Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Interesting by-election stats from the Indy’s John Rentoul – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Absolutely disagree with the law change re Roe v Wade but could someone please give me an understanding of why it’s been the leading news story on BBC radio this evening?

It’s really not cool but the UK is not the US and I seriously don’t believe that if there was a change to abortion rules in any other country it would even be mentioned on Radio 2 news bulletins.

I get that the US has massive cultural reach/is past it and irrelevant so whilst bemused by the level of coverage over last few months on the Today programme I don’t see why it’s leading in a country that isn’t affected remotely by it.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think we aren't affected by it? We have plenty of American posters and many of us in the UK have connections with the USA.
    When you say “many” do you think that there are more people in the UK with close family connections with the US than with the EU and therefore if more UK/EU family connections then why do we not have the same level of coverage of changes and opinions over, say abortion, in EU countries on the BBC?

journalists are more comfortable covering
    stories in english
    That’s pretty damning for the BBC surely with the resources it has through the world service and being largely based in London - a multicultural hub of polyglots whom they can employ journalists with degrees from around the world to monitor and report on matters in our neighbours (apparently proximity is most important when it comes to the EU, but language is more important with US, or something).

The BBC even do a pidjin service so language can’t be the issue? Laziness, priorities maybe but RvW does not justify, again however much I disagree with it, the prominence it’s had on the BBC.

Which story do you think is of more importance today than Roe vs Wade being overturned by the way?
    Given that it didn't happen here and has no legal bearing on anything taking place here, someone losing their cat up a tree in Bury St Edmonds is a bigger story in the UK.
    'Aberdeen man drowns at sea'
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    dixiedean said:

"Ocean-going gaffe-rigged c*nt" is far too truthful and eloquent to be from a real Tory MP.
    Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Theresa May.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080

dixiedean said: "This SC judgement shows we are fundamentally European." But at the opposite end from Malta and Poland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Europe

Not forgetting the Vatican City, Andorra and Liechtenstein
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137
    Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Absolutely disagree with the law change re Roe v Wade but could someone please give me an understanding of why it’s been the leading news story on BBC radio this evening?

It’s really not cool but the UK is not the US and I seriously don’t believe that if there was a change to abortion rules in any other country it would even be mentioned on Radio 2 news bulletins.

I get that the US has massive cultural reach/is past it and irrelevant so whilst bemused by the level of coverage over last few months on the Today programme I don’t see why it’s leading in a country that isn’t affected remotely by it.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think we aren't affected by it? We have plenty of American posters and many of us in the UK have connections with the USA.
    When you say “many” do you think that there are more people in the UK with close family connections with the US than with the EU and therefore if more UK/EU family connections then why do we not have the same level of coverage of changes and opinions over, say abortion, in EU countries on the BBC?

stories in english
    That’s pretty damning for the BBC surely with the resources it has through the world service and being largely based in London - a multicultural hub of polyglots whom they can employ journalists with degrees from around the world to monitor and report on matters in our neighbours (apparently proximity is most important when it comes to the EU, but language is more important with US, or something).

The BBC even do a pidjin service so language can’t be the issue? Laziness, priorities maybe but RvW does not justify, again however much I disagree with it, the prominence it’s had on the BBC.

Which story do you think is of more importance today than Roe vs Wade being overturned by the way?
    For the UK, Johnson losing two by-elections in one night.

I guess you can argue that that news had been out there all morning and the SC decision broke in our afternoon, so the latter is more 'news', but I still don't think the Beeb can justify the first 14 mins of news at 10 on this decision with a quick canter afterwards on the rest of the day's events.

Another shite editorial decision which helps Johnson.
    Yes, Johnson by-election defeats feels more like olds than news to me now.

But Roe vs Wade going is genuinely a remember where you were moment, while Johnson has been losing by-elections every few months.
    Yes Roe v Wade could mark a 60 year turning point in the sexual revolution, it has been one way traffic until now ,no longer
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    HYUFD said:

Poland is in the EU and already has laws which make abortion mostly illegal. In Ireland abortion was also illegal until a few years ago. Most US States will also probably keep abortion legal despite today's judgement

America is a federal system and you can argue the balance between the federal administration and the states as much as you like. The Supreme Court has given the legal power back to the individual states and they can now decide with all that flows from it.

We aren't a federal country - I presume you wouldn't argue Surrey should have a different abortion policy to Essex or Newham to Bromley. The law applies to the whole of England equally on this issue and I presume you would support that concept.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    They're selling postcards of the hanging btw.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    dixiedean said:

"Ocean-going gaffe-rigged c*nt" is far too truthful and eloquent to be from a real Tory MP.

Sounds like Nicholas Soames to me. He's not my favourite MP but he does a good line in invective.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622

dixiedean said: "This SC judgement shows we are fundamentally European." But at the opposite end from Malta and Poland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Europe

Rather ironic that UK is fundamentally more "European" than number of countries currently in the EU.

