Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tories drop to new low in Ipsos “fit to govern” tracker – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

If sick women have to die then that is well worth it to be truly pro-life.

Pb truly came up trumps for me today.

I was teaching A-level politics and shared the recent tweet I saw here: 'the Supreme Court believes life begins at conception and ends with a mass shooting.'

It did more to explain the fucked up nature of the Yankee judiciary than a hundred seminars.

And they all thought it was a brilliant summary!
    It's a good witticism. I'm not sure how useful it is as a summary, given that mass shootings (whilst strangely popular) are illegal in the USA.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Nigelb said:

Hutchinson’s testimony now corroborated by multiple Secret Service sources.

“Accounts align with significant parts of Hutchinson's testimony”

“He tried to lunge over the seat”

Tony Ornato should be worried about 18 USC 1001 for material omissions

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1542949219941638146

Looks as though the effort to smear her lasted about a day.

Any smears weren't to convince doubters, it was to provide cover for others.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,095
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

I was teaching A-level politics and shared the recent tweet I saw here: 'the Supreme Court believes life begins at conception and ends with a mass shooting.'

It did more to explain the fucked up nature of the Yankee judiciary than a hundred seminars.

The Supreme Court never said that, it merely allowed the states to set their own abortion policy, rather than impose abortion on demand US wide as Roe v Wade did
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

It's a good witticism. I'm not sure how useful it is as a summary, given that mass shootings (whilst strangely popular) are illegal in the USA.
    Useful to demonstrate the law of unintended (yet entirely foreseeable) consequences.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,387
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

The reality of Dobbs …

South Carolina:
    https://twitter.com/ABCNews4/status/1542931041723326466
    The state now asks abortion providers to send sheriff's offices reports of women who were impregnated by rape or incest and are trying to terminate the pregnancy

https://twitter.com/BeccaLizz/status/1542684741308145664
    https://twitter.com/BeccaLizz/status/1542684777693814784
    https://twitter.com/BeccaLizz/status/1542684795431534592

i’ve never had an abortion but my access to healthcare has changed because Roe was overturned.

I have #Lupus which is an inflammatory autoimmune disease that causes my immune system to attack my organs, joints, skin, and muscles.

i take #Methotrexate as one of my treatments

i received an email from my rheumatologist today that they are stopping all refills of methotrexate because it is considered an abortifacient.

Methotrexate is a form of chemotherapy. But in reduced quantities it can be taken long term to help with many autoimmune diseases.

Roe was overturned 6 days ago. in less than one week i lost access to healthcare that i need because the drug could be used to induce abortions.

it took 144 hours for me to have less safe healthcare because Roe was overturned.

Don’t tell me you’re pro-life.
    I read down the thread a little, and found that she lives in Virginia, where abortion remains legal, and was confused.

I read down the thread further, and found a Gofundme.
    Well, she says her rheumatologist has cut off her prescription. He may know even more about Virginia medical law than you do.

And your other point is? One source of funding is cut off, she looks for alternatives. Whereas you would....what?

Reeks of a scam

“i’m raising money to get help for my living space which will be even more necessary if my medicine is inaccessible to me.”

https://twitter.com/beccalizz/status/1542863687664402434?s=21&t=EP6tDrgP_PJUUToGHZqXLA

She expects people to just… give her cash? Really?

I suspect she’s exploiting genuine and justifiable outrage over the SCOTUS ugly Roe V Wade decision to try and make money. If you check her account she’s a somewhat bonkers obese Christian woman with strange obsessions, and a tendency to ask for hand outs

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Scott_xP said:

MP who walked in on Carrie and Boris Johnson in ‘compromising situation’ named https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-carrie-conor-burns-b2113988.html

Belfast man. Inured to sight of bunt objects being brandished & waved about, in less-than-savory ways.
  • Options

I reckon at least a third of the regular posters on here are “millionaires”.

Lucky bastards.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

MY favourite article of income disparity between young and old - years out of date now, the gap has since grown wider.

The important point is the graph in the article is income not assets.

https://www.ft.com/content/60d77d08-b20e-11e4-b380-00144feab7de

Median pay for 18 to 21 year olds however is now above that in 2008. Median pay for over 50s is below 2008

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8456/
    Average inflation-adjusted pay was lower in 2021 than in 2009.

That's where 12 years of Tory economic mismanagement gets you.
    It was higher in 2021 than in 2010 for all age groups bar 30-39 year olds
    Er... It was lower for 50-59 year olds too.

But aside from that, if you take the period 2010 - 2021 the overall increase in real pay was 1.2%. That's 0.11% real wage growth per annum.

