Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TheTories haven’t yet found a way of dealing with the LDs? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited July 2022 in General
imageTheTories haven’t yet found a way of dealing with the LDs? – politicalbetting.com

At the next general election which will happen in the next couple of years, the incumbent Tory Party will be facing two very different factions and this was seen in last week by-elections. There will be the straight battles with LAB to retain many of the seats won by the Tories in December 2019.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

The two most important decisions made in recent decades by the Supreme Court are the National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius (aka Obamacare) and the reversal of Roe. In both, the court chose to defer to elected legislatures; in both Chief Justice John Roberts was in the majority.

I see a consistency in his deference that others may not. I do think that any fair-minded person will find his long legal career impressive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roberts

(Incidentally, some analysts think that Obama could have done better politically by putting economic recovery ahead of Obamacare, rather than the other way around. He certainly could have done better, long term, had he been willing to listen to Republicans in his first months in office.)

I broadly agree with you.

While I think that abortion (up until a point, obviously) should be legal, I also think that it is the job of legislators to make that decision not members of the Supreme Court. And yes, I realise that will have some shitty consequences for women. But in total, that harm is less bad than allowing judges to make law.

That, of course, leads me to be very rude about the Supreme Court overturning New York's century old law on concealed carry permits.

It is far from clear to me - or to lawyers or Supreme Courts over the last 100 years - that the law was in any way in conflict with:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    On topic, I agree with OGH.

The central LibDem machine will be prepared to back perhaps 20 to 30 challengers with intensive effort. The goal will be to take the party from the 11 seats it won in 2019, to at least 20 and probably more like 30 seats.

Such a leap is possible, but far from easy.

There are just two non-Conservative seats in the top twenty LibDem targets: Dunbartonshire East and Sheffield Hallam. The former of those will be difficult because the SNP is polling meaningfully higher than in 2019, while the latter will no longer have the hangover from one of the worst MPs in recent memory.

That means that the top 20 real LibDem targets are all Conservative seats.

Now, sure, there are four with sub 1,000 vote majorities - Wimbledon, Carshalton & Wallington, Cheltenham, Winchester - at least three of which I'd expect to fall, but then their path gets harder.

By the time you get to seat 20 (Harrogate), you are up to an 8.5%/9,700 vote majority. Doable? Sure. But far from easy.

By the time you get to the 30th Conservative seat on the LDs radar, you're looking at majorities well in the five figures and 11-13% margins.

---

OK, now I've been a bit of a perma-bear on LibDem chances, but let's take a look at some of the seats, and let's ask the question:

What happens if the Conservative vote falls by a tenth, and the LibDems pick up half the Labour vote? That seems like an eminently reasonable assumption for 2024.

Well, that takes the LDs to 12 to 18 gains. They grab everything up to Hazel Groze (about ten gains), and then the path gets harder. Surrey South West, Sutton & Cheam, Wokingham... it all depends on the willingness of Labour supporters to vote tactically.

---

My forecasts for LD seats in each of the last three elections have been pretty accurate, although I thought it would be 12 to 14 seats in 2019, which was slightly high. For 2024 (and this is very much subject to change), I am going with 23 to 28 seats, with a slight bias to the higher end of the range. In other words, I expect the LDs to do very slightly better than they did when they were the Alliance or in 1992, but meaningfully worse than in the 1997-2010 period.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The two most important decisions made in recent decades by the Supreme Court are the National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius (aka Obamacare) and the reversal of Roe. In both, the court chose to defer to elected legislatures; in both Chief Justice John Roberts was in the majority.

I see a consistency in his deference that others may not. I do think that any fair-minded person will find his long legal career impressive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roberts

(Incidentally, some analysts think that Obama could have done better politically by putting economic recovery ahead of Obamacare, rather than the other way around. He certainly could have done better, long term, had he been willing to listen to Republicans in his first months in office.)

While I think that abortion (up until a point, obviously) should be legal, I also think that it is the job of legislators to make that decision not members of the Supreme Court. And yes, I realise that will have some shitty consequences for women. But in total, that harm is less bad than allowing judges to make law.

That, of course, leads me to be very rude about the Supreme Court overturning New York's century old law on concealed carry permits.

It is far from clear to me - or to lawyers or Supreme Courts over the last 100 years - that the law was in any way in conflict with:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Yes abortion should be decided at state level in the US, as should gay marriage and gun control. Just as the US SC also agreed the large expansion in Medicaid proposed by Obamacare should be up to the states.

Really in the US the Federal government should mainly be there for foreign policy and defence and Federal Crimes and Security and the tax to fund that
    From a technical perspective, gay marriage is harder.

If gay marriage is legal in Connecticut, and a married couple move to Utah where it is not, do spousal benefits continue?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,039
    At general elections however at least the Tories face a less concentrated and more spread LD machine. Whereas in by elections they throw everything at the seat up
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes abortion should be decided at state level in the US, as should gay marriage and gun control. Just as the US SC also agreed the large expansion in Medicaid proposed by Obamacare should be up to the states.

Really in the US the Federal government should mainly be there for foreign policy and defence and Federal Crimes and Security and the tax to fund that

If gay marriage is legal in Connecticut, and a married couple move to Utah where it is not, do spousal benefits continue?
    Maybe not but I doubt you would get any gay couples wanting to move from Connecticut to Utah, except to admire some clean cut young Mormons
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    edited June 2022
    @rcs1000

Thanks for doing the analysis that I couldn’t be bothered doing.

I should know the answer, but is there a website where you can tweak party shares to generate a 2019 re-run, one that specifically allows for progressive tactical voting?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry, Robert, but that is total rubbish.

The central tension in the US as a federal system is you need to allow states freedom to vary, but within limits in order to hang together as a unified nation.