And NOT just with respect to abortion. For example, Hungary re: Ukraine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not forgetting the Vatican City, Andorra and Liechtenstein
    Direction.of travel.
  • Options
    By the way I'm not opposed to 100 percent sexual freedom, I just don't think it's compatible with modern civilization sadly
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

dixiedean said:

Sounds like Nicholas Soames to me. He's not my favourite MP but he does a good line in invective.
    He's not an MP.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    edited June 2022

Cyclefree asked: "I have looked. I get that. How, though, does public opinion help when a law comes to the Supreme Court?"

What the Supreme Court decided was that the issue should not come to the court, but instead should be determined by legislators elected by the people. Or, even directly by the voters, as it was in Washington state, in Referendum 120. So now -- as it was not before this decision -- public opinion is crucial, just as it is in most Euroepan nations.

(In contrast, public opinion should not matter when in comes to freedom of speech in the United States, thanks to the 1st Amendment.)

Why, in contrast, should public opinion matter when it comes to women’s individual autonomy ?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Theresa May.
    :lol: Pleasing theory.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Matthew Goodwin's view on Wakefield:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Labour's swing of 12.7 is lower than I expected. After Partygate, after sh*tshow in No 10, after much negative coverage of Johnson in press, & sharpest cost of living crisis since 1970s, a Labour Party that has been in opposition for 12 years + now has new leader got 12.7 swing?
    12:09 PM · Jun 24, 2022·Twitter Web App"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1540291089545969665
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

They may well need to gamble. Doing nothing on the assumption nothing has changed is also a gamble.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

Given that it didn't happen here and has no legal bearing on anything taking place here, someone losing their cat up a tree in Bury St Edmonds is a bigger story in the UK.
    'Aberdeen man drowns at sea'
    Aberdeen man lost. And quite right too. And this is nothing like The Titanic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    micktrain said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

I guess you can argue that that news had been out there all morning and the SC decision broke in our afternoon, so the latter is more 'news', but I still don't think the Beeb can justify the first 14 mins of news at 10 on this decision with a quick canter afterwards on the rest of the day's events.

But Roe vs Wade going is genuinely a remember where you were moment, while Johnson has been losing by-elections every few months.
    Yes Roe v Wade could mark a 60 year turning point in the sexual revolution, it has been one way traffic until now ,no longer
    iirc the Trump appointees are all young - so they will be poisoning the SC decisions for the next two decades or more.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

They may well need to gamble. Doing nothing on the assumption nothing has changed is also a gamble.
    But does she have any vision will she make hard choices
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

I pretty much agree. Concentrate on British news.
    Andy_JS said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

I pretty much agree. Concentrate on
    British news.
    I wouldnt say the principal of highlighting significant US news is always going to be wrong, but it has always been disproportionate. It gives an impression issues must mirrored over hear and that's not always the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

He's not an MP.
    Well that blows that theory then.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Chucking someone untested with next to no experience into the one of the most difficult economic and geopolitical situations is a tad risky.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Kieron Clarke
    @kieronishere
    💥On Boris Johnson’s future as leader following today’s by-election results, one senior Tory MP described him to me as “an ocean going, gaff-rigged c*nt” …

😬 They added, “we can’t wait to kick his arse out of Downing Street before he brings the whole Conservative Party down”.

https://twitter.com/kieronishere/status/1540395307711832071

Every Tory MP is "senior"....
  • Options

micktrain said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

iirc the Trump appointees are all young - so they will be poisoning the SC decisions for the next two decades or more.

Yes it's Trumps ultimate revenge
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Of course they aren’t going to introduce “miscegenation laws”. And any American lawmaker that tried to introduce such a clearly repulsive law would be howled down and driven out of town, ASAFP

@SeaShantyIrish2 has a point. This site can lapse all too easily into anti-Americanism. It is not pretty. Yes America is having a brutal, intense and sometimes ugly debate about abortion - but this is a fundamental moral difficulty. Where does life begin? When do we begin to protect it? This is not a small matter, and they take it more seriously than us

Just because they are having this terrifically thorny debate does not mean that Americans - 99% of whom are decent kind honest people - are about to accept laws banning marriage between different races. It’s nuts

The Loving case which is the one which stated that bans on inter-racial marriage were unconstitutional is based on the same reasoning which the Court has today ruled is unconstitutional in relation to Roe v Wade.

You hope that someone would not seek to introduce such a law. But if they did, based on today's ruling you could not be confident that the Supreme Court would overrule it.

This is not a debate about abortion, fundamentally. Todays ruling effectively allows states to rule what people can and cannot do in their most private and intimate moments: who they can have sex with, what type of sex they can have and whether they can use contraception. It gives the state power over a person's body. And when the state does have that sort of power, when a person loses full autonomy over their own body and their most intimate activities, they lose full personhood. It chiefly affects women. But it goes beyond them as well.

I would also say this: @rcs1000 always says that people will make a democratic choice to have abortion. That may well be so. But if such laws are challenged and go to the Supreme Court can one be confident that they won't rule that abortion itself is unconstitutional and that states have no rights to make such laws? There is it seems to me a real risk that abortion could end up being unlawful throughout the US.

