other kids. However, she thawed out pretty quickly, particularly when we asked her about her current activities - dance, summer camp, starting kindergarten this Fall.

When we parted at a neighborhood park, while she counted to ten, blindfolded, as her daddy concealed himself (as best he could) in game of hide and seek. Before she finished, she turned my way, lifted the blindfold and gave me a wave and a Mona Lisa smile goodbye.

Damn, I still got it.

At least with her generation. Now IF my natural magnetism can start doing its renewed magic with her MUCH older sisters . . . or rather great-aunts . . .
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Women quite happy to specify they won't date men under 6ft in their dating profiles, but if I put "please don't be fat" in mine I'm a misogynist dinosaur...
    Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding this. And then you come to RACIAL dating preferences (a minefield)

OKCupid used to publish blog articles about their data, but they deleted them, because they said some very un-PC things indeed about people's dating preferences.

The data, unfortunately, doesn't lie, though you can delete it Google remembers these things forever.

Ultimately it's all a bit pointless.

People are into what they are into, men are always going to want the hot twenty something blonde with the big rack, women are always going to want to six foot tall guy with the bulging biceps/wallet.

The sexual marketplace is brutal because discrimination based on attractiveness is the last acceptable form of discrimination. After all, you can't force someone to date someone they aren't attracted to. So it creates winners and losers, male and female alike.

But pointing out the unfairness of the system isn't going to get you laid or make the system any fairer, which is where incels make their bloomer. Better off to pour their energies other things (money, career, fitness, excellence, etc) than turn into bitter husks wondering why women don't like them.
    Yes indeed. The racial preferences data make cruel reading for Asian men and black women, but are highly encouraging if you are a hot Japanese teen girl, or - to be frank - white

The world has internalised European beauty ideals and it may take centuries for them to be winnowed out, if ever. The preference for fair skin might even go deeper than that. Could be Darwinian. There are various theories, spoken of at the edge of polite
    scientific society
    Also great if you are a disgusting white slob like me who likes young black girls.
    Are you a disgusting slob because you like “young black girls” or are the two things essentially disconnected?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,249
    edited July 2022

It's disgusting and the sort of thing that's driving me away from this site. He has, literally, advocated something out of a National Front leaflet, that white skin is more attractive for Darwinian reasons. He cloaks this in literary bollocks about 'the politer edges of society' but it's extreme right wing racism. And his lust for young teenage girls has another name. I've stayed off this site for a few days and I come back and see that kind of thing. Yuck yuck yuck.

Meanwhile, in news connected to what I had thought political betting is supposed to be about, the tories are in death throes. It reminds me a lot of 1992-7. They had their chance to remove the wicked clown and they bottled it. A heavy defeat is coming at the next General Election and they will spend at least a decade learning the meaning of arrogance and cowardice.

And with that I shall exit stage left for a while again. I've no desire to waste my life reading posts of a racist, derogatory, paedophile, or hate-filled nature.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Heathener said:

And with that I shall exit stage left for a while again. I've no desire to waste my life reading posts of a racist, derogatory, paedophile, or hate-filled nature.
    You know you can’t stay away! Almost every time I dip into this site there’s a post from you saying the same. Followed by another dozen unrelated posts in the next hour or two. By the way did the paedophile celebrating and racist posts get deleted? I just trawled through and couldn’t find them.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,249
    edited July 2022
    moonshine said:

Heathener said:

You know you can’t stay away! Almost every time I dip into this site there’s a post from you saying the same. [...]
    I've stayed away for 4 or 5 days and found my life improved.

So yes I can. Ta. But thanks for confirming why it's not worth bothering. The argumentativeness (viz. your post) is unnecessary and unhelpful for wellbeing. It wouldn't matter so much if it related to politics but much of the time it descends into personal attack, anger and hatred.

But still Boris Johnson clings on, so some things don't change.

Have a nice weekend everyone. Pride march today. #LGBQT+.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    Good, I hope it does some good.

Just spent a week in Cornwall, not in a short term let I hasten to add, and it does seem to be a real problem in some parts where properties are bought just to Airbnb them pricing out the locals.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: I think (bit sleepy) I mentioned my free bet on Hamilton to 'win' FP1 each way, which came off in a minor way (17).