If you have various differences in sales taxes, and education systems, then that's all fine, If you have marriages which are recognised in one state but not another, and have women literally fleeing one state for a medical procedure that is a CRIME in their own, it unravels badly.

And your attitude that it has "some shitty consequences for women" but, y'know, small price to pay, is quite frankly exteremely unpleasant and you need to take a long, hard bath with yourself.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Maybe not but I doubt you would get any gay couples wanting to move from Connecticut to Utah, except to admire some clean cut young Mormons
    Any?

Statistically in a country as big as the US, there will definitely be some gay married couples moving to Utah.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The central tension in the US as a federal system is you need to allow states freedom to vary, but within limits in order to hang together as a unified nation.

If you have various differences in sales taxes, and education systems, then that's all fine, If you have marriages which are recognised in one state but not another, and have women literally fleeing one state for a medical procedure that is a CRIME in their own, it unravels badly.

And your attitude that it has "some shitty consequences for women" but, y'know, small price to pay, is quite frankly exteremely unpleasant and you need to take a long, hard bath with yourself.
    I know it's shit.

But I also know that you don't tear down systems because you prefer a given outcome.

Otherwise you are little better than Trump.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

rcs1000 said:

Why? It respects state rights rather than trying to impose abortion and gay marriage on a state vehemently opposed to them or a ban on abortion and gay marriage in states strongly in favour of them with 1 uniform US wide position.

Here in the UK we also recently allowed NI to restrict abortion more than GB did and it still can limit abortion to 12 weeks on request. Several Australian and Canadian and Mexican states also have different laws on abortion
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    rcs1000 said:

The central LibDem machine will be prepared to back perhaps 20 to 30 challengers with intensive effort. The goal will be to take the party from the 11 seats it won in 2019, to at least 20 and probably more like 30 seats.

There are just two non-Conservative seats in the top twenty LibDem targets: Dunbartonshire East and Sheffield Hallam. The former of those will be difficult because the SNP is polling meaningfully higher than in 2019, while the latter will no longer have the hangover from one of the worst MPs in recent memory.

Now, sure, there are four with sub 1,000 vote majorities - Wimbledon, Carshalton & Wallington, Cheltenham, Winchester - at least three of which I'd expect to fall, but then their path gets harder.

By the time you get to seat 20 (Harrogate), you are up to an 8.5%/9,700 vote majority. Doable? Sure. But far from easy.

By the time you get to the 30th Conservative seat on the LDs radar, you're looking at majorities well in the five figures and 11-13% margins.

---

OK, now I've been a bit of a perma-bear on LibDem chances, but let's take a look at some of the seats, and let's ask the question:

What happens if the Conservative vote falls by a tenth, and the LibDems pick up half the Labour vote? That seems like an eminently reasonable assumption for 2024.

Well, that takes the LDs to 12 to 18 gains. They grab everything up to Hazel Groze (about ten gains), and then the path gets harder. Surrey South West, Sutton & Cheam, Wokingham... it all depends on the willingness of Labour supporters to vote tactically.

---

My forecasts for LD seats in each of the last three elections have been pretty accurate, although I thought it would be 12 to 14 seats in 2019, which was slightly high. For 2024 (and this is very much subject to change), I am going with 23 to 28 seats, with a slight bias to the higher end of the range. In other words, I expect the LDs to do very slightly better than they did when they were the Alliance or in 1992, but meaningfully worse than in the 1997-2010 period.

some sensible analysis and clear headed about the yellows... the problem they also face is that the Greens syphon just a few 00 or 000 votes and it becomes a bit trickier...thats not to say all Greens would normally vote Lab or LD but a few votes away to the Greens who are nibbling in certain areas makes it that bit harder... I know Caroline Lucas enjoys a good relationship with the LDs but they cant afford to allow the Greens hoover up their target votes.... only 6 months ago BJ was harping on about our lead on climate change.... how thats changed....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
    Judges have been making common law for centuries. That's a more insidious evil than forcing a woman to carry a fetus to term against her will?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited June 2022

rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
    Judges have been making common law for centuries. That's a more insidious evil than forcing a woman to carry a fetus to term against her will?
    What?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
    What?
    Sorry. Quoted the wrong block. But this was in response to....

" I also think that it is the job of legislators to make that decision not members of the Supreme Court. And yes, I realise that will have some shitty consequences for women. But in total, that harm is less bad than allowing judges to make law."
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,726
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

---

---

I think they could win around 30-35 seats because the swing in places with very large numbers of graduates like SW Surrey will be much higher than elsewhere. Hitchin & Harpenden is another example.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,691
    rcs1000 said:

If those were as simple as saying those are “the two most important decisions in decades”, then Jim might have a defensible argument, even if I don’t agree with it. It ignores the extraordinarily consequential decisions on campaign finance which Roberts crafted.
    Decisions which showed contempt for elected legislatures bipartisan efforts to limit the influence of big money in politics.

The only consistency I see in Roberts’ efforts is a determination to advance his conservative politics in a more subtle manner than his incendiary colleagues.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
    There’s the Oxford comma (excellent), and then the Framers’ comma (rendering sentences incomprehensible).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,064
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

If gay marriage is legal in Connecticut, and
    a married couple move to Utah where it is not, do spousal benefits continue?
    When there have been these muttering about prevention people leaving their home state (or helping someone to leave) for the purposes of procuring an abortion I always assumed that would break interstate commerce rules and therefore be up to Congress?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

If you think about it for a moment that is a really unpleasant post.

I’ll do you the courtesy of assuming it was unintentional
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,911
    Reading the overnight threads this weekend, it does seem that the Glastonbury festival managed to book pretty much every band in the world this year, after the two-year hiatus for the pandemic.