By the time of the next GE inflation will of course eaten that away and the Tories will be going into the election with voters worse off than were when Labour were last in power.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

The Supreme Court never said that, it merely allowed the states to set their own abortion policy, rather than impose abortion on demand US wide as Roe v Wade did
    I find it utterly non-newsworthy. Different countries, and even parts of countries, have different laws concerning abortion. As a federal country with powerful states, this is not a surprising development for the US. Radio 2 had a PHONE IN about it the other day. An actual phone in, a 15 minute segment of asking people utterly unaffected by this law change in another country how they all felt about it. No wonder the more stupid amongst us are vandalising public art in response to American police brutality.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

...but not to set their own gun control policy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Has any democratic nation, in the democratic age, decided - “you know what, independence is shite, I think I’ll fold myself back into xxx”?

I can’t think of any.

Have I invented a new rule? A bit like the Amartya Sen’s realisation that democracies don’t have famines?

What about Scotland seeking the Act of Union in 1707?
    Scotland didn't actually seek the Act of Union (it was looking for a Free Trade Agreement in current parlance) but the parliament, initially sceptical, was "convinced" for reasons mostly different from what people today think they were.

The Act of Union happened because of an alignment of circumstances. It wouldn't have happened before 1703 or after 1710.
    Bollocks

England was rising to global supremacy, via the Empire and the Industrial Revolution. You think Scotland would have said Oh, we don’t want any of that?

Scotland would have joined at any time from 1700-1900

You do cough up some risible nonsense
    "industrial revolution"

Where do you think it was happening?

Staffordshire. Next
    HAve a look again. For instance, the Tranent and Cockenzie Waggonway.
    I’m sure some Scots had mastered the wheel by 1700 but that doesn’t alter the facts

England was a nascent superpower, with a puissant navy and a booming economy; if Scots had resisted union England would have invaded and conquered and enforced union, with an early form of The Tank, so as to close the back door to France. But probably it would never have come to that, as the canny Scots would have seen the benefits of uniting with such a rising power. And, indeed, Scots and Scotland did well out of the British Empire
    Certainly the English Caribbean slave and sugar economy was established by 1710, and Scotland wanted its share of that bonanza, hence the Darien scheme.
    OH, quite so. But so did much of Europe, not that that is any justification. And they didn't feel thje need for enosis with England.
    But what Scotland lacked in 1710 was not natural resources or skilled workers, but rather access to capital and trade routes.

Cromwells suppression of the Dutch meant that England had become the major trading power, at least in Protestant Europe. The nautical, sugar, and Indian trade had generated the capital markets and trade routes that were the opportunity for Scottish business. It was that convergence that created the Eighteenth Century convergence of Scottish and English interests.

Obviously things have moved on somewhat over the three centuries.

Capital was definitely an issue, but workers would have been an issue, too

Scotland’s population in 1700 was about 1m, England’s was about 5-6m

Scotland cannot naturally support a large population, it is too cold and wet and northerly (we see that even now). England is more fertile and can feed more people. It is that simple

Even if Scotland has managed to industrialise as fast as England and as powerfully, how would it have manned the factories?

It was never going to happen, some form of union with an ever-mightier England was inevitable. It is arguable that the peaceful union of 1707 was a lot better than some sanguinary English conquest 20-60 years down the line
    Slight problem with your logic.
    (a) massive Scottish investment in high farming during the 18th century = fewer farmworkers, more food
    (b) fewer people = fewer to feed

Crivvens, talk about missing the point

Factories in the 18th-19th centuries required huge amounts of manpower. Scotland simply did not possess that. There is a reason the Romans got as far as Hadrian’s Wall and then thought Fuck it, can’t be arsed (and that was in an age of kinder climates)

England as the naturally senior, older, greater power was always going to prevail in 1700. It casts no shame on Scotland to say it is perpetually destined to be inferior
    Romans got as far north as the Antonine Wall, actually.
    Further than that, they got as far as the Orkneys.
    Shetlands perhaps? Not sure.
    Agricola's fleet certainly mapped the far north of Scotland and he had a major victory at Mons Graupius, which was probably somewhere near Inverurie against the northern tribes.
    Well, the Romans claimed it as a victory, then retreated. A bit like Putin on Snake Island.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    The former deputy chief whip at the centre of groping allegations was suspended from the Conservative Party on Friday, after Downing Street admitted it was warned not to appoint him.

Chris Pincher had the whip removed following claims that he drunkenly groped two men at a private members’ club in London on Wednesday evening.

Number 10 is now braced for another by-election as pressure grows on Mr Pincher, the Tamworth MP, to stand down.

Last week, the Tories suffered a historic double by-election defeat, losing the Red Wall constituency of Wakefield and the safe seat of Tiverton and Honiton.