And if that happens other rights - gay rights for instance - are also at risk.
    No

Abortion is uniquely difficult because two fundamental rights clash

The right of the unborn child to life, and the right of the mother to control her body

Personally I think we do this terrible balancing act OK in the UK. But I respect those who have firm moral beliefs that life begins at conception, and that the law - in America - should reflect that. It’s a deep philosophical dilemma

There is no deep philosophical dilemma about “banning interracial marriages”. Such a law would be barbaric and repulsive and it would be rejected out of hand by American voters and lawmakers. It is daft to suggest that this is within the realms of the possible
    This is total wank, Leon, for the most part.

The difficult debate is how to balance the rights of a woman over her own body and the rights of the unborn child inside her in the event of her being unhappily pregnant and not wishing to continue with it. So, term limits, medical exceptions, doctor protocols, counselling etc. All of that.

To opt out of this, to instead say to hell with the woman, it's all about the foetus, be it 6 weeks or 6 days, conceived on purpose or by accident or force, regardless of whether the woman wants a baby or can afford it, regardless of whether she can be a good and loving and capable mother, to force her under threat of prison to carry it to term and give birth, this is - you said it - barbaric and repulsive.

What it certainly isn't is a morally or intellectually respectable conclusion to some "deep philosophical dilemma". I think you should brush up on your deep philosophical dilemma game if you think it is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

dixiedean said:

I dunno - easily sounds like something Boris himself could have come up with.
    Or someone with a naval background.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Rather ironic that UK is fundamentally more "European" than number of countries currently in the EU.

And NOT just with respect to abortion. For example, Hungary re: Ukraine.
    Well precisely.
    We are.western European. And someone thought it was a wonderful idea to open it all up to the rest.
    Then to bugger off.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

But does she have any vision will she make hard choices
    No idea. I'm not sure if she is the right gamble for them. I don't think vision and hard decisions are even always needed.

It's just that inertia can be risky too but is sometimes portrayed as a known option, automatically better than a new option.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,520
    Apropos of nothing at all, my personal highlights of Glasto Day 1 are Crowded House, Supergrass, Sleaford Mods, Idles and Sam Fender.

Watching Billie Eilish now - ok, not really my cup of tea.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I dunno - easily sounds like something Boris himself could have come up with.
    Or someone with a naval background.
    :lol:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Chucking someone untested with next to no experience into the one of the most difficult economic and geopolitical situations is a tad risky.
    Na, that was Johnson's argument for not having a leadership change. It's not as if there isn't a huge civil service to support new PMs.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Apropos of nothing at all, my personal highlights of Glasto Day 1 are Crowded House, Supergrass, Sleaford Mods, Idles and Sam Fender.

St Vincent, st etienne and now Primal Scream for me
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 791

CatMan said:

For all you BoJack Horseman fans:

While I appreciate the joke, the problem with arguments like this (that white men can't comment on abortion because they won't need to have abortions) is that it does nothing to address the main argument of anti-choice activists (that aborting a foetus is murdering a child). If you genuinely believe aborting a foetus is murder, it doesn't matter whether you'll personally benefit from the murder or not - it's still murder. The best route for pro-choice activists is to tackle the "murder" aspect of abortion by making the case that foetuses aren't children, rather than assuming their opponents are a bunch of pale, stale, male WASPs who will inevitably die out.
    One trouble with the US debate on abortion is how absolutely both sides hold their 'pro-life' and 'pro-choice' labels.

An overwhelming majority of abortions happen before 12 weeks (which is in practice more like 8 weeks as it's measured from the last period), a period during which a significant proportion of pregnancies end in miscarriage in any case. The foetus has no ability to live independently and is functionally still just a growing collection of cells as with any other animal foetus. No woman should be forced to continue to carry them to term.

On the other hand, aborting after 20-24 weeks (we can debate the exact line), other than for exceptional reasons such as health risks to the mother, feels very hard to justify. The foetus has a very good chance of living independently of the mother and so it is no longer reasonable for abortion to be a free choice.

I'm sure you can make arguments around drawing the line somewhere else as well. But everyone there is fighting at the extremes. I'm glad the UK has landed on a broadly sensible position that doesn't carry such political weight.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Biden really needs to take one for the team and step aside

That puts Harris in the driving seat.
    She also needs to take one for the team
    Harris will be primaried I suspect and will not win.

God knows who will come through the mix. Maybe Buttigieg but zero support in crucial black vote. Sherrod Brown might take another tilt? Klobucher?

I'm glad I have a couple of crazy quid on Michelle O because cometh the hour, cometh the Oprah favourite, especially now she is so angry about Wade decision.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

CatMan said:

For all you BoJack Horseman fans:

While I appreciate the joke, the problem with arguments like this (that white men can't comment on abortion because they won't need to have abortions) is that it does nothing to address the main argument of anti-choice activists (that aborting a foetus is murdering a child). If you genuinely believe aborting a foetus is murder, it doesn't matter whether you'll personally benefit from the murder or not - it's still murder. The best route for pro-choice activists is to tackle the "murder" aspect of abortion by making the case that foetuses aren't children, rather than assuming their opponents are a bunch of pale, stale, male WASPs who will inevitably die out.
    The thing is, trying to make the argument that a foetus isn't a child is a losing argument, so it's the wrong terrain on which to make the argument. Although we have a legal fiction for necessary reasons that life begins at birth, this clearly and obviously jars wit how people feel about foetuses, and the messy biological reality.