Did anyone manage to bag tickets to Headingley today? With England bringing some aggression back to Test cricket, it should be over by lunchtime though.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

When there have been these muttering about prevention people leaving their home state (or helping someone to leave) for the purposes of procuring an abortion I always assumed that would break interstate commerce rules and therefore be up to Congress?
    The personal right to interstate travel is an unenumerated right under current readings of the Constitution - which is why Kavanaugh felt it necessary to mention it in his concurrence.
    That the rest of the majority did not leaves some uncertainty as to how they would rule if it came before the court.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    edited June 2022
    Can we all at least agree that the key thing this SCOTUS shambles shows is that the US Constitution is a badly written disgrace that would be unfit to run a kleptocratic dictatorship?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,013
    edited June 2022
    Good morning everybody. Fine bright morning again; Mrs C and I will be arguing over the television today. Wimbledon or Headingley!
    Although as Mr Sandpit says it could all be over by lunchtime at Headingley! Personally I think 3 pm!

I suspect one interesting headline this morning is that in the Daily Mail about fraud.

Certainly the local Facebook page is full of comments about fraud on the elderly, but I wonder whether the most serious issue around UK fraud is that taking place in the City! I wonder if Ms Cyclefree will comment.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    ydoethur said:

Can we all at least agree that the key thing this SCOTUS shambles shows is that the US Constitution is a badly written disgrace that would be unfit to run a kleptocratic dictatorship?

Perhaps an unwritten constitution is better ... ;) (*)

Okay, so I jest. But written constitutions that can only be altered with extreme difficulty (as in the US at the moment) are not fit for purpose, and probably become less fit for purpose over time.

(*) Sorry, Ishmael. I know you don't like smileys, but that's your issue. Deal with it. ;)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Okay, so I jest. But written constitutions that can only be altered with extreme difficulty (as in the US at the moment) are not fit for purpose, and probably become less fit for purpose over time.

(*) Sorry, Ishmael. I know you don't like smileys, but that's your issue. Deal with it. ;)
    What's the matter with smileys? Add a bit of colour to the page!
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Good morning everybody. Fine bright morning again; Mrs C and I will be arguing over the television today. Wimbledon or Headingley!
    Although as Mr Sandpit says it could all be over by lunchtime at Headingley! Personally I think 3 pm!

I suspect one interesting headline this morning is that in the Daily Mail about fraud.

Certainly the local Facebook page is full of comments about fraud on the elderly, but I wonder whether the most serious issue around UK fraud is that taking place in the City! I wonder if Ms Cyclefree will comment.

It’s raining here.

We could combine the issues, and talk about the fraud committed by certain justices who claimed in their appointment hearings that Roe v Wade was ‘settled law’…
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,125
    Nigelb said:

Interesting article analysing a possible future for the US. Pessimistic, but not unpersuasive.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/06/red-and-blue-state-divide-is-growing-michael-podhorzer-newsletter/661377/
    … The increasing divergence—and antagonism—between the red nation and the blue nation is a defining characteristic of 21st-century America. That’s a reversal from the middle decades of the 20th century, when the basic trend was toward greater convergence.

One element of that convergence came through what legal scholars call the “rights revolution.” That was the succession of actions from Congress and the Supreme Court, mostly beginning in the 1960s, that strengthened the floor of nationwide rights and reduced the ability of states to curtail those rights. (Key moments in that revolution included the passage of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts and the Supreme Court decisions striking down state bans on contraception, interracial marriage, abortion, and, much later, prohibitions against same-sex intimate relations and marriage.)

Simultaneously, the regional differences were moderated by waves of national investment, including the New Deal spending on rural electrification, the Tennessee Valley Authority, agricultural price supports, and Social Security during the 1930s, and the Great Society programs that provided federal aid for K–12 schools and higher education, as well as Medicare and Medicaid.

The impact of these investments (as well as massive defense spending across both periods) on states that had historically spent little on public services and economic development helped steadily narrow the gap in per capita income between the states of the old Confederacy and the rest of the country from the 1930s until about 1980. That progress, though, stopped after 1980…

The Reagan era rolling back of post war social programmes and infrastructure spending started the rot. It is too far gone to reverse now, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Reading the overnight threads this weekend, it does seem that the Glastonbury festival managed to book pretty much every band in the world this year, after the two-year hiatus for the pandemic.

(Snip)

Including my cousin's band. From the piccies, it looks as though they enjoyed themselves.

I am not a Glasto-type person. It's not my sort of thing. But for the acts, it must be a real high to be on stage in front of so many people, even on the smaller stages, once any initial nerves have worn off.

Me? I'd probably be terrified all the way through.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It’s raining here.
    It was 41ºC at 8:30 here this morning, and it’s so humid that sunglasses steam up when you go from inside to outside.

I think I’d prefer rain.
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

Good question. But I think the best example of the abortion issue being decided at the local and regional level is here in the UK. I mean. just watching all sides in the Northern Ireland Assembly come together to resolve the issue was inspiring. No interference by the courts. No policy imposed down from on high by a national government. Just local legislators working together.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

According to one poster yesterday:

"A stupid post, as those which feature that dickless wink emoji invariably are."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The personal right to interstate travel is an unenumerated right under current readings of the Constitution - which is why Kavanaugh felt it necessary to mention it in his concurrence.
    That the rest of the majority did not leaves some uncertainty as to how they would rule if it came before the court.
    This has the potential to accelerate the process of rupture just as the equivalent Dred Scott ruling did in the case of slavery. Dred Scott effectively extended slavery in the free states, and banning interstate travel for abortion makes abortion illegal in the free states.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,464

ydoethur said:

Yes - that is the problem. The Framers believed in a Living Constitution. By this they meant continuously revised and amended, not continuously re-read to torture new meanings out of it.