The Telegraph has learned that Steve Barclay, the Downing Street Chief of Staff, raised concerns about the appointment of Mr Pincher as deputy chief whip.

On Friday, a Number 10 spokesman admitted that “unsubstantiated” allegations about Mr Pincher had been received, but a source said: “Under HR law, you are not allowed to deny someone employment on the basis of rumour or speculation. The bar is quite high for you to deny them the job. You can’t just do it on hearsay.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/01/chris-pincher-suspended-conservative-party-groping-allegations/

I was speculating earlier on today would Pincher have passed an enhanced DBS or vetting.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,740
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

That though is indeed the effect of Dobbs.
    For example:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/29/texas-nurses-abortion-womens-health/
    … The Supreme Court decided in a 6-3 vote to undo a nearly half-century precedent that had affirmed access to abortion as a constitutional right. It will now be up to each state to determine their own abortion laws, and half of them are poised to ban or severely limit the procedure. Through a “trigger law” that goes into effect 30 days after the Supreme Court releases a formal judgment, Texas will soon ban all abortions from the moment of fertilization with narrow exceptions only to save the life of a pregnant patient or prevent “substantial impairment of major bodily function.”…

And Roe allowed states to determine their abortion policies - beyond the more or less absolute right in the first trimester.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

State laws on gun control vary significantly on gun permits, licenses required, background checks, assault weapons etc
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

MY favourite article of income disparity between young and old - years out of date now, the gap has since grown wider.

Median pay for 18 to 21 year olds however is now above that in 2008. Median pay for over 50s is below 2008

Alternatively its the toxic legacy of 12 years of Labour economic mismanagement by 2009 that had us living well outside of our means.
    Though given what happened, and has continued to happen, to asset prices since 2010, one has to ask "whose living and whose means?"

I'm meant to be on the "grow the cake and the questions about allocation become trivial" side. But these ain't normal times.
    A lot of people have 'grown' their cake by pinching someone else's.
  • Options

The former deputy chief whip at the centre of groping allegations was suspended from the Conservative Party on Friday, after Downing Street admitted it was warned not to appoint him.

Chris Pincher had the whip removed following claims that he drunkenly groped two men at a private members’ club in London on Wednesday evening.

Number 10 is now braced for another by-election as pressure grows on Mr Pincher, the Tamworth MP, to stand down.

Last week, the Tories suffered a historic double by-election defeat, losing the Red Wall constituency of Wakefield and the safe seat of Tiverton and Honiton.

The Telegraph has learned that Steve Barclay, the Downing Street Chief of Staff, raised concerns about the appointment of Mr Pincher as deputy chief whip.

On Friday, a Number 10 spokesman admitted that “unsubstantiated” allegations about Mr Pincher had been received, but a source said: “Under HR law, you are not allowed to deny someone employment on the basis of rumour or speculation. The bar is quite high for you to deny them the job. You can’t just do it on hearsay.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/01/chris-pincher-suspended-conservative-party-groping-allegations/

I was speculating earlier on today would Pincher have passed an enhanced DBS or vetting.

Evidently the members of the private members club preferred to keep their members private.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,781
    "Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

"A 6-foot man earning $62,500 per year is, on average, as desirable as a similar 5'6" man who earns $237,500. In other words, those six inches of height are worth about $175,000 in salary on the dating market."

https://amzn.to/3uddDRu"

https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1542952695987830785?cxt=HHwWgoCw2arT1ekqAAAA
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Wonder how many MP's would actually be able to present a clean Enhanced DBS?
    Probably most to be fair.
    Wonder why Parties don't ask for it as a requirement before selection? Would save a lot of bother down the line.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

For example:

… The Supreme Court decided in a 6-3 vote to undo a nearly half-century precedent that had affirmed access to abortion as a constitutional right. It will now be up to each state to determine their own abortion laws, and half of them are poised to ban or severely limit the procedure. Through a “trigger law” that goes into effect 30 days after the Supreme Court releases a formal judgment, Texas will soon ban all abortions from the moment of fertilization with narrow exceptions only to save the life of a pregnant patient or prevent “substantial impairment of major bodily function.”…

And Roe allowed states to determine their abortion policies - beyond the more or less absolute right in the first trimester.
    Roe required abortion on demand in every US state in the first trimester and allowed regulation but not prohibition of abortion in the second trimester.

Now states will have the right to decide whether to allow abortion or not in both first and second trimesters
  • Options

This No 10 statement is nonsense.