Also, Perez, with boost, can be backed each way for the win at 19 on Ladbrokes, his odds having lengthened significantly. I think this is just too long.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Heathener said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

You know you can’t stay away! Almost every time I dip into this site there’s a post from you saying the same. [...]
    I've stayed away for 4 or 5 days and found my life improved.

So yes I can. Ta. But thanks for confirming why it's not worth bothering. The argumentativeness (viz. your post) is unnecessary and unhelpful for wellbeing. It wouldn't matter so much if it related to politics but much of the time it descends into personal attack, anger and hatred.

But still Boris Johnson clings on, so some things don't change.

Have a nice weekend everyone. Pride march today. #LGBQT+.

Arguing about politics, and the betting implications of that, is what this blog is about. Sometimes that means people will challenge what you're saying and debate with you.

It should never descend into personal attacks, and it says a lot if someone does play the man and not the ball, but I have seen you resort to them yourself on several occasions - usually directed at those you politically disagree with - and you can't dish it out and then cry foul when you feel you've received the same.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Heathener said:

It's disgusting and the sort of thing that's driving me away from this site. He has, literally, advocated something out of a National Front leaflet, that white skin is more attractive for Darwinian reasons. He cloaks this in literary bollocks about 'the politer edges of society' but it's extreme right wing racism. And his lust for young teenage girls has another name. I've stayed off this site for a few days and I come back and see that kind of thing. Yuck yuck yuck.

Meanwhile, in news connected to what I had thought political betting is supposed to be about, the tories are in death throes. It reminds me a lot of 1992-7. They had their chance to remove the wicked clown and they bottled it. A heavy defeat is coming at the next General Election and they will spend at least a decade learning the meaning of arrogance and cowardice.

This is what I mean about your posts. You first post in the morning, and your second line compares another poster to the NF. Unfairly, IMO.

Some posters say you get hassle on here, but perhaps, just perhaps, you just like a good argument?
  • Options

Heathener said:

This is what I mean about your posts. You first post in the morning, and your second line compares another poster to the NF. Unfairly, IMO.

Some posters say you get hassle on here, but perhaps, just perhaps, you just like a good argument?
    I'm not sure she does. She likes to fire off her prejudices about other posters based on what she thinks their politics are but can't handle the comeback.
  • Options
    In other news: spent a fair while last night driving around as a taxi for a friend and her son. He's been quite ill this week, and had to be taken into A&E. By sod's law, friend's only car broke down last week and is due to get fixed on Monday. Hence the Jessop Taxi service. Cheap prices, terrible bants. ;)

He was a bit better when they left, but he's still an ill child.

From my perspective: good work by the A&E department, who saw an ill child very quickly: they were still at the reception desk when his name was called in. And the waiting room was heaving.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Moray?
    South Wales Central*?

No. The next candidate on the list gets promoted.

I am 25 years old, I work for the Conservative Party, I won't vote Conservative while the current PM is in place because he's intent on fucking over everyone under 65, to try and secure his short term prospects at the long term cost of the death of the party.

There was a particularly apt description of young people voting Conservative I saw on Twitter - "an act of social charity for pensioners". I think it's basically correct. All I've gotten from them in 12 years is higher taxes, less affordable housing, and incompetent government. Why vote Tory? They're already doing all the stuff I'm worried Labour will do anyway.

Unfortunately they're not doing much of the stuff I hope Labour will do.

I feel for you if you're 25 - you'll probably find it hard to remember when we had a proper government, governing for the country rather than their cronies, keeping our international treaties, respected in the world, improving public services, improving real pay... that sort of thing. You were, after all, only 12 or 13 at the time.
    if they were only 25 they weren’t even born when Thatcher’s government fell in 1990. They’ll only have known governments like the one you describe even if by some biological fluke they can remember John Major.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050

Heathener said:

I'm not sure she does. She likes to fire off her prejudices about other posters based on what she thinks their politics are but can't handle the comeback.
    Yet, to be fair to her, at times she really contributes some good insightful comment and t thanks to her tip I backed the Lib Dems to take Woking council and they did.

There are a couple of deeply unpleasant people on here. She is not one. But she doesn’t help herself.

She seems to have a visceral dislike of Leon for some reason.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    Is there a way of deleting one’s PB account?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Holocaust denial seems to work.
    Huh?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Huh?
    You get the ban hammer for it.