As a side note, the French assembly is pushing to put through an amendment their their constitution protecting the right to abortion. This is not just virtue signalling - the Loony Right (which is generally anti-abortion, though Le Pen claimed that she no longer was anti…) could get to the level that they could block such a change, in the near future.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436

Fraud around PPE procurement and other Covid measures, which might implicate the government and donors to the Conservative Party, could also prove politically significant.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

"A stupid post, as those which feature that dickless wink emoji invariably are."
    Is this better? 🍆😉
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Is this better? 🍆😉
    He may prefer that. ;)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

There will, undoubtedly, be attempts to criminalise or create civil penalties for travelling between states for an abortion.

Perhaps one of those weird private bounty laws that the Republicans came up with would be of use - anyone interfering with the right to travel between states for an abortion can be sued for no less than $1 billion, by any private person, their expenses in the matter paid?

It would be fun to see the current court choking on such a law.
  • Options

Fraud around PPE procurement and other Covid measures, which might implicate the government and donors to the Conservative Party, could also prove politically significant.
    The Met, unless the new leadership is very different from the previous, doesn't seem to be likely to do much about that!
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

Including my cousin's band. From the piccies, it looks as though they enjoyed themselves.

I am not a Glasto-type person. It's not my sort of thing. But for the acts, it must be a real high to be on stage in front of so many people, even on the smaller stages, once any initial nerves have worn off.

I’ve never been either, but they did manage to get one hell of a line-up this year. Thankfully it didn’t rain too much. The possibility of the whole site ending up as a quagmire is what’s always put me off.

If you’re a performer, it’s almost certainly the biggest audience you’ll ever play to, even on the smaller stages there are tens of thousands watching. It must be pretty awesome to have that many people singing and dancing to your music.

They sold a record 200,000 tickets this year (at £280 a pop!), which makes it the largest ticketed event held in the UK for decades.

The largest ticketed sporting event in the UK is this coming weekend, as 160,000 decend on Silverstone for the Grand Prix. It was sold out more than six months ago.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The personal right to interstate travel
    is an unenumerated right under current readings of the Constitution - which is why Kavanaugh felt it necessary to mention it in his concurrence.
    I haven’t read the full concurrence. What did he say about it?
  • Options
    Just seen a photo of this new Russian general Putin has turned to and I agree with @malcolmg - there is no way somebody that obese weighs just 20 stone. 40 would be more like it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Just seen a photo of this new Russian general Putin has turned to and I agree with @malcolmg - there is no way somebody that obese weighs just 20 stone. 40 would be more like it.

This fellow?
    https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/obese-retired-russian-general-called-to-fight-in-ukraine-report/

Perhaps Russia have depleted their weapons reserves so much they're having to resort to using human cannonballs ....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

(Snip)

I’ve never been either, but they did manage to get one hell of a line-up this year. Thankfully it didn’t rain too much. The possibility of the whole site ending up as a quagmire is what’s always put me off.

If you’re a performer, it’s almost certainly the biggest audience you’ll ever play to, even on the smaller stages there are tens of thousands watching. It must be pretty awesome to have that many people singing and dancing to your music.

They sold a record 200,000 tickets this year (at £280 a pop!), which makes it the largest ticketed event held in the UK for decades.

The largest ticketed sporting event in the UK is this coming weekend, as 160,000 decend on Silverstone for the Grand Prix. It was sold out more than six months ago.
    Never been to Glastonbury either but Eldest Granddaughter went this year for the first time under the influence of her Beloved. Seems to have thoroughly enjoyed it although I wouldn't have thought it was her thing. She has worked at a couple of festivals, though, in the bars, when a student.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yup. Morbidly obese.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Way to pick someone who will stick out like a sore thumb on the battlefield front lines. He’ll have a target on his head from the minute he arrives in Ukraine.

I have to say, of all the reasons I thought that Russia might lose this war, running out of senior officers wasn’t one that crossed my mind! Yet they are suffering huge attrition of generals, as poor communications mean they are being stationed right at the front lines.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,048
    If Corbyn is Labour’s super-toxin, Johnson is the Tories’. In many ways he is the Conservatives’ own Corbyn. While at first glance the men have little in common, at a second they might be twins. Both lauded for their authenticity; both “establishment” critics whose heart lies in establishment Islington; both scruffs whose worker’s cap or woolly hat show them to be above the conventions that grey-suited colleagues follow. And just as Corbyn’s toxicity continues to infect Labour’s reputation, so Johnson’s will poison the Tory brand long after he has gone.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/like-corbyn-johnson-is-his-partys-super-toxin-rhgwmlmn5
  • Options
    Politically, the Mirror's front page lead on the shortage of NHS dentists might prove most significant.

There has an exodus of around 3,000 dentists since the last Covid lockdown, many saying a perverse payment structure leaves them carrying out some NHS treatments at a loss
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/patient-uses-pliers-pull-teeth-27332751

1. This provides a relatively cheap way of levelling-up, and might help save Tory red wall seats.
    2. Any problems with the payment structure can be easily and quickly fixed by The Saj.
    3. Medium-term fixes by subsidising new surgeries in areas of shortfall are relatively cheap.
    4. Long-term fix by increasing the number of dentistry students is also straightforward.
    5. There is also room for more private sector and even foreign investment although these might prove unnecessarily controversial.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I know it's shit.

But I also know that you don't tear down systems because you prefer a given outcome.

Otherwise you are little better than Trump.
    I explained on an earlier thread why that is NOT a correct interpretation of how liberal justices interpret the constitution. Indeed, it is an ignorant one.

Approaches based on originalism and based on a living constitution are both intellectually defensible, and both have certain flaws. Overall, however, it's interesting to see Amy Coney Barrett and Clarence Thomas apply a supposedly originalist approach to a document whose legal protections neither the drafters of the constitution nor people at the time considered extended fully to them. That's an incredibly difficult point for originalists, and one I've never seen adequately answered.