The argument that seems clearest to me is that a person has complete autonomy over their own body. No-one else has any right to the use of another person's body, whether that be a husband who wants to have sex with their wife, or a slave-owner who wants to direct another's labour - or, indeed, a foetus does not have the right to infringe on the bodily autonomy of its mother, if the mother no longer consents to her body being used in that way.

We have to trust that women will make the right choices for themselves and their bodies, even if we might think that sometimes those choices are wrong. The price of liberty is allowing people to make mistakes. I believe this sort of question comes up in Bible study when people wonder why an omnipotent God allows bad things to happen.

Where it is right to intervene to provide protection - to the foetus and the mother - is to ensure that a woman is never coerced into having an abortion. Personally, I would also find it repugnant if people felt that they were forced by their economic situation into having an abortion. And better access to contraception would make it less likely that people who didn't want to create a foetus would do so unintentionally.

I think that, personally, were I a woman I would find it very hard to have an abortion. I also know that I would feel better about deciding to keep an unexpected pregnancy if it was my choice to do so, rather than one forced upon me by law. The feeling of being trapped in that situation must be excruciating.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

America is generally top toeing towards civil war. As we have often discussed. This SCOTUS ruling is more of an obvious large step on that road

America is one of the two most important countries on earth, it is also the ultimate guarantor of Western freedom. If it is tearing itself apart that IS headline news elsewhere in the western world

I do fear this. One reason I'm so keen to see Russia defeated in Ukraine ASAP.
    Given the Russians are winning currently you could be waiting a long time
    How is their plan to tale Kyiv going?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Na, that was Johnson's argument for not having a leadership change. It's not as if there isn't a huge civil service to support new PMs.
    Nah, some meaningful experience of leading something significant is important at the best of times. This is not the best of times.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

America is generally top toeing towards civil war. As we have often discussed. This SCOTUS ruling is more of an obvious large step on that road

America is one of the two most important countries on earth, it is also the ultimate guarantor of Western freedom. If it is tearing itself apart that IS headline news elsewhere in the western world

Are they? They haven't even fully captured the Donbass, let alone Kyiv
    They've made some ground at high cost and advanced geo political objectives they oppose. I know some serm to hate the concept but pyrrhic does spring to mind.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Nah, some meaningful experience of leading something significant is important at the best of times. This is not the best of times.
    Some have greatness thrust upon them as Titania said to Malvolio.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree - May I recommend, as I did earlier, that you look at US public opinion on abortion, at, for example, the Gallup site. For example: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Please.

I have looked. I get that. How, though, does public opinion help when a law comes to the Supreme Court?
    Despite what recent decisions may seem to suggest - perhaps invalidating NY State gun restrictions even more than overturning RvW - public opinion most definitely has a strong impact on SCOTUS.

Always did & always will, history is replete with examples.

For example, both Plessy v Ferguson AND Brown v Board of Education.

Note that at time of former decision upholding "Jim Crow" laws enacted by Southern states, most White Americans were luke warm at best re: civil rights for Blacks, while majority of White Southerners was strongly opposed.

Fast-forwarding to latter decision overturning PvF and it's "Separate but Equal" doctrine/fantasy, there had been some softening (but not overmuch) among Southern Whites. Big change, however, was the attitudes of Whites in the rest of USA. Who were increasingly unwilling to ignore let alone tolerate the state of affairs down in Dixie. For number of reasons, including fact that Great Migration of early 20th century greatly increased number of Black people - and voters - in the North.
    You may well be right. Are you based in the US? But if abortion is generally popular with voters how does this fit with today's decision?
    Yes on US based, Seattle.

As for abortion, it is hardly popular with most voters, majority of pro-choicers esp. women being ambivalent, which is one reason for being so gung-ho about contraception and sex education.

And while a majority is broadly in favor of woman's right to choose, the number who feel strongly this way is considerably less. And is politically more-or-less balanced by voters are strongly anti-abortion.

PLUS factor in the fact that most voters whatever their views on the subject do NOT base their vote solely re: abortion, and for many it isn't much of a consideration at all. Instead, they vote for candidates of one party & persuasion or the other for OTHER reasons.

In recent years, abortion has actually been LESS of what we call a "wedge" issue, at same time that other issues & etc. have been eroding Democratic support in large parts of America, in a way NOT fully compensated by gains elsewhere.

This in turn has led to narrow (indeed minority) GOP presidential victories as well as Republican gains in key state races including Congress including US Senate. Gains that in the course of events (and chance) have led to a conservative majority on SCOTUS.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,520
    eek said:

Glad you’re enjoying it! Primal Scream are one of those bands that on paper I should love, but for some reason they don’t really float my boat.

Idles were immense.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

Revenge for what?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

The Tory voteshares of 30% and 38% were not far off national polling, it was tactical voting which did for them

I have been on PB half a year, and post is the biggest load of clueless spin I have yet seen posted.

Lib Dems lost their deposit when Tories won seat 47 to 40%. Yet you claim it was tactical voting what cost you the seat yesterday? In Wakefield no more than 1200 votes could have gone Lib Dem to Labour, in reality much less.
    You won’t reply because you can’t explain the unexplainable.