Ministerial jobs surely don't come under employment legislation, else every cabinet reshuffle (or change of government at an election) would need to go through a consultation process and risk a trip to the Employment Tribunal..
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

There seems only one possible option left - end the Conservative Party. Fold the tents, pack up and call it a day - you've had a good run, some very good spells of Government, others less distinguished and your service to the nation is appreciated.

But it's over - you're exhausted, bereft of ideas and embarrassing your once great legacy.

Put an end to it - abolish yourselves and let the country move on.

A new centre-right party will emerge with new, fresh ideas untainted by the legacy of the past - could be called Reform or United or perhaps take a more symbolic name like Forward! or Together or something like that.

It'll probably be popular in some circles, who knows?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

"A 6-foot man earning $62,500 per year is, on average, as desirable as a similar 5'6" man who earns $237,500. In other words, those six inches of height are worth about $175,000 in salary on the dating market."

https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1542952695987830785?cxt=HHwWgoCw2arT1ekqAAAA

Those aren't the most significant inches in the "dating market", my friend.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

But aside from that, if you take the period 2010 - 2021 the overall increase in real pay was 1.2%. That's 0.11% real wage growth per annum.

By the time of the next GE inflation will of course eaten that away and the Tories will be going into the election with voters worse off than were when Labour were last in power.
    So still an increase overall after 11 years of Tory rule
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Heart of the matter.

This decision has come about by an alliance of thoughtful (but very possibly naive) states-righters (how do you have state rights when you have airplanes?) and religious authoritarians. And between Catholic "life is really sacred" types and "life is sacred from conception to mass shooting (or execution)" right wingers.

Someone- probably a lot of someones- is about to be betrayed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Those aren't the most significant inches my friend.
    They are. Women are absolutely brutal about height

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Jesus.
    Vote for us cos the average of you is marginally, just about, not quite as poor as when we took over over a decade ago.
    Really?
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Are they?
    I'm average height. So get treated averagely on that score.
    Do they find guys of 6 feet 8 super hot? Or does it stop somewhere?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Speaking from personal experience, eh, shorty?

:lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Is that the best you can do?

12 years of Labour = 22% increase in real wages.

12 years of Tories = 1.2% increase in real wages.

See the difference?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

I find it utterly non-newsworthy. Different countries, and even parts of countries, have different laws concerning abortion. As a federal country with powerful states, this is not a surprising development for the US. Radio 2 had a PHONE IN about it the other day. An actual phone in, a 15 minute segment of asking people utterly unaffected by this law change in another country how they all felt about it. No wonder the more stupid amongst us are vandalising public art in response to American police brutality.
    +1
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Speaking from personal experience, eh, shorty?

:lol:
    @Leon's 7' 10" dontchya know.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I'm seldom lost for words or shocked but this little snippet has managed it

A former activist in the party’s youth wing said that Mr Pincher was known as “Uncle Monty” amongst young Tories - a reference to a predatory homosexual character in the cult film Withnail and I.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/01/disturbing-call-chris-pinchers-lurid-behaviour-forced-boris/
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Jesus.
    Vote for us cos the average of you is marginally, just about, not quite as poor as when we took over over a decade ago.
    Really?
    Truth is, they won't even be able to make that feeble claim by the time of the next GE.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Explains why I've never had a girlfriend. 😊
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Women quite happy to specify they won't date men under 6ft in their dating profiles, but if I put "please don't be fat" in mine I'm a misogynist dinosaur...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

See the difference?
    The PB Tories can’t even agree whether to take the credit or blame Brown. What a shower.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Are they?
    They are. I’ve read the literature on this. And the literature is getting better as dating websites give us incredibly accurate, undeniable detail of what the sexes actually want (not what they say they want)

Women like a guy that earns more than them, even if they themselves earn a lot (which paradoxically makes dating harder for successful career women). But way more than that, they want a guy who is noticeably taller than them, preferably 6 foot or near enough. It’s a basic evolutionary desire for male protection

And yes, I am sure this levels off north of 6 foot. A man just needs to be physically quite imposing and significantly taller than the woman. He doesn’t need to be a giant
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Women quite happy to specify they won't date men under 6ft in their dating profiles, but if I put "please don't be fat" in mine I'm a misogynist dinosaur...
    Don’t the profiles have pics?
    You can usually tell if some is…fat…can’t you?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

The average height is either 5'9 or 5'10 depending on which source you use. That's a lot of men being automatically rejected by dating sites.
  • Options
    The news that women prefer taller men is entirely academic to 99% of PB posters who are committed incels.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

See the difference?
    Besides, everyone now knows what's coming in years 13 and 14.

Don't they?
  • Options

The news that women prefer taller men is entirely academic to 99% of PB posters who are committed incels.

Thanks for that kind and gentle comment.
  • Options
    Who could have predicted this?