Ultimately, what you are doing is wringing your hands at what is inflicted on OTHER people on the basis of a totally misconceived, pseudo-intellectual view of what is right. You need to check yourself, and educate yourself.
    @SirNorfolkPassmore you overnight posts have been very informative, thanks.
    @rcs1000 just to add a small bit to the replies - there is a very significant difference between 'tearing down systems because you prefer a given outcome' and defending what was supposedly 'settled law' for half a century.
    In the necessarily messy business of legislating for a huge country like USA, Roe vs Wade was a practical compromise that worked reasonably well right up until the Supreme Court got very conservative under Trump. It might not have been the right legal ruling on intellectual grounds, but it sure was better than the alternative we have now, both in terms of women's rights and in tems of the governability of the USA.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
    What?

" I also think that it is the job of legislators to make that decision not members of the Supreme Court. And yes, I realise that will have some shitty consequences for women. But in total, that harm is less bad than allowing judges to make law."
    That's English common law stuffed then.
    Not really - the whole point of the common law is that judicial interpretation can be corrected via the legislative process if the legislature believes judges have got it wrong. But that principle hits the wall in a lot of US states because of systematic gerrymandering and voter suppression that ensure the rule of the minority over the majority. Funnily enough, the Supreme Court has absolutely no problem with it.

• Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

This has the potential to accelerate the process of rupture just as the equivalent Dred Scott ruling did in the case of slavery. Dred Scott effectively extended slavery in the free states, and banning interstate travel for abortion makes abortion illegal in the free states.
    That’s clearly not the case. It makes it less economic (possibly, although I suspect that interstate abortions were a small proportion and so are probably an economic upside). It might cause an issue for some clinics built on, say, the border between states with the intention of serving customers from a state where it is illegal.

But, in any event, I am sure that a pregnant woman wishing to travel can find a cathedral she wishes to visit in another state.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Such shit legal drafting
    What?

That's English common law stuffed then.
    The difference is that, in the U.K, judge made/interpreted law can be overridden by Parliament.

In the US, a tribe of old men consider the ancient tablets, then pull new laws out of their fundaments. These new laws are sacred and cannot be touched.

If they decide that everyone must hop on one leg, on pain of death, then that’s how it is. Unless you have about 75% of the population behind you and can directly amend the ancient tablets….
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,688

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Having thought about it, I cannot see why you consider this post to be unpleasant. Perhaps I am just too innocent, and perhaps you could enlighten me?

What I do find unpleasant is the way some posters here go in for bullying others.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes - that is the problem. The Framers believed in a Living Constitution. By this they meant continuously revised and amended, not continuously re-read to torture new meanings out of it.

As a side note, the French assembly is pushing to put through an amendment their their constitution protecting the right to abortion. This is not just virtue signalling - the Loony Right (which is generally anti-abortion, though Le Pen claimed that she no longer was anti…) could get to the level that they could block such a change, in the near future.

It’s that kind of behaviour that undermines constitutions.

My opponents are winning the argument. Therefore I will change the rule book to make sure that they have to do what I want anyway.

• Options
    Boris Johnson will delay a cabinet reshuffle until autumn after ministers warned him against destabilising his government further in the wake of last week’s two by-election defeats.

Tory MP tells The Times: “He has lost the plot. Hard to know how but feel sure he’ll be gone by year end or sooner. Opposition is spreading and deepening and is now likely to organise.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/513d4152-f595-11ec-ad14-7b04276f4c1f?shareToken=ef17175bf83609397d140fc4b14a85b8
  • Options
    One MP told The Telegraph that a flurry of no-confidence letters have been sent to Sir Graham Brady, the committee’s chairman, since the Prime Minister declared that he was looking to stay in post until the 2030s. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/26/joe-biden-block-boris-johnsons-answer-global-food-crisis/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Way to pick someone who will stick out like a sore thumb on the battlefield front lines. He’ll have a target on his head from the minute he arrives in Ukraine.

I have to say, of all the reasons I thought that Russia might lose this war, running out of senior officers wasn’t one that crossed my mind! Yet they are suffering huge attrition of generals, as poor communications mean they are being stationed right at the front lines.
    Bit of an improvement for the flunkies though - as long as they stand behind their man, they are safe from everything up to small nuclear weapons.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Good morning, everyone.

Glad it's rather cooler now.

Still think Perez 10 and Sainz 13 (10.5 and 14 with boost) each way to win are too long. The Mercedes being 11 each are too short.

Sainz has been 2nd three times this season, Perez four times plus a victory.

Neither Mercedes has finished in the top 2 so far, and that's even with poor reliability from Red Bull and Ferrari.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

There will, undoubtedly, be attempts to criminalise or create civil penalties for travelling between states for an abortion.

Perhaps one of those weird private bounty laws that the Republicans came up with would be of use - anyone interfering with the right to travel between states for an abortion can be sued for no less than $1 billion, by any private person, their expenses in the matter paid?

It would be fun to see the current court choking on such a law.
    AIUI the states who are going to war against women are doing so because it is god's will. Like any religious extremism they must stop people escaping to other places. So yes, why not try and prevent people leaving to have abortions? I read this morning that some businesses have said they will cover costs of women who need to travel - that will get banned as well.

So to go back to the question about a gay couple travelling to states that don't recognise their marriage, time for a simple truth: Scrapping Roe vs Wade was the end of America. There are now two countries within the former United States, we still have some sorting to do with regards to exactly where the boundaries lie and what you are permitted to do in the shitkicker states, but the country has split.

Whether this split goes further, or becomes permanent remains to be seen. But the simple truth for gay people or women who don't want to be forced to have their rape baby etc etc is that if you are in a shitkicker state its time to leave. The gay couple would be wise not to travel to these states at all ever. It is no longer safe to do so.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Of its time, no.
    Except for the massive flaw in the difficulty of amending it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One MP told The Telegraph that a flurry of no-confidence letters have been sent to Sir Graham Brady, the committee’s chairman, since the Prime Minister declared that he was looking to stay in post until the 2030s. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/26/joe-biden-block-boris-johnsons-answer-global-food-crisis/

It occurs to me that Boris actually *wants* to be binned.