In Devon, what squeezing of the labour vote there was you claim made the difference in costing you the seat - it was the absolute tsunami of Tory to Lib Dem switchers what sunk you without trace in that seat.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

A good green for me.
    Me too. Long of her, Sunak, SKS, Raab as next PM. Flat all others. Played this one like a violin, smug city.

Lost on T&H though. Bet on the Cons at 5. Never even got a layback.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Suella Braverman thinks an electoral pact between the LibDems & Labour is dishonest

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1540334029257465856

Haha. I was waiting for the first idiot to complain about people ganging up on the Tories. Should have had her on the list, one of the more shameless ones.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

And ironically, he doesn't believe a bloody word of it all. He cares not a jot if young woman seek abortions. He's about as religious as next door's cat.

• Options
    Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

The Donbas will be a mess for generations, but the Ukranians are pretty effectively denazifying and neutering the Russian military. By the time this is over the Russian army will be as weak as a kitten, and finished as an offensive force for decades too. Very costly for Ukraine in blood and treasure but a service to the rest of the world.
  • Options

micktrain said:

micktrain said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

And ironically, he doesn't believe a bloody word of it all. He cares not a jot if young woman seek abortions. He's about as religious as next door's cat.

Very true
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The Tory voteshares of 30% and 38% were not far off national polling, it was tactical voting which did for them

I have been on PB half a year, and post is the biggest load of clueless spin I have yet seen posted.

Lib Dems lost their deposit when Tories won seat 47 to 40%. Yet you claim it was tactical voting what cost you the seat yesterday?

In Devon, what squeezing of the labour vote there was you claim made the difference in costing you the seat - it was the absolute tsunami of Tory to Lib Dem switchers what sunk you without trace in that seat.
    The farming community who voted for the Tories since time in memorial are now starting to understand how much Brexit has completely screwed their future.,

If you thing this was bad for the Tories wait and see what it looks like in a years time..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Poland is in the EU and already has laws which make abortion mostly illegal. In Ireland abortion was also illegal until a few years ago. Most US States will also probably keep abortion legal despite today's judgement

America is a federal system and you can argue the balance between the federal administration and the states as much as you like. The Supreme Court has given the legal power back to the individual states and they can now decide with all that flows from it.

We aren't a federal country - I presume you wouldn't argue Surrey should have a different abortion policy to Essex or Newham to Bromley. The law applies to the whole of England equally on this issue and I presume you would support that concept.
    We are a United Kingdom not a United States and I would remind you until recently the Northern Ireland part of the United Kingdom of GB and NI had a more restrictive abortion policy than GB did
  • Options

Foxy said:

God knows who will come through the mix. Maybe Buttigieg but zero support in crucial black vote. Sherrod Brown might take another tilt? Klobucher?

I'm glad I have a couple of crazy quid on Michelle O because cometh the hour, cometh the Oprah favourite, especially now she is so angry about Wade decision.

I almost wonder if Oprah might go for it on a needs must basis…
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Depends how bad the person at the top is. Every GE we might elect a party led by someone with next to no experience and there might be very difficult situations going on.

Cometh the hour and all that.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    kle4 said:

CatMan said:

Suella Braverman thinks an electoral pact between the LibDems & Labour is dishonest

Haha. I was waiting for the first idiot to complain about people ganging up on the Tories. Should have had her on the list, one of the more shameless ones.
    We're being bullied moans Cabinet member of an 76 seat majority government.
  • Options
    Great to see the Forest flag is still prominent at Glasto.....
  • Options

Foxy said:

Take a gander or two at Gretchen Whitmer.

Who is running for reelection as Governor of the Great Wolverine State of Michigan. And has been aided in her quest by fact that not just one but two of the most-credible GOP hopefuls were both kicked off the August primary ballot for submitting fraudulent voter signatures on required election petitions, thus failing to make the required threshold of valid sig.

Assuming she's victorious this Fall, as a re-elected chief exec of a large Midwestern state, Gov. Whitmer will be a VERY attractive potential POTUS candidate for many Democrats.

For one thing, the well-publicized Putinist plot to kidnap her - or worse - has given her a reputation for toughness and steadfastness that could prove a major plus, and not just with the Dems.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

The Donbas will be a mess for generations, but the Ukranians are pretty effectively denazifying and neutering the Russian military. By the time this is over the Russian army will be as weak as a kitten, and finished as an offensive force for decades too. Very costly for Ukraine in blood and treasure but a service to the rest of the world.
    By the time the war is over you might be able to get to see a GP foxy
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lib Dems lost their deposit when Tories won seat 47 to 40%. Yet you claim it was tactical voting what cost you the seat yesterday? In Wakefield no more than 1200 votes could have gone Lib Dem to Labour, in reality much less.

Moon needs to be on several more years.
    You are adored.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

A good green for me.
    Me too. Long of her, Sunak, SKS, Raab as next PM. Flat all others. Played this one like a violin, smug city.

Lost on T&H though. Bet on the Cons at 5. Never even got a layback.
    Raab is only paying out on next PM if you bet with a bookies who include caretaker PMs.