Well anyone with half a brain cell.

• Options
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

See the difference?

Don't they?
    *sick joke*
    Unwanted attention from Tory MPs?
    /sick joke
  • Options

A former activist in the party’s youth wing said that Mr Pincher was known as “Uncle Monty” amongst young Tories - a reference to a predatory homosexual character in the cult film Withnail and I.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/01/disturbing-call-chris-pinchers-lurid-behaviour-forced-boris/

See I don't get this. Is he out to himself?
    If so, why does he need to grope young men?There'd be plenty willingly up for it with an affluent, influential and not unattractive older guy.
    If he isn't, why is he so incongruent with his sexuality?
    If he's incongruent with that what else comes out under drink?
    Those are the relevant questions.
    Should add. I've been incongruent with myself. But I didn't enter politics.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Thanks for that kind and gentle comment.
    Not you, Andy_JS; the others.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

See the difference?

Don't they?
    *sick joke*
    Unwanted attention from Tory MPs?
    /sick joke
    If we're lucky, and they tip well...
  • Options
    Leon: would you say height or money is more important?
  • Options

The lockdowns made me an de facto incel.

God it was grim.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Don’t the profiles have pics?
    You can usually tell if some is…fat…can’t you?
    You can tell who is fat on online dating, because their pics will be of their face only. Guaranteed fatty, 100% of the time.
  • Options

I am 25 years old, I work for the Conservative Party, I won't vote Conservative while the current PM is in place because he's intent on fucking over everyone under 65, to try and secure his short term prospects at the long term cost of the death of the party.

There was a particularly apt description of young people voting Conservative I saw on Twitter - "an act of social charity for pensioners". I think it's basically correct. All I've gotten from them in 12 years is higher taxes, less affordable housing, and incompetent government. Why vote Tory? They're already doing all the stuff I'm worried Labour will do anyway.

If you work for the Conservative Party and won't vote Conservative you can be sacked, part of your contract will be to support and promote the party
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

I happen to think the cauliflower more beautiful than the rose.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

See the difference?
    Unemployment is also half the level Labour left in 2010
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

If so, why does he need to grope young men?There'd be plenty willingly up for it with an affluent, influential and not unattractive older guy.
    Using my gaydar, he's so buried in the closet he's having adventures in Narnia but when he gets the demon drink in him it all comes out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Are they?
    They are. I’ve read the literature on this. And the literature is getting better as dating websites give us incredibly accurate, undeniable detail of what the sexes actually want (not what they say they want)

Women like a guy that earns more than them, even if they themselves earn a lot (which paradoxically makes dating harder for successful career women). But way more than that, they want a guy who is noticeably taller than them, preferably 6 foot or near enough. It’s a basic evolutionary desire for male protection

And yes, I am sure this levels off north of 6 foot. A man just needs to be physically quite imposing and significantly taller than the woman. He doesn’t need to be a giant
    Discovered the other day that the woman being taller than the man is considered super hot in the femdom scene.
    Not summat I'd thought about.
    Life's tough if you're subby in the NBA.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding this. And then you come to RACIAL dating preferences (a minefield)

• Options
    edited July 2022

I am 25 years old, I work for the Conservative Party, I won't vote Conservative while the current PM is in place because he's intent on fucking over everyone under 65, to try and secure his short term prospects at the long term cost of the death of the party.

There was a particularly apt description of young people voting Conservative I saw on Twitter - "an act of social charity for pensioners". I think it's basically correct. All I've gotten from them in 12 years is higher taxes, less affordable housing, and incompetent government. Why vote Tory? They're already doing all the stuff I'm worried Labour will do anyway.

Unfortunately they're not doing much of the stuff I hope Labour will do.

I feel for you if you're 25 - you'll probably find it hard to remember when we had a proper government, governing for the country rather than their cronies, keeping our international treaties, respected in the world, improving public services, improving real pay... that sort of thing. You were, after all, only 12 or 13 at the time.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

If you work for the Conservative Party and won't vote Conservative you can be sacked, part of your contract will be to support and promote the party
    Fortunately you are still allowed to vote in UK elections in private (but don't give Priti Patel & Suella Braverman any ideas)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Are they?

Discovered the other day that the woman being taller than the man is considered super hot in the femdom scene.

North Birmingham Area?
    Sorry to hear. Perhaps you need to expand your femdom search to east of the Pennines.
  • Options

I happen to think the cauliflower more beautiful than the rose.
    It certainly tastes better in cheese sauce.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

Fortunately you are still allowed to vote in UK elections in private (but don't give Priti Patel any ideas)
    However if you have made a public statement you will not vote Tory and can be identified and you work for the Tories that is a sackable offence
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

For example:

Roe required abortion on demand in every US state in the first trimester and allowed regulation but not prohibition of abortion in the second trimester.