Otherwise, I don’t know of any way of deleting your profile. Maybe try logging into Vanilla Forums, not the PB sub page, and see if there’s something there?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Yet, to be fair to her, at times she really contributes some good insightful comment and t thanks to her tip I backed the Lib Dems to take Woking council and they did.

There are a couple of deeply unpleasant people on here. She is not one. But she doesn’t help herself.

Perhaps she had a wonderful and fondly remembered stay at the George in Newent?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Huh?

Otherwise, I don’t know of any way of deleting your profile. Maybe try logging into Vanilla Forums, not the PB sub page, and see if there’s something there?
    That’s a good idea
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited July 2022
    Taz said:

Just spent a week in Cornwall, not in a short term let I hasten to add, and it does seem to be a real problem in some parts where properties are bought just to Airbnb them pricing out the locals.
    Yes, I agree - although this looks like stage one of what will be a long and slow process, that will probably drop into the hands of the government to follow.

Where I am some 20-25% of the properties are holiday lets and it does have an impact on both the local housing market and the commercial life of the town, especially out of season. Cornwall is worse, with some of the most picturesque locations almost devoid of genuine locals.

It is interesting having just returned from the Cinque Terre in Italy, which has similarly become a tourist hotspot with about half the accommodation now dedicated to tourists - but, for a variety of cultural and economic reasons - most of it has been retained by the local families, who run the tourist operation themselves. Whereas in Cornwall the locals who used to live in the fishing villages have sold up and moved 'up the hill' to some less attractive settlement inland, leaving the property owned by absentee owners who either use it as a second home and leave it empty for much of the year, or employ someone locally to manage their letting at a distance.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

Huh?

You have to ask rcs. There used to be a travel writer here, whose profile disappeared quite suddenly and has never been heard from since.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    edited July 2022
    deleted as scooped by the preceding post.
  • Options
    England opens doors to world’s best teachers
    - A new, fairer system for bringing best international teachers to England will be launched alongside support to help overseas teachers integrate into teaching.

The best teachers from across the world will be supported to work in schools in England from 2023,…

The 39 countries where qualified teachers are currently eligible for QTS are: countries in the EEA, Switzerland, the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/england-opens-doors-to-worlds-best-teachers

• Options
    Britain must pay EU £9.4bn this year as weak pound swells Brexit divorce bill

Payment comes amid Cabinet row over a deadline for getting rid of European laws within the next decade

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/01/britain-pay-eu-95bn-brexit-divorce-bill/ (£££)

Brexit rumbles on.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    Andy_JS said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 378 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟨⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Did it once at the beginning. Got it in 3. Realised it was probably the best I was going to do. Stopped.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2022
    I see Leon has entered the phase where he accuses the woke left of ignoring the cold hard facts of science that divide us by race, with some races superior to others whilst also decrying the woke left are trying to divide and split society by forcing us into categorisations.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Alistair said:

I see Leon has entered the phase where he accuses the woke left of ignoring the cold hard facts of science that divide us by race, with some races superior to others whilst also decrying the woke left are trying to divide and split society by forcing us into categorisations.

Has he? He merely posted some data about dating preferences.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I think this is the most protracted, and boring, flounce in the history of PB.
  • Options

- A new, fairer system for bringing best international teachers to England will be launched alongside support to help overseas teachers integrate into teaching.

The best teachers from across the world will be supported to work in schools in England from 2023,…

The 39 countries where qualified teachers are currently eligible for QTS are: countries in the EEA, Switzerland, the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Not just the best teachers, any teachers who can speak English. Though the linked press release is dated 10 June.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Why? We'd all miss The Seal.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Ha ha. You’re obviously a newbie. The PB flounce is a looong-established art form.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 378 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟨⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Did it once at the beginning. Got it in 3. Realised it was probably the best I was going to do. Stopped.
    Worldle came up with Montenegro this morning! Funny shape country; must be the mountains.

Lovely sunny morning here in North Essex. Mr J your taxi-ing someone to hospital will surely bring you a reward!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977

Alistair said:

It's like jazz. You have to listen to the notes they are not playing.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

It'd be a shame for people to do the same to your posts... ;)
  • Options

Heathener said:

Ha ha. You’re obviously a newbie. The PB flounce is a looong-established art form.