• Options
    micktrain said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

He can do that much sooner dude . . . provided he's got a mirror . . .
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

I almost wonder if Oprah might go for it on a needs must basis…
    Methinks Oprah Winfrey is well-past her sell-by date, would certainly need to re-invigorate her media profile.

However, sending a media marvel to do battle with another (arguably lesser) example DOES have some appeal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Depends how bad the person at the top is. Every GE we might elect a party led by someone with next to no experience and there might be very difficult situations going on.

The leader becoming pm at a general election has usually led a party for about five years. No one has become pm without experience in a great office of state or LotO for over a 100. Whilst the Tories might change that, it is undoubtedly a gamble.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Lib Dems lost their deposit when Tories won seat 47 to 40%. Yet you claim it was tactical voting what cost you the seat yesterday?

The farming community who voted for the Tories since time in memorial are now starting to understand how much Brexit has completely screwed their future.,

If you thing this was bad for the Tories wait and see what it looks like in a years time..
    Probably a lot of things to make the Tory’s in this seat both vote Lib Dem in big numbers and not vote in big numbers, imo the top reason is Boris, 2nd on list I think is anger at red wall getting the Whitehall money when their school buildings etc are just as dilapidated - an inherent vice of levelling up is Tory heartlands now feel taken for granted by the Tories angry at being second class when funding is given out, third I reckon is anger at cost of living protest vote in a not doing enough or quick enough kind of lashing out.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    micktrain said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

The longer it goes on the weaker the Russian army gets. NATO is getting great value for money out of its surplus weapons. The Russian Army has been useful for field testing, and its own weapons found to be grossly inferior. One of Russias main export earnings has been arms, but no one will want them anymore. They will want the good stuff. Another area of Russian inferiority has been exposed to the world.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

The Ukrainians have also pretty much destroyed the Russian arms export industry. As a middle-ranking dictator, you are not going to be buying their rubbish kit, even on great credit terms.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited June 2022

eek said:

Glad you’re enjoying it! Primal Scream are one of those bands that on paper I should love, but for some reason they don’t really float my boat.

Idles were immense.
    Griff, Wet Leg, Crowded House, First Aid Kit, Wolf Alice, Sigrid, Saint Etienne, Billie Eilish, Foals - this is by far the most Glasto I have ever watched. Looking forward to Haim, Macca, and Kacey Musgraves.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

I presume one of the consequences of the Supreme Court decision will be, as states line up with their various lines of abortion, we'll see a greater polarisation between the more socially conservative and more liberal states (and within states between more conservative rural areas and more liberal cities).

My very limited experience of this is it is much more nuanced - on the occasions Mrs Stodge and I have been in Las Vegas, for example, we have often encountered people from more socially conservative states who visit "Sin City" for the weekend. It was those people who took the more "relaxed" view of life in Nevada to its greatest extent - almost as though they were "free" for 48 hours before returning to conservative normality on Monday morning.

From our own experience, we had plenty of anecdotal evidence of young women from both the Republic and Ulster coming to England to take advantage of the abortion options here before the laws changed - it's a series of individual and family tragedies but all swept under the carpet in the name of what some considered religiously or morally unacceptable.

One thing is some States criminalise travelling for the purpose of having an abortion, so there is no escape. Not only are they forced to continue the pregnancy to birth, they have to pay for it too. No NHS maternity or neonatal care there.
    Shocking. I personally have no time for any "on the one hand, on the other hand" chinstroke on this. Controls around abortion, yes, but going back to banning it is to subjugate women in law as lesser status beings. Hard to believe, it really is.

But anyway ... nearly midnight and need to reduce BP or I won't sleep.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

The leader becoming pm at a general election has usually led a party for about five years. No one has become pm without experience in a great office of state or LotO for over a 100. Whilst the Tories might change that, it is undoubtedly a gamble.
    LOTO is really analogous to running a great office of state? I dont buy it. Leading a party is political preparation, but need not speak to any governance skill - enough poor PMs have shown that. We just include that precisely so that we can make an argument about experienced figures which isnt really applicable.
  • Options

eek said:

Idles were immense.
    Griff, Wet Leg, Crowded House, First Aid Kit, Wolf Alice, Saint Etienne, Billie Eilish, Foals - this is by far the most Glasto I have ever watched. Looking forward to Haim, Macca, and Kasey Musgraves.
    What's the G-bury weather like? (Believe this was PB topic of choice just before tipping?)

AND are any good skiffle bands (or tribute acts) on the bill?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

The longer it goes on the weaker the Russian army gets. NATO is getting great value for money out of its surplus weapons. The Russian Army has been useful for field testing, and its own weapons found to be grossly inferior. One of Russias main export earnings has been arms, but no one will want them anymore. They will want the good stuff. Another area of Russian inferiority has been exposed to the world.