He loses a no confidence vote. Then as they say in the West Wing “It is time for you to write your book now”. Think of all the Ex-PMs who seem much happier (and richer) now they are out of it.

For all we know, the result of the last vote had him wailing and gnashing teeth.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

That’s clearly not the case. It makes it less economic (possibly, although I suspect that interstate abortions were a small proportion and so are probably an economic upside). It might cause an issue for some clinics built on, say, the border between states with the intention of serving customers from a state where it is illegal.

But, in any event, I am sure that a pregnant woman wishing to travel can find a cathedral she wishes to visit in another state.
    For now. But if you listen to both the politicians in these shitkicker states and the people who vote for them, I can't see that freedom being allowed for long. These disgusting shameful women are breaking God's law. They can't be allowed to go and commit murder. If some of them still want to go then perhaps we can't trust women at all. Some kind of travel restriction once they are officially pregnant would be in order...
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Still think Perez 10 and Sainz 13 (10.5 and 14 with boost) each way to win are too long. The Mercedes being 11 each are too short.

Neither Mercedes has finished in the top 2 so far, and that's even with poor reliability from Red Bull and Ferrari.

I have a feeling that Mercedes might over-perform at Silverstone.

The issue with their car bouncing has been prominent at the temporary circuits, that have dominated the first half of the season. Their best race so far was in Barcelona, at one of only three permanent circuits we have seen in the first nine races.

They might not be ahead of the Ferrari and Red Bull, but they’ll definitely be a lot closer to them.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Having thought about it, I cannot see why you consider this post to be unpleasant.
    Perhaps I am just too innocent, and perhaps you could enlighten me?

What I do find unpleasant is the way some posters here go in for bullying others.
    The insinuation that gay men (I assume) have a particular “thing” for “clean cut young Mormons”.

Suggesting that (a) they are unusually superficial; (b) that they have a particular liking for young men; (c) that they don’ have the capability of a stable marriage with a life partner; and (d) that Utah is the sort of place that there is no other reason to go to except for male eye candy

It treads pretty close to a lot of attacks on gay men that are used by people who are intolerant of their life choices
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If Corbyn is Labour’s super-toxin, Johnson is the Tories’. In many ways he is the Conservatives’ own Corbyn. While at first glance the men have little in common, at a second they might be twins. Both lauded for their authenticity; both “establishment” critics whose heart lies in establishment Islington; both scruffs whose worker’s cap or woolly hat show them to be above the conventions that grey-suited colleagues follow. And just as Corbyn’s toxicity continues to infect Labour’s reputation, so Johnson’s will poison the Tory brand long after he has gone.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/like-corbyn-johnson-is-his-partys-super-toxin-rhgwmlmn5

A lazy analysis by the Times. It might have done better to compare Boris to Trump, or even to Tony Blair in that both Prime Ministers had a transactional relationship with their parties rather than being seen as true believers. Even there, Labour MPs in the late 1990s knew what they were getting, whereas many Conservative MPs seem not even to have read their own 2019 manifesto if they were surprised Boris believes in State action and investment.

Labour embraced Blair and New Labour, even while holding their noses, because he promised and delivered a return to power after two decades in the wilderness. The question increasingly troubling Conservative MPs is what is Boris for?

Boris has delivered what many backbenchers and even Cabinet ministers see as un-Conservative measures, not least high taxes, but for no electoral benefit as Tories lag in the polls. Turning the question round, they see no legislative benefit in the government's unpopularity as they might have seen when Mrs Thatcher trailed in the polls while reshaping Britain's economy. There is no electoral payoff for tolerating Boris, and there is no long-term transformational payoff for trailing in the polls.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

This has the potential to accelerate the process of rupture just as the equivalent Dred Scott ruling did in the case of slavery. Dred Scott effectively extended slavery in the freestates, and banning interstate travel for
    abortion makes abortion illegal in the free states.
    I don't think it's particularly likely - Roberts would quite likely side with Kavanaugh and the three sane justices - but it's not impossible.

• Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

For now. But if you listen to both the politicians in these shitkicker states and the people who vote for them, I can't see that freedom being allowed for long. These disgusting shameful women are breaking God's law. They can't be allowed to go and commit murder. If some of them still want to go then perhaps we can't trust women at all. Some kind of travel restriction once they are officially pregnant would be in order...
    So a female executive can not longer travel on business. That’s where interstate commerce comes into play.
  • Options
    On topic, much depends on what happens to the government. It seems increasingly likely that they get rid of the crook. As we have seen so often recently the real damage to Boris Johnson has not been the event (in this case the by-elections) but Johnson's response to the event.

So who will replace him? It is possible the party ends up with someone sensible and palatable. Mordant or Hunt, that kind of leader. Its also possible that they end up with a monster like Patel or Truss.

If the new leader is sensible, and stops the lunacy that has infested this government, the need that voters feel to remove them at any cost will dissipate. In which case the bigger extremes of tactical voting will go away and the LibDems will struggle to gain more than a dozen seats.

But think about Prime Minister Patel. Tactical voting continues, with ever sillier swings feeling possible. Remember that you don't need people to actively support the LibDems in places like Wokingham, only for them to feel tangible revulsion at the idea of John Redwood being re-elected.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

Scott_xP said:

A lazy analysis by the Times. It might have done better to compare Boris to Trump, or even to Tony Blair in that both Prime Ministers had a transactional relationship with their parties rather than being seen as true believers. Even there, Labour MPs in the late 1990s knew what they were getting, whereas many Conservative MPs seem not even to have read their own 2019 manifesto if they were surprised Boris believes in State action and investment.

Labour embraced Blair and New Labour, even while holding their noses, because he promised and delivered a return to power after two decades in the wilderness. The question increasingly troubling Conservative MPs is what is Boris for?