Now states will have the right to decide whether to allow abortion or not in both first and second trimesters
    What you mean is states will now have the legal right to force any pregnant women to carry a pregnancy to term against her will, including the victims of rape or incest.
  • Options

Young people today are better off than they've ever been before. They have no reason to complain about anything.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

Fortunately you are still allowed to vote in UK elections in private (but don't give Priti Patel any ideas)
    However if you have made a public statement you will not vote Tory and can be identified and you work for the Tories that is a sackable offence
    What happens if you publicly announce that you vote Plaid Cymru and repeatedly threaten to take Scotland with tanks?

Is that also a sackable offence?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I feel for you if you're 25 - you'll probably find it hard to remember when we had a proper government, governing for the country rather than their cronies, keeping our international treaties, respected in the world, improving public services, improving real pay... that sort of thing. You were, after all, only 12 or 13 at the time.
    It was also invading Iraq, taxing peoples' pensions, introducing tuition fees, making the poorest pay more tax, agreeing unlimited immigration from Eastern Europe without transition controls, leaving high unemployment and a big deficit in 2010 that sort of thing too
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Young people today are better off than they've ever been before. They have no reason to complain about anything.
    Absolutely true.
    Except according to all the economic data.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Using my gaydar, he's so buried in the closet he's having adventures in Narnia but when he gets the demon drink in him it all comes out.
    When is the by-election?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon: would you say height or money is more important?

Honestly?

When you’re young, height, for sure

But as everyone ages, and the women get more desperate and less picky - money

But also, personality comes to the fore. If you can make them laugh: that can be better than anything, especially in tough times

That’s the opinion of a solitary divorced traveller in Montenegro, FWIW
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

It was also invading Iraq, taxing peoples' pensions, introducing tuition fees, making the poorest pay more tax, agreeing unlimited immigration from Eastern Europe without transition controls, leaving high unemployment and a big deficit in 2010 that sort of thing too
    Yep.
    Bliss was it to be alive in comparison to this veritable shambles.
  • Options
    Debbie Harry's birthday today.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

An interesting fact about her is that she was already about 33 years old before she started to become famous with Blondie.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,105
    BoJo is also a honorary citizen of Odesa now!
    I know you many of you guys hate his guts, but he’s 100% the most popular foreign politician here in Ukraine.
    Many jokingly refer to him as “our glorious fellow Cossack Boris Johnsoniuk”

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1542992367728353280
  • Options

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

What happens if you publicly announce that you vote Plaid Cymru and repeatedly threaten to take Scotland with tanks?

I don't do any paid work for the Tories and I voted for every Tory candidate on the ballot paper in that election.

Taking as hard a line with the SNP as possible is fine, openly opposing the party is not
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

I'd like to see it tested at an Employment Tribunal.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding this. And then you come to RACIAL dating preferences (a minefield)

OKCupid used to publish blog articles about their data, but they deleted them, because they said some very un-PC things indeed about people's dating preferences.

The data, unfortunately, doesn't lie, though you can delete it Google remembers these things forever.

Ultimately it's all a bit pointless.

People are into what they are into, men are always going to want the hot twenty something blonde with the big rack, women are always going to want to six foot tall guy with the bulging biceps/wallet.

The sexual marketplace is brutal because discrimination based on attractiveness is the last acceptable form of discrimination. After all, you can't force someone to date someone they aren't attracted to. So it creates winners and losers, male and female alike.

But pointing out the unfairness of the system isn't going to get you laid or make the system any fairer, which is where incels make their bloomer. Better off to pour their energies other things (money, career, fitness, excellence, etc) than turn into bitter husks wondering why women don't like them.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Great spoof post - had me going for a moment there!
  • Options
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Are they?

North Birmingham Area?
    Sorry to hear. Perhaps you need to expand your femdom search to east of the Pennines.
    Nah. It's the accent.
    Prefer being told what to do in German.
  • Options
    Prof Alice Roberts💙
    @theAliceRoberts
    ·
    6h
    1 in 21 people now have COVID. And I'm one of them.

https://twitter.com/theAliceRoberts
  • Options
    "Ryanair chief warns fares will rise for 5 years because flying is ‘too cheap’

Low-cost pioneer O’Leary blames high oil prices and environmental charges for increases" [via google search]

https://www.ft.com/content/32108696-9ef5-49ad-8a07-fa30375702bf
  • Options

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

Your contract will include a commitment to support the party
  • Options

Prof Alice Roberts💙
    @theAliceRoberts
    ·
    6h
    1 in 21 people now have COVID. And I'm one of them.

https://twitter.com/theAliceRoberts

Got my dose out of the way last week - for once I was ahead of the curve.