Great we can ship the captured Russian soldiers over here and turn them into GPs Who knows they might do a better job
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Probably a lot of things to make the Tory’s in this seat both vote Lib Dem in big numbers and not vote in big numbers, imo the top reason is Boris, 2nd on list I think is anger at red wall getting the Whitehall money when their school buildings etc are just as dilapidated - an inherent vice of levelling up is Tory heartlands now feel taken for granted by the Tories angry at being second class when funding is given out, third I reckon is anger at cost of living protest vote in a not doing enough or quick enough kind of lashing out.
    The irony ‘of that is I’m sat in the Red Wall and I have to ask where is the money we were promised…
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

LOTO is really analogous to running a great office of state? I dont buy it. Leading a party is political preparation, but need not speak to any governance skill - enough poor PMs have shown that. We just include that precisely so that we can make an argument about experienced figures which isnt really applicable.
    LOTO is the hardest job in politics. Totally exposed, next to no support. Not sure why you can’t accept elevating someone with little experience is a gamble. Gambles can pay off, but there is undoubtedly risk.

Could Moudaunt command the respect and loyalty of ambitious people like Patel and Truss through difficult times? No one knows. It’s a gamble.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You are adored.
    The response of Boris cabinet, HY, and the Boris press are using this “it was tactical votes” fantasy so they don’t have to admit the truth. Unfortunately this utter gibberish is so transparently wrong a 2 year old cocker spaniel called giblets can recognise it for it is. She may need to use all four paws and it might take a while, but totting up the lab, Lib and green from last time minus Lab green this time, she will eventually realise it doesn’t get close to the new Lib Dem score - even if on reduced turnout every singe one of them still voted! The dear doggie would realise quite a few from the previous Tory vote must have voted Lib Dem this time.

It’s barking anyone could claim otherwise!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

LOTO is the hardest job in politics. Totally exposed, next to no support. Not sure why you can’t accept elevating someone with little experience is a gamble. Gambles can pay off, but there is undoubtedly risk.

Could Moudaunt command the respect and loyalty of ambitious people like Patel and Truss through difficult times? No one knows. It’s a gamble.

It's certainly a gamble
  • Options

kle4 said:

CatMan said:

We're being bullied moans Cabinet member of an 76 seat majority government.
    Plus member of BoJo "administration" is the LAST person entitled to complain of "dishonesty" in "anybody" else.

Including Bernie Madoff and the Great Train Robbers.
  • Options
    Personally, with the economic and geopolitical shit storms brewing the Tories need someone like Hague.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

The irony ‘of that is I’m sat in the Red Wall and I have to ask where is the money we were promised…
    The irony of ironies is the angry voters of Tiverton are sure you are getting it and not them!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Indian commerce secretary says they will complete an FTA with the UK by August 31.

https://twitter.com/CNBCTV18News/status/1540327940713349121
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You are adored.
    The response of Boris cabinet, HY, and the Boris press are using this “it was tactical votes” fantasy so they don’t have to admit the truth. Unfortunately this utter gibberish is so transparently wrong a 2 year old cocker spaniel called giblets can recognise it for it is. She may need to use all four paws and it might take a while, but totting up the lab, Lib and green from last time minus Lab green this time, she will eventually realise it doesn’t get close to the new Lib Dem score - even if on reduced turnout every singe one of them still voted! The dear doggie would realise quite a few from the previous Tory vote must have voted Lib Dem this time.

It’s barking anyone could claim otherwise!
    Conservative and Unionist Party is NOT renowned for numeracy at best of times.

As for these times, doubt if CUP's Fearless Leader can do much if any math, even with the aid of match-sticks.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

eek said:

Idles were immense.
    Griff, Wet Leg, Crowded House, First Aid Kit, Wolf Alice, Saint Etienne, Billie Eilish, Foals - this is by far the most Glasto I have ever watched. Looking forward to Haim, Macca, and Kasey Musgraves.
    What's the G-bury weather like? (Believe this was PB topic of choice just before tipping?)

AND are any good skiffle bands (or tribute acts) on the bill?
    Looks like another sharp but scattered downpour forecast again tomorrow. Could miss it, could catch a beaut.

Been satisfying today, got loads of clothes dry under scuttling clouds, not one raindrop here, but just across the river on the upslope, all the storms seeded and the north of the town copped perhaps a good half inch of rain judging by the radars and distant rumbles.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Trousered. By usual suspects. In this case (paraphrasing a former PM) by a lot of hard-faced cronies who look as if they have done well out of the Pandemic.
  • Options
    Why the heck is ANYONE in the BoJo Brigade bring up the by-elections in ANY way today?

Considering that Roe v. Wade repeal is distracting attention AWAY from yesterday's debacle.

More shit-for-brains strategic "thinking" by Big Dog and his pathetic pups.
  • Options

Indian commerce secretary says they will complete an FTA with the UK by August 31.

Somebody's throwing Big Dog a bone today when he can truly needs something nice to chew on.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Somebody's throwing Big Dog a bone today when he can truly needs something nice to chew on.
    You think he has such goodwill abroad that leaders from Kyiv to Delhi want to prop him up?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

That's not how the arms industry works. Whether the equipment is any good or not is a second order issue (Ajax). What matters much more is strategic alliances secured thereby, industrial offsets and straightforward bribery.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, although being very pedantic, it's "time immemorial" rather than "time in memorial".