Boris has delivered what many backbenchers and even Cabinet ministers see as un-Conservative measures, not least high taxes, but for no electoral benefit as Tories lag in the polls. Turning the question round, they see no legislative benefit in the government's unpopularity as they might have seen when Mrs Thatcher trailed in the polls while reshaping Britain's economy. There is no electoral payoff for tolerating Boris, and there is no long-term transformational payoff for trailing in the polls.
    far better analysis than the Times and a great summary of where BJ and the Blues currently sit.
  • Options

A lazy analysis by the Times. It might have done better to compare Boris to Trump, or even to Tony Blair in that both Prime Ministers had a transactional relationship with their parties rather than being seen as true believers.

But that's the whole point of the article.

Middle England had long feared that the natural instincts of the Labour Party were anti-patriotic, anti-enterprise, anti-the common sense of the saloon bar and the suburb. Blair did superbly well at allaying those fears, but they were resurrected at a stroke when an IRA-sympathising, Nato-loathing, pro-Communist pacifist was made party leader.

There was always a hyper-alertness to Tory sleaze and lies — and then came Johnson, who has been remarkably productive at churning out stories of both sleaze and lies

The similarity is that BoZo and Jezza both precisely embody the worst fears of voters about their respective parties.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

ICYMI last night's McDonald & Dobbs episode concerned murder in a Formula 1 team. It can be downstreamed from ITV Hub on itv.com.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

So a female executive can not longer travel on business. That’s where interstate commerce comes into play.
    Which interferes with shitkicker states rights to enslave their womenfolk. Expect another SC ruling to throw cold water on their rights to travel if it is suspected that they are doing so to commit acts (brutal murder) which are illegal in the state they reside in.

I may sound over the top. But not in the context of what states are already doing. Gilead is forming.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Having thought about it, I cannot see why you consider this post to be unpleasant.

The insinuation that gay men (I assume) have a particular “thing” for “clean cut young Mormons”.

Suggesting that (a) they are unusually superficial; (b) that they have a particular liking for young men; (c) that they don’ have the capability of a stable marriage with a life partner; and (d) that Utah is the sort of place that there is no other reason to go to except for male eye candy

It treads pretty close to a lot of attacks on gay men that are used by people who are intolerant of their life choices
    Or it might have been a joke, even if in poor taste. It was more anti-Mormon than anti-gay, in suggesting the only reason to move to Utah is to admire the human scenery.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Of its time, no.
    As the number of States has increased, so has the difficulty of amending the Constitution.

It’s difficult to know if this is accidental or deliberate, as the framers were advocates of a smaller federal structure and more powers residing with the States themselves.

What has been noticable, until now, was the unwillingness of the politicians to even suggest amendments, or to pass legislation backing up SC judgements. Perhaps we will start to see this from Democrats, as the court is likely to disagree with their opinions of contentious issues.

Oh, and if you’re Stephen Breyer (aged 83), Sonia Sotomayor (68) or Elena Kagan (62), you’ve got six months to resign and see your successor appointed by Biden and a Democrat Senate. Don’t “Do an RBG”.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

He loses a no confidence vote. Then as they say in the West Wing “It is time for you to write your book now”. Think of all the Ex-PMs who seem much happier (and richer) now they are out of it.

For all we know, the result of the last vote had him wailing and gnashing teeth.
    He could fix that by resigning. As it happens, I believe Boris does intend to retire but probably had his 60th birthday in mind, like Harold Wilson. That will leave him a good decade to become seriously rich. Voluntary retirement rather than being voted out is better for brand-Boris so might need to be brought forward.
  • Options

I may sound over the top. But not in the context of what states are already doing. Gilead is forming.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,557

rcs1000 said:

Two questions need separating.

1) Should this be a matter for voters and legislators, not courts

2) How does your democracy operate.

The answer to (1) is yes - the SC is right. (And wrong about guns).

The answer to (2) is that it is a matters for USA voters.

As for sub-optimal outcomes, sadly what counts as this depends on where you start on the ethics of the matter and can't be assumed. Good people disagree on hard questions. A number of PB posters think there can only be one answer. That is not the case.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sandpit said:

Did anyone manage to bag tickets to Headingley today? With England bringing some aggression back to Test cricket, it should be over by lunchtime though.

They didn't get The Eagles. I had to go to Hyde Park last night for that.

Helluva night.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Scott_xP said:

A lazy analysis by the Times. It might have done better to compare Boris to Trump, or even to Tony Blair in that both Prime Ministers had a transactional relationship with their parties rather than being seen as true believers.

But that's the whole point of the article.

Middle England had long feared that the natural instincts of the Labour Party were anti-patriotic, anti-enterprise, anti-the common sense of the saloon bar and the suburb. Blair did superbly well at allaying those fears, but they were resurrected at a stroke when an IRA-sympathising, Nato-loathing, pro-Communist pacifist was made party leader.

There was always a hyper-alertness to Tory sleaze and lies — and then came Johnson, who has been remarkably productive at churning out stories of both sleaze and lies

The similarity is that BoZo and Jezza both precisely embody the worst fears of voters about their respective parties.
    Johnson’s complete disregard for the rule of law and Parliamentary democracy - and the Conservative party’s embrace of that - goes way beyond 1990s sleaze. In the same way, before Corbyn very few doubted Labour was a patriotic party. So both men not only amplified existing doubts, but have also created new ones.

• Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Which interferes with shitkicker states rights to enslave their womenfolk. Expect another SC ruling to throw cold water on their rights to travel if it is suspected that they are doing so to commit acts (brutal murder) which are illegal in the state they reside in.