Just completed the health questionnaire for a cruise we are joining this weekend.

"Have you tested positive for covid in the past 14 days" A: "No" (it was 15 days ago)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

But how will they prove you didn't?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

OKCupid used to publish blog articles about their data, but they deleted them, because they said some very un-PC things indeed about people's dating preferences.

The data, unfortunately, doesn't lie, though you can delete it Google remembers these things forever.

Ultimately it's all a bit pointless.

People are into what they are into, men are always going to want the hot twenty something blonde with the big rack, women are always going to want to six foot tall guy with the bulging biceps/wallet.

The sexual marketplace is brutal because discrimination based on attractiveness is the last acceptable form of discrimination. After all, you can't force someone to date someone they aren't attracted to. So it creates winners and losers, male and female alike.

But pointing out the unfairness of the system isn't going to get you laid or make the system any fairer, which is where incels make their bloomer. Better off to pour their energies other things (money, career, fitness, excellence, etc) than turn into bitter husks wondering why women don't like them.
    Yes indeed. The racial preferences data make cruel reading for Asian men and black women, but are highly encouraging if you are a hot Japanese teen girl, or - to be frank - white

The world has internalised European beauty ideals and it may take centuries for them to be winnowed out, if ever. The preference for fair skin might even go deeper than that. Could be Darwinian. There are various theories, spoken of at the edge of polite scientific society
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

An interesting fact about her is that she was already about 33 years old before she started to become famous with Blondie.

Bloody hell, she's 77!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yep. Incredible to think.

Could it happen these days?

Could CBGB exit now?

For what it is worth I think this generation's Harry is Ellie Rowsell from Wolf Alice.

• Options
    @kyf_100 i disagree.

I don’t really want to talk about my “sentimental” life - what am I, Leon? - but my takeaway is that the world is full of people with quite varied tastes…
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Bloody hell, she's 77!
    Yes. Too old to be a Boomer.
    Debut album at 31.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Bloody hell, she's 77!
    Looking not a day past 40 though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

As you have just made a public statement you won't be voting Tory
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

I don't do any paid work for the Tories and I voted for every Tory candidate on the ballot paper in that election.

Taking as hard a line with the SNP as possible is fine, openly opposing the party is not
    Invading Scotland with tanks is fine?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

"Rob Henderson
    @robkhenderson

Are they?

North Birmingham Area?
    Nah. It's the accent.
    Prefer being told what to do in German.
    That's a joke btw.
    Before anyone starts accusing me of discussing my sex life.
    Or expressing racial preferences.
    Though not convinced a Brummie domme would cut it even so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

Simple.
    All Tories tell the truth, of course.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,712

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

The reality of Dobbs …

South Carolina:
    https://twitter.com/ABCNews4/status/1542931041723326466
    The state now asks abortion providers to send sheriff's offices reports of women who were impregnated by rape or incest and are trying to terminate the pregnancy

https://twitter.com/BeccaLizz/status/1542684741308145664
    https://twitter.com/BeccaLizz/status/1542684777693814784
    https://twitter.com/BeccaLizz/status/1542684795431534592

i’ve never had an abortion but my access to healthcare has changed because Roe was overturned.

I have #Lupus which is an inflammatory autoimmune disease that causes my immune system to attack my organs, joints, skin, and muscles.

i take #Methotrexate as one of my treatments

i received an email from my rheumatologist today that they are stopping all refills of methotrexate because it is considered an abortifacient.

Methotrexate is a form of chemotherapy. But in reduced quantities it can be taken long term to help with many autoimmune diseases.

Roe was overturned 6 days ago. in less than one week i lost access to healthcare that i need because the drug could be used to induce abortions.

it took 144 hours for me to have less safe healthcare because Roe was overturned.

Don’t tell me you’re pro-life.
    That does not automatically follow, it is possible to allow Methotrexate specifically to treat autoimmune diseases but not to induce abortions
    The God you believe in induces plenty of abortions - He just calls them "miscarriages".
    Indeed. The vast majority of fertilisation events don’t make it through the first fortnight. Heaven is full of souls whose only experience is being a small blob of cells.
  • Options

@kyf_100 i disagree.

I don’t really want to talk about my “sentimental” life - what am I, Leon? - but my takeaway is that the world is full of people with quite varied tastes…

The OKCupid data on racial preferences (from 2009, so pre-Tinder):

https://archive.ph/kMP32

And their data on how women perceive male attractiveness vs how men perceive female attractiveness (hint: women are much more picky, and tend to rate all but the most attractive 10% of men as terminally unattractive), men are much more easygoing:

https://archive.ph/489UV

As I say, the data doesn't lie, though given the inevitable conclusions you have to draw from it, you can see why Woke World has memory holed it.