We haven't had a good one since Meeks; a classic of the genre. MrEd's was as weak as piss and we all know Heathener's will not endure.
  • Options

Not just the best teachers, any teachers who can speak English. Though the linked press release is dated 10 June.
    They're not really in a position to be choosy. Judging by the recruitment figures in October the requirement will be 'do you have a pulse?'
  • Options
    For some reason. YouTube has started recommending car restoration videos to me - the likes of Mat Armstrong and samcrac.

If I tried to restore a car, within five minutes it would be painted in my blood.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Rather oddly, tucked at the very bottom of yesterday’s Techne poll tables, there is this gem. Don’t believe it has been reported anywhere?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

UK:
    No 69%
    Yes 10%
    DK 21%
    (Sample size 1,632; 29-30 June)

Scotland:
    No 46%
    Yes 39%
    DK 15%
    (Oversample 374 cases
    Total sample 501 interviews;
    Margin of error + - 4,4%)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

It'd be a shame for people to do the same to your posts... ;)
    Ace isn't jazz. He's rock.

He proudly riffs on terms like "SMO".

No subtelty.
  • Options

For some reason. YouTube has started recommending car restoration videos to me - the likes of Mat Armstrong and samcrac.

If I tried to restore a car, within five minutes it would be painted in my blood.

Would that increase the value?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

She's met him?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

She's met him?
    Surely not? With Leon, millions of women are still waiting to meet him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

She's met him?
    Is she Caroline of Brunswick?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Would that increase the value?
    Knowing my luck, I'd sell it for half the price I paid for it, having spent double that restoring it, then find it's sold on again for twenty times the price as a piece of modern art: "Anguished tears of a numpty."

(I'm really bad with mechanisms)
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    By Election at Tamworth? Cons will hold, also do not think there will be a Lib Dem quiet campaign for Labour.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

She's met him?
    Is she Caroline of Brunswick?
    She was the one who *hadn't* met him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

She's met him?
    Posted without comment, other than there once was a writer on here (etc)...

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/775821.Millions_of_Women_Are_Waiting_to_Meet_You

The reviews are... fun.😀
  • Options
    Taz said:

If there are any media wankers on here then a reality TV show of Leon and Heathener touring leaver shit holes in a base model 1980 Austin Metro would be certain BAFTA material.

Episode 1 - Trimdon. Leon is stabbed in a chip shop for inquiring about the availability of fennel butter. Heathener refuses to staunch the wound.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited July 2022
    F1: put a little more on Perez, each way, to win at 19.

He's been top 2 at five of nine races so far.

Edited extra bit: not a dead cert, of course, but those odds make it very hedgeable.
  • Options
    theakes said:

By Election at Tamworth? Cons will hold, also do not think there will be a Lib Dem quiet campaign for Labour.

Labour have held it before, not that long ago.

And Pincher has been a very bad MP, and is not personally popular. Easy to imagine a better candidate might get a boost (if they can find one, but I happen to know one is available).

But the real significance of Tamworth is the electorate it represents. The not affluent but property owning, solid, manufacturing based, perhaps slightly unambitious but very dependable backbone of middle England. The Tories' safe heartland.

If the Tories were to lose it, they would have lost in the Red Wall (Wakefield) the commuter belt (Chesham) the rural blue wall (Tiverton and Oswestry) and the skilled working areas (Tamworth). At this point, you would begin to wonder what seats they *could* rely on.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

If there are any media wankers on here then a reality TV show of Leon and Heathener touring leaver shit holes in a base model 1980 Austin Metro would be certain BAFTA material.

Episode 1 - Trimdon. Leon is stabbed in a chip shop for inquiring about the availability of fennel butter. Heathener refuses to staunch the wound.
    For some reason I’m thinking Giles Coren and Jo Brand if made as drama.