Also "time immemorial" refers to a time which is not reliably recorded. Political history is pretty well recorded, so it's a bit of a stretch to say farmers have voted Tory since time immemorial. It's pretty well recorded that they weren't huge fans of Conservative PM, Sir Robert Peel, albeit that's an odd one as he split his party on the Corn Laws. But also the Conservative Party and predecessor Tory Party haven't existed since time immemorial.

Legally, "time immemorial" is very specifically defined as since at least 1189 under the Statute of Westminster in 1275. But that's only for very specific purposes. In general use, you'd say "oh, my family have been farmers in Devon since time immemorial", you are saying it's been so long that nobody really knows when and the circumstances in which it all started.
  • Options

You think he has such goodwill abroad that leaders from Kyiv to Delhi want to prop him up?
    Indian FTA will involve more free movement of Indians with visas to UK I suspect.

Farage on standby.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Personally, with the economic and geopolitical shit storms brewing the Tories need someone like Hague.

He's not even on BF's list.

Otherwise I would stick a couple of quid on.
  • Options

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    1h
    61% of Americans support codifying Roe v. Wade into law.

But thanks to the filibuster, 41 Senate Republicans representing just 21% of the country can block it.

This is not how democracy is supposed to work.

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1540452703595139072
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Dura_Ace said:

That's not how the arms industry works. Whether the equipment is any good or not is a second order issue (Ajax). What matters much more is strategic alliances secured thereby, industrial offsets and straightforward bribery.

Lol

In a time of peace, perhaps.

If there is ever major war, priorities would quickly get reevaluated.
  • Options
    AOC rages against the SC decision in the House, but cannot bring herself to say "pregnant woman" rather than "pregnant people".

• Options
    Trump worried that this SC vote fucks up his chances with suburban women, a key swing group for 2024, reporting NY Times.

Isn't it ironic...

• Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 786

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    1h
    61% of Americans support codifying Roe v. Wade into law.

But thanks to the filibuster, 41 Senate Republicans representing just 21% of the country can block it.

This is not how democracy is supposed to work.

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1540452703595139072

The thing is, if 61% of the electorate consistently voted Democrat in the Generals and in the mid-terms, then the Dems would have the numbers. But they don't, unfortunately.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

He's not even on BF's list.

Otherwise I would stick a couple of quid on.
    If you feel you have too much money and want to just toss away a couple of quid, then may I suggest you stick it in the RNLI collection box or something?

He's not an MP and shows no interest in becoming one even if, by some magic, the opportunity arose.
  • Options

Indian FTA will involve more free movement of Indians with visas to UK I suspect.

Farage on standby.

The older I get, the more I suspect that I'm not into the EU per se, but I think I just like political unions. I think the EU is great, but I'd take CANZUK as a consolation. I'd also be keen for free movement with India. The idea of having the opportunity to live in India sounds pretty cool.

The way I see it, the world is forming into big blocs. The USA, China and even Russia are lucky enough to be nation states and big blocs at the same time. The rest must either form part of a bloc or be left behind. In my opinion the future is continent-sized polities. As a good patriot, I thin we need to be part of one, or accept irrelevance.
  • Options

Putinists DO like helping each other out, as you may have noticed.

Zelensky's motives are obvious: national preservation.

And Modi can easily overlook UK aiding UKR, no skin off his nose, indeed helps give him leverage with both BoJo and Mad Vlad.

Timing of today's announcement from New Delhi a small but no doubt appreciated good-will gesture for a belegered fellow Putinist.

They DO like helping each other out whenever possible. Which is not always, of course. But plenty enough.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Farage on standby.

The older I get, the more I suspect that I'm not into the EU per se, but I think I just like political unions. I think the EU is great, but I'd take CANZUK as a consolation. I'd also be keen for free movement with India. The idea of having the opportunity to live in India sounds pretty cool.

The way I see it, the world is forming into big blocs. The USA, China and even Russia are lucky enough to be nation states and big blocs at the same time. The rest must either form part of a bloc or be left behind. In my opinion the future is continent-sized polities. As a good patriot, I thin we need to be part of one, or accept irrelevance.
    Self governing irrelevance is fine for me thanks; the idea that power should be focused so far from the people simply so we can be 'lucky' enough to be a 'big bloc' is pretty lacking in value to say the least.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Farage on standby.

Self governing irrelevance is fine for me thanks; the idea that power should be focused so far from the people simply so we can be 'lucky' enough to be a 'big bloc' is pretty lacking in value to say the least.
    The big blocs of my imagination would have democratic accountability. There have been a number of attempts to reform the EU in this direction, all been scuppered. I presuppose that the successful blocs have democratic accountability. Indeed, I believe that is what has made the US so successful.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    "The informal Labour-Lib Dem alliance could doom the Tories
    If the unspoken pact between the parties holds at a general election, the Conservatives face dramatic losses.

By Philip Collins" (£)

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2022/06/the-informal-labour-lib-dem-alliance-could-doom-the-tories
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    Labour’s Angela Rayner brings a splash of champagne socialism to Glyndebourne
    While trade unionists were manning the picket lines, party’s deputy leader sipped bubbles and settled down to watch the Marriage of Figaro

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/24/exclusive-labours-angela-rayner-brings-splash-champagne-socialism/ (£££)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    edited June 2022
This discussion has been closed.