Nah, you just sound over the top
  • Options

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Or it might have been a joke, even if in poor taste. It was more anti-Mormon than anti-gay, in suggesting the only reason to move to Utah is to admire the human scenery.
    I’m sure it was intended as a joke. Just crossed a line IMV
  • Options

Johnson’s complete disregard for the rule of law and Parliamentary democracy - and the Conservative party’s embrace of that - goes way beyond 1990s sleaze. In the same way, before Corbyn very few doubted Labour was a patriotic party. So both men not only amplified existing doubts, but have also created new ones.

Yes, the Tory Party embrace of BoZo while they thought it brought them electoral success is what hurts them long term
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Easy to say as a man from afar. Can only imagine how women and minorities feel in these states.
  • Options
    ICYMI FPT for pb history buffs.

Parliament is advertising an online history webinar thingy on 7th July (3 days after Trump announces his candidature?).

Monarchy and Parliament: A brief history

Join our expert guide as we explore the intertwined relationship between Parliament and the monarchy. Uncover the key moments that influenced a move from a sovereign-driven body to the Parliament of today, including the constitutional role played by Queen Elizabeth II during her 70-year reign so far.

Beginning with the origins of the first Parliament in the 13th century, discover how the power balance between monarch and Parliament impacted the country. Understand how the Tudors managed their legislative body, while the tensions between the House of Commons and Charles I led to the English Civil War, and eventually the creation of a constitutional monarchy.

This event lasts 45 minutes. At the end of the talk, 15 minutes are available for you to ask questions.

https://www.parliament.uk/visiting/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Of its time, no.
    As the number of States has increased, so has the difficulty of amending the Constitution.

It’s difficult to know if this is accidental or deliberate, as the framers were advocates of a smaller federal structure and more powers residing with the States themselves.

What has been noticable, until now, was the unwillingness of the politicians to even suggest amendments, or to pass legislation backing up SC judgements. Perhaps we will start to see this from Democrats, as the court is likely to disagree with their opinions of contentious issues.

Oh, and if you’re Stephen Breyer (aged 83), Sonia Sotomayor (68) or Elena Kagan (62), you’ve got six months to resign and see your successor appointed by Biden and a Democrat Senate. Don’t “Do an RBG”.
    Attempts to pass further amendments are not surprisingly seen as futile.

I've mentioned it often before, but consider the ERA. The text is about as simple and unexceptionable as possible:
    "ARTICLE —

"Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Sec. 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

"Sec. 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification."

It was passed by two thirds majority of both Houses, and supported by three presidents (of both parties).
    35 states voted to ratify it, but it is still not law, fifty years later.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

On topic, much depends on what happens to the government. It seems increasingly likely that they get rid of the crook. As we have seen so often recently the real damage to Boris Johnson has not been the event (in this case the by-elections) but Johnson's response to the event.

So who will replace him? It is possible the party ends up with someone sensible and palatable. Mordant or Hunt, that kind of leader. Its also possible that they end up with a monster like Patel or Truss.

If the new leader is sensible, and stops the lunacy that has infested this government, the need that voters feel to remove them at any cost will dissipate. In which case the bigger extremes of tactical voting will go away and the LibDems will struggle to gain more than a dozen seats.

But think about Prime Minister Patel. Tactical voting continues, with ever sillier swings feeling possible. Remember that you don't need people to actively support the LibDems in places like Wokingham, only for them to feel tangible revulsion at the idea of John Redwood being re-elected.

If the good people of Wokingham have not yet felt revulsion at voting for John Redwood, they never will. He's like a malicious version of Mr Spock who no doubt took great delight in pulling the wings off dragonflies when he was a child.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Of its time, no.

Weirdly, the 26th amendment (lowering the voting age to 18) was ratified by the states in four months back in 1971. Near the height of the Vietnam War turmoil, under the Nixon administration. So, it's possible, in theoty.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_xP said:

But we need to know they include numbers who have seen the light since the last VONC. He could receive 150 without it changing the outcome.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,303

Scott_xP said:

I doubt it. Politicians generally aren't the sort of people who like visibly losing, and this narcissist least of all. Winning is almost the point of it all for many of them, regardless of the rights and wrongs or whether it leaves the country better or worse.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330

Good morning

Very good post
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd say RP's post paints a bleak picture. But far from an unrealistic one.

A while back, someone posted a link to a PB discussion from 2016, when people were arguing about whether Trump's election would cause rights to be reversed. Many posters thought it did not.

And yet, due to Trump and the Republicans' work, rights are being reversed.

The question is when that reversal will stop.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

ICYMI last night's McDonald & Dobbs episode concerned murder in a Formula 1 team. It can be downstreamed from ITV Hub on itv.com.
    Watched it. I wouldn't bother to downstream it or recommend watching it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd say RP's post paints a bleak picture. But far from an unrealistic one.

A while back, someone posted a link to a PB discussion from 2016, when people were arguing about whether Trump's election would cause rights to be reversed. Many posters thought it did not.

And yet, due to Trump and the Republicans' work, rights are being reversed.

The question is when that reversal will stop.
    The really scary thought is President Trump 2024
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Of its time, no.

Weirdly, the 26th amendment (lowering the voting age to 18) was ratified by the states in four months back in 1971. Near the height of the Vietnam War turmoil, under the Nixon administration. So, it's possible, in theoty.
    It’s possible, so long as the issue at stake is something which has widespread support in the country.

Sadly, I have a feeling that if someone proposed an amendment today, which simply stated that the sun rises in the morning, half of the country’s politicians would disagree with it - based solely on which party made the proposal.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited June 2022

ydoethur said:

This fellow?
    https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/obese-retired-russian-general-called-to-fight-in-ukraine-report/

Perhaps Russia have depleted their weapons reserves so much they're having to resort to using human cannonballs ....
    Blimey. 20 stone, 20 schmone. Are we sure they've not accidentally printed a photo of a bloke who has just eaten a 20 stone general? Makes Nicholas Soames look like Kate Moss.
This discussion has been closed.