Edit - I realise Coren is not an actor
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    New YouGov MRP: Tories set to lose 26 of their 64 their Con-Lib Dem battleground seats, including Dominic Raab and Jeremy Hunt's constituencies

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/07/02/conservatives-set-lose-26-their-64-lib-dem-battleg https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1543133517957275649/photo/1
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They're not really in a position to be choosy. Judging by the recruitment figures in October the requirement will be 'do you have a pulse?'
    Yes, that is basically the new requirement. For all the guff about "best" and "excellent" and "quality", we will take anyone from anywhere who is qualified (no experience necessary) and can speak English.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes, that is basically the new requirement. For all the guff about "best" and "excellent" and "quality", we will take anyone from anywhere who is qualified (no experience necessary) and can speak English.
    Looking ahead this is the template for other sectors, and I’m sure most people support it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited July 2022
    Taz said:

That's quite interesting. Is this another Gove thing? Being done for "Nigel Huddleston MP (who?)
    Minister for Sport, Tourism, Heritage and Civil Society" (Which I guess beats sub-sub-sub-Minister for Paperclips - just).

Learning some lessons from Wales, as they are perhaps learning some from Scotland wrt PRS regulation?
  • Options
    theakes said:

How is there going to be a by-election? Surely that would require "Cock" Pincher to resign and he doesn't seem like the resigning type.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    edited July 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

How is there going to be a by-election? Surely that would require "Cock" Pincher to resign and he doesn't seem like the resigning type.

BoZo can put him in the Lords instead
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280

NEW THREAD

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    ydoethur said:

theakes said:

And Pincher has been a very bad MP, and is not personally popular. Easy to imagine a better candidate might get a boost (if they can find one, but I happen to know one is available).

But the real significance of Tamworth is the electorate it represents. The not affluent but property owning, solid, manufacturing based, perhaps slightly unambitious but very dependable backbone of middle England. The Tories' safe heartland.

If the Tories were to lose it, they would have lost in the Red Wall (Wakefield) the commuter belt (Chesham) the rural blue wall (Tiverton and Oswestry) and the skilled working areas (Tamworth). At this point, you would begin to wonder what seats they *could* rely on.
    Without wishing to go all Epping, Chris Pincher has increased his vote-share at all of the
    recent elections I don't know Tamworth; I've only ever been there once, but it did seem the sort of seat that the modern Conservatives ought to hold!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

theakes said:

Without wishing to go all Epping, Chris Pincher has increased his vote-share at all of the
    recent elections I don't know Tamworth; I've only ever been there once, but it did seem the sort of seat that the modern Conservatives ought to hold!
    They've increased their vote share in I think every seat in Staffordshire in that time. That isn't unique to Tamworth.

I entirely agree they should hold it, if only because there's no real tradition of Liberal Democrat strength (unlike Lichfield) and Labour are more or less moribund. I was thinking more about the implications if they were to lose it.

But then, they should have held North Shropshire and didn't, and there wasn't a strong Lib Dem tradition there either.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Looking ahead this is the template for other sectors, and I’m sure most people support it.
    What, that we totally fuck everything up in key sectors so we have to get people from outside who don't know how bad things are in to cover?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354
    Scott_xP said:

Dura_Ace said:

BoZo can put him in the Lords instead
    He was as drunk as one, if the accounts are to be believed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

Rather oddly, tucked at the very bottom of yesterday’s Techne poll tables, there is this gem. Don’t believe it has been reported anywhere?

UK:
    No 69%
    Yes 10%
    DK 21%

Scotland:
    No 46%
    Yes 39%
    DK 15%
    (Oversample 374 cases

So the UK electorate backs the UK government's refusal to allow an official indyref2 even on that poll
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    HYUFD said:

UK:
    No 69%
    Yes 10%
    DK 21%

Scotland:
    No 46%
    Yes 39%
    DK 15%
    (Oversample 374 cases

So the UK electorate backs the UK government's refusal to allow an official indyref2 even on that poll
    You must be on tenterhooks waiting for the ConHome survey to tell you who the next politician you have to to offer your unwavering support to is.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,975

Heathener said:

Nah - she’s not going anywhere.

She’s the next incarnation of Leon - the mysticrose model - hence all the attention seeking references
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

She's met him?
    Posted without comment, other than there once was a writer on here (etc)...

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/775821.Millions_of_Women_Are_Waiting_to_Meet_You

The reviews are... fun.😀
    “I wouldn’t trust this man to protect me from a mosquito”

😂
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

theakes said:

Boris Johnson might go down in history… last leader of the Conservative Party…

This discussion has been closed.