• Options
    Tories braced for by-election - Telegraph
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,031
    Last time i used a dating app (long ago now, like early match dot com days) some woman made me run an errand with her on our date. I find the whole thing stressful enough without being really annoyed into the bargain. Another one told me off for not following some weird protocol i wasnt even aware exists. Like a fucking teacher. I think she was a teacher actually, but a mumsy bossy one not one of those foxy strumpet ones.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Has any democratic nation, in the democratic age, decided - “you know what, independence is shite, I think I’ll fold myself back into xxx”?

I can’t think of any.

Have I invented a new rule? A bit like the Amartya Sen’s realisation that democracies don’t have famines?

What about Scotland seeking the Act of Union in 1707?
    Scotland didn't actually seek the Act of Union (it was looking for a Free Trade Agreement in current parlance) but the parliament, initially sceptical, was "convinced" for reasons mostly different from what people today think they were.

The Act of Union happened because of an alignment of circumstances. It wouldn't have happened before 1703 or after 1710.
    Bollocks

England was rising to global supremacy, via the Empire and the Industrial Revolution. You think Scotland would have said Oh, we don’t want any of that?

Scotland would have joined at any time from 1700-1900

You do cough up some risible nonsense
    "industrial revolution"

Where do you think it was happening?

Staffordshire. Next
    HAve a look again. For instance, the Tranent and Cockenzie Waggonway.
    I’m sure some Scots had mastered the wheel by 1700 but that doesn’t alter the facts

England was a nascent superpower, with a puissant navy and a booming economy; if Scots had resisted union England would have invaded and conquered and enforced union, with an early form of The Tank, so as to close the back door to France. But probably it would never have come to that, as the canny Scots would have seen the benefits of uniting with such a rising power. And, indeed, Scots and Scotland did well out of the British Empire
    Certainly the English Caribbean slave and sugar economy was established by 1710, and Scotland wanted its share of that bonanza, hence the Darien scheme.
    OH, quite so. But so did much of Europe, not that that is any justification. And they didn't feel thje need for enosis with England.
    But what Scotland lacked in 1710 was not natural resources or skilled workers, but rather access to capital and trade routes.

Cromwells suppression of the Dutch meant that England had become the major trading power, at least in Protestant Europe. The nautical, sugar, and Indian trade had generated the capital markets and trade routes that were the opportunity for Scottish business. It was that convergence that created the Eighteenth Century convergence of Scottish and English interests.

Obviously things have moved on somewhat over the three centuries.

Capital was definitely an issue, but workers would have been an issue, too

Scotland’s population in 1700 was about 1m, England’s was about 5-6m

Scotland cannot naturally support a large population, it is too cold and wet and northerly (we see that even now). England is more fertile and can feed more people. It is that simple

Even if Scotland has managed to industrialise as fast as England and as powerfully, how would it have manned the factories?

It was never going to happen, some form of union with an ever-mightier England was inevitable. It is arguable that the peaceful union of 1707 was a lot better than some sanguinary English conquest 20-60 years down the line
    Slight problem with your logic.
    (a) massive Scottish investment in high farming during the 18th century = fewer farmworkers, more food
    (b) fewer people = fewer to feed

Crivvens, talk about missing the point

Factories in the 18th-19th centuries required huge amounts of manpower. Scotland simply did not possess that. There is a reason the Romans got as far as Hadrian’s Wall and then thought Fuck it, can’t be arsed (and that was in an age of kinder climates)

England as the naturally senior, older, greater power was always going to prevail in 1700. It casts no shame on Scotland to say it is perpetually destined to be inferior
    Romans got as far north as the Antonine Wall, actually.
    Further than that, they got as far as the Orkneys.
    Shetlands perhaps? Not sure.
    Agricola's fleet certainly mapped the far north of Scotland and he had a major victory at Mons Graupius, which was probably somewhere near Inverurie against the northern tribes.
    I read that as Mons Gropius - and immediately thought of Donald Trump.....
  • Options
    Happy Canada Day everyone.
    Particularly to Dan Ackroyd and Pamela Anderson, famous Canadians born on Canada Day.
    In celebration, there was a shoot out at my erstwhile local Bank of Montreal which left 2 dead and six wounded. Happy days, eh?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Tories braced for by-election - Telegraph

Uxbridge and South Ruislip?
    Moray?
    South Wales Central*?

(*Do Senedd regions even hold by-elections?)
This discussion has been